Julina of Blackstone - 042 - Tribulations And Trials

Printer-friendly version

A surprising turn of events

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

042 – Tribulations And Trials


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
042 – Tribulations And Trials

Maker!

Berdon and Bettayla are GOOD!

'Twould be impossible for me to describe all that they said and did, I believe I would never have sufficient time nor paper.

Their ability to make their audience believe in the scenes they provided was something the like of which I had never before seen.

And they were very clever with the use of various extra inanimate bits and pieces.

Which made me feel guilty.

For you will remember I made such a fuss and a complaint about all the baggage they had with them when we left Tranidor.

They were very clever with their use of it. Some of the baggage itself was used to indicate a door, a wall or a window, for example. For their large cases could actually be dismantled and parts of them slotted together to build things on their performance area that made credible representations of other things.

In two bells of rapt attention from those watching and listening, we were subjected to tears and laughter, worries and happiness, friendship and enmity, joy and sorrow. And every other emotion you can think of.

The words they used were very very clever, and their abilities to put on different characters was quite amazing to those of us who had never seen any such thing before.

They portrayed small children, young growing kids, young lovers, husband and wife, grandparents. They showed us brother and sister, sister and sister, brother and brother, happily newlyweds, unhappily married couples, happily married couples, happy and unhappy grandfolk.

Their brief stories of various stages of life were fascinating and thought-provoking.

The applause at the end was so very well deserved, and the Steward was not slow in wishing that they would decide to come and join us. My feeling was that they had already done so, in all actuality.

It was with this excitement that my time of freedom came to an end. It made it difficult to get to sleep, but once I had, then I slept the night through, not even hearing any noises from the others who were still on the two-sleep routine.

… … ...

I was up, washed, dressed, breakfasted and on the way to the Salon with still a quarter bell before my scheduled start.

However, we started a half bell late.

This was because there were so many people already waiting for me. Too many to fit into the Salon, by far.
There were almost too many to fit into the courtyard at Em's, but the weather, though cold, allowed us to all gather there (to Berdon and Bettayla's disgust, since we woke them, in their words, “far too early”).

We were noisy and I had to get really stern before we could make any progress.

“You can all see that we are too many. So enough of this argumenting. How on Anmar am I going to cope with all this? I want you all to remember why we're here. It is to learn something. If we are all going to just stand here arguing, then NO-ONE is going to learn anything. Had most of you had the courtesy to register your intention of turning up here, then we could have worked a different schedule out, so don't lay ALL the blame on us.

“Already, it is obvious that we need to make other arrangements and we shall do so. I have six bells a week for each of all four groups. One is actually a very small group, but they are quite advanced. So perchance some of you could join in with them. Today is day one. That small group is scheduled to have their times as two bells starting from the third on day two – tomorrow, and in the Miners' Eating Hall – and then four bells, starting at the first, here on day three. So please show me a hand above your head if you can both accept that schedule AND have some knowledge already.

“My brothers and sisters and my friends are all at the required standard, and I would request that YOU all please leave now, along please with Suril and Haka. Those last two may find the schedule more difficult, but we do have alternative possibilities, since Mistress Megrozen will be back in town soon. I deem she shall have to take some of the overflow we have here, and then, when our full-time Teacher arrives we can handle any number!”

The ones I had mentioned were willing to leave with no fuss, which was also part of why I chose them. They filed away and I turned back to the now thinner masses.

“So please show me your hands again, and keep them raised so I can do some counting.”

I looked at all those who had not raised their hands. There were enough younger ones to fill the Salon, and then there were young adults and some older ones. There were eight with their hands raised and I reckoned that the Vale dwellers, my family and my friends would also fill the room, when these eight were added to them.

“Thank you. You may put your hands down now. I will add the eight of you to the other schedule and ask you to leave now, with my thanks for taking the trouble to turn up this morning.”

So then there was the final decision to make.

I decided there and then to split them into three based on age, at first.

“Right then, we shall start by splitting you into rough bands of ages. There are some reasons for this, since my experience shows that different ages have different ways of thinking. I believe that by the time the Teacher arrives, then we will be able to split the groups into terms of ability which will make things easier for everyone. So now I will split you into three groups, each to have two bells a week. I deem that it is easier for all should the younger ones come for the second set of two bells, allowing the older two groups to start early and get off to their duties earlier. Is that fair?”

There were no grumbles and no moans, and I breathed a sigh of relief. “So all you younger ones, you may leave now and I shall see you again at the third Bell in five days. Please remember that we are just starting out, and we ourselves are learning, so there is nothing to worry about being sent home now. We just did not anticipate quite so many of you. From next week, we shall be far better organised.” They gathered their things to them and departed, some looking relieved, some grumpy, but most of them looked confused.

“So my final question is do any of you have a preference for this morning or the morning in five days? Those with a definite preference for today, please raise a hand.”

There were two hands and two of those who wanted definitely to do it today, and most of them were the younger ones.

“Finally, then it is clear. All those with hands up, please go into the Salon now, along with you, you, you and you,” I said pointing at the individuals. There were a few more I pointed at as well, and then the three groups had been chosen. Some who left were grumbling, but I was unable to see any other solution. So I led the rest into the Salon.

At long last we could get started.

… … ...

I fail to believe that you would have any interest in what went on in my lessons. The differences in abilities was the first to make itself known, and the students who would get angry, and the ones who were just there to spend some time and so on. Yes, there were some of all of them, and I was quite grateful that my heavy involvement would last only two or so weeks.

Except even that was wrong.

School lasted a mere two days for me that week.

I started with the young adult Townsfolk and then continued with some Wagoneers, before we got going in the kitchens.

Em had taken reservations for eight people for our first night officially open, and had 'gently persuaded' them that they all wanted the same thing!

And yes, it was my gavakhan meal.

Borden and Bettayla were also seated in the Salon for their evening meal, so there were ten diners on our opening night.

And we were astounded that all ten of them actually purchased a fork, one of the specially decorated forks that Em had commissioned.

Our team worked well together, we had no problems the whole night, and we had time to prepare some of the things for the following night when we would be doing three different meals, served to a dozen diners.

It was a success all around.

I think I deserved to get to my bed that night.

… … ...

The next day was an easier start; I had the miners up at the Miner's Eating Hall for the first two bells, followed by the 'Vale' class, the Vale residents, my family and friends and the eight who had put up their hands the day before. Those eight were not, in fact, as advanced as the others, but we soon worked altogether, the other students helping enormously. This was without doubt the group I had the most fun with so far, and not because they were mostly all familiar to me. They were the most relaxed, the ones more prepared to help each other and so on.

I left the Miners' Eatery and was making my way across the Parade Ground when Uncle, Master Pocular, Master Fedren and Papa intercepted me.

“Julina m'dear,” started Papa, “there is a change of plans. A semaphore message has been received that is going to change your week. The three men that are in the cells in Tranidor, that you were somehow involved with, are to be tried. They require your presence downvalley. So we must depart tomorrow morning early to get there as soon as we can.”

I took a breath to complain, but Papa held up a hand.

“Hold a while, 'Lina. That's not as bad as it first appears. Another semaphore tells us that Mistress Epp shall be back here this e'en. She shall take over your lessons and Molly is sure that she can cope in the kitchens, Kords shall help her there as well. Master Pocular shall accompany us, that you may introduce him and myself to Master Tapio. Master Fedren shall also accompany us, as he is now fit enough to ride a frayen, and requires to meet with his counterpart in Tranidor, and also see for himself various things on the way down. Finally, you shall require some female company so Mistress Sukhana has agreed to come with us as the Claw requires certain supplies and is yet relatively quiet for now.”

He glanced at Uncle and grinned.

“And it seems that Master Brydas here might also accompany us. He claims he too has business in Tranidor. We shall obtain lodging in an inn that Mistress Sukhana recommends.”

… … ...

Another hectic day had passed by the time I got to bed that night. Again, I refrained from the two sleep routine for we had an early start.

Epp had returned with the shuttle and had popped briefly into the kitchens to chat with us as we worked there, and, when she learned that I would have to return to Tranidor, she promised to send a message for us all to stay again at her house. That pleased me, for I knew that my Call was due, and to be in familiar surroundings with familiar people would be something of a relief.

We also chatted about the schooling, which was the original reason she had popped in, and whilst she was in the kitchens, she suggested a couple of improvements and also gratefully received some tips from us. The meal was again a success, apparently, and the girls who were serving reported that again several of the customers purchased the special forks. For the second night running, they received some small coin which we placed in a cooking pot that had a hole in the bottom and was therefore useless for its designated job! We agreed that we would throw everything we got into that pot and then divide it at the end of the week. I realised that I would be away again and so the most of it would be for the others.

So were the thoughts running through my head as I prepared myself for the journey we were about to commence. My breath was steaming in front of me, as was Papa's when we walked down to the courtyard of the Claw, arriving there some hand of moments before the time agreed.

It seemed to me very strange to have arrived in my home town and to be leaving it again only four days afterwards. It was like I had only come here for a short visit, and was leaving again after a brief stay.

“Good morrow all. Now the latecomers have finally deigned to join us, we can begin our double-checks.” Sookie's teasing tones rang out as Parry rushed round checking saddles and fixings. And loading the baggage frayen that would also be with us. Papa, Uncle and Master Fedren were confirming the list of equipment that each would carry, while Master Pocular was carefully wrapping some glassware that he wanted to take with him. I went to Sookie and we gave each other a little hug.

I whispered in her ear: “We need to make as much distance as we can today. My Call will start tomorrow. I am hoping we can make Brayview before I have to stop riding. I know there are frequent wagons from there, and I have some credit with the owners there, so we shall find a slightly cheaper option if we rest there.”

I then called for attention from all of them and made an announcement: “I spoke with Mistress Megrozen last night after her return, and she shall send a semaphore, weather permitting, that we may all find accommodation in her house at no cost. We should send one from Brayview, lest the connection with Blackstone is somehow broken, and also to confirm our arrival time, either this evening or on the morrow.”

There were surprised murmurs of thanks from all and Sookie got a calculating look on her face before dashing off somewhere. As soon as she returned, with an extra baggage, we all mounted and led off.

Strangely, Master Pocular seemed the most uncomfortable of us all.

He explained after a little while: “This is only the fifth time I have ridden in such a saddle. They are so very much better, are they not?”

“Indeed so, Master Pocular. And yet I fear for your muscles, Master, at the end of this day. We shall be trying to make as much distance as we can, and I know we managed to make Brayview in a day on our last trip – and that was in a wagon. Ther is a clear chance, as we shall be travelling downhill most of the way, of reaching our destination this very e'en. A hot bath, I can promise from experience, shall ease you once we reach our overnight.”

He grinned as he replied: “I shall endeavour not to hold you back too much, Mistress Julina!”

The journey was mostly laughter-filled and the bells passed almost unnoticed. I was aware of being very tense and snappy, but managed not to be too mean. I knew it was my approaching Call, so I kept a hold on myself.

We all found ourselves amazed as we reached Bezlet well before our earlier made estimate.

“I suspect,” said Master Fedren, “that estimate was made based upon Master Bezlan's return journey to Blackstone. Uphill must surely be a bell longer?”

We had brought some food with us, but were pleasantly surprised to find that one of the workers wives had had the enterprise to offer some simple but freshly cooked food. Sookie and I joined her and chatted while the men did men things at another table. Sookie and I left her with the food we had brought with us, and we talked about recipes and catering for large numbers and for small numbers. It was almost sad as we were called to climb back into the saddles. Although Sookie and I smiled to each other watching a stiff, but uncomplaining, Master Pocular wince as he regained his riding position.

As we regained the main road, a wagon loaded with what looked like regularly-shaped lumps of coal, but a little lighter in colour passed us heading upvalley; something tickled my brain about this. Maybe because this was the second wagon we had seen doing this. But I knew better than to try to force the ideas forward. They would come when they decided to.

We turned the other way and continued, Sookie and I riding side-by-side for a while.

I had already calculated that it was probable we would make it all the way to Epp's house this day, and Sookie silently agreed with me, grinning as we declined to state it out loud, lest poor Pocular be discouraged.

… … ...

And so it transpired.

We had stopped briefly at Brayview where I was greeted with much delight as well as surprise. Sookie and I were in almost desperate need of their facilities by then. Master Pocular, however declined to dismount, and I believe this fact made us all hurry just a little. Basset promised to get a semaphore down to Epp's house to let them know we would be there that night and to order in some of Epp's meals for us.

With my very recent experience, I remembered to warn my fellow travellers about the shock they were about to endure from the noise levels. It was still a shock to me, but not as much as to the others.

“'Lina, you were so right! I had forgotten the sudden changes in noise levels. I am quite surprised at myself.” Sookie looked almost as if she had been hit with a sandbag or something. As indeed were the others.

I pointed out various things and places, and in fact people, to the others as we passed through town.

“Hey, Max! Hello! Are you free tomorrow? I shall have a few tasks for you. Can you come to the house at the second bell? Good, see you then!”

We had crossed the bridge over the Bray; I was pleasantly surprised when one of the toll-takers recognised and acknowledged me. We pressed on in the evening rush as people scurried about, and I had a sudden flush of pleasure as we approached Junction Square and I saw two Wenders, fully laden, performing as I had imagined.

We turned left at Junction Square and joined Main Street, following it all the way to the Market Place. I was chatting non-stop as I pointed out places and things, mostly to Papa as he had a more comprehensive knowledge of what I had got up to here a week or so ago. I pointed out the 'Nest' as we squeezed past the Market area.

I particularly enjoyed the surprise on the other faces when we arrived at our destination and they saw the house for the first time.

Karmanya and Jogantha scurried out to greet us when we arrived, and did well to hide their grins as Master Pocular dismounted very awkwardly. Not that the rest of us were much better off. We stretched our arms and backs after reaching the ground once more and each of us sort of bobbed up and down a bit to stretch our tortured leg muscles. My respect for the Valley Messengers was vastly increased after the ride we had just had. I was doubtful if I would like to repeat it any time soon. Sookie was in full agreement.

The two girls were briefly confused as they looked at the party, but then they both came across to me, being the only face with which they were familiar. Despite being the youngest there, it was natural for me to introduce each traveller to the girls, and of course the girls to the travellers. Their training kicked in as they ushered us first into the family room before they ran up and down the stairs as they showed each of us to their rooms. Both Uncle and Sookie blushed when they were assigned a room to share, but that didn't stop them doing so!

I ensured that poor Master Pocular had the priority when it came to the first bath to be prepared.

I had the same room as I had had before, and all the others were settled in quickly and comfortably, among several gasps of surprise at the richness of the arrangements.

I had little to do, now I had made the introductions and so on but all noticed that I was a little short tempered. I believe that they all assumed that it was because of the stress of the journey and the lack of comprehension as to why this wretched trip was even necessary.

I groaned a little.

I was glad we had done the journey so quickly since I knew my Call was going to start in the morning and the travelling had been complete before the discomfort really started. (On the following days, the girls and Sookie helped me keep calmer than I would have been had I been at home, where my family would have known to not annoy me too much.)

Once we were all settled in, we were called to the dining table where some of Epp's delicious foods were on offer, and consumed with gusto. Master Shemel joined us and welcomed us, introducing himself and both Termerik and Mohini. Those two younger ones went off quite soon, but Master Shemel stayed and chatted for quite a while with the rest of us.

… … ...

The next day got underway with a group breakfast at which much of the surprise at the luxury of our accommodation was worked out, and became somehow of less importance. That being swept out of the way for now, we could all be more practical. Unconsciously, I took charge, and requested that each person tell me their needs and desires for the day.

Master Shemel and the boys had long gone off to their daytime tasks. I was aware of the vague noises they produced as they departed, but it was not enough to fully wake me, so our group was alone. I noticed just how more subdued that breakfast was than those we younger ones had enjoyed. I found myself starting to get irritated at that, but knew that reaction was just so unfair.

Fedren wished to make contact with both the leader of the Town Watch, Master Jalmond, and with the court officials to let them know we were here and could attend the trials – in other words to allow them to set finally the date.

It was necessary for me to introduce Master Pocular and Papa to Master Tapio, and I wanted Papa, in particular, to meet with Master Ruckem. Master Pocular was suffering with his muscles but I confess I admired him for the lack of complaints.

I felt myself getting snappy with some of them as various, to me, trivial considerations were brought up, considerations that made not a bit of a difference to the general plans. Sookie took my hand under the table and squeezed gently. I stopped myself with an effort.

Just before we all left the table to go and make the final preparations before our departures, Karmanya bustled in, leading a grinning Max into our gathering.

“Young Max here says that you asked for him, Mistress Julina?”

“Thank you, Karmanya. Indeed I did.” I thanked her and dismissed her with a nod as I turned my attention to his infectiously grinning face.

“Good morrow, Max! I trust you have not been disturbed to come and attend us this morn?”

“Oh no, Mistress J! I have not had many tasks at all since you left a week ago! I had not anticipated so soon a return.”

“Nor had I, Max, nor had I! So what has happened in that week since we left? Anything of importance?”

“Indeed yes, Mistress. And it concerns YOU!”

Everyone's attention sharpened at that.

“What have I done now? I just answered a summons to attend the trials!”

“Well, Mistress. On the feast day to start the new year, the Count arranged for some wagons to be provided, to allow the elderly and infirm to attend the activities, most of which were up in the grounds of the castle ...”

“Yes, I remember the public announcements. So he did do all that then?”

“Oh aye, Mistress. And it proved very popular. So much so, that the citizens have loudly demanded that the service continues. And so, today, Master Tanon's company are going to implement the scheme again. They had four wagons working yesterday and all were swamped in great demand. Of course, they have explained that there has not been enough time to prepare the specially-designed wagons they shall introduce next month, but already I know many have purchased the books of tokens.”

“Ah! So my 'wenders' are going to be used, then? I feel quite proud of that idea.”

Max laughed a little wryly. “Mistress, I know that it was your idea, after all I was present for many of the chats and discussions you had when designing the idea. But I must tell you that the count is claiming it all as HIS idea.”

“What?” interrupted Papa. “How can he do that? Will that cause difficulties for Julina here? We need to get this settled before it goes too far!”

I was actually glad that Papa had said something, otherwise my retort may have been too angry. It afforded me time to bite back my immediate response.

“Papa, we shall remember to talk about this with Master Ruckem later.” I turned from my father and back to the little lad.

“Right then, young Max. I shall need you to take a message to Master Ruckem to arrange a meeting at his convenience. While you are doing that, I shall take us all to Master Tapio's. You shall find us there, or in the 'Nest' to bring the answer, and then you could lead Master Fedren here to Master Jalmond. They might then send you off for a further task to the courts. This will cover the two important initial meetings, and maybe even the third one; then we shall have time to do something for Mistress Sukhana and Master Brydas there.”

“Very good, Mistress. Shall I go now?”

“If you would. The sooner the better, I deem.”

With that, Max scurried off.

I was immediately bombarded with questions about the 'wender things' which I put off, promising to explain all later.

Then it was time for the two girls to ask questions. They too turned to me, crowding me slightly and pressing me with questions.

It was pleasing and yet also irritating that I had been elected to be the 'leader' of our group. The others, of course, had not been here before, so I suppose that was a contributory factor, but I felt a greater sense of responsibility as I was organising mature adults (including my own father) rather than the group who were nearly all my own age.

“Mistress Julina, shall we need to prepare a mid-day meal? Should we try to get Mistress Bratet to come back? We had little notice of your arrival. Apparently, the weather prevented communications all the way up to Blackstone, so your message from Brayview was the first we knew about anything.”

“What do you usually do for food for Master Shemel and Mistress Megrozen's sons?”

“Why Mistress, we, that is Jogantha and I, usually prepare one evening meal a week. The midday meal does not happen as the men are away all day. The other evenings we have meals supplied by Mistress Megrozen's business. They keep a track of what we have had and supply a different meal each time, so we do not eat all the same thing every night.”

“Can that arrangement be extended to include us six?”

“Why certainly, Mistress. It would be no great hardship for anyone.”

“Then let us make as few changes to your routine as we can. We shall take light lunches at the 'Nest' or somewhere similar and eat here of an evening. We also do not know as yet exactly when we shall be required at the trials, so it seems more sensible for us to be available elsewhere during the days.”

“Very well, Mistress. Shall we clear away now?”

I glanced round the table and got a nod of assent from them all.

“Very well, Karmanya. Thank you again for your service. And very well everyone, we shall depart soon. Does anyone need a little more time, or shall we meet at the front door to depart in a quarter of a bell?”

Thus it was agreed, and our day started.

… … ...

“Well met, Mistress Julina.”

“Well met, Master Tapio. I would first introduce my father, Master Kordulen ...” I waited as the two acknowledged each other, before continuing: “... and this is Blackstone's glass-smith, Master Pocular; they both, you shall no doubt recall, are the names on the Exclusivity Licence for the hand-mirrors. Master Pocular's is also on the one for the Beam Lantern … ... Then this is Master Fedren, our Sheriff, our senior Watchman if you prefer … ... and, finally for the men, this is Master Brydas, our town smith. Fully finally, this is the most excellent Mistress Sukhana, who is also a good friend to our Baroness, Lady Garia. She runs the offices, kitchens and dormitories and so on for Master Tanon's company up in Blackstone.”

“I am honoured to meet you all, Mistresses and Masters. I am somewhat surprised to see Mistress Julina again – and so soon! But 'tis always a pleasure. We have, I deem, much to discuss Pocular that will be of little interest to these others, but first let us all partake of some pel and we can all chat in a civilised fashion before we glass men start to bore you all.”

This chat was very friendly and good natured. It lasted perhaps a quarter of a bell, by which time I could sense a certain impatience in Master Pocular. We were just about to leave the glass men to get on with their arcane matters when we were interrupted by the arrival of Max and Master Ruckem.

Another round of introductions ensued which took a hand of moments. Master Pocular and I caught each other's eyes and we ruefully grinned at each other, each aware of the frustrations caused by yet more delays. Even Master Ruckem seemed a little frustrated by the time wasted in all this politeness, and yet that politeness was essentially the very backbone of the way our society functions.

Max at last went off with Fedren, guiding him to Master Jalmond's.

Then the rest of us, following Master Ruckem's urgings, repaired to the 'Nest' to have some more discussions which he deemed necessary. Master Ruckem's antics seemed a little strange to me but I did not delay us by querying it.

Of course, in the 'Nest' a surprise awaited us. Master Moshan himself was there to see me. He had been sitting there waiting for us, in a corner and unrecognised until my sudden ejaculation told the entire establishment who he was. I cringed at my lack of discretion.

I shall not bore you with details of the ensuing chats, once the owner had greeted me enthusiastically, but Papa and Uncle took far less time than Sookie and I to grasp the points of 'banking' as Milady Garia had proposed. It was very strange because I was struggling with a great many unasked questions when suddenly those thoughts seemed to pop in my head, and I understood what they were saying. It was less than a moment later that Sookie's face showed that she too had now suddenly understood.

And all four of us now suddenly had things they called 'accounts'.

And Sookie had access to one set up for Master Tanon's business. Which was one of the reasons she had wanted to come to Tranidor, Master Tanon telling her to arrange something with Master Moshan's people.

Uncle spent most of his money down here, getting supplies so it made sense for him.

Papa was going to receive some payments for the hand mirrors and so on, so it made sense for him (and Master Pocular) to have one. In fact, we were tasked with the job of explaining to Master Pocular tonight about this new 'banking' system and telling him about the account that shall by then be opened for him.

My account had been set up even as we left last time, and I was surprised to hear that I actually had some coin in it already.

“From the advanced sales of the Wender blocks of tokens.”

This remark did not go unnoticed by some of the others seated near to us, other customers of the 'Nest'. Soon, to my embarrassment, the story of the inventing of the Wender system was being told to a broader audience. The owner, Goodman Kaffer, confirmed much of the story, explaining that many of the developmental discussions took place here in this very room.

One old man surprised me then, when he came up to me and said: “Ah knewed old Wet Trews never thort of it 'isself! Young Mistress, might I be permitted to buy yerself a drink as a thank 'ee? Or per'aps a pastry? 'Tis a wondrous thing what yer done. An' me old Ma were right thankful, I can tell 'ee.”

I was further embarrassed by the attention and the gratitude, but not so much so that I did not notice and realise that the two Bankers were surprised by the depth of feeling of the citizens. It was obvious to me that they had expected the project to be a minor way of gaining coin, but the reactions from those around made them adjust their expectations, at least that was the way it seemed to me.

… … …

It was not long after that that the finance men left us to our own devices and so I was again elected to the role of tour guide. I was totally at a loss as to what to do and in what order. I had a million ideas yet none seemed to stand out.

And then it struck me.

We were here (at least I was) for the trials of three different men. Why not show them the scenes of the events?

We set out first in the direction of Mistress Nayet, which was not too distant.

… … ...

“ … up there. I happened to look out of the window and saw Brathan. It seemed he lived here on an upper floor; this used to be called the 'Gallin House' because ...'

… … ...

“ … was where Bormio had his shop, which you can now see is secured …”

… … ...

“ … Salien was telling everyone everyone else's private business. Duke Gilbanar had specifically mentioned in their charter that every message was to be treated as secret, and there would be charges of treason if anything of use to a potential enemy ...”

… … ...

In this way, that first day flew past. Uncle decided to send a semaphore to Blackstone as we were at the Tranidor East station. This time the privacy was such that none of us had a chance to overhear or oversee what he sent.

I was able to tell everyone about the other stations around Tranidor, and the reasons that they were where they were. (I also explained about the Count's desperate attempts to get all the semaphore traffic that passes through both the West and East stations to be routed through his castle one – which produced disbelieving laughs from my audience. Followed by a mature reflection when they realised I was not joking.)

… … …

“ … he tried to intimidate your Baroness and also the Prince when they arrived, supposedly as his guests. But the Prince had taken some precautions. Had the 'In Order' signal not come, then most of the citizens here would have been helping the miners demolish the castle walls. Seriously. It was at that point. As it was, when the crunch-point came, it was the Count who wet his trousers. The Count went off with the Prince and the Baroness and was duly rebuked by Duke Gilbanar. While he was away, the Countess introduced some measures that eased things for us citizens, and the Count has been more subdued. But he is slowly returning to his old ways unless held in check by his wife. However, he HAS done some things that have eased our lives in some areas. With this new banking system set up by Master Moshan, there is more actual coin available for exchange and that has allowed us all a certain greater degree of freedom.”

Thus was how Shemel explained, with small contributions from Termerik and Mohini, to us over the dinner table about the situation here in the Town.

And about the man we were going to see, and perchance meet, on the morrow.

Fedren had returned from Master Jalmond with the news that the Count was supposedly grateful for our swift reaction to requests to attend, and that the trials with which we were to be involved would take place on the morrow, but there was no way to predict either the order of events nor their duration.

We discussed other things over dinner, of course. We told Master Pocular about the banking system and he was grateful for our help in opening such an account for him. He in turn reported that he found Master Tapio a good choice and he congratulated me upon that selection.

This led on to my explaining again my involvement in all three of the trials that would happen, and I pointed to the dent in the table where Bormio's comeuppance occurred.

Sookie then asked Uncle about the semaphore he had sent and he replied that it was about the coke wagons.

'Ding!'

That elusive memory from the journey down shot into my head.

“Uncle! I thought you, or Sethan rather, were making this 'coke' stuff up at your workshops?”

“Well that is so, but our emphasis has changed. We suddenly find that we need far more than we can produce ourselves, so I have ordered two wagons a day from now until the end of this week, then a further wagon a day for the week after that, to have a pile in stock, ready to use as and when we need it.”

“But from where does it come?”

“Well, something they call a 'coke plant' – apparently the word 'plant' has an alternative meaning of somewhere an industry or business or habitation has been 'planted' to establish a semi-permanent presence - has been established on the banks of the river just north of Haligo. They are still in their early days, but have established a smaller 'plant' to produce coke to use in the making of the larger 'plant'.”

“Why there?”

“Well, as I suspect you all know, it is expected that we shall be shipping our coal downriver in barges soon. A wharf is being built on the river bank by Bezlet, just under Kord Peak.” He glanced quickly at Papa as he said this. “So it was decided to build this 'plant' as far downriver as those barges could travel. That way the finished coke is as near as practical to the rest of our nation, in particular to the steel 'plants' that are being constructed down near Teldor. These are being made there to be near the ore supplies in particular from the Telar Valleys. Other steel 'plants' are also planned for near Tranidor, to take advantage of the ores from the Sufen Valley. The Haligo location is just about half-way in travel time between those two other locations.

“Coke is less messy to transport than coal, and is, in fact lighter in weight, as well as colour. A coke wagon can be loaded with a greater volume of coke than coal ….”

“Ah!” I exclaimed, interrupting. Everyone looked at me.

“Oh! I was wondering what that wagon we saw going up to Blackstone was. It was one of your loads of coke. I ...” I broke off as another thought occurred.

The others all looked at me, but by then I was somewhere else.

I was vaguely aware of them restarting, and of Papa waving his hands saying that I was fine, or that there was nothing to worry about, or something like that. But my brain was buzzing. It struck hard up against another obstacle and I once again consigned it to the back of my brain, tuning back into the conversation.

“... most of the steel required will be used down in the Great Valley, eventually. But in building up a steel industry, then the vast majority of the steel will be first required in that very growth itself. So various compromises will have to be employed until it all settles down.”

The conversation drifted then off to other subjects and we eventually rose from the table after making arrangements for an early breakfast in the morning.

… … ...

And so it was that we all six went off to the trials, hoping that the proceedings could be kept short. I for one wanted to explore more of the castle grounds to which we would have access, not having seen them before. Uncle would have to leave the trials at the fifth Bell for a meeting he had arranged, but which he wouldn’t tell us about. Poor Sookie would have to stay with me, as it was more than unusual for women to be alone, of course.

I was sure that I would have preferred a saddle on a frayen than a day sitting on what was I was certain was going to be a hard wooden bench.

… … …

“What’s that whore doing here?” came a shrewish scream. I looked around at the noise and I was shocked to see Mowlia screaming about ME. She made to dart towards me, her fingers extended as though to scratch my eyes out.

But Sookie was quicker and stood between us, and then Fedren, Papa and Pocular formed a further barrier, with Uncle behind me in case of any attack from that direction.

Mowlia still tried to get at me though and suddenly I had had enough. A bright red rage filled me. I found myself trying to get past my guardians and scratch HER eyes out. I saw two others with Mowlia, just behind her, which made me even angrier. I would have lost my temper completely if Papa had not gripped me, shaken me and hissed “Julina!” in that special way that all my life had managed to control me.

“Sit,” he hissed. “This is more evidence for this trial to see with what unreasonableness you have had to cope.”

I automatically obeyed that stern father’s voice but it was not until my backside met the hard wooden bench once more, that the red mist slowly started to disappear. I sat on my hands in the hope that that would help me calm down quicker.

I heard several people shouting all at once.

Nearest to me, Sookie was forcefully but calmly, in an icy way, saying: “If you lay one more finger on any part of me again, I shall break it – and probably a few others as well. I have witnesses here that can confirm you have been warned.”

Mowlia stopped just for a breath or so but then she reached once more for me, this time to Sookie’s right.

“Mistress, decease. Immediately.” This came from one of the two others I had assumed were also attacking me, but whom I now saw were officers attempting to stop Mowlia.

“What is this all about? I will not have my trials so interrupted. This is no fishwife’s gathering nor some unsavoury tavern in which to have a brawl.” The Count Trosanar was on his feet, transported into a rage almost as great as my own.

Mowlia, by now grasped firmly from behind by the Count’s officials, who were hanging onto her arms, didn’t stop screeching, but her outbursts were mostly unintelligible. The officials dragged her away to stand in front of the Count, who was flanked by the Countess as they both sat up on their dais. Two other people hovered ineffectually nearby, and I realised that they must have accompanied Mowlia here.

“Silence that woman,” yelled the angry Count to his officials, but Mowlia would not stop. Finally, his patience snapped. “Send her to the cells, see if that will bring about some sense.”

Mowlia dragged an arm free and pointed directly at me. “She stole it. It should be mine, but SHE stole it.”

“Then throw her in the cells too until we get these wretched trials over and done. It might be better to find a different cell though.”


up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh give me a break

The Count is being his usual stupid self, throwing people into cells just because of a stupid accusation from somebody clearly insane?

Trosonar is a perfect example of why there needs to be a mechanism for removal of nobles who are not running their demesne properly. Trosonar is not even her liege.

No Fair!!!!

Skidding to a stop in this chapter is NO FAIR! I'm sure Julina would agree as she is about to experience the cells. Oh what fun this is going to be.

DJ

Another excellent chapter

Which just goes to show, that you can organize your life as much as you want, but sometimes life will just turn round and grab you gently by the throat...

Nice to see another chapter of tales 'up north'.

Penny

well that will cause a small

well that will cause a small riot or at the very least an argument if he actually tries to follow through with thowing julina in a cell

princess??

Is Keren now a princess?

I'm sure that is a typo

... unless that is a bit of a foreshadowing ^_~.

The country would be really progressive with a lesbian marriage though. ^_^

eeeek

thanks for pointing that out. I originally wrote Baroness and Prince, but decided that it would have to be the other way round, precedence and all that. My global changer just changed the first part of the word. Strange I didn't see that on the read through before and after posting. Thanks for pointing it out.

J

Order of precedence

As an aside, in SEE I've tried to be very careful what order people are named and addressed.

I think I've mostly got it right but the eagle-eyed among the readership may notice some discrepancies: these are mostly intentional.

Sometimes a change in the order of precedence is due to circumstances, like when Garia held her court in Blackstone. Since it was her court, she was named before Keren, who was merely an 'observer'.

- Of course, spelling and grammar checkers some times have other ideas. A pox on unwanted helpers!

Penny

I would certainly hope that

I would certainly hope that the Count is not deciding he is going to toss Julina into a cell as well? If he does that, he just may find that his days as a Count are numbered and his entire city will revolt against him, as I am sure will his wife. He also has the additional problem that Julina is not a subject of his, rather she is under the protection of Baroness Garia, the betrothed of Prince Karen, the future king and she being the future Queen. Pretty much his "stock" will have a major fall, if he doesn't "wake up and come to the party."

It's not that simple

While Julina is a vassal of Garia, the alleged victim is a vassal of Trosanar and the alleged offense took place in Tranidor.

That probably gives him enough rights to hold her and try her - should the allegations prove to have foundation.

If that were not true, anyone from out of town could commit any crime and be immune to prosecution.

Penny

Nice Cliff

Thanks for the new episode. I can't imagine that Trosanar won't be convinced not to arrest Julina, but hopefully we'll find out soon.