Just Friends? Part 5

Printer-friendly version

My entry in the Reader Retention contest.

Just Friends? Part 5

by **Sigh**
Copyright © 2019 plaintivesigh
All Rights Reserved.

Friends can indeed be lovers. But is "being lovers" an act of friendship at this critical time?


~o~O~o~

Rick was now back at his apartment with Meghan. He had barely relaxed onto the couch when the doorbell rang. “Right on time,” chirped Meg as she hopped to the door. It was Lizzie. She still wore her work clothes, a power skirt and blazer with a pink blouse; her blonde hair cascaded in ringlets around her shoulders.

“I was able to take off early, as we discussed. Most of my accounts are up to date, and I came in early this morning to do paperwork so it was no problem. Tag me,” she said to Meg. Both women tapped palms together like a wrestling team changing turns in the ring, right in front of Rick.

Meghan turned to him. “Now I have to go work. I got my schedule adjusted this week to where I can be here during the day, and Lizzie can be here for the evening. Then I’ll be back for the late night until Liz comes back tomorrow. We’ll do this until you’re safe being alone.”

Rick fretted. “So basically I’m being a huge burden on you guys.”

“You don’t have anyone else to do this, right? You told me that your family was not an option,” Meg replied. “And shush with that ‘being a burden’ talk. I’m happy to be of help. I know Lizzie feels the same way.”

“You’ll be getting a huge bill from me when you’re better, though,” Liz cracked. “Just kidding!” she then smiled

Meg looked at the time on her phone. “Sorry – I really have to go and change before I show up at the restaurant. Love you, Lizzie – and you too, Big Bear.” She then sped out the door.

~o~O~o~

“I brought some stuff for dinner. Let me whip it up for you. I chose food that I thought you’d like.” said Lizzie.

“A nice steak and baked potato?” Rick said, hopeful.

“Romaine salad with turkey, walnuts and cranberries it is, then.” Lizzie laughed. “I should clarify: I chose food I thought you’d like off of a Foods that Fight Depression article on the internet.”

“Lizzie – I don’t really feel worthy of all this loving attention you guys are giving me.”

“Hey, big guy – anyone in your sitch deserves TLC. Now don’t mention that again. You’ve got more self-esteem than that. Give me 10 minutes and our meal will be ready.”

~o~O~o~

“That really was tasty. Thanks, Liz. You sure have been a friend to me through this. Don’t want to think about what would’ve happened without you and Meg.”

“Glad to help. And glad you liked the salad. Did you get full enough?”

Rick smiled. “It takes a lot to fill me up. But this was fine. I need to cut back and lose a few pounds, anyway.” His countenance then turned more sober. “Have you talked with Beth since … since the ‘intervention’ last night? Does she know what you and Meg have been doing?”

Lizzie rolled her eyes. “Your wife called me during my lunch hour today. I told her how devastated you were, and what Meg and I were doing. Her response? “You ought to have them put him in the psych hospital; don’t get in trouble with your work trying to take care of him.” I was flabbergasted, I tell you. This doesn’t seem like the same ‘bestie’ I’ve known for the last year and a half. I can’t fathom why she is so cold to you. What happened between you two? This can’t be just a simple one-off affair.”

Rick shook his head and gazed at the ground. “This is my fault. I can’t give her what she needs.”

“So – you’re not beating her, or abusing in any way?”

“NO! No way, not ever. Would you even be here alone with me if you thought that was a possibility?”

Lizzie pulled a small black box out of her purse. “Didn’t think so. But I always carry Sparky here with me just in case.” She pressed a button on the box and produced a visible crackle of electricity between 2 small metal points on the front.

Lizzie replaced the device in her purse and looked back at Rick with concern. “Now what do you mean – you can’t give her what she needs? She never mentioned anything like this to me.”

“That’s because she was respecting my wishes – I didn’t want her discussing this with anybody. And sorry, Liz – I don’t feel comfortable talking about it with you. Just suffice to say that I have a problem that caused the death of my marriage. And it’s the reason why I basically need to avoid sex for the rest of my life now. I’ve already said too much. Let’s change the subject, please.”

“Okay – we won’t talk about sex. Let’s talk about love in general. A new romance. I usually think “rebound “ relationships are a bad idea – but a new lady in your life who loves you might really help you through this. Maybe not. I’m no psychologist. But love is available to you, right now. In fact, I can’t believe you can’t see it.”

Rick’s eyes got wide. “Liz – let me get this straight – are you coming on to me?”

Lizzie slapped her forehead. “No, no. I mean, not that you aren’t a catch-and-a-half. And I am single, and you’re a big handsome … “ She shook her head as if to clear it. “NO. Besides, I don’t move in on a girlfriend’s guy.”

Rick sighed. “She’s filing for divorce. I don’t think she considers me her guy.”

Lizzie laughed. “I’m not talking about Beth, doofus. I’m talking about Meg.”

“Meg?!” Rick was nonplussed.

“Yes. Meg. She loves you like a sister, she says – but anyone can see she’s infatuated. Sure, she just broke up with that other guy – Derek, I think his name is? – but her eyes light up when she’s around you. I’m just saying, you guys already have a long history of friendship; maybe this is the universe’s way of working things out for the best.”

“The psychiatrist disagrees. He thinks I’m too emotionally fragile to have a romance now – especially with Meg. He’s ordered –” Wait a minute, Rick thought. I don’t need Lizzie knowing that Meg’s not supposed to be here tonight. – “Ahh … ordered me not to get in a new relationship now.” So Meg’s infatuated with me, he mused

Eliza looked flustered, then walked to the refrigerator. She looked in the freezer, and then pulled out a pint of premium chocolate almond ice cream. “Okay, he’s a shrink, not a cardiologist,” she yelled from the kitchen. “I know he didn’t forbid you to indulge in Haagen-Dazs!”

~o~O~o~

Rick fell asleep on the couch at 10:30 pm, with Liz watching him while she did some make up work on her computer from the dining table. When he woke up there in the morning, he could feel a softness pressing into his front. He looked down and saw a head of auburn hair underneath his chin. Meg, he knew.

Meghan had “tagged” back in at midnight, and changed into her pink sweats and carefully spooned into Rick from the front, trying not to wake him. But she did not have a restful night. Her head was filled with dreams – wet ones. Specifically, in her mind, she and Rick made love all night.

Now, she sighed and slowly squirmed, pressing her butt into Rick’s groin. He felt arousal beginning all over his body. Still sleepy, he put an arm around Meg’s waist and squeezed her tighter to his torso. She smiled and sighed, fully in dreamland.

“MMmmmm … like that,” she sighed.

“Good morning, sleepyhead,” Rick said

“Don’t … don’ stop,” she mumbled

Rick took a deep breath. “Meg. We need to...”

At that moment his hug-partner rolled over to face him. She pressed her ample bosom into his chest, and wrapped her left leg around his right. “Need … you …”

Rick had planned on telling Meghan to disengage from him, but in the face of the physical stimulation he lost all focus. His right arm had been ready to gently push her away, but now it grabbed ahold of her buttock and squeezed.

“Mmmm,” she sighed. Her face was now at his Adam’s apple. She still was only barely waking up, and did what felt natural for her – she kissed his neck. Just as she dreamed she’d been doing all night. Something nagged at her conscience – isn’t this wrong? No, no – how can it be? It feels so good.

Rick’s drowsy mind was now disengaged, and his lust was in control. He craned his head down and pulled Meg’s face up to his, planting a wet kiss there. Their tongues intermingled, and his hands were now inside her sweats, caressing her back and butt.

She was in rapturous bliss; half-awake but in full heat. She pulled her sweatshirt off in a quick motion, and pressed her unadorned breasts into Rick. In that moment, she suddenly remembered Dr. Rama’s warning.

Meghan’s eyes grew wide as she was now fully awake. “Rick! We can’t - ” Just as she said this, Rick lifted her right breast up to his mouth, and he began tonguing the nipple and areola. Meg gasped, and a visible shiver encompassed her whole body – otherwise, she was frozen in place by his oral ministrations. He began alternating from right to left breast and back, sucking and licking, as her shivers progressed to shaking tremors with moans and squeals.

Rick paused, his face buried between her two breasts. He now remembered Rama’s order – but he was so turned on. “The doc,” he croaked.

“Screw him,” Meghan groaned. Screw me, she thought.

Rick then took two fingers on his right hand and placed them in his mouth, lubricating them with saliva. Then he took his thumb and reached down; he slid Meg’s sweat pants down to her mid thighs, exposing her lilac panty. His hand dipped inside the front of the panty, searching for the groove he knew was there.

Meghan moaned and kissed his face as he began working his fingers. She seemed to enjoy this, though the shudders had stopped. So he paused long enough to pull her panty off and shift his position, putting his face at her groin level.

“Ohhhhh baby,” Meg moaned as the shivering returned. Rick’s tongue was doing somersaults in her vagina, and she began to spasm, pushing her pelvis against his face as he continued to lick.

She suddenly sat up. “I can’t stand it – I have to have you in me!” Meghan pushed Rick’s face away from her crotch and she began to tug his pants down. But Rick pulled away completely and stood up straight.

“What did you just say, Meg?”

“I have to have you in me, Rick! Please fuck me, now!”

Rick’s face fell. “No, Meg. God knows I want it. But you can’t have me. Not the way you need. It was the same with Beth. I’m sorry, Meg - I shouldn't have allowed us to get this far. But I can’t give you what you want.” He then walked down the hall into the bathroom and shut the door.

Meghan sat naked on the couch, her mind a jumble of surprise, hurt and rejection.

~o~O~o~

She remained that way for nearly a full minute – then she became concerned for Rick. Pulling her sweats back on, she ran to the bathroom and knocked hard. “Rick? What are you doing in there? I don’t hear any water running. Are you okay?”

“Leave me alone, Meg. You can’t help me. No one can help me.”

“What are you doing??” She twisted the doorknob, but it was locked.

“That’s no concern of yours. It’s only my problem. And it needs to be ended.”

“Rick. You open this door right now!” Meghan shouted.

He didn’t respond.

She grabbed her phone and dialed 911.

~o~O~o~

When the police arrived, they kicked the bathroom door in. Inside they found Rick, sitting on the toilet, looking down at an opened pocket knife he held in both hands. There was no blood or obvious injury – yet.

“Drop it!” yelled a young officer, pistol drawn.

“You could help me out,” mumbled Rick. “A bullet would be a lot more effective than a cut. Right here.” – he pointed to his forehead.

“Jenkins, let me handle this,” said an older cop whose nametag said MILLER. “Go get a statement from the lady.” Officer Miller holstered his weapon and squatted so as to be at eye level with the knife man. “Talk to me, Rick. That’s your name, right?”

The cop and the big man talked in the bathroom for twenty minutes until finally an empty-handed Rick emerged followed by Officer Miller. The EMT’s had arrived, and they put Rick in restrictive constraints and took him to the hospital emergency room. Soon after that, he was transported to Passages psychiatric hospital.

~o~O~o~

To be continued tomorrow.

If you've mede it this far, please leave a comment! Don't make me reach through the computer screen and tweak your nose!

Thanks for reading!

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

if Risk isnt trans

maybe some kind of injury? He suffered sexual abuse? come on, dont keep us in the dark!

DogSig.png

updating daily.

more than halfway done. Hang in there, it's coming!

Hugs! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

He needs to be honest

with her, there are medical solution if he simply can't arouse his manhood most good women would understand. Especially meg

Shame and fear

sometimes gets in the way of complete openness and honesty, even for a straightforward guy like Rick.

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Can't wait to read the next chapter

Everyday I have come here looking for the next chapter..poor Rick.....poor Meg....he needs to talk to her, perhaps all his problems get solved. If I haven't said it yes, I love the story.
Karen

Thank you for that last sentence!

I needed some love today (even if it's just for the story!)

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Forgot

Daphne Xu's picture

Darn. I'd completely forgotten that Rick was somehow unable to perform. We have absolutely no idea why, and Rick isn't telling. Nor is Beth. Now, the pigeons have come home to roost.

Actually, there is a second problem. For 1st-person and 3rd-person limited stories, if the reader is in the viewpoint and mind of the character, he should know what the character knows. Yes, I violate that myself, usually for a twist, sometimes for other reasons, sometimes by accident. I really shouldn't. Actually, it's okay if the narrator/viewpoint-character is supposed to be recounting the events to the reader, and omits critical information.

Oh, well. What a web of confusion we weave, if we don't tell.

-- Daphne Xu

Well, Rick has told d few people...

Beth. And Dr. Rama, the psychiatrist, who only hinted at the problem when he addressed Rick and Meg together. Why wasn't he more open? Doctor-patient privilege and privacy laws, I'd guess; Rick probably did not give Rama permission to discuss this with Meg. Which is his right. Is it just plain old ED, or impotence? I'm guessing no ... ED is not such a verboten subject these days, and has multiple types of effective treatments, including implants. Whatever it is, Rick obviously has a fear or shame issue with it. As far as the 1st person / 3rd person status of the story and what the reader should know ... we observe the character's interactions, and have limited insight into their thoughts; if they wish to restrict certain info - like Rick does with his "problem" - then it's restricted until they decide to be open with it. That part is coming, and soon!

I have tried to hint at what I've just said (in the above paragraph) in this story so far. There's only 2-3 parts left, and all will be revealed. I'm sensing some frustration from you and some other readers about the pace of the disclosure. I am updating daily; this series started Saturday. So, that's my reasoning on why we don't know more than we do. I sure appreciate your input, even criticism. That's one of the best ways I learn to write better. Thank you for your comments and input, Daphne!

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Rick

I wonder what happened with Rick. This has been a great drama, and I’m excited for the next instalment!

Thanks, Ara!

I'm exited to read your comment!

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Not so much can't but won't

Jamie Lee's picture

Previous chapters haven't explained why Rick doesn't have sex, but this chapter gave a hint that he can but won't because of a reason he's reluctant to share.

So if he won't then it can't be because of an injury. And since he won't share, then it's because of a psychological scar that was cause by some type of trauma.

Rick has been avoiding his problem to the point of wanting to die. Now that he's been taken to a psychiatric hospital he will now have to deal with his problem or he may not get out any time soon.

And one requirement of facing his problem is telling others about his problems. His fear is the same when Meg told Derek she is a trans woman, the fear of being rejected.

Others have feelings too.

Reading this past chapter

Podracer's picture

-in the future.. Er, or something. Rick's painful secret is remaining just that, and will no doubt be discovered eventually, not just because we are aching for it to come out.
Yeah, enjoying the story, if a little slowly. The big bear is still breakable, his heart won't yet admit there's a way out of the dark. I hope he finds it, some don't.

"Reach for the sun."