The Isle of Dreams: Where Dreams Come True and Nightmares Lurk! Part Three

Printer-friendly version

The Final Chapter! When all seems darkest, that is when one has to be the strongest for that's the sign that the light is coming.

This is a work of fiction. It is loosely based on an old game show. 'Who wants to be a Millionaire. No person or place are intended on being represented in this story. I reserve the rights for the plot and story. As always, the Biggest Thanks goes to the wonderful Cathy for she made this readable.
Enjoy!

The Isle of Dreams
Where Dreams Come True and Nightmares Lurk!

By
Grover
10/29/2017

Chapter Twelve

Royal or Serf

Second Round

Gene Aldric

Back on stage after Rose had 'zipped' me back up. I guessed that this was about the half way point even if twelve was not half of twenty-eight. It was passed this point where the Links cases put the poor contestants on the way to the point of no-return.

Then it was just a short hop, skip and jump to identity death. That was a fate I hoped to avoid.

The staff and crew began hurrying back to their positions and I saw Damon come out of the Accountant's blacked-out booth.

Game on!

The lights came back up and the music soared making me thankful I'd left those plugs in. That was even more so when the audience joined in when Damon walked onto the stage.

The MC held up his arms asking for quiet.

“Welcome to Royal or Serf, Round Two.” He nodded in satisfaction. “We've had an extraordinary show with an amazing contestant. Let's have a big hand of applause for Gene Aldric!”

I waved to the audience and the cameras, smiling.

“So far Gene has opened just over half the Royal cases putting our possible Princess ahead of the odds.” Damon grinned, “However, that also means two-thirds of the Serf cases remain on stage. I must admit even I'm feeling the stress here.

“But the question all of us are asking.” He gave a dramatic pause, “Can she do it?”

The crowd thundered their excitement, making wince despite the ear plugs. However, I kept my smile and my fists unclenched. If there was ever a time as my old crusty Army Sergeant Seymour use to say 'Stay Frosty' it was right now. Don't get excited, get ice cold sharp and don't miss a damn thing because it could and would kill you.

Breathe in, breathe out, remain calm.

“How are you holding up, Gene?” He intrusively put his arm around my shoulders yet again.

“I'm hanging in there, Damon.” My darn too soft near titillating lips almost made that smile genuine. “This has been an unforgettable experience, but I'm determined to play this through not just for myself, but for all of you out there who have helped me.

“Thanks!” I waved at everyone making sure I caught Darlene's eye as it got noisy again.

“We have a game to play,” Damon pointed up at the booth. “But first we have our first offer from The Accountant!”

The holo above us stopped displaying the show's marquee. Five thousand crowns in gold letters appeared with six links in a chain underneath.

“Gene,” Damon pulled me close again. “He's offering enough Crowns to buy your freedom if you accept six link cases of his choice.”

Breathe in, breathe out. He was offering me nothing because that was the worst possible odds results. Really not surprised because he wanted me to keep playing.

Even the audience figured that out as they began shouting, “NO DEAL, NO DEAL.”

“Damon,” I shook my head, “I think I'm going to have to go with them.” I nodded at the shouting assemblage. “No Deal!”

“You heard the lady.” He turned as the stage lights for the cases came up. “Let's play!”

“Case Number Seven,” Facing the stage, I was repeating my mantra over and over again.

Lana opening that case as chains rattled was likely going to haunt my nightmares assuming I had enough brains left to have understand what I was dreaming.

“We have a Serf case.” He really didn't have to say. “The category is genitals and the choices are:

1)Feel like a natural Woman

2)Wild Thing

3)All the options

4)Dolls are beautiful

“Please cast your votes now.”

My heart sank like a torpedoed ship.

The first holo showed a me in a bikini sporting a very obvious camel-toe. I had to assume from that and the title that meant being fully female.

The next one was dressed in a one piece swimsuit who obviously still was male from the bulge. Okay, I really didn't want to lose that part of me, but at the same time I didn't particularly want to be, well, abnormal, was probably the best word. My looking so like an elf was going to make me stand out enough as it was.

The third was also in an one piece, but it took me longer to puzzle out what I was seeing. This me was still male if not as obviously so, but there was something else as well. I know I made a face when I figured out what the title meant and realized this one was a fully functioning hermaphrodite, male and female. No, that would really make me stand out even more than the second.

The fourth was back in the bikini, but was absolutely smooth down there, sexless. Okay that was not good, at all! With my darn luscious lips I think I could figure out how I was expected to experience sex. Thank you but hell no!

“I can see this one is going to be difficult for you, Gene?” Damon hugged my shoulders again. “Your thoughts?”

“I think you're right about that, Damon.” Hopefully my voice stayed level and calm. “My first impressions were A, B, C all the above, or D none of the above.”

“I do like how you simplify things.” He laughed, “Do you have a preference?”

“This is very hard since I think a great number of us use this as how we see and define ourselves.” Stating that me was trying to buy me time to think. This would affect my brains even if it didn't act like some of the other mental changes. “I would hate to lose what I was born with because I don't know of any guy who sees himself as a guy who would want to.

“On the other hand, I can accept, at least intellectually, that if that happens I'm going to find fitting in more difficult.” I shrugged letting my real feelings show a little. Even in this day and age of nanotech, there were issues with just who got to use what public restroom. “The all the above is just the same thing as far as adjusting to all of this. However, the last one, is the worst of them all. That completely removes a person from being part of the miracle of life. I know of people who can't have children and adopt or find other means of having families, but that is an option I would never voluntarily chose.

“I guess I'm saying, I just don't know.” Please let me not be making a mistake by telling the truth here. “The folks here tonight and those watching have done right by me so far. So I'm going to trust you all out there to make the decision for me.”

“That's very brave of you.” He looked stunned although, Damon did cover it up well like the professional he was.

The bell rang.

“Please show us the winner.” He pointed at the holos above.

All the holo disappeared but one of those in the one piece. It was all the above.

My entire loin and lower tummy went numb. I honesty had no idea how or what to feel, besides shocked.

There was a vague feeling of movement inside me which I could make some good guesses as to what. A mild warmth flowed down there. The live holo of me showed a somewhat more prominent bulge than the holo promised, being about the same as 'Wild Thing.' The mons-pubis behind it was well developed too, which felt more than a little strange because I could 'feel' the pressure of the snug catsuit back there.

I wasn't sure, but I think my hips may had expanded some as well during that internal rearrangement. Honestly, I was too stunned at the other changes to really pay attention. Yeah, a case of watching the trees and not seeing the forest grow.

“How are you?” He asked, his eyes very intent.

A flash of intuition hit me. He'd known this was coming. Like Eagle had coached me, this was the make or break where they expected to have to sedate me. Then it would be all over for me. Clear headed I might have a chance, but drugged I was a dead man or whatever I was now.

Breathe in, breathe out, stay calm. So easy to say, but so damn hard to do!

“I'm still here.” I looked up at him with my best go to hell you bastard smile. “How about case 9?”

“Lana, case 9.” He hugged me again.

That was good, but not in the way most would think. My 'irritation' with him flared which helped clear my head better than any drug.

The damn clanking chains that announced another Slave case did it's part too.

“And we have another link case.” Damon read the list. “The category is Breasts and the choices are:

1) Twin peaks

2) Natural wonders

3) Sculptured perfection

4) Valley of Paradise

Please cast your votes now.” He turned to look up at the holos.

The first holo had me back in the catsuit and projected a me with breasts that looked rather generous, but not over-sized. On the other hand, her nipples were very prominent and visible. Sure this catsuit showed everything, but this was more than that. Maybe those wouldn't be comfortable, but at least they weren't beach balls stuck on my chest.

That was answered with next one. They were bigger than than the first, but still looked as the name said, natural. Trying to see them as detached as I could, they were too large for a svelte Amazon.

The next was a pair of perfect spheres that perhaps size wise fit on that body better, but with the Amazons muscles still seem out of place.

The last was a damn big pair of hooters! There was cleavage galore and I feared horrible back pains. They were just too damn large.

“What do you think, Gene?” He draped that arm over me again.

“The first one looks like it might be awkward with them poking out like that.” I couldn't think of a more diplomatic way to say it. “The next holo looks fairly nice, but maybe a bit large for a body that slim.

“The thirds are so round that they almost look like just another set of muscles. Their size seems better, but still doesn't strike me as being very good.” I critiqued what I saw.

“I know a lot of guys are breast men, but those just spoil things.” I shook my head. This had to be done carefully. I knew what kind of changes the girls here usually got. “It's like putting huge off road tires and a bush guard on a sports car. It just doesn't work.”

“Do you have a preference this time or are you going to trust the audience again?” He asked.

“No insult to anyone,” I smiled, “But I think I like Number One the best.”

I was beginning to think the bell was timed to go off just after he asks me my preferences because ring it did.

“Let's see what our audience thinks!” Damon looked up to see the results. “Show us the winner!”

Two holos went out leaving Twin Peaks and Natural Wonders.

“We have yet another tie.” His brows rose as the two holos combined. “Natural Peaks!”

As I'd learned would happen, my formerly flat chest went numb as the nanites did their work. Working on my breathing, I stared upwards at the holo which changed into my actual image again. I was 'not' going to watch my 'chest' inflate.

The natural wonders changed their shape some as the nipples rose in prominence. Me, I could 'feel' all of this happening. I had to lean back a little as my weight shifted to my front.

As much as my damn sensitive lips annoyed me, the nipples surpassed them. The embarrassment factor aside, they were damn delicate erogenous zones which let me 'feel' precisely how tight and form fitting this catsuit really was.

As they 'topped' those natural wonders, I found that they and my new equipment down below were connected. It took me some moments to not show every damn one just how much of 'All the Above' I had now.

Just how I managed to look down at, well, cleavage and not lose it, I'll never know. They most certainly looked a hell of a lot bigger on me than on the holo. Those 'peaks' just added to it all. However, I made, forced, myself to see that this was the last of the physical transformations.

What was to come was going to mess with my mind, wants and desires. My 'wonders' might be right there where I could not possibly ignore them, but they fell far short of what was to come.

Death, my death was on the line.

“How are you holding up?” Damon might've slipped a sneer back onto his face.

“Well, Damon.” I tilted my head to the side. “I'm thinking that I'll have a lot more appreciation for feminine undergarments now.”

His eyes widened just before he failed to keep his face straight and he busted out laughing. That just about caused a riot in the audience's seating as just about all of them joined him and were in danger of falling out of their seats.

Holding onto my calm and keeping my face appearing amused, was a challenge. Part of it was the humor of playing the straight man to the joke of making everyone break up, and the other was to keep myself from joining them and hysterically running out of this place.

I know he had been expecting me to freak out, which was why my humor had caught him by surprise. About the only person besides me who wasn't grasping for breath was Lana who just looked confused.

Giving a it moment's thought, I walked over to the stage displaying the cases.

“Hi, Lana,” I greeted, “I'm Gene. Sorry, but they might be a while.”

“Hi, Jean,” I blinked not really liking the feminizing of my name, but I suppose it was coming. “I really, you know, don't see what was so funny.

“I mean, like, you're not as big as me.” She jiggled her very sizable assets. “But you're still going to, like, need a really good bra. You know the guys likes to see them bouncing around, but, like, that kinda hurts.”

“That's why I said what I did.” I smiled into the vacant blue eyes. “Well, I better go back. We have a game to finish playing.”

“Okie dokie!” Lana smiled vacantly, going back to her pose.

Not trusting myself to bend, kneel, or really do anything, I stood next to the MC

“Feeling better?” I asked, sweetly. Say what you want I have role-played for years. I knew snark. “I have my next number if that helps. It's seventeen.”

“Lana,” Damon chuckled, “Case number 17, please.”

<><><>

The Master's Chambers

The Inner Circle

“Now 'that' is will power.” Delta remarked. “I thought for certain he was going to break after the sex change and the tits, but 'she' even cracked a damn joke!”

“I have to agree.” Epsilon grudgingly nodded. “His history does say he'd been a role-playing gaming hobbyist for decades. That does promote a certain amount of mental flexibility and imagination. Even still, looking at the telemetry it'd been a very near thing.”

Alpha glowered silently in a huff.

“Oh stop your pouting.” Beta admonished. “These readings show that the one that angered you was punished to a hair of his sanity. It anything you should be rejoicing given the way you worship the bottom line.”

“Precisely,” Delta happily added, “The profits for this one program won't be chump change, and it'll greatly boost interest and subscriptions. If I didn't very much doubt this could be repeated, I would campaign for a format change to make this the normal fare.”

“Fat chance.” Zeta as always grunted unhappy as ever. “As a change of pace this works, but our usual bread and butter viewer desires more of a carnal display.”

“We do have to keep in mind this isn't over yet.” Beta pointed out. “If the average works out she should have enough cases to buy out without any other transformations.”

“But if it doesn't.” Alpha growled, he would still get payback, in full.

<><><><><>

Chapter Thirteen

Princess or Serf

Jean Aldric

“And it's a crown case.” Damon proclaimed as the trumpets sounded. “Your total is now 3801!”

“That's great.” My smile stayed in place, but possibly got brighter. “Let's go with case number 12.”

“Let's see case 12, Lana.” The MC called out.

Those damn clanking chains rang through out the studio.

“Bad luck, Jean.” Damon looked up at the holo's “The category is talents.

1) As lithe as a Viper

2) She got legs

3) Looks like a Lady

4) Sings like an Angel

“Please cast your votes now.” He made a dramatic gesture.

This time instead of simply rotating to an all the round view, the images were animated this time. The first one did a slow tumbling routine that made me doubt she had any bones. I mean she was bending over all the way backwards and touching the floor with her palms!

The next me, seemed to have legs all the way up to you know where. Like in the song, she sure seemed to know how to use them as the image danced and whirled.

If the second was strutting her stuff, the third was didn't walk so much as she glided along with aplomb and poise. I had to admit to being surprised that such a 'talent' was even offered given how this show usually appealed to the lowest of the common denominator.

This me was actually singing! Color me surprised since I can't hold a tune in a bucket to save my life. I think the song was by a young pop singer that even I had to admit had a pair of lungs on her. Monique, I think was her name.

However, like I feared they all involved rewiring my brains even more than had been done already. The flexibility thing and the singing might not be so much, but since the others were, I wouldn't bet against it. At the very least my autonomic and muscle memory.

While I'd admit that for the most part these ties hadn't done badly by me, these were different. Each once would be altering some part of, well, the real inner me. Just how to get everyone to agree on one thing I hadn't a clue.

“You look deep in thought, Jean.” Damon put his arm around for about the hundredth time. “You care to share?”

“Well, Damon.” I sure hoped this worked. “These are a little different than the others so far. Being that flexible looks nice, but the second one is dancing and I'm not sure how well some parts of me will take to that now.”

I inclined my head down at my cleavage.

“The next one seems a bit too fake to be real.” I kept my wince to myself hoping trying to steer people away from that wouldn't bite me. From a few boos, I may have screwed up. Lightly, I warned myself. “The last I'm not too sure about either since singing is something I've never been the least bit good at.”

“So the only one you would pick for yourself would be 'As Lithe as a Viper?” Damon asked, raising a brow in question.

“I think so, Damon.” I tried to seem unsure. “I'm just not certain about the others.”

The end of voting bell rang.

'Let's see how sure the audience is.” He and everyone else looked up.

Not a single damn holo went out!

“We have our first four way tie since our first season!” He held onto me. “Hold tight, Jean. This can be disorienting.”

Aww hell! The world sorta faded away as mind got as fuzzy as if on powerful prescription pain-killers, leaving me blinking.

Just as quickly the misty thick headed feeling faded. Almost immediately, I notice my posture changing. It was a bunch of things I never noticed I was doing like how I was standing or slouching just a bit so not to bring too much attention to my natural peaks. That all changed.

“Jean,” The MC suggested, “Why don't you walk to the case stage and back. That will help you adjust to your new talents.”

I nodded, and took a couple of hesitant steps before getting the hang of it. Liking it was a big no. It seems this talent thing affected my subconscious and muscle memory. I moved like a graceful dancer. Even the way I swung my arms changed.

No sighing, I told myself as I turned and walked back like some fashion model. Keep smiling, and don't forget your mantra!

“So how is it?” Damon invaded my personal space once more.

“It's different.” My voice changed too? My tenor sort of sounded the same but it had more of a woman's contralto vibe now. Just great! Read the sarcasm.

“Are you ready for the next case, Gene?” He looked at the stage where over half the cases had been opened.

“Yes,” I concentrated on the task at hand ignoring my voice. “Let's start at the beginning, case number one.”

“At the beginning it is,” The MC declared, “Case One, Lana.”

Somehow I kept from fainting as those trumpets sang out!

I'd done it! But I had to pick one more case to reach the end of the round before I could quit. Please don't let this turn to crap right in my face.

“It's a Crown case!” Damon yelled out. “You have 5101 crowns on the board. You're potentially just two cases away from winning Royals and Serfs!”

The crowd got a little more nuts than before which is saying something. They and I knew there was just one more damn case in this round.

“Let's get to the end of the round first, Damon.” I smiled, tingling and all. “Case number four.”

“Lana, Case Number Four.” He didn't have to quiet everyone down.

I swear I could hear the machinery fans it was so silent except for Lana's heels clicking on the stage. It seemed like it took her an eternity to open Case four.

Trumpets sang out and to hells with it all. I gave Darlene sitting there in the front roll the biggest smile I'd ever smiled in my whole life.

“It's a Crown Case!” He threw his arms up like he'd just triumphed over great odds. “You have 6501 on the board, but there's just one more Crown case on the stage.

“It's the end of Round Two, but we have another commercial break!” He signaled the case stage lights to drop. “Stay tuned for when the Accountant makes another offer!”

“Damn girl,” Damon swore as his assistant handed him a towel. “You're going to be the death of me.

“You do realize that only very few contestants ever got this far?” He shook his head. “You really could win this damn game!”

I inclined my head at the stage with it's seven remaining cases. Six of them were bad news and the next round I had to pick four. Of course if I got the winning case the game ended right there, but the odds frankly sucked.

“Think about it.” Damon sighed, walking off stage again.

Rose came out again guiding me to a chair. Rather than collapse into it like I wanted, I sat and elegantly crossed my long legs. Even when she handed me a bottle of water, I held it differently.

This was definitely going to take some getting use to. Of course this wasn't done yet. I wouldn't consider it over until we both safely set foot back in the good ole USA. The people running this thing did not like losing.

I remembered very well that song I took for inspiration stanza that went, 'When to hold'em, when to fold'em and when to run.' We were just about at that last point. Show me the exit!

“You did it.” Rose whispered. “You really did it.”

“Not yet.” I softly replied, “It's not over till it's over.”

“You're going to continue!” She hissed, disbelievingly. “Are you crazy?”

“I'm stopping.” My smile turned grim. “If they let me. Then I'm fleeing as fast as circumstances will allow.”

“Oh,” Rose's anger disappeared. “I only wish I could go with you.”

“I don't think I dare use that word.” Shaking my head, my two toned hair swirled about my face. “They would think of some way of using it against us. That is what they do. They take your dreams, twisting and tainting them.

“However, maybe one day someone will be able to do something.” I sighed for perhaps the first time today. “Be well, be true to yourself, and keep faith with your beliefs.”

“Thanks, Gene.” She smiled, “But I think I need to get you back to the participants stage.”

“Lead on my Lady,” My voice still felt wrong the way I could feel myself making words. Did that make sense? Regardless it was time to meet with the devil himself.

Standing there, I kept up my breathing and my mantras. I think those Talents were the 'topping' of all of those other transformations. They did change me, but the Talents went further altering the way I did things. The way I moved, walked, and even talked.

After listening to Darlene try to explain how her 'condition' felt and how hormones affects men and women, I didn't want to think too much about what my All-the-above thing means in the long run. Will my thinking be like a man's? A woman's? Somewhere in-between?

However that didn't seem to be a problem so far and thankfully I'd missed anything else that could potentially modify 'how' I thought and felt. It would make it tough on anyone who knew me before this FUBAR, Fouled, Up, Beyond, All, Recognition, to 'see' me.

My body was different, as well as my body language too. My voice wasn't as much so, but it still had changed. I wondered if even Darlene who had sat here and watched it all would have a problem. Fingers were crossed real tight that she didn't because I was really depending on her help.

Just what I would do when I truly relaxed my self-control and open myself to the tidal-wave of emotion from what I'd experienced on this very long day. Scream, rage, cry, or maybe just pass out after having my body and very identity, do I dare say raped? At the very least I'd been treated very roughly although I think I kept enough of my wits about me to mitigate the worst of it.

The crew were settling down and the concession people were cleaning up more than they were selling anything. As the show's signature music began and the lights came back on, I was going to see what was going to happen next.

“Welcome back to Royal or Serf!” Damon walked out to a very excited crowd. “We have had one of the most memorable games in our history, and I think I can safely say one of our most interesting contestants.

“Jean Aldric!” The MC raised his hands for quiet. “Jean has been very lucky tonight, but has proved that she does indeed have that wisdom he spoke of at the beginning of our show.

“She had done something very few have before,” Damon gave a dramatic pause. “Here we are at the start of the third round, and she is one, just one case away from winning it all!”

After quieting the audience again, he put his arm around me yet again, damn it! Shorter I may be, but I did 'not' like that!

“Are you excited, Jean?” He asked.

“Yes, I am, Damon.” That was another of the few truths I'd spoken tonight.

“Usually,” He pointed up at the Accountant's booth, “I'd ask you if you want to continue or not. If so then The Accountant would make you an offer to keep the Royal title safe.

“However, tonight due to special circumstances He has directed me to do something different.” Damon lowered his voice making everyone listen more carefully. “You see it's come to our attention you have someone special out in the audience.”

My stomach tightened up, ready to make any gymnast jealous with the promised flips. We thought this might happen, but had little choice if they tried to drag Darlene into this.

“Ladies and Gentlemen let me introduce Jean's wife, Darlene!” Damon's eyes flashed because the bastard knew, Knew, that we had a backup plan. Just how they found out I was clueless, but damn it, they had!

“Please come join us, Darlene!” The spot lights found her and Rose, Damon's assistant, went to guide her to the stage.

The rest of the audience seemed to greatly enjoy this surprise. Unlike game shows elsewhere in the world, this one really was like a gladiatorial game with the contestants playing for their lives. That being so, family members were very rarely seen given some of the terrible if not horrible things that are done to the contestants.

Who would want to see their daughter who worked so hard to become a professional be reduced to a sexual play toy, maid or some other menial worker? It seemed like the mob took special glee in tearing down those who had rose up above them.

“Welcome Darlene!” Damon kissed her hand.

There was a spark when our eyes met. The two of us had gamed together for decades as well as being the best of friends. Despite this being one hell of a strange mess, it was like we read each others mind.

If the audience thought for a second that they were being played, they would tear us into little bloody bits.

“Easy with the new acquisitions.” I stepped to her, smiling. Over the years I'd been the subject of a great many of her hugs. Years ago, at first it was strange being hugged, by my 'guy' best friend, but I got over it. Nothing was harmed and honestly sometimes we all need hugs.

Just how we managed that cutesy holding hands behind our backs thing, I haven't a clue. Maybe that lithe talent of mine had something to do with it. Regardless that sideways hug which avoided squeezing my 'natural peaks' did feel 'much' better than the 'mauling' Damon had been giving me.

It simply felt natural to lay my head on her shoulder.

“Aw, isn't that sweet.” The MC just had to spoil the moment, but it was a wake up call too. This wasn't over yet.

“So why did you two hide your marriage?” He probed. “Why get married in Boston?”

“Our home state still doesn't allow same sex marriages.” I kept to the bare bones cover story we had if plan B, the backup plan had proved to be necessary.

“Although the nanotechs here fixed that problem.” Darlene continued on. “I still haven't had that certified by an approved doctor and signed of by a judge.”

“Boston was so if something did happen during our cruise,” I made a point of smiling up into her eyes. It was so strange with her being taller than me, but it felt great being held. “I would count as her spouse under international law even if our home state didn't.”

“And visa-versa, Dear.” When did her eyes get so beautiful? “Men,” Darlene rolled her eyes.

“I may or may not have that problem any more, Love.” If she can drop a cute endearment so can I!

That didn't have everyone rolling in the aisle again, but there was a lot chuckling!

“Alright you two.” Damon laughed, pointing up at the booth and then the holo tank. “I think the Accountant has an offer.”

“He knows you have enough Crowns to pay off your legal debt to society.” The MC continued. “However, if you go on to the next round he'll give you not one but two tokens to ignore two Serf cases of your choice. You can accept the transformation or decline it in any order you desire after the category is announced but before the actual choices are listed.

“That effectively takes two link cases out of play.” Damon explained as the case stage lights came up. “No one knows which cases are which, but that changes the odds of finding the last Royal case to One in Five from One in Seven.

“I imagine you both would like to discuss this.” He stepped away offering at least the illusion of privacy even if we had a half dozen cameras on us as well as before a sizable audience listening to every word.

Well they were getting their money's worth because Darlene had the same 'Oh Shit!' expression I'm sure I had. One thing I knew for sure was this was 'a no way Jose' deal.

Reading each other's mind again, we both knew we needed to make this good. After all the best role-play sessions is a lot like on stage improv.

“It's one in five, twenty percent, Love.” I played the Devil's advocate's role in dramatic whispers. “No one knows just what being a Royal really means, but we could find out!”

“That means four to one odds that you'll get another link case too!” She always did enjoy getting into character. “I loved you as you were, and I love as you are, but excuse me, if you're going to pick up a fetish, an imposed accent or some other compulsion, I'm going to be one making that decision!”

“But we would be able to ignore the bad ones!” I tried the puppy dog eyes, but given I wasn't sure just how that looked with my new looks, that must have been rather funny since a lot of people laughed.

“Maybe you haven't been keeping track of your cases.” Darlene's eyes narrowed, “I've been sitting there on my hands to keep from biting my nails and counting each and every one. There aren't any harmless cases sitting there. All of them modify behavior which, Dear, is my job!”

“Yes, my Love.” I sighed, which got more laughs.

“We've made our decision, Damon.” We walked over to him.

“We have to decline the Accountant's kind offer.” I kept glancing at my friend as if checking for her approval. “Really I guess it is for the best. After all I'm here to pay that debt. It really wouldn't be fair to all the others who has voluntarily played. Far better to leave it to one of those to win that honor in the future.”

“Are you sure?” Damon asked, looking at the both of us.

Without thinking about it we reached for each other's hands. “We're sure.”

“To buy your freedom, it costs Five thousand crowns.” The board showed the cost as the MC directed. “That leaves you with, after converting to Francs, 13,005.

“However I know the audience here and at home has got to be as curious as I.”

“Just what woulld've been your next case?” He pulled both of us close to him.

“I was thinking of eight.” My eyes stayed on Darlene.

“Lana, what would've case would've been?” Damon asked.

A clinking chain answered that question.

“That category would've been Habits,” He nodded, “And the next?”

“Seventeen,” I couldn't get enough of Darlene's smile.

More chains rattled, as Lana opened that case.

“This one would've been vocabulary.” Damon raised a brow as both I and Darlene winced.

“I like my husband's voice just the way it is even if it does sound like he's had years of voice training.” My friend, my wife?, explained.

“Your third case?” He moved things along.

“Twenty-five,” I really just wanted to get out of here!

The chains clanged again.

“And that category would've been fashion and style.” Damon nodded, “Being the third you would've been out of your get-out-of-jail token and would've had to take it.”

“I think we might've taken the Habit case,” I disagreed with him, “But not the Vocabulary one. I'm not sure about the dress style.”

“We would've blocked that one.” Darlene answered. “Both that and vocabulary changes too much about 'how' one thinks. I wouldn't want that for us.”

“And the last case of the round?” Damon smiled. “What would've that been?”

“Two,” Thank god this was almost over!

More rattling chains confirmed that continuing playing would've been just stupid.

“This one would've been voice accents.” Damon grinned at Darlene“And we know how you feel about that!”

“Of course, Dear.” I gave her my biggest smile, “You were right. Going on would've been a bad thing.”

“Maybe not bad, but not good either.” She corrected me to more laughs from everyone. “More changes and still no prize.”

“You should listen to her.” Damon laughed. “She's a smart one!

“And that's it people!” He raised his hands. “Her debt is paid and she still gets to walk out with a nice piece of change, sounds like a win to me!”

“Me too.” I held on to my friend's hand as the balloons dropped and the holo display above us lit up with fake fireworks.

“Have a happy honeymoon!” Damon waved bye as we were ushered off stage as the balloons swirled around us the music blasted making me cover my poor elf ears again.

I so wanted to ask what the hell was going on. They should've been much harder on us. I was expecting them to force Darlene to play perhaps by taking a link case for me or maybe something worst.

She put a finger on my lips, knowing some of the questions that was thundering around inside my head. Instead she lightly hugged me understanding that I was running on the ragged edge, but this was not the place to reveal anything at all.

Rose guided us to Wardrobe where they peeled me out of that darn catsuit. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised they had a complete set of clothes for me in my new sizes whatever they were. Maybe they had one of those auto-tailors I've heard about that you just put in the sizes and style and away it goes. This being a cutting edge production studio it was very possible.

The corset like top and green tights with ankle boots definitely were pushing the elf image. I suppose I should be very grateful that I brought my freedom before I picked up any makeup or other dress up compulsions. Darlene did step in and make sure my 'peaks' were properly protected. I guess they weren't extremely sensitive, but I was very aware of them. For that matter they sure weren't small or dainty either.

After that, two techs came by and officially removed those damn transforming nano cuffs. The nanotechnology devices were turned over to the two suited goons that had 'escorted' me here. As they shut the things in a padded case, my only thought was good riddance.

“Your nanites are going to still be active for anywhere between 12 to 24 hours as they stabilize your changes and begin to shut down.” The techs told us as well as got us to sign paperwork saying the same thing.

We knew that was important because until those damn things turned themselves off we couldn't leave. That was a problem because our damn cruise ship was going to leave without us. Fortunately, another of my friend's host of contacts were able to get if not a refund, a voucher of sorts that would let us fly out at reduced cost.

As far as I was concerned once I got to our hotel, I wasn't moving until it was time to for this birdie to beat wings for home.

“You also.” The tech continued, “Need to drink as many liquids as you can stand. Water is good, but juices are better. The nanites used up a lot of minerals and other vital nutrients. They will all help wash the remaining nanites away, but it's most effective right now. You do need to eat small portions of meat and vegetables, four maybe five times a day. No pigging out with big meals, but very small ones. That'll power the ones that left and replenish everything they used up to change you so fast in front of everyone.”

“And no alcohol!” The other guy warned. “That reduces the oxygen in your blood stream and that would not be good for all that the nanos can use it very easily for fuel. You did have some mental changes and the last thing you want is for the remaining machines up there to cannibalize parts of your brain.”

“I don't think that will be a problem,” I saw Darlene's glare.

“It's the same instructions I got from my nanotechs, but only more so.” She summed it up.

“Exactly.” The senior man nodded, gathering up the paperwork. “You two did good out there so please get home in one piece.”

We both just nodded.

“Get ready,” Rose warned as we left there and went to the door. “There's going to be a short publicity shoot as they hand you your prize check and walking papers.”

“Oh Joy,” I whispered dryly. The way I moved or just stood seemed more obvious when I was with Darlene. We'd been friends for so long we kind of adjusted flawlessly to each, the way close partners do in the police or as we were in the service despite not being in combat arms. My new poise threw that off a little, but already we were relearning so we didn't bump into the other or anything.

The lights and cameras as the doors opened weren't nice, but it was over quicker than I expected. Damon had his picture taken with me and then the both of us as well as this guy Darlene said tried to make pressure her, a Mr. Perez.

More pictures as I was handed a check and my paid-in-full paperwork for my legal problem. I made myself wave as we were herded into a limo to take us to our hotel. Only it wasn't 'our;' hotel, but another much more upscale with a honeymoon suit.

Yet more pictures as we were checked in, and finally to our room where all of our stuff had been moved to. Not that any of it was much use to me. My boxers would not come close to fitting any more and I wasn't sure about my razor. Maybe just my toothbrush would be useful of all of my stuff.

As a courier, I did tend to travel light.

A dining cart was sitting in the room and I fell on it like a starving wolf even if I did it 'Like a Lady.' It was as if I didn't realize just how hungry or thirsty I was until it was in front of me, exhausted or not.

Through it all my friend just sat close next to me.

I didn't eat as much as I expected, but that was the small meal thing that I'd been told.

“How did they find out?” That Lady thing had me dabbing at my mouth instead of my usual wiping.

“I don't know.” Darlene shook her head. “The papers were all inserted, but that shouldn't have raised any flags. The only thing I can think of is the obvious. They had your cell bugged which we kind of suspected anyways.”

“It was too much to ask for to have them obey their own rules.” I sighed, observing that made my newly acquired parts jiggle. “Big people and little people, I reckon. Those with the power make or break whatever rules they want.”

“Could be that computer here broke the encryption we were using to talk to Eagle.” Darlene countered leaning into me.

“That or maybe both.” I let her. It felt nice and I knew I was about to well, react.

“So, we're married, huh?” My voice sound so small. I think I was very worried about her rejecting me and what had been done to me. The irony that this was likely how she felt when first telling me that she was Darlene and was now transitioning weren't lost on me.

“I guess we are.” My friend sounded just as unsure as me.

“Then hugs please?” I just had to let her make the first move. Even as I looked now, I suppose I had to be the gentleman.

“Always.” As her warmth closed about me, my tears began.

“Excuse me as I cry a bit.” I felt choked up. “I don't think I can stop it.”

“Cry away, Dear.” Arms tightened protectively about me. “Cry away, I'm here, I'll always be here.”

All the feelings and emotions so full of fear, angry, and so many other things I'd never be able to sort them all out, flooded me. It might not be the manly thing to do, but when faced between going crazy and crying I know which one I'd choose. Besides like I'd thought about earlier, god only knew how hormones ran in this 'All the above' body of mine now.

Sobbing my heart out, I guess I went to sleep, but honestly with her holding me and gently stoking my head, I wouldn't have it any other way.

<><><>

The Accountant

Everything had not gone precisely to plan, but it rarely did. With any game there was the element of luck and truth be told Elf had played well. Despite brushing the edge a few times, she well and fully understood that keeping the audience happy was the difference between walking out with her wife or being the exotic ever efficient assistant role he'd wanted for her.

She didn't know that, but if she had stayed true to the choices she might've made, it was nearly a sure thing in the following round. He had tempted her, but without having her judgment impaired by a change or sedation, only an idiot would have played on. His Elf had proved that she was most emphatically wasn't an simpleton.

The Inner Council had sent on their approval with only one expressing his unhappiness. The Accountant shrugged, you couldn't make everyone happy, but he would settle for what he received. The initial ratings were right through the roof with markets that usually wouldn't touch Princess or Slave for any reason expressing interest in the episode. That was very good and had great potential for the future.

Satisfied that his newest picture was straight he stepped back. She wasn't one of those who escaped him, but more like catch and release. The situation would not let him keep her, but that did not make him any less contented. The Five was now Six and that was enough.

It was time to look over next week's victims. There was this young computer programmer who was operating under the misconception that he was more intelligent than his employers. Prima-donna Egos could be forgiven, embezzlement, never.

Hmmm... that gave him an idea. A touch of culture could be the perfect touch after last night's show. A talk with tech support was called for.

The Accountant smiled challenging himself to exceed his latest success. They haven't seen anything yet!

<><><><><>

Chapter Fourteen

Sainte' Royal Hotel

Gene Aldric

What went in had to come out. Oh, the stench of some of it, but the atypical stuff going on inside me meant nasty stuff had to come out. It was getting better, but thankfully Darlene had encouraged me to try a bunch of different juices and foods I normally shied away from.

“I wouldn't be surprised if your taste buds were different.” She pushed a glass of grapefruit juice at him. “Give it try and if nothing else remember it's just liquid that isn't going to stick around for very long.”

“Do I even have a digestive tract?” I moaned because it seemed I was running to the bathroom every ten minutes.

“Yes, but it's probably smaller now and it's likely being flushed by all the nanities.” Darlene smiled, looking at my covered privates. “So how is that working for you?”

“I'm still peeing standing up if that is what you wanted to know.” Blushing like I hadn't in years, I didn't want to say more.

“And your new addition?” Her eyes danced with mischief. “Don't be shy. I have one now too, even if I did get rid of what you kept.”

“Okay,” My breasts rose and fell as I sighed. She would drag it out of me if I didn't tell her. “I've been getting a little damp there and yes I know what that means.”

“Gene,” It was her turn to sigh which I noticed her chest also rose and fell in an interesting way. “Right now your hormones are no doubt all over creation. Arousal happens and is nothing to feel guilty about.

“However,” Darlene closed her eyes. “I know you. You'll dance around things and avoid confronting issues if you think it'll cause a problem. So here it is straight out.”

“You're my friend.” Those chocolate eyes opened up looking right into mine. “I'm not going anywhere no matter how you changed. Didn't you pay attention when we prepared for the worst when we got married? That was so if I had to, I could care for you no matter if you were a brain dead bimbo.

“That said,” Darlene took a deep breath, “I am attracted to you. My liking girls never changed and you, my Dear, are a serious dish. With all of my years of gaming, do you think I wouldn't be interested in the beautiful elf ?

“What's more it's not going to damage our friendship.” Her eyes narrowed. “It has gone through a lot of far worse things than a failed romance and have survived.

“I'm not going to pressure you, but you have no idea of how much I want to kiss you.” Darlene shrugged, “But I'm not going to. However, if you come over here and kiss me, I can guarantee you'll get kissed back. What happens after that I don't know, but we will always be friends, but we might be something else too.

“If you just want more hugs.” She held out her arms. “I can do that as well, because no matter what I want you in my life.

“No, I 'have' to have you in my life.” Tears began running down her cheeks.

“Damn,” I cursed, feeling very, very uncomfortable and awkward. “Why did you have to start crying for.”

I had a lump the size of a boulder in my throat, but I moved to her anyways. Wiping those that dampness away, I wasn't sure if this was good thing or not.

“As you wish.” I lifted my lips to hers.

That tingling that'd bedeviled me since my lips changed into Luscious Bows, turned into a delicious spreading warmth, that made me realize just what it 'take my breath away' really meant. Panting as we pulled apart, I was damp if not outright 'wet' down there. I think she must've been too from the way my nose picked up her scent.

“If we do that again.” Her voice was husky with desire. “Something is going to happen.”

“What about protection?” If she hadn't been holding me up, I would've fell. My poor legs felt like noodles. I had no idea if that was even something I had to worry about.

“Not until after my first period.” Her lips got closer.

“Well,” I think I was just as breathy as Darlene as I opened my mouth to hers. “That's nice to know.”

I've always tried to be a gentleman and never kissed or told. Right now I really had not a clue if that applied to me or not. I will say it was amazing all the overwhelming sensations or not. I'd also never thought about being submissive, but considering how all my senses were singing like a full orchestra it was bound to happen.

Next time I don't know, but I know I did like it.

“Is there going to be a next time?” I asked, cuddled in her arms.

“Yes,” her gentle hands stoked my hair and face.

“Good,” I snuggled happily beside her. I guess my own desire was so very plain to see.

A small rumble spoiled the moment. Damn bodily functions, I abandoned my perfect spot to avoid embarrassment.

“I'll be back.” Quoting, I shuffled back to the bathroom as fast as I could with her laughing behind me.

“Only in reruns!” She quoted, the obnoxious announcer guy from 'The Running Man.'

“That's not funny!” I retorted, leaning out from the toilet, considering we had just escaped our own Death Game.

“Oh, but it is!” She walked in on me still sitting.

“What are you doing?” It was a waste of time trying to cover up, I was on the throne!

“You didn't look at the amount on the checks?” She turned on the shower.

“Of course I did!” Sign something from these people and not read it very carefully, never!

“The second check as well?” Well, she was mostly undressed already, but her attractive girl-next-door who had bloomed in a woman, was beautiful to me. Not only was she still my friend, but somehow had become even more. Just how much more I really, really wanted to find out.

“What second check?” I made a point of remembering her hygiene lessons. No way in hell did I want anything to do with yeast no way, no how!

“The one underneath the first that's I guess is like a bonus.” She replied, “They didn't want to reveal just how much the grand-prize really is so this is their way of concealing even this partial win.

“Do I even want to ask how much?” I stood feeling so very vulnerable as she finished undressing me.

“Not nearly enough for what we went through.” She hugged me again which I needed. “With the official winnings close to a three quarters of a hundred grand.”

“This is going to suck isn't it?” My mind was full of not having a job, needing everything like clothes and whatever other special needs that I had to have now.

“But you have me.” She got me into the shower.

“And that is all I'll ever want.” Soap, shampoo, and sex scents were heavy on the steamy air, but most of all it was hers, Darlene. Maybe I couldn't capture lips like I could when I was taller, but looking up at her and offering my lips to her worked just as well or better.

My dearest friend's eyes shined as we kissed and held each other under the falling water, perfect.

<><><>

Epilogue

Magic-Con

Jean Aldric-Franklin

Click-tap, click-tap, I never thought I would ever be hearing the sound of me of all people walking in heels. I's all Darlene's fault or Imoen from Baldur's Gate while in her present attire.

Me, because of my big mouth was dressed as, wait for it, Virconia DeVir. The silver wig and violet eye contacts with a little face black was all that was needed. Of course my real hair was gelled and skin capped down tight, because Darlene would not let me cut it even if it would grow back in record time. Just so it's said, no, it won't hold a dye.

Five, four, three, two, one … Crash!

“That's two,” I leaned over to 'Imone.' “Only three more nerds to go.”

“You would think they wouldn't walk into displays like that.” Darlene in her costume giggled. “You would think they've never seen an Elf cleric or a half-Elf thief before.”

“As long as they don't try kidnapping me.” I smiled grimly. “I'm alright with them making fools of themselves.”

“That didn't work out too well for the last ones.” She touched my arm signaling she'd seen something at a dealer's table of interest. “It is right there in your public records that that you used to work as an armed courier.”

“Most people think of the ones on bicycles.” I nudged her gently. “Guys packing heat, driving armored vans makes most people think of Wells-Fargo or Loomis.”

“There is no excuse for not doing your research.” She picked up a silver bracelet with some nice Celtic knot work. “Particular when failing means hard time. Kidnapping is a federal crime.”

“But they don't check to see what I'm doing now either.” I complained. “A self-defense instructor should make most of even the biggest idiots think twice.”

“Misogyny, isn't about intelligence, my dear DeVir.” She held up my arm to see how it would look on me. “Me, man, you woman, me take, ugh.”

“Me, Elf with concealed carry license.” I giggled, “Me shoot Ugg in foot so the cops don't have to run to catch you.”

“If you don't mind me asking,” The woman minding the booth smiled, Imoen. “How far along are you?”

“Just finished my first trimester.” My Love's hand laid on her 'baby bump.'

“Congratulations!” Her name tag said Ruth. “I didn't know if it was you two until now. The makeup and hair is really well done, but I remember who you said was your favorite fantasy character...”

“That is going to haunt me forever,” I groaned. “It seems like everyone has seen at least an edited version of that damn show. On the other hand, I can't resent it at all.”

My hand joined my Love's resting 'our' baby.

Forced into a twisted game; changed beyond all recognition; lost my job; the legal pain of having to prove I was still me; it was still worth it because I had the woman I loved and our child yet to be.

“Truer bastards have never lived,” Ruth spat, “But sometimes even as nasty as a piece of work as that Island, some good comes of it.”

Both of us nodded. Legal Eagle had recruited us and many others into what amounted to lobbying organization that aided that place's victims and warned others of just the kind of dangers they might be walking into.

The plain truth was that the rules against certain nanotechnologies were there for with good reason. The Isle, however, broke and ignored those rules, but if not for them, my Love and I would not be expecting a child nor would I have potential to give birth either.

Not that I wanted to, but I have to admit to some curiosity. I suppose I was slowly getting used to being feminine no matter that I had 'all-the-options.' Those 'talents' did strongly urge, if they didn't force me, to act like I looked, a lady. I could ignore that and run around in my old guy clothes, but I felt better, more comfortable, if I didn't. Besides Darlene gave me no end of grief when I did even if it was mostly just to prove I still could. Acceding to her wishes made her happy which in turn made me very, very happy.

I think we both still wondered if we'd been setup during that last segment after all. Sure the nanites were left to their own programming after those cuffs were removed. They were to stabilize the transformations and when finished allow themselves to be flushed out.

However, we were both together on stage there at the end and they might've done something there. We certainly jumped on each other the next day like a pair of rabbits. So did they push along the 'honeymoon' thing?

The CDC office that examined me with a fine tooth comb grudgingly gave me certification that I was safe and wasn't going to become Gray Goo Plague Patient Zero. What was done was done and we were happy with the lives we'd made in the aftermath.

“I know I wouldn't” Ruth smiled at us. “More true fans are showing up with ears like yours as well as other modifications that are mostly in good taste. Still something does need to be done about that cursed Island.”

Imoen took Ruth's hand gently questioningly.

“She was a cousin.” Tears gathered in the woman's eyes. “She never came back.”

“Someday,” I whispered. I'd never forgotten Rose, but understood that even attempting to rescue her could cause those vindictive asses to harm her. It was hard not doing anything, but working the system to gather support was for now the best way to help not just her, but all of those caught in that hellish paradise.

“We think the reason Jean and I came out reasonably whole.” Darlene shared. “Is that they were going for some positive public relations. That broadcasted suicide truly hurt them and their precious profit margin.”

“And while their show with me did gather them a lot of attention.” I was grinning now. “It also put their usual activities in stark contrast. What is so sad about the entire mess is that there are plenty of people that would volunteer for even some of their sickest ideas.

“The problem is the show targets those who want nothing to do with that and allows a bunch of rich sickos act out their revenge fantasies. To add insult to injury, they then get paid for it.” I gave my opinion. “Some of their other shows aren't near that bad and a few that are honestly entertaining. Princess or Slave is not.”

“Here,” Imoen handed Ruth a card. “This is a group that is gathering political support and humanitarian aid for the victims. If you or your family wants to help please call this number or look up our website.

“Part of our strategy is to make some of the services the Isle provides available elsewhere.” Our fingers interweave above our child. “Making it safer and more palatable to the world at large, but also hitting the Isle where hurts, in their end of year profit reports. There are things that people will dare making a deal with the Devil himself if they have to. We aim to undercut the bastards.”

“I will.” Her eyes were thoughtful.

There was a crash behind us, that had Ruth startled in surprise.

I knowingly glanced back at the jumble of gamers and merchandise in a mess on the dealer's floor.

“More victims, Dear?” My wife asked, mischief in her eyes.

“Aye, beware the peaks for they are treacherous!” Ruth choked with laughter and my dearest Love leaned on me giggling madly especially after I gave my bust a long look. Padding and cushioning could only hide so just so much.

Purchasing the pair of matched silver bracelets, we walked arm in arm among the varied races of imagination and dreams in the marvelous bazaar filled with wondrous devices and wares.

The future lay before us.

The End
up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Definitely a good story;

Definitely a good story; decent suspense, and yet an ending, that while not truly happy, isn't a catastrophe for everyone but the bad guy.

Hopefully you stay "Back" - maybe even some more Career Day! :)

Thanks for all of your work, and again, glad you're back.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Curious

Sara Hawke's picture

I am wondering how someone who was, say an exemplar 2, 3, 4 from whateley would handle such changes. Or a shape changer how aggravated would they get if the shape changer continued to maintain his or her body image. That or how much damage it would do as the nanites fought against their BIT. Excellent story and it was just enough and not over the board.

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Contemplation, yet duty
Death, yet the Force.
Light with dark, I remain Balanced.

Incomplete

What was written was good, but the story felt incomplete. The main thing it did was to introduce the island. The hero(ine) got out relatively intact because the bad guys were not set on destroying her ("catch and release"), and at the end the island is still there, ready to unleash horrors on the next week's "contestant".

A followup, or a set of followups, showing how the island was dealt with would be nice.

(And somehow, "The nanites got out and turned everything into Grey Goo," would not be satisfying. 🙂 )

Sequels

I think Grover mentioned that there will be sequels.

The protagonist merely got by by the skin of his/her teeth.

The whole game thing would easily bring UN condemnation for inhumane treatment of prisoners.

The fact people in the audience would be active participants in such a ‘blood sport’ speaks poorly of humanity.

I wouldn't say it speaks

I wouldn't say it speaks poorly. That intimates that humanity hasn't been that way all along. We're a violent species, and testosterone is an interesting drug.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

So, we come to the end of another great tale.

I feel very privileged to have been trusted to proofread this "comeback" story from one of my very favorite authors, Grover.

We've come a long way since Southern Comfort, haven't we, my sister? I'm so glad you and "Understanding Spouse" are back and feeling healthier, both financially and physically.

Well done Grover. Well done indeed.

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg