Summer's Current: Chapters 31-33

Printer-friendly version


“Please pardon the test, Lady Simone. You have bested our Array Programmer AND befuddled him at the same time. Congratulations on eighteen impressively clean kills. Proceed to the designated landing port in Norge on Antarra.”

 
 

Chapter 31


 
 
“Gear down, High Priestess.” Lokust reported and I nodded for Mom to put us on the deck. With only a very subtle shake, we were on Antarra. In the City named after its royal family.
Norge was a bustling metropolis and much attention was paid to us as Mom slowly brought Pegasus in over the heart of the city. Artemis had monitored several communications inquiring of the strange ‘flashy’ ship on approach.
“Exterior security measures, Lady Kitty. Heavy stun only.” I ordered. Again Kitty snarled at me, but capitulated.
“As you wish…High Priestess.”
“Awwwww, pretty Kitty wants to kill something?” Dell teased in a childish voice.
“Damn right I do! There is no logical reason for the way they treated Simone! You do know I had Defense Headquarters targeted too, right?”
“I wouldn’t have it any other way, M’lady, but,” I smiled to my Coven sister as we left the bridge. “What we witnessed was a form of foreplay in this system.
Simone stopped and stared at me then Mom.
“I am such a ‘dork’! I never thought of it that way. Did I just accept a date and possibly more from that guy?” Simone groaned.
“Naw, I wouldn’t worry about it, sweetie. He probably wouldn’t measure up anyway.” Charli consoled as we arrived at the entry hatch. I had requested Mom, Chantell, Charli, Kitty, Artemis, and Simone ‘attend’ me.
“So, you think Lokust will be able to handle little Savanna while we play the ‘arriving diplomats’, honey?”
“Well…Savanna didn’t complain like she did when Kitty asked to hold her.”
“I fail to see the compulsion for grabbing one’s whiskers! That’s like the number two most sensitive organ on a Lynxin!”
“Oh yeah? What’s number one?” Artemis teased before being interrupted.
 
 
“Esteemed members of EFMC Witch Corps. Welcome to Norge.” A little man with a big voice announced from across the landing deck. He was about one hundred feet away and didn’t quite reach five feet as he and some other dashingly appareled men of similar stature neared us. They all sported red hair and beards.
“Well that’s a real deal breaker.” Artemis deadpanned quietly.
“Lolipop Guild.” Mom whispered to me.
I had no clue what that meant, so said nothing.
“Never mind. Lordy! The kids these days.” Mom huffed.
Our welcoming committee stopped several feet from us and the speaker for them regarded us, as would a hungry Gaian wolf. His intent lost all seriousness having to crane his neck to look at some of us.
“That is kind of you, sir.” I said as I bowed slightly to them individually. “Has her majesty been alerted to our arrival? We have business to negotia…”
“Well! I never expected to ever see YOU on my planet again, Terran!” A woman’s voice shouted from behind our welcoming committee.
“Screw you, y’old Battleaxe!” Mom shouted harshly as the voice became a curvaceous, blue-haired, woman walking gracefully toward us.
The men before us turned in confusion, but quickly dropped to their knees and bowed their heads reverently.
We stayed standing in our single-row parade line.
The woman began to run and plowed into Mom at full speed- almost knocking her over! Thank goodness for our enhanced strength! The blue-haired lady didn’t fall back as would be expected; instead, she reached out and quickly pulled herself to Mom and planted one of the most passionate kisses I’d ever seen on her lips!
“I think she missed you, Hope.” Chantell stated the obvious.
“And I am starting to feel jealous.” Charli added indignantly, not looking happy at all.
“That’s her!” Simone whispered urgently around Artemis’ back to me. “I recognize her from the portrait.”
“Majesty, we had not been informed of your personal attendance.” I said as I saw her break her lip lock with my mom.
“Charli! You look fabulous!” She said as she repeated her greeting. It seemed she was completely oblivious of what I said.
“Shan? You still hanging with this old hag?” She asked, but my aunt didn’t get the chance to respond before she too was lip locked by the emotional queen.
“Wow! Affectionate Monarch, isn’t she? Anyone got a breath mint? I hit the galley about an hour before crossing the system boundary. The Cassirian fish on Pegasus, by the way, is to die for, Chance. Good choice.” Kitty whispered.
“Lynxin, you will hold your tongue!” The queen ordered after releasing my aunt.
“Only if you hold yours, majesty. I’m not the type for inter-oral sports.”
Queen Norge looked at Kitty and smiled brightly. “No, you never were, Libra.”
That statement piqued my attention.
“Mom? Was Queen Norge ever activated?”
“Of course I was, High Priestess. And you must be Hope’s daughter. My, you turned out well.” She answered as she stopped in front of me and embraced me. Rising on her tiptoes, she placed a gentle kiss on my forehead then leaned to my ear.
“Congratulations on reaching your threshold, Chance.” She whispered. “You look so much like your mother.”
“So…Lynxin…Word had spread that you had finally lost a fight. I am elated to see the reports false.”
Kitty dropped her head in sadness.
“Majesty, my I introduce Princess Kitty Sinae, rightful heir to FeLane.” I hurriedly announced hoping to spare my Coven sister the embarrassment of explaining.
Kitty’s tail forcefully slapped my backside. She was definitely getting better control of it.
“Oh… My apologies, M’lady. Libra was a capable and high-quality friend. She is missed.”
Kitty nodded ever-so-slightly.
“Lady Artemis, how nice to see you again. I would have thought that, by now you would have grown bored of our collection of species and moved on…”
“Lady Artemis Dell, Majesty. My Greatest Grandmother has, as you say, moved on. I am told I look very similar to her though.” She corrected courteously.
“Remarkable and noted, M’lady.” Norge said with a nod then stopped to appraise Simone.
The ‘appraisal’ lasted an uncomfortable minute.
“From the wide eyes, beyond nervous expression, staccato respiration, and fast heartbeat, I must assume that you are her…granddaughter? Of my sister, Juliene?”
“Sssss-Simone…Gutteson- Redman…Maj-maj-majesty. Grand…grandso…daughter.” Simone nervously confirmed.
“I knew it too good to be true! Somehow, I had a feeling Juliene had disappeared from my life, and not in just moving to another system.” Norge said sadly. She wrapped her arms around our Coven sister and kissed both cheeks. “Activated or not, you are my family, Simone, and will always be welcomed here as such. And”, Queen Norge smiled deviously, “might I say you certainly brought cause for my Defense Commander to cycle his underpinnings with that show of testicular fortitude! Well played, Lady Simone! Well played!”
“Th-thank you, m-majesty.”
Queen Norge began laughing.
“Oh! Oh how polite and refined! Lady Simone.” Queen Norge ran her fingers down Simone’s blushing cheeks. “Excluding your mother…” Norge suddenly looked conflicted for a brief second then her smile returned. “Family will never be expected to be so formal. ‘Aunt Cora’ will be fine. Save the ‘Majesty’ stuff for court, Sugar Plum.” She chastised before placing another kiss on both of Simone’s cheeks.
“So, High Priestess, pretty shiny craft. You didn’t let Mommy touch the controls, did you?”
“You know I can still kick that perfect, bubble ass of yours, Cora!”
“And I might let you at some point too, Hope. But now, I’d ask our High Priestess if she would oblige me a tour of…let me guess…Pegasus?” Norge said as she craned her neck to observe the ship’s distinctive nose art.
Mom smiled and I nodded.
“This way, your majesty.” I bowed my head as I motioned to the boarding ramp.
The alarm sounded as Queen Norge reached the suddenly nonexistent hatch. I immediately enabled my Current Sight and began scanning her thoroughly.
“I’m sorry, Majesty, but you will have to retreat from the ramp. Pegasus senses tainted Current and I’m afraid you must be examined for the cause.
Norge smiled deviously as she passively complied. Reaching the bottom of the ramp then taking a few steps more, she turned back to me. Reaching into her expansive cleavage she produced a small cylindrical container. My Current Sight identified it as the detected taint. The queen looked to me with interest as she moved the small container side to side and watched my eyes follow.
“So the rumors are true.” She said quietly. “The offspring of Summers is quite the gifted witch- more so than her mother. I commend you, Lady Chance Summers.”
Before she could say or do anything else, the tainted current escaped the container and flowed in a redish-orange arc toward me and disappeared inside me.
A sudden feeling hit me, and my eyes widened in shock.
Norge had been watching me the whole time with a neutral expression.
“How could you do this?” I asked as I regarded this supposedly respected ruler. “How could you confine your conscripted Prime Minister to such an environment? Is this another test of our talents? If so, you must know that there is not enough here to reconstitute!”
“Ronan!” Norge shouted and one of the men hurried to her side and produced another container with an identical taint within.
I quickly appraised her then the container and absorbed it also. Concentrating, I asked my Current to help me recover the entity.
After the blue light ceased, a man, slightly taller than the others, lay unconscious and in a fetal position on the deck.
The monarch’s eyes bulged wildly! Yet she gracefully leaned down to check the man’s pulse then stared back up at me reverently.
“It is simply unbelievable! The rumors…High Priestess, you have impressed me more than even your mother! I therefore welcome you, niece.” She declared as she rose and kissed my cheeks several times.
“So…Chance makes ya shit yer royal panties and you make her a niece. If I’d known that I woulda done it years ago, Cora.” Mom summarized insolently.
“Sister, if you so desperately want to be downgraded to ‘niece’ just specify the request in triplicate to seven different government agencies and I shall then consider it. Ronan. Take Gnyels to the mansion and tend to him. He will awaken sometime in the next five hours. Now, High Priestess, about that tour?”
 
 
Queen Norge stopped me just inside the entry hatch.
“Please forgive the test, Chance. I know that I seem quite the monster, but Gnyels actually was conscripted several years ago and I had just managed to collect what I thought was his entity in those two Current containers. I have been awaiting the day when the High Priestess of Witch Corps would arrive in hopes she would do what I could not. Although a queen, I lacked the…talent…to reconstitute conscripts. I wish to thank you on behalf of me and also his family unit, M’lady.” She said as she picked up and kissed the back of my hand. “By the way. Since I count Hope as one of my sisters in all respects- I’m not just saying this, Chance, and don’t you dare tell her I said any of this- I would consider it a great privilege if you would think of me and call me your ‘Aunt Cora’.
“I…” I barely got out as I stared, unbelievingly.
Savanna’s crying echoed through the passageway.
“Sounds like somebody wants their mother.” Norge giggled.
Lokust was doing her best to quiet the baby as I …as ‘Aunt Cora’ and I entered my shared quarters.
“I’m trying, buddy, but I think she wants the one thing I’m not ready to give yet. Hey.” She reported and seeing my guest, nodded her greeting.
“Lokust, my Aunt Cora, Aunt Cora, Lokust Grunfuller, my friend and Executive Officer.” I offered as I accepted Savanna from her, my bundle of joy settled right down.
“Lady Lokust, it is an honor to finally meet the Wind Mage in the flesh.”
“Aw, man! Why’d you have to tell her? I thought we had agreed not to talk about that little episode, Chance?”
“I’m sorry, majesty. I left Lokust in charge of my daughter while we presented ourselves.”
Lokust gulped loudly and looked on the verge of panic.
Again Aunt Cora started laughing.
“Thank you, Lady Lokust for the convenient dispatch of formalities. It was very refreshing. Chance? Is there a chance,” Norge giggled at the double usage. “That I may offer to hold our great niece?”
I smiled and held Savanna out to her.
The little cherub began gurgling as soon as my ‘aunt’ cradled her.
“She looks so much like you. Same hair, same smile… Congratulations, Lady Lokust. Fine job.”
“Huh?”
“You ARE the activated version of her father, correct?”
“Aunt Cora, Savanna was one of the conscripts I rescued from the Current back on the Mare. Her biological parents… they… they didn’t make it.” I informed sadly.
“So you took up the challenge to provide a safe and nurturing environment to raise the child? Absolutely wonderful, Chance! Bravo! I see the Summers legacy is in good hands. Though tell me…why does she look so much like you?”
I began to tell her the long version of her recovery as I motioned us out to continue her tour of Pegasus.
 
 
“So this is…should be our Multi-use Room: Galley, Meeting Room, Training, and Recreation Room.” I said as we heard hushed voices and sliding objects beyond the closed door.
Opening the door with a slight grimace, I gasped at what I saw! Aunt Cora began laughing quietly.
“Now, for the last time! I want you three to finish repositioning the furniture! In their proper places! Before the High Priestess arrives and sees this mess! Is that understood?” Sandra growled as most of the children stood or sat, dumbfounded on the outskirts of the large compartment while three of the older boys hurried to right and move several tables and about a dozen chairs near its center. Off to her left and right, suspended in blue plasma, were four other older boys and two older girls.
The look on Sandra’s face indicated that she was taking no more of whatever these adolescents were doing and she seemed to have no trouble holding the six of them three to four feet off the deck.
Sandra was also in full uniform.
“Bravo, Lady Educator! It is refreshing to see that a firm hand is still issued for, shall we say, more…chaotic issues?” Aunt Cora announced regally.
“High Priestess!”
Both plasma balls dispersed and all six children dropped to the floor in two piles.
“I’m sorry, M’lady! I was suddenly overwhelmed by these six and…my magic, it flared up…and my uniform…”
“I’m sure the need was present…and as long as the children draw learning and understanding from it…” I let my words drop as I glared at one of the six troublemakers. The one with the blue-streaked, brownish red hair.
He immediately cowered then suddenly looked past me, fell to his knees, and stared at the deck.
“Well at least you managed to show some modicum of reverence to your queen, young man!” Norge said in her regal voice. “And what sort of behavior have they been teaching you on the Mare de Tempest, hmmm?”
“Miss Cassandra has been trying to teach us respect and tolerance for others, Majesty. I am sorry you found us being unruly. We had no idea, Miss…Lady Cassandra was a witch, Majesty.”
“Welcome aboard Pegasus, Majesty.” Lyra greeted happily from the other side of the compartment. As she approached she waved her wand over her head and surprised me by changing to her uniform!
Correction. She surprised all of us- Aunt Cora included. And…had she just manifested her own wand?
I’d have to sit her down and have a discussion with our little, Lynxin Coven sister when we had a moment or two alone.
Lyra knelt down gracefully and bowed her head slightly.
“Forgive me for not following exact procedure, Majesty, but it is our protocol on FeLane. I am Lady Serangetti Lyra, first kitten of Sonja and Kimbou of FeLane.”
“Lady Lyra, while on Antarra, Ladies of Court need only bow their head in respect rather than prostrate themselves so thoroughly. Rise and let me have a look at you, dear kitten.” Norge said as she crouched down to Lyra’s height with a brilliant smile.
“So how long have you been activated, Lady Lyra, and why would our High Priestess do such an irresponsible thing to one so young?” She asked quietly.
“Activated, Majesty? Lady Chance has only made me an honorary member of the Corps. She has not…um…activated... Poppy tells me all the time that I am ‘full of boundless energy’, if that is what you are referring to.”
Aunt Cora looked up at me with a bit of confusion.
“I have not, though it would appear Lady Lyra has the natural talent.” I suggested then turned my attention back to Lyra. “My Lady, we, and your ‘Poppy’ will need to confer as soon as time permits. For now though, it might be wise to return to your civilian clothing, dismiss your wand, and resume ‘peaceful’ activities with your friends.”
“Okay.” Lyra said as she waved her wand over her head once more to change back to her previous dress. Her wand disappeared quickly after.
“My, aren’t you the talented little witch. Go now and play, Lady Lyra. Enjoy the privileges and freedoms of youth while you can.”
“Thank you, Majesty.” The kitten said while turning.
“One more thing, M’lady?”
“Yes, Majesty?”
“Lady Lyra, it is also customary to address each other as Lady and not ‘Majesty. ‘Lady Cora’ will do, M’lady.”
“Oh, thank you, Maj…Lady Cora! Bye.”
Just like that the young Lynxin was back with her friends chatting excitedly amongst themselves.
“Oh to be that carefree once more.” Aunt Cora lamented.
“If I could work out the proper enchantments, Aunt Cora, I cou…”
“You shall do nothing of the sort! Is that understood? You are definitely Hope Summer’s progeny!” She warned with the added compliment and a tense smile.
“Lady Cassandra, do you have a moment?”
“Yes, Lady Cora.”
“Wonderful. Well bred, intelligent, and attentive.” Norge complimented with a satisfied smile. “I must commend you on your handling of such an uprising. I know the child most likely to have been the initiator. I assume his parent to be missing or deceased?”
Sandra lowered her eyes sadly.
“I see. I also assume contact has been made with his maternal parent and that he is to reside with her now?”
“That is what I have been told, Lady Cora.”
“Then we will take no more of your time, M’lady. Carry on.” Norge replied and quickly turned for the door. I followed quickly. She was still carrying Savanna.
“Aunt Cora? Are you alright with Savanna?”
Queen Norge stopped and turned back to me.
“Of course, the Sugar Plum is perfectly safe with me, Chance.” She replied. She then touched the sides of her neck.
“Lady Cora, Lady Charli.”
I assumed Dad responded.
“Nice to know this thing still works. Could you do what you do best for me, Sweetie?”
“Of course. Chance, Savanna, and I will meet you on the bridge. Lady Cora out.” Aunt Cora removed her finger and thumb from her throat. “Now, M’lady, I think I’d like to see your Bridge.”
 
 

Chapter 32


 
 
“Then it is confirmed? The parent is who I first thought?”
“Sorry, Cora. I wish the records proved otherwise.” Charli said as she held little Savanna to her shoulder. I had just fed her and she offered to burp her new Granddaughter.
“This will not do. The boy’s maternal parent is of unacceptible reputation and will only use and corrupt him beyond all repair. Another sponsor must be found.”
“I’ve already triple scanned the Galactic Database, Cora. The father’s family was lost on Regulon when the Hobgoblins launched an offensive on their capital city of Atlas. I have come up with no other living members of that family except her.”
“I refuse to allow a known felon to subjugate and twist another young mind! Larceny; Armed Robbery; Conspiracy to Murder; Identity Theft; Corruption of Minors; Rape of a Minor! Need I go on? This woman is everything a mother shouldn’t be, Charli! The boy can do much better. Even in the Singles’ System!”
“Genetic record shows him to be fifty-five percent Antarran Royalty, Cora. Maybe you should take him in?” Charli suggested logically.
Aunt Cora became deathly silent.
“Well. So much for peace in our time.” Chantell grumbled worriedly.
“It’s actually the best suggestion I’ve heard since boarding Pegasus, Shan. And we still have that unilateral agreement in place, remember? You don’t steal my boyfriend, I don’t steal yours?”
“J.C. Macy! You just hadda bring THAT up!” Chantell complained under her breath. “How many times do I hafta tell you I had no idea you’d already sunk your claws into him?”
“As many times as is conveniently awkward, Girlfriend.” Norge grinned evilly.
“Back to task. What is to happen to the boy?” I asked to put the discussion back on track.
“Right you are, M’lady. What becomes of the boy?” Norge agreed before pausing to think.
“I suppose I can find some loophole in the Courtesan Bylaws. There has to be some obscure regulation that allows me to take possession of the boy.”
“TAKE POSSESSION? If I understand Terran history right that would imply you were making him a ‘slave’ of your household! I will not allow that- by you or any other royalty on any world!”
Savanna started crying and Charli began to pat and rub her back to settle her.
“Perhaps that was a poor choice of words, High Priestess.” Norge apologized while staring at my eyes curiously.
“See. I told you they did that when she gets pissed, Charli, but you guys wouldn’t believe me.” Chantell pointed out as though she had just won a lottery.
“How do you do that, High Priestess? I have yet to meet a species that can set their eyes ablaze in orange light.”
“Wonderful! Now I’m being accused of not being Terran. I assure you, M’ladies, I am just as human as any of you. And knock it off with the ‘High Priestess’ stuff all the time!” I protested.
“Um…Did anyone happen to mention that Chance conjured Pegasus, all eight Brooms docked with her, AND our new base onboard the Mare de Tempest, Cora?” Charli let slip.
Aunt Cora looked at me in what looked like restrained fear. She quickly composed herself.
“My…aren’t we the talented witch. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of one able to wield such power.” Norge responded with sarcasm.
“You don’t have to worry, Aunt Cora, I wouldn’t try to depose you. I would allow the Current to reclaim me before that would happen!”
Norge regarded me for a few moments in silence. Several times she narrowed her eyes only to look more confused. Finally, she seemed to make up her mind.
“Charli, could you change the boy’s records to reflect that Caroline Norge is his true and legal guardian,” Norge looked to see my reaction. “And enroll him in the Royal Academy’s Elementary program until he can be properly tested and placed in his proper peer level. Send official notice to my staff that a close relative’s son has been sent to me because of a family catastrophe. Insinuate he is my favorite nephew.”
“Done.”
“Certainly haven’t lost your touch, have you, Charles?”
“Thank you, Cora! Coming from you, that is high praise.”
“Can you raise the mansion, Charli? I’d like to make some alterations to our royal plans tonight.”
“Norge Royal Mansion. How may I direct your call, citizen?”
“Citrus, it’s me. I need to change our plans for tonight. Instead of that private dinner with Witch Corps, we’re going to set plates for the forty children they are escorting also. I’ll have Lady Charli send over the breakdown of ages as well as any life-threatening food allergies they might have. I also ask for you to book appropriate entertainment, too.”
“Okay, Me. I’ll get right on that. Tell Lady Charli I look forward to seeing her, Chantell, and Hope. It has been ages!”
“Will do. Say goodbye, Citrus.”
“Goodbye, Citrus.” The woman repeated and giggling could be heard until Charli disconnected the communication.
“I hold you, and you,” Norge pointed to Charli then Chantell. “And especially Hope, personally responsible for her playful attitude!”
 
 
“Gods, I don’t think I’ll ever look another swine in the face again, buddy. Thing is, I couldn’t eat half of what I usually do in my regular body.” Lokust groaned as she got ready for bed. I had fed and now was burping Savanna before putting her in her crib for the night.
“Hey, Chance? Need your advice on something.”
“Sure, buddy. What’s bothering you?” I replied.
“Um…not that I’m not grateful or anything…I really am honored to be a part of all this, but…but I was wondering…”
“You were wondering when you would deactivate, right?”
“Well…yeah. I mean we haven’t seen any action since before we left Mare. I’m… I’m pretty sure you said that I would deactivate after the danger was alleviated.”
“So why haven’t you deactivated, buddy?”
“Huh? You mean I can do that?”
“If you feel the danger has passed, of course.”
“Well…that would have been nice to know about four days ago.” She whispered to herself.
“Since you’re still Lokust, there must be some reason you haven’t changed back. Maybe deep down your psyche prefers life on this side?”
My roommate was quiet for a while.
“It really isn’t that bad, you know?” She said. It sounded like she was trying to convince herself and not me.
“Don’t try to talk yourself into something you aren’t ready for, buddy. Maybe sleep on it. Decide in the morning.” I told her.
“Oh, I’d recommend sleeping on your side or back if you haven’t figured it out yet. These things get uncomfortable- painfully so- when squished to the mattress for any length of time.” I reminded for the fourth or fifth night in a row.
“I’ll try to remember that…again, buddy, thanks.”
 
 
Something was shaking my shoulder.
“Hey Chance? Baby’s cryin’.” Lokust said as she continued to shake me. I finally heard Savanna crying. Why hadn’t I heard her first?
“I’ll take care of her. Go back to sleep.” I said as I picked her up and took her into our bathroom to change her. After a little snack, she was back asleep and I put her back down then got back in bed myself.
 
 
Someone was shaking my shoulder.
“Hey Chance? Baby’s cryin’.” Lokust said again, shaking me.
I automatically took her to the bathroom and found she wasn’t dirty.
This time, after sitting in one of our chairs rocking her back and forth for about an hour, she finally went back to sleep and so did I.
 
 
“Someone better quit shaking my shoulder!”
“Chance? Baby’s cryin’.”
“Yeah, so what’s new? I’ll get her.” I growled as I sat up with her for another hour.
 
 
“Chance? It’s time to get up.”
I felt something appear in my hand as I reached out from under the covers to give him a finger gesture.
“Hey now, buddy! Put the wand away! I’m not a Hoblin. Just put. The wand. Away.”
“I just got back to sleep, Grunfuller.” I growled. “Savanna kept me up almost all night.
As if on cue, Savanna started crying again. I groaned.
“You take care of her this time, Grunfuller.” I commanded before turning over.
“But what if she’s hungry?”
“Work something out like I did.”
“But the twins went on vacation, Chance.”
“So recall them. It’s not that hard."
“That was uncalled for! So what if I didn’t get my mornin…”
“Re-act-I-vate your-self!” I gruffly interrupted.
“Oh.” He paused for a moment. “I can do that?”
“Never mind. I’m up now.” I groused, throwing the covers off me and standing up. “You just pulled the first shift, so get up to the Bridge.”
“Wow! You really aren’t a ‘morning person’, are you, buddy.” He said.
I growled at him, picked up Savanna, and wrinkled my nose at the aroma before taking her into the bathroom.
 
 

Chapter 33


 
 
“So, has anyone said when Aunt Cora will show up?” I asked as I entered the Bridge carrying Savanna.
“She and her staff were here over an hour ago. When we said you’d probably been up all night with Savanna, she said to tell you ‘Thanks’, and that you would know for what.” Simone answered as she looked at me for a few moments longer than I felt comfortable with.
“You wanted to say or ask something, Simone?”
“So…she asked you to call her ‘Aunt’ also? I take it she really does consider Lady Hope her sister?”
“The Corps has a long standing relationship with the Norge sisters, honey.”
“I wouldn’t call it ‘long-standing’ at all, Hope.” Chantell giggled.
“Norge Tower has cleared us for departure at your leisure, High Priestess. Pegasus has top priority.” Dell alerted.
“Ship status.”
“Just give the word, buddy. Or groan if it’s easier.” Grub answered.
“Let’s get going.” I said. “Have Norge Tower tell the Queen I said she’s welcome, and ‘message three-fifty-eight’.”
“As you wish, High Priestess.” Dell replied.
“Indulge yourself, Major.” I told Mom as I checked Savanna’s seat harness.
“Shipwide, Artie.” I ordered.
“Ready.”
“Attention! Our pilot has turned on the seatbelt sign. I suggest everyone strap in and haaang on! Lady Chance out.”
“Lady Hope.”
“X plus one. X plus ten. X plus twenty.” Mom announced.
“Hang on, I’m gonna punch it!” Mom warned as she shot her hand up the console.
We were in space instantly and had cleared Antarra’s defensive perimeter in the next half second.
“Can we do that again, Lady Hope?” Lyra asked excitedly.
“High Priestess. Norge Tower wants to know who gets the bill for all the broken windows.
“Tell Cora to put it on my tab.” Mom giggled.
“Well at least we know the inertial dampers work.” Charli commented.
“Structural integrity is still at one hundred percent.” Simone reported.
“My Ladies, was that demonstration truly necessary?” Cmdr. Serangetti asked, his fur just beginning to relax.
“To answer your question, Kimbou. Yes. Cora was skeptical of my stated maximum velocity for Pegasus. Last night at the dinner reception, she dared me to prove it.”
“But Lady Hope, I detected no enabling of our ‘Afterboost’ feature so a valid demonstration is null and void.”
I heard Serangetti gasp.
“Trust me, Simone, we won the bet fair and square.” Mom said with a wink.
“So, for those of us who were allowed to ‘sleep’ in, what is our next destination?” I asked sarcastically.
“We are enroute to Eden Three. Four standard hours, High Priestess.”
“Lady Sandra to Lady Chance.”
“Yes, M’lady?”
“High Priestess, would it be allowable to bring the children up to the observation lounge?”
“Savanna and I were just going up ourselves and wouldn’t mind the company, M’lady”
“My thanks, High Priestess. Lady Sandra out.”
“Deep Space Camo mode. You have the bridge, Grunfuller.”
“With all due respect, High Priestess. Cmdr. Serangetti is now the next highest-ranking Officer on Pegasus. Since I didn’t sleep well last night either, I thought I’d join you and Savanna up in Observation.”
“Commander, the Bridge is yours. Try to keep her in one piece.” I said as I stared at my buddy in contempt, knowing he got WAY more sleep than I did last night.
 
 
Even with thirty-nine children of varying ages, one baby in a ‘car seat’, and three adults filling the compartment, the Observation Lounge didn’t feel cramped or overly noisy.
“Bridge to Lady Chance. We’re an hour out from Eden Three.” Cmdr. Serangetti announced over my comm.
“Lady Lyra, time to return to your station. Lady Sandra, the children can stay here if they want. You all should be safe here.” I said as I picked up Savanna, seat and all. Grunfuller and I headed for the elevator.
 
 
Relieving Cmdr. Serangetti, I took my station with Savanna by my side.
“Alert Eden Three that we’re on approach to their system’s defensive line. Slow to sublight; Camo to default. Weapons Status.”
“Weapons are online and ready. Waiting for target designations.” Kitty reported.
“Safety lockouts enabled, My Lady.” Lyra reported professionally.
“Thank you, Ladies.” I acknowledged.
“High Priestess, I can’t raise Eden Three Space Control.” Dell announced with some concern. “Do they usually ignore entry requests?”
Her question was posed to Mom, Chantell, or Charli, but I got one of my ‘feelings’.
“Chance?” Mom asked as she looked over to me. “You got another one of your premonitions, didn’t you?”
“Grunfuller, sorry to cut your visit short, but I need you to activate. I just got a big hit on my Current sense.”
“And just how do I do that, buddy?”
“Oh, I don’t know! Maybe say something like ‘Wonder twin powers activate’ or something! Do I have to help you figure EVERYTHING out?”
I noticed Lyra had just stopped waving her wand over her head and was now in her uniform. Pretty bad when a six-year-old figured it out before…
“Geez, Buddy, okay!” Grunfuller surrendered. “Um…wonder twin powers activate.”
Lokust was back and feeling herself up…just like the last time. It was sad, really.
“Hey, it worked!” She said in amazement.
“My Lady, The second chair is yours.” Cmdr. Serangetti gestured to the Executive station.
“So you’re not the least bit disturbed that I was just a guy and now I’m a girl?”
“My Lady, I’ve seen a base of operations AND a technologically advanced spacecraft…nine in fact, pop into existence out of nowhere; witnessed four hundred children materialize from the deck of a deserted Daycare Compartment; saw a Terran infant recovered from my kitten’s back… I’m traveling through space faster than any human alive! Should a Terran changing from male to a female create any more shock?”
“Charli? Bring the AI’s on Brooms 1, 3, 4, and 8 inline.”
“As you wish, High Priestess. Brooms 1,3, 4, and 8 initializing.”
“Enabling docking controls on Brooms 1, 3, 4, and 8.” I said as I worked my console. The four Broom figures on my display turned green.
“Fairy Godmother, Kitty, Huntress and I are going out to our flanks in full Stealth Camo mode. Lokust, you have Pegasus. Commander, you’re on the Weapons console with Lyra. Mom, you might have to show me how good you really are. Simone. Watch the engines. There’s a possibility they may get a little warm. Charli? We’re going to need accurate telemetry for both Pegasus and our Brooms. Lady Sandra. Change of plan. I need everyone strapped in and the Observation ceiling closed. Report back to Lady Lokust when compliant. Major, slow to ‘space normal’. Camo to default.”
I thought a moment as I looked around the Bridge.
“Lyra, instead of handling the Safety panel, remove all safeties and give your Poppy full control. I need you to look after Savanna. Can you do that for me, M’lady?”
“Uh huh!”
“Fantastic.” I said as I buckled Savanna into her car seat and secured her next to our junior witch.
“Ladies? Let’s break in our new Brooms!” I said as I hurried off the Bridge.
 
 
“You all know where your Broom is docked, right?” I asked as I stopped at Broom Docking Ring 1.”
“Huntress and I are in two. You and Kitty are in one. Got it, Chance!” Chantell rattled off as she and Dell ran back to Ring 2.
Accessing the security panel, I specified both Kitty and my names.
“Access granted. Good hunting, ladies.”
Zipping through zero gravity was a different experience as I placed my thumb on Pegasus 1’s security pad. It opened immediately and I slipped, feet first, through the short passage right into my cockpit and seat. The Ring hatch and my canopy closed immediately after I was seated.
“Welcome Chance! I fully await your commands.”
“Hello Hope and a Pair. Ready to go protect the galaxy?”
“Ready. Pegasus Control awaiting verification of other Brooms.”
“Systems check, please.”
“Propulsion, check; Navigation, check; Environment, check; Weapons and targeting, check; Active Camoflage, check. All systems, check, Chance.”
“Fantastic! Enable propulsion and navigation. Transfer control to my station.” I said. I took hold of the Broom’s control stock and thrust control then opened my comm. “Pegasus Control, Pegasus 1 ready.”
“Control, Pegasus 8. We’re, ready.” Chantell reported excitedly.
Pegasus Control, Pegasus 3, ready.” Sinae acknowledged.
Pegasus, Pegasus 4, is ready.” Dell replied.
Pegasus Control. Approval for launch. Sequence will be as follows: Pegasus 1and Pegasus 3, Pegasus 4, and Pegasus 8.” Lokust authorized.
“Release Docking.” I ordered then felt a small shudder. I hit my thrust control and watched as Pegasus began dropping away and back. “Pegasus 1 away.”

Pegasus 3, away.” Kitty said sounding very calm.
Pegasus 4, away, Pegasus Control.” Dell said in her no nonsense, professional voice.
Pegasus 8 is away, Pegasus. YEEEHAAAWWWW!” Chantell whooped excitedly as she pulled up on my nine.
“All Brooms. Stealth Camo mode.”
“Huntress, go up to our twelve about three hundred clicks. Kitty, go to nine, three-fifty-five. Fairy Godmother, go three-seventy-eight at my six. I’ll take the three o’clock at three-twenty. Break!”
“Major, you gotta try this! These things got some real balls!” Fairy Godmother chirped excitedly.
“Maybe next time, Fairy Godmother. Chance? Seeker wants to know what she should be looking for.” Mom asked.
“Look for anything…strange. I want to say look for the mirage. A ripple…maybe a warp in the background?”
“If I see something like that you want course and heading, right?”
“Nope. That’ll just be Pegasus 9, ‘Porno’. Have her hang back and cover our backs.”
“You gave Porno her own Broom? Why, Chance?” Mom demanded
“She wanted to help.” I responded as I shrugged to myself.
Pegasus 9, Pegasus Control. I’m on approach. Where you want me?” Aunt Cora’s voice called.
“Porno! How nice to hear from you so soon! Hang back on our six and protect the rear. What took so long?” Charli’s happy voice chimed out.
“You neglected to inform me that you intended to buzz my city! I had to authorize replacement of over six million transparent panels after those six sonic events! Noggin’ great demo though!”
“Pegasus 9, Pegasus 1. Fuel reserve status.” I asked.
“Fuel reserve is…HOLY NOGGIN’ MOTHER OF PEARL!!!!” There was a long pause before Aunt Cora…’Porno’ continued. “Fuel reserve is ninety-eight percent!”
“Good to hear, Porno, and welcome back.”
“Thanks, Pegasus 9 in position.”
“Chance, sensors just picked up an Eden Cutlass. She’s not responding to our hails.” Cmdr. Serangetti announced. “It’s on an intercept course.”
“Hoblins, Chance?” Lokust asked.
“Not likely. More likely renegade Edenites.
“Prison escape?” Mom suggested. “A Cutlass would be a good choice if you wanted to leave a system in a hurry.”
“You would know, Major.” Chantell laughed.
“Ship targeted and locked. Pegasus ready to fire.”
“Have they even seen her yet, Lokust?”
“Not yet. Can you see it yet?”
“I just overflew the Cutlass, Chance. I detected no targeting scans from it.”
“Copy, Huntress. Come about and match speed.”
“Chance, I’m picking up something from Eden Three on an old EHF RF band. The message is pretty Doplered. It’ll take a minute or so to process.” Charli informed.
“Sensors just indicated the Cutlass enabled targeting scans as I overflew them, Chance. I’m coming about and hanging behind on they’re six.” Kitty reported.
“Fairy Godmother, come in on they’re three and match velocity. I’ll hang off they’re nine. We’ll give them reason to stop or change clothes, but stay out of any blast range just in case of another Gaia Incident.”
“Chance, that comm. from Eden Three is an APB on eight escapees. Forty-three dead, seventeen injured- critical, one hundred-four non-critical. All eight are euthanize-corridor.”
“Thanks, Seeker. Lokust, Hail them again. Try to get them to stop or at least close enough for Seeker to take control.”
“Copy, Chance. We just came into the Cutlass’ targeting range. They have a lock on us.”
“Safeties off, Ladies.”
A coherent, blue, light beam streaked out from the escaping ship.
“Pegasus is under attack. Repeat, Pegasus is under attack.” Lokust reported.
“Weapons and main propulsion only, Ladies.” I said as I targeted the ship’s port plasma cannon.
“Chance, I’m picking up a Current leak from their main drive. Something isn’t right here.” Kitty reported.
“Take out their forward weapons then move to minimum safe distance. They might have a Current breach in progress.” I ordered as I squeezed the trigger. The Smart ordinance smoothly found its way to their port cannon and disabled it in a bright blue flash. Another dimmer blue flash indicated that Chantell had disabled their starboard cannon.
“I have an escape pod launch from the starboard cabin. Now two more, Chance.”
“Copy, Fairy Godmother. Those should be easy to recover. Let’s introduce ourselves. Hope and a Pair, please disable Active Camouflage?”
“Active Camo disabled, Chance.”
“Edenite Cutlass. Stop and surrender or we will disable your main propulsion and physically board you!”
“There goes another pod, Chance. Hey! The targeting scans came alive again!”
Two quick beams shot from the rear of the ship destroying two of the pods instantly.
“Take out those aft cannons.” I said too late as two more beams shot behind the ship.
“All pods have been destroyed, Chance.”
Pegasus to all Brooms. Sensors indicate a breach in the Current reserve tanks. There is a critical reaction building. Clear the area.”
“Lokust, get Pegasus out of there! Two LY’s at least. Ladies, lets hit the Overboost.” I said as I smoothly moved my control stick to the left and increased my thrust to maximum by holding my thumb on the small button on the side of the control. After only a second, I backed off and reversed thrust to slow back to sublight and came about.
A huge orange fireball lit up space for at least an LY in diameter!
“Report in. Pegasus 1.”
Pegasus 3.”
Pegasus 4.”
Pegasus 9.”
Pegasus 8.”
Pegasus Command, no damage.”
“Let’s head back to Pegasus, Ladies. Pegasus Control, request vector and docking sequence.”
“Copy, Chance. Sending vector. Pegasus 9. Porno, you call the ball for Ring 2-8. Docking beacons are enabled.”
“Copy, Pegasus Control. Coordinates received and on approach.”
 
 
Pegasus 1, you call the ball for Ring 1-8.”
“Coordinates received, Chance. Automatic docking is enabled.” Hope and a Pair informed me.
“Copy, Pegasus Control. Coordinates received and on approach.” I said as Pegasus came into view ahead of me and started getting bigger.
Hope and a Pair came in over the upper aft stabilizer arc. It was one of two control structures- ‘upper’ and ‘lower’- huge bowed or arced, independent surfaces or ‘wings’ as mom called them that stabilized Pegasus in planetary atmospheres.
Once over the U-Arc, my Broom began to translate counter-clockwise and skewed to the left at the same time. Docking port 1-8 was flashing over my head as Hope and a Pair stopped translating and the ring’s docking pylon slowly engulfed my canopy.
With a slight shudder, all propulsion systems disabled.”
“Docking complete. All moorings and umbilical’s are secured, Chance.”
Pegasus welcomes you aboard and I thank you for flying me.”
“You did great, Hope and a Pair.”
“Thank you, Chance. Hope and a Pair, signing off until needed.”
My canopy opened in concert with the port’s ring hatch. After releasing my harness, I floated out and met up with Kitty at the passageway door. She was smiling enough to show her longer canines.
“So…you like?” I asked as my feet gently touched the passageway’s deck.
“Oh, yessss!” Kitty almost purred as her smile widened. “She flew like a dream, Chance, thank you, I love her!”
 
  
“Hey, girlfriend!” Chantell greeted, as she and Artemis were about to take their stations. She hurried to me and wrapped her arms around me.
“You da bomb, girlfriend!” She said gleefully before planting a kiss on my lips.
“I think ‘Olympus Found’ is the best handling, best performing, most comfortable spacecraft I’ve ever flown, Chance.” Artemis gushed as she waited her turn to hug me and kissed my cheek. “Thank you.”
“I’m a little jealous, honey. I thought your mom ranked higher in the pecking order.” Mom pouted from her station.
“You do rank at the top, mother! I trusted you to keep the kids…and Pegasus safe. Besides, you’ll get your turn to test flight your Broom.” I said as I walked to the front of the Bridge, leaned down, and kissed her cheek.
“Is it my turn yet?” Queen Norge asked in annoyance, eyeing me carefully as she stood from one of the chairs closer to Charli’s station. She made the uniform look almost indecent the way her ‘Ladies-in-Waiting’- yes, she named them- strained the fabric.
“I think it’s the best damn present anyone’s ever given me, Chance!” Aunt Cora squeezed me tight and kissed each cheek. “How did you know there would be trouble though?” She whispered.
“I didn’t, but I knew once I gave you a Broom, that warranted a test flight, which in turn, would lead to you surprising us.”
“And hey; before any of you start accusing!” Aunt Cora threatened as she pointed around the Bridge. “Rodyard loved the ride and couldn’t wait to see his friends again. Oh, and thanks for making Pin-Up a two-seater.”
I didn’t have the heart to tell her all the Brooms were reconfigurable to a certain degree, just like Pegasus.
“So is your new ward behaving? I’d hate for Sandra to go all blue plasma on him and his friends again.” I asked in curiosity.
“Males will be males, High Priestess.” She replied with a laugh.
“Ah, but Sandy can easily make corpses of them if they provoke her much harder, Cora.” Chantell laughed. “Had ‘em bundled nicely in two big blue plasma balls about three feet off the deck, I heard. Can’t imagine what she’s really capable of if they actually pissed her off.”
“She’s capable of everything we are.” I confirmed flatly. “So, what have we learned about Eden Three, Lady Charli?”
“All subspace communications have been knocked out with ancient ‘shortwave’ being the best available medium at the moment with a five hour delay. That will decrease as we get closer.”
“And how soon can we get there?” I asked.
“Twenty-five-point-three seconds if we go to warp. An hour and a half if we stay sub light. Speaking of; there’s the welcoming party now.”
“Welcoming committee, Lady Charli?”
“We have four Eden Defense Force Corvettes closing on our position- probably a posse after the escapees. Rendezvous ETA is thirty minutes at present speed and course.”
“Thank you.” I turned to our young Coven sister. “Lady Lyra? How well, in your opinion, did Cmdr. Serangetti exhibit the high standards expected of all Witch Corps members?” I asked. Her ‘Poppy’ glared at me with narrowed eyes in surprise and contempt.
“High Priestess,” She began as she turned in her seat and looked worriedly to her father. “I believe he upheld the integrity of the Corps to the best of his abilities. In such a limited engagement, he followed command decisions promptly, competently, and professionally. In summary, he did the Corps proud, My Lady.”
Aunt Cora began to laugh so hard I expected her bustier to pop and I think Cmdr. Serangetti’s fur was turning bright red! I, for one, never expected the young Lynxin to give such a mature analysis…of her father, no less!
“Very well done, M’lady. I shall consider your analysis and the Coven as a whole will debate his membership application at a more convenient time.”
“Thank you, Lady Chance.” Lyra said courteously and turned back around to attend her station.
“Hey, why wait? I’m sure we could make this a short meeting.” Mom suggested with a devious grin. “All in favor of Kimbou’s membership?”
“Eight hands raised and one holographic hand gave a ‘thumbs up’. Savanna even managed to raise her hand to look like she approved. I think she was just stretching though.
“My Lady. With all due respect, I do not think it in the best interest of the Coven to offer me membership. I fear I am not strong enough psychologically and may tarnish its reputation. I am honored that My Ladies think so highly of me, but I must humbly decline any offers made on my behalf.”
“What? Don’t think you’re man enough, Commander?” Lokust grinned. Simone nodded her agreement to our Coven sister’s question.
“Now that’s a downright shame, Commander!” Chantell giggled. “I was hoping to see you in the uniform.”
Lyra spun around quickly and stared at her father then began laughing hysterically.
This time, I think his fur actually did turn bright red!
 
 
“Unknown Spacecraft, you will slow to come along side Eden Defense Cruiser Alpha 1.”
“Seriously? We just did them a huge hulking solid and all we get is the standard ‘Unknown Spacecraft, vee vant you to submit to bureaucratic horseshit’?” Chantell griped in a strange accent.
“Not now, Natasha. Let Fearless Leader handle negotiating.” Mom suggested in an equally strange accent, only a few octaves lower.
“But Moose and Squir-rel, Boris!” Chantell insisted in the same accent.
“Bah! Moose and Squir-rel can wait, Natasha.” Mom replied, but almost couldn’t contain her laughter.
I sighed heavily and rolled my eyes at the two.
“Are we finished, Ladies? Artemis, on overhead, please.”
Dell nodded.
“Eden Defense CORVETTE, Alpha 1, this is EFMC Pegasus. We had intercepted an EHF from Eden Three asking for assistance in apprehending a stolen spacecraft with escaping detainees. Your stolen Cutlass fired upon us. Since we are transporting children of multi-planetary origins, we had no choice but to protect our passengers. Now, cut the bullshit and let us render assistance.”
“EFMC Pegasus, you will slow and come alongside Cruiser Alpha 1 as ordered!”
“Sorry! Not playing that game, CORVETTE Alpha 1! End transmission.” I ordered calmly.
Artemis nodded.
“Deep Space Camo, now. Lady Pilot, full propulsion to Eden Three and put us in synchronous orbit above their capital city.”
“Deep Space Camo, enabled.”
“Synchronous orbit insertion calculated and transferred to helm.”
“Received.”
“Engage.”
“Full propulsion.”
“Entering parking orbit above New Sri Lanka, High Priestess.” Mom announced after a few seconds.
“Default Camo. EHF to overhead again, Artemis.”
“Go ahead, Chance.” Dell acknowledged.
“EFMC Pegasus to Eden Three Defense Command. We have just entered orbit above New Sri Lanka and request update on planetary situation, please.”
“EFMC Pegasus. Welcome to Eden. As you already know, our Subspace network has been disabled and we are currently rebuilding the primary transceiver node. Our Engineers estimate six more planetary hours before we can reconnect to the Galactic network. Did you happen to come across our escapees or Posse perchance?”
“Unfortunately, the stolen Cutlass became aggressive, sir. Since we are transporting children, we had no choice but to disable their weapons and propulsion. Several life pods were jetisoned but were destroyed by the Cutlass itself. We detected a cascading Current breach and had to pull back. The Cutlass was destroyed, sir. I’m estimating with all hands.”
“Understood, stand-by…umm…EFMC Pegasus, we have just intercepted a communication from our Posse that they are ordering you to pull alongside. We gave no order of the kind, but please explain your arrival here in such a short time, given EHF time lag.”
“Eden Defense Command, if you still have an updated Galactic Registry available, query our Hull number: NCC-53847B in the Allied Interstellar Military database.”
After waiting a few minutes, Eden Defense Command came back on sounding more wary and cautious.
“EFMC Pegasus, please state the nature of your visit.”
“Our representative contacted you several standard days ago in regards to the Mare de Tempest incident. We have been tasked with transporting the orphaned children to secondary or alternate guardians. Enroute, we became informed of your detainee escape incident. Since they were heading straight for us, we decided to help. Do you now require our assistance planetside?” I said, filing our official purpose via report.
“EFMC Pegasus, we see that you are rated for planetary reentry. Sending coordinates to landing pad and transferring you to NSL Tower. Again, welcome to Eden. EDC out.”
 
 
Pegasus gave a slight shudder as mom placed her gently on the ground. The specified landing site was a large, level, bare patch of ground just outside the capital city of New Sri Lanka. Half a dozen people covered their eyes and mouths as Pegasus kicked up some dust.
“NSL Tower, Pegasus is down and propulsion is offline.” Artemis radioed.
“Copy, Pegasus. Welcome to New Sri Lanka. As usual, the weather is twenty-six degrees centigrade with clear skies and just a slight breeze. Hope you enjoy your stay.” The voice confirmed in a singsong, lackadaisical voice.
“Lady Chance, Lady Sandra. We’ve arrived in New Sri Lanka, Eden Three. Please prepare our passengers.”
“We felt Pegasus land, M’lady. I have them collecting their belongings as we speak.”
Mom looked at me, incensed that someone had actually said they ‘felt’ Pegasus land.
“Thank you, M’lady, but hold off on their personals. We have a diplomatic meet and greet first. Chance out.”
“Well Ladies? I guess its time for more Pomp and Circumstance. Diplomatic dress, please.” I said with slight reservation as my clothing changed. I checked that Savanna was covered properly then picked up her and her ‘car seat’. I also made note of Lyra’s clothing changing to a matching, though age appropriate, dress. Her ‘Poppy’s’ eyes bulged in surprise!
“Shall we?” I offered, motioning to the back of the Bridge and the passageway beyond with a renewed smile. On the way, I asked Sandra Anderson to watch Savanna.

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So Pegasus 9/Porno...

...traveled more quickly than the mother ship did to catch up with them?

Other stuff: am I right in assuming that the escapees in the Cutlass deliberately self-destructed after shooting down their escape pods to ensure there'd be no survivors? That sounds more like a covert war mission than a prisoner escape. (And their Current was clean; no hoblins or taint involved.)

I assumed Pegasus was going to Eden Three to drop off one or more of the orphans, but I'm not sure now whether that was the plan, or whether it went by the wayside when they found themselves faced with the turmoil on the planet. Or is it just that they haven't introduced themselves yet?

Finally, there's Lady Lyra, both more empowered and seemingly more mature than any six-year old ought to be. Obviously it's not another tainted-Current stowaway in her mind; Chance would detect that. But I don't think Current could do that to/for her on its own, and it seemed as though she was showing signs of that maturity before Chance sort-of-activated her magic. There doesn't seem to be anything here equivalent to Hope and Charli's mental storage or for that matter Chantell's life-saver that could cause this, but did Libra come along for the ride somehow?

Eric

Another interesting chapter

Another interesting chapter here! This story has been a joy to read. I'd agree that Lyra seems surprisingly mature for her age but I'm not well versed in space cat girl development! As always, thanks for sharing this wonderful tale!

Thanks.

WillowD's picture

Thanks for the chapters.

This is a very entertaining

This is a very entertaining story, all the old show references crack me up especially since the later generations have no clue what they are talking about.

Nice

I love this story I like the showing off with the space ship. Lyra might surpass Chance when she gets older at this rate. I love when she put her Poopy in that outfit. Did the ship change to accommodate the other broom I’m also wondering if she can make the ship bigger?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

great new series

Enjoying this.. Thanks

alissa