What It Takes To Survive - Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

Ben's eyes told so much but his lips said nothing. He simply stared at us with that broken expression that had become his trademark.
In a quick action, he turned and sprinted away.

I started to follow but Mikey held me back, "don't" he said shaking his head briefly.

"He's going to go tell everyone!" I protested.

"Let him" he replied simply.

I looked up at him and he smiled. My eyes grew watery from dealing with so much emotion. He brought his face forward and kissed me on my forehead lightly before pulling me into a tight hug.

"It's you and me now Jo" he assured me as I buried my head in his shirt. "I won't let anything come between us".

▼・j61;・▼

Mikey seemed sure in every step he took closer to the compound but my strides weren't as certain.
I couldn't help but worry about how they'd see Mikey and I after they found out what we'd been doing. The last thing this group needed was conflict especially since we all needed eachother to survive.

Mikey squeezed my hand as if to reassure me that everything was going to be okay. I'd even forgotten that we'd been holding hands. I looked down at our hands intertwined. It made me smile. I felt safe. I felt like no matter what happened, he would protect me. And so I trusted in that.

By the time we got back to the lake, the boys were already out of the water. I saw Tate rush out of the compound and towards our position and I let go of Mikey's hand.

Tate closed the gap quickly and spoke with urgency, "where the hell have you guys been? Coach needs us all gathered in the house. It seems important! Come hurry!". And right after, he took off back to the house.

Mikey and I looked at eachother and followed.

▼・j61;・▼

The entire team was huddled just inside the house forming a circle looking intently at coach who had a worried look on his face.

"Harris! Fahey! Get in here! There's something you all need to hear" he said sternly. Coach had never liked to wait for us. That much had carried over from the training field to this island. At least he didn't have us running laps for being late.

We both took spots and looked to coach.

"While you all were out having your fun, I took to exploring this place. Get a sense of what this place was. Hidden in a fake wall towards the far side of the building..." He slid a wooden box across the floor to the center of our circle "..I found this"

He let us take it in before continuing.

"It was locked so I had Doug pick the lock" He raised the lid of the box to reveal its contents. "Now there's a lot of stuff in there, a cigar, documents and letters talking about what this place is and this..." He brings into view what looks to be a tape recorder.

"Now I listened to some of the stuff on here" he continued "but I thought it'd be better if we all listened to it together".

He placed it on the box and pressed the play button.

It took a while but eventually a voice came on.

"Dr. Isaac Fenchurch island log #43" there was a long pause before it continued. "I won't say our time here was a failure because it wasn't. We learned so much even if we lost a lot more. If we're lucky, this will be my last recording and by this time tomorrow, I'll be on a boat off this God forsaken rock"

There was another long pause. We all looked around at one another.

"I can't say we perfectly understand this island but I can atleast rule out that whatever is causing all of this isn't supernatural like some of the men believe. We sent two of the researchers yesterday to the center of the island for one last attempt to figure it all out. Maybe we shouldn't have done that. Murphy and Johnson, two of our brightest minds returned but barely able to put words together. But in all their incoherent ramblings, they both spoke of a flower"

"Johnson..." there was a brief pause before Dr. Fenchurch continued speaking "Johnson shot and killed himself late last night. We've restrained Murphy for his own good"

"Oh my God" I let out unconsciously.

"Dr. Suresh and I have posited that towards the island's center, there may be a flower growing there whose spores seem to impair brain function or simply alter it depending on the level of exposure. If that is the case, our proximity to it would have only served to make our situation worse"

Our entire group sat there frozen listening to the chilling words from the recorder.

"Symptoms of exposure include altered behaviour, aggression, hallucination and in some rare cases, abnormal dreams"

I felt my throat tighten and my heart rate increase. I couldn't react any other way except to keep listening.

"Larger exposure can cause cognitive breakdown and maybe even suicidal tendencies. We suspect extended exposure could lead to more unpredictable effects which is why we've asked for an extraction immediately."

"Coach..." I heard Tate say but he is cut off by the recording

"It pains me that we have to leave so early because we were just starting to record good progress in our plans to create a perfect ecosystem. The animals even seem to be thriving. This island was to be a paradise. Our first step in creating an ecosystem totally conducive for human survival that we could replicate anywhere but it seems mother nature had entirely different plans. This is Dr. Isaac Fenchurch logging off for what I hope to be the last time".

The sound broke off and a second later, a click told us that it was over. No one said a word. We just stared gloomily.

Ben stood with a blank expression but his eyes seemed full of pain.

"Nothing is real, nothing is real" he repeated as he stood and left the house.

When he slammed the door shut, I turned back to look across the team. Everyone was speechless, perhaps still in shock over what we'd just heard.

"We have to get off this island" Doug said finally.

"How Doug? How are we going to do that? Tate asked.

He didn't reply.

"There's a boat" Tommy chimed in "We found it by the water during our first couple days here but there's no paddle"

"And you didn't think to mention that before?" Doug asked.

"Hey easy" Coach said trying to defuse the growing tension "where's this boat?"

"Not far" Tommy replied "straight shot using the path down to the beach"

Coach nodded "Now listen, I know you're all scared right now and maybe rightly so but we need to remain calm. I said that we'll survive this island and we will. Now we're going to continue things the same way that got us this far okay?"

We all mumbled our agreement.

"Eldon, I need you to go start a fire. Jo's going to whip us up something nice aren't you Jo?"

"Sure coach" I said forcing a smile.

"Now we have enough food stores to last us for some time so we can stay put. I don't want anyone going anywhere for the time being. We don't want to expose ourselves to anything"

We all nodded in agreement.

"Tomorrow morning, we'll go see the state of this boat and then see if we can't craft a paddle. We remember where we saw that flare. Trying to get there could be our best bet. All that clear?"

"Yes coach!" We chorused.

"Good" he said finally "get moving".

▼・j61;・▼

I'd never been a really good cook. Mum had tried to get Gaby and I to learn but neither of us had been very interested. But over the past few weeks, I seem to have figured it out. I had adjusted the quantities of everything over time and ended up with something that was atleast edible.

Earlier, I'd shown Mikey how to peel the yam and slice them properly and I'd tossed them into the pot of boiling water. Added salt and pepper and the dried meat from one of the animals on the island. As we waiting for it to boil properly, we got to talking.

"I miss my bed" I groaned.

"I miss having an actual shower" he replied.

"I miss TV" I said after thinking for a second.

"I miss Bosco" Mikey replied smiling.

"I'd miss him too if he didn't bark at me every time" I pouted.

He laughed "yeah he's never liked you I don't know why"

"Oh you totally know why" I protested.

"That wasn't my fault"

"It was totally your fault!" I said louder than intended.

"We were fighting. It's not my fault he's so protective of me"

"We were PLAY fighting" I stressed "And I wasn't even winning!"

"Well now he barks every time he sees you" he let out a big laugh that made me pout some more.

"It's not funny" I said while trying to hold back my own laughter.

"It's a little funny" he said with a cute smile.

I finally let out a small laugh "maybe a little".

We sit quietly for a while listening to the fire cracking in the evening breeze. The liquid in the pot would sometimes rise and spill over the sides of the pot into the fire.

"I hate that we're stranded on this stupid rock" I said eventually.

"Well yeah but if it never happened, we wouldn't be..." he paused "you know"

This caught me off guard.

"Are we?" I asked.

"Aren't we?"

I smiled and nodded before turning my gaze to the floor.

▼・j61;・▼

We ate in turns since we had only two plates but soon we were all done and sat together in the large room on the beds that we had laid across the floor. Doug and Gabe had agreed to share a bed since there wasn't enough to go around.

I noticed Ben staring at me but I didn't say anything. It didn't seem like he had told anyone and I wasn't in a hurry to make him tell.

The dress I wore made it so I had to sit with both legs to one side but other than that, it was pretty comfortable.

We thought there'd be more clothes to go around after we got to the compound but there were only a handful of clothes left behind and there were mostly in worn out conditions. This didn't bother me however because I didn't want to wear anything other than the clothes I'd been wearing since.

"You'd make a really great cook, Jo" Doug said and I thought he really meant it.

"Thanks" I replied smiling.

"Yeah" Gabe agreed "I don't know how you do it but it tasted really nice"

The group seemed to agree.

"Thanks" I said again with a wider smile. "Ben, I didn't see you eat anything"

"Wasn't hungry" he replied simply.

▼・j61;・▼

We all slept as soon as we could in preparation for the next day but sometime in the night, I felt a hand on my face. I woke up abruptly to find Ben kneeling next to me moving his fingers across my face. His eyes were so wide open and unnatural.

I started to scream but as soon as he saw this, he pressed both hands to my throat and pressed hard catching my voice before it left my lips. I squirmed trying to move but he only pressed harder and harder until I felt the room spin.

I stretched my hand to his face to scratch or pull or anything to get him to stop but I couldn't reach and my hand flailed in midair. When that didn't work, I tried to pull his hands off my neck but his grip was too strong.

I struggled to breath but my lungs remained empty. I tried to cough but the action just hurt my throat.

I started kicking and flinging my body as hard as I could but this only made him get on top of me to stop that.

I started losing my sight and the world got dark. I managed to force "please... stop" past my lips but they fell on deaf ears. I gave up and thought it wasn't fair that I would die like this after surviving so much.

I would later find out that coach had tackled him off me and held him down and eventually tied him up. When I came to, he was kicking and screaming.

Mikey was by my side and stopped me from trying to stand.

"Tommy, Tommy listen...." he begged as he pulled at the ropes "They're not real Tommy. The island is messing me us"
He tried to free himself from the ropes and when he realised that wouldn't work, he continued talking "You gotta believe me Tommy. Why'd you tie me up? You can't let the island mess with you buddy. It's just me and you here. No one else"

He pulled and pulled and even seemed to be hurting himself but he didn't stop.

"Listen to me Tommy, let me go and we can get rid of them together. Untie me and I'll show you, they're not real"

He wasn't even looking at the rest of us. His eyes just remained fixed on Tommy as he pleaded.

"These versions of our friends aren't even accurate Tommy! You know what Jonathan looks like right? That's not him right? Look at him!"

I brought my hand to my neck and felt a sharp pain. My throat hurt so bad.

"And and and I saw this Mikey here kissing Jonathan! Come on man! You know Mikey right? He'd never kiss a dude!"

I was in so much pain but I only pitied him. What could have happened to him to make him like this?

"Coach, his eyes" I heard Gabe say "They're really red"

I watched Tommy turn to leave and Ben become so much more aggressive kicking and shouting.
"The island has taken you Tommy but I'll save you! I'll get rid of them. I'll kill them for both of us Tommy! You hear me? I'll kill them and I'll save us both".

"Find something to gag him with and make sure those binds are secure" Coach said as he turned to leave.

Doug stops him.

"Coach we gotta get off this island"

Phew. I'm glad this part is done. I always dreaded writing this chapter and it even scared me while I did. Are you afraid for them now? I'd love to know what you thought of the events up until now.
The entire story is pretty much done in my head now, all that's left is to put it all down. I hope you'll stick around.
I'll be reading and replying to all comments on the story so don't be shy.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I liked the return to the

I liked the return to the island. Great story.
I think along with the tampons and pads there should be contraceptive pills and some condoms. Condoms are useful for carrying water.
maybe the pills are mislabeled or mistaken for vitamins. Maybe a sewing kit too.cotton wool too.Something like Advil or paracetamol.
cuticle cutter and something to trim finger and toenails.
The island.
The fruit and animals on the island do make it seem man-made.
Apples as know could not grow in that heat. I would have expected to find more tropical fruit like mangos, bananas, passion fruit, lychee, durian, pineapple, pomegranate, coconut, citrus, guava, Jackfruit, Cashews, etc
https://loveenglish.org/tropical-fruits/
Cannabis could grow well there maybe someone on the island had some plants for their own use. The cannabis resin is useful in treating tropical ulcers. if applied externally on the tropical ulcer.
The island I think is too hot for potatoes. Sweet potatoes or cassava should do better. I would expect to see sugar cane and breadfruit.
Coffee plants should grow well as should tea. Cocoa should be possible too ginger should grow well as could grapevines.
rice could grow well there but that would be a lot of work to harvest.
Spices like pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chiles should grow well too.
Bamboo should grow well and is useful for making all kinds of stuff.
The lack of rats and mosquitoes means they were very careful in how they set up the place.
I would imagine there should be more birds. Parrots and sea birds maybe some fruit-eating bats like flying foxes.

I think a place like an island would need a harbour to land all the stuff they need to set the place up, maybe and airstrip too or they could have used flying boats to supply the island and to get people out for medical reasons.
I think there should be some roads too. There could be an land strip might be overgrown by now. Harbours, roads, and airstrip might be leftovers from a Japanese or American base in ww2.
The should be the remains of some comms on the island satellite dishes or radio masts. The electronics might not work due to the damp climate or just lack of power. There could be generators too but may be out of fuel. I think they would need a wind generator or dam and hydro-powered generator to supply power on the island as these would not need fuel to be brought in from outside.
There should be tools leftover like machetes or other gardening and basic farm tools. Maybe some woodworking tools or tools for construction. These may have been hidden as the people there started to go crazy. Same with any weapons like guns, bows, and arrows, etc.
A rubbish dump could have a lot of old bottles or broken tools etc.
I think they would have underground bunkers to shelter for tropical storms and as secure storage. This may be where they put stuff like kitchenware and tools etc and this might explain why they have not found much yet. Again the bunkers could be a leftover from WW2 but could be locked. If there was a base there could be heavy weapons still there like coastal defence heavy artillery, anti-aircraft guns or tanks and abandon aircraft, jeeps even buldozers now overgrown by jungle.,

Local fishermen might avoid the island due to rumours about it being cursed.
This is the kind of place in fiction that might have been a base for pirates in the past and who knows maybe even buried treasure.

Rescue
Who might find them
Maybe a yacht that has become lost?
A cruise ship looking for a shelter from a storm?
A tramp steamers?
A Navy ship looking for drug/weapons smugglers?
Modern Pirates?

Belfast

Information

Emma's picture

There's a lot of stuff here that I hadn't thought about to give the island a 'lived in' feel and some history. Also the kind of plants and fruits that would actually be home to this sort of island.

Do you think I could pick your brain when I eventually try to properly rewrite this story?

I Don't Think I'd Post This...

...if you hadn't asked. And since I'm looking at plot points here and also at writing strategy, this may be twice as long and half as organized as it ought to be. Please bear with me.

I'm glad that you're at least trying to justify the four-chapter dream sequence. I consider major disruptions like that a breach of trust on the part of an author, obliging us to innocently invest our thoughts and feelings into something long and extensive that turns out not to be real in story terms.

True, the events here were consistent with a dream sequence, with everything turning out right for Jo to transition without interference. But I don't think a reader could be expected to consider that possibility, not even to reject it.

(Unless there was something subtle there that I didn't catch, in which case it's my problem. But since we'd never been to their hometown or met their families, we weren't placed in a position where we could find inconsistencies there, short of Jo having told us something -- that he's an only child, perhaps, or that he only has one parent living with him -- that the dream section then contradicted. Even then, the nature of sites like this one would make it more likely that we'd think it was an author glitch than a plot point, and alert the author either privately or publicly.)

The other important problem with stories continuing after lengthy dream sequences is that we can no longer trust the author as to whether or not what we're seeing now is real. (Even more so when the narrator/lead character tends to black out pretty regularly.) I don't believe we have any way of knowing whether or when you're going to pull the rug out on us again.

And here, when we're being told the island induces hallucinations as well as real-seeming dreams, how can Jo be a trustworthy narrator?

Consider how we got here. From a high vantage point, Mikey pointed out something in the sky; Jo looked and saw a major flare and a ship. Mikey tells her afterward that they headed back to the cave at full speed to relay the news, with Mikey in the lead; Jo fell, got injured and blacked out. If that story's true, we don't know whether Mikey saw the same thing in the sky that Jo did, but whatever he saw -- and he saw it first -- was enough to justify ending a make-out session and speeding down the hill as quickly as possible. That strongly suggests that he saw something, at least in the sky, that the group would need to react to right away, even while trying to save Jo. (An alternative, I suppose, is that Mikey saw something lethal up there -- a velociraptor, a WWII Japanese fighter plane or a drone with a bomb, or something comparable -- that made him conclude that fleeing for their lives was their best choice, and somehow it wasn't a threat that the group would have to deal with after they left the overlook.)

Another alternative is that it was Mikey -- as an willing or unwilling enemy agent, whatever the enemy might be -- who distracted Jo, knocked her unconscious (or got a confederate, possibly someone we hadn't met, to do that; we now know that there were at least two others on the island) and made up everything else. We have only his word on the accident, or even that they were running to the cave with important information. (And Jo's, as to what the thinks she saw.)

A motive for any of this is hard to come by whether or not the incident was real. Isolating the pair from the rest of the group? Nothing seems to have happened while they were gone that would indicate that their adversary would want to do that. (Although, of course, since they traffic in illusion, we can't know that.) Was there something at the overlook that their adversary didn't want them to see, and for some reason couldn't use the illusion power to make it invisible to them? , I guess that'd be possible, but if so, why let them (or induce them to) start a romantic interlude and then interrupt it?

If one accepts that the enemy can change anything at all -- reactions, opinions, personalities -- then there's nothing we can rely on: Mikey could forget why they were running, or the coach could say that he doesn't trust the potential rescuers and wants the group to hide until they leave the area, or there could be any number of totally illogical developments that nobody in the group would notice or at least say anything about. IMO that's a terrible thing for an author to set up; it essentially defeats or fundamentally distorts the whole point of the narrative without letting the readers know, assuming the narrator is one of those affected. (It can be done -- the narrator starts throwing in non-sequiturs like enemy emplacements or upcoming pitched battles against an opposing army that didn't exist before then -- but I think it's not optimal and it's certainly distrscting.)

Getting back to dream sequences in general, the classic "aha!" full-length dream stories, Alice and the film version of Wizard of Oz, both end the story with the reveal, with just a brief coda after that. The dream settings, Wonderland and Oz respectively, are surreal anyway. Even the two long stories I know of in that category that are or were on this site -- to make it less of a spoiler, I'll just say that one happens to Kaleigh Way's Marcie and one to Maddy Bell's Nena, and that most of their stories are not dreams -- end that way. IMO that's not a good thing: the author has disrespected her readers' goodwill by having them look for a resolution that never arrives.

But doing it after a detailed, "realistic" four chapters and then continuing the story puts an author at risk in that it can make readers disengage. Even if they continue reading -- right now I plan to -- they can't or at least won't (IMO) treat the story quite the way they did before.

I hasten to point out that this analysis doesn't focus on the story's many good points. They're certainly appreciated: solid writing, good action, good proofing, character development that in most cases is solid and substantial enough that adversary-induced major shifts will be recognizable.

Eric

I've got nothing to say on

Emma's picture

I've got nothing to say on the point of the reader seeing the story differently than before. The point of the lengthy dream chapters was to put the readers in the same boat the group is in. What is real? It was meant to mimic the power of the island in a way that a reader could be affected. Admittedly, I didn't think about the reader distrusting Jo's account but it's something that came up as I formed the last few chapters and something that's certainly important.

I thought I'd said that what Mikey saw was a menacing storm gathering. They would have needed to prepare for it depending on how bad the storm was. I'll have to go back and make sure that was clear.

In my head, Ben was in his own head. I'm sure we can appreciate that there's a lot for him to be thinking about. That's his friend right there thrashing about irrationally. That could be him. Was that him? Was he actually going crazy too? I thought the move to not react and simply leave was logical. I wonder if readers see it differently. I just have to focus on what makes sense to me for now.

There's a lot of stuff here and I'm so glad you took the time to write it. I want this story to be the best it can be and with inputs like these, I feel I can do that.

Separate Point: Tommy

I'm having trouble figuring out Tommy's failure to respond to Ben at the end. If he's not an illusion in that final scene, one would think he'd at least deny that he tied up Ben. If he's seeing something different from everyone else - possible, under the terms of the story -- I'm not coming up with anything that could make him think that he actually did tie Ben up.

Eric

interesting

Miyata's picture

This story kind of reminds me of a book called 'The Island of Dr. Moreau'.

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda