The Voyage of the Visund -33-

Printer-friendly version

The Visund departs Joth to resume its journey upstream. All are looking forward to the journey, glad to be afloat once more. Tackling the tricky currents, the Visund narrowly avoids a collision while Tyra has an unexpected proposal.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

33 - On the Sirrel Again


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Maralin settled down sitting astride one of the benches so that he could face his fellow passengers, the four women. To either side, fore and aft, the men were pulling hard on the oars and the banks slid past at a reasonable speed. Soon the entrance widened as they reached the main run of the Sirrel. Ahead, in the distance, he could see the shore of Smordan, partly obscured by haze this early in the day.

He twisted around, taking rough note of where everybody was. At the bow, two men stood watch for floating debris that might collide with the hull. Since the gogon incident, and with much muttering, both lookouts now had safety lines tied around their waists. At the mast, astern of Maralin's position, two more were making ready to hoist the sail once they turned north to resume their voyage. At the stern, in the hull, Lars oversaw the rowers while Eriana stood on the poop talking to Tor, who held the steering oar with an easy grip.

Suddenly, Maralin turned, searching.

Bennet asked, "What is the problem, Tenant?"

"I can't see -" He stopped and stood up abruptly. "I must tell Her Highness!"

Swiftly he clambered towards the back, having to twist around the two at the mast and dodging others pulling oars.

"Highness!" Maralin suddenly remembered protocol. "I mean, Captain! I can't see the pilot! Have we left him behind?"

Eriana put one hand on the post which would normally support the dismounted mast and hopped lightly down from the poop.

"Maralin, it is true, in a manner of speaking. It seems that, with the renewed river traffic, Pilot Prell was asked if he would take a barge downstream while he waited for the Visund to be ready. As I did not know how long we would be delayed, I agreed and off he went. Unfortunately, if you recall, he was one of those with a twisted ankle and on that barge it seems he twisted it again. Now he lies, without employment, in the hostel at West Haral until he is fit again."

"Oh. Should he have gone, do you think?"

Eriana shook her head. "I do not know, Maralin. If Ursula had examined him before he went, I doubt not that she would have advised against it. But they were desperate and so he decided to take the chance."

"But... now you are setting off without a pilot, on a stretch of river which is unknown to any of us."

"That is also true. The war has caused many of those who call the river their homes or their source of income some difficulty. Many have died, of course, but others are missing, some stranded in countries far away from their homes. The pilots who remain are in great demand. The Harbor Office at Joth suggested that I might attempt the river to Forguland without a pilot as it is mostly a direct route. Only at the approach to the city is there complication, and I have been given charts and instructions to cover the whole stretch."

Maralin raised an eyebrow. "I hesitate to ask, but -"

Eriana held up a hand with a smile. "Maralin, I have learned that the heavens do not fall if I should show doubt or weakness. I have sailed the wide ocean, it is true, and I deem that I am mistress of that domain. The river," she shook her head, "now that is another matter. I think that Tor and I, with the help of everyone aboard, should be able to sail the Visund as far as Forguland but I would not care to go further without a knowledgeable guide."

He nodded. "As you say, Captain. Beyond, well that is Ferenis and presumably many who know that stretch but once we get to Yod..."

"Aye. During the war few vessels would have chanced the passage through Yod for fear of attack or confiscation. No pilots would have sailed that stretch, I deem, for six months or more, and the river will likely have shifted in that time, or so I am told."

A grimace. "So in Forguland or Ferenis, we'll need to find somebody who knows their way through and beyond - and has done that stretch recently."

"Indeed. But we are in no real haste, Maralin. Let us enjoy our visits to friendly lands before we concern ourselves with stranger waters."

"As you say."

Tor called down. "Captain? Are we far enough out?"

Eriana shaded her eyes and looked at both banks. "Aye, I would think so."

The First Mate leaned on the oar, forcing the stern of the ship to swing right and thus the bow to turn left. Within a very brief period of time they were pointing towards the north wall of the Great Valley and Eriana gave a call.

«Lower the sail!»

With the yard almost parallel to the ship the sail was dropped, billowing out to the left with the morning breeze. Tor adjusted the steering oar to counteract the natural tendency of the ship to turn and all could feel the motion as she slid forward. Eriana looked at the water gliding past, at the tell-tale at the top of the mast, and at the banks on either side.

«Men! Pull in the oars for now but do not unship them. We will have to cross the current soon, to your shield side.»

Maralin asked, "If I may look at the charts, Captain. I have a little knowledge of the stretch we are now in, though not by sailing it, of course."

"Aye, of course. Anything extra we may learn may be of use as we progress."

Eriana squatted down and pulled out a satchel from the baggage packed under the poop. She took out a roll of charts, pushing the satchel back so that it would not be underfoot. Unrolling the charts on the poop, she selected one and put it on top.

"Here we are. Do you see, Maralin, how the river will shortly curve right? It seems that we must cross the stream and then cross back again after the curve. I am told that we can stay on the left side until just after the next bend, here. We must needs cross again before we pass Thorn and then back again before we turn left at the Wall."

Maralin nodded. "Aye. It looks awkward but I know that it is thought easy enough to do, Captain." He glanced up at the sail. "I don't know how the Visund handles against the wind compared to the barges you can see around us."

"Aye." Eriana, in turn, inspected the several barges in view on the river, most heading upstream with tall lateen sails full in the morning breeze. "We managed before we arrived at Joth, but the circumstances were different then. We shall try the sail but it will not hurt the men to row awhile."

He gave the Princess a sidelong glance. "Remember, Captain, they haven't done anything like this for a month or so."

"I know it, Maralin. It would not do to stretch arms and legs too much before they are all fit again, but that will only happen by doing, as you know. Mayhap we now have Ursula to tell us if I ask too much of the men."

He smiled. "I think that I am as relieved as you must be that she decided to go with you. Ursula made good friends in Joth and did good works, but something clearly was not right. Having her on board should solve a number of problems, I deem."

"Indeed! I am not sure -"

"Captain." Tor called down from above. "The ship, something is wrong. It feels heavy."

Alert now, Eriana stood and felt the motion of the ship as it slowly progressed upriver. Like almost everyone aboard, she had discarded her footwear as soon as it was possible and her bare feet tested the motion through the planks of the hull.

"It is heavy," she said after a few moments, frowning. "But that is strange, there are less on board today than before, when we had Wallesan and his party with us." She cast her eyes along the length of the vessel. "If there had been some leak it would have been easily noticed, I deem. Maralin, is there some property of river water which is different so far away from the sea? I can think of no other reason the Visund behaves this way."

"Captain, you do remember that I lived thousands of marks from the ocean?" Maralin stopped then with a thought, before adding, "However, I did live beside a lake, a very large lake... of fresh water. Maybe that is the difference, the water is different depending on whether it has salt in it or not." He waved a hand at the brown water sliding past. "Or something else, maybe, like all the silt we see here."

"And this far from the sea there is likely to be no salt in it at all. I wonder... Tor, it looks as if this will be our lot from now on. You must needs adjust your handling as though we carried more cargo."

The First Mate replied, "Aye, Captain. All these other craft must do the same, I wonder if that makes a difference how they are designed and constructed."

Eriana's gaze narrowed as she thought. "A good thought, Tor. I wondered at some of the strange designs we have seen, mayhap there is reason for it."

"What are you thinking, Captain?" Maralin asked. "Or maybe I should say Admiral? Getting the right design for your river craft is going to be essential for the future."

"You are right, Maralin, but almost anything new the Navy will commission will have the benefit of steam, I deem, and will almost certainly look different than anything presently on the river."

"Of course, Captain."

"But I must needs adjust my thinking from craft like this -" she swept a hand to encompass the Visund, "- which I am familiar with, to ideas new to all and yet untried. Tell me, do you know where craft like those barges are built along the Sirrel? Does each land build its own or are there places which build for any who come with coin?"

"You are asking about people who already have knowledge of building river craft, although not powered by steam, of course. Actually, by chance, we will pass a place on the Smordan side shortly that does just that. In the uplands of Smordan, to the north, forests grow with certain types of trees that make excellent ship-building material. There are shipyards along here, near Hirdam, the ferry port that faces Thorn. I believe they have customers the length of the Great Valley."

Eriana's eyes lit up with recognition. "Aye! It was a while ago, now, but I remember seeing the yards as we returned from Forguland by road. Of course, at that time I thought the craft to be strange and uncouth to my eyes, but we were anxious to return to Palarand and I gave it no more thought. I wonder, should we land there today and investigate?"

Maralin grimaced. "It would cost you a day, Captain, and arrangements have already been made for your arrival in Forguland. Of course, as a Messenger I personally have to get there as soon as possible, so if you did decide to go to Hirdam I would have to leave you and carry on by ferry and road on my own."

"As you say, Maralin." Eriana smiled. "Then I shall not inconvenience you, we will continue as planned. I doubt it will be the last time I shall pass this way, a personal visit can wait. However, we may glean what we may by using our telescopes as we pass by, no?"

He nodded. "As you say, Captain. It is surprising to me just how much use I have made of my telescope since the King presented it to me."

"Indeed! For those who ride the waters a telescope will be as much use, I find, as a fork is to anyone who eats meals. Come, let us find our own and make them ready for when we approach Hirdam."

"Of course, Captain." He turned. "Is this a good time? I thought you said we had to cross the current soon."

"As you say! I was told to look out for a white-painted post on the Joth bank and that would be our sign to begin the crossing."

Eriana and Maralin shaded their eyes and searched the distant bank but it was Tor who first spotted the post from his higher vantage point.

"Captain, it is there." He pointed.

"Ah, I cannot see, the sail... Oh, aye." She turned and faced the crew. «Men! A moment more and then you should make your oars ready. We head for your shield side this time, then after an hour or so, we'll go back to the Joth side.»

The oars were pushed back out and the men prepared themselves. Maralin noted that most had taken their tee shirts off and wondered why. It was still barely mid-morning, the air had not yet warmed up appreciably.

Well forward, Bennet and Semma looked at each other.

Bennet said, "That was unexpected, but not unwelcome." She gazed with satisfaction at the naked torsos being displayed around her, most but not all covered with thick curly hair of various colors.

"Aye," Semma agreed with a smile. "This is not something we saw very often at the Palace, for obvious reasons!"

She leaned over and saw the expression on Tyra's face. "Does it trouble you, Tyra, to see so much man-flesh?"

Tyra managed a creditable shrug though it may have been forced. "I have seen my father and others working on their boats, Semma. I will say that none have so much hair on their bodies!"

"As you say! An agreeable sight, if I may say so." Semma twisted around to ask Ursula a question. "Mistress, if you would tell us what instruction Her Highness has just given. Though we attempt to learn the language of Einnland none of us has yet many words."

"Yes, of course," Ursula agreed. "She tells the men that we are about to cross the current and to make ready the oars."

"Thank you, Mistress." Bennet turned and asked Semma, "Shall we do as before and join the rowers?"

"Why not?" the younger guardswoman replied. "We will spend much of the journey sitting thus, it would help to get our blood moving."

Tyra listened with interest. "If I may ask, what is it you intend doing?"

"As we journeyed up from Dekarran, the Visund must needs cross the flow many times," Bennet explained. "Do you know of this?"

Tyra nodded. "Aye, of course, I have spent time on the river, only along this stretch, but I do know that most craft must needs avoid the strong current that runs from corner to corner of the river."

"As you say. Some stretches were difficult and all took an oar, or shared one, to help cross the strongest parts. Even Her Highness took an oar on occasion."

"Then I must do so as well." Tyra remembered who she worked for and turned. "With your permission, Mistress?"

Ursula nodded. "Of course. Why not? If I can be of help then I will do so as well." She asked Bennet, "What must we do?"

"Why, we sit on a bench alongside one of the rowers, Mistress. Do you see that almost all rowers have an oar each? Indeed, there are spare oars and room for more rowers, but we have not the build to pull one on our own, so we sit beside one of the crew and share their oar." She shrugged. "We may not have the power of some of these larger men but every little helps, I deem."

The four turned and found places beside four of the crew, two on each side. Those men moved outwards to permit the women to reach the end of the oars. At the stern, Tyra could see Eriana speak with Lars, who turned and faced the rowers. He began to call out instructions.

«Ready, men! Then pull! Pull! Pull!»

The rhythm was slow enough that it caused no-one any distress. As the rowing took effect, Tor moved the steering oar so that they slowly angled over to the Smordan bank. The man who Tyra sat next to had a word for her, though.

«Pull slower, Miss.»

"What? I'm sorry, I don't speak your language... yet."

He grinned at her as they continued to pull.

"I forget. Is not competition. We have to pull same as other oars or oars will get... mixed? Tangled?"

"What? Oh!" She blushed. "Aye, I see! Yes, of course. When I went out with my father there would be only one or two men rowing, so they did not have to think much about that. I am sorry, who are you?"

"Haakon Eirik's son, Mistress."

She smiled shyly at him. "Then you'll have to teach me how to row properly on a big ship like this..." her eyelids lowered, "...and possibly how to speak your tongue."

His eyes widened and then he glanced at the other side of their bench. "If your Mistress permits."

She said, "Oh!" again. "I keep forgetting how this works. Perhaps we'll talk once we get to land again."

"Yah."

The ship bounced as they hit the current and the land began to slide backwards, but this was expected. Eriana closed an eye and then held up a forefinger, using it to estimate the distance from the far bank.

"A way to go yet, I deem." She glanced up at Tor. "I was told to keep a finger's length away from the Smordan bank since the river is very shallow at the bend."

"Aye, Captain, but we do not have the draft most of these others have."

"But you said yourself that we are lower in the water now."

Tor nodded. "Agreed, Captain. It will take us some days to become used to new handling of ship."

"We'll keep our distance, I think. Maybe another day we can find out how close we can go but not now."

The calm water on the Smordan side was immediately detectable. As soon as they had cleared the current Lars called the rowers to stop and pull in the oars. Everybody leaned back and relaxed as the sail alone pulled them along.

As Maralin scrambled forward to extract his telescope from his pack, Eriana shaded her eyes and looked at the many other craft traveling the waters. She could see maybe ten or twelve, those going downstream taking advantage of the current while those heading upstream were making the same course adjustments as the Visund was doing. She saw that they were overtaking a much larger barge, its tall triangular sail bellied in the morning breeze.

«Tor? Which side?»

«Captain, Port Office of Joth said we could pass either side, but if we go sword-side then we would take the wind from the other's sails.»

Eriana nodded. «I understand. We will be polite to others on the river, then. Pass to their shield side.»

Tor grinned at Eriana. «You have become decadent among these effete northerners! Polite indeed!»

She grinned back. «Mind your manners, peasant scum! We are in strange waters, we must abide their customs.»

He shrugged. «That we will do, Highness. So long as the ale is drinkable.»

Her laughter was echoed by those sitting closest to the stern.

The other craft crept closer as the Visund slowly overtook it, Tor keeping a clear distance to their left while also keeping an eye on the downstream current creeping closer on his left. As they passed they were close enough for a hail from the other craft.

"Ho, the ship! Strange craft. Where are you from?"

Eriana climbed onto the poop and called back. "From a land far beyond Plif, though we name Palarand our home now." She gestured at the green and purple pennant flying from the top of the mast.

"What land is that? There is only the Shan Ocean out there."

"Aye, and we sailed from the south many days, perhaps fifteen, to make land in Plif."

"So far?" The barge's captain or maybe owner gestured at the Visund's sail. "Different sail rig, I see. How much cargo can you carry?"

"Not as much as yours does." They were beginning to draw ahead now. "You going to Forguland?"

"Aye." The man had to shout. "See you there?"

"Aye."

«I can read his mind,» Tor commented as the barge fell behind. «He sees our sail, and how swift we travel, and wonders if it would benefit him to have one the same.»

«Maybe. Most vessels we have seen on this river use his kind of sail, don't they? Maybe there is a good reason for it, but maybe we can teach them something new. Perhaps when we think about the new ships we can consider other sail plans.»

«Looking at that barge, his draft must be double ours,» Tor decided. «Whether a sail like ours would pull that tub through the waters any faster, I doubt.»

Eriana shrugged. «I am no builder of ships, Tor, and neither are you. The Sirrel is not the open sea and conditions are completely different. Let those who know their craft decide what sails they would use.»

Maralin returned then clutching his telescope. "Interesting barge. I wonder if that sail is any better?"

Eriana looked at Tor before replying. "We have not the art, Maralin, to answer your question. Mayhap we will learn much in the years to come."

"As you say." Maralin put the scope to his eye and scanned the distant bank of Smordan. "We'll reach the bend shortly."

"Indeed," agreed Eriana. "Tor, we must needs cross the current once more as soon as we are clear of the bend."

"Aye, Captain."

The Visund sailed on, the men relaxing and speaking in low voices. After the curve to the right the river opened out again and shortly Eriana called for them to row the ship back towards the Joth shore. They would stay on this side until they rounded the next bend, to the left, before crossing once more before yet another bend to the right.

Maralin stood at the stern studying the charts, which were spread out on the edge of the poop deck. Eriana looked over his shoulder, although she kept an occasional eye on their progress.

"This river weaves all over the place," he remarked. "I have studied His Grace's maps, of course, during the war, but none have this level of detail on the river itself."

"Aye," Eriana agreed. "On the open ocean choosing a course is much simpler, one must needs find a suitable headland, hill or other mark and then sail with it in a certain position. Keeping in mind the weather and tides, of course. Here, we must keep our wits about us as all changes with every moment. Although the land is flat there is too much growth to see very far." She pulled a face. "As someone used to always having a horizon in view the river is uncomfortable, I find."

"You like to have a lot of sky and sea around you, then. I can understand that."

"As you say. It is not a problem. I am making this journey to learn and if I have to do things I find uncomfortable then I will do them. I need to understand this river, Maralin, to understand the people who use it."

She leaned over the map and tapped a finger. "Prell told us that the river eats away on the outsides of the bends and retreats from the insides. Look here, two bends approach below Smordan. What will happen when they meet, do you think? Shall part of Smordan become an island? Who then would own it?"

"Ah," Maralin nodded. "Now I do know about that, since His Grace and the Andrate talked about it when we were in Palarand. Firstly, it might be ten years or a hundred before those two bends join, so it is not an urgent matter - yet. If the southern part does become separated, it is possible that it could eventually join either with Joth or with Virgulend. There have been treaties made with either side to the effect that, if that should happen, then the existing river courses will be honored as land borders. Effectively, Smordan will become like Palarand with part on one side of the river and part on the other.

"On the other hand," he added, "it is possible that it will end up like Joth and just stay an island for a long while. The Sirrel current which goes around the west and south part of Joth is very strong so that is what His Grace thinks is most likely. It has happened before, I was told."

Eriana nodded. "I see. As I mentioned before, I am unused to a land where the land itself moves around all the time. I want my beaches to stay where the Gods put them!"

"I could not agree more, Captain."

The Visund rounded the next bend into the stretch which contained Thorn and Hirdam. The crossing would be complicated by the ferries crossing the river at right angles to the normal traffic flow. They were now traveling almost westwards which meant that the sail was set nearly square to the ship. It still provided a significant amount of thrust and Eriana narrowed her gaze at it.

«Tor, do you think we can manage to cross without rowing? There is a lot of traffic here and it would be less complicated.»

«On this heading? I do, Captain. It will be one less thing to think about, although these ferries must be used to weaving through all the river traffic.»

She thought. «I will still ask the men to be ready in case of trouble. I do not want to ram a ferry by accident because we misread their course.»

She rattled off instructions to the men who straightened and looked around them. She then sent one of those on the nearest bench up to the bow to update the lookouts on what might be happening in the near future.

As they approached it was apparent that one of the double-hulled ferries had just set off from Thorn, going eastbound towards Hirdam. A word to Tor and he gently adjusted the course so that the Visund would pass behind it as it headed for the current and the shortest route across. Ahead was another barge which the ferry had angled to avoid. This suddenly swung left and both Eriana and Tor leaned right to see why.

"Someone heads downstream, Captain."

"Aye. This is a busy river, I deem. Watch that ferry."

The ferry, seeing the oncoming ship bearing down on it, suddenly lifted oars and swung left, ending directly in the path of the Visund.

"Tor!"

"I have it, Captain."

He leaned on the steering oar and the ship heeled sharply left, making some loose objects tumble about inside the hull. The sail, now properly square to the wind, filled and their speed doubled. Eriana cursed but men were already at the lines, pulling the sail round and slackening the rate of progress. Still, the hulls of the ferry began to loom large and directly ahead of the fast approaching Visund.

Tor leaned some more and their bow began to point towards the shallows on the Joth side. The downstream vessel, carried by both current and sail, raced past to their right. The ferry took the chance to order oars back in the water, the bows beginning to turn right to attempt the crossing before the next downstream craft came along, but way was briefly lost and the stern of the nearest hull rapidly approached.

«Men! Oars out! Prepare to row reverse!» As the men pushed their oars out through the hull holes and into the river, she added, «Ready... Push! Push! Push!»

Maralin, Lars and Tor watched the twin hulls slide past perhaps a dozen strides away as they rounded the sterns. Maralin thought to glance over the left side to see if the bottom was visible but the water was so murky there was never a chance.

Eriana waited until she was sure the danger was past before she ordered the rowers to stop. The oars were lifted from the water but left out, ready.

"Captain, now would be a good moment to cross, before that double-masted ship reaches us."

The approaching vessel could not be called a barge, it was too large and shapely for that, and Eriana wondered what it was doing so far upriver. The fact that it had two masts under sail made her wonder if it was moving even faster than the barge that had just passed.

"Wait, Tor, until it has gone past. I distrust my own eyes, I could not say how large it is nor how far away nor at what speed."

"Aye, Captain. We are not used to so many craft of all shapes and sizes passing all the time."

The ship turned out to be as large as the Visund, though size was almost the only thing they had in common. Both crews examined the other vessel in the short time it took for them to pass.

"What do you think, Maralin? Have you seen aught like that before?"

He knew that Eriana was asking about his Earthly experiences. "I have seen pictures of ships like that, Captain, or something similar. On Earth we might call that a schooner, I think, although you must know that I have very little familiarity with boats or ships."

"Indeed. Would such a vessel as that travel upon the ocean?"

"Aye, Captain, more so than on a river. I'm guessing that one came from somewhere beyond Vardenale or somewhere like that. It isn't a design I would consider for regular river use."

"As you say. Tor? Let us cross now, while there is a gap."

More orders were issued and the course and sail reset. Although the oars were ready they were not necessary as the breeze carried the Visund across the current and into the slack on the Smordan side.

"Captain! Look."

On the upstream side of the Hirdam ferry slipway were other slips, most lined with tall scaffold poles. On several of these were craft of various shapes and sizes being either constructed or repaired. Eriana, Maralin and Lars trained their telescopes on the shipyards as the Visund passed by.

"They have goodly supplies of that which was ever in demand in Einnland - wood," Eriana commented. "When we build our ships and boats, Tor, we will have no need to hunt for scraps along the shore. Over there I see good, long lengths of seasoned timber ready and waiting for the shipbuilder's adze." She nodded thoughtfully. "If we have time when we return this way I will make a visit to that yard, I deem."

Towards the bow Brodgar had eased himself down on the seat in the gap between Ursula and Tyra.

His question was for Tyra. "You know of boats and water? I see how you walk along Visund."

"My father is a fisherman," she replied. "I have been out on the river with him since I was very young."

"Those little fishing boats at dock?" There was no disdain, only an attempt to find out what she knew.

"Yes, my father owns one of those."

"Do you know ropes? Knots? Canvas? Sails?"

She looked at him doubtfully. "A little. Why do you ask?"

Brodgar twisted in his seat to face Ursula.

«Mistress, the ship does not have enough crew. For a number of reasons, some stayed with Princess Garia at Palarand. If Tyra knows craft of ship then she could be of use during voyage.»

She replied, «What about all these men?» His expression gave the answer though some nearby, overhearing the conversation, grinned. «What is it you ask of her?»

«Some times she must be maid of Mistress,» he explained, «but other times she is passenger, she just sits. If she has knowledge and would like to learn more, she could be useful as we travel.»

«I see what you mean. Raising and lowering the sail, things like that? You are not asking just to find somebody to do all the dirty jobs?»

His expression became earnest. «Mistress, never! Tyra is the youngest on the ship, she is our mascot, a good luck charm. All will look after her. We will teach her how to be a Norse sailor.» There were grunts of agreement from those sitting nearby.

Ursula considered this request then nodded. She had seen how delighted Tyra had been when they first visited the Visund, skipping along the hull as though born there.

«Very well, I will explain it to her and see what she says.» She raised a finger. «No funny business, mind, and I don't want her overworked or put in danger, understand?»

«Of course, Mistress. Sailing the Visund is easy enough, it is only when we have problems like that ferry when we need people who know what to do.»

«I understand your point. Very well.»

She spoke over Brodgar. "He wants to know if you would like, in your spare time on board, to learn more about handling a ship like this and to help the crew."

Tyra's eyes fairly glowed. "Mistress, would you let me? I am content to sit and watch, but to help..." She frowned. "Why is he asking me? Why not Bennet and Semma, or even some of these men?"

"He can see that you are interested in all that is happening, but also that you know how to handle yourself on the water. From what I understand most of the men, like Bennet and Semma, are essentially armsmen whose job is just to fight whenever required. Some of the original sailors have been left behind so they need an extra hand or two when problems arise, like that ferry."

"Ah, of course." Tyra considered. "Mistress, if it will not interfere with my duties to you, tell him I would be honored to help."

Brodgar heard. «Yah. First must agree change with Captain. She is in charge of ship and crew.»

Ursula agreed. "Then perhaps, while we are not doing anything that needs your attention, we should go and speak to her now."

He said a word to the two lookouts and then led Ursula and Tyra aft. The small area in front of the poop deck suddenly became crowded so Maralin and Lars moved forward to give everybody room.

"Ursula." Eriana looked serious. "Is there some problem?"

"Not at all, High... Captain. Brodgar here has come to me with a proposition concerning Tyra."

Eriana raised an eyebrow but turned to the sailor. He gave a rapid rundown in Norse of what he had suggested.

"An interesting thought." She nodded. "It is true that we manage with the crew we already have but as he has told you we left several behind. Anyone with knowledge of the sailor's art will make the task of the others easier. You have no problem with this, Ursula? It would only be while you are both on board and when she does not attend you."

"Actually, I'm not sure that I need much attending while we are on board," Ursula replied. "Tyra seems interested and it would be useful to you and useful to her. I have no objections."

"Then we will see how much use she may be to the Visund."

She asked Tyra, "You have been learning many different things lately. Will you be content to become a proper sailor?"

Tyra curtseyed. "Captain, if I can help as we travel, and Mistress does not object, then I would."

"You may not be asked to do much to begin with. Brodgar and some of the others will teach you what you need to know. Do you agree?"

"Captain, I do."

Eriana turned to Brodgar. «Treat her gently. The Visund is not a fishing boat. Teach her what she must know but if her Mistress calls, she must attend.» She added, «Oh, and keep your hands to yourself or you will answer to me.»

«As you command, Captain.»

Ursula picked her way forward with Tyra and Brodgar following. Just aft of the mast, Lars and Maralin were deep in discussion about something. They paid little attention to the group as they edged past. When they reached the two armswomen Ursula made to sit down but Brodgar spoke to Tyra.

"If Mistress permits, can begin now."

Ursula turned as she sat and nodded. "I am comfortable here, Tyra. Go on, find out how much you already know," she smiled, "or don't know."

"Thank you, Mistress."

Tyra avoided making a curtsey, just nodding an acknowledgment to Ursula before following Brodgar to the bow. Bennet glanced at Semma with amusement and then addressed Ursula. "Mistress, think you that Tyra has an admirer?"

"I do not know," she replied candidly. "I am assuming that there are a whole list of rules surrounding courtship?"

Bennet chuckled. "Aye, Mistress, and they can be complicated enough, but these fine men are from another land. If they have rules then we do not know them."

Semma asked, "What about Danisa and Heldra? Surely they would have found out how such things are done in Einnland."

Bennet shook her head. "It is strange, but I did not think to ask Danisa of such matters when she briefed us on this journey and she offered no advice. Heldra... well, Heldra was with child soon enough, so I deem she did not concern herself greatly with rules. Ladies, I deem that we must needs keep our wits about us in future - and, Mistress, that will include your maid."

Ursula thought. Four women - for no-one would dare approach Eriana - and around twenty-five men close together on a ship for possibly weeks to come. What could possibly go wrong? With a start she realized that she had forgotten to ask Senia about birth control measures before the ship departed.

Something I will have to discuss tonight when we four... five... are together in our guest quarters. I'm supposed to be looking after the physical health of everybody on board and I know nothing about how birth control is managed here!

...If it is at all...

...And if is is not, then we will have a serious problem.

As she sighed internally Maralin joined them.

"You look as though you have a problem," he remarked to her. "Not regretting letting Tyra learn the ropes, then?"

She shook her head. "Not exactly. I am concerned that it might turn out to be more than a professional interest, if you understand me."

His eyebrows went up and then he grinned. "An inevitable consequence of having men and women crammed together like this, I would say. Do you object?"

"Maybe. It depends on the end result. What do you know about local birth control practices?"

"Ouch!" His expression became serious. "I understand, now. To answer your question, nothing. I do know that they have something to prevent births but whether that is herbal, something physical like a condom or merely keeping a stout iron grille between the parties I do not know."

But as he said it, the word condom came out in English so they both knew that such things did not exist in this part of Anmar.

"I intended to ask Senia about such practices before we left but things became rushed so -" she shrugged. "Doubtless we will find out what we need to know, but I just hope it is before anything happens that cannot be undone."

"As you say."

Maralin had his telescope in his hand and now raised it to look ahead. Ursula twisted to see what had caught his interest, but saw nothing obvious.

"What is it?"

"Nothing, really. I'm just looking at the wall of the Great Valley, dead ahead."

She twisted right round to see the cliff dead ahead.

"That can't be right? Where does the river go?"

He grinned without taking the telescope from his eye. "That is one of the fun things I have learned about the great river Sirrel. We are in a Rift Valley, do you know what that is?"

She shook her head. The others turned to listen to the explanation.

"It seems Garia had covered the subject in school before she came," he explained. "Imagine that there are a number of parallel faults across the ground, for whatever reason. Then, the land begins to draw apart, but instead of sagging in the middle, the faults cause a section of land between them to drop. Follow me so far?"

"I think I see. So you get a trough, or trench, between two of the faults."

He nodded. "That's right. Then, over the geological ages, a river gets trapped between and is forced to flow from one end to the other. As it does so it begins filling the rift up with silt and then to start meandering about."

"Ah, I see. So those cliffs are the sides of the fault? Does anyone know how deep this rift was originally?"

He lowered the telescope and shook his head. "Aye, the cliffs are the boundaries but no, nobody knows how deep it might go. Since there are no ores within the valley and since it floods every year, making mining difficult, no-one has bothered to explore below." He thought. "Once we can get started with some basic investigation tools then we may learn more, but that probably won't be for many years yet."

"I see. But you haven't answered my original question, where does the river go?"

"The walls which form the cliffs either side are made of very hard rock, although I am told there are gaps here and there. The river can't erode them very much. Ahead, our course will turn sharp left to flow directly under that cliff and then, so the Captain informs me, our lunch stop will appear shortly afterwards."

"Thank you, Maralin. Even I could understand that explanation... though of course it raises more questions."

He gave her another grin. "You do realize that you are probably better educated than I was? All I was interested in was following the family trade and becoming a good chef. Geography and geology didn't interest me at all, not until I came to Anmar."

* * *

Taking care to avoid the shallows on the inside of the turn, the Visund heeled over sharply at the wall turn to follow the river in the shadow of the cliffs. With the wind behind them, it was a very short time before Tor leaned on the steering oar and turned them in towards their lunch stop. This caused considerable unexpected activity, startling Ursula.

Around her, all the crew who had stripped to the waist just after they had set off were now using cloths to towel themselves dry of sweat before donning their tee shirts once more. Following this, many used fingers or combs to ensure that their hairs and beards looked tidy. Most asked those nearby to ensure that their own appearance met some unmentioned standard; Maralin had told her how many of them had arrived in Palarand unkempt and unwashed, and how their general standards of attire had changed completely since then.

She glanced around. Every single person on board, with the exception of Maralin who was wearing nondescript traveler's wear, now wore light clothing of the same material and color that could almost be described as a uniform. She wondered if this was deliberate or accidental.

As they approached the inevitable lines of pontoons Ursula saw Tyra helping to gather the sail and bundle it up along the lowered yard. The men, meanwhile, had pushed out the oars and were preparing to row the last hundred or so strides to their berth.

A uniformed man on the end of one of the pontoons was waving, guiding them to a particular spot on his line of pontoons. They followed his gestures and were soon made fast among the many other craft also pausing there for lunch. As the crew made themselves ready to disembark, an officer in Joth blue and white hurried to meet them, staring in confusion at the identically dressed crowd.

"If I may ask, where may I find the Captain or owner of this ship?"

Many fingers pointed in Eriana's direction. The man nodded a thank you and then strode to meet her as she stepped onto the pontoon. He saluted.

"Your Highness, I am Captain Maykan of the Thorn Regiment. His Grace directed me to meet you here with twenty men to make sure that your journey is not interrupted for any reason."

Eriana eyed him. "Well, Captain Maykan, while I am in command of the Visund I am simply known as Captain. You will find no Highness here."

"My apologies, Captain! Your status, while undeniable, was not made clear to me. If I may ask, I have not seen that rank mark before. Is it something new from Palarand?"

"Oh, these?" She tapped an epaulet and then smiled. "Yes and no, Captain. This is intended to be a Naval rank indicating a ship's Captain but the stripes were added to my dress by mistake by the seamstresses in Joth who made our dresses."

Maykan looked confused. "Naval, High... er, Captain? If I may ask, what is that?"

"Captain, we have just sailed all morning from Joth. You will excuse us if we have more pressing matters to attend to. Where is your hostel? We can exchange news later."

"Forgive me, Captain! If you would all follow me. At this time of year it will be a short walk, of course. I am instructed by His Grace to post a strong guard about your ship and the pontoons, that none may interfere with your ship or its contents. You may leave all to me."

Eriana gave him a stare and then nodded. "As you desire. Normally I would leave one or two of the crew aboard but if you will vouch for your men? Very well."

She let out a stream of Norse and the men began walking along the pontoon. On the beach at the end Lars made everyone wait until Eriana and Maykan arrived and led them along the wide path to the hostel.

"If I may introduce Lars, he is my second and is accounted Commander. Here also is Tor son of Magnus, who is Master of the Visund."

Maykan nodded to both as they walked along. He stared at her dress, then looked around noting tee-shirts and cargo shorts on the men and the ship dresses the five women were wearing.

"I was not expecting... Your pardon, Captain, I did not expect a military vessel. I was led to believe that you were attended by your retainers."

Eriana give a brief chuckle. "It seems that way, does it not? Aye, all but one of these men are sworn to me." She hesitated before adding, "You may know us as the Einnland Regiment."

"The Einnland Regiment? Maker! I had not connected the name before... Highness, Captain, forgive me. All Joth owes you much as you must know."

"We do, having spent a month in the city as guests of His Grace. These days our allegiance has changed, we are for now the Norse Regiment of Palarand, though that may change again later this year."

Maykan frowned. "Yet some of your party are women. Is this proper?"

"Our women, that is a different matter. Two are armswomen of His Majesty, acting as my attendants for the voyage, another is a healer and the fourth her maid."

"Armswomen! Ah, as you say. Yet you are all attired alike, man and woman."

"Captain, you see before you the latest fashions, if I may use that word, direct from the city. By chance, our attire is all made from the same summer-weight cloth."

"As I see!" Maykan was wearing the standard uniform of tunic and tights and looked uncomfortable in it. "Are these designs available to all? With His Grace's permission?"

"Indeed, Captain, and if I may ask you to send to Captain Hambran at the Mansion he will explain all."

Maykan twisted and inspected the column behind them. "You mentioned a strange word before. Are these uniforms to do with that?"

Eriana replied, "The Navy is a new idea of the Sirrel Federation. Have you yet heard of that?"

"Captain, I have heard rumors but that is all. I would welcome an explanation if you have time for it."

"Over lunch, Captain. Briefly, as your soldiers, warriors and armsmen fight on land, we are to be available to fight on the Sirrel, and beyond the Sirrel on the ocean, should the need arise."

"Ah! Captain, your words have made sense of some strange tales we have recently heard. It is true, then? Many have wondered if this Federation was aught but words bandied about by our betters."

"Captain, I attended many of those meetings myself and I can assure you that the benefits which will come have already begun to reach Joth. I regret that our stay here will not be long enough to give you greater explanation." She smiled at Maykan. "Actually, I do not understand much of what is going on myself. I am but a simple ship's captain who happens to be the daughter of a King."

Maralin, walking behind, snorted. "Captain, if you believe that you will believe anything."

Maykan half turned. "You are?"

"My apologies, sir. I am Tenant Maralin, originally of Shicargo but now a special advisor to His Grace. I am taking advantage of the Visund to deliver some important Federation messages to Forguland and Ferenis for His Grace."

Maykan's eyebrows rose and stayed there. "An unusual circumstance, I deem. I assume you will return to Joth?"

"Aye, sir, of course."

"Then if I may ask... would it be possible for me to learn more of these new matters? You must understand that the rumors are very strange. They involve Princesses from nowhere, roads of iron, clocks powered by lightning, invisible glass and many other unlikely tales."

"Hmm." Maralin smiled at Maykan. "The news has become garbled, hasn't it? Captain, almost everything you have mentioned is true, in its own way. After all, you are walking next to one of those Princesses right now. Princess Eriana does not come from nowhere, actually, but from a land beyond the end of the Great Valley, south of the Palumaks, called Einnland. That is the reason her regiment was named so. The other Princess..." He paused, trying and failing to think of a reasonable explanation, "...comes from somewhere else entirely. She is the one who has just married Prince Keren in Palarand."

"I have heard of the marriage, aye... and I remember you now! You came to Thorn when the invader was in Joth, is that not so? I remember you from a meeting where we planned the assault."

"As you say, sir." Maralin thought. "You are based in Thorn, sir? If there is time, I will visit you there when I return from my delivery task."

Maykan nodded. "If you would, Tenant. It seems that I have much to learn."

"Captain, you have no idea."

They had reached the lunch site and attendants came forward to direct them to a separate shelter sized to accommodate the whole crew. Most of the travelers immediately made for the bathing and toilet block. When they emerged, food was ready and places for the customary nap were waiting to receive the travelers once they had eaten.

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enjoyable continuation

Thank you.

The Appendices are all updated too.

Joolz

Thank you!

Julia

Thank you for not only keeping the Appendices correct but for your own Blackstone adventures with Julina. I wonder? Has the sun come out yet?

LoVe your stories.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Julina

Well, my understanding has been that Julia's scribbles have to be delayed to ensure there is no spoiling surprises from Penny's writing so Julina is in suspension until some synchronization bottleneck is resolved, unfortunately for us.

But here's hoping we can get 20 Julina chapters at once considering how long it's been ^_^

Grrrrr

Not twenty! Too many hooks into other tales. And when we write, then we need to read so much more to get the continuation right.
For instance, at the moment Julina is stuck in Palarand City in the rains. She is reacting with someone who was on the Visund for a while in that upriver voyage ...
AND ...
she is reacting with Milsy and Milsy-influenced things.
When travel permits, she will be going home to Blackstone. But will she be going directly there?

Meanwhile, here on Earth, I am reacting with both Penny and Di, tightening up maps and rejuggling the Index and all sorts. There is one hell of a lot of stuff going on in the background which will be revealed in due time.

Cheers to all,

Joolz

technically

the Great Lakes can properly be considered freshwater seas, with only one of them being small enough to be considered more of a lake.

Rift Valleys

joannebarbarella's picture

The only one of significance on Earth is the African one which encompasses Africa's North East and Asia's western margin. The Nile originates in that valley, which passes through the Red Sea and it continues to the Dead Sea and beyond.

That puts the Sirrel into perspective. It's one mighty river.

It also means they have

It also means they have access to geothermal, being closer to the mantle

So much going on!

One thing that becomes apparent about the Great Valley is that travel is so agonizingly slow that the flood of knowledge that Garia started in Palarand is barely a trickle anywhere else - except maybe Blackstone.

Penny, I love this world you have created and fleshed out with your stories. I have read everything you written several times, and still enjoy the story and adventure.

Thank you so much!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Naval vessels and lots of trial, error and research

BarbieLee's picture

Of course she will have others helping but as head of the Naval Forces she will have many different kinds of vessels (ships) under her command. Shallow draft, maybe flat bottomed, for the shoals, sandbars, and such. Deep keel with lots of rocks in the bottom for stability in rough seas and open ocean. Eriana has mellowed a lot away from her father. I can understand if she had to be a true bitch for survival. Now she's blossoming into a woman of compassion and understanding.
She's growing up. A nice touch with your story telling, Penny
Hugs Miss Lane
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

naval vessels

Monitors will probably work for the river fleet, though initially that fleet will already be provided for, between the ships of federation member states and captured Yodan vessels, The ocean command however has to start mostly from scratch, might be a good place to introduce the screw propeller as they wouldn't be operating around where tow barges would be, so there's less tangle risk, but they will need the engines to get more efficient, use condensers and forced and/or induced draft, not to mention the ships to keep them supplied

yea!!!

New chapter!! Love this Universe!

alissa