The Voyage of the Visund -42-

Printer-friendly version

The Visund finally manages to depart from Ferenis and travels upstream with an additional crew member... who shows further signs of abuse at his father's hands. There is confusion when they arrive at their next port of call, as the locals have decided to make some big changes.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

42 - Free Town


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



It was obviously not possible for any explanations to be given amongst the bustle and attention required for departure, so Eriana waited until the Visund was mid-stream with her sail fully unfurled and carrying them along at a brisk rate. Since the sail was side-on most of her crew could see her, standing on the stern deck with Kaldar by her side, and the others moved across to be certain they were in view.

"Men!" she called, although it was almost unnecessary, "you will have noticed that a new crew member has joined us today at Ferenis." Some eyes were rolled. "She... he was fleeing from a father who beat him because he was not what that man expected. This is Kaldar, he will become our wick-trimmer. He presently has the body of a girl but has always thought that he was a boy. His father disagreed with that and beat his child to force him to accept his body's truth.

"Since Duke Gathol seemed reluctant to protect this young person, and because Ursula has said that she may be able to help him, I have agreed to take him with us as my charge. Indeed, it was necessary for me to adopt... him... to ensure that his father may not get his hands on him ever again.

"You will understand that aboard ship this may cause problems of an unusual nature. Though but a boy he may not be treated entirely as another boy might. He has that above and that below which every woman has. Yet he desires to learn how he might one day become a man like you." She paused. "Well, most of you."

There was laughter. She continued, "Ursula says that there are herbs which may reduce his breasts, harden his muscles and cause hair to grow on his face and body. Of course, until today we have had no need for such herbs so she does not have any. Such may be found beyond Yod, so it seems. You will all understand that, even if we can find such herbs and they are suitable, any change to Kaldar's body will happen slowly.

"Thus, in many respects, he must be treated as you would treat a maiden." She gave them a fierce glare. "But that does not mean that any of you should seek to bed her... I mean him! You know that such people exist in Einnland but can do nothing about their bodies, seeking only to wear such clothes as they may consider appropriate. We tolerate those people, as indeed we should. In the valley of the Sirrel, however, it seems there are some who would deny their existence, even though we have one already among us."

Eriana gestured at Ursula, who bowed briefly. The Princess continued, "In other respects Kaldar shall be treated just as you would treat a young boy of our own kind. He shall learn what tasks and knowledge are required for sailing such a ship as this. Though he is young there is no reason why he should not also begin to be taught arms when opportunity provides. Remember that he is not an Einnlander and will not yet know our customs."

She switched to Norse to finish with, «Did you all understand that?»

Two hands were reluctantly raised and Eriana glared at the owners. «We have been among these people many months now! I understand that the valley tongue can be awkward but not being able to speak to someone, or to understand instructions, can be even more awkward! We must all make the effort to understand this tongue! I hated it when I was forced to learn it at home but today I am very glad that I was made to. All of you, I know that it can be hard but keep trying. It will make your lives so much easier.»

Many of the men muttered agreement and she could see that one of those who had raised a hand was being told off by his neighbor.

"Very well. Now to our journey. We will take most of the day, with a stop for lunch, to reach our next port which is around the other side of Ferenis. This is where the ferry crosses from Wabern in Ferenis to Zemmera in Yod. We will sleep in Zemmera overnight but I do not expect to spend very long there except to discover what conditions exist in that land. Maybe we will depart the next day, maybe a day later. Then it will be a short leg around Yod to the city of Yod, where I expect to be greeted by Palarandi forces who are administering part of the city."

There was an immediate buzz as the land of Yod replaced a new 'ship's boy' in their minds. Most began talking with those around them, ignoring Eriana completely. She was used to this and looked down.

"Well, Kaldar," she asked the slim figure next to her, "what shall we do with you now? As you may see, when we have the sail up the ship can look after itself." She grinned. "Mostly." She pointed into the distance. "You know of the twists and turns of the river?"

"High-" Kaldar gulped. "Captain, I do not. My father did not think that we should be interested in such matters, thinking that only lowly bargemen need know." He added in a low voice, "And certainly that no girl or woman would have need."

Eriana snarled silently. "The more I hear of that man, the more I dislike him. Ah, I have an idea. Jump you down to the hull, I will follow. Hashim? If you would join us with your charts."

As they dropped down in front of the decking the pilot approached and put down the bag he carried.

"Captain? You desire to know what next we face?"

"I do, Hashim, and at the same time we may begin educating our newest crew member here. He has no knowledge of the Sirrel at all, since his father deemed such idle knowledge unnecessary. First, I know that our present course is good enough for now, is there anything that may surprise us before we next turn?"

"There is not, Captain, but beyond the turn there is a nasty kink which means that you may need to cross the current and cross back. It is no problem going downstream, of course, but this way..." he shrugged. "The valley wall is close there and there are unexpected shifts of wind, so it will be advisable to keep our wits about us."

"Do you tell me? I will bear that in mind when the time comes. If you would find the chart of our present position. Is it up to date?"

"Aye, Captain, the various armies have used this part of the route to send troops and supplies once the initial invasion had succeeded so it is well enough known. Ah, here it is."

He unrolled the chart and spread it, as before, on the edge of the stern deck, from where they could all see it comfortably.

His finger touched a spot. "We are about here, Captain." He looked up, ahead, judging. "We are far enough away from the right bank, I deem, to avoid the shallows at the bend. Once we are around the bend you must needs consider whether a crossing will be required."

She frowned. "But we will drift back if we cross, back into the bend."

"There is plenty of room there, Captain. I have done this many times, there is no problem."

"And if we do not cross?"

"Then we must needs hug the right bank, Captain. Your steersman has told me you have done this on a previous leg."

"That is so." Eriana nodded. "We will see. Thank you, Hashim."

Kaldar stood on tiptoe and looked at the chart. It was the first time he had ever seen anything resembling a map.

"That is the river?" He traced the course with a finger. "Why does it wander so?"

"I understand the explanation but I do not know why," Eriana told him. "Ursula will know, perhaps you can ask her later."

A finger tapped on a thick wavy line. "What is this? The river keeps away from it."

"That is called the wall of the Great Valley, a cliff face of rock that keeps the Sirrel from straying elsewhere. Look!"

She pointed past the sail at the rock face which was slowly growing larger in front of the Visund.

"In the valley of the Sirrel I am told that folk name this simply the Wall," she explained. "If you look behind you may glimpse the other wall, but be careful you do not look directly into the sun. It will damage your eyes."

Kaldar looked in both directions. "Two walls? But why..?"

Eriana was partly amused but had become distracted by their progress. "Child, if you keep asking questions it is possible that we may miss something of importance. Sailing a ship such as this one requires us to keep a close watch on everything around us as danger may threaten from anywhere. It seems that your education has ignored much of the world you live in. Whether you are boy or girl you should have been told some of these things! Here on board I think that only Ursula may answer all your questions. If you should ask her, or mayhap wait until we have arrived at our next stop?"

The boy was downcast. "Captain, I am sorry for asking too many questions."

"Do not apologize, Kaldar! You will never learn anything if you do not ask questions." She gave a knowing smile. "I did not know to ask questions until I came to Palarand, and then I discovered how ignorant I was. Why -" She stopped and looked forward. "This is not the time for such tales, though. We approach the bend, I must needs concentrate. If you would go forward and sit with Ursula. The ladies of the Visund have a little more leisure than the men do, you may ask them questions instead."

Kaldar bowed. "As you wish, Captain."

By the time he had made his way forward to find a bench near the women he was angry and upset.

"What is the matter, Kaldar?" asked Ursula. "Have you been told off for doing or saying something?"

"She sent me - The Captain sent me here to keep out of her way. Is she always like this?"

Bennet leaned over. "Sometimes she is worse, young one. She is the daughter of a King, it is true, and by what we have heard her father is much as your father is, except that he does not lock up those who displease him but runs them through directly with his sword. When Her Highness first came to Palarand's palace she was a wild creature, angry and lost at the same time. Some of that has been tempered by Princess Garia, I deem, and she has learned much since she came to us."

Ursula asked Kaldar, "Do you know anything at all about life on the river?"

"No, Mistress."

"Since the water moves all the time any boat or ship has to be carefully controlled. It is not like a wagon or carriage, which you can leave anywhere, if you tried that with a boat it would just float away. Parts of this river can be dangerous, too, which means that everyone has one eye on the water, the shore or on any other boat that might come too close."

"Dangerous? How?"

"A collision is the most obvious danger. If we go too close to the bank we could become grounded and even lose the ship. I heard talk in Ferenis of pirates further upriver. Before we reached Forguland we were even attacked by a big fish, a gogon, which caused some damage and many injuries."

"A... gogon? I thought they were just stories!"

Semma said, "We do not know how long that one was, it all happened so quickly, but it may have been ten or fifteen strides, I could not say. It bit off five oars and pulled the whole ship bodily around a quarter of a turn."

Kaldar stood and looked the length of the ship, then thoughtfully studied the oars stacked ready along the center line.

He returned to his seat. "If you say it is so, Mistress, then I must believe it."

Semma smiled at him. "I am Semma, a guardswoman of the King, and she is Bennet. You may name us thus, we are not Mistresses. We attend Her Highness as companions, both as escorts and for feminine matters."

He reddened. "I understand, though I wish I did not. If you did not hear, I name myself Kaldar, though not by my father's desires." He turned to Ursula. "But you have an unusual name, Mistress, and I heard you say that you were once a man. How can this be?"

The three women exchanged glances. "Kaldar," Ursula told him, "my story is long and complicated. It must wait until we have time and privacy. I will tell you that I am the same as you, but the other way around, that I always knew that I was a girl inside while my body was that of a boy."

Kaldar opened his mouth but she held up a hand. "I regret that the method by which I came by the body I now have cannot be used by you. If we can do anything at all then we will have to use what is available here in the Great Valley."

He looked confused for a few moments. "Mistress, what you say does not make sense. Surely, the Great Valley is all there is?"

Ursula sighed. "Kaldar, your father has been criminally negligent. The world is very much greater than just this river valley and there are other worlds beside this one, possibly very many more. Did you think the Sun and the moons are inside the Great Valley, or somewhere else entirely?"

Kaldar automatically turned to look at the Sun and rapidly turned away again, squinting and blinking. He replied, "Mistress, they are above, as they should be. Of course they are not inside the Great Valley."

Now is this a result of his father's rejection of a transgender child or is this the way that he treated all his daughters? Maybe his sons too?

"Are your sisters taught the same as you? What about your brothers?"

"Mistress, I was taught no different than any of my brothers and sisters... that I know of. I suppose my brothers may have been taught more as my father would have wanted them to join the family business, but if that happened, I do not know of it."

"I see." Changing subject, she asked, "Those clothes you are wearing. Where did you get them?"

"I borrowed them from my brother Sednith this morning, just before I escaped from the mansion. Why?"

Ursula smiled. "Since you will be unable to return Sednith's things," she explained gently, "I think the word you should be using is not borrowed but stole." Kaldar blushed. "I would not worry, no doubt your father has already passed down all your female clothing or sold it. But you will have noticed that all of us, men and women, wear lighter clothing. This journey we are on will take many weeks and it will be hot when summer comes. Apart from what you wear, you have nothing."

The boy thought about this and came to an unpleasant conclusion. "You are saying that I need to get some more attire. Must I needs work to pay for it?"

The expression on his face moved Ursula but she controlled her own. She had had many opportunities to do so in her previous life.

"Normally I would tell you that you would but this is an unusual ship in many ways, Kaldar. The Visund is owned by Her Highness Princess Eriana and almost every man of the crew is sworn personally to her." His eyes widened as she added, "Although she was born elsewhere she is now a Princess of Palarand and that country supplies the funding for this expedition. Every scrap of clothing you see around you has been provided out of those funds. I assume that Eriana will find you suitable clothing as well."

Kaldar glanced at the women's attire and then looked more carefully at what the men were wearing. Some of those sitting near, who had listened to the conversation, smiled at him.

"I have never seen attire like that before," he said. "Not yours nor what the men wear. Is it some kind of uniform?"

"It is not supposed to be but there was a misunderstanding when we told the seamstresses what we wanted. In time it might become a uniform."

He gestured. "And your... dresses? They looks very cool compared with what I was made to wear."

"That was why we asked for them. The weather will become too hot aboard ship for normal day dresses, so I was told."

"Are all these designs from Palarand, then?"

The women all grinned. "No, indeed, Kaldar!" Bennet replied. "But that again is a long story and it will have to wait until you have been told all. But you have no desire to wear such a dress, I deem."

He was near to tears now. "I did not know that such attire was even possible, Bennet! I begin to understand now just how my father treated us."

Ursula said, "We will think of something, Kaldar. You are Eriana's responsibility now and she will take that seriously. Your father no longer has anything to do with you."

She sat and thought for a while as the Visund approached the bend in the river. Once the turn had been completed, she waited until Eriana and Hashim had worked out what they were going to do and then went aft to join them.

"Captain, I must talk about a subject I do not know much about, not here on Anmar. Have you the time now?"

Eriana glanced forward, then up at Tor, who nodded confidently back. "Of course, Ursula, but if something arises..."

"I understand that, Captain. I have been speaking with Kaldar."

"I noticed. What have you discovered?"

"Simple things first, I think. He will need a suit of clothes just as you had made for Hashim. His possessions are literally what he has on his back, and those he, ah, borrowed, he says, from a brother this morning when he ran away."

Eriana smiled at the phrasing. "Aye, I had already considered that. We have some of the cloth left and between us I think we may sew him something fit to wear, do you not agree?"

"Underwear as well?"

"Aye, of course." The smile faded. "But you hint at something worse. Do you speak of these herbs that you mentioned?"

"No, Captain. I can talk to healers at each port we arrive at and find out how and where I can get what I will need. No, the problem will be Kaldar's education. Essentially, he has none. And I mean none. He thought the Great Valley was the whole world. It seems that his father kept his children, boys as well as girls, in complete ignorance of the outside world."

"Tsss! That is bad. What do you suggest, Ursula? That he may not belong on the Visund?"

"Captain," Ursula replied slowly, "I do not want to appear to insult anyone but I am aware that most of your men are not well educated. I am not even sure about your own education."

Eriana stared at Ursula and then nodded, chuckling. "Aye, you are a blunt speaker, Ursula, but to me means that you speak plainly. I would trust your words over those of someone who speaks in flowery circles and says nothing at the end of it. Einnland is a poor land and few have the education I see around me here along the Sirrel. As a daughter of a King I was educated but resented most of it, I am as you know a person of action rather than words.

"However, since arriving in Palarand and meeting Lady Garia, as she was then, I have appreciated what education can do for everyone. Most of my men are now learning to read and to write - the local tongue, of course, not our own runes - and even I pay more attention to what I am told these days. Is the boy lettered, do you know?"

Ursula eventually realized that Eriana was asking about reading and writing. "So he says, Captain. Reading, writing, some numbers, though the local kind, not the... Garian numbers. What he lacks is simply basic knowledge about almost everything. I do not think he is stupid, he asks enough questions! But my original point was that, apart from Lord Kalmenar, I am probably the most educated person on the ship."

"I agree, Ursula. You suggest, perhaps, that some part of your time must needs be spent tutoring the boy."

"Unless you or Lord Kalmenar can think of an alternative, Captain, I see no other choice."

"Yet your problem, I deem, is that while you are educated in matters of Earth you know little about matters of the Great Valley and the countries within it. Since we discovered you, you have learned much, but I would guess that you would not feel confident venturing forth on your own, should it be required."

"Exactly right, Captain. That is one reason I agreed to have Tyra, after all. She has local knowledge that I do not."

"Then it may be we each have to teach the boy what we know and leave other parts to those who may do better. Think you he can yet be of use to the ship?"

"I cannot answer that, Captain. He jumped on board, after all, so he must have thought that he could do whatever you asked of him. However, he might have too many thumbs, if you understand me."

Eriana waved a hand dismissively. "You do not need to know how to read or write to sail a ship, Ursula. Provided he does not fall over the side the moment we change course he should quickly learn what is needful, the same way all my other men did." She grinned. "The only way we will truly find out what he is made of is to try him, is it not? Any blacksmith will tell you that."

"You are content to let him stay, then? I was not sure."

"I am content, Ursula. Did I not give my word? Besides, if I were of a mind to abandon him - which I could never do - I would not do it within the Yodan lands, that would cause too much trouble."

"I had forgotten that. He could be used against you."

"Possibly. But that will never happen, not now I have adopted him. He shall return to Palarand with the rest of us... and by the time we reach Joth once more, Ursula, you may know your own destination."

"As you say, Captain."

* * *

"What does he say?"

"Captain," Hashim replied, his eye to a borrowed telescope, "he indicates that we should go to our right of the pontoon he stands upon. Another signaler will guide us to the correct berth."

"Thank you, Hashim."

Eriana turned around, so that she was facing aft, and blew a sequence on her whistle. Tor, at the far end, raised a hand in acknowledgement and heaved on the steering oar.

"I must needs learn these flag signals," she muttered. "Hashim, do they use the same signals throughout the Sirrel?"

"No, Captain, not in my experience. From Forguland to Faralmark they are generally used but beyond those lands the port authorities use other methods. Most who do use the flags use a common code but there can be some local differences."

She frowned. "Still, if we are to travel this stretch, and in both directions, knowing the signals may be useful, I deem. Will you teach them to me?"

"Captain, I can do better than that, if you would permit me use of a sheet or two of your paper. The signals are easy enough to describe as a diagram, and then they are always there for you to refer to - even if I am not."

"I forget," she told him. "In my homeland, all knowledge of the sea is learned and remembered. Very little is ever written down, since most cannot read anyway. Yet even one who cannot read may understand a diagram. Is that what you mean?"

"If you desire me to draw a diagram that others may use, Captain, then I am sure that I can manage that."

"Very well." Eriana considered. "But I shall not give you paper, except for you to design your pictures. Paper does not mix well with water, I have found, or rather it mixes too well. In Zemmera I will obtain some parchment for you to commit your drawings to, that they may be as reliable as those charts you carry."

"A prudent measure, Captain. Ah, look, to your left and yonder, a man waves another flag."

"I see it." She turned to face aft. «Men! Lower the yard and stow the sail! Those with oars out, help us forward, and slowly, we berth shortly to your sword side. Be ready to throw mooring ropes to the pontoon.»

Arms were raised in acknowledgement as the yard came down and was secured along the center line, the sail being tidily folded and stowed under it. Two unoccupied men went to either end and picked up the coils of mooring line, ready to throw to the pontoons when they were close enough.

«Aaaand... oars up!»

The Visund drifted gently into range and the lines were quickly caught by men on the pontoons. Once the ship was secure the ship's complement began standing, stretching and talking about what would happen next. Eriana walked aft, followed by Hashim and Lars. She stood on the stern deck and faced the men.

«Yet another new land where you can sample the ale, if you dare!»

Laughter greeted this. She continued, «But I would remind you all, this is Yod. These are the folk we fought against and killed. There are many here who may not want us in their lands and I can understand that. There are also many Allied soldiers, warriors, some of whom will see you and take your presence as a challenge. We do not need fights among those we call friends! Drink your ale, enjoy yourselves, have some fun, but be careful.

«I must needs go and speak with those officials to find out where we will all sleep tonight.» There was a certain amount of laughter. «Those of us who do not keep their brains between their legs, that is.» More laughter. «If there is no problem, I will give Lars geld for your meals and drink today. Make ready to go ashore but stay where you are for now. We can deal with our baggage later.»

She moved down to the center of the Visund and hopped lightly from there to the pontoon where two men in uniforms were waiting. Kalmenar, Lars and Tor went with her.

The older of the two men looked at them all. "Welcome to Tobeligo. Your pardon, travelers, we had notice from those of Ferenis that you would arrive today but few details. We did not realize that your ship would be so large!"

Eriana was confused. "Tobeligo! I understood this to be Zemmera! Have we made some mistake? Hashim! Join us if you would."

"Be easy, Mistress! This town was named Zemmera before but we have recently taken a vote and sundered ourselves from those of Yod, naming ourselves Tobeligo. If I may ask, which of you is the captain?"

Eriana replied, "Good man, I am the owner and captain of this ship which is named the Visund. I am Princess Eriana of Palarand and almost all the men you see are my sworn retainers. If I may present Lord Kalmenar of Palarand, he acts as my diplomatic advisor wherever we travel. Lars, commander of my personal guard. Tor, ship's master." Hashim had reached the group by then so she added, "Hashim, our pilot."

"Princess?" The man was surprised. The two bowed to her. "Uh, we did not expect... Your Highness, is this an official visit?"

She smirked. "Yes and no. I am merely taking my ship along the Sirrel to discover the different peoples that live along its banks. As such, you may name me Captain instead of Highness. When I speak with whoever rules such places that we visit, then my visit becomes official, then I will use my full title."

"A curious circumstance... As you command... Captain."

"Now. You have come to ask how long we should stay, what fees we must needs pay and so on. In return the Visund will need fresh water and some other foods and my men will require lodging for one or two nights."

"Of course, Captain. I am sure that there will be no problem -"

On the ship Kaldar turned to Ursula. "What are they doing?"

"This happens whenever we arrive somewhere," Ursula explained. "I imagine that all boats and ships which come to these ports have to pay a fee to cover the facilities the port provides. Those men will want to make sure that they don't get undesirables here who might steal goods from other boats, for example, or depart without paying their bills."

"Oh, I see. I have been down to the port with my father a time or two, this looks much the same. Do they all look like this?"

"Most do, because of the way the river rises and falls throughout the year. There are differences in some of the places we've been. Perhaps you'll get to see them when we return downstream."

"As you say. What will happen to us? Will we sleep here overnight?"

"I do not think so. At all the places I have been so far we have been invited to stay with the local lord, whoever that is. Once those men discover who Eriana is, then I expect that the same thing will happen here."

"What, everyone? Are the mansions... palaces, that big?"

Ursula chuckled. "Sometimes they have been. Other times the men have been assigned barracks instead." She thought. "I am not sure what Eriana will do with you, Kaldar. Your position is somewhat unusual."

"I know. Look, here she comes back."

Eriana, Lars and Tor jumped back on board while Kalmenar and Hashim followed the men off along the pontoons. The two Norsemen gathered their fellows into separate groups and gave instructions while Eriana went to the bow and motioned the women to join her.

"Ladies," she began, then smiled, "and Kaldar, of course. The circumstance is unusual. So recently that even Ferenis did not know, this town has broken with Yod and declared itself independent. They have changed the name from Zemmera to Tobeligo. It is now governed by no noble at all but a Committee chosen by those who live here, together with a Military Governor from Ferenis on behalf of the Allied armies.

"The Allied armies are our immediate problem, since there are many billeted in the town and space for travelers is lacking. There is a port hostel, and we will be found chambers there, but Lars and Tor must needs take the men of the Visund to billets elsewhere in the town.

"I am told the town trades freely and Palarandi coin may be accepted everywhere. We may wander the streets of the town but are advised not to go outside the walls, since the countryside beyond is ruled differently."

Eriana turned to their newest crew member. "Kaldar, for today and tomorrow I must needs ask that you play a part, though I know that you thought you had left that part of your life behind. The only accommodation that may be found for us is in the women's portion of the port hostel. You must needs share a chamber with us. Do you understand?"

His face fell. "Highness, if it must be so, then I will do it." A wan smile. "After all, I have been playing that part all my life."

"Thank you, Kaldar. I know that it will not make you happy but it will make our stay here so much easier. If we did not do this then many questions would be asked and it may cause delays and other inconveniences."

"As you say, Highness." He looked down. "What about my attire? Will they not think it strange?"

"Highness," Ursula said, "If I can offer some advice."

Eriana smiled at Ursula. "Always, Ursula. What is it?"

"Two things. First, if Kaldar comes with us, then I can give her... I'm sorry, him, a complete examination. I am certain that he has other injuries under those borrowed clothes and I want to assess his general condition. Also I remember that when we have stayed in hostels before, there are female servants who see to the bathing chambers and the bedding. If they see Kaldar part dressed or undressed they will see that he has a female body. We do not want rumors to start among the hostel staff."

"As you say! I had overlooked the hostel servants. And the other matter?"

"I should go to the market here, if they have one, and begin my search for herbs. I need to top up my existing stock anyway. It has occurred to me that if Kaldar comes with me, then there may be a stall where a suitable day dress could be obtained. That way he... she... would not stand out." Ursula smiled. "This is complicated!"

"Indeed! But how will you explain his present attire or his short hair?"

"I will think of something, Highness. I have had to make up many stories as I traveled across Earth." She added, "I have had to disguise myself both as man or woman at different times on my wanderings. For our kind, sometimes it is required."

Kaldar stared at Ursula, fascinated.

Eriana nodded, saying, "Very well. First, I suggest, we go and find the hostel and discover what we will be faced with. Tomorrow morning, you, Ursula, together with Tyra, of course, and you, Kaldar, shall go to the market and obtain whatever you may need. I will send Bennet with you, if I may. Two women and a boy, in a town full of armed troops, there could be trouble - of several kinds."

"Agreed, Highness."

"Then, let us go."

* * *

There was something odd about the staff of the hostel, Ursula decided. While they sounded just the same as those at other places she had stayed, their clothing was... different. In fact, the styles looked almost familiar to someone who had been brought up in deepest Russia.

The men wore tunics, just as men most other places did, but theirs had round upright collars, which together with the lower belts made them look just like traditional cossack attire. The few men she had seen who were dressed for outside wore long coats and cylindrical hats reminiscent of Tartar styles, although adjusted for the warmer climate.

The women also wore dresses different than any she had seen before, long, flowing gowns of plain colors and usually under an embroidered vest of another shade. Another oddity was that every female servant had her head covered, some by scarves and others by simple cloth caps, although they showed no sign of disapproval at the guests' uncovered heads.

The proprietor approached the group, bowing obsequiously.

"Your Highness, Mistresses, I apologize for the delay. Your chamber is now ready, if you would follow me. Uh, your page, should he require a separate sleeping room? We are very busy but I may be able to find him a bed with our servants, by your leave."

Eriana tried hard not to glare at the man as she had already explained this once.

"My good man, this young person is not my page. She is the niece of my personal healer Ursula and has recently recovered from a fever. Since we have not been able to properly clean her clothing she is attired thus. She will of course sleep with us."

The man gulped. "As you say, Highness. You did explain but -" He waved his hands helplessly. "As you may see, we are extremely busy."

"It is an unusual circumstance, I admit. If you would show us the way. Will there be hot water available for bathing? Traveling on the river is sticky when it is so warm."

"As you say, Highness. I have asked for water, by the time you have settled in your chamber it should be ready. If you would follow me."

This riverside hostel was larger than some that Ursula remembered, with both men's and women's sides being of two stories. The third side, the eating area, was wider than usual and the stone-built fourth side, where the kitchens and bathing facilities were, was also much larger. All four sides were raised to cope with river floods, as was the central yard. The stables were in a separate block behind the kitchens.

The proprietor led them across the yard and up some stairs to a central corridor with chambers off both sides. Waiting were a group of servant women.

"Your Highness, if I may leave you and your retainers in the hands of my female staff," the man said. "Naturally, if there is aught that I or my people may do you have but to ask."

One of the women curtseyed low. "Your Highness, if you would follow me."

She led them to a spacious chamber with eight single beds in it. There was a separate dressing room where their chests had been placed. Both rooms had large windows overlooking the central yard which, despite the profusion of small leaded panes, let in a good amount of light. Eriana briefly looked around and then nodded to the women.

"Acceptable. Which direction should we go to reach the bathing chambers and toilets?"

"If you would continue along the corridor to the far end, Your Highness. A stairs there will lead you directly into the women's bathing area. At this time of day you should not have other company there, there are many men staying here but few other women."

"Thank you. We will call if we should require help."

"Highness."

The woman curtseyed and departed. At a sign from Eriana Bennet checked the corridor and then closed the door. Eriana turned to Ursula.

"You said that you desired to examine Kaldar."

"I did, Highness. I can do it here or when we go to bathe."

Eriana raised an eyebrow and then turned to Kaldar. "Kaldar, will you bathe with us or would you feel uncomfortable in the same tub with us women?"

The boy gasped. "You bathe together? Highness, I did not know that people did such a thing! At home I must needs bathe with my sisters, overseen by a governess and some female servants, but often we did not bathe at the same time." He added shyly, "Is this something that noble women do? I would not know."

"Child, in Palarand it is common for all women in a household to bathe together, mistresses and maids, should there be enough room. I could not tell you what our menfolk do. If you consider that you are a boy, even though you have the body of a girl, then you may not desire to join us this way. How say you?"

Kaldar licked his lips. "H- Highness, you said that I must needs play a part. If I do not bathe with you the hostel people will think that something is amiss. I will do it."

"Thank you, Kaldar, you are right. Let me check the seals on our chests and then we will go and clean the sweat of the journey from our bodies. A change of attire will do us good as well."

In the bathing chamber the tub was already part-filled with steaming water and the female attendant was setting out soap, towels and fluffy robes for the party. When they arrived she pointed out the ropes for water and the call rope if any assistance was required, then curtseyed and left, closing the door behind her.

Bennet tested the water and pulled for more cold while the others began to disrobe. Hesitantly Kaldar watched them and then began pulling off his borrowed clothes. What was revealed set Eriana's face into a mask of cold anger.

"Ursula, when we return this way I am minded to take a party of my men and burn that monster's mansion to the ground!"

"Highness, if you would have me, I will join you and bring some oil."

Eriana grinned at Ursula. "Despite your healer's oath? We are of the same mind, then." The grin faded. "I thought that my own people were sometimes harsh with their children, I know better now. And they name us barbarians!"

There were many bruises on Kaldar's back and thighs, some caused by rods or canes, others less explainable. There were also several burns.

Also plainly visible for the first time, after the restraining wrappings were removed, were Kaldar's breasts. These were small but definite and appropriate for the age of a developing teenager.

"I do not think that you are going to be able to hide these much longer."

"As you say, Mistress."

"How long have you worn this bandage?"

"Only since this morning, Mistress, after I managed to get some of Sednith's spare attire once they had departed to see you leave. If I may ask why?"

"You can probably just get away with wearing that now, but you are still developing and I will tell you now that it can become very uncomfortable. It can damage things inside your breasts and it will make it harder to breathe."

"I understand that, Mistress, but surely once you find those herbs that you said -"

Ursula held up a hand. "I did say that and it is true, but it may take many months for them to have a noticeable effect. Until then I would really advise you to let your breasts have as much room as possible. That means doing as Her Highness has suggested and pretending that you are a girl."

"As you say, Mistress, but I have no suitable attire."

Eriana suggested, "Kaldar, for today you must needs wear what you began the day with, but it is possible that Tyra may be able to lend you a bodice to support and protect your breasts. Tomorrow you shall go to the market with Ursula and you may find suitable attire there."

Kaldar was downcast. "As you wish, Highness."

Eriana tried an encouraging smile. "Did you think that your heart's desire could be obtained as if by a simple magic spell? On Anmar you know it is deemed there is no such thing as magic. Each of us must needs work hard for our desires and that will take time. Meanwhile, your body continues to grow and must be properly attended."

"I understand, Highness."

"Ah, the impatience of the young! I was once young like you but I know better now. You have done the right thing, Kaldar, by coming with us, and you may trust us to do what is possible to help you. For now, I suggest that you join us in the tub and we can wash the sweat of the river from our bodies."

"As you command, Highness."

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All now up-ge-dated

As the Germans might say (without the hyphens!)

Yod Is Fragmenting

joannebarbarella's picture

When the first part they reach has seceded it cannot be the only one. Their reception further upriver may be interesting.

Kalmar's transition may be quite difficult given the state of the art, or lack of it. Luckily Ursula will be able to ease the way.

Fragmenting

This can cause significant delays in Yod reintegrating as a member the rest of the valley.

Multiple small entitiies would want to rule themselves for some time before becoming part of a bigger more effective entity.

Herding cats and all that.

I suspect we are seeing the separation of political entities that were acquired by conquest in the past by Yod.

federation

Any of them joining the federation would also complicate matters, though I'd expect at least a couple of them to do so, especially those in strong positions for trade, but not in defense, if one of these small city states can establish themselves as a trading post for the federation, they'd get the defense for being part of the trade route to the more upriver federation members

Yod was already fragmenting

as seen in SEE, even before the war ended they were fragmenting. they out stretched themselves, overburdened their logistics, and in the end couldn't hold the territory they gained, making their people question the true strength of Yod, and given that the government ruled through fear, signs of weakness mean opportunity to rebel. Yod as it was being attacked on multiple fronts and from within, shattered. The small city-states that remain may rejoin over time or remain separate entities,

as for Kaldar, we know from JoB that while there's a lot of ignorance on the subject in general, there isn't any wide stigmatism, at least depending on where you are. That they have such herbs and knowledge of their effects are known in certain circles, is a good sign. In addition there's Ursula whom might be able to figure out how to refine and extract the active ingredient and would be there to help fine tune the dosage.

playing a part

needs must, but much more difficult when only just recently been able to be himself

DogSig.png

Playing

Well, lots of us has had to do that.

Circumstances needs and the world will never just give us what we need without effort on our part after all.

Kaldar

is truly on his way to getting his dreams fulfilled.