Cure for Covid

Printer-friendly version


The Cure for Covid

Julia always slept well until tonight. Something felt “different” about her room. Her night light was on, as usual, but the room seemed more lighted than it normally was. She turned over on her left side and saw a most unusual sight. It was a huge “ball” floating about a foot off the floor. It was about 3 feet in diameter and had a rough, gray surface with red, triangular-shaped “pins” over the entire surface. She recognized it as the graphic depiction of the “Covid” virus she had seen on TV. She wasn’t scared, because she knew she had to be dreaming. She had heard her Aunti Jamie say that the key to killing the disease was removing the red “pins”. Was she right? Aunt Jamie was the smartest person she knew. Should she even touch the object? She wanted to kill it, but if she touched it, would it kill her?
She had a plan. She went quietly to the kitchen and got some latex gloves. Back in her room, she put on the gloves and carefully reached and grasped on of the pins. It was soft, and it came out easily. She looked at it. What now?
She went to the bathroom and flushed the pin down the toilet. “That’s one down.” She went back to her room and removed another pin and flushed it. As she made one trip after another, she thought, “This has got to be the weirdest thing I’ve ever done.”
She noticed that as she removed pins, the ball began to deflate. After the last pin was removed, the ball was a flat, gray mass. She threw the gloves under her bed and went to sleep.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Julia was up with the sun. She had a busy day ahead of her; dolls to play with, cartoons to watch, friends to visit. She wanted an early start to get everything done. She went to the living room and dad had the news on! YUK! “Dad! Me and Jack want to watch cartoons. What’s so important about the news?”
“Hush!”
Adults have no respect for kids when they interrupt TV watching. Julia settled onto the couch to wait for Dad to go to sleep so she could change the channel.
UPDATE!!! Big news today! “Wow,” thought Julia gloomily. “We’ll probably have to watch the news for about 10 minutes. My play day is wasting away fast.”
“The CDC announced today that there have been no new cases of Covid19. There have also been no deaths in the last 12 hours. Those infected with the disease are rapidly improving. This unexplained phenomenon is occurring worldwide. Scientists are working to determine what caused the sudden reversal and warn that the disease could return at any time. They say people should continue to wear masks until it becomes clear that this pandemic is over.”
Julia was stunned. She thought of her dream. It was a dream, wasn’t it? She rushed to her room. There on the floor was a flat, gray mass. She retrieved her gloves from under the bed and picked up the mass. She carried it to the kitchen, put it into a trash bag, and carried it to the trash can outside.
Should she tell anyone? Nah, no one would believe her. Wait. Aunt Jamie would believe her. She would call her later. For now, Dad had gone to sleep, so she switched the TV to the Cartoon Channel.

The End

AttachmentSize
Image icon Covid1.jpg25.12 KB
up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Title was compelling

I liked the point of view, "Yuk! What's so important about the news?"
Funny, I still feel that way as an adult. Anyway, I wish...
You did a fine short, short.

>>> Kay

Thank you

Some of us remember a lot about how it was to be a child. There are those who seem to act as though they never were young. I feel sorry for them.
As for the news, what's so important about the news is what we are told is important by people who live thousands of miles away and have lives of relative luxury. They tell us not only what is important, but what products to buy, generally how we should live, and, worst of all ... how to vote!
Their "how to vote" is preceded by their complete destroying of one candidate and total worship of the candidate of their choosing. They have jusst managed to destroy a president who was bringing our country from near complete ruin, and replaced him with a senile social Socialist bent on keeping his party in power forever. He, like so many others, never learned to lesson of the dozens of failed socialist "paradices" with their cruelty toward the masses while a small group of people live in luxury.
I didn't mean to go so far into politics, but It irks me to see "intelligent" people repeat a cruel past instead of learning from it.
Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed my short short! It doesn't solve anything but I hope it was fun.

Jamie

Very fun! I won't go into

Rose's picture

Very fun! I won't go into politics here, but I will say it's refreshing to read your side. I've decided to remove myself from facebook because of censoring. I prefer to doo my own research rather than be told what I will or will not believe.

Hugs.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Facebook

It's amazing how anything popular gets controlled by he left.

Jamie

I'll take your senile

I'll take your senile Socialist and raise you a far-right narcissist demagogue.

Maria