Chapter 13 - The New Normal

Printer-friendly version

Link: Every Day Is Your Last Title Page and Description

--

When Rich, Heather, and I drove back to the bay area in his car, mine stayed with Jack and Erica after we three had properly 'decorated' it. By then I was feeling a little better about things, but not much. I think I did a pretty good job of keeping the boys blissfully unaware, but not Heather. She knew I was upset, and why, without me saying a word.

That week was hell for me. Once word got around that Jack and Erica had gotten married, I had every single serviceman at that base 'dropping by' the shop to give their condolences on the breakup of our relationship, and not too casually expressing their interest at taking his fictional place in my bed. I managed to duck out of them all that week by saying how I was still kind of heartbroken over the whole thing and just wanted to take time away from dating anyone, but I knew they'd be back.

I never realized before that week just how much Jack had helped my time in the Corps be as enjoyable as it was. After he got married, it was a chore. Just work... and I had eighteen months left in my cruise.

When Jack finally returned the next weekend, I got to hear all the details of their Honeymoon. Romantic evenings, dinners at the lake, feeding ducks at some park, I wanted to puke it was so sweet! I'll admit it. I was bitter. Bitter, jealous, and angry with Jack for taking away my protective cloak. I think that's why he did what he did.

---

Signing his release papers, Jack then handed them back to his commanding officer. Sighing, he dropped the pen on the desk. Without another word, he saluted and left, knowing that today would be his last day of active duty. He had enough Leave saved up that he would be taking the rest of his cruise on Leave starting the next day and ending on the anniversary of his joining up. Smiling as he returned to start packing up his things, most of them already at the apartment he and Erica shared, he knew that his entire life was about to change.

"Jack!" Richard called out to him, running down the hall to catch up. "All out?"

He nodded silently. After walking a bit, he looked at his friend. "You?"

"Signed off, but I have three weeks left before I can take Terminal Leave." he replied. "So what're your plans now?"

Jack stopped in the hall and leaned against the cold bricks shrugging. "Well, Erica still has a year left on her degree. I'm thinking of getting a job around locally so I can keep things moving toward us buying that place when she's done. Dad's still paying her tuition and housing for her, so we don't need to worry about that. Makes me feel guilty, though."

"Don't sweat Dad's help, Jack." Richard advised. "Soon you'll be missing it! Badly!"

Starting down the hall once more, this time Jack was slow and methodical. "Well, I had a thought about what to do after she's done with school. With Mom gone and your folks living in SoCal, there really isn't any reason to go back to P-A. No one there to want to go back to. So I was thinking, maybe Erica and I'll move down south so she can be close to your folks."

Stopping in his tracks, Richard grabbed Jack's arm. "Jack, you're willing to live that close to Mother? Not afraid she's gonna poison you or anything?"

"Nah!" Jack shook his head. "I just won't ever eat her cooking! She's got to get used to me being her son-in-law eventually, right? Right? Rich!?"

Laughing, Richard shook his head. "I dunno, Jack! I wouldn't be surprised if you bring your wife over for dinner at their house one night and find that Mom happened to invite some single guy friend over, someone she thinks Erica might like better than you!"

"I got no worries about that, Rich! Buttons would sooner gnaw off her own arm than leave me! Poor girl! She's a hopeless case, Rich!"

He patted Jack's shoulder. "I don't get it. I don't think I ever will, but you're right! She's totally gone for you!" After a moment, he gently grabbed Jack's shoulder to pull him to a stop again. "Um... you talked to Brooke?"

"Brooke!" Jack sighed. "See, I don't get it! She was all happy to help me with the wedding and almost giddy at tricking you into being my Best Man, but then as soon as I got back... Bam! It's like a freezer got left open anytime she sees me! I can feel the temperature drop twenty degrees!"

"You know she's getting hit on like thirty times a day?" Richard pointed out.

"No! How could I know! She hardly speaks to me!" Jack lightly punched the wall. "What does she expect? She want me to get a divorce just to keep the guys off her back?"

"Just cut her some slack, Jack! She's having a hard time adjusting to things! She got used to you keeping the field clear and now it's like every guy here is trying to make up for lost time! Swabbies included!"

"Ouch!" Jack winced. "Oh, that's gotta hurt! Well what can I do? Put out the word that she's frigid or something? Bad in bed?"

"Have Erica invite her over for dinner more often! At least if you keep her social calendar full, she'll have handy excuses for turning them down!"

"Great! Just what I want! Brooke crashing my romantic dinners at home just when I get time to be there myself? No, Brooke's just gonna have to man-up and turn them away on her own. If she's pissed off at me for marrying Erica, then... well... then she's on her own! See ya, Rich!" At that, Jack took off down the hall, intending to make the rest of his final day at The Barracks less uncomfortable.

Watching his friend leave, Richard sighed. "Damn it, Jack!"

Erica lit the second candle at the dining room table, shaking the match out before turning the lights down low. Any minute Jack would be home to stay, and she intended to make the most of their first of many evenings to come. Checking her makeup once more, she smoothed her hair away from her face, smiling at her reflection. With a gratified sigh, she waited.

Hauling the seabag out of the cab, Jack pulled it over his shoulder, vaulting up the steps by twos towards their apartment. Opening the door, he noticed the dark lighting immediately, despite the late afternoon sun. The smell of pasta and bread wafted out the door as he entered; his seabag dropping off his shoulder as he saw her standing next to the couch.

"Welcome home, Jack!" she purred.

Not even bothering to close the door, he rushed up to her and lifted her in the air, making her shriek with laughter. "I'm free!" he shouted, spinning her around. Putting her down gently, he kept his arms around her. "How was school, little girl?"

Laughing, Erica relaxed into his embrace. "Boring! This makes up for it!"

Returning to and closing the door after picking up his bag, he carried it off to their room, dropping it unceremoniously in their cluttered closet. "Dinner smells wonderful!" he complimented her. "How do you find the time?"

"I made the time!" she replied from the kitchen. "Go wash up!"

"Yes, dear." he surrendered. "Want me to change to a suit and tie?"

"No, just wash your hands!" Erica laughed. "And shave, you Neanderthal!"

"Ug! Me scrape face! Then club head!" he grunted, drawing another fit of laughter from his wife.

Coming out freshly shaven and clean, he leaned against the wall next to the kitchen, his smile at watching Erica stir spaghetti almost made her laugh for that alone. Coming up behind her, he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her neck. "Anything I can help with?"

"Just go sit and I'll bring it out. You can help later with the dishes! I cooked, you're cleaning up!"

"Deal!" he agreed, poking her sides with his fingers and making her jump.

"Ah! Jack! No!" she laughed.

While they sat and ate silently, the two kept looking at each other smiling, sometimes breaking out into giddy laughter at nothing but the other's smile. Once Jack finished his plate, he sat back and held his stomach. "Now that I'm Outside, I'm gonna need to watch that. You keep stuffing me like this, and I'm gonna bloat up like Principal Ford!"

"I'll make sure you get plenty of physical activity to keep you in top fighting shape!" she joked seductively. "You can start with the dishes!"

"Ah! The bliss of married life! You're bossing me around already! I love it!" Getting up, he made his way to the kitchen, kissing her cheek on the way.

"So did you see Richie before you left today?" Erica asked as she gathered their dishes and brought them into the kitchen.

"Yep. Just a quick word in the hallway, though. Got too busy after that." Jack started running hot water over the pans.

"How about Brooke? I haven't heard from her in weeks! How's she doing?" She leaned against the refrigerator to listen.

"Um... well, Brooke's been a little... distant... lately. Downright frosty, to be honest." He talked as he washed. "Apparently, since I'm not available to run interference for her anymore, she has like half the base beating a path to her rack. Poor kid! Still, she acts like it's my fault."

Twisting her fingers in knots, Erica looked down. "I... I feel for her. It's sort of my fault that you're not around to keep the guys away. If I didn't..."

Jack stopped washing and hugged her. "No, Buttons! This is not your fault! It's just... just the way it is." Stroking her hair and comforting her, he decided that it would be a good time to tell her about his idea. "I was thinking, after you graduate next spring, what would you think about moving south to be close to your folks? I mean, I just want you to be happy, and I know being able to be near Dad would help."

"Oh, Jack!" she cried, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him into a deep and loving kiss. "That sounds wonderful!" She stopped and her smile vanished. "But we have another year until then. What'll you do in the mean time?"

"Well, I... I saved a lot of money from the sale of my mom's house. Between my pay and that, Mom's care and funeral only used about half of it, so I have a bit left. If I get a temp job around here I can add to it, so by the time we're ready to move south we can afford a pretty decent house. So long as Dad keeps paying your apartment rent now that we're married, that is. Otherwise, I'll have to make enough to cover expenses and the money we have saved will have to do for a down payment. Either way, I should get some kind of job around here."

"What were you thinking of doing?" she asked.

He returned to washing dishes as he answered. "Well, I know a lot about the dry-cleaning business from my old man. I figure I could get my foot in the door to start, then work up to management pretty quick. Good enough for temp work anyway. Once we get to SoCal, I'm thinking about opening my own place. 'Jack's Jiffy Dry-Clean'! How's that sound?"

"Corny!" she laughed. "Still, I think you could do anything sometimes! If that's what makes you happy, then I'm right there with you!"

He finished scrubbing dishes and loaded them in the dishwasher. "Sometimes I feel like that, too! Usually after you tell me!" He added the soap and started the appliance. Turning to dry his hands on a dishtowel, he wrapped his arms around his wife. "So any other plans for the evening?"

She looked up at him coyly. "I just might have one or two!"

Three weeks later, Richard joined Jack in leaving the service, using the last of his Leave time to get out early. Carrying a box of Richard's clothes out the door to the old station wagon, Jack met Brooke coming in. The two looked at each other, almost daring the other to say something. When Brooke slowly looked away and cleared the doorway, Jack sighed and carried his load out without a word.

"You two ever gonna work this out?" Richard asked idly as he taped another box shut.

She shrugged as she looked for the next thing to take out. "Nothing to say, really."

"Oh? How come you keep staring daggers at him every time he so much as breathes in your presence, then?"

Brooke paced the room, her task forgotten. "You just don't get it, Rich! OK, so he fell in love and got married! Where does that leave me? I can't even use the head without three grunts and a squid asking me out!" She moved over close to him so she could lower her voice. "I can't even think about going on a date! If I got caught, I don't have Jack around to cover for me!"

"That's not Jack's fault, Brooke. You know that." Richard pointed out. "I don't see why you're pissed at him for it."

"It's because... Rrrg! You just don't get it, do you!" she growled. "I know, I've had it easy the last five years. No one bugging me for a date because I was Jack's girl. Now it's ten times worse than the other W-Ms get though, 'cause all the guys know I'm 'straight', available, supposedly willing to date grunts, and some of them have years of pent up desire to act on it! I'm scared one of these thugs is gonna drag my ass in a closet and rape me 'cause I dated Jack and won't date them, Rich! What am I supposed to do!? I... I don't think I can finish my cruise like this! It would have been better if Genius Jack had never helped me in the first place!"

"Sorry to have been so much trouble." Jack snidely remarked as he came in for another box. "OK, Brooke. What do you want me to do? Divorce Erica so I can go back to 'dating' you for the next sixteen months? Huh? Tell me how to fix it! What do you want from me?"

Brooke stared at Jack as though she could burn him with her eyes. "Nothing, Jack! You've done enough! Why don't you run back home to your little girl and play House some more!"

"Hey!" Richard barked. "So you're pissed at my sister, too?"

She nearly cried in frustration. "Rrrg! You two are impossible!" She started for the doorway that Jack still stood in. "Make a hole, maggot!"

"Gladly!" Jack snapped as he stepped back out into the hallway. As Brooke stormed away, he saw Corporal Rogers intercept her in the hall.

"Brooke! Hey look, I was thinking, since you're available and all, if you'd like to..."

She turned on him with fire in her eyes, her voice a low growl so it wouldn't carry. "Let me break this down Bert and Ernie-style, shit-brick! Finish that sentence and they'll be collecting shards of your nuts from the floor for the next month! I'm no fucking Barracks Bunny! And even if I was, I'd sooner stand naked in the middle of Mess Hall at noon than go out with a broke-dick maggot like you! Do I make myself clear!?"

He escaped down the hall away from her and towards Jack as she went the other way. "I can see why you dumped her, Dunning! What a bit..."

Lunging, Jack pinned him to the opposite wall with his forearm against his throat, interrupting his insult. "Don't even say it Rogers, or I'll do to you what she threatened!" He leaned in and lowered his voice to a low growl. "Spread the word! Leave! Her! Alone!" Pausing he added, "She's still not available, get me?" As Corporal Rogers tried to struggle away, Jack leaned harder, threatening to break the other Marine's neck.

Richard pulled Jack off the hapless Marine. "Back off! You're on Terminal Leave, so don't screw it up!" Turning to Jack's victim, he hooked a thumb over his shoulder. "Beat it, Rogers!" Looking back to Jack, he ran his fingers through his hair and exhaled heavily. "And you, ya' double-digit midget! Help me get this stuff out of here, will ya'?"

Calming himself from his rage, Jack nodded. "Alright, Rich. I'll behave."

Between the two of them, they managed to pack out Richard's things by the end of the day. Getting ready to leave for the last time, Richard saw Brooke approaching. Nodding to her, he got Jack's attention. "We have company."

Brooke walked up to her two best friends almost shyly. "Listen, I wanted to say..." She paused and stopped next to the rear hatch of the old car, looking at the two men who had been her best friends, but were about to get in and never return. "Shit!"

"Really?" Jack said with surprise. "That's your parting words for us?"

"Jack! You..." Brooke fumed before she couldn't help herself and began to laugh along with the two others. "I hate you!" she said jokingly.

Straightening up, having doubled over laughing at Brooke's reaction, Jack shook his head. "Brooke! You know you love me! Come here!" She walked over and they hugged, their laughter fading. "Just so you know, I straightened out Rogers and told him to spread the word that you're still off limits."

Brooke pulled back and looked at him with an astonished expression. "Jack! Won't that make people think..."

"Who gives a shit what these jarheads think!" he interrupted. "They wanna think we're having an affair? Let 'em! It's harmless and will keep you outta their scopes. What? You afraid you'll get hit with Article one-thirty-four? I'm out, and Erica isn't going to lodge a complaint!"

"Jack, if that gets back to Dad," Richard pointed out, "he'll kill you where you stand, on rumor alone!"

"It's a risk I'm willing to take, and I know Buttons will back me up on this!"

Erica stared at him. "You did what?"

"Look, I didn't actually say anything, honey!" Jack defended his actions. "I just implied it! It'll keep the guys off her back until she's out!"

She paced the living room floor almost yelling at him. "Jack! I don't want anyone thinking things like that about you! Why didn't you talk to me about it first?"

"Is that it?" he accused. "Or is it you'll be embarrassed if people think that your husband..."

"Jack!" she screamed at him. "I don't care what people think of me! I... I just couldn't stand it if someone like Daddy were to think... think so badly of you! It would make Mother look like she was right and break my heart!"

Looking at his wife, he saw the tears streaming down her face, melting his defenses. "Oh God, Erica! I... I'm sorry!" He closed to her and wrapped her in his arms. "Honestly, I didn't plan it. It... it just popped out of my mouth! I couldn't let that idiot badmouth her, and when I saw that my defending her could be taken to mean... well... I added just enough to put the idea in his head. I... I'm sorry, but I wouldn't take it back, even if I could. Brooke is one of my best friends. I just... I couldn't sit by and do nothing while she went through hell!"

Erica held him tightly, terrified. "I guess there's nothing to be done about it now. I'm just scared that your solution to Brooke's problem will backfire on us, somehow! I... I really hope it turns out for the best!"

The following Saturday Jack was out job hunting when Erica heard a knock at the door. Looking through the peephole, she opened up with a worried expression. "Brooke? Is everything alright?"

Her husband's best friend couldn't look at her. "Um... can I talk to Jack?"

She opened the door for her. "Come on in." The Marine walked into their living room as Erica explained. "Jack's not here, but you can stay until he gets back." She closed the door and watched Brooke start toward it again.

"No, I... I think I should go and try to talk to him later. I..."

"Brooke! It's alright! Please? How about a nice cup of coffee?" Erica smiled, trying to ease her discomfort.

Forcing a smile, she still couldn't look at Erica. "I... I suppose that would be alright." While Erica warmed up their drinks in the microwave, Brooke took a seat at their table. "Maybe I should just go until Jack gets back."

"Really, Brooke! It's fine! Whatever it is, I..." she said as she sat down at the table with her. "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable around us."

Brooke sighed. "It's just... well... Jack's been really easy to talk to about some things over the years, and I... I was hoping he could help me with... well... with a problem."

Hearing the microwave, Erica got back up to retrieve their drinks. "Well, you could talk to me. I know I'm not Jack, you and he have a lot more in common, but I'd like to think I know Jack pretty well. Maybe I can help!" She sat a warm cup of coffee in front of her guest and returned to the seat next to her. "Try me!"

Staring at the cup in front of her, Brooke shook her head and laughed lightly. "It's stupid, really! I... I'm just used to Jack being around to help me. Guess I'm gonna have to find a new normal." She looked at Erica and smiled. "I really am happy for you two, but also just a tiny bit jealous!"

"A tiny bit?" Erica retorted. "You look like I've felt for the last six years!"

"How's that?"

"Pining!" Erica replied empathetically. "Is there... um... someone special?"

Brooke pushed her cup around in a circle with the handle. "No, and... well... that's the jealous part! I see you and Jack, Rich and Heather, and... ugh! It just makes me think I'm never..."

"Hold it!" Erica interrupted. "Just stop right there! I know there's someone out there for you, Brooke! You just haven't found her yet!" She took another drink before asking, "I mean, how long has it been since you even went on a date?"

Rolling her eyes, Brooke chuckled uneasily. "Too long! Not since last year! Um... November. God! What a disaster that turned out to be! But, it's... it's harder now that I can't fake-double with Jack."

"Can't Richie help?"

Brooke stuck her tongue out. "Blech! Sorry, I love your brother, but doubling with he and Heather is like swimming in a syrup vat! They're so damn cute and into each other it's like they aren't even there with you sometimes! Even when they are, it makes any date I have uncomfortable. It's so obvious they're gonna spend the rest of their lives together, it makes them start thinking the same thing about me! That's dangerous territory!"

"Don't you want a long term relationship?"

"Of course!" Brooke said defensively. "But it's kind of a turn-off for a first date! Besides, you start talking long-term commitments with a lesbian and you might get them showing up the next day at your house with a U-Haul!"

The two laughed together for a bit before Erica asked, "So, what was it you wanted to talk to Jack about?"

Smiling embarrassedly, Brooke looked into her cup. "Um... well, I was kinda hoping he would... um... take me out? Running as my wingman? That way if I bump into anyone from the base I can just say I was out with him and not raise any ticklish questions."

Pondering Brooke's situation, and wanting to get closer to the woman that helped her get Jack, Erica shrugged. "Well, I suppose it would be alright with me, but what would you think about going out with the both of us? I swear, I wouldn't be too much of a drag!"

"I don't think that would work." Brooke said shaking her head. "I mean, if I was out with the both of you..." She stopped and reconsidered her objections. "Actually, come to think of it, I don't see why it couldn't work!" She looked up at Erica, concerned that she didn't trust her with Jack alone. "I hope you know that there's never been anything between Jack and me, and there never could be! I love Jack, but like a brother! You have nothing to worry about!" She was surprised when Erica began to laugh. "What's so funny?"

Unable to help herself, she tried to calm down and explain. "Oh, Brooke! It's just... I tried to see you and Jack being romantic in any way and... Oh God, no! It was almost comical! Honestly, I have no idea how you've pulled off being a couple for so long!"

They were still laughing together when Jack came in the front door. "Well this doesn't bode well! You two? Laughing and conspiring while I'm out there slaving to get a job?" He looked at Brooke. "You're not trying to take my Buttons to the dark side are you?"

Erica rose and hugged him, still laughing. "No, love! Just you and I taking her out tonight for some fun and looking for a date! Nothing to worry about!"

"So what? You need two wingmen again?" Jack half smiled as he sat down at the table. "Now that Rich is living up the whole 'unwed couple' bit, you need to horn in on my Saturday nights?"

"Hey! I was just gonna ask you to fly CAS for me like you used to, but she insisted!" Brooke said defensively.

Coming up behind him, Erica wrapped her arms around his chest. "Don't worry, love! It'll be fun!"

Ordering three more drinks at the bar, Jack stood and waited uncomfortably. The bartender gave him a dirty look as he took the drinks and dropped a ten on the counter. "Keep the rest for the wonderful service." he quipped. Taking their drinks back to their table, he rejoined Brooke and his wife. "Ya' know, I get the distinct impression that the bartender might have spit in my drink."

Shaking her head, Erica took a sip. "She's just jealous that you're with us!"

Sitting back in her chair, Brooke stirred her drink absently. "I'm starting to think going out with you is part of my problem, Jack! Heck, Erica's gotten hit on more times than I have tonight! Maybe I'd do better if she and I left you at home!"

Blushing, his wife shook her head again. "I think that last girl really wanted to ask you to dance, but she chickened out at the last second and asked 'the ugly friend' instead!"

"You take that back!" Jack almost barked. "No bad-mouthing my Buttons!" He took another drink before leaning over to Brooke. "Hey. End of the bar. The tall blonde with the cropped hair? I think she was just eyeing you."

Glancing over at where Jack had indicated, she shook her head subtly. "No, and if she was it was to shoot me a dirty look. I'm not her type. She's the type that thinks that you're not a real lesbian unless you look like a man."

"How can you possibly know that from here?" Jack asked in disbelief.

"The same way you can tell when..." She paused and looked at the couple sitting with her. "Oh, wait. I forgot who I was talking to. Mister Oblivious who couldn't figure out that his wife was in love with him for over a decade! Never mind. You wouldn't understand. Suffice it to say I can just tell!"

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Brooke

tough place to be in. but at least she and Jack made up

DogSig.png

Not desperate much

Jamie Lee's picture

If asked out on a date, and the answer is no, constantly, one would think that message would circulate and offers would stop. But not for Brooke. None of the rejects passed the word.

Implications can run in the wrong direction because other's minds run the same direction. Never does it cross their minds that they may be wrong in their assumptions. Never until they learn the truth, a truth that never occurred to them.

If word gets back to Frank, and he doesn't bother to ask Jack straight out, then he's no better than those circulating a lie. And Erica's mom will feel vindicated because she too would believe the lie.

Those who know Jack, or knew him over the years, would understand why he did what he did for Brooke. And that he'd never doing anything to hurt Erica.

Others have feelings too.