Epilogue

Printer-friendly version

Link: Every Day Is Your Last Title Page and Description

--

Sitting in Erica's office reading the printed copy of the finished manuscript, Brooke flipped through the final pages as she read the words, tears filling her eyes at the remembered heartbreak of losing her best friends. Wiping them away, she finally put down the papers.

"Wow!" she exhaled heavily. "That was..." She looked over at her niece and shook her head. "I... I can't believe it! You got all this from those tapes you recorded of me? Erica! Some of those lines were almost verbatim, and I don't mean the ones I told you! How..." Her voice trailed off as she looked at Jack's daughter, unable to formulate the words.

"I listened to your stories over and over, picturing them in my mind." Erica shrugged modestly. "The description and dialog just sort of flowed out from everything you told me about them. It just seemed... natural." She chuckled lightly. "I also did a whole lot of research! Learning Marine Corps slang took months! Did I get it right?"

Biting her lip while she considered the question, Brooke shrugged. "A little heavy at times, but not very noticeably. Some places it shows that you never served, but not so terribly that it's off-putting. I think it shows you wanted to re-create the feeling of it out of respect, not just to sound right."

Sighing, Erica nodded. "I could trim it up if you tell me where. I want this to be as perfect as it can be, Aunt Brooke."

"No." she replied. "Thank you for the compliment, thinking I could improve on what you've done here, but it really does work as a story. Anything more authentic would come off as sounding too real. See?" She flipped back to the beginning chapters. "I love the way you depicted Jack as a kid! It's just the way I always imagined him! I don't know if he was really like that, but I think it's probably pretty close. I guess the only way to know would be to seek out people that were there and ask them."

"I did." Erica said as she stood and slowly paced her office. "I did a bit of searching, using the detective agency that found April for me. Wendy Evans seems to have changed her name or moved or both. I found copies of their Yearbook for the class of eighty-nine, so I know what she looked like, but I couldn't locate her, so..." She shrugged helplessly as she sat down behind her desk.

"Huh." Brooke said as she looked off in the distance. "Well, I can tell you for certain that there was somebody who did those things. The look on Rich's face when he would mention her was authentically loathing."

Nodding in acceptance, Erica sat up. "Unfortunately, there weren't enough details or names of other people that could give an honest account to dig much. I did find Uncle Richard's high school football coach and interviewed him briefly. He was able to corroborate the events that took place on the field after the locker incident, but he never really knew my father very well, other than just as, the way he put it, 'the skinny kid that always hung around with Rich'. He gave me a little more insight into Uncle Richard as a kid, but no one seems to remember much about my father, except you and Mamma. The only ones to even remember him were teachers, and even then only vaguely."

Flipping through the chapters, Brooke stopped and laughed lightly at Erica's description of her own parents' wedding day. "How on earth did you get all the details of that day? I only gave you a rough idea of what we did!"

"Lots of research!" she answered with a tired laugh. "That's why this took so long. I wanted to make sure I got as many details right as I could. I looked up weather on specific dates, made sure I had the right day of the week, when was sunrise and sunset for each location and scene, tons of public records, some old maps, online databases of certain events... you know, research! The rest just came from the natural evolution of the characters. There was also the bartender at the club you went to. I found him, even though the club isn't there anymore. Heck, the casino it was in isn't even there anymore! He remembered you five, though. Vividly!"

She stood and placed the manuscript on Erica's desk. "Well, I don't think you could have done it better if you were there!" She sat back down and shook her head. "OK, I have to ask. How could you write that scene about Jack and Erica's first time? I mean, they're your parents! Wasn't that a little..."

"...creepy?" Erica finished for her. "Yeah, only a lot! But the story wouldn't flow right without it. I tried getting around it with a sort of 'fade to black' writing style, but it felt rushed and failed to capture their depth of feeling for one another. So I just pretended they were only characters in my head and nothing more. The rest was just imagining the natural flow of events and trying not to think about it too much!"

Laughing, Brooke clapped her hands together. "Well, you've got a stronger stomach than I do! I don't think I could write that about my parents!"

Erica laughed with her for a moment before getting serious once more. "So then, I told you when I asked you to help me with this that if you didn't think it was good enough that I wouldn't publish it, just keep it as a family record." Pausing as she closed her eyes and took in a breath, she let it out and asked. "What do you think? Is it good enough?"

Brooke looked away in thought. "I... I don't know, Erica. It's good, don't get me wrong! I'm just..." She sighed as she tried to express her concerns. "I just don't want people that were there to think it's trying to make them look bad, or telling about their lives without asking, you know?"

Sitting behind her desk, Erica flipped through the pages. "Well, I can change the names, make sure nobody is mentioned by their real name. That and publishing it as fiction with notation that it is a work of fiction that is only based on stories told second-hand, yadda, yadda, legalese and all. Would it be alright then?"

Sighing, she looked at Erica. "I suppose so. I guess it would be good to know that at least this much of Jack and Rich would live beyond them; that maybe someone might be helped by the stories of their lives." She paused a moment before nodding. "Yeah, I think they would like that! Especially Jack! God! His ego must be bursting at the thought of it!"

"Well then," Erica said standing and picking up the papers. "I'll send it to final edit and put it out there! If people like it... or not... at least I know I did the best I could. I... I also know that now a little bit of my father and uncle lives in my mind. Now I understand what Mom meant when she said there were so many stories about him that she never got to tell me. It was one of her biggest regrets." She looked at Brooke wistfully. "Thank you for helping me put at least some of that to rest for her!"

Brooke stood and walked around the desk to hug her best friend's daughter. "It was my pleasure, Erica!" Holding it a moment, she pulled away to look at her watch. "Well, I think I need to be getting home soon. Jenny will skin me alive if I'm not there for dinner! I've been gone all weekend and she is not happy about it, but I think she understands. She never got much of a chance to know Jack or your mom, just those few days and the month after your mom had her hysterectomy, but she knows how important Jack was to me."

"Just tell her you were spending some time with Jack and Rich for a while." Erica offered. "I mean, from a certain point of view, you were!"

"Yeah..." she mused. "I guess I was!" Clearing her throat and holding her tears back, she stepped back toward the door. "Oh, give my best to the family for me?"

"I will, Aunt Brooke!" Erica answered dutifully.

"Oh! If you hear from that cousin of yours, tell her to call me sometime? Aunts and godmothers worry! I need to know she's OK."

"Yes, Aunt Brooke!" Erica replied again. "I'll make sure to call more, too!"

Blowing her honorary niece a kiss, Brooke turned and walked out the office door. Making her way out to the street, she climbed into her car and started it, still reminiscing about the years of happiness, love, sadness, fun, tears, laughter, and worry she'd shared with the two men who'd been, and always would be, her best friends. Pulling away from the curb slowly, she drove home almost without thought, guided simply by the desire to be back home in Jenny's arms where she belonged.

Absently, her thoughts wandered. I wonder if Jenny would still like a baby? After all, she's only forty-three, and I'm the same age Jack's parents were when he was born!

--

If you have enjoyed this story, I would ask that you pay a small amount for the entertainment it has provided you. Nothing worthwhile in life is free. A one-time donation of $5 to the site makes it cost less than most paperbacks. Even if you regularly donate, this is the price I ask you to pay to see to it that this and stories like it can remain available.

Thank you and may God bless,
Roberta Elder

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

perfect epilogue

excellent story, thank you for sharing it.

DogSig.png

Thanks!

RobertaME's picture

Thank you for reading it!

Next up is The Road to Hell, inspired by Heather Rose Brown's I Ain't Gay!. Hopefully in the time it takes me to post that story up I can finish Silver Lining, my current work in progress. ::fingers crossed::

::huggles::
Roberta

Loved this,

just as much as I did the first time I read it. Can't wait for the new one, but I guess I'll have to.

This, from a completely different viewpoint (yours)

cleverly rounds the whole story out.
Oh, and I had forgotten who was "voicing" it! There I was wondering how YOU (in person) had contact with Brooke, only to discover that it was written as Erica's discoveries.
Thanks, it was very good reading because it was good writing.

Viewpoints

RobertaME's picture

The only time Jack's daughter Erica is mentioned is in the Prologue, which was posted two months ago, so it's easy to understand why you forgot. I was hoping that the constant intro sections of Brooke's commentary and putting the tag "Story in a story" on each chapter would help the reader be reminded of just who is supposed to be writing the story, but I guess it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Oh well. ::shrug::

Thank you for the compliment as well! It was a pleasure writing it (even though it required an immense amount of work and research) and I'm glad to know it was just as thoroughly enjoyed by those reading it.

Hugs,
Roberta

Had me going again.

Thank you for a wonderful journey.

Initially, I imagined Brooke, cosy in front of a fire, passing on audible history with her grandchildren or some similar construct but this twist was wonderful.

I enjoyed the different perspectives as the tale unfolded. I’m sure there is a writers name for this style but I found it interesting. The opening comments from Brooke gave me a gentle gateway back into the story and made it feel ‘lived”.

While I was comfortable I not ‘knowing’ about Faith, April and Erica, I was left wanting in regards to Heather. Did I miss something?

Once again, thank you.

Heather

RobertaME's picture

Every Day Is Your Last is only cursorily about Heather, Brooke, and Jenny. Primarily it's about Jack, Richard, and Erica... the three who grew up together... two a brother and sister, two best friends, and two husband and wife... all three gone by the time Lost Faith begins, but so important to why that story is the way it is. Brooke gets a little more 'screen time' in the story by virtue of the fact that all these stories are told from her perspective, either ones she heard the boys or Erica tell her about when they were growing up or because she was there, and Jenny gets more time by virtue of the fact that she's Brooke's wife. Heather in this story is almost a tertiary background character, included only because she was there. She, April, Faith, and little Erica get their stories told in Lost Faith.

I'm glad that the style of opening each chapter with a quote from Brooke worked as a means of keeping the reader immersed. I've never seen a novel use that kind of technique before and wasn't sure if it would work out or not. That was only half of the reason for it being there, though. I actually wanted to make sure the reader kept being reminded of the fact that the author of the story within the story was Erica Dunning, Jack's daughter, and that she was re-telling the stories 'third-hand' and fictionalized as described in the Prologue. I guess that didn't work out very well if you felt like the ending was a twist. Perhaps I should make that point clearer in the Prologue. (I just didn't want to beat the reader over the head with it!)

The proper literary term for this novel's perspective is "third-person omniscient", where the narrator knows the thoughts and feelings of everyone in the story, not just the main character, (which is "third-person limited") allowing the point of view to switch from place to place and person to person. Little Women and Pride and Prejudice use this same writing style.

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the story! It was a pleasure creating it and nice to know that others got something out of it, too.

Hugs,
Roberta