Chapter 17 - Giving Thanks

Printer-friendly version

Link: Every Day Is Your Last Title Page and Description

--

Jack and I had a blast at the pizza parlor that day while Heather and Erica saw to the fittings. We talked for what seemed like hours, laughed, and had a great time. At one point, the waitress that brought us our drinks said we made a cute couple. I wanted to rip her head off at the time, but Jack just laughed. Looking back, it was kind of funny, and I suppose we did make a cute couple, as weird as that sounds! I guess that's why people believed it so easily for so long.

The next several days were a blur. Not only were we getting ready for the wedding on Saturday, but Thanksgiving was that Thursday and Heather had planned a large get together at her family home for both the wedding party and guests and friends of hers and Rich's from their jobs. Sort of a hybrid Rehearsal Dinner, Office Party, and Thanksgiving all rolled into one. I had doubts if even her huge home could fit everyone.

The biggest worry was Rich and Erica's parents. They were invited of course, but none of us knew if Judith would show or not, what with Jack being the Best Man, and even if she did show, if she would make a scene. Erica told me that she was feeling nervous, like a cat on an unplugged electric fence, scared that at any moment it'd go live. Meanwhile, I was struggling with my own issues. I just didn't know if I could be what Heather needed me to be, and I wanted her to have what she deserved.

So Thanksgiving began with a lot of question marks and ended with more.

---

Jack awoke just as the sun started to break through the window of the room Heather had given Erica and him for their stay. Still two hours earlier than his usual six o'clock rising time, but already almost an hour later according to the clock, he rolled over so the sun wouldn't be in his eyes and he could go back to sleep.

Rolling into Erica roused her from sleep, stretching and wrapping her arms and legs around him and relishing the feel of every morning that she could wake with her Jack just where she had always wanted him; wrapped in her arms. She almost purred with contentment as she ran her fingers through his lengthening hair. "Good morning, Jack! Happy Thanksgiving!"

"Uh-uh." he mumbled. "Not yet it isn't! Come back in a few hours!"

Kissing his forehead as she giggled, Erica wouldn't let it be. "Not a chance, Marine! Reveille! We have a big day today, and Heather's going to need all the help she can get!" Lifting his chin, she kissed him passionately, knowing it would stir him. When she knew she had his full attention, she slid out of bed and walked nonchalantly towards the bathroom. "Come on! Up, up, up!"

"Dirty pool!" he shouted after her as she closed the bathroom door, throwing the blanket back and climbing out of bed. "Jeez! This floor is freezing!" he commented, stepping tiptoe into the bathroom behind her. "I'm gonna run through a shower real quick. Wanna join?" he asked with his half-smile.

"I'd love to, sweetie. I'm afraid we'd take too long, though!" she said with a seductive grin. "You go ahead. I'm gonna throw some things on and I'll come back up and shower and change before the guests start arriving."

"Suit yourself!" he said shrugging as he stripped and turned the water on. The glass walls of the alcove shower steamed up quickly when he stepped into it, sighing with relief from the cold of the autumn morning.

Dressing in jeans and a T-shirt quickly, Erica came down the stairs and went into the kitchen to a flurry of early morning activity. "Anything I can do to help?" she asked Theresa, the cook.

"No! Nothing, dearie! You just leave everything to me!" Theresa dismissed her with a smile. "I already have most the work done, so I just need room to get the eggs done! You just relax and enjoy the day, dearie!"

Shooed from the kitchen, Erica made her way into the den where Richard sat behind a desk. "Morning, big brother! Happy Thanksgiving!"

"Oh! Morning, Erica. Happy Thanksgiving!" He barely looked up from the papers he was looking at. "Did you need something?"

"No." she replied absently. "Just wondering what you needed me to do is all. I know there's a ton of things that need to be done before this afternoon! How can I help?"

He looked up at her and smiled. "I think we have everything under control. You can just relax and enjoy it! Cook's got the food taken care of, Gregory's making sure everyone else is getting things ready. Maybe you should check with Heather if there's anything she needs help with, if you're so anxious for something to do!"

Erica smiled weakly as she headed out of the den. "Oh. All right. I'll see you later then." The spring in her step faltering, she almost trudged up the stairs before she turned to the master bedroom. Seeing the door open, she peaked in to see Heather at her vanity, wearing a beautiful pale-blue A-line dress. "Good morning, Heather. Happy Thanksgiving?"

"Good morning, Erica!" she smiled. "And Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! Did you need some help getting ready? I can have Franchesca..."

"No! I just wanted to see if there was anything you needed me to do to help is all." She wandered into the room absently, stepping up to the tall posts of the bed and wrapping a hand around it. "I seem to be at loose ends a little! I feel like I should be doing something, anything to help! I know this is a big day!"

Heather stopped getting ready and looked at her soon to be sister-in-law in the mirror and smiled. "Well, I can't think of anything at the moment. Did you ask Richard if he..."

"Yes." she mumbled her interruption, plopping down to sit on the bed. "He sent me to see if you needed anything! And your cook kicked me out of the kitchen! I make really good deviled eggs, too!"

"I have an idea!" Heather brightened. "Why don't you get ready, and then we'll take a walk down by the pond! Just the two of us!"

Sighing, Erica nodded. "Alright. I'd like that, but... and please don't take this the wrong way, Heather... I... I'm beginning to understand how Jack feels. I mean, I get it. There's no way you could run this house yourself, and today would be impossible without help, but... I don't think I could ever get used to living like this all the time! I'd go crazy with nothing to do!"

"I understand!" Heather replied softly. "Imagine how difficult an adjustment it was for me going to Stanford, and then adjusting back after we returned! I just try and focus on my job and making overall decisions for the staff and let them worry about getting it done." She looked off into the distance with a sigh. "Mamma used to say that running a household like this was like being a General in the Army. 'You don't stick your nose in the help's business!' she would say! 'They know better how to get things done than you or I ever will!' I... I wish she were here now."

"That reminds me." Erica changed the subject. "Who is going to walk you down the aisle? Or are you doing it solo?"

"No, your father offered to do the honors." Heather answered. "He and Judith will be here this afternoon and are staying through Monday. I put them up in town, though. I didn't think it would be a good idea to have Jack and Judith around each other any more than necessary!"

"That's probably a good idea!" Erica laughed. "Well, if nobody needs any of my help, I guess I'll go get ready. See you in a bit!" She hugged Heather's shoulders and slowly made her way to their bedroom, bumping into Brooke as she did. "Oh! Good morning, Brooke! Happy Thanksgiving!"

"Yeah. Um... Happy Thanksgiving." Brooke grumbled. "You seen Jack or Rich?"

"Jack's getting dressed, and Richie's down in the den working on something. Heather's in her room getting ready." Erica offered.

"Oh. I'll go see Rich, then." Brooke said before she headed down the stairs. Erica just shrugged and went to go change.

Entering the den, Brooke knocked on the doorway. "You busy?" she asked.

"Yes, but you're going to interrupt me anyway!" Richard joked. "Do you need something to do, too?"

She closed the door behind her and paced the room nervously. "I... um... I think Erica should be Heather's Maid of Honor. After all, Jack's your Best Man, and I'm really not cut out for this sort of thing! I mean, I'm honored that she wants me to, believe me! It's just..."

Richard sat back and nodded. "It's the dress, isn't it? And Erica would be a Matron of Honor. She's married."

"Maid, Matron, whatever! It's not just the dress!" she countered. "I mean, as dresses go, especially bridesmaid's dresses, it's really nice! Not like some of the monstrosities you hear talked about! But... I mean... Rich! I'm just not suited for this! I'm not a girly-girl! I'm supposed to throw Heather a party Friday night, and my idea of a party is not your bridal shower type party! I don't even know what women do at those things!"

"What? You think I do?" he asked incredulously. "Why don't you ask Erica to help? I'm sure she'd..."

"Alright!" Brooke admitted. "It's the dress! The last time I wore a formal was to my Senior Prom and I hated it, Rich! I don't think I can make myself do it! I... I'm just going to have to tell Heather she needs to find another girl! I'll be happy to just sit and watch."

Pursing his lips, Richard stood and set his papers aside. "Come on. Why don't we go talk to her? I'm sure there's something we can do to satisfy you both!"

Erica turned her back to Jack. "Would you zip me up, dear?" she asked.

Showing his half-smile, he pulled the zipper up his wife's back, closing the beautiful green dress in place. Putting his hands on her bare shoulders, the neckline wide and open allowing her shoulder-length curly red hair to just cover her neck, Jack leaned over her shoulder and kissed her cheek. "You look gorgeous, Buttons!"

His wife turned and smiled at him, draping her arms over his shoulders and around his neck. "Thank you, Jack!" She kissed him delicately, making sure not to smudge lipstick on him. "You look very nice, too!" She smoothed his black jacket and straightened his tie slightly. "Shall we?"

The two leaving their room, they made their way downstairs where they saw Richard and Heather, both dressed formally, sitting and talking to Brooke who was lounging in jeans and a T-shirt.

"If I knew casual was an option, I would've gone for that!" Jack muttered.

"Don't worry, Jack." Brooke retorted. "I'll be changing to Class Bs in a bit."

"Speaking of which, Jack." Heather said lightly. "Richard and I would like it if you wore your Dress Blues at the wedding. You did bring them?"

Thinking a moment, he shook his head. "No, I don't think I did, Heather. I'm sorry! You shoulda told me before we left!"

"Good thing I know better." Erica commented. "I packed them, dear!"

Jack wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "What would I ever do without you?" he asked.

"Die alone!" Brooke quipped as she stood and stretched. "Well, I should go get cleaned up. Heather? You said guests will start arriving at noon?" Seeing her nod, she started toward the stairs. "Alright. Be down by then."

Turning to Erica, Heather smiled. "Ready for our walk? I have some things I need to talk to you about." While the two ladies headed for the back door, she started explaining what they'd been talking about when she and Jack had come down. "Brooke was just telling me that she's uncomfortable being my Maid of Honor." Their voices faded as they went outside.

Jack looked at Richard. "So Brooke's out? What? Heather gonna get Buttons to step in for her?"

Shaking his head, Richard clapped his hand on Jack's shoulder and started leading him to the Meeting Room. "Best not to get involved, Jack. I'm sorry I did as much as I did! Come on, let me give you the full tour."

Frank Hargrave drove their rental car in silence, his wife Judith sitting next to him, staring out the window in equal quietude. When he saw a convenient turnoff, still ten miles from Heather's family home, he pulled off the road and slowed to a halt.

"Why did you stop?" she asked. "We're nearly there! I want to see Richard!"

"Before we go one inch further, I wanna make something clear, Judy." he said seriously. "From now on, under no circumstances are you to belittle Jack or their marriage to anyone, especially them! Jack's a fine man! He's a hard worker who's doing right by Erica! Treat him with the respect he's earned!"

"Respect!" she spat. "Some respect! He drags our daughter to some seedy place, in Reno of all places, taking advantage of her childish affections for him, all for a cheap laugh! My baby deserved an honest church wedding, and a man that could afford to give her one!"

"First of all, it was not a seedy place! It was a lovely chapel. You would have known that if you would have deigned to be at your own daughter's wedding! Secondly, if anyone took advantage, it was Erica! She's been wanting that boy for over ten years, and she finally got her hooks in him! She loved her wedding, just the way it was! She would have loved it more with you there!"

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Frank!" Judith shouted at him. "Erica's never been practical when it comes to that boy! You mark my words! She'll be the one supporting that bum!"

"He's not a boy, or a bum, Judy!" her husband retorted with a growl. "He's a man, an honorably discharged Marine, and she loves him!"

"If you had just done what I said and cut off her tuition, she would've come to her senses!" Judith snapped.

"No, she would have quit school and married him anyway!" Frank countered. "Without even her father there to give her away!"

"That's another thing!" she barked. "You blessing this marriage! I just don't understand how you could stand there and watch as she threw her life away! Did you know she could have married Jason Summers? Jason Summers! The boy whose father ran our bank back in Pittsburgh! He begged her to go out with him, but no! You had to encourage Erica to chase down that boy from North Oakland, who couldn't even be bothered taking care of his own dying mother! Just shipped her off to a home! That's our future, Frank!"

Closing his eyes, Frank tried to control his temper. "Look here, Judy. I've put up with your nonsense. You almost celebrated the day Jack nearly died! I almost filed for divorce when you ran off to your sister's because I insisted on paying for his hospital care! You've done nothing since you met him but show contempt for his background! You've tried everything imaginable to throw up walls between he and Erica! Well, get over it! They're married now and nothing you say or do is gonna change that! What happens when they start having kids, Judy? Are you going to forsake your own grandchildren because of their father?"

Judith fumed at the idea of her daughter having Jack's children. "Well, they haven't yet, and if I have anything to say about it..."

"You don't!" he barked at her. "I'm warning you, Judy! If you try and push them apart, it will never work and Erica will never forgive you for it! And if you ruin my chances at seeing my grandchildren, you'll be changing your name back to Rheinhart faster than you can say 'Reno divorce'!"

"It would be worth it!" she quipped. "Besides, once she's married to a nice young man who can actually take proper care of her, she would forget all about her little dalliance and thank me for saving her from her own childish mistakes! It would be a lot easier though if you were at least less supportive! Now, let's get going. Richard's waiting and I don't want to be late!"

"Until you swear to me that you'll keep your lip buttoned about your opinions of Jack, we're going to sit here until Hell freezes over!"

"Never!" she cried. "I won't do it! I'll fight Erica's sham of a marriage with my last breath and you can't stop me!"

"Then we sit here. I'm in no hurry." Frank sat back and closed his eyes.

After several minutes of silence, Judith broke it. "So, are you quite through being ridiculous, Frank?"

"I'm not being ridiculous." he replied calmly, not even opening his eyes. "We don't budge until I hear the words, Judy. You have to swear on your honor to the Lord! That I know you'll keep!"

Ten more minutes passed in silence. Judith considered getting out to walk the rest of the way, but not knowing the address or directions, she could search for days before finding it. Biting her knuckle, she began to realize he would actually sit there and never give in. Jack had been their only serious argument through twenty-seven years of marriage and she couldn't understand why he wouldn't see things her way. That boy's going to ruin her life! Either she'll have to support them both, or he'll drag her down with him into squalor! I have to make her see that!

Formulating a plan, she sighed. "Alright, Frank. Are you done brooding?"

"I'm not brooding." he answered. "I'm waiting."

"Frank!" she whined. "We're already late! Please, dear? For me?"

"I'm not the one keeping us here. You are."

"Oh, you can be so stubborn! Fine! I swear on my honor to the Lord I will not talk down about Jack to anyone at the party!"

"Or at the wedding or reception!" Frank added.

Wincing at him catching on to her loophole, she sighed. "Very well, or at the wedding or reception! Happy now?"

"Or anytime before, after, or between!"

"Frank Hargrave!" she snapped. "You know very well I can't make a promise for things that haven't happened yet! What if he abandons her? Or cheats on her? I'd be bound by that silly promise even if he murdered her! I won't!"

Thinking a moment, he came up with a compromise. "OK, then. For so long as Erica wants him!"

"Alright, fine!" she screamed. "I swear on my honor to the Lord I will keep my peace regarding Jack to anyone so long as Erica wants him!"

Frank looked at her, searching her face for signs of deception or loopholes. Seeing that he'd frustrated her into giving in and certain there were no other loopholes, he started the car and pulled back out onto the highway. "Very well, Judy. On your honor."

Standing in the Meeting Room next to Richard and several of his co-workers, Jack found it eerily similar to how things would be at one of the many parties he and Richard had been invited to when they were in school. He could see the vague look of disdain whenever he spoke or commented on whatever the subject happened to be. The only exception seemed to be Richard's senior boss, the VP of Business Research, Henry Chase. Jack felt at ease talking to the fellow Marine, and found that Henry shared his sense of humor. Seeing him returning with a drink, Jack smiled.

"Welcome back, Hank! Find the good stuff or is that just what Rich put out?"

Laughing, he raised his glass. "Bit of both, Jack! Say, I wanted to ask you. You're still in the reserves, right? Active or inactive?"

"Active." Jack answered honestly. "One more year."

"Good man!" he congratulated him. "So, what do you do outside of that? Your main line, I mean."

"I'm managing a dry-cleaner until my wife finishes college. Then we move to Southern California to be near her and Richard's parents where I plan on opening my own! Maybe grow it into a chain!"

"Speaking of Mom and Dad," Richard interjected. "I wonder what's keeping them? Their plane was supposed to get in over two hours ago."

"Your Mom probably had to wait for Frank to paint the car windows so she wouldn't burst into flames from the sun!" Jack quipped.

Hank laughed as Richard restrained himself from joining in. "Now, Jack. She may be your mother-in-law, but she's still my mother."

"And you have my sincerest condolences on that account, Rich. Speaking of which, I need to find Heather and give her the heads up. Judith will be her mother-in-law Saturday, and she needs a final warning before committing! If you'll excuse me, Rich? Hank?"

Heading to the Great Room where the ladies had gathered, Jack scanned the crowd, seeing Heather talking to the only other person in the room wearing pants besides himself. Making his way through, he smiled. "Heather, if I didn't say it before, I want to say it now. You look beautiful!" He kissed her cheek and turned to Brooke. "Ya' look good, Hathaway! By the way, being serious for just a moment, I really do think you look good in that dress for Saturday. You may hate it, but it loves you!"

Looking down, Brooke tapped her glass. "Thanks, Jack. I... uh... guess you meant that as a compliment, so I'll take it that way. But... um... I... won't be wearing it." She glanced at Heather with an embarrassed smile as she took a gulp of her drink.

He held up his hands. "Didn't mean to get into anything! Just forget I even mentioned it." Looking around the room he asked, "Have either of you seen Buttons recently?"

Brooke shook her head. "Not recently, no. Heather?"

"I think I saw her talking a bit ago with the other ladies in the bridal party." Scanning around the room, she spotted her sitting behind Maya. "There she is Jack! Over in the corner with Maya and Jennifer!"

"Thanks!" Remembering why he came over to her, Jack half-smiled. "Oh! Say, Heather. I... uh... I wanted to give you a heads-up about Richard's mom, Judith."

"I know all about her, Jack." Heather explained. "I think I can handle her!"

"No! You don't understand!" Jack corrected her. "See, she's gonna love you! Nothing like me!"

Heather blinked at Jack in surprise. "Why do you think that? I thought she was difficult to get along with?"

"Oh, to me, she's a monster." he clarified. "But you? You're rich! She's gonna adore you! Not that you don't deserve to be adored, you do, but she wouldn't care if you had three eyes and rode a broom, so long as you have it where it counts, if you know what I mean! Just a friendly warning is all! I'm gonna spend time with my wife! See ya' 'round Heather! Brooke!"

Making his way to Erica, Jack smiled at her. "Hey, beautiful! Just wanted to stop by and see if you'd like to..." He paused when they heard a car pull up the driveway. Glancing out a window, Jack grimaced. "Guess who? Hide your Ruby Slippers, Dorothy! The wicked Witch of the West is here! The upside is Dad drove her. Guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet! Shall we go greet them?" Seeing Erica nod stoically, he started toward the Meeting Room. "I'll run and get Rich."

"Thanks, Jack." she said as she rose and excused herself. Making her way over to Heather, she interrupted the bride and Maid of Honor's conversation. "My folks are here! God, I hope Mom doesn't make a scene today! I'd rather Jack and I leave than embarrass you, Heather!"

"No!" Heather insisted. "This is my home. If she tries to make you or Jack uncomfortable, I'll make it clear it won't be tolerated! OK?" With a breath, she saw the men going to the door, she and Erica moving to meet them there.

After getting out of the car, Judith looked around at the house and grounds. "Frank? Is this the right address?" Seeing Richard and Erica come out the front door to greet them put a smile on her face. "My babies!" she called out, almost running to them.

Richard kept an even expression, but Erica freely let her anger show.

When she and Frank got closer, she noticed the sour expression and slowed; her smile melting. Walking up to them ahead of her husband, she reached out and hugged her son. "Richard! I've missed you!"

"It's good to see you again too, Mom." he said earnestly, if hollowly. While he resented his mother's dislike of Jack, he truly had missed her.

Turning to her daughter, she cleared her throat and held out her arms. "Erica? Won't you hug me hello?"

Looking over at Jack and seeing him nod, she hugged her mother's shoulders quickly and backed away. "Hello, Mother." she stated scathingly.

Heather stepped forward and greeted her with a warm smile. "Welcome to Moore Estates, Mr. and Mrs. Hargrave! I'm Heather and I'm very pleased to finally meet you both!"

While she briefly hugged Judith hello, Frank came up and shook Richard's hand. "Good to see you again, son! How's life on the Outside treating you?"

"Can't complain!" he smiled. "Dad? I want you to officially meet Heather! I know you met her briefly at Erica's wedding." He glanced at his mother, who just turned her head away. "You had to go so soon though, I never really got the chance to properly introduce her to you!"

Heather hugged him hello warmly. "It's good to see you again, Mr. Hargrave! I'm sorry we never got the chance to be formally introduced in March!"

"Better late then never, I say!" he said returning the affection. Stepping back, he looked at Jack who stood behind his son, his face an expressionless mask. "Jack? Good to see you, too!" He reached out as Richard moved out of the way and they shook hands and hugged genuinely. Turning to his wife, Frank growled. "Judy?"

She walked up to Jack and held her hand out. "Jack. You look well."

Tentatively, he took her hand and shook it once before letting it go. "Judith." was all his anger would let him say. He wasn't so much angry with her for how she treated him, but for snubbing Erica's wedding and hurting her.

Heather broke the awkward moment. "Well, shall we go in? It's a little cool out to be standing around outside!"

While everyone else went in, Jack and Erica going in last, Jack lowered his voice so only Erica could hear. "It did feel a bit frosty out, but then The Ice Queen went inside! I wonder who'll win? Her or the giant fireplace?"

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

lots of family drama

Judith sounds like a piece of work. hopefully she behaves

DogSig.png

Judith

RobertaME's picture

That's the exact same reaction a reader gave back in Chapter 3... a real piece of work. Frank wormed out a promise for her to butt out and stop trying to force Erica and Jack apart at least. We'll see how well (or how long) she can keep it.

Thanks for the comments!
::huggles::
Roberta

Something tellls me Judith

Something tellls me Judith isn't going to just give up, she may quit needling Jack but I bet she starts triying to connive a way to get Erica upset with Jack. It will be fun to see Jack make a success of himself and Judith would have to eat her words.

Something tellls me Judith

Something tellls me Judith isn't going to just give up, she may quit needling Jack but I bet she starts triying to connive a way to get Erica upset with Jack. It will be fun to see Jack make a success of himself and Judith would have to eat her words.

Ice queen, nail on head

Jamie Lee's picture

Brooke has never been comfortable around money, or rubbing elbows with money. She can't get out of her comfort zone even to help with someone's important day. She might have helped if she'd been allowed to wear her class A's, but not a dress.

Judith is not allowed to say who Erica marries or what her husband does for a living. Erica's heart is for Jack and only Jack, despite what Judith thinks or wants.

What Judith hasn't figured out is that Erica is willing to be with Jack no matter what job he holds, because she loves him, and not the job he holds. Judith doesn't understand how deep true love runs when two people have it for each other.

Her plans to try and break up Erica and Jack is doomed to failure, and lose her any contact with her daughter. And maybe her son when Rich learns what she tried to do. She's also going to need to find a job of her own after Frank divorces her for what she tried.

Others have feelings too.