Epilogue

Printer-friendly version

Link: The Road to Hell Title Page and Description

--

Joss sighed as he worked on the commission painting. Knowing it needed to be delivered within two weeks, he wanted it done that day so the oils had time to dry. Smiling as he shook his head, he continued to add details to the dog's ears. Four years and a double degree and I'm using it to paint a rich woman's dead Airedale! he chuckled to himself.

Taking a break, he stretched his back and exhaled just as he heard the bell ring, indicating someone had entered Paintings and Portraits, the unoriginal name of his business. In the three years following college, he'd worked for an advertising company doing graphic design, saving all his money to open his shop. He still did freelance work for them when business was slow, but painting was his true passion. He'd opened a little more than a year earlier, just a few months after he'd turned twenty-five. He enjoyed the free time it gave him to paint his own works and loved the joy he saw on people's faces when they saw their own classic portrait done so well.

Getting off his stool, he checked himself in the mirror before going to greet whoever had come into the shop. His shoulder-length light brown hair was still mostly styled well from that morning, though the man's red flannel shirt he wore over the plain white woman's tank top was stained with oil paint in a thousand places and his jeans were equally spattered with color. He still looked like a woman, nothing would change that short of massive amounts of plastic surgery he was hesitant to do solely for his vanity, but at least he was content to be himself, even if most people assumed he was a woman.

That fact helped Joss more than he liked to admit. When dealing with clients, them taking him to be a woman had given him opportunities he never would have had as a man. Some of his best clients were women who felt ill at ease around men, but Joss's feminine nature and appearance opened their doors, and wallets, to his business. His actual masculinity helped in those rare cases when the opposite was true, giving him options that he never could have had as strictly one or the other.

Walking out front, he entered his commercial gallery filled with dozens of his paintings on display. Many were landscapes that he sold most frequently, but he also had portraits on display to advertise his skill in that area. Seeing the skinny young woman with her back to him admiring his duplication of da Vinci's The Last Supper, he smiled and cleared his throat.

The young woman, startled by his sudden appearance, jumped slightly and turned around to face him, her long pale-blonde hair spinning in front of her bright blue eyes before it fell over her right shoulder. "Oh! You startled me! Do you work here?" she asked, before realizing how dumb the question was.

Laughing, he nodded. "Yes! I'm Joss. Interested in a painting or a portrait?"

"Painting." she answered, looking at him carefully. "I... um... I just moved in near here. The walls are a little bare! Not sure why I came in here... I was just sorta drawn to the place. It's nice!" Looking at him curiously, she tilted her head. "You said your name is Joss?"

"Joss Wright." he looked down. "Have anything particular in mind, Miss..."

"Healy." she said, sounding disappointed. "Sorry, I just thought for a moment that you were someone I knew once, but his name was..."

"Jennifer?" he asked in shock.

"No, Jocelyn." his first love answered. Slowly realizing he was addressing her, she arched her brows. "Wait... what? Oh yes! I'm Jennifer! How did..." Examining him carefully, her eyes went wide. "Jocelyn?"

Turning away, he cleared his throat. "Actually it's just Joss now. I changed my name... among other things. How are Vicky and John?"

Running up to him, she wrapped him in a desperate embrace, barely keeping her tears at bay. "My God, Joss! I didn't think I'd ever see you again!"

Holding her in return, he instantly recalled the scent of her, inhaling deeply and releasing a flood of memories, some terrible, others wonderful.

Jennifer stood back and looked at him, her eyes in shock at what she saw, but her hand still holding his. "Mom and Dad are fine! They're still in Akron with Luke. What happened to you, Joss?" she asked curiously.

"Long story." he smiled at her, his feminine voice lilting. "Got a few hours?"

Giggling as feelings for him resurfaced rapidly, she found herself blushing. "Um... not now, I'm just on lunch, but... are you busy for dinner?" Thinking, she remembered the last time they'd spoken, over ten years earlier, he'd found someone else. "That is, if you're available?" she probed, looking at the floor.

Smiling at her kindly, his own attraction for Jennifer back as though it had never gone, Joss nodded. "I'm free, Jenn. Are you?" Seeing the young woman nod her head slowly and smile back, he watched as she fished a necklace out from within her top and played with the chain.

"I'm available." she said wistfully, glancing down to smile at the gold cross he wore that Judy had given him, before gazing into his eyes once more. "See, once upon a time, long ago, there was this girl I knew. We fell in love and I never really got over it. No one could ever measure up to him."

Joss stared at the gift he'd given her so long ago, the two birthstones set one against the other, and felt lightheaded. "Together Forever."

"Together Forever." she sighed back as she looked at their joined hands and noticed that she hadn't let him go. I don't think I ever really did!

--

If you have enjoyed this story, I would ask that you pay a small amount for the entertainment it has provided you. Nothing worthwhile in life is free. A one-time donation of $5 to the site makes it cost less than most paperbacks. Even if you regularly donate, this is the price I ask you to pay to see to it that this and stories like it can remain available.

Thank you and may God bless,
Roberta Elder

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Done

RobertaME's picture

This concludes my posting of stories for the time being. At this time I do not intend to post up by chapter my fictionalized autobiography, For God So Loved the World... until I have a chance to go over and edit it better. (it's not bad, but it drags in some places)

In the interim, I'll be working to finish my next story, Silver Lining... a true-to-life western set in the latter half of the 19th century in the State of Nevada. (my home State) It is the most deeply researched story I've ever written. I've spent thousands of hours combing through archived newspapers of the era, reading contemporary accounts of the places and times it's set in, searching through census data, birth, marriage, and death records, and even found historical photos and art that will be published with each chapter. It's a labor of love that is unlike any other story I've written or even read.

While it is fictional, the setting is not... using real places, businesses, and people that were well known public figures of that time to give the story an immersive quality that makes it hard to tell where the fiction ends and history begins. It is currently about 60% complete and, with luck and no disasters, should be done and begin being posted sometime in May or June.

I will try to check in every few days to stay up on comments, but for the time being... I hope you all have enjoyed my contributions to this wonderful little corner of the internet. Remember to help support it so it stays here.

Hugs,
Roberta

Great story

This was a great story! The angst of Joss was fascinatingly portrayed as horrible yet served to strengthen him. I'm looking forward to more of your stories!

Waiting patiently until then

Jennifer Sue

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

a good life

at peace, and now his love back in his life.

As good an ending as could be hoped for.

DogSig.png

Than You

And God Bless!

I'm truly glad she turned up again.

bev_1.jpg

Terrific story

Very glad you created and shared it here.

Wonderful story

Jamie Lee's picture

Joss finally got to do what he loved to do, and made a living at it.

With Jen coming back into his life, it makes sense why she had to be out of his life for so long. They weren't ready to be together because Joss wasn't ready yet.

Still being under Melanie's thumb, and not having stood up for himself or accepted himself, that had to be accomplished before Jen could return.

Neither had stopped loving the other. Both had experienced suicide and survived, something they both needed to be helped deal with.

A reader can't just read this story without questioning the motives behind everything that Joss encountered. Melanie's actions also caused personal reflections into how the reader treats others, hoping others are accepted for who they are and not because of their looks.

This is an enjoyable story to read, if hard at places. It feels incomplete, though, because the reason for Melanie's actions weren't even explored.

Others have feelings too.

Melanie's Motivations

RobertaME's picture

I know in some ways Melanie's motivations lack depth of explanation, but as it is the novel is almost 130,000 words long. That's pushing the line for story length of what readers will find tolerable to commit to. I know others have written longer stories, (I'm looking at you, Angharad!) but they're the exception, not the rule. (that and I don't have that kind of time available being a full-time mother and housewife!)

Writing for me is hard. It's an arduous process of writing a snippet here and then jumping to write another snippet from 2 chapters earlier... then fixing it all to make a cohesive story after the fact. That's why I can't start publishing a story before it's compete. My head is geared toward numbers. I can do calculus literally in my sleep and without even thinking through the equation... it just comes easily to me. Words by comparison are a mess. This comment took almost an hour to write and it's only a few paragraphs.

Melanie's motivations are deeply rooted in the way she was raised and what she did with that as an adult. Her mother was harsh and intolerant of anything that she didn't personally agree with. That made Melanie want to be different, but she fell into the trap of thinking that it was her mother's conservative ideology that made her so impossible to get along with, so all she changed was her ideology without changing the real problem... an underlying intolerance toward those with differing viewpoints. Melanie became just like her own mother. Even if I had the time though, I wouldn't write Melanie's story. It doesn't have a happy ending. :^/

Hope you enjoyed my stories and I'll be back soon with my next one!

Hugs,
Roberta

I agree fantastic story

But the epilogue open up new questions. It is fantastic that Joss and Jenn got back together. However, will Joss go more feminine for Jenn? Has What kind of contact has Joss has with his father. In chapter 28 it is hinted that his father wants to get to know his son?

Roberta, I know how it is with writing. Myself I will work on one story for a while then stop for months and work on another one.

What Happens Next

RobertaME's picture

I left the Epilogue open-ended so that each reader could "finish the story" however they liked.

Does Joss embrace being a woman for Jennifer? Some readers would like the idea of Joss finally learning that he likes being a woman and, with Jennifer's support, finishes what 'her' parents started... others wouldn't care for that. Still others might see his relationship with Jennifer never working out because she's a lesbian and he isn't a woman at heart, and he ends up with someone else entirely. (Tracy maybe? How about David?)

What kind of relationship does Joss have with his father Fred? Some readers would like to see Fred divorcing Melanie and becoming heavily involved in his life. Others might even see him becoming involved with Judy, his son's adopted mother. Still others might see him bringing Melanie around and redeeming her. (my personal favorite... but then I'm a sucker for a good redemption story)

Then there is the question of Joss's relationship with Pastor Roberts... Hank and Joyce Edwards... Tracy and David Edwards... etc. What about Grace? Was his vision just an illusion or is she really his guardian angel now? I left a lot of that open-ended so the reader can imagine it however they like.

So the only answer I can give is... the rest of the story is whatever you make of it. If it entertained and made you think, it served its purpose. ;^)

Hugs,
Roberta

Jennifer and Joss

Dee Sylvan's picture

That was an awfully painful 10ish years to get back with his first love. Painful for both of them. Delightful story, thanks for sharing. I can't wait for your next!

DeeDee

Painful

RobertaME's picture

Joss's journey was hard... but then no harder than the one many of us had to endure... and in many cases significantly easier. He was never assaulted... he was never raped or molested... he was never beaten by either his parents or peers... he only really had a few kids in Middle School who gave him a hard time about transitioning... he retained the ability to have his own children later in life... he became a successful artist... and the only bigotry he faced was from a few ineffectual idiots.

In a lot of ways this was less "The Road to Hell" and more "The Road to Severe Discomfort". So many people have it so much harder... many of them read this story.

First World Problems.

I had to bite my tongue (or is that my typing fingers? :^Þ ) several times when you kept asking about Jennifer! ::giggle:: I had a secret smile on my lips every time!

I am glad you enjoyed the story though and hope you will enjoy my next one as well! (making good progress there)

Hugs,
Roberta

I did enjoy it

Dee Sylvan's picture

I don't think I have ever commented on a story as much as I did this one. The story sucked me in. I don't know if I would have kept reading except for the fact you said you were finished and would post consistently. I don't understand why some authors post a story that they haven't finished. It's hard for me to invest in an unfinished work. If you were to recommend another story of yours to read, which would suggest I start with?

DeeDee

Recommended Stories

RobertaME's picture

It's tough to say. Given your comments on this story I think you might like The Wisher's Paradox if you haven't read it before. The Lost Faith series are the only other completely posted stories I have here. My only other complete story is For God So Loved the World..., which isn't posted in chapter form here, but you can download the PDF version.

Unfortunately, those are all the stories I have complete at the moment. (I don't post stories until they're done... I can't do it any other way due to the way I write)

If you comment on the other stories, I'll respond if needed. (I monitor their activity)

Hugs,
Roberta

Just finished almost 48h

LORa's picture

Just finished almost 48h maraphone of reading with short breakes for sleep, food and work.
I`m not very emotional (almost nothing can make me drop few tears...mb except Boromir`s death in FotR - nothing can do with this), but cried again and again on ch.22-24, and still feeling totally devastated.

But got few questions:
- Why Joss didn`t even think about escape away from parents?

- It's a little strange for me that after the Josh`s suicide attempt, no one remembered Healys to try contact them. Especially the pastor Roberts and... even Grace:

>> "You weren't alone, Joss!" Grace said with a hint of irritation. "You can't lie to me! Even if you lie to yourself, I can see you! Mom was there, and Tracy and David, Karen and Lucy, Pastor Roberts, even Officer Nelson."

I'm not sure how to take Josh's conversation with Grace (was it real or just near-death thoughts), but why didn't she (or her projection in Josh's memory) remind Josh that someone he knows has already tried to commit suicide? And about promise Josh asked Jenny for? ( Jenn, please don't ever do anything like that again! If you died, I'd die too! You have to promise me!). Out of sight, out of mind?

And than mr. Roberts. He knew about Josh`s feelings to Jenny and how Josh took news about her. Wouldn't it be a good idea to call Jenny or Vicky to fight Josh's depression?

- If Peter hadn't hit us, I'd of died in a year anyway from cancer, and a year from now would be too late for you.
don`t understand "too late" for what?

And yet, after all, I`m happy to say this isn`t the Road to Hell.
(or I dont` take get it correctly again :) - eng isn`t my native language) "To Hell" sounds like there's no turn, nothing further. But Joss passed thrugh this.

Thanks for Story, Roberta.

Questions

RobertaME's picture

"Why Joss didn't even think about escape away from parents?"

That's an excellent question. In point of fact, he did think of that. In Chapter 3 - A Girl's Reputation Josh says,

"Honestly, it's not like I asked for any of this to happen! If I could see a way out of it, I'd take it in a heartbeat! Right now the only way out I see is turning eighteen and running for the hills!"

And again in Chapter 27 - You Can Never Go Home Again he said,

"[I want to g]o back in time six years and run away from home!"

He did want to escape what was happening to him, but at the same time he truly did love his parents. He was also suffering under a condition known as 'learned helplessness'... he felt powerless to do anything; that even running away wouldn't get him out of the situation he was in. (runaways in the US are almost always returned to their parents or guardians unless evidence of abuse is apparent)

"It's a little strange for me that after the Josh's suicide attempt, no one remembered Healys to try contact them."

The only ones who knew where the Healys moved to was Joss and Pastor Roberts, and only Joss had done the research to track them down to a specific address and phone number. Dr. Benson would have no reason to track them down since the people he had immediately available could corroborate the information in Joss's suicide email, (Joss's parents would happily brag about throwing the Healys out) so getting info from the Healys wouldn't add to his analysis of Joss's mental stability. Everyone else involved (Pastor Roberts, the Edwards, Judy, or Joss's parents) would have no reason to search for the Healys. Why reach out to a family that has already been through this once before? What good would it do? What could they add to the situation?

"why didn't she ... remind Josh that someone he knows has already tried to commit suicide? And about promise Josh asked Jenny for? ... Out of sight, out of mind?"

Grace wouldn't need to remind Joss of it. He knew. Even as he was popping pills, he read the letter Jenny sent him just before she made her attempt saying exactly why she was going to do it. He also never promised her that he wouldn't do it... he only extracted that promise from Jenny... and she didn't reciprocate.

"And than mr. Roberts. He knew about Josh's feelings to Jenny and how Josh took news about her. Wouldn't it be a good idea to call Jenny or Vicky to fight Josh's depression?"

If you mean after Joss went to live with Pastor Roberts, Joss only stayed with him 2-3 weeks before he left to go live with the Edwards family... and he only started getting seriously depressed after moving to the Edwards house. By the time the Pastor knew about Joss's depression, he was back on HRT and recovering... and going back on HRT created a rift between the two and they stopped communicating for a while.

"don't understand "too late" for what?"

That was sort of left to the reader to fill in for themselves, but what I had in mind is that it would have been too late to put him on the right path to his "happy ending" with Jennifer.

If the accident had never happened, Grace would have started getting sick soon after Prom... and Joss would have still been stuck living with his parents as Jocelyn for the next year as he watched her slowly die. Finishing High School as Jocelyn and then losing Grace to cancer, he would have never tried to commit suicide, (she would have made him promise to move on and not give up) which means he would have never broken his 'learned helplessness', never pushed himself to get into Art School, and just drifted through life without ever finding peace with himself and never reconnecting with Jennifer.

That or any number of scenarios could have taken place... but he wouldn't have ended up as Judy's adopted son and his entire life thereafter would be different. He wouldn't get his "happy ending" with Jenny.

"And yet, after all, I'm happy to say this isn't the Road to Hell. (or I dont' take get it correctly again :) - eng isn't my native language)"

"The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions." is an English idiom. It refers to the idea that just because you mean well doesn't mean the end result will be good. Good intentions aren't enough... you have to think things through and ask, "What could go wrong if I do this?" The book title is taken from that as there are many examples of this throughout the story:

  • Josh's parents had "the best of intentions" in making Joss 'accept' being TG... but the end result was nearly causing his death and losing him as their child.
  • Tracy had "the best of intentions" when she tried to make Joss dress like a girl for the first time... but ended up ruining their friendship.
  • Jennifer's parents had "the best of intentions" when they forced a confrontation with Joss's parents... but ended up nearly making their daughter kill herself.
  • Grace had "the best of intentions" when she tried to pretend to be interested in her blind date for her grandmother... only to very nearly ruin her relationship with Joss.
  • Pastor Roberts had "the best of intentions" when he tried to force the congregation to accept Joss as a boy... only to make it so he couldn't go anymore.

All of these situations were well meaning, but invariably backfired because they were all actions made under a false premise. In each case the person thought they were doing the right thing, but failed to account for the possibility that something bad might happen if their base assumptions were wrong.

You can also look at it from the aspect that Joss actually did descend into a kind of 'living hell'... but was able to escape, so the book title has a sort of double meaning.

Thank you so much for your compliments and interest in my story! ::blush:: It was a difficult journey, but one that I think needed to be told.

Hugs,
Roberta

Nice story

And I definitely enjoyed the ending. I will send me $5 plus a bit more. Thank you

Brilliant Story

stephanie_babe's picture

This story had me in tears alot and it actually made me depressed cause i get too much into liking the character and i feel their pain and it really hurt me, i was crying for few days but at the end of the story where Josh/Joss got their happy ending made me smile, but I'm worried about Judy tho, it was like Joss was going back and forth with 2 girls, Jennifer then Grace R.I.P to her then back to Jennifer and he told Judy he Will never stop loving Grace so i wonder how Judy will feel about Joss getting back with Jennifer, but i glad that Joss is happy and got a happy ending, and now i know where the story is going i might go back and read it all again but this time i HOPE no crying cause i know wat happens, so thanks for this beautiful story

S.Reacts

So Epically Lovely

Heart wrenching and emotional and I loved it. I hope that you are still writing here.

Gwen