[NewTerra] Shedding Skin

Printer-friendly version

"Nervous?" Antje asked as they lined up at the check-in counter.

"Nervous? Why would I be?" Kai asked. "Maybe because I am taking an expensive flight to a faraway country? Paid for by a friend I haven't seen in years. Leaving everything behind of my old life. No, why would I be nervous?"

"You know, we talked about sarcasm," Antje remarked as they shuffled a few steps forward as the line moved. "It is an-"

"An unhealthy coping mechanism," Kai interrupted. "I know. I know."

"As is interrupting people," Antje added.

Of course, she had to point it out. It was her job after all. Though, by now, she was more than just his mandatory therapist. She had become a good friend as well. They were so close, he often wondered if this is how it felt if you had a sibling. Not that Kai knew so himself. His parents had thought one child was enough.

"So, how do you know him, again?" Antje asked. "Your friend. What was his name?"

"Björn." Kai was very well aware that Antje knew it. And every other detail. It was her way to keep him talking and calm his nerves. "I have known him since childhood. Best friend since third grade. We lost touch shortly after graduation. Spoke a few times through the internet. Left messages. Things like that. Can't even remember when that stopped."

"You moved away?"

"He moved away," Kai corrected. And he knew that Antje knew as well. Asking the wrong question was yet another trick of hers to keep him talking. "His great-uncle died. Came as a surprise to him. No one in his family knew the great-uncle even existed. Or that he knew of Björn or his family. But he inherited that fish farm up in one of the Neo-Norwegian prefectures. Björn moved up there and‐ Well, he built a new life there. Looks quite happy by the looks of the few pictures he uploaded."

More than a few. Kai wouldn't admit it aloud - especially to Antje - but he was jealous. While his own life was more and more consumed by office humdrum, heavy workloads, and overtime, he witnessed Björn living his dream from afar. The freedom, the financial security, and even his friends dating life. It made Kai jealous. It had been him who slowly broke off contact. Fearing his jealousy would seep through his sparse communication with his old friend.

"Looks like he hadn't forgotten about you," Antje said with a heartfelt smile.

Like the rest of them. Friends. Co-workers. Even his parents. He had pushed them all away when he needed them the most. When his many trappings caught up and burnout swallowed him whole. Three years he had spent in therapy. Getting better in a state-funded clinic. The first few cordial visits tethered off quickly. Kai couldn't really blame them. Each visit had been depressing for both parties involved.

"It will be good catching up," Kai admitted. He did look forward to it. Despite being quite scary to leave everything behind. "Thanks for coming with me and dropping me off."

Antje's smile renewed. "I had to."

She didn't. For nearly two and a half years she had been responsible for him. Making sure that he got better. Or survived. Kai was still bemused that they had put him on suicide watch. The thought hadn't even crossed his mind in his darkest hours. Yet, he couldn't blame them. By the time he was committed, he barely took care of himself anymore. Having lost a lot of weight in the few weeks prior.

"It's what friends do," Antje added. "Ah. It is our turn."

She walked over to the counter that just freed up. Kai needed a moment to catch up as tears threatened to flow freely. Friends indeed. And for all the bad he endured in the last few years, having met Antje made it nearly worth it.


"Kai! Good to see you."

They had barely left the airport when they were spotted by Björn. He was coming towards them fast and Kai's mind raced how he should greet someone once close, but now a stranger for years. However, Björn had no such qualms and pulled Kai into a bear hug that earned its name.

It was surprisingly stunning. Kai just didn't know how to react except to give a tentative hug back. Hopefully, Björn didn't mind how gross Kai was right now. A twelve-hour flight and some small bouts of fright and doubt had left him a sweaty mess.

"Good to see you too," Kai awkwardly repeated as Björn let him go. "You look good."

Surprisingly fit and healthy. Kai had seen the pictures, but in person, the transformation was more visceral. Gone was the lanky youth that Kai had known. Björn had packed on mass. Not fat. Muscle. Yet he didn't look like a bodybuilder. More the kind of guy that did hard work and earned their body the natural way.

"And you must be Antje," Björn said before taking her in an equally big hug. "Kai told me a lot about you."

A lot? Surely he hadn't been talking that much about her. Kai's anxiety spiked in a heartbeat. Had he? Maybe. Hopefully, Kai hadn't given the wrong impression. Antje and him- They were just friends. Kai didn't even want more from her. Relationships complicate things. And he just didn't see Antje in that way. She felt like a sister.

"Thank you for helping to pick Kai back up. He needed a break and someone to be there for him," Björn continued and Kai's spiked heartbeat and anxiety slowly receded. "I am grateful for it."

"No need to thank me," Antje replied. She actually looked flustered a little. "I got a good friend out of it, so I'll say it was time well spent."

"Speaking of picking up-" Björn pointed behind him. "My van is back there. Load up and hit the road?"

"Sure." Kai even managed a fragile smile.

Pulling his baggage towards the van, Kai felt another spike of anxiety come. Antje would only be staying for a few days and she had packed more than him. There just wasn't that much left of his life. He hadn't even been there when his apartment had been cleared out. A few pieces had been stored at his parent's house. Not that he had bothered to even retrieve it. Just a few outfits. Most of them were new. Neo-Norwegian promised to be a bit colder in the winter than Kai was used to.

The drive back to the farm could have been awkward, but Björn had a talent for keeping the conversation going. He was better at it than even Antje whose job was to get people to open up. There wasn't much catching up to do. Instead, Björn pointed out local highlights as they drove by. Peppering in anecdotes and funny tales. Even local folklore. But it wasn't just Björn talking. He managed to engage Kai and Antje. Making them tell things in return that was surprising to Kai. After the five-hour drive, he just was about to pick up hiking and thinking it was a good idea too. Even though he hated hiking since childhood.

"There we are," Björn said as he stopped the van on a hill that overlooked a whole fjord. It was the first sign of civilization in an hour. Even the road had changed to dirt a while back. Björn looked to be proud of the few houses that lined one side of the fjord.

Kai always dreamed of owning a house. And seeing nearly a dozen was impressive. A pang of envy flashed through Kai, but he ignored it. "Looks nice. Picturesque. And you own all these buildings?"

Björn gave a wild grin. "I own the whole fjord and everything in it." He sank into his seat with a wistful smile. "Sometimes, I still can't believe it. A whole fjord. Still feels unreal now and then. Like a dream, I get to live in. Makes me afraid to wake up." It only took a moment for Björn to recover and then put the van back into gear. "Come on. Let's get you down there. I have a cabin for each of you. A tour can wait until tomorrow. After the long flight and drive, I bet you'll desire a shower and a bed."

Kai nodded. Fatigue had settled into his bones for some time now. He simply couldn't go as long anymore as when he was younger.

Antje was more vocal about it. "You can bet your ass on that one." It earned her a laugh from both of them.


It was cold, but Kai didn't mind one bit. Despite the temperature, the sky was clear and the sun was out. He sat on the pier and in one of the lawn chairs Björn had placed. Leaning back and now and then taking a sip. It was peaceful. The gentle lapping of the waves at the piers wood had a calming influence. It had the quality of a lullaby. It already had claimed Antje who took a nap on a lounge chair nearby. So far, Kai resisted.

Steps alerted him that someone was coming and Kai spied Björn making his way onto the pier. Past the many small row- or motorboats. Nothing bigger was needed. The whole fjord had been cut off with a submerged fence that kept Björn fish in. A good thing, as the oceans of New Terra, were a little more dangerous than those of old Earth.

Björn waited until he took a seat and a beer before he spoke up. "How are you doing? Everything good?"

Kai leaned back and enjoyed the sun for a few seconds. "Yeah. Great actually. I don't remember when I could last just- Let things be, you know? To enjoy the moment. No meetings scheduled. Deadlines to make." Kai hesitated to continue but decided to push through. Björn and he had been good friends once. If he wanted to rekindle it, he couldn't push him away like all the others. "Didn't have those in the institute either. But there, it was all by the plan. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner all by this and that hour. Therapy at that time. Walk in the yard only at other times. It was surprisingly right. But here- You lucked out Björn."

"Yeah." Björn took a swig of beer. "But it can be lonely too. Not much work in winter, so my seasonal workers leave. For the first few years, I didn't know anybody. Made it hard, you know? But now, I've got you here. I am glad to share this with you. Especially if it helps."

"I think it does," Kai confirmed. Taking a few more moments to enjoy the view. Then he couldn't help but snicker. "Are you sure you can take a break Björn? Looks like the local wildlife is out to rob you." He pointed with his beer bottle at a few seals that climbed over the mostly submerged fence."

"Ah, the locals," Björn replied and leaned back. "I have an understanding with them." He leaned over and whispered in a conspiratorial tone. "Probably Selkies too."

"What are Selkies?" Kai had to ask.

"Ah, right. Sorry." Björn took another swig before leaning over again. "Everyone here knows about Selkies. Local legend and folklore. Old too. Goes even back to old Earth. Up and down there are variations of the legend. Even over in eastern Scotland. Here, they tell it like this. There was once a sad fisherman because he was so lonely-"

"Are you talking about the legend or yourself?" Kai jibes. Earning himself a laugh from Björn.

"One day the fisherman walked along the coast and saw a beautiful maiden sitting at the beach. But when he came closer, the woman fled. But not anywhere, but the open sea. It became a regular occurrence and even from afar, the fisherman fell in love. Now here is the thing, one day the fisherman arrived early, and what he saw changed everything. He saw a seal arrive at the shores. Its skin split open and the woman emerged."

"The seals have were-woman?" Kai asked. "That's the story?"

"Well, it's not by moonlight, so no." If Björn was miffed by Kai's doubt, then at least he didn't show it. "Anyway. One morning the fisherman snuck up to where the Selkie had shed her skin. He stole it and hid it away. When the Selkie tried to return to the ocean, she was saddened beyond comparison as she could find her seal skin."

"What a scummy thing to do," Kai interrupted. "I mean, it is folklore, right? That's more or less how folklore goes, but still. That dude was an asshole."

"Quite so," Björn agreed. "And it got worse. You see, it was then that the fisherman showed up. With nowhere to run, Selkie let him approach. The man confessed his love and offered his help. Vowing to give her shelter until she found her skin again."

"That can't end well," Kai mused. "Lies are a poor foundation to build on."

"Indeed. But we are talking about folklore here. With nowhere else to go, she accepted. Months passed by and then years. And along the way, she fell in love too. But as you guessed, this was not the happy end the man expected. One day the Selkie, by then his wife, looked through his shed in search of something. Instead, she found her skin. She was heartbroken. How could a man she thought she loved and who professed his love to her, betray her like that? She ran to the ocean. To be finally free again. On her way, the fisherman saw and ran after her. He was too slow. But as the Selkie stood in the surf and slipped back on her skin, she cursed him with bad luck for seven years. And then, she was never seen again."

"She should have drowned his ass," Kai said with gusto. As Björn looked a bit shocked, Kai doubled down. "I mean, he denied her, her true self, right? For him, it was the beauty of her human body. Probably not even her mind. And then lie to her for years. If I'd been the Selkie, I would have drowned him for sure. Dragged him to the bottom of the ocean where he could rot."

Björn actually shrugged and leaned back. "Well, you aren't that far off track. I did say there were variations. In some, she does indeed drown his ass. In others, they fall in love first and the man grows jealous of her love for the sea. Other variants have him as a woodsman and not a fisherman. You get the gist."

"Nice dark story you got there," Kai laughed. "But I am not buying that you have magical seals on your front porch that transform into beautiful gorgeous maidens."

Björn joined in with a chuckle. "Yeah, I thought you wouldn't. But it'd be nice if it would be true right?"

"Sure. Women!" Kai gestured all over the fjord with his beer bottle. "Naked women everywhere! What's not to love?"

"Where are naked women?" The question came from Antje who rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"Oh, Björn just told me about the magical seals he has as neighbors," Kai explained. "Along with a nice creepy story."

"You've got Selkies here?" Antje asked.

"I was joking," Björn hastened to say. "Local folklore. Nothing more."

There was that knowing smile on Björn's face that Kai recognized. He hadn't seen it since their teenage days, but he was sure. Either Björn was concealing something or he planned a prank. Kai guessed the latter one.

"Well, I can trump Selkies," Kai admitted. "But I've got cold beer if you want."

"Not saying no to that," Antje said with a grin and took the offered bottle.

Just then, they heard the loud calls of a seal. Bobbing up and down near the submerged fence. "Looks like that's my call to work," Björn said while standing up from his chair. "She probably spotted a hole in the net. Told you it is nice to have them around."

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah." Kai waved him on with a grin. "Go to your girlfriend. But I am telling you if you make out with a seal I am dragging you back to the house. For your own good."

Björn didn't reply. Just shaking his head while grinning and heading off.

"Are you always ribbing each other like that?" Antje asked.

"Pretty much." Kai leaned back and took another swig. Only to notice the bottle was empty. The temptation was there to go for another, but he decided against it. He probably had enough. "Feels good, though. Hasn't changed a bit. Don't worry. I'll probably be the butt of a joke or the victim of a prank by him soon enough. Give and take. That's how our friendship always worked."

Mirth colored Antje's face. "That's how it should be."


"You'll write to me," Antje demanded. They stood outside on the driveway. Björn was getting the van.

"Of course," Kai promised. "And the internet isn't that bad between here and home. Who knows, I might even spring for a holo-call."

"Sure. Maybe get a job first?" Antje suggested. "So you can actually afford it."

"It's on my bucket list," Kai confirmed.

"Just- Don't overdo it, okay? Take it slow. Don't jump in heads over heels."

"I've learned my lesson. Promise."

Just then, Björn stopped beside them with the van. "I should be back before sundown," he remarked as he helped Antje load her baggage.

"I'll hold the fort," Kai assured him. "Well. The house too. The fjord. The peer-"

"The beer," Antje added without missing a beat. Prompting laughter from the two men. They were definitely rubbing off on her.

The last few days had been relaxing. But they also went by fast. Now, Antje would return home. Kai wondered when he would. Or even if. Right now, there was nothing there except Antje. He didn't even have much contact with his parents right now.

After a few heartfelt goodbyes and way too much hugging, Kai waved as they drove off. He knew they would stay in contact, yet it felt as if one more string tying him down to his past had just snapped. With a sigh, Kai walked to the main house. His own cabin had a small kitchen, but it wasn't stocked. In the last few days, they had preferred to eat all together.

Maybe a snack might be good before heading out to the peer. Kai felt a bit peckish. Fishing could take a while. Even when dangling your line smack in the middle of a fish farm. However, all thoughts about fish and their demise vanished, as Kai walked into the kitchen.

A naked butt greeted him. It belonged to a woman, equally naked, who rummaged through the fridge. Before Kai had even the time to blush, the woman turned around. A half-eaten pickle in her mouth.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to-" Then it dawned on Kai. "Let me guess, you are supposed to be a Selkie?"

"Oh, hi. Björn told you about us?" She turned around. Not even bothered the slightest that she was naked.

"Oh, I know all about you." Kai grinned and shook his head. "A Selkie. As if. I mean, don't get me wrong, you are a beautiful woman, but it takes a bit more to fool old me. If Björn wants to prank me, he has to do better."

"Prank?" the woman asked, but then straightened up. "Right. Prank. Totally."

Somewhere, Kai had seen her before. Yet he couldn't quite place her. It would come to him in time. For now, there were more pressing matters. "I've got to know. How much did he pay you? I mean, pretty brazen to walk around naked. Must be a lot. Just for a prank."

"Payment. Yes." She ducked back into the fridge and pulled out a whole jar of pickles. "This payment. All mine now."

Kai quirked his eyebrow in confusion. "Boy, you must like pickles a lot."

"Oh, yes. Selja loves pickles. Pickles payment." She started to back away from the fridge. "Oh, you say you ate pickles. Not Selja. And Selja says you didn't get pranked. Fooled. Didn't get fooled. Deal?"

"Sure," Kai agreed, just as Selja backed out of the door.

And then, she was gone. Amused, Kai walked to the window, but couldn't see the wannabe Selkie anymore. She had vanished without a trace.

Shaking his head once more, Kai walked over to the fridge to close it. "Selkies. As if. You've got to do better." After making some sandwiches, he decided to head out. There were fish to be caught. On his way through the living room, a picture on the mantelpiece caught his attention. It was Björn surrounded by attractive women. One of them was Selja. This time she was dressed. "Caught you. Probably a neighbor or so. They must be tight if Björn could win her for this stunt."

The moment he stepped out of the door, Kai groaned. This attempt at a prank was just pathetic. He could appreciate a naked woman, yes. But the seal on the other side of the fjord munching on pickles from an overturned jar? Not so much. It was a little overdone.

"Hopefully seals aren't allergic to pickles," Kai muttered as he made his way to the shed housing the fishing rods.


When Kai woke up, it was already bright outside. Clueing him in, that he had overslept. A glance at the alarm clock revealed flashing zeros. Another blackout in the night. Probably not long, but long enough to wipe the alarm clock clean.

Björn had said that blackouts were common around the rural areas. The main house had backup batteries for that case. Not so the cabins. Kai shrugged. It didn't really matter. It wasn't as if he had a job to go to. Yes, lately he had gotten up early to help out a bit on Björn's fish farm. To show his appreciation. And to have something to do. After a month, fishing and lazing around got a bit boring.

"Or Björn popped the fuse. To have a quiet morning without me," Kai joked. After a quick shower, he headed to the main house. Looking up, he saw that the day hadn't fully begun. Maybe getting up early helped to get a good body rhythm going again.

Walking over, he saw lights from the kitchen. It looked like Björn hadn't started his work for the day yet. Hurrying a bit up, Kai slipped in. "Good morning Björn. What is-"

Kai stopped. Not just Björn sat at the kitchen table and looked up at him. Five women did too. They all looked familiar and one he recognized immediately. Selja was - of course - munching on pickles.

"Kai. You are already awake?" Björn not just sounded surprised but looked like it too. But he caught himself quickly. "This is- Neighbors. My local neighbors. Now and then we get together and talk about-"

"Boring stuff?" Kai volunteered. He wasn't stupid. It was clear that something was going on he wasn't supposed to witness. Part of him was curious and another part wouldn't mind the company of five beautiful women. Still, he was a guest. Kai decided that Björn would clue him in on his own time. "Let me just grab something for breakfast and then I leave you to it."

"That might be for the best," Björn agreed as Kai rummaged around to gather a few things. "These meetings- They get complicated and boring."

"No worries," Kai said while closing the fridge door with his butt. His hands were full with a plate, utensils, and food. To his surprise, Selja jumped up and placed a pickle on his pile. "Thanks?" Selja was cute in her ways, but also very weird, he decided. "I'll be in my cabin or on the pier if you need me."

Just as he maneuvered out of the door he heard a whisper from Selja. "What? I like him. He's cute." It brought a smile to his face as he walked away.


Kai pinched the bridge of his nose. Hoping to reduce the oncoming headache. It's been two months since he started staying at Björn's. With each passing day, he felt worse for abusing Björn's hospitality. That's why he had started sending batches of job applications. The drawback was that batches of rejection letters came back.

"Nothing?"

Kai turned away from the computer to see Björn leaning against the doorframe.

"Yeah. Three years - nearly four - of blank space on your resume isn't helping, I guess."

"You know, you don't have to jump back in yet, right?" Björn asked. "Maybe talk with Antje about it."

Kai slumped back into the chair. "I did talk to her yesterday. Yes, she thinks it is too early too. But I can't help myself. I feel- Useless. Three years of not contributing to society. And now I am living at your expense."

"You know that I don't mind, right?" Björn walked over and took a seat nearby. "Look. I am not rich, but I've got money to spare. No wife or girlfriend. Parents are far away. What else am I gonna spend it on? Helping a friend is a good use for it."

"I know," Kai admitted. Even to himself, he sounded tired. "It's just- How I tick. I want to be useful. To contribute. That's in my DNA. I know I have to change, but it is hard."

"Maybe you need to step out of yourself for a bit," Björn said more to himself than to Kai. Abruptly, he stood up. "Wait here. I've got to discuss some things with friends. Maybe they can help you."

"Sure," Kai agreed, but it was too late. Björn was already out of the door. Walking with such purpose that Kai couldn't help, but see where he went. He half expected to see Björn call someone. Trade in some favors or such. Instead, Kai saw him walking over to some of the land-based tanks. Not every fish raised here could be done so in the fjord. A few were from far away and it couldn't even be risked for them to get free. It could mess up the local wildlife.

Björn came back out with five Japanese fish that Kai couldn't even pronounce their names. Maybe as a bribe? But instead of walking to his van and driving off, Björn walked past the pier and towards the mouth of the fjord. Well past the submerged fence. Standing there, it didn't take long until five seals emerged.

"Don't tell me it is that Selkie nonsense again," Kai said while spying out of the window. One by one, the fish were tossed to a seal and then, Björn just stood there. Maybe talking to the seals or maybe just putting on a show for Kai.

The seals got more animated. Bopping their heads up and down before heading back into the water. Only then Björn came back to the house. Before Kai could even say anything, Björn spoke up. "Come. I've got to show you something."

Kai sighed. Here comes part two of the Selkie prank. He was sure of it. But maybe getting along with it was exactly what he needed. The last few days he had been too much in his own head again. He wondered how transparent the prank would be this time. Maybe he will get a chuckle out of it. And he wouldn't mind seeing Selja or any of the other neighborhood women naked again.

They walked past the spot where Björn had struck a deal with the seals. It was a short hike out of the fjord. It turned out that Björn's fjord was actually the offshoot of a larger fjord. After five minutes they came to a stop and Kai didn't even need to ask why they did. About thirty meters out in the water, a small pile of stones and boulders broke through the surface of the water.

"You see this tiny island?"

"Not much of one," Kai remarked.

"There is a small path leading from here to the island. Just about thirty centimeters below the surface." Björn showed the start of the path and drew with his hand a straight line to the biggest Boulder. "The water here is cold. But in the night, the day after tomorrow, for a brief time it will turn warm. I want you to be here. Strip naked and walk towards that island."

A million replies went through Kai's head, but in the end, the smart ass in him won. "Let me guess. Some naked women will wait for me?"

Björn only gave him a knowing grin and walked back to the fishery. While walking away, saying over his shoulder: "Well, why don't you show up and find out?"

Kai nearly replied with another smart-ass remark, but something stopped him. Looking out to the pitiful pile of boulders, he got thinking. Maybe Björn was on the right track. Not about the Selkies, no. Maybe Kai took life too seriously. Maybe he should jump over his own shadow and play along with the prank. What could be the worst that could happen? That he might actually have fun? And if Björn recruited his neighbors to go streaking again, who was Kai to say no to that?


Kai dipped a finger into the water and immediately pulled back. "Fuck, that is cold."

What was he even doing here? There is humoring a friend and there is pure stupidity. Nervous, he combed through his hair. It was close to midnight and the moon was high up. A full moon too. Even without the flashlight he carried, he could make out his surroundings. Under the beam of his light, the pitiful pile of rocks one might call an island could be seen too.

Kai took a step back. "Nothing can convince me to get in there. I'll freeze my balls off." The last part he nearly shouted out. For the benefit of Björn. Surely his friend was somewhere in the nearby bushes. Eager to see how this prank turned out.

But Kai was quick to revise his statement. If one of the five beautiful neighbors were part of the joke, they might get into trouble. Maybe even frostbite or something in this frigid water. It was so cold that it was- Kai crooked his head. That couldn't be right. Wisps of steam rose from the water's surface. For about twenty meters to each side of the hidden path and around the island.

Fighting with himself, he finally approached the shore again. Once more, he dipped his finger in again and was positively surprised. The water wasn't just warm, but even slightly hot.

"Underground thermal vent?" Kai mused aloud. Then dismissed the idea. Surely he would see bubbles then. "Maybe Björn buried some floor heating or so?" That appeared unlikely too. "Magic." The one word had some finality to it. It had to be magic. But was it natural magic or something conjured by Björn?

"Alright. You want to play. I'll play." Kai started to strip out of his clothes. The water was hot now, but he still didn't want to get them soggy. Once naked, Kai was quick to step into the water. The air was heated up slightly, but not enough for his comfort. It was better over the water, but Kai quickly decided swimming over to the island was better. He even deviated slightly from the path. Björn had been right. It wasn't that deep below the surface and he'd sure hurt himself swimming there.

Halfway to the island, a wave washed over Kai. Waves weren't unusual. A fjord was, after all, connected to the ocean. However, this one had come opposite the normal flow. Now that he paid attention, he felt more and more tiny waves lapping at him. Then, in the pale moonlight, he spotted shapes darting through the water.

Furiously, Kai tried to remember if they had sharks around here. A half-forgotten fact about fermented shark as a delicacy drifted through his mind. But was that here or in another of the surrounding countries?

Determined to not find out, Kai doubled his efforts to reach the island. Just as he made it, a seal jumped on the rock beside him. He nearly laughed out loud in relief. Of course, it was a seal. Björn probably had trained them enough for this little show.

Heating water was one thing, but the chances of this seal being a Selkie? Kai still doubted it was true. But he looked forward to finding out just how Björn intended to switch out the seals for women.

"You want a belly rub?" Kai asked as the seal rolled on its back. Only to take a step back as a seam appeared on the seal. Slender arms pushed through. Then a head appeared. She pushed out her torso and the volume of the seal's body deflated. By the time she pulled out her hips, the body was nearly flat to the ground. Like discarded skin. Kai was baffled. It was true. "Selkies are real."

Carefully, the Selkie rolled up her seal skin and placed it away on the small island. Only then she turned around and walked towards Kai. In the pale moonlight, he recognized her. She was one of the neighbors Björn had introduced. A splash behind him made him turn around. Two more seals had emerged from the water, but while Kai had been distracted by the first Selkie, two others had already slipped on land and started to discard their seal skin. One of them was Selja the pickle thief.

"This might not be a prank after all," Kai murmured, but then was quickly hushed by the first Selkie.

She slowly circled Kai while the other Selkies joined them in their human forms. When she reached out with her hand, she felt warm on his skin. Her hand roamed over his chest. Gently. As if she was exploring. At last, she stopped behind Kai. Her arms circled him in a hug.

Then, he felt her nails be placed right above his heart. As Kai watched, she pushed them into his skin. A seam appeared. Starting at his torso and extending up and down his body. Kai was stunned as she pulled apart the seam and creamy white breasts appeared. He could feel them too as his former skin glided over them. A narrow waist emerged. Followed by generous hips. Selja and another Selkie arrived. They helped free slender arms and legs. The one behind pulled the skin away from Kai's face and he could step out. Left behind was skin.

His skin. He wasn't Kai anymore. At least, not his body. It felt different. Lighter in some regard. More dexterous. Unfamiliar. Strange. His new slender hands cupped his breasts. It was an experience he would never expect to have. Yes, there were always rumors of someone switching genders by magic. This was New Terra after all. But he hadn't expected that it would happen to him.

The sound of splashing water drew his attention away. Four of the Selkies were playing in the surf. Running around. Playing tag? Selja was caught and as her companions scattered too quickly, she got a mischievous grin as she eyed Kai. Storming over, she showered him with droplets of water that rained on his new soft skin. Then, he felt her touch his chest, before scampering off.

A little confused, Kai turned around. The Selkie who had first emerged had folded up his original skin and placed it neatly by the side of the seal skins the Selkies had deposited. Just as Kai was about to open his mouth, she giggled and dove into the water. It looked like he had to play their game if he wanted answers.

Diving into the water himself revealed just how different his new body felt. The water flowed differently around his new feminine curves. It wasn't entirely unpleasant. It took him a while to catch one of the Selkies. They clearly were better swimmers and Kai wasn't used to this body yet. It took the betrail of one Selkie to another that Kai tagged one. However, before Kai could ask a question, Selja dragged him off. It was his turn to be hunted. Along with four other Selkies.

After a while, Kai let go of his questions. They could wait for later. It was fun, this little game of tag. He couldn't remember the last time he had played. As teenager? No, it was probably longer ago. But at the moment, he didn't care anymore that it might be childish or that he wasn't in his normal body. It was the chase that counted. The little betrayals and feats of outsmarting hunter or prey. For a while, he just let go. Of being Kai. All his worries. An uncertain future. It faded away.

When one of the Selkies stopped him, Kai smelled betrayal. Selja was on the hunt and coming fast. But, instead of tagging him, she looked worried. The game stopped and they dragged him over to the small island. Only now, Kai noticed himself shivering. The wisps of steam had vanished and the water had grown cold again.

They unfolded his original skin for him. Opening so he could climb in. For a short moment, Kai hesitated. Did he even want to go back to being Kai? All the burdens he carried. The past that always loomed over him. But the Selkies insisted and Kai snapped out of it. Stepping into his familiar skin. They help align his arms and legs. Then, the seam closed. The swallowed the last vestiges of womanhood before his eyes. And within seconds he was male again.

It felt odd at first, yet also reassuring. But most of all, he still felt cold. The Selkies dragged him through the water. Now ice-cold again. Helped him to his bundle of clothes he had discarded earlier. With each layer he added, warmth returned to him. And, at last, he managed to close his thick jacket without help.

The splashing of water clued Kai in that the Selkies were leaving. As a group, they swam over to the island. Each one taking their skin and stepping into it. A heartbeat later, only seals remained. Slipping into the water a moment later.

With stiff legs, Kai started to walk back to his cabin. To a warm bed. All the while thinking. Had it been real what he had just experienced? And what did it promise for his future? While tired, those and other questions kept him up for a while.


Breakfast the next morning was awkward. Both friends sat silently while eating their share. Kai inside was a turmoil, but more than anything, he was peeved. Björn didn't even look smug. Not acknowledging that something strange had happened to Kai. Something wonderful.

At last, it fell to Kai to speak up. Putting down his knife after half spreading butter on his slice of bread, he looked at his friend. "So- Not a prank."

"Not a prank," Björn confirmed. He gave Kai a smile. Not the kind of smile that said told-you-so. It was a genuine smile. "So, you remember last night? Some people put it off as a dream. Rather not acknowledge the fact of what happened to them."

"How could I not?" Kai asked seriously. "One moment they were seals and then-"

"They were women," Björn concluded. "That's what Selkies do."

"And I was-" Kai trailed off.

"Also a woman," Björn added softly.

"You watched?" The was no malice in Kai's question. Just curiosity.

"I didn't need to. This was between you and them. As for how I know-" Björn pushed his chair away from the table and then started to shrug first out of his pullover and then out of the shirt beneath. He put his fingers to the middle of his chest and pulled. A seam appeared and the skin parted. Beneath, a woman emerged. She freed her head and torso, before addressing Kai. "Sometimes, I take a break from being Björn, and then, I am Noril for some time."

Kai was shocked silent. The very friend he had known since childhood now sat there as a woman. A shapely one at that. With blond hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. He could sort of see traces of his features in her face. And as Kai watched, she shrugged off the rest of Björn's skin. Freeing her long legs.

"You- " Kai pointed at her, but his mind refused to string together a coherent sentence behind it. At last, he managed to squeeze out one more word: "Selkie?"

"Not really, no," the woman now going by Noril replied. She put not only Björn's clothes on a nearby chair, but also his skin. Only then she addressed Kai again. "Selkies are seals. They just happen to have developed the skill to shed their skin and emerge as a human woman. A skill that they learned to share. Let me ask you a question. What would happen if a Selkie taught their skill to a woman?"

Confronted with something to solve, the chaos in Kai's mind ebbed away. At least, for now. His mind had something to focus on. A riddle, maybe. If a woman could shed her skin, what would emerge? His first impulse was to say as a man. It had bent Björn's gender after all. His own too in the night before.

But something struck him as wrong. Did Selkies change their gender when they shed their skin? Kai wasn't sure. Björn had said they developed the skill to emerge as a woman. Maybe just like that because of the local legends. Maybe this had influenced the skill or made it possible in the first place.

But a woman was already a woman. There wasn't anything to emerge that was different, right? "Nothing," Kai gave an answer and immediately saw he was wrong by the smile of his not-quite-familiar-anymore friend.

"One would think so, right? The answer is, that if a woman with this skill sheds her skin, a new woman would emerge." Noril leaned back grinning. Steepling her fingers behind her head. "You see, the legends say a beautiful woman emerges. What is beautiful? Who judges that? It appears the answer is that the emerging woman is the idealized version of herself. What she thinks is her ideal form."

Kai nodded. It made sense. And realizing it started to ground him. This wasn't just some random thing that happened to him or Björn. There was a logic behind it. A reason. That, he could deal with.

Of course, there was a logical next step. "You say, they teach their skill. Can I-" He motioned pulling his skin apart at his chest.

"Maybe," Noril admitted. "You see, there aren't many who know about Selkies. That they are real. Even in these parts. There aren't surveys or studies. Some can do it by themselves after the first change. Most need two. I haven't heard of anyone needing more than three. You've got to try to find out."

Kai was game. Yes, this was New Terra. There had always been stories about magic feats and strange phenomena. Even about powerful technology that could accomplish impossible things. But they always happened to other people. Not to him. Nor to anyone in his surroundings. His life had been mundane. Boring even. And now it had finally happened. Yes, turning into a woman was strange. Not something he had contemplated before. Something special happened to him and he'd be dawned if he let that opportunity slip by.

Mimicking Björn from before, Kai undressed until he was bare-chested. "What now?"

"Do you remember what the Selkie did before your seam appeared?" Noril asked. Now leaning forward. Eager to see what would happen too. "How it felt when it did. Concentrate on this strange, but wonderful feeling. And then, try. It either works, or it won't. Just be aware, if you draw blood, you definitely doing it wrong."

Kai chuckled, then took a few calming breaths. The Selkie had placed her fingers right above his heart. Then pushed down, into his flesh, and then apart. When he placed his own, they were trembling. There was a bit of nervousness in him. The rest was anticipation. A last calming breath and he pushed down his fingers.

It took longer than the first time. A seam appeared. Traveling downward from his fingers to his crotch and at the same time upwards, to his face. It split open without any pain. Once more, soft pale skin was revealed. Followed by a handful of breasts. Not too much and not too little. A perfect size in Kai's opinion.

The seam split open further still and Kai could now work out his hands and head. It was then that Noril clapped her hands and exclaimed: "A blond! Now I don't have to tell you to stuff any blond jokes. Who sits in a glass house shouldn't throw stones, right?"

Reaching up, he indeed caught a strand of blond hair. It wasn't as light as Noril's. Hers betrayed her northern heritage. His own was rather a dirty blond. Speaking of the mix of ancestors. He hadn't noticed the night before, but his new hair was long. Reaching past his shoulders, but not by much.

"Come on," Noril said standing up. "Get the rest of you out. There is something I've got to show you."

Kai did his best. It was harder without the help of Selkies. Getting the skin off her hips was like peeling off jeans that were too tight. At last, he was out. A full woman and the skin of his male self in his arms. Looking at it, it wasn't as gruesome as he had feared. Noril was a step further. Having folded the skin of Björn and having tucked the bundle under her arm. She was naked - as was Kai - but didn't seem bothered by it.

He realized that on some level, he should freak out. Yet Kai found himself calm. Intrigued even. Whatever pangs of fright he might have, the Selkies had scattered last night. Folding up his skin, Kai had to ask: "What now?"

Noril held her finger up. "Rule number one. Keep your skin safe."

That made sense to Kai. "And rule number two?"

Noril beamed. "Why, have fun, of course."

She led him to a locked room. Kai always had thought it was where Björn kept his files and stuff. Now, Noril showed him a seven-digit code that opened the door. Only proceeding once Kai could remember and input the code himself.

Beyond was a staircase that led down to a basement Kai hadn't known was there. It was spacious. Filled with shelves and cabinets. What drew his attention was the large floor-to-ceiling mirror. As he stepped closer, so did the reflection of a woman. He had never seen her, yet retained an aura of familiarity. She looked like his sister might have looked, if he had any. He could see his features within her. Just softened up. Her hair was a dirty blond. Not as dark blond as Kai's original hair, but not as light as Björn's or Noril's by far. Her eyes were pure grey. Not the blue-grey he had as Kai.

She wasn't the most striking beauty Kai had ever seen. No feature made her stand out. She hadn't the largest chest or widest hips. She wasn't super toned like an athlete or thin like a bean. But she was attractive. Certainly, she could work as a model. But not quite supermodel material.

"You know-" Noril leaned on Kai so he could see both of them in the mirror. "She needs a name. I am not calling you Kai while you are her."

Kai knew Noril was right. She needed a name. Yet, he hesitated. Choosing a name for her would make it more permanent. It would be admitting that he would be her more often. That shedding his skin would become a regular thing. Kai hadn't thought as far. He just had accepted that it was even possible and happening to him. But if Noril was right, choosing when to become her was up to Kai. It was literally at his fingertips.

Did he want to be her? Kai didn't even know if he liked it yet. Yes, it was strange and new. But he knew nothing of being a woman. Maybe he would hate it. Granted, maybe he liked it and would become her again. He simply wasn't sure yet. Kai needed more to base his decision on.

"Why do you do it?"

Noril got thoughtful. But not for long. "Sometimes, being Björn can become a bit tedious. I mean, I like being Björn. I am happy for the most part. But it still feels good to be someone else for a while. Like dressing up for Halloween or carnival. Just more so. Most often just for a few hours. Sometimes for a day or two. Stepping out of Björn allows me to duck out from all my responsibilities. To be unburdened for a while. And I thought, maybe that's what my good friend Kai needs too."

Right. Kai didn't need to give up on himself. Just a breather. A little vacation of himself. He could do that. In fact, put into that perspective, it might be exactly what he needed. Not just now. If anything he had learned from his long stint of burnout that he needed something to help release the pressure. Now, he wished he had this wondrous ability years ago. Maybe with it, life had never become that burdensome and overbearing.

"Juliane" he decided. No, she. If she wore a female name and had a female body, then Juliane had to think of herself as such.

"Well, welcome to womanhood," Noril said. Giving her friend a hug. "There are many nice things about it. Of course, there are hardships too."

Now, Juliane got worried. "Such as?"

Noril laughed and gave Juliane a playful slap on the butt. "Well, we can't run around naked all day, and let me tell you, getting dressed as a woman is a little more complicated than choosing jeans and a t-shirt of roughly your size."

"Why not?" Juliane asked. Not really contesting the notion, but she felt a bit like teasing. "I could go for the tomboy look."

"Sure you can. Nothing is stopping you. But-" Noril walked over to one cabinet and opened its door. A multitude of brasserie lay behind. "Even tomboys need the right support if they are endowed enough. And girl, believe me, you need it."

Juliane looked down. A few seconds passed. "I haven't thought about that," she admitted. Clearly, there were things she hadn't thought of. Noril had. As Björn, she had plenty of time to plan for it.

Juliane stepped closer to the underwear. She knew how to get a bra off a girl. But into it? Couldn't be that hard, right? Then a new thought crossed her mind. She opened a few more drawers and cabinets. All filled with female clothing. "That looks a bit much for one person. Are you sure being Noril is a rare occasion?"

Noril didn't even miss a beat. "Someone forgot that I have five Selkies living on my doorstep. And sometimes their friends visit too. You expect me to let them run around naked? Sometimes I'll even take them to the nearest city."

"Right. Good point." Juliane eyed the lingerie on display. She picked up a bra that she thought might fit. "Maybe this one?"

"That's the spirit, but no," Noril shot her down. "One of the strange skills one picks up when hosting Selkies is that I could work in a boutique or even lingerie store." She grabbed a nearby measuring tape that Juliane hadn't spotted before. "What we need, are your measurements. Told you it wouldn't be as easy."

"I surrender. The point goes to you. So, work your magic."

"Oh, I will," Noril promised. "And then, you'll be my dress-up doll."

It suddenly dawned on Juliane that Noril's motivation might not be altogether altruistic.

An hour later, Juliane was sitting at the breakfast table again. Having successfully escaped the clutches of Noril. Stating that she was still hungry wasn't just a means to escape the fate of a dress-up mannequin. Now, munching on a new slice of bread with herring salad on it, Juliane was surprised by yet another small little, but still strange, detail. Her food tasted differently. No, it probably tasted the same, but her new body interpreted it just slightly differently.

"Would you stop?"

Juliane looked up to see a grinning Noril shaking her head.

"Stop what?"

"This is the third time I see you trying to adjust your bra," Noril pointed out. "I thought we found one that fits you well. It isn't pinching, is it? If so, we might need to head to the city to pick up something fitting."

Juliane blushed. "No. I guess I just haven't gotten used to it yet."

"Remember-" Noril suddenly sounded a lot more serious. "You can stop at any time. If it gets too much for you, just slip back into your skin and be Kai again. I don't want to push you into anything you aren't comfortable with."

Juliane gave her friend the best serious look she could manage. Placing her right arm on the table and holding up her hand. More specifically her fingernails which had been adorned with pink nail polish.

"Yeah. I mean- It completes your outfit so well-" Noril helpfully shut up. Knowing she was on lost ground.

Juliane gave an amused snort. She actually didn't mind the nail polish. She was glad that she had successfully vetoed the makeup. In no way Juliane was ready for that yet.

As for her outfit, it wasn't as bad as she had feared. It wasn't skimpy. If anything it was slightly too warm. The layers of top, shirt, and pullover were clearly meant for the colder weather outside. Most of it wasn't that different from wearing male clothes. Perhaps aside from wearing female underwear, Juliane found wearing a skirt a strange, but oddly freeing experience. The skirt was ankle length and didn't leave any of the legs bare. A plus in this frigid weather. Her legs were unburdened by tight jeans or other pants. And with each step, the fabric glided over her skin. Would she ever get used to the feeling? Maybe, for now, she should enjoy it.

Instead of putting Noril more on the spot, Juliane wolfed down the rest of her breakfast. "I am going for a quick walk. Before your workers show up."

Noril stood up herself. "I would join you, but I guess Björn is needed. You know, there is no reason for you to rush. If you want you can stay as Juliane longer. The workers are used to seeing new women walking about now and then."

"But- I am not used to being a woman yet," Juliane admitted. "I kind of fear messing up somehow. You know my secret. Our secret, I should say. You don't count. But they-"

"Don't worry. I need to get changed. Enjoy your walk."

As Noril walked back to change into Björn's skin, Juliane walked to the door. Her heart was beating faster. There was no one out there yet. Still, she felt like leaving the safe harbor once more. At last, she stepped out. Determined to enjoy herself for a little while, before it was time to change back into Kai.


"Do you need a break?"

Kai glared at Björn, but still took a step to the side and leaned against a boulder. His breathing was slightly ragged.

"I didn't know I was that much out of shape," Kai admitted. Why had he agreed to the hiking trip again? Granted, leaning against the stone, he had a fantastic view of the fjord. Not the one owned by Björn. They had left that one behind for a few kilometers. First, they walked along the shore. Then, they ascended to the top and were now starting to walk back.

"Look, if it is too much, there is a road on the other side of the hill." Björn pointed to a hill not far away. "I could leave you there and get the van."

"No. No. I am fine," Kai insisted. "Just needed a breather."

"Are you sure?" Björn sounded concerned.

"Look-" Kai took a quick mental calculation. "Do you think we can make it back before nightfall?"

"If it was just me, I would say yes. But together. Maybe."

"I bet we will make it before nightfall," Kai boasted. "If not? I'll be Juliane the whole day tomorrow. And you can dress me up how you like."

Björn gave a chuckle. "That's not much of a punishment. You've been Juliane three times in the last week. One might think you've gotten a taste for being her."

"Maybe-" Kai admitted blushing. "But I never stayed as Juliane for more than one or two hours. This is all day we are talking here."

"Alright. Alright." Björn raised his hands in surrender. "I'll take your bet. Tell you what, if your proposed punishment isn't enough, I'll add a carrot to your stick. If you make it before nightfall, I'll be Noril for the whole next day. How does that sound?"

"Like a deal," Kai confirmed and offered his hand.

Björn shook on it. Or tried to. After one up and down, Kai let go and was marching past him. Björn needed a moment to comprehend. "Wait a moment. Did you only pretend?"

Kai, by now a few meters ahead, didn't answer directly. "You are just as predictable as when we were teenagers."

Björn shook his head while grinning. Then headed after Kai. It didn't matter if the bet was won or lost to him. It was just worth it to see his friend in high spirits again.


"Enjoying the view?"

Kai needed a moment to parse the question. He had been lost in thought. Coincidentally, he had been staring at Noril. Her butt no less. It was what spurred his thoughts. Noril was attractive. When he had been Juliane, she had noticed too. But more on an academic level. Now, as man, the knowledge was more on an instinctual level. The very thought that he was, right now, attracted to his childhood friend left Kai bemused.

Not willing to share his thoughts, Kai tried humor. "Of course. You have a beautiful fjord here. How could I not enjoy the view?"

"Oh, just the fjord?" Noril turned and now leaned against the railing on the pier. She then struck a pose for Kai who was lazing around on a nearby chair. "Are you sure?"

Kai gulped. Björn had stayed true to the bet. The whole morning Noril had been around. Maybe to tease him, she wore revealing clothes too. In this weather, that amounted to a skintight top and pullover and a knee-length skirt

A strange thought crossed Kai's mind. Noril wasn't flirting with him, right? Not for real. Unsure how he felt about it, Kai took a swig of beer and chose to remain silent.

Noril snickered. Then her mood sobered up. "I have a favor to ask."

Kai's pulse quickened. She wasn't proposing something indecent, he hoped. Yet feared she might.

"I promised the Selkies I take them out to town next weekend." That one sentence made Kai relax again. However, Noril wasn't done. "Part of the payment actually. For teaching you to shed your skin. Anyway, I could use help herding them. I mean, they look human and are just as intelligent as humans, but on the inside, they are still seals. Shed skin or not. One does best to remember that."

For a moment, Kai was lost in the daydream of what shenanigans human-shaped seals would get up to. Then, he took the question seriously. "Sure. Could be fun. Do you- Should I come as Kai or Juliane?"

"That's up to you," Noril said with a shrug. "I have to go as Björn. That's what the police expect to find when they look at my driving license. You can come as Kai or you could join the ladies on their shopping trip as Juliane."

"That sounds like it could get expensive," Kai mused.

"Oh, it does. You will hear me bitch and moan over every purchase," Noril promised. "But the truth is, it will be mostly for show. A Selkie's grasp on the concept of money is tenuous at best. Don't worry. I can afford it. Doesn't matter much if I pay for five or six ladies."

Kai leaned back and gave it a thought. He still hadn't ventured outside the fjord as Juliane and was mostly still hiding away when Björn's workers showed up for their shifts. Going out to the city was scary. But going as a group like that? Maybe it would mask his own unfamiliarity with a female body by the weirdness of Selkies let loose.

"I think I'll be joining you as Juliane."

"Great. Now I have an inside man - woman - to help me from them getting into trouble." Noril rubbed her hands eagerly, then pushed off the railing. "I think I'll get started on making lunch."

As she walked away, Kai caught himself checking her out. This might lead to trouble later, but he couldn't quite bring himself to stop.


"Ladies, one person at a time for the changing stall," Juliane shouted. Björn hadn't been kidding. Herding Selkies wasn't easy. When they got excited they had the maturity and patience of six-year-olds. She looked for help but found Björn had his own troubles. One of the Selkies tried to climb into the window display and pose like a mannequin.

"But I want to try this on," Selja exclaimed after trotting over. Holding a lemon-colored crop top with the print of a large pickle right in front of Juliane's face. "And Björn gets upset if we change outside a stall."

"I would too," Juliane assured the Selkie. Meanwhile, pushing down the crop top. Why anyone would put a pickle on a shirt was beyond Juliane until she now got a good look at it. Proclaiming proudly 'Let me show you how I can swallow your cucumber'. Juliane groaned. Even more so as she saw Selja's excited face. Could she explain the innuendo to her and make sure the Selkie knew how inappropriate it was? Probably not. Instead, Juliane led her to the small line that had formed before the changing stall. "Don't worry. You'll get the chance to try it on when it is your turn. Just a little patience."

Pouting, Selja complied and Juliane got to take a step back. The shop was a mess. How five women - even if they were Selkies- had managed it, was beyond her. Despite that, she had been present when the chaos unfolded. Seeing quite a few scattered garments, Juliane started to fold up some of the discarded garments left in the Selkies' wake.

"Oh, honey, don't do that," a sales clerk exclaimed. Surprising Juliane in turn who had been too focused on the Selkies. "That's my job. Unless you want it. I am hiring. The way you wrangle these Selkies- I could use someone like you."

"Wrangle these-" Then it dawned on Juliane. Making her give a nervous fake laugh. "Selkies? Oh, no. These are just women. Normal human women. Selkies are just a legend, right?"

"Girl, I know a Selkie when I see one. With or without their skin. Call it a perk of someone being the daughter of one."

Juliane let out a relieved sigh. She hadn't somehow exposed the secret of the Selkies. But a new thought occurred to her. "You are half Selkie? I didn't know that was possible."

The clerk shook her head. "Technically, no. You see, a Selkie without her skin is one hundred percent human. So, I am too. But I learned a lot from my mother when she was around."

"I see." Juliane's eyes fell on Björn, who just successfully got the Selkie out of the window display. "That's why he brought us here. Less exposure if we are around someone who is in the know."

The clerk laughed. "Oh, no. He is clueless. As are the Selkies. Maybe I should tell him, but it is so much more amusing this way. But back to my offer. Do you take it?"

"Offer?" Juliane tried hard to remember. "What offer?"

"I was offering you a job, girl. I could use someone for the afternoon shift on weekdays. When it gets a bit more crowded. Interested?"

Juliane was stumped. Someone was actually offering her a job. After all the rejections, she hadn't really expected to find something. Much less so by accident. Working here was a departure from her usual work. In fact, it might be a deal breaker.

"Interested, yes. But I don't have any experience working as anything else than office work."

"Excellent! Then I don't have to make you unlearn the wrong stuff and bring you up right. Half the fun is teaching you anyway. You wouldn't believe what some department stores teach young people these days."

Juliane had a feeling she would find out soon. She got a job. The thought was bouncing around in her head and lifted her spirits.

It still did when their group sat down half an hour later. It was in an American-style restaurant. After all the excitement, everyone was hungry.

"Make sure they put extra pickles on mine," Selja demanded from Björn.

"You can tell them yourself," Björn assured her, before turning to Juliane and giving her a short roll of his eyes.

"I have news." It nearly burst out of her as her excitement hadn't ebbed away. Once she had Björn's attention, she laid it all out. "The boutique we were just in. The owner offered me a job. I didn't even apply. She just walked up to me and offered. Only a five-hour shift in the afternoon on weekdays, but it's better than nothing. And it isn't too much at once. I can ease back into it."

"Congratulations." He sounded genuine to her. "I guess it means we'll be seeing you as Juliane a lot more from now on."

Juliane was puzzled. "Why?"

Björn's face lit up as he figured something out. Juliane didn't have to wait long to find out what. "Well, unless you snuck away to slip into your Kai-skin again, they sort of expect you as Juliane to show up, right?"

"Bullocks!" Juliane leaned back. But was that a deal breaker? "I can do a half day as Juliane. No problem. Can't be that hard."

"It isn't," Björn assured her. "I just wanted to make sure you know what you are getting into."

He was always looking out for her. At that moment, Juliane could have kissed him. She felt grateful enough. But the server showed up and a moment later the shouted word "pickles" could be heard throughout the whole restaurant.


Juliane awoke with a long yawn and a cat-like stretch of her limbs. It was Saturday. There was no work today. Not that she really minded hers. It was a far cry from boring office work. Most of the time she was gossiping with her co-workers anyway.

A quick shower and she started to dress. By now, it had become quite familiar. It's been nearly three months since she had first become Juliane. In the last two, she even spent most of her time as Juliane rather than Kai. Switching each day became tedious and if she had to show up to work as Juliane then she might as well stay as her for the weekdays.

Throwing on something light, she had to add her winter jacket and heavy boots to make it to the main house. There was only light snow outside. Less than twenty centimeters. Juliane hurried to make it inside. Even the short walk had her shivering.

Björn was already up. Setting up their table for breakfast. Juliane hurried to slip out of boots and jacket so she could help. By now, they worked well in concert. Aside from a short "good morning", they worked in silence. Juliane liked it this way. The familiarity. The habit. She cherished it.

Only once their breakfast was done, they talked. Today, it was Björn who spoke up first. "Any plans for today?"

Juliane wet her lips. She had noticed something in the last few weeks. It was time to test her theory. "Nothing much." She tried to sound casual. She raised her coffee mug and took a sip. "Once this one is empty, I am going to slip into Kai again. Give Antje a call. It has been a while since I last spoke to her."

"Good idea. You have been spending a lot of time as Juliane lately. Always nice to see my buddy again." Björn took a sip of his own coffee and for a moment, Juliane thought she had been wrong. But Björn wasn't finished. "Actually, I think I will join you switching. Be Noril for some time."

Juliane's pulse quickened. She had been right. It took her a while to notice. Lately, whatever gender Juliane was, Björn chose to casually be the opposite. They always had chemistry. As Kai and Björn or as Juliane and Noril. But it was a little bit more if one was a man and the other a woman.

There was some anticipation in the air and Juliane hurried to empty her morning portion of caffeine. When she stood up, Juliane wasn't surprised to see Björn do the same. She felt giddy as they walked to the locked wardrobe where they kept their skins and the small hoard of clothing. By now, Juliane only kept one set there for Kai and one set for Juliane. The rest was in her cabin. Still, she changed here so she could lock her skin away when not needed.

They both started to undress and when Björn looked like he had trouble slipping out of his pullover, Juliane made her move. "Let me help you with that." His chest was freed in moments and Juliane couldn't help but rest her hands on his skin. To feel the muscles beneath.

"Juliane."

She looked up. He was so close. Now was the time. She leaned in and kissed him. Their lips met and time stood still. The first tender touch got more urgent as they both leaned into it.

"Are you sure?" Björn asked as they finally split to get air.

Juliane blushed. "I am not as good as Noril when it comes to flirting. Yes, I have noticed. If I am Kai you find reasons to be Noril. Just to tease? No, you flirt. No sense denying it. And I have seen the looks you give me when I am Juliane. You want me. And I want you. Both of you. Noril or Björn."

They kissed anew. More tender. They took their time. As they separated, Juliane took Björn's hand. "I think Kai and Noril can wait. There is something I want you to show me."

"And what is that?"

The longing in his eyes and voice gave butterflies to Juliane's stomach.

"Why, your bedroom of course."

Björn surprised her by scooping her up in his muscular arms. "As you wish."


The growling of her stomach brought a giggle to Juliane. "I guess we can't spend the whole day here."

Björn was only inches away and under the bedsheets, they were a lot closer. "We can try."

After a quick deep kiss, Juliane slipped out of the covers. Naked, she sauntered over to the door. "Not on an empty stomach. I don't want you to falter halfway in."

Björn was quick to catch up and kiss her neck. "Whatever you wish for, my lady."

Like a young star-crossed couple, they made their way down to the kitchen again. Cooking took longer than usual. They couldn't help but tease each other. And their meal was rather hurried.

Juliane was ready to drag Björn back to bed when he held her back. "Maybe we should switch after all?"

For a split second, worry grew within Juliane. "Why?"

"Because-" Björn sported a mischievous grin. "Noril has been waiting months to drag Kai to bed. She wants her fill too."

Juliane chuckled. "Oh, poor girl. I guess there is an obligation to fulfill."

Again, they headed to their secret wardrobe. This time, to change for real.


"I am kind of nervous," Kai admitted.

Noril gave him a reassuring hug. "You don't have to do it. Remember, this is your idea."

"No. I want this." He turned around to Noril. "I can't imagine going back. My place is here. With you."

"Then let's go."

It was easier said than done. Bureaucracy was, as always, tedious. And despite having the papers ready, they had to still wait for hours.

At last, they shuffled into the office of a middle-aged woman. "Mister Schildenfeld?"

"Yes, that's me," Kai confirmed. "Kai Schildenfeld."

She looked again over the papers they had handed in hours ago. "And you want to officially immigrate into our little country? That's nice. It says here you hold a job?"

"Yes. Part-time," Kai confirmed. A little nervous as technically it was Juliane who did. "For the past half year."

The woman nodded. "And it says here, your sponsor is Björn Mortensen, correct? You are aware the sponsor has to be present when handing in the application?"

"That would be me," Noril spoke up. Handing over her ID.

If the woman was phased, then she didn't show it. Just calmly taking it and running it through the computer. "Ah, yes. It is all there. I don't see any reason not to grant you citizenship, Mister Schildenfeld. Please come back in a week to claim your updated social ID."

"There is one more application I would like to hand in," Noril spoke up and surprised not just Kai with it. "These are the immigration papers for one Juliane Schildenfeld."

Kai was speechless. She hadn't mentioned her stunt before. Neither as Noril or as Björn. Kai just hoped this wouldn't ruin anything.

The case worker took the paper dutifully and glanced at it. Then turned to Noril. "Miss Mortensen. It is very uncommon for our government to issue dual identity papers. I don't see a history that would indicate a reason for a witness protection program and there is no indication of a religious past."

"Oh. Sorry. I forgot something." Noril hunted for something within her purse. As she found it, she gave a mischievous grin. "Seal of approval." She leaned over and stamped the second document with a small rubber stamp. It, indeed, left a small picture of a seal behind.

"Ah. You should have said so sooner." The woman pulled out her own stamp and placed a second seal in a different color right underneath Noril's. Then, she looked at Kai. "Mister Schildenfeld. In case you aren't aware, Selkies and humans who slip their skin show a slight shift in their aura. This can be detected. In this country and fourteen participating nations, this shift will be registered and taken into account when your soul-ID is read. To normal ID checks, you will either show up as Juliane or as Kai Schildenfeld. Depending if you slipped your skin or not. Please note that crimes committed show up on both IDs and higher government officials will see both IDs too. Is that understood? "

Kai was overwhelmed. Just how far had the Selkies spread their influence. Still, he managed a nod and a "Yes, mam."

"Then let me be the first to welcome you to your new home."

They shook and not soon after, Noril and Kai left the room. Once outside, Kai couldn't wait any longer. "I didn't know that was possible. Two IDs? Is it that important?"

Noril chuckled. "It saves a lot of time explaining. If you happen to be out of your skin and have to show your ID. And it has other advantages too. You can use both your ID halves to register for things double. Once as male and once as female. For example, when we get married we can-"

Kai stopped cold. "Get married?"

"I mean-" For once, Noril looked coy and unsure of herself. "If you want to get married."

"Of course, I want to!" Kai lifted Noril up in the air and kissed her when lowering down. "I just hadn't thought about it yet. Wow. So, we are engaged now?"

"Not so fast, Mister." Noril gave him a playful pout. "I am a traditionalist. I want a real proposal. Something romantic."

Kai was over the moon. Right now, he would agree to anything. "Of course, I will do my best."

"Good." Noril gave him a big grin. "Of course, Juliane can expect a big surprise from Björn too."

It dawned on Kai just how convenient two IDs were. Two proposals. Two weddings. A bachelor's and a bachelorette party to attend. He's got to experience the best things in life twice.

"Oh, my!" Kai exclaimed as another thought crossed his mind.

"What?" Noril dutifully asked.

"Now I have a good reason to clue Antje in on the skins," Kai revealed. "I've got to have her as my maid of honor."

"Me too!" Noril exclaimed. "Poor Antje. Wait till she has to chaperone a whole pod of Selkies as my bridesmaids."

That got a laugh out of Kai. Right now, he wouldn't change his life for anything. A far cry from a year ago. He not just rekindled a childhood friendship but found love. And all because he had learned to shed his skin.

The end.


Quick Author's Note


Hi there.

It is November and time for NaNoWrMo.
Yes, I am taking part. However, instead of channeling 50.000 words into one story, I was convinced to split it into as many short stories as I can.

Shedding Skin was the first one I finished. By vote on my discord server (Cassy's Library), the next story will be one for my Fashionable Witches universe. If you would like to help determine what kind of story I'll write after that, you are welcome to join my discord server and take part in the vote.

Until next time,
Cassy

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos