Eyeshadow

Printer-friendly version

Eyeshadow
Copyright 2024 by Heather Rose Brown

A few years ago, I created the drawing below, of a couple of friends experimenting with makeup. Today a vignette of what was happening in the drawing popped into my head. Even though it's short, I really liked how it came out, so I thought I'd share it. Enjoy!

=-=-=

"Thank you," I said as something soft and velvety brushed across my closed eyelid.

"Hold still," Lainey said while taking a firm but gentle hold of my chin. I could hear a hint of playfulness in her voice when she added, "And you're welcome." After brushing something across my other eyelid, she let go of my chin and said, "Okay, open your eyes."

My friend was placing a short brush in a plastic box with a clear lid when I opened my eyes. After closing the lid, she looked up and smiled, then said, "I knew that eyeshadow would look good with your complexion and eye color."

I smiled back before saying, "I really appreciate ya lettin' me try it out."

Lainey's smile turned into a grin. "That's what friends are for."

I did my best to keep my voice from shaking when I asked, "Even if your friend's a boy?"

My friend frowned and tilted her head while asking, "Are ya sure about that?"

I chewed on my bottom lip, then said, "I dunno. Maybe ... probably a boy?"

"Whether you're a boy, girl, or anything else," she said while unzipping a small bag, "your still my friend." After tucking the plastic box into the bag, she added, "And that eyeshadow def looks pretty on ya."

My eyes prickled with tears, and I sniffled while saying, "That ... that really means a lot to me. More'n I know how to say."

Lainey pulled a packet of tissues from the bag, pulled a tissue from the packet, then blotted at the corners of my eyes. When she was done, she said, "Good thing you're not wearin' mascara."

There was an impish curl to her lips when she pulled a black tube from her bag and asked, "Wanna try some?"

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One Thing

joannebarbarella's picture

Leads to another. Lovely!

Very sweet

Emma Anne Tate's picture

That was lovely, Heather. And the drawing that inspired it is very evocative. Both say so much with such delightful economy!

Emma

Not sure

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

I'm not sure if I should beg for a continuation or just revel in letting my imagination create possible scenarios.

At any rate, it's a great little tale and an even better drawing.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

love and acceptance

something we all need, but those of us who cross gender lines need a lot.

nice one, hun, huggles!

DogSig.png