Dial P for Power Girl -Unfinished-

Printer-friendly version
PowerGirl.png   Dial P for Power Girl
 
A Metastory in the Comics Retcon Universe

by Erin Halfelven
 

Unfinished

 

Ross Benjamin pulled in the line and examined the bait. Something had nibbled on it and it looked a bit ragged.

His father, Joel, made a clucking sound. "Doesn't look too appetizing, does it?" he commented.

Ross grinned. "Not to you or I but who knows what fish think looks good to eat?" He tossed the line back in the water with a casual flick of the wrist. "Besides, if we caught something, we'd have to decide if we wanted to clean it or throw it back."

"If we cleaned it, we'd have to take it home but first we'd need to decide which home? The one you share with me, or the one your mother allows you to live with her half of the time?" said his father. "Nu, if you ask me, it's easier to just throw the fish back rather than try to think of which would offend your mother more–take it to her house, she thinks you want her to cook it–take it to my house, she wonders why you're just going to put it in the freezer and nobody eats it."

"Gramma would cook it if she found it in your freezer," said Ross, smiling.

"Oy! Leave my mother out of this; any story with two Jewish women in it is a tragedy." Joel rolled his eyes theatrically.

Ross chuckled and they settled back into their spots in the little aluminum boat. They really didn't care about catching anything, fishing was just an excuse to spend time with each other without needing to have a topic to discuss. They could talk as they were now doing or they could sit silently together, just enjoying the company.

Ross Benjamin had a younger, rounder version of his father's long, Eastern European face. He had blue eyes, too, compared to his father's deep set brown ones and a full head of dark blond hair to contrast with Joel's thinning black combover. But the family resemblance was strong enough that no one seeing them would doubt that they were father and son.

Ross had come back from his first year of college to find that his parents were getting divorced. It baffled him. They'd always quarreled but had just as surely made up again. This time had been different.

Ross loved both of his parents. To their credit, neither of them did more than test him to see if he would take sides. Four months after the divorce papers had been served, he came back to his shattered home and spent a week with his mom, then a week with his dad. That pattern had continued through the summer until the current late July weekend in the muggy heat on the banks of Thunder Lake, fishing with his father.

No, Ross and Joel did not really expect or desire to catch any fish. They drowsed under the overhanging willows and just enjoyed being together with nothing much to do. A fish would be an interruption.

    

Beth Benjamin, née Lowe, had taken a new job the previous year, office manager in a research firm. She'd even talked Joel into investing money in Ultra-Human Research Associates. The new field of investigation into metahuman activities had seemed to offer opportunity and her boss, Geron Shugart, had enough charisma and confidence for six Richard Bransons, despite being confined to a wheelchair.

At the same time, Joel's job as talent co-ordinator for the Clearwater New Celebrity Theater took an odd turn when the perennial star of the Clearwater Celebrity Revue, Dolly Sommers, developed metahuman powers. After nearly being killed in a traffic accident, Dolly rejuvenated in the hospital and discovered that she could manipulate sound and light and turn one into the other.

Dolly's powers seemed minor, basically a light show, but included rejuvenation to her appearance as a nineteen year old sex symbol. Back then, she'd starred in the year's best semi-sleazy blockbuster, "Paradise Cafe" where she played the showgirl lover of the heroic Sam Damon. Variety described her as a blonde Raquel Welch with Ann-Margret's voice.

Trusting Joel because of their long association putting on what were essentially vaudeville shows when the theater was not being used for plays or concerts, Dolly hired Joel as her new manager and took the metahuman codename, Sensation. Developing an act billed as the Living Laser Lightshow, Dolly, with Joel, booked a thirteen city winter tour and became a worldwide – Sensation.

During the middle of the tour, Geron Shugart, Beth's boss, announced the discovery of the ultra-humanite particle, the source of the mysterious transformative energy used by meta-humans. And suddenly, Beth was near the center of celebrity, too.

Beth and Joel's relationship did not survive the new strains put on it. Neither of them had time to stay in touch the way they wanted to. Both of them were half in love with their charismatic new bosses. When rumors floated that romance had bloomed at both ends of the odd, four-sided triangle, things were said during the resulting arguments that could not be taken back.
 


~o~O~o~

A little more than an hour's drive away, Beth tried to manage a press conference for Geron Shugart but the news seemed too big for Tampa. Correspondents from all over the world had come to Central Florida's west coast on the rumor that the discoverer of the ultra-humanite particle had made another breakthrough in metahuman research.

And Beth knew that he had, indeed. Somehow excitement communicated from the staff of UHRA to the thronging reporters and bloggers. Some of them famous in their own right, they all wanted to be close to the man they had named Mr. Ultra-Humanite. Even James Olsen, Jr. the famous writer on everything metahuman had shown up.

And Geron, Beth knew, loved it. He'd arranged to make his announcement from a dais that raised his wheelchair high enough that he could look over the crowd and feel their admiration. Beth shook her head, she did love Geron she told herself, but sometimes his vanity was a bit much.

She watched from a lower level of the dais as Geron adjusted his microphone, smiling in that astonishingly brilliant way he had, winning over the crowd before he even said a word.

But he didn't waste any time, "Ladies and gentlemen," he said. "The world has changed and it will never change back. Humanity stands on the doorstep of a new adventure, a path that may take us to the stars – and beyond.

"Walking among us now are the metahumans. Strange visitors from a different sort of reality – one where humans can manipulate the laws of the universe with their minds and with their bodies.

"How do they do it? Well, our best scientists," he paused to smile as if at a little joke, "think that energies not of this universe can be controlled by some people with a certain genetic make-up. My own research has led to these postulated energies being called ultra-humanite particle flux and the research of esteemed British scientist Josephine Cygnet has suggested the presence in some humans of a meta-gene, or metahuman gene by which activation people become more than human."

He took a sip of water from the bottle held in the socket on the arm of his chair. He glanced toward Beth and smiled. She couldn't help it, when he smiled like that, just at her, it thrilled her all the way down to the teen-age girl she used to be.

Geron Shugart turned back to his audience, still drawing out the suspense. He took something out of a side pocket of his chair, it looked a bit like an old fashion cellphone or a remote control. "That turns out not to be the case," he said. "With this device, I can give anyone metahuman powers!"

The reporters could not hold back their questions and the room exploded in furious noise.

 

Geron Shugart at age twelve discovered several things; one being a new way of conceiving of black holes and other cosmic phenomenon as the intrusion of otherspace into ourspace. Those were his terms for his theory. Ordinarily, no one would pay much attention to the cosmological musings of a tween boy but Geron was a prodigy, already a baccalaureate of Princeton and working on a graduate degree at M.I.T.

The second thing he discovered that year was girls. This almost disrupted his thinking entirely, let alone the deep concentration necessary to contemplate the whichness of whatif. Girls fascinated him and he spent pretty much whatever spare time he allowed himself, studying them as he studied stellar dynamics: intensely, intelligently and with an eye toward gathering knowledge that would later advance his aims. A cute kid, Geron became a charming one, and soon had a coterie of female friends, all of whom were eight to ten years older than he.

The third thing he found out that year was why cold weather, physical exertion, and late night studying left him with pains in his extremities and raging headaches. His body did not process certain neuro-transmitters normally and toxic waste products were building up in his peripheral nerves. This would eventually lead to neuropathy, an advancing paralysis and wasting of his limbs, and eventually death as the toxins reached his spine, his neck, his heart and his brain.

Geron was very fond of his brain. "It's where I live," he once told his mother. He considered switching his major field of inquiry from astronomical anomalies to physiology and medicine but despite the legend of Doogie Houser, he knew he would never get his MD sooner than his twentieth birthday.

Besides, his fourth discovery that year changed everything. Geron, along with most of the planet Earth, discovered metahumanity. Suddenly there were strange beings in the world that could violate the normal laws of physics. Seemingly, they could do anything, in particular the Green Lantern with her power ring could do some truly astounding things.

That settled it. Metahumanity became Geron's field of study, combining medicine and physics in a new way. By the time he'd reached his early twenties and had to use braces and crutches to walk, he had become the Director of Metahuman Research at the University of Florida in Tallahassee. As the possibility of a real breakthrough neared, he negotiated a partnership with the University and a mysterious benefactor{1} in his own new company, Ultra-Humanite Research Associates which he moved to Tampa to be further away from interfering faculty types.

Geron preferred the term ultra-humanite to metahuman because he said that the beings who exhibited the new abilities were beyond humanity, not merely alongside it.

Within a very few years, Shugart, though now in a wheelchair had made several breakthroughs{2} in the study of meta-human phenomenon and had provided many clues to the British researchers who discovered the metagene. That nearly derailed Shugart's research. He desperately wanted to know if he had the metagene but an absolutely certain test for it had yet to be developed.

He decided to go on with his own research, trusting other scientists to provide him with complementary breakthroughs that would aid him in finding out what he wanted to know. Basically, how to give himself superpowers which would preserve his life and allow him to go on living in his much admired brain.
 


~o~O~o~

Dolly Sommers examined herself in a mirror before venturing out. The wide-brimmed lavender hat set off her long, blonde hair and bright blue eyes well. Her top almost matched the color of the hat and the sapphire in the middle of her pearl necklace did match her eyes. Gray capris and bright yellow high-heeled sandals completed her look.



 
James Olsen, Action Man himself, always in the forefront of metahuman reporting, attended Geron Shugart's Ultra-Humanite press conference, his trademark fiery red hair standing out in the crowd in spite of him being a slender five-foot-six.

After a long association with Baltimore, Olsen really became famous for being himself only after moving to New York. He'd covered almost every New York metahuman story since then.

His books, "Reporter In Action", "Metahumanity", and "James Olsen: In My Own Write" became instant bestsellers and yet he continued working as an investigative journalist, a job by turns full of grueling boredom and heart-stopping danger.

Some people said that Olsen kept putting himself in the way of metahuman powers in hopes of activating his own metahuman gene. It might even be true.

At only twenty-nine, Olsen was at the top of his chosen career, respected and admired by his peers and with tens of thousands of fans all over the world. Yet, something still drove him to do more, to keep moving, keep investigating, keep finding out.

The same thing perhaps that drove him to have a different street identity in several American cities. In New York, he wandered the boroughs as Matt, the blind street musician, playing his harmonica for coins and watching from behind deeply colored glasses. In Balitimore, with his hair covered by a black wig, he frequented clubs and restaurants as Wayne, the generous hipster with a hundred connections through prostitutes and drug dealers. In D.C. he was Clark, a buttoned-down assistant in an obscure lobbying firm.

And in Miami he was Stormé, a transvestite escort with platinum hair and smoky-pale skin. This was his most startling transformation and his most secret. Only his cousin, Liana Long, knew anything of his life as a barely legal callgirl, collecting information on racketeers, crooked politicians, drug lords and terrorists – and the occasional thousand dollar a night bonus for services rendered.

He'd in fact been in Florida to begin a two-week investigation into ties between the international terror group called F.I.S.T., the Ukrainian mob, and drug smugglers operating out of Belize. The news of Geron Shugart's press conference had altered his plans. Luckily, he had not yet applied the skin dye that changed his freckled complexion to Stá¸rmé's exotic one.

Liana, who worked as a makeup artist in the Florida film business, lived in Tampa so it was just a cab ride from her studio to the hotel near the airport where Shugart would make the announcement that might change the world. Olsen had to be there.
 


  The decolletage showing in her blouse would attract the most attention, as usual, she decided. She could wear a towsack dress or Junior Samples overalls and people would still be looking at her bustline.

At 5'11' without heels, and with a stupefying figure, Dolly knew she dazzled nearly every man who met her. Except one. Despite the rumors, and the break-up of his marriage, Joel Benjamin had never got into Dolly's pants. And it wasn't because she didn't want him to.

She sighed. Joel had taken a much needed day off to get away from Dolly and her problems, she knew. But her number one problem was that the man she loved was afraid of her.

She checked her appearance one more time. She hated going out in public without Joel. He protected her from her fame and the admirers who would crowd her, prevent her from even enjoying something so simple as a caramel latte at the local Starbucks.

It wasn't just that she was a former movie star, or had a hit concert show, or looked like living, breathing pin-up. It was all of those things and the metagene. She had powers and the world was in love with her.

But she only wanted Joel's love. And he was afraid, afraid because he knew her secret. When her metagene activated during that routine traffic accident, she'd been thrilled to find herself getting younger. Fifty-six wasn't old, old – but fifty-six looking nineteen was a whole lot better.

And when she had developed what she called her knack, her power to create light from sound and sound from light, she had been astonished.

Joel had helped her then, working with her to train her talent, to use her powers to put on a show like no one had ever seen. And she'd discovered new fans, at first, a glorious feeling better even than her Hollywood days, which truth to tell had never been quite that much-a-much. L.A. was tired of celebrity even thirty-five years ago.

But then, three weeks after she started performing, sometimes working two shows in the same day in a blur of airports, hotels and arenas, she'd fallen in love with Joel.

And she thought he'd loved her back. But when they had made the first attempt at a little romance, before the rumors even started, before Joel left his wife.... That's when it happened.

The punchline of the metagene joke arrived.

Sighing again, she slipped on a pair of giant sunglasses to hide her face, just a little. Not so that no one would recognize her but so she did not have to look at anyone if she didn't want to. Joel wouldn't be around today to deflect the downside of her celebrity.

Joel. The man she loved, ten years her junior, though he looked old enough to be her father now.

Yes, she had gotten younger. Yes, she had gained strange and wonderful powers. But she had mutated again. The new change wasn't a big one, in fact, no one but Joel had ever seen it. She kept it tucked away....

~o~O~o~

Ross and Joel drowsed away the early afternoon, catching a few small fish which they promptly took off the hook and released.

At one point, Joel gave a deep sigh and flicked his pole from one side of the boat to the other, almost tangling his line with Ross's. "Sorry," he said.

His father sounded so down, Ross wanted to find out what was bugging him, in particular. He could guess but there were so many choices. Maybe that was it, he thought, there's a lot to be concerned with. He did the male thing in the situation; he grunted.

Joel grunted back and they settled in to wait on more fish.

After a bit, Joel said, "You know what worries me? Right now, lots of people are all gung-ho, hey-wow, about these metahuman types. I mean Dolly packs in nine shows a week, sold out shows...." He trailed off.

Ross grunted and said, "But...?"

"Yeah," said Joel. "But there's these protesters in where was it, Chicago, we canceled our shows there. People are afraid of metahumans and you can't blame them. And the government is getting involved, with of all things, kosher superheroes{3}."

They traded grunts and got distracted by a possible nibble.

After a bit, Ross commented, "Then there's that Church of the Other Gods{4} out in California. One's who think the metahumans are the second coming of Thor and Zeus and Shiva. And people claiming to be metahumans who really aren't, like Heidi Montag."

Joel grunted, adding a muttered, "Yeah."

The fish out-waited the fishermen for a bit.

Joel shifted uncomfortably. Ross sensed his father had an important question he wanted to ask. Joel spoke up before Ross made a decision on whether to offer an encouraging grunt.

"What if," said Joel. "What if one of these metahumans wasn't exactly what everyone thought? If there was something a little bit different, more different than ...." He trailed off.

Something about Dolly, Joel supposed. He grunted just as the cellphone he'd put in the tackle box rang. Retrieving it, he looked at the info on the screen. "It's Momma!" he said, surprised.



Footnotes
1. Who put up the money for the Ultra-Humanite Research Associates?

Was it LexCorp, furthering their interests in metahuman research? The newly formed US Government Combined Office of Superhuman Research? The Church of Other Gods, on some sort of holy quest?

The Ghoul, that middle-eastern meta-meddler? Or Latveria, the tiny Baltic state with a metahuman ruler? Black Adam, STAR, China, AIM, Russia, The Hand, ... the list of possible interested organizations is long and scary! <<back

 
2. Power Ratings as developed by Geron Shugart, Mr. Ultra-Humanite.

Metahumans achieve their anomalous manipulations of energy and matter through fluxes of quantum waves named ultra-humanite particles by Geron Shugart of Ultra-Human Research Associates. There was already a Metahuman Research Co-operative Effort organization so G.S. invented the term, Ultra-Human which became part of the name of the particles he discovered.

A first, Shugart postulated a substance he called ultra-humanite that existed in metahumans but later it was discovered that regarding ultra-humanite to be a particle flux fit the observations better.

UHPF is a measure of the antentropic effects of high flux ultra-humanite particle flow. It is denominated in joules or joules per second.

There are four ratings for any source of ultra-humanite flux; peak, sustained, nominal and regenerative. Peak (PUHF), nominal (eNUHF) and regenerative (RUHF) ratings are measured in joules/second (watts). Sustained (StUHF) ratings are just in joules. A million million joules (10^12) is a terajoule, TJ. The Hiroshima bomb released about 60 terajoules in a fraction of a second.

Green Lantern's ring is estimated to have a sustained rating of about 100 TJ, though this may be wildly wrong. Green Lantern is estimated to have a PUHF of 20 TW, also. In other words, at Peak, GL's ring can probably use all of its available energy in five seconds. Normally, though, GL's eNUHF is around 1 GW. The ring's RUHF is unknown but can be guessed to be about 20-100 GW, allowing it to recharge completely in about one day.

The meta-human Terra is figured to have about 10 TJ as StUHF. Her PUHF is about 1 GW, estimated, though this is possibly the least certain of these estimates. And her eNUHF is perhaps 10 MW, with half that or less for RUHF. That's about as much as a large office building uses or a small power plant generates.

Sensation, Dolly Sommers, has StUHF of about 1 TJ. Her PUHF is nearly 1TW, meaning she could, theoretically, release all of her energy in about a second. This would probably be catastrophic for her own physical existence. Her eNUHF is about 5 MW and her RUHF about 1 MW.

All of these estimates may be wildly off since the nature of UHF is that it is antentropic, meaning that it can and frequently does ignore the laws of thermodynamics. The mechanism of this is unknown but the supposition is that ultra-humanite particle flux trades entropy with other dimensional spaces. This is also the only scientific explanation for the phenomenon commonly called magic.

Since all conventional instrumentation depends on the laws of thermodynamics to function, it can be not just difficult but sometimes impossible to actually measure UHF. Even estimating high rates of UHF by observable effects is more or less the same thing as guessing.

In particular, transformative aspects of ultra-humanite particle flux should simply incinerate the transformee. That they don't always do so is not just incredible, it's impossible according to the principles of established science. This is sometimes known as the WTF-go effect, which stands for "Where Thermodynamic Flux go"?

In fact, WTF is a suggested alternate abbreviation for UHF. <<back

 
3. The Combined Office of Superhuman Resources, a joint operation of the Department of Justice and the Department of Health and Human Services, is looking for a few good metahumans to serve as Agents of COSHR. <<back

 
4. The Church of Other Gods (CoOG) was founded by an unknown businessman who believed, or pretended to believe, that the modern metahumans were the return of the old gods, like Thor, Zeus, Aphrodite, Shiva, etc.

Lots of young people have joined and some truly believe, it's becoming a national movement and an international one and is causing a lot of backlash among followers of established religion.

The simple existence of CoOG scared the pajamas off most metahumans. This cult could be the spark that produces a worldwide hatred and fear of metahumanity.

There are several other smaller cults that worship metahumans, some led by their deities, but the CoOG is the largest one. Their largest rival, the MetaChurch has just suffered it's eleventh schism.

And then there's the opposing organizations, the ones that believe that metahumans are demons or fallen angels.

The most prominent of these is EndTimes, Inc. EndTimes owns and operates several magazines, internet sites, a few radio stations and a cable channel. Loosely affiliated with some radical religious organization, EndTimes tries to have it both ways – it's predicting the end of the world based both on religious prophecies and the belief in a secret alien invasion.

Between CoOG and EndTimes and organizations like them, metahumans could suffer a lot of problems. <<back

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm sorry,

Did somebody say "midichlorians"?

Somethings just shouldn't be explained, in my opinion.

Interesting take on Jimmy Olsen, though! And the format was... different. :)

Then don't read comics :)

erin's picture

They're full of handwavium, from Red Suns to Uru Hammers, from Unstable Molecules to Speed Force, explanations are part of the fun of comics.:)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Dial P for Power Girl -1-

Like the nod to Mister Action-Jimmy Olsen and Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. If the Ultra-Humanite is like the one in comics, watch out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Humanite
and the title nods to a special device
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial_H_for_Hero
as for powergirl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Girl
And Deloris looks like Dazzler
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzler

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well, Dolly is Sensation...

erin's picture

Sensation is a character from a comic I wrote for Eclipse back in the '80s but they went belly-up before it got printed. Dazzler will be putting in an appearance, though. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Interesting.

Saw a lot of mostly familiar names in this one, Erin. Jimmy Olsen as Storm? Hmmm. I wonder if... Nah, I'd better leave that one alone. Waay alone.

The Olsen Triplets

erin's picture

That's all I'm going to say. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

*blink blink* Wow. This

*blink blink*

Wow. This really reminds me of something and I can't quite put my finger on it. (Not the story, the format.)

It's kind of like a story and an entertaining resource guide all in one. The one thing I wont to know is: Does Stormy have a mohawk or regular hair? (kidding) (not really, I want to know)¯\(o_º)/¯

"In fact, WTF is a suggested alternate abbreviation for UHF." - Favorite Line.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Science books, news magazines, etc.

erin's picture

The format is a common one, it's just not usually used for fiction.

One of the best uses of it I've seen is in a book called "Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Conspiracy" which is much stranger than fiction. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I can see this is a base on which to work -

Good planning -
As an observation....
Did anyone ever think that any alien from another planet would always be from Earth - what else would you call your own planet?

The Adventures of Dirtman and Dirtgirl on Planet Dirt!

erin's picture

I'm going to use that title someday. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Et Tu, Erin?

terrynaut's picture

This retcon universe story thing has exploded. There are just too many stories to follow, too many crossovers. It's fine with comics because they don't come out very often. Here, the stories are flying fast and low!

I like this story. It's up to Erin's high writing standards and it flows well. The dual column format is interesting but it works.

I really like how science is trying to muscle in on the action here. Those pesky scientists are always trying to explain things. I guess it helps them sleep at night. I'll just sit back and let it all go by like a late night television show.

Oh. I'm assuming that Dolly is intersexed. That's an interesting development.

Thanks for the story!

- Terry

Lots of Stories

erin's picture

I can't keep up either but then I don't read all the comics that come out each week either. :) Sheesh!

I can't do this one more than once a week, I think. So I'm not adding that much to the flood. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Lots of Stories?

Yeah, whoever keeps writing all these stories needs to slow down, I mean...

Oh. Yeah. Never mind! ^_^

Interesting angle on trying to explain metahumanity, who knows, this might even be the correct answer! That hasn't stopped Lex from funding multiple avenues of research, naturally. It's too bad you couldn't get all the scientists working on the Metahuman Factor in the same room to share information; each one of them has a different piece of the puzzle. For example, some people DO know how to accurately test for whether someone has the Factor or not. At least, they sure think they do!

I have to admit, reading this story, I'm very impressed, this looks very polished and professional. I hope one day my writing will look like this!

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

It may look even better shortly :)

erin's picture

I love overkill on explanations when it can be done as sidebars. LOL.

Puddin is giving me some suggestions and caught some typos. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I think I saw one...

Unless you meant "Nu" instead of "No", but I don't nitpick about spelling; as long as I can read it, it's fine. And yeah, the sidebars are an awesome way to prevent infodumping, something I do quite a lot in my stories.

In fact, there's often a lot more I have to say on various topics, but then I'm like "who wants to read me talk about how superpowers work?".

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

Nu equals Well or Now or So in Yiddish :)

erin's picture

It's a filler noise, not a typo. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I have been enlightened!

Thank you for that moment of Zen!

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

An interesting beginning,

An interesting beginning, especially since I am a fan of the old Dial H comics and of Power Girl. Those character notes on the side were informative but just a little distracting though. I am looking forward to reading more.

The waking world is but a dream.