Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2395

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2395
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Walking back to the minibus, we only just made it before the heavens opened and precipitated all around us, people were rushing about like lunatics trying to get back to their cars and campervans—there were loads of those—before they were soaked. “Might as well get back to the B&B,” suggested Si.

“We can’t.”

“Why not, Mummy?”

“The road’s closed until at least six o’clock.”

“Why, the race went through half an hour ago.”

“That’s the way these things are organised—for all we know they might have a road-sweeper van that cleans up the dead riders or spectators.”

“They don’t, do they, Mummy?” asked a concerned Mima.

“Well they can’t leave then on the roadside like dead foxes or badgers.”

“Eeeww,” added Trish.

“Haven’t seen as many up here as down home,” was Danni’s observation.

“Many what?” asked Simon.

“Dead things.”

“Do they leave dead people on the roads?” interjected Livvie.

“Only in Portsmouth,” suggested Si.

“Unless they’re on a cycle path and then we’re allowed to drag them to the gutter,” someone must have pushed my silly button.

“Why do you drag them to the gutter?” asked a horrified Livvie.

“You can’t leave ’em on cycle paths, it could cause an accident, so you dump ’em on the road and big lorries can squish ’em.”

“That is horrible, Daddy,” complained Livvie.

“Saves burning or burying them.”

“That’s true,” agreed Livvie realising he was joking.

“Burnin’ oh bewwyin’ them?”

“Yeah, it’s what we do with dead bodies,” smirked Simon. I felt astonished that given the death of Billie, Mima would know about funereal practices in this country. It appeared she didn’t. I had to stop this now or we’d have more bad dreams tonight.

“It’s stopped raining, how about a sandwich or a biscuit?”

“The worms crawl in and worms crawl out, they go in thin and they come out stout,” gloated Danni. “That’s what happens when they bury ya.”

“Danielle, that’s enough,” I said firmly.

“But it’s true unlike your leaving bodies in the gutter.”

“So does anyone want a sandwich?” None of them did except Danni and Simon of course. I sat and ate an apple, it was all I fancied.

“Mummy, what’s worse than finding a worm in your apple?” asked Livvie suddenly remembering a joke.

“They’re not worms they’re caterpillars of sorts, or the larvae of the coddling moth.” Oops, I was killing her joke, typical teacher. “Um—finding two worms?”

“No,” she shrieked, “Finding half of one.”

“How is that worse?” asked the brain.

“’Cos it means you ate the other half—duh.”

“Ugh, I was gonna have an apple, don’t think I will now,” Trish complained and I admit I did glance at my own apple which made Simon snort, so I didn’t tell him about the fly which landed on his sandwich as he put it in his mouth—too much information.

We ended up sitting in the back of the minibus watching the film of The Princess Bride. I’ve seen it so often I can almost recite the dialogue. Simon fell asleep in the front of the bus while the girls and I cwtched, Cate napping in my arms, the younger girls seated either side of me and Danni sat almost on her own, occasionally muttering about the comics she could have been reading. Such are the joys of family life.

Once we were allowed to leave the campsite where we’d parked, Simon took us back to the guest house. “Mummy?”

“Yes, Danielle.”

“Can Cindy an’ Carly come to stay again?”

“Not for a few weeks,” I felt I needed a bit of a break after this weekend.

She muttered under her breath, “But I can go and see them?”

“I suppose so, I don’t usually stop you. You’ll be on holiday soon, so I want all of you to do any homework you have to do when you finish school not the night before you start back.” I received assorted mutterings to that.

The drive home on the Monday morning was complicated by the fact that we stopped at Southwell, which is the minster or cathedral for Nottingham. I’d been told it was an interesting place and to be sure to visit the minster. Which we did. It’s a big church, not quite on the scale of York or Lincoln, but then it didn’t feel quite as dead as those places did when I visited them, however, the flying Jesus above the high altar didn’t do much for me either. I suspect it’s supposed to be Christ in Majesty but it looked more like he was skydiving sans parachute while wearing a gold lamé dress. Majestic? In a crass sort of way.

However, all that was forgiven when we found the cathedral tea room in the church grounds and Simon treated us to a drink and a snack—the rest of them opted for cheesy jacket spuds but Simon and I had the special, scrambled egg and smoked salmon on a toasted muffin—an English muffin, not yer foreign stuff. It was exactly the sort of thing I fancied eating, light but filling. Simon agreed it was delicious but I wouldn’t let him eat another one—I think—at least I hope, he was joking.

It’s a very small place with a handful of shops and I suspect the last event that happened there was the Battle of nearby Newark (on Trent) in 1644 which was won by the Royalists under Prince Rupert. It felt like the sort of place you went to retire to though there were some very nice houses there and property prices were quite high for a little place in Nottinghamshire.

From there we went back to the M1 via Nottingham, driving past County Hall then through the road works near Nottingham Trent University which all added to slow us down. The M1 was busy and various repairs or extensions to carriageways or barriers added to the ordeal of driving with children. We eventually arrived home about tea time and I’d texted David who laid on a roast chicken dinner for us—it was delicious and I admit I was ready for it.

Getting the kids to bed was another pain—they were all tired—so was I but did eventually win the battle of wills, and they capitulated after I read them a Gaby story—it was either that or the riot act.

Talking of Gaby, I did see a young lad who could quite easily have passed as a girl, blond and about twelve or thirteen, who rode off on a road bike with his dad.

Finally, at ten o’clock I gave in to my fatigue and went to bed, I looked at the Guardian crossword for two minutes before I zonked and stayed comatose until about six the next morning, when I woke remembering I had to get them ready for school and the schools’ quiz. The fun never ends...

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's back to sanity is it?

Too bad about the rain. Should I journey to the UK, I will come as a frog. :)

I wonder if they would permit an 8 foot ladder to see over big bullies?

Gwen

We saw a man

Angharad's picture

with a step ladder on Saturday in Leyburn, I could have done with borrowing it on both days.

Angharad

The rain ...

... has been conspicuous by its absence in Derbyshire (and Norfolk, East Anglia) for the past week or two. It's been pretty wet in Belgium and Northern France, though, as Tour riders (particularly Froome) would no doubt testify. So perhaps your appearance as a frog might, more appropriately perhaps, be reserved for France :)

I've passed through Southwell many times and even stopped in cafes there, particularly as it's a popular check point in cycle Audax events, but never, ever set foot in the Minster. I noticed last year when we had lunch in the Minster cafe on a tandem ride there was a charge to go in. So being a tight-arsed atheist might be one of the reasons :) We do often have a picnic lunch in church graveyards because there's usually a seat and the residents are very quiet and don't complain.

Thanks, Ang

Robi

Worms...

Back when I was a kid, the "poem" went:

The worms go in
the worms go out
and then they play pinochle on your snout.

Fun, huh...

Thanks for the story. Sad they keep teasing Meems so much. She's such a nice kid, and takes what she's told at face value. I'm glad she made it through the weekend without an incident.

Annette

While I'm not religious myself I do sometimes admire

the art and architecture done in the name of religion. This one just about had me rolling on the floor laughing as I visualized it. "It looked more like he was skydiving sans parachute while wearing a gold lamé dress."

Cathy enjoyed her

vist to Southwell it seems, As someone who lives not that far from this delightful market town i can well understand why, On a sunny day there are few better places to spend an happy hour wandering around the myriad of delightful little shops...

Cathy however did miss a chance to show her girls just how lucky they are , On the outskirts of Southwell is a workhouse, Preserved by the National Trust its a fascinating reminder of days gone by... Not for these unlucky children whose parents fell on hard times was there a trip to watch a bike race, Life in those days was difficult and many children did not even make it into adulthood ...

Kirri

southwell workhouse/a>

Re Southwell (pronounced Suthle)

Dear Angharad,

in Southwell there is an amazing museum, the Workhouse Museum. It is in a building that was built as a Workhouse, and that was used to house young unmarried mothers as late as the 1950s. Besides the original furnishings and tools the inmates had to work with, there are videos reconstructing through actors how the then worthies like the Mayor, the Magistrate and the Vicar, treated the poor who came under their control. Couples were kept apart, men on one floor and women on another, and children were also kept separated and were only allowed to see their mothers on sundays. There was a strict schoolmarm who instructed them in the scriptures and indoctrinated them for the life they were going to grow up in. It was so well done that at one stage I collapsed, weeping. When the staff asked me what was wrong I told them, my Father was born in a Workhouse. I understood suddenly why he never told my Sister and I anything about his life growing up.

I would like all polits, lawyers and magistrates, and social workers to have to see this place as part of their training. I am soooo glad that I was not born in the 19th century nor in first two decades of the last one ! The inmates, children as well, were SLAVES !

We made a lot of progress improving the lives of the less wealthy during and after WW2 and up to about the 1980s, but I fear we are now sliding backwards into harsher, more primitive times again. Seeing this place should knock some guilt and sympathy into even the hardest hearts.

I hope you can include a visit for Lady C's brood, next time they pass through.

There is a Doll Museum not far from there too !

Yet another excellent episode, Angharad. Thank you for lighting up our lives.

Briar

Spotty weather around at the moment

Podracer's picture

Sunny for the Tour Yorkshire, while my missus texted of torrents back home, and water too impatient to queue for the downspouts. Then it rained ALL of Thursday.

Mmm - tuna spud at the cathedral tearoom ;)

Southwell.jpg

"Reach for the sun."