The Price to Pay - Vol. 1.03 - Prospects

Printer-friendly version
           She leaned forward and gave me a soft, lingering kiss and then after whispering softly in my ear, "I love you Celyn," she was up and walking away and with a little embarrassed wave she had left.............
The Price to Pay - Vol. 1.3 - Prospects

by Alys


Part 3
 

Hospital wards are not the best places to sleep in the evening. First there is the light, the nurses station has lights on all night so there is only a dimming rather than a complete darkness. Then there is the temperature, most hospitals are at a constant temperature day and night so it is invariably too warm. Finally you are often unfortunate with the people who are sharing your ward. I was quite lucky in some ways there were no urgent admissions during the night and no-one died, but the noise of the five other patients shuffling in their beds, breathing heavily , occasionally snoring, in their sleep was impossible to ignore.

By about 4am, after a few hours fitful sleep, I had given up on getting back in the arms of Morpheus and so I was listening to some Artic Monkeys on my Ipod.


"I bet you'd look on the dance floor......"

..made me think nice thoughts of Meryl. I had got to know her through the town cycling club. We were neither of us super bike nuts but we liked to go to the club as a break from our usual training routine. We liked similar music, films and books. We hadn't been out on many dates as such, but had reached a stage where we were acknowledged as a 'couple' by our mutual friends. I wasn't sure if she would have much time to come to the hospital since it was a school day. I hoped she would be able to call in at some point.

"You're awake early, love," came the voice of Bridgit, one of the night staff, over the low volume of my Ipod.

"Yes, couldn't sleep, it's a bit hot here" I replied, taking one of the earphones out my ear to engage with the friendly, but tired looking nurse.

Bridgit sat on my bed.

"I guess you'll be going home today and can sleep in your own bed tonight"

"Yes, I hope so, I feel fine now"

"Once you get the all clear from your results, they'll let you go. I think the first doctors' round is mid-morning. Is it Cwm Wysg you go to?" she asked.

"Yes"

"My son goes there, he's in year 7. He told me that your football team won the school's cup for the first time. He watched the game. Did you go?"

I laughed.

"I scored the winning goal"

"That was you? Really? He told me all about it, he said it was amazing, like watching a Brazilian footballer. But you're much too young to be playing for the first team surely?"

I shrugged my shoulders

"It's just something that I seem to be good at, I guess I'm lucky"

She sat there for a little while longer and we chatted first of all about my family and then she told me her son, Eifion, who she was really proud of but who had quite a difficult life since her husband had left her for a younger woman and she had had to increase her hours at work. He was really keen on football but she was unable to let him go to training since she had to leave him with her mother when she was working and this clashed with the training times. I suggested that she let him train in school and since he would be traveling in a similar direction home to me, I could accompany him.

"Thanks, that's a very generous offer, he will be so excited about meeting you. Sorry I'd better go and finish my paperwork before the hand over. You try and get some more rest before breakfast comes around"

Bridgit squeezed my shoulder lightly and went back to the nurse station, where she was soon engrossed in filling in forms and ticking boxes.

The time dragged, with a little interruption at about 6 for the morning cuppa. Even though I didn't usually drink tea, it was something to do to break up the boredom a little. I lay back with my Ipod and rested, my lack of sleep caught up my me and I dozed.

"Wake up young man," said the middle aged woman in the purple hospital outfit as she gently shook me, "it's time for breakfast. Nothing else till elevenses so you had better get something or you'll be starving"

The prospect of hospital food wasn't that appealing but since I had no other invitations at that point I chose some cereal, milk and some toast. I was sitting there thinking about how I was missing the adulation and glory of the school assembly when I was shaken from my reverie by a welcome, friendly face and a warm greeting.

"Hey Celyn!"

I looked up to see Meryl bounding towards me in her usual energetic but graceful way. I only just managed to put my breakfast tray down before she was engulfing me in an urgent hug.

"Oh Celyn, I was so worried about you yesterday," Meryl said after we had dis-engaged and she was sitting on my bed, holding my hand.

"I'm so glad that you are OK now. When are you coming out? What about coming back to school? You're going to miss the announcement in school, that's a shame..but I suppose"

I put my finger on her lip, she took the hint and paused her usual motormouth impression.

"Hey sweetie," I said softly, "one thing at a time. I'll hopefully be out today and maybe back in school tomorrow or the day after. I'll still be the conquering hero, unless Ceri has won the lottery yet!"

We both laughed, our friend Ceri declared every week that this was 'the week' that his winning lottery system would finally take him away from his ordinary life to the one of his fantasies on a small island in the Aegean, living in his marble palace with all creature comforts possible.

"How come you are here anyway," I asked Meryl

"My Dad dropped me in, but he says I can only stay for a few minutes otherwise he will be late for work. Oh there he is now"

I looked up and noticed Meryl's father smiling at us but tapping his watch to indicate that it was time for them to leave.

"Oh I am sorry Celyn, I have to go now. I wish I could stay longer," continued Meryl.

She leaned forward and gave me a soft, lingering kiss and then after whispering softly in my ear, "I love you Celyn," she was up and walking away and with a little embarrassed wave she had left the ward in the company of her father.

I sat back against the pillows on my bed, feeling a bit surprised by the unexpected intensity of her reaction to me. I wasn't sure if my feelings for her were as intense yet. It would be something to explore over time. I was looking forward to being alone more often with Meryl now that our respective sports' seasons were winding down.

After that brief, pleasant break in the hospital monotony. I returned to my own music and leafing through some of the magazines that my parents had left the day before. The new nurses did their usual blood pressure and temperature checks but otherwise nothing of note happened for a couple of hours.

There was a commotion on the wards as visiting time arrived and there was a sudden flow of anxious, relieved, happy and sad relatives, and friends, arriving laden with various supplies to slightly lessen the burden of hospital living. My parents arrived in the company of a middle aged, slightly out of condition man clutching a briefcase.

"Hello sweetheart," came the cheery voice of my Mother, "are you feeling better today?"

"Yes, thanks Mum" I replied looking quizzically at her and glancing at this stranger.

"Son," said my Father, "this is Mr Jenkins, he's the Welsh scout for guess who?"

"Man U?," I replied uncertainly.

He nodded assent.

"Hello, Celyn. I'm sorry to hear that you had to go to hospital after playing so well in the cup final" said Mr Jenkins.

"Were you there?", I asked in great surprise.

"Yes, and it's not the first time I've seen you play, although you weren't at your best in the game. I suppose the visit to the hospital explains that. That was a terrific winning goal, though"

I thanked Mr Jenkins for his comment. He continued, explaining about his role as scout in Wales for the mighty Manchester United. How he would check out promising players and they would invite them to training sessions.

I listened intently as he described something approaching my greatest wish, to be able to play at Old Trafford.

"Celyn, Mr Jenkins has an offer for you," announced my Mother, interrupting me asking yet another question about all the famous players and coaches that the scout had met.

"Ah yes, sorry Mr and Mrs Morus I am taking up too much of your visiting time with your son. Well Celyn this is the situation, if you are interested I have an invitation for you to come for a two week training session at Easter, with the possibility of signing as an apprentice player soon after, if you continue to develop as you have so far. From what I have seen you already have all the skills and once you get a little bigger then you have a great chance of being a professional, if that is what you wish"

"Oh yes, I'd love to come. That sounds great, thanks, nothing will hold me back from this chance"

Mr Jenkins smiled, excused himself and left. I was like a bottle of lemonade for a while after and couldn't stop myself talking about the offer and all the possible implications. My Mother and Father were happy to play along with my enthusiasm and for a little while we were lost in a world of travel plans and 'what if' scenarios.

"Oh I think that's Doctor Johnson, he was the specialist who operated on you yesterday Celyn," said my Father, "I think I'll just pop over to see if there is any news about when the results are due, back in a minute"

My Mother and I carried on chatting, now about my sister, the bane of her life, while my Father walked over to Dr Johnson and his team as they were making their way slowly round the patients in the opposite ward. My Father caught the doctor's attention and there was a brief exchange, which seemed to indicate that there was no news so far. Then just as Dr Johnson was turning away, back to his team I saw him take a little black object out of his pocket, which I guessed to be a pager.

He called to my Father and then the two of them walked a little away from the rest of Dr Johnson's team and engaged in an intense conversation. Finally my Father walked away, back towards us, he looked shocked about something, the colour had almost drained from his face. He indicated for my Mother to come over, she excused herself and walked over to him. He whispered something in her ear. She turned to look at me and I could see tears begin to stream down her face.

My Father placed his arm over her shoulders and slowly they walked back towards me. I had a sense of foreboding as they sat down next to me again. I waited for one of them to explain. My Father held my weeping Mother to his chest. Finally he looked up at me and I could see tears in his eyes too.

"Celyn, the doctor just had the results of the tests," he spoke softly.

"How can life be this cruel!", said my Mother, angrily between her sobs.

"What is it Dad" I asked, my level of anxiety going through the roof

"We must be strong for him, dear," said my Father to my Mother. He turned towards me again.

"It's bad news, son"

"How bad?"

"Very bad"

"Is it cancer, Dad?"

"Yes"

"Am I going to die?"

There was a long pause, eventually my Father looked me directly in the eye and said:-

"Yes"


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part Three

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How Cruel Can Life Be Indeed

Here Celyn has the offer of a lifetime and now he receives the most devastating news possible. Alys, You have written a wonderful story that has your audience cheering for the hero. I enjoyed the first series and am enjoying this one as well. Will you tell what happens to Celyn after the events of the first series? Keep up the good work.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This is a nice story

Angharad's picture

it loses some of its impact because we know what happens, but I'm still enjoying how it gets there. Celyn tlawd. 8(

Angharad

Angharad

seconded

kristina l s's picture

It's nice to have a bit of the backstory filled in even though we know where it's going. Good job on this so far.

Kristina

I was frustrated with you at first.

Gwen I was sort of, well, angry when the story first started out. I was just burning to know what was going on. Now, I begin to see your method and while it still makes me complain piteously, I love the way you write. I am truely looking forward to more stories from you.
Gwen Brown

Prequel - Sequel

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Here are some thoughts about this series. The reason for the prequel is that this is the way I originally envisaged the story beginning but for some reason, maybe because I thought it would be more dramatic, I decided to start it later.

I wrote a positive conclusion to the first series and had decided to move onto something completely different, thus Rainbow Girl, But I couldn't stop thinking about the back story to 'The Price to Pay', which was in my head but no-one else was able to share. I guess the device of a Prequel is a bit clumsy (but if it's good enough for George Lucas.......lol). Anyway I hope you all continue to enjoy the trials and tribulations of our hero/heroine. I'm thinking about 10 episodes, there's something complete about that number.

As to a sequel, it's a thought, certainly there are lots of ways things could go. Not sure yet.

Hugs

Alys

Nice however you did it

So long as Darth Vader doesn't show up, George can't complain.

So it's hopeless which explains the choice she made. I still wonder about the girlfriend but then much of the main series was the vacation overseas. I can't see the girl leaving him/her in the lurch. You'd think she'd stay a friend if she can't be her lover. I would think she'd be his girl coach to counter his/her over the top mom.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

You Got Me Crying

joannebarbarella's picture

Again, Alys, even though I know it turns out sort of all right in the end. "A bottle of lemonade", lovely,
Hugs,
Joanne

I guess...

...that the cancer hasn't metastasised too far, as courtesy of previous comments he apparently lives at least another two years (and quite probably beyond, since you've started writing the fifth book of the series).

Dad's "Yes" seemed a little blunt - normally even if a cancer has reached metastasis there's usually the possibility of treatment to send it into remission.

Puzzling - but all will no doubt be revealed as I read on...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!