The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.03 - Resolve?

Printer-friendly version
           "Remember Celyn," Heulwen had said on more than one occasion," life is worth living, however hard it may appear"

I had often wondered whether I would have got through the last eighteen months without having met her.

The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.3 - Resolve?

by Alys


Part 3
 

I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling, my eye followed the hairline crack in the plaster from the light fitting to the wall and back again. My Ipod earphones were throbbing with one of favourite oldie songs by The Who, also popular with my parents. The organ intro started up for the tenth time followed by the power chords and I followed the words until the so apt chorus -"we won't get fooled again"

I considered my situation and the question that was constantly in my mind was 'Why?". I had ridden home on my bike in a daze. It was one thing to be insulted by fellow pupils and I had expected a little of that even with the full support of the school for me returning after my gender shift. But to be publicly humiliated by a teacher! It was so much more hurtful for being unexpected. Especially from a teacher whom I had seemed to get along with before. Even getting the top grade in his subject in the summer's exams hadn't been enough to overcome what deep, hardened prejudice he obviously felt towards me.

My phone beeped. I picked it up to read the message.

'r u ok? xx Siá´n'

I put the phone back down. What could I say?

My phone beeped again and then again before I could pick it up. I read the supportive messages from Meryl and Sioned.

I considered for a few minutes and then typed a group reply.

'am ok, sleep now, talk l8r msn'

I didn't really feel like communicating with anyone at that moment. Even though I knew my friends were all well meaning I couldn't see how they could understand how I felt. I dreaded my parents coming home and having to explain to them. I suddenly felt the need to escape from having to discuss my 'problems' again.

A light breeze touched the curtains of my bedroom window gently. I looked outside at the warm, sunny early Autumn afternoon. Quickly I changed from my school clothes to my cycling outfit and within a couple of minutes was pedalling at a fast pace on the main road.

At first I cycled with no particular direction in mind, just enjoying the wind in my face, the rhythm of my body movements and the sights and sounds of the surrounding countryside. Nealy an hour later my various turns at junctions had taken me to the village of Penperlleni. The vague purpose, that had been in the back of my mind, suddenly crystallised into a definite destination.

I wheeled my bike through the rusting gate, along the uneven path to the small headstone in the corner of the graveyard.


Er Serchus Cof am Heulwen Dafis
12.2.1997-23.4.2007
Ysbrydoliaeth i bawb
'Gwyn eu byd y rhai pur o galon'*

I sat down on the grass next to the grave. I reached over to remove some of the dead flowers from the latest bunch that had been placed in front of the stone. It had been a couple of months since I had last visited the resting place of my friend from the hospice. Every time I came, even though I was an atheist, I felt her presence and always went away more settled and relaxed. I remembered some of the conversations we had had as I sat in peace and quiet.

"Remember Celyn," Heulwen had said on more than one occasion," life is worth living, however hard it may appear"

I had often wondered whether I would have got through the last eighteen months without having met her.

Some time later I shivered a little as an early evening cooling whisper of wind brushed my face. I stood up and moved over to the stone. I leant down and kissed it.

"Diolch Heulwen**." I said quietly, before turning and walking out with my bike to the road.

It was almost dark by the time I arrived home. My parents were waiting for me in the kitchen.

"Hi Celyn," said my Mother," where have you been? We were worried?"

"I went for a ride Mum," I replied," why were you worried?"

"Siá´n phoned." answered my Dad.

"Oh, what did he say?"

"He told us what happened," stated my Dad, firmly," I have a mind to go and brick the windows of that bastard Franklin!"

My Mother put her hand on my Father's.

"Gareth violence is not the answer, you know that. We must go and see Mrs Williams and make sure that school disciplines this teacher," said my Mother quietly.

"Yes, Dad, she will see support me on this I'm sure." I added.

"I hope so," my Father responded," in the meantime, until we can arrange to see her, I think you should stay home. I'll ring the school and explain tomorrow."

I wasn't unhappy at that prospect.

Two days later, I was sitting in the reception area of the head-teacher's office. I felt a sense of déjá  vu as I sat there once again looking at the photos on the wall. My parents sat there next to me. The hustle and bustle of the school was around us. Through the open door into the main corridor I saw pupils and teachers passing each other. A small boy I remembered from the previous day looked into the waiting room, where I was, as he walked past. He stopped as he recognised me. We had brief eye contact before he was moved along by the bark of the teacher on duty in the corridor. I pondered his behaviour but my reverie was quickly interrupted as we were ushered in to see Mrs Williams.

After some brief pleasantries were exchanged, Mrs Williams, looking stern, came to the point.

"I have spoken to Mr Franklin and some of the students who were in the particular class." She said.

"I hope you have disciplined him for his insult to my daughter," interjected my Father.

Mrs Williams took a deep breath.

"If you will let me finish, Mr Morus," she said icily, " I have discussed the situation with the teacher in question and with those students who were not known to be Celyn's friends in the class to ensure an objective viewpoint. It seems that their memory of the incident, which is consistent, is at variance to the accusations you and your daughter are making"

"The lying bastards!" said my Father, almost yelling.

"Please Mr Morus! I would be grateful if you could contain yourself and listen," said the headteacher, a little angrily.

"Mr Franklin is sorry that you felt offended Celyn. He has explained that, after you walked out, which I am a very disappointed about, he had discussed gender diversity with the class as part of his introduction to the topic"

As I listened to this distortion of the truth I felt like following my Father in his accusation. The others had mentioned that Franklinstein had tried to cover his ass with a few vague comments after I had left. Mrs Williams had obviously swallowed his story backed up by the rugby team neanderthals in the class.

I switched off from the conversation at that point. It continued for a few more minutes with Franklinstein being defended by his superior and my parents sticking to their support for me and my version of events. Mrs Williams attempted to end the interview.

"I am sorry, I must bring this discussion to an end, I have an important meeting with the Governors of the school later on and I must prepare some figures for it."

"I see," said my Mother, who had been quiet up to that point," under the circumstances it looks like we will have to consider alternative educational provision for our daughter then"

"That is your choice, of course Mrs Morus," replied Mrs Williams," obviously I would be sad to see Celyn leave. I am happy for her to be here but I hope you understand that I have a school to run and must consider the welfare of all members of the school community"

We left the school admin block and walked in silence to the car. Mum and Dad got into the car.

"I think I'll stay and try and see Mr Hughes, you know, he's the head of the sixth form."

"Why, love?" asked my Mother.

"Well if I leave I'll need a letter from him, well at least it would be useful, so that I could get admission somewhere else, and I want to tell Siá´n and the gang what happened." I said.

"OK, Celyn," said my Dad," see you later"

I watched for a few seconds, waving at them driving out of the school, before turning back towards the admin block. I knocked on the door of the head of sixth form, but there was no answer. I looked at my watch, half an hour to break time. I decided to go for a walk. A few minutes later I found myself standing next to a tree, between the school playing fields and the changing rooms. I stood and watched a group of younger pupils, year 7 or 8 boys*** playing a practice game of rugby. Although it had never been my game of choice I appreciated the skill involved in it. Some of the young players looked talented too. I wondered which ones would eventually make the photo display in the head-teacher's reception.

One of the players stood out for different reasons. I realised that it was the boy who seemed to have some sort of fixation on me. The thing that attracted my attention was not his skill but his ineptitude. The few times he was given a pass he just threw it away quickly and aimlessly, to the increasing ire of his teammates. Eventually the sports teacher lost his temper.

"Evans you are a waste of space, go and have a shower!" he shouted at the hapless player.

The young boy ran towards the changing room, I saw tears rolling down his muddy face.

"Are you OK?" I asked as he neared me.

He looked up and stared at me, mouth wide open.

"Celyn!"

"You know my name?" I asked.

"Everyone knows your name," he said, wiping some of the wetness from his eyes with the back of his hand.

'Oh notoriety', I thought to myself.

"What's your name?" I asked

"Seren." He replied.

"That's a nice name," I said, although I had never come across a boy with that name before.

"What are you doing here?" He asked after a few seconds silence.

"Watching you be the best rugby player in the school, maybe?" I responded, smiling.

He laughed.

"I know, I'm hopeless, but some of them take it so seriously. Why are you here though, I've never seen a sixth former here before"

"I'm waiting to see the head of sixth form to get a letter so that I can transfer to college"

"Are you leaving? Why?" Seren asked with a surprising level of interest.

"It's a long story, but it seems for the best"

Seren's response came as a surprise. Tears began to well up again in his eyes.

"Please don't leave," he implored, looking into my eye," I'd be alone then"

"What do you mean?" I asked, puzzled.

He paused and coming closer he whispered.

"I'm like you, I want to be a girl"

========================================================================

*In loving memory of Heulwen Dafis
12.2.1997-23.4.2007
Inspiration to everyone
'Blessed are the pure of heart'

**Thankyou Heulwen

*** 11-13 year olds


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part Three

up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If Only Seren Knew

Now that the boy has confided in our reluctant heroine, will she transfer or stay? If she stays, will her friends help that bigot to see the light? There is a lot of potential for this story and it can go in many directions. I feel for our heroine because I was all to often the butt of way too many jokes because of my size.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Alys, I Know I Can't Tell You

joannebarbarella's picture

What to write, but justice will only be served if Celyn stays. To let the prejudiced and ignorant win in this story, which has been heroic in its own way, will not be fair to our (yes, she is ours, not just yours) heroine,
Agonised from Amsterdam,
Joanne

Prejudice

The comments at the end of the previous part all indicated that justice and an ideal world would result in a rally of support for Celyn. I am enjoying this series because the real world keeps intruding. She still has her friends, but the prejudices of other people will remain.

I have enjoyed this series because of Alys’s portrayal of the characters. They come alive in her writing. I expect that Celyn will decide to stay as directly face her future. But in any case I await the next chapter.

DJ

Not always fair, not always just

Ceyln is heroic, no matter what.

She has faced her circumstances and has come to terms with them as much as is humanly possible. She has amazing guidance from a wise child on which she can depend, but not everyone is so lucky. She's fighting entrenched bigotry as well as institutional inertia; she has no obvious leverage in this situation with which to fight - but I could be overlooking something.

I was worried at times that Ceyln's reception at the school was too rosy before, but it does seem to have reality impeding in on this seeming fairy tale - not a guarenteed happy ending. Real life, often to our chagrin, is not always fair and not always just - these are human concepts imposed on the natural world, not natural laws.

I will be interested to see how many of her friends do stick by her as the euphoria of her return wears off and Darth Insidious, aka Franklin & co., have the opportunity to manipulate their ignorance and fears, including Ceyln's own. She didn't decide to become a woman, but she has embraced it as her only, life or death, choice. How will she react to someone who is willing to give up his manhood? Will she be biased against him, someone who can't wait to give up something that she wanted to keep so badly? It looks like she's got a bit more thinking to do....

A very interesting twist....

"All good work is done in defiance of management."
~ Bob Woodward

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Cue The Solicitors

Coming from a litigious society, myself, my first instinct in this situation is "Sue the bastards!" Considering the skewed nature of the investigation, i.e. discounting all evidence and testimony supporting our heroine, Mrs. Williams is as culpable as Franklinstein himself, and that leaves the school somewhat underwater, legally speaking.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised by Mrs. Williams' handling of the matter, since wasn't it her who stood up and read the riot act to the school assembly regarding Celyn's status and rights?

Anyway, calling in "The Briefs*" would seem to be the only way that Celyn could stay in that school, if that's her decision.

_________
* I seem to remember from "Rumpole", the tv series, that British lawyers are sometimes called "briefs". My memory might be faulty, however. Also, I'm not sure whether those are the Solicitors or the trial Barristers.

I'm confused - again. ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

In part two:

** "I am talking about NORMAL people here, Celyn, not fre.....sorry people who refuse to fit in," he replied giving a knowing look to the rest of the class, a few of whom suppressed giggles while most looked shocked. **

Only a few giggled, while MOST looked shocked; the implication is that most heard the comments in the same way Celyn did.

In this part:

** "If you will let me finish, Mr Morus," she said icily, " I have discussed the situation with the teacher in question and with those students who were not known to be Celyn's friends in the class to ensure an objective viewpoint. It seems that their memory of the incident, which is consistent, is at variance to the accusations you and your daughter are making" **

Did Mrs. Williams specifically not talk to any who she considered Celyn's friend, as this implies? Given the quote from part 2, she would have had to have talked with only a small number of students from the class. This does not seem consistent with what we have read previously about Mrs. Williams and her character. Why would she accept so strongly a POV which had to have been rather strongly contradicted by the majority of the students in the class had she asked them?

Are the parents of the students who contradict Celyn's statements very rich and heavy contributors to the school, or something similar affecting Mrs. Williams?

Whatever, something doesn't seem right about this whole scene.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

After being told this by the

After being told this by the young boy, I believe Celyn will stay at the school so he has a friend to turn to that might actually understand what he is going through. I also be Cleyn's parents need to "go after" both the teacher and the school district for the actions and comments of teacher and the head teacher Mrs. Williams. J-Lynn

Something is wrong here...

Are the head and the teacher in the same church or such? Are they lovers or related byblood or marriage.

Listen to what was said about her investgating things.

>>
"If you will let me finish, Mr Morus," she said icily, " I have discussed the situation with the teacher in question and with those students who were not known to be Celyn's friends in the class to ensure an objective viewpoint. It seems that their memory of the incident, which is consistent, is at variance to the accusations you and your daughter are making"
>>

Then the head cut the *discussion* short.

Rarely are any two observers of an incident *consistent* in their stories unless they practiced them together. They might be similar but have contradictions. This smells.

The only people interviewed were the accused and those who aren'rt friends with the accuser? Why wasn't everyone asked about it? That was an investigation guaranteed to bring only one result.It smell. Note in the prev chapterm Celyn's grades were as good or even better than before EXCEPT with this same teacher SINCE with announcement was made. That alone should have been enough to trigger a thourgh investigation of the whole situation with the teacher, not this quickie whitewash.

The other possiblity is the head is near retirement or is in line for a cushyjob elsewhere and she doesn't want controversy or fears Frankenstein has friends in high places.

Celyn should return to school but with a sound recorder as should his friends. Someone will slip up and gloat over it. The recordings might not even be needed. All it would take is the head being seen all chummy/lovey with Frankenstein or the foorball coach over hearing the Neanderthals gloating how they helped the teacher lie to get rid of the Freak.

Nice stuff

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

No one expects.....

the Spanish Inquisition!

Time to call out Torquemada & the comfy chair to get to the bottom of this - something is definitely askew in the way this whole thing is being implemented and dealt with by the school faculty & administration....

Happiness and success are neither necessarily contemporaneous nor connected.
~ Gordon Sumner, quote from a radio interview I heard around 1990

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Any kid that age who likes

Any kid that age who likes to listen to The Who, particularly "We Won't Get Fooled Again", is not a quitter. Celyn needs to get her gang together (for moral support), confront the teacher (letting him know that she will not be putting up with his attitude), and challenge him in class anytime he displays his prejudice. She needs to make sure that she does all the class work and keeps top marks so that she can't be dismissed as some kind of under achieving malcontent. A good student can get away with quite a lot when it comes to confronting a teacher, if done the right way.