Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All (Part 3)

Printer-friendly version
Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All
Part 3

by:
Lilith Langtree


Note to self — buy a styptic pencil to staunch the flow of blood in the future.
Do you know how much it stings when you cut yourself right behind the knee in that really sensitive portion?
Yeah. Ouch.


 
Part 3

I remembered to pick Chloe up on the way to school the next morning. Here's to the power of actually not being an idiot two days in a row. Go me! If you are interested, today's color is beige, regarding my turtleneck sweater, and brown in reference to the color denims I was wearing. Chloe insisted that I wear matching socks and loafers this time. I kind of liked the tennis shoes I was wearing the previous day, but they had dark green striping, which according to Chloe would clash with today's outfit. Huh.

With her guidance I did my own make up in the Beetle as we sat in the parking lot. I didn't do too bad of a job, considering I'm not using a massive amount. The object of passing was to not look like the make up artists at Macys, but to look like you were still learning what works for you.

Today I learned that pink is not a really good color for red heads. Do they write books on this subject or something? You'd think if I could memorize the periodic table of elements that I could figure out a color wheel… whatever that is.

"How'd your study date with Steve go last night?"

I rolled my eyes at her. Yes, I knew she was jerking my chain.

"We wound up skipping Macbeth and went straight into making out on the couch."

She nodded right along with the conversation. "Just as long as you remember to use protection. Lord knows where his master of ceremonies has been."

"Oh," I remarked with a disappointed demeanor. "I have to say that it's amazing what steroids do to the little man." I held up my hand and waved my pinky finger.

"Oh, no. That's just sad," she said with sympathy. "It's the peer pressure, I tell ya. The need to excel at striking a small ball outside of a fence so that you can run around in a circle."

"More of a diamond shape really, Chloe."

"Really?" she inquired in disbelief. "How odd."

"Perhaps, it's a sexual metaphor in regards to latent homosexual repression. I mean think about it. On one hand you have a big strong man holding a long wooden phallic symbol while another man, pitches his ball at the holder of the phallic symbol. Then they all run around and try to tag one another before sliding into home plate. Now this, in turn makes everyone around scream and jump up and down in a decadent euphoria."

I sniffed haughtily. "It's a gay thing."

In mid giggle Chloe looked at her watch. "Time to school it!"

~O~

No, I hadn't noticed before, that Ted was in my homeroom. I was too busy talking to Chloe to notice that he had entered the room and sat three rows over, parallel to us. For those of you geometrically challenged, that means he was in the back row too.

"Attention please." Mr. Walsh stood at the front of the class holding a file folder and looking at his watch. "We have five more minutes before you are dismissed for first period. I need to step next door. Please don't make me come back here to discipline anyone for acting out."

Turning back to Chloe to continue my exciting tale about last night's study session, I noticed it didn't take very long for Mr. Walsh's warning to be ignored.

"Gimmie it back."

Even though we had only spoken for a short while I recognized Ted's voice immediately. I spun around in my seat to see a circle widening around Ted and a shorter, but stouter, boy.

"Wow, dragons. Can you be any more gay, dickhead?"

"Oh, shit," I muttered to myself.

"Jerry Greene," Chloe whispered hurriedly to me. "He's such a dick."

Ted made a grab for the sketchbook, but Jerry pulled it out of the way too quick. "You snooze, you loose, dickhead."

No, I have no idea why I did what I did. Maybe it was the fact that I was wearing an itchy lace bra or something. You know, irritation compounded by more irritation.

"God, you are such an ass, Jerry."

It was almost comical how everyone's attention was on me now. Think Casidhe, think!

"Girl's, may I have your attention please." I stood and offered Jerry Greene into evidence. "Note Jerry's short stature and building upper brow. Sure evidence that in less than three more years he will be paying someone good money to shave his back and in about twenty years praying to God that he still had hair on his head as he rubs Rogaine liberally on his scalp, in a vain attempt to lose the comb-over that is rapidly approaching."

Jerry's jaw loosened.

"Now note, Ted. Tall, a little bit lanky at the moment, but with lankiness comes the impending design of muscled bulk. Note his strong forearms, already."

I couldn't see anything else of his arms because of the bulky flannel shirt he was wearing. At least he had his sleeves roles up a couple of times.

"Yes, he wears braces. That tells me he actually cares about good dental hygiene, thusly good breath, unlike Mr. TroglaGreen here with yesterday's spinach still stuck between his teeth."

No, Jerry didn't have spinach in his teeth, but he didn't know that.

"Ted has a nice thick head of hair, which any enterprising girl, with the ovaries to know, means nice times are ahead with the running fingers. He's gifted artistically in several ways, and that means he's sensitive to what is around him. I.E. sensitive to a girl's needs, if you take my meaning. I for one, am glad he asked me out on a date this Sunday."

I couldn't have timed the bell ringing any better. Ted grabbed his sketchbook while Jerry seethed in embarrassment.

Chloe stepped up behind me as I gave Jerry my narrow eyes. "Ladies and gentleman, it's time for Casidhe to leave the building."

She rushed me out of the room and down the hall at almost a running pace.

"I don't know whether to be proud of you for putting Jerry Greene in the ground socially, or smack you upside the head for virtually declaring Ted Head the catch of the year." Chloe was shaking her head the entire time. "You know you all but said that he was your boyfriend in there, right?"

With an eye roll I slowed down. "Don't be stupid. I was just showing everyone that you can't expect people to look the way they are all their life. I just know what to look for. It's simple human biology."

Chloe sighed dramatically. "Well don't be surprised if Ted declares his undying love on your date."

There was a point being made here… I know there was, wasn't there?

~O~

At my locker, I popped up a magnetized mirror so that I could check my make up on occasion. After switching out a few books and transferring them to my bag, Chloe and I proceeded on to English where, lo and behold, Ted sat in furious work with his sketchbook.

What the hell? Is he in every one of my classes now? Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating. Homeroom wasn't really a class.

Ah good, no sign of the TroglaGreen.

We still had a few minutes until class started so I checked my Blackberry. Hey, whatdoyaknow, perv's! Block, delete. Block, delete. Block, delete. Curiously, I noticed a lack of penis' in today's mail. Huh. Oh, I spoke too soon. Except the picture wasn't a penis this time, but a fairly nice downward view of some guy's muscled chest. I showed Chloe, and she gave a thumb's up for improved camera angle. The lighting could have been better.

~O~

Ah, lunch. I look forward to thee with lurid yearning. Ugh, spaghetti soup type substance. How can someone actually screw up spaghetti? It's noodle's and sauce… and maybe if you aren't a cheapskate, some meat added. Leave it to the girls in white hairnets to profane my meal by watering down the sauce. Cheese broccoli. I can feel it hardening in my stomach right now. Oh, Coke, dear Coke, to your sugary goodness I write a sonnet to thee.

"Ted Head is sitting at the table behind you."

"Shh, I'm tying to keep the broccoli down right now. It keeps moving around in my…"

"WHOA!" came a loud boyish sound before I was covered in today's lunch.

I froze in disbelief, my mouth working like a fish as I wiped a chunk of sauce from my face, but that wasn't all that was going on. I only caught it out of my left eye as the other was occupied with a burning sensation due to, what I'm guessing was, pepper.

A figure flew by me and slammed into whoever bathed me in, what is this?, great, cheese broccoli.

"FIGHT!" several people yelled.

I stood up and flung my hand out to rid me of the grossness when I saw Ted on top of someone, rearing back and slamming his fist repeatedly into their face. Holy crap! He was whaling on him and I could actually hear it when his fist connected.

You know how in all the action movie fight scenes they have sound effects that make you actually think the hit was more than it actually was? Yeah. Ouch.

The fight lasted all of about thirty seconds before some adult, in stretchy gym shorts with a key chain baring about 400 keys on it, pulled Ted off of… oh, that bastard! Jerry Green.

Apparently, Ted's forearms aren't the only part of his arms that are muscled. The TroglaGreen's face was bloody, his nose was obviously broken and I'd kind of be stunned if his jaw wasn't dislocated as well.

Mr. Walsh grabbed a hold of Ted and held him back.

"I saw the whole thing! He did it on purpose! I'll kick his ass!"

Jesus!

Jerry was holding his face and blubbering before I saw a tooth, or actually part of a tooth drop to the floor. Oh, eww. I looked back up at Ted. His face was red with rage as he struggled with Mr. Walsh. The knuckles of his right hand were raw and bleeding freely. Dammit. Turning to the table I grabbed the extra napkins I always got and poured out the remaining ice from my Coke into the middle. Wrapping it up as best as I could, I moved in front of him.

"Ted, stop it," I ordered.

It was like flipping a light switch. I grabbed his injured hand and pressed the makeshift icepack on the worst portion. He flinched only a little as he took me in.

"Casidhe, are you okay?"

Was I okay? Yes, I was covered and currently still dripping Jerry's lunch off of my body. He was bleeding and might have broken his hand on the TroglaGreene's caveman head.

"I'm fine, Ted. We need to get you to the nurse's office."

Mr. Walsh made a quick judgment call. "Casidhe, take him straight there. I'll be there when we sort Mr. Greene out."

I nodded and kept hold of Ted's hand, elevating it higher. "Keep it up here. It's going to hurt like a bitch in a few minutes."

We got two steps away when I stopped. "Chloe, can you grab my stuff, and Ted's too?"

She was still wide-eyed, but semi-lucid. I could tell, because she nodded.

~O~

We slipped through the south side of the office, where Ted indicated the Nurse's office was located. She stuck his hand under cold running water and then patched it with a non-stick pad wrapped in gauze before setting a large ice pack over the top.

"I've called your mother to pick you up. You'll need to get that X-rayed." The nurse apparently had done this before. Huh, who would have thought that High School was rife with trouble-makers and hooligans?

Mr. Walsh entered at that moment carrying a clipboard and a pen with him. Oh, joy. Report time.

"Mr. Head, as I'm sure you know, we have your signature on file, indicating that you are currently aware of school policy regarding fights."

"Hold on!" I stuck my butt in. "Have you seen what Greene did to me?"

It was obvious, because I was still picking noodles out of my hair. In fact I did so once more and tossed it to the ground in front of Mr. Walsh.

I knew what school policy was. Remember, I just signed up for school. Having recently read the student handbook, I felt I was probably the only teen in the school that was most aware of its contents. Fight's are grounds for immediate expulsion. They call it Zero Tolerance.

"Miss, O'Connor, shouldn't you be headed home to clean up?"

I stood up and put myself in between Ted and Mr. Walsh. "I'm a material witness to what happened, as well as a victim of Jerry Greene's bullying. Before you go expelling Ted you might want to refer back to the student handbook in regards to school policy on intimidation."

Mr. Walsh seemed to be measuring me up. I couldn't tell what he was thinking and it was driving me nuts.

"I'd be willing to bet you serious money that if we were to go pull ole Jerry's record right now we'd find incident after incident of minor infractions. I'd be willing to bet that if I were to ask around I could find a number of people that Jerry's been intimidating for the last few years."

At that, I heard Ted snort from behind me.

"Has anything been done about that?"

Mr. Walsh kept an even gaze at me, neither flinching, nor leering. Just level.

"I submit, Mr. Walsh, that Ted has every right as a citizen and minor of this state, to defend himself and others from physical and mental abuse that the administration of this school has failed to protect."

I've got to hand it to Mr. Walsh. He was cool.

"Miss. O'Connor, please go home and get yourself cleaned up."

I really hate being treated like a kid.

I narrowed my eyes at him. It was a stare down. Short lived, yes. I'm too short, dammit.

Instead of going off on more B.S. I decided to take a different sort of action, one that everyone in any position of power understands. Bending down to my backpack, I retrieved my Blackberry and pulled up a number.

"Hi, Carrie, it's Casidhe O'Connor… yeah, I'm fine. Is Sam busy?"

I looked back up at Mr. Walsh, and finally saw him in silent contemplation.

"Hi Sam… yeah, I'm fine." I shuffled a bit to the side to block Mr. Walsh's view of Ted. "Yeah, listen. I want to bring a civil suit up against a fellow classmate and Desmond High School."

Mr. Walsh lowered his clipboard and pulled his hands behind his back.

"Assault. A friend came to my defense and now the school's going to expel him for fighting. They have a no tolerance thing… right." I gave Mr. Walsh a quick, shit-eating, grin. "I'll have his mother get in contact with you… no, I'm paying for it … great. Thanks, Sam. You're the best."

With that, I hung up and stuffed the phone in my back pocket.

"Care to step outside in the hall with me for a moment, Miss O'Connor?"

I turned back and checked on Ted. He looked like he didn't know what to think.

"Sure."

Mr. Walsh held the door open for me and we stepped out. He didn't say anything until he closed the door.

"Touché, Casidhe," he said as he leaned against the wall. "You know it will never get to court."

I nodded. "You know I'm right. Greene is a bully. He got what was coming to him. But I have more than enough money and contacts through my lawyer that I can raise a major stink around here if I wanted."

He shrugged. "Considering incident's like Columbine and others you'd probably be right. I don't approve of bullies, Casidhe, but what Ted did in response was overboard."

I thought on it for a second. "You're right. It was. How about this then? Temporary expulsion. A week. An equal amount for Greene."

"He might have a case against Ted. That boy seriously messed up his face."

I shook my head. "Sam can handle that easy enough about my suspicions about Greene's record hold up, not to mention the amount of people I can probably get to back me up about witnessing the bullying."

"Very true." He stood tall again. "I'll pass it by the principal. I don't see any reason that we can't go with your suggestion."

He got a smile from me on that one. "Thanks, Mr. Walsh."

He nodded at me. "Now, seriously, go home and clean up."

I went back into the nurse's office and grabbed my backpack before I sat down next to Ted.

"It was worth it."

I looked to my side at him. "What?"

"Getting expelled. It was worth it to see Greene eat his own teeth."

Shaking my head in response I dug out my folio and pulled a business card from inside. "I'm pretty sure that they are only going to suspend you for a week. I kind of talked Mr. Walsh down. He's going to work it out with the principle now."

The fight was obviously lethargic for Ted. I don't think I've seen him so calm. Granted, I've known him for less than a day, but he's not twitched once since I put the ice pack on his knuckles in the lunch room.

"You're freakin' amazing, Casidhe."

That brought the heat to my face, so I shifted the subject. "Here's my lawyer's card. If they give you any crap or a longer suspension than a week, have your mom call that number. I have him under retainer, so it won't cost you a dime."

He looked at the card but didn't take it, so I tucked it in his shirt pocket and patted it down.

"I'll get your assignments and you can come over during the week. I'll make sure you don't fall behind."

"Thanks."

I stood up and let the backpack hang by my side. "Thank you for defending my honor, Ted." Looking down at my ruined clothes I sighed. "Now I'm going home to see if I can get this crap out of my hair. Email me later and let me know what happened."

He nodded. "See ya."

~O~

On the way out I passed Mrs. Head on the sidewalk headed inside.

"Dear God, Casidhe! What happened?"

I gave her a sincere smile. "Ted beat the heck out the guy that did this to me."

"Theodore did what?"

"He's quite a guy, your son."

~O~

No, I didn't get sauce all over the interior of the car. I have a garbage bag I usually keep in the trunk. So don't worry. When I got home I stripped at the washing machine and dropped everything in the wash. The mess had sunk down to my panties and bra. Yuck.

After a quick shower to rinse the bulk of the mess off my body I ran a hot bath to soak away some of my tension from the day away. Spying the lavender scented bath beads Chloe bought me, I went ahead and tossed some in. I really didn't want to smell like school spaghetti for the next couple of days.

Yes, I did notice the irony of having lavender bath beads.

Two shampoos and a thick layer of conditioner later, I almost felt normal.

I soaked and then warmed the bath once more. That's when I saw the shower caddy sitting by the toilet, adjacent the bath. Inside were a few disposable razors and some shaving gel. Of course, Chloe had already sprayed some out so there was some dry crusty gel at the tip to give the illuuuusion that I do this often. I swear, the girl could probably pull off the perfect murder if she wanted. Her attention to detail is pretty darn good. On a quick further refection I decided to go ahead and find out what it felt like to actually shave my legs. I'd never done so in the past.

Not that I'm a hairy beast or anything. On the plus side of not being able to produce massive amounts of testosterone… or any for that matter, I was currently blessed with really thin body hair. Well I say body hair; I mean my arms and legs. It's thin and being a red head it's light colored. But I had the urge, yanno?

~O~

Note to self: buy a styptic pencil to staunch the flow of blood in the future. Do you know how much it stings when you cut yourself right behind the knee in that really sensitive portion? Yeah. Ouch.

~O~

Warming the bath one more time, I lay back and enjoyed the unusually sexy feeling of uber-smooth skin. That's when I was rudely interrupted by my cell phone ringing. Upon making note of who was calling, I answered.

"Casidhe's Bath House of pleasure, Casidhe speaking."

The sound of giggling echoed out of the speaker. "You are such a dork."

"Yes, but I'm a lavender smelling dork. It makes all the difference."

I sloshed in the tub.

"What are you doing?"

"Just got done shaving my legs. Now they are as smooth as a baby's butt. Is a baby's butt actually really smooth? Have there been scientific tests run? I'm beginning to become a skeptic."

"Oh my God, shut up." I really enjoy hearing my best friend giggle. She gives good giggle.

"What goes on in the school front?"

"You are officially a celebrity now. But Ted is off the charts. Everyone is talking about how he beat the crap out of Greene because of what the troll did to you. I can also tell you that there won't be a girl around that will date him after that."

I laughed out loud. "Why?"

"You don't mess with a girl's clothes."

"Good point. These freaking things are expensive."

"One other thing you might find of interest."

"What's that?"

"Apparently the rumor mill has gone full blast, and you two are officially/unofficially an item."

I think I sloshed about a gallon of water over the side of the tub when I sat up. "What!"

"Ooop, bell's rung, gotta go!"

"Chloe! Chloe!" I shook the phone like that was going to help. "Chlo?"

"Just kidding," came her voice over the speaker.

"I seriously hate you."

Chloe gave me more giggle while I rolled my eyes.

"It did come up, but I slashed it in the bud. They just think it's really cute that a boy did that for a girl he hardly knew."

"Whew." I leaned back and tried to enjoy the water again.

"But I will tell you this. Sunday when he comes over, you might want to have a sit down and talk things over."

"Why?"

"Check out his sketchbook."

"Oh, I've seen it already. Isn't he really good!"

A short bout of silence came over the phone. "You've seen it… all of it?"

"Uh, no. About the first five pages or so, why?"

I heard Chloe take a deep breath. "Well, it's the last ten you need to pay closer attention to."

A deep feeling of dread passed through me. "Why?"

"They're of you."

"Really? Are you still screwing around?"

"No, I'm really serious."

"Ten?"

"Yeah, and their freaking detailed. I saw them when I picked up his books at lunch. That's what he was working on when jerk-wad Jerry decided he really needed a root canal the hard way."

I heard the bell in the background. "Bell's rung, really this time. Gotta go. Pick me up after school! Bye!"

~O~

Oy. I'm not Jewish, but I think the situation called for a good old fashioned Oy. I'd never be able to pull the yamaka look off. I'm not a beanie type person. Never was. Oh, I guess I'd have to wear a scarf thing over my head since I'm dressing like a girl now. I have no idea. I'm not religious. I know virtually nothing about Jewish people. Oh my God, what the hell am I going to do about Ted?

~O~

I styled my hair and put my bra and panties on. I really need something to fill my bra out. It looks ridiculous against my flat chest. Maybe I could get implants. That would freak Chloe out. Hey girl. Holy shit!

Yep, the double-D milk maiden has arrived.

Okay, my humor is an acquired taste. No implants for me.

I sifted though and found the last outfit that Chloe bought. I had been trying to postpone the obvious, but if I have freshly shaven legs I might as well show them off. It's a Gypsy skirt and a peasant blouse. I really don't have the breasts to pull off a good look with the blouse, but it's cute. I slipped my feet in a pair of sandals and made my way to the make up table.

Yes, I was getting much better at only my second solo attempt. It's really not that hard putting make up on. I just copied what Chloe did. Afterward I stood up and checked myself out in the closet mirror. Yes, I swished the skirt from side to side. Can I help it if I'm really enjoying being a girl?

With a frown I looked down at my plain feet and decided to brave the unknown and try to paint my toenails.

Dammit! How are you suppose to put polish on these little tiny nails without it sloshing all over the skin!

It took me three tries of painting, removing, painting removing to actually get it somewhat respectable. I guess that's why there is an entire profession devoted to doing this. It's a freaking skilled labor job! They probably have to train like electricians or something. The little piggy is a bitch to get right. I'm not even going to go into how screwed up my fingernails are. Forget that mess.

Checking the time I found I still had an hour left until Chloe got out of school. So I signed on to my email and Jesus!

Inbox: 137 New Emails

You've got to be kidding me.

After doing a quick run through, oh great I'm on a mailing list. Spam blocker do your duty! Anyway, I blocked and deleted more pervs. And wow, a whopping seventeen new porn mails, a new personal best for me. One Trojan, pfft, whatever. DIE DIE DIE! I wound up with fifty-three actual emails.

Mostly, they were people wondering what happened at lunch. I set those aside and found three more applicants for tutoring. Uh oh, too many.

I told them to meet me at the flagpole after school and I'd talk to them.

Crap, I'm gonna be late!

I turned off the computer and ran down the stairs.

Note to self: Don't run down stairs in new sandals.

I caught myself hanging on to the banister for dear life after almost taking a nosedive. Once I was on flat ground it was much easier. I dashed out and zipped down to the school. Parking down the street I grabbed my notebook, a pen, and my keys and made my way to the front of the school. Once I got to the parking lot the final bell rang and I slowed down.

I timed it like that, really!

It was still too early for students to be rushing out of the doors, seeing as almost everyone goes to their locker, at the end of the day, anyway. So I sat down on the bricks and had to stand up again because the skirt bunched up under my butt. I smoothed it out and sat down again. Upon further reflection, I crossed my legs at the knee, and leaned over to answer some more emails on my Blackberry.

"Are you Casidhe?"

I looked up and, gulp!, there stood a guy, trim of figure, but it was obvious that he really took care of himself. Dark brown hair, cropped short, and a rectangular face. He had the greyest eyes I had ever seen.

"I…I…" get over it Casidhe! "Uh, yeah, that's me."

"Cool," he sat down next to me and… oh no! I could feel my face heating up. No, not now!

"My teammate, Steve, said that you tutor him in English IV. He said you're really good."

My embarrassment induced frown started to stretch into a smile. "Yeah, we had our first session yesterday."

"Cool."

"Yeah, cool."

Oh my God, if anyone says 'cool' one more time

"So, you need help in English as well?"

He shook his head. "Uh, no. I know it's not on your listed subjects, but do you know anything about Political Science?"

I blinked.

"They offer that here? I thought it was a college level course?"

He nodded in return and dug into his backpack. "It's an AP course. Advanced Placement. If I take the course and a test at the end of the year I can opt out of my first semester in college."

"Cool." I cringed. I must have sounded like a total retard. "Uh, yeah. Anyway, politics is a hobby of mine. Gramps and I spent four months in DC. I learned tons."

His eyes brightened and his smile widened. Dear God, he has perfect teeth.

"Really? That is so cool. I haven't even been out of state, much less to DC."

It was then that I noticed that I'd missed something he said. "I'm sorry, what?"

He chuckled a little. "I asked if you thought that you could help me."

I nodded, almost a little too eagerly. I think I'm turning into a spaz. "I'll need to look at the textbook to see, but I don't know why not."

Without any fanfare he handed it over. Without meaning to, my sandal started dangling from my toes. I realized I was bouncing my foot a little as I sat there with my legs crossed. Trying to ignore my body's attempt to break down I flipped open the book to the table of contents and scanned the page.

"What are you working on that you need help with?"

He didn't even skip a beat. "Constitutional interpretation."

Whoa. I really didn't know if I was qualified. It's one thing to have read the Constitution and memorized the Preamble, but to actually give a firm explanation of its meaning? Hell, there were Judges and College professors that have hard times doing something like that.

My lips tightened in resentment at being robbed of a chance to help him. I frowned and gave up. "I'm sorry…" after a quick shot of blood to my face I realized I didn't know his name."

He gave me his toothy smile. "I'm Mark Tanner."

All of the pieces started to fall into place. "You're the Baseball Captain."

He held out his hand and it swallowed up mine. Holy crap. His hands were huge!

"Yep. Steve said you wanted him to kill me for the Captaincy."

I inhaled sharply, and yes, I choked on my own spit. With a violent cough my sandal fell off and I nearly dropped the textbook.

"Whoa, are you okay." He laughed for a second. "I was kidding. He told me how you used baseball to make sense of Macbeth. I thought it was brilliant."

He thought I was brilliant?

Mark got up and grabbed my sandal and knelt to put it back on my foot. He was bent over me and I could see his smooth muscled chest through the opening at the top of his button-down.

"Mark Tanner, what are you doing?"

He jumped, I jumped, we were a couple of Mexican Jumping Beans. I looked up and froze. It was Lisa, the office bitch! She was two steps outside of the front door standing there with her arms crossed, and her face all scrunched up like someone just squeezed a lemon up her butt. Those of you that have had unfortunate experience of having a lemon squeezed up your butt, know how uncomfortable that can be. I'm not saying that I have… I have a vivid imagination, leave me alone.

She all but marched over and stood there while Mark took to his feet.

"Flirting with underclassmen again, Mark?"

"It's not what it looks like, Lisa. I'm trying to get tutoring help for my Poly Sci class."

She looked over at me and then back up. "From a Freshman? How stupid do you think I am?"

"I'm actually a Sophomore." While I should have added, And I think you're pretty freakin' stupid, I didn't feel it was conducive to the conversation.

Giving me a look like a squashed bug on her shoe I glanced over at Mark. "Email me later. We'll set up a time."

She gave me another glare. "He's taken, little freshman. Now piddle off and peddle your bike home."

"Thanks for giving me a ride home, girl."

Ah, Chloe. A lifesaver. I retrieved the key from the pocket in my skirt and handed it to Chloe. "The car's off the street back there. I'll be right behind you."

I gave Miss. Lemon Wedged Lisa a smirk and handed Mark back his textbook. "I'd suggest buying one of those little pocket copies of the Constitution and bring it along when we study."

He looked back and forth between me and Lisa. "Cool, thanks."

At that, I turned and made my way through the throngs of exiting students. Chloe was waiting for me behind the corner of the school. "Busy day today?"

I shook my head in resignation. "Only my life can be this screwed up."

"So, you and Mark?" She gave me a very interested waggle of her eyebrows.

I looked back and saw Lisa dragging him back in the school. Even though she didn't see me I gave her my narrow eyes and stuck my tongue out at her for good measure. With a exaggerated sigh I threw my back up against the brick wall of the school.

"You wanted to know my type? Mark is my type."

I closed my eyes and groaned.

"You don't go half-way on anything do you?"

Snapping my lids back open. "Chloe, he put my sandal back on after it fell off!"

"Cas, he has a girlfriend."

"The bitch! It had to be Lisa, didn't it?"

"Cas, he's way out of your league!"

"Hey!" I took mild offense at that.

"Cas," she edged into me and stage whispered, warningly. "You're a boy."

And just like that, my insides turned to lead.

Photo Credit: Olga http://mgpg.wordpress.com/2006/09/25/olga-super-red/


 
To Be Continued...

up
257 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Really good story

Maddy Bell's picture

Well cool gimme more!

Maddy_bell_Image1_0.jpg     Maddy Bell
Not all blondes are dumb, some of us can talk!

image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

TY!

Thanks Maddy! More coming soon!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Do it Right

I am really enjoying your story, Lilith. I think you have created some very interesting characters, especially Casidhe! and I love the humour.

Looking forward to the next episode...

Pleione

TY!

All the characters are based on people I knew back in High School. The jokes have been updated to protect my actual age. (wink) High School wasn't that long ago... really! Hall & Oats are still a hot band, right? Just kidding. Sorry, I saw a Hall & Oats add at the local Casino. I was like, 'who the hell are they?'

"Whoooa, here she comes... she's a Man-eater!" (snicker) I downloaded a song and almost fell out of my chair, laughing. Give me quintessential artists like Britney Spears any day.

That was a joke.

More coming. I have to write it first! Yay!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Hey! What's wrong with Hall and Oates?

Nothin' wrong with older music! Then again, I collect old records, eight tracks, and so on. Apparently I'm the only person in my age group who includes Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep and Jethro Tull in my list of favorite bands.

I really love the characters in your story. Right now, I'm not sure if Ted is sitting in the 'cute geeky crush' section of the stands or the 'creepy obsessive crush' section, but there really hasn't been enough information yet to figure it out. I'm hoping for the first, though.

Falling for the captain of the baseball team, huh? Won't that be fun to watch!

Melanie E.

TY!

LOL!

Eight tracks still work?

Ted... is Ted. You'll find out more on Sunday... their Sunday, not yours.

Mark has a girlfriend! Gasp!

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Get me some blank 8 tracks, and I can record on them

Am I really that old?
Yes :(

And yes, I do have a working 42 year old Akai 8 track recorder, not just playback.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Hell...

Puddintane's picture

Somewhere in a box, I have a wire recorder from the late Fifties. I tend to hang onto things...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

As I write this ...

... I'm listening to a valve (vacuum tube) VHF radio dating from 1958. It's in almost daily use in my study cum workshop. The frightening thing is I used to repair identical models when they were brand spanking new and the latest technology ... gulp!

We sold wire recorders and I can remember the shock of hearing my own voice when secretly recorded. Sounded awful and nothing like it sounded to me - the accent for a start :)

There's also a valve hifi amplifier in an oak cabinet my dad had made when I was at school. It still works very well. I really must eBay it - it weighs a ton (almost literally) and really gets in the way.

Geoff

LOL!

All of this from a Hall&Oats comment... I love you guys! Real people.

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

UM, what is a wire recorder?

Does it actually use wire? I never saw one. Were they in homes or was this a military thing?

Gwendolyn

They were basically consumer items...

Puddintane's picture

...but never became very popular. Mine is a German model. It's terribly cute, but not very practical, as the recording time topped out at around half an hour, and was expensive compared to the tapes which came along later. You can still find them on eBay, if you just *have* to have one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_recording

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

And if the wire breaks, it takes more than a bit of hi tack tape

to fix it, though often they were welded back together with a hot cigarette. Of course, the magnetization at and near the weld was destroyed by the heat.
The other and more common problem was 'knotting' or snarling, which might make the wire jump from its track, also leaving a small gap.

The first tape recorders were also wire recorders, but in a flattened ribbon form that was less likely to twist, snarl or break, but eventually the plastic ribbon tapes took over for many reason, including better fidelity; lower speeds, which meant longer record and play times; and easier to build mechanisms.

Early development was by Brush Development company which licensed it to AMPEX's Alexander M Poniatoff. where the first practical monaural home recorders, stereo recorders, and the first video recorders were developed.

Puddintane, if you think your wire recorder devours wire, the first video recorders used 2 inch wide tape running at 15 inches per second, with a rapidly spinning head giving it an effective speed of 129 FEET per second.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Early Domestic Tape Recorders

In a comment I made earlier (below somewhere) I mentioned my cousin who bought a tape recorder in 1951; it was a Scophony Baird see: http://www.vintage-technology.info/pages/domestic/scophtape.htm

My cousin's interest in tape recorders began during his army service during WW2 when he worked on captured German tape recorders. Magnetic recording tape was invented in Germany by Semi Joseph Begun.
see: http://inventors.about.com/od/bstartinventors/a/Joseph_Begun...

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

This story is simply brilliant

I can't wait for the next chapter! Great characters, great humor and a fresh angle.

I love it!

TY!

Thank you for your sweet thoughts!

My characters thank you, my sense of humor thanks you and angle "72 degrees" thanks you. (wink)

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

This is still brilliant ...

... and getting brillianter by the episode.

Ted should take great care of his hand. The human mouth and teeth (even orthodontised American teeth) house huge numbers of micro-organisations that can cause all kinds of blood poisoning-type problems. A ex-work colleague of mine admits to thumping someone in the teeth during his misspent youth and had more problems with his fist than the guy who lost the fight had with his broken teeth. So think on!

On rows and columns: If Ted was also on the back row in home room, wouldn't he have been 3 columns over rather than 3 rows? I'm assuming rows go across the class room and columns extend front to back (or vice versa). Not that it matters much, of course.

Blatant cliché count appears to be close to zero in this episode - keep it up :)

Geoff

TY!

I'm sure Ted will find out exactly how much trouble his hand is going to give him. Hopefully the TroglaGreen had his mouth closed when Teed was whaling on him.

Columns don't exist in the classroom, only rows. This is because of the constantly moving desks that the students can't seem to keep in one place. Even the rows aren't in order. Yeah... that's it.

Yay! No blatant Cliches!

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Keep it Coming!

Beverly Colleen's picture

ZOMG! I couldn't stop howling at this latest installment! I have to start wondering if these people and their voices live in your head and actually talk to you and stuff, cuz let me tell you! You have some awesome characterizations going on and I can't wait for more!


Beverly Colleen
www.bevsbalcony.org

**********
I am a leaf on the wind, but someone turned the fan off.

TY!

Shhhh, don't announce it to the whole frikin' world! (wink)

I won't go so far as to say that the characters speak for themselves, but that's a pretty apt description. I'm just typing away and blamb! they won't shut up!

Thanks for reading, Bev... and by the way. You have awesome hair!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

wonderful

It's really one of those wonderful stories I really like. Life seems so great when you read it.

I'm a bit set off with the "You're a boy." from Chloe, I found it pretty hurtful, especially since now, Casidhe seems to even be forgetting she's not like any other girl.

Even though I agree with Chloe, I don't seems to like her being with Mark. I think I prefer Ted. Not that I have something against Mark, but the whole baseball captaincy don't do anything to makes me like him. I think I don't like sports that much. On the other hand, Ted seems to care more for people and I think he would be a better boyfriend for Casidhe.

That's me rambling, but still, I think that perhaps Cas should consider an hormonal therapy. She'd need hormones anyway (I was told that the body can't do without for long), it's not as if her body could produce any. So she might as well start with oestrogens.

Thank you

Mildred

In Ireland...

Puddintane's picture

Casidhe is more common for girls, although there's a lot of confusion with "Casey," which comes from all over and can easily be a boy's name.

I believe the name comes from Ceann (Kyoun - shortened to Cai) Sidhe, "Fairy Head," which can refer either to the reputed cleverness of the Sidhe (Shee or Sì) or to their curly blonde hair.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

TY!

Thanks for the heads up about the name. Yes, I specifically chose Casidhe because it was the Gaelic female version of the name.

A little back story that won't appear in the actual story:

Cas's parents (Americans) chose Cassidy after David Cassidy since Mom was a big Partridge Family fan. Cassidy in my neck of the woods is both a boy's and girl's name. So Mom found an alternate spelling of the name and popped it on her unsuspecting child.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Cassidy...

Puddintane's picture

as the family name (even when used as a given name) is usually spelt as Caiside, and usually said to mean "curly hair," but *we* know they're really the same thing, just looked at in different ways...

Oh, and Casidhe is usually pronounced "Casey" in English, as in Casey at the Bat, although I suppose you could do it any way you liked.

Those baby name books can be deceptive, as most don't include pronunciation guides, just meanings, and sometimes meanings that skirt the core of the matter. It too is unisex in some books, and female in others, depending on who they've collected information from. Spelled Casey, it's totally unisex almost everywhere. Casidhe is mostly a girl name, but sometimes labeled as unisex.

Puddin'
-----------------
The more you squint,
the better you can see it.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

TY!

Thanks for your thoughts!

I plan on taking the "you're a boy" in a different direction. Don't worry. Remember, I'm the anti-cliche queen.

Aww, give Mark a little break. He's really a nice guy. You'll see. I can't give away what I have planned so I can't say any more. But remember... I'm against the cliche 'heroine hooks up with the athlete,' stories.

Don't forget to check the keywords in the story titling. Hormones are in the future.

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

What about

The cliched 'heroine ends up with the geek who really turns out to be a studly guy' story, Hmmm? ;-)

Gee, Chloe really knows how to bust a bubble! But her comment is only technically correct, and Cas's current behavior might call that into doubt. BTW, your give and take banter between Cas and Chloe can be a bit hard to follow at times, a bit more attribution would be nice.

TY!

Ah, echic, Casidhe isn't with anyone yet. She's got someone that is a little obsessed with her at the moment. Remember that I like to take cliches and do other things with them. I'm not saying that she will or won't be with him. It just won't be what you think.

Yes, Chloe means well, it's just her delivery that sucks.

And thank you for your suggestion for dialog.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Do it right 3

Hey Lilith. I have proof this is one heck of a good story so far. When you can drag some of these commentors out of the woodwork and get them to write glowing remarks like they are, its a good thing. The interplay between your characters is superb. Right out of real life. It was superior when she stood up in the classroom and took on the trog. Cut him right off at the knees. Of course, the baseball player is gonna be trouble. Hope the geek makes it out okay. The way he lost it and went crazy is so real it was scary.

TY!

LOL! I'm all about bringing people from out of the closet, whether it be for commenting or the fun stuff.

Yes, I think Ted was a ticking time bomb ready to go off. We'll see how that turns out. As for Mark... well we'll see. (wink)

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

From Zero To Hero

joannebarbarella's picture

Poor Ted! A knight in shining armour and immediately shouldered aside by Prince Charming (glass slipper and all! Such symbolism!). Cas is a wonderful character and I am panting to see how she develops. A very nice slant on the high school TG story,
Joanne

TY!

Don't count Ted out yet. Remember he gets to spend time with Casidhe all week long to catch up on his studies.

Cas is about to get a dose of reality in the next chapter, so lots of character development to come!

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Still simmering away nicely

This episode has all the ingredients which captured my attention when I read part one.

As usual, I particularly enjoy the humour, the banter and the way you observed the characters ("her face all scrunched up like someone just squeezed a lemon up her butt") and look forward to reading more of this engaging tale.

Susie

TY!

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the Lemon thing. LOL!

It's all fun and games until someone slips and winds up with a lemon in their butt.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Casidhe Is Already Endearing Herself

jengrl's picture

Casidhe is already endearing herself to a lot of people. She has a guy fighting for her and a girl ready to pick a catfight with her. I believe she needs to invest in a pair of breastforms that glue on. I believe that Lisa is just itching for a showdown very soon and Cas had better have all of her bases covered because she risks exposure for her lack of anything up top and extra bits below if Lisa starts anything. Great job so far!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

TY!

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe that Casidhe noticed that she needed a little help up top as well, in this latest chapter. We'll see what comes of that. Lots of changes in the very near future.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Whoa!!

Well that was nice. Nothing as good for a cliffhanger as a good swift kick in the teeth.

Geez, what a harsh hurtful end to a chapter. Now you have to post the next chapter really really awful quick,

Jo-Anne

TY!

I'm shooting for tomorrow evening. Poor Casidhe.

D:

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

You have a nicely warped sense of humor

Parts of this chapter were knee-slapping funny.

I like how you have taken clichés or is it more correctly archetypes and twisted them. That's something I like to do and it’s not easy, I don’t always manage it to my satisfaction. You need an odd sense of reality or at least being able to look at it that way.

Our hero(ine) got a dose of reality in being reminded she is still marginally a he. Now grampa was a doctor, did he have the child examined? Not all of the sex hormones come from the ovaries or testis but still you need something or bone density and other things aren’t right. He was just shy of when most boys start to grow fast -- the girls usually beat them by a couple years – when he was mangled and castrated in the blast that orphaned him. Has he ever been evaluated medically since? If not, grandpa for all his former brilliance as a neurosurgeon was a fool. I don’t remember, have you hinted he was TG or at least ambivalent about his sex prior to the blast but then he was still a kid and they are generally fairly amorphous/androgynous until puberty hits.

Lots of questions for him/her to ask the medical specialists and he/she needs to ask them NOW. Meanwhile we get treated to a cast of funny yet believable characters and the heroine’s very wry take on life.

Eagar to see how you work it out for her, she deserves happiness and a bit of a late childhood as grandpa unreasonable isolated him/her as he regretted in his message to him/her in the lawyers office. I got the impression grandpa figured she would end up a girl but couldn’t bring himself to intervene.

I ramble.

Great stuff, keep it up, metaphorically speaking

STOP SNICKERING, people!

-- boy what a bunch of pervs, you make one LITTLE double-entendre oops and … ---

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

TY!

Very good points that you made, John. We haven't really gotten into Casidhe's medical history all that much so that is undecided at this point. I'm not an endocrinologist, or really even all that good at anything medical so I'm at a disadvantage as to exactly what is needed for her condition. But I'll bring those points up later so as to maybe explain some decisions Gramps made.

Yes, Gramps was stupid at points in Cas's social upbringing, but he had reasons to be, which you'll find out later.

No, I have not really mentioned anything pre-embassy about Cas.

As to how Gramps thought Cas would end up... I think you've hit the nail on the head with that one.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I'm guessing on this for the most part but ...

perhaps the injuries from the shrapnel were very obvious if you saw him in the locker-room, his empty, scarred scrotom, maybe part or most of his penis missing(?), whatever, it had to be something grandpa feared would put his grandchild at risk of severe bullying, bullying that on top of the trauma of his injuries and parents disintegration by the bomb that might have drive him to suicide. Gramps was a too protective and realized that too late to do anything about it.

I wonder about that, is he cried out and acceptant of his parent’s horrid death or was it a long time ago, all but forgotten but the monster of PTSD is lurking? Did he ever get to grieve? Did he ever get any counceling? Are there another blood relatives alive or is he all alone?

Still I worry that his/her skeletal and other development has been severely set back and is potentially incomplete or defective. He/she is only a few years away from bone growth ending -- for most men the groth plates fuse by the early 20s at the latest, girls earlier -- so if he or she it to be anywhere near their normal height and build and are to have a strong, healthy bone density intervention is needed now, while it can still be effective. Also if she goes the female route now hormones and human growth hormone would have time to have a significant effect on her body, easing transition, amking her look more a genetic girl.

You likely have some tricks up your sleeves so I wait eagerly. Lord knows if I am close or off in left field and this is a swim meet.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Do It Right

Lilith Well what can I say about this story when you even get a great comment from Maddy B. The story is great and can't hardly wait for more chapters!!! Richard

Richard

TY!

I hold all of my comments at equal value... unless there is a published author or publishing house that want's to comment and maybe sign me up... well, I have to give them more weight, yeah?

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I do believe that Mr. Walsh

I do believe that Mr. Walsh was shocked to find a student that appeared to know the handbook better than he. That sort of stuff does tend to "deflate your sails". I really love your characters that you have created, you have made them all so very lifelike. Looking forward for chapters, Hugs, J-Lynn

TY!

I think Mr. Walsh has realized Cas isn't your average High School teen. True.

I'm glad you've enjoy what I've created!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Great Story

First I want to say that I am really enjoying this story. It's quite well written with excellent dialogue and believable characters. I can't wait for the next chapter to come out.

Secondly for me personally Chloe's comment at the end of this chapter does not bother me at all. We need to remember that Chloe has talked to Cas about this whole thing. Cas has confirmed to Chloe that at this time he is a bisexual crossdresser. He hasn't expressed any desire to become a girl yet. Although as we all expect this will likely change in the near future. As far as I am concerned until Cas makes an outright statement that she wants to be a girl then it is perfectly fine what Chloe said at the end of this chapter. Just my two cents worth.

TY!

Tasha, well said!

That's exactly the way my thought process is working at this point. Chloe was bringing Cas back to reality for a moment. She did is a little rudely, but, that's Chloe. She doesn't hold back any punches.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Great Story

Lili

This is a lovely story, I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks for posting.

Hugs,

Alys

TY!

Thanks you Alys!

It's always nice to hear that!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... Mr. Walsh is well aware that Casidhe is biologically a male.

RE: music. I can remember 1956 when Elvis came out with "Heartbreak Hotel" I was in 7th grade and bought a 78rpm copy; awhile later I bout the 45rpm version; I became a rock 'n roller right at the transition from 78 to 45. Oh, yeah, I had a wire recorder. Tape was scotch :-)

GREAT story!

I'm rooting for Ted. I was him.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

TY!

Hmmm, I will not confirm or deny what is in Mr. Walsh's mind. LOL!

But good observation.

Let's see, we have several Ted fans. No, Mark fans. One Chloe fan. And you all haven't even really met Joann (Monday's tutor session)

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Doing It Right

Not much to add to everyone's comments. I've no real idea where this is headed in the long term (or even how much of a long term we're looking at), but I have the feeling that what we're seeing here, at least potentially, is what people found in Ellen Hayes's Tuck saga before things over in Tuckburg got more serious several years ago: a light touch, classic conversation, memorable characters and an author who would rather buck convention than follow it.

Not that this story is heading in the same direction as Tuck -- Casidhe's a much more self-assured individual than Tuck may ever be, and of course their family situations are totally different. But the appeal seems similar, and like most people who commented here I'm enjoying this a lot and really looking forward to seeing how things resolve themselves.

Eric

TY!

Very good observations, Eric!

I can see certain parallels between the two stories. Not plot, so much, as the points that you made.

Thanks for reading!

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Great work!

Great work, look forward to more.

I like your cliche busting approach, but there is a lot more to it. You did very well in sweeping the readers (at least me) into the perception of Cassidhy as a female and hence your part 3 punch line worked very well. Love the style of humour.

Georg

TY!

That is one thing that was planned from the beginning. You were meant to view Cas as solely female and mostly forgotten of as male. Then BAMB! Reality. Chapter 4 will be a turning point for her.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Every Day, in Every Way…

…this story is getting better and better.

I'm really enjoying your writing, Lili, it's lucid and gramatical in spite of the occasional typo. I'm greedy for more, so please serve up daily helpings. ;-)

I once had an 8-track player in a car (many, many, many years ago—early 1960s, I think) and I have a fine collection of early vintage tape recorders (Ferrograph, Uher, EMI etc) as well as more modern DAT, mini-disc and hard disc recorders. I became hooked on tape recording when an older cousin bought one of the first domestic tape recorders around 1950. We used to have such fun writing and performing police thrillers—I was always "the Inspector"!

Ah, happy days.

Hugs and thank you, Lili, for another excellent posting,

Gabi.

“Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!”

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

TY!

AAArrgg, the typos. LOL. I do occasionally throw one or seven in a chapter. Meh. As far as daily helping... I'll try. Right now I am on a writing spree that I haven't seen in years. As long as the characters are fresh and I don't write myself into a hole, I should be able to keep it up.

And thanks to you for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Wow! Very good.

Okay so let me see. Casidhe came to Ted's rescue by agreeing to tutor him, and Ted defended Casidhe's honor in the lunchroom by beating up the TroglaJerry. I swear though, that it could have been avoided, and taken care of after school. But Ted beat up the poor trogladite, whose brains are somewhere other than his head. Then Casidhe defends Ted's honor by arguing with Mr. Walsh that Ted should only be suspended for a week, but then TroglaJerry should be suspended for a week too. Then Casidhe goes home and cleans up really well, with a shampoo and a nice lavender scented bath, and then agrees to tutor Mark, who just happens to be Lisa's boyfriend. Hmmmm. Suspense, suspense, suspense. I can't wait to find out what Lisa has in that slinky little rebellious head of hers. Will she spill the beans that Casidhe is really a boy? I hope not, because if she does, she could be in trouble for wilfully misleading the teachers into thinking that Casidhe was a girl. Then Casidhe gets slapped in the face like in the Sonic commercials, by being told she is really a boy by Chloe. Hmmmm. More suspense, suspense, suspense.

I really love reading this story because it gets more and more suspenseful as it goes along. A real nail biter, but since I don't bite my nails, I am anxious to see what happens next. Thank you for sharing.

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forebearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

TY!

I'm glad you are enjoying the style I set, Barbara!

One point. Cas made a point for equal punishment for Jerry the troll in her talk with Walsh.

The way you condensed the last chapter made it sound all 90210! LOL. Plot within plots.

Lisa seems to be the key to Chloe being outted. Hmmm, maybe. I cannot confirm nor deny what is in her mind at this point. But I can tell you that she doesn't know that Cas is Cas ... yet. Cas didn't bring her lavender backpack with her this time and she looks much different than the ragamuffin boy she was on the first day.

Thanks for not biting your nails... blech.

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

old time recordings

Right now I am trying to save this story on a wax roll in my Dictaphone, attached to the cassette port on my TI-994A, takes a long............time to down load.

Seriously Lilith, I'm enjoying the character development, something that I am still learning

Is?

Is TI still in business?

I wrote Fan fiction for years. It helps for character development.

Thanks for reading!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Who's Hall and Oats?

I absolutely love this story Lilith. Can't wait for the next installment. I was looking for Hall and Oats in my record collection, but I don't think they recorded on 78's. I believe they would have been between Ellington and Glenn Miller, no? Very well written, Arecee

Soft pop group from the 80's

Puddintane's picture

But not the 1880's, when the big hits were When the Foeman Bares His Steel and When a Felon's Not Engaged in His Employment by W. S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAc5Z89SjH8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSTTTCOHr4

Hall and Oats were much less satisfying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAaFt7_6qvk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vouDK-LELEU

I found them pretentious and self-absorbed, but then I didn't much care for boy bands at the time.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

TY!

Hopefully I'll have something this evening.

Thanks for reading!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Feisty girl

Where to now for Cas? Seems to me our feisty girl has got it bad!
Perhaps all that money might just come in very handy for Cas?.Chloe is a true friend,one that will lookout for our new girl!....Something she may need with a jealous Lisa around.
loving the way this story is going your writing just gets better
.........Hugs Kirri.....

TY!

Thanks Kirri!

Keep reading, girl. Casidhe's life only gets more complicated!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Evil...

... thy name is Lilith Langtree!!

"Evil?" you say, looking shocked!

Yes, and here's why.

Normally, "Crossdressing/ wants to be a girl in high school(or any school, I suppose)" leave me torn. On one hand, I empathize with the character to a degree. Believe me, having been the personal target of my fair share of bullies, I know how life can suck in H.S. However, a lot of stories lean on the 'whine' principle... the more one whines, the more 'real' it is.

I am sure you can see that isn't my favorite.

Then there is the much more rare 'balanced' story, wherein the hero(ine) has some strength and backbone. These I enjoy more, though often there are character/plot holes you can drive a truck through.

Finally, there is the rare jewel. Where the characters feel real. Where at least, in your own head, you know you thought the same things they do(even if you never acted on it!). This is one of those rare jewels.

You make not only the primary characters(at this point, Casidhe and Chloe) real and fleshed, but even the secondary characters feel like they are more than pieces of cardboard set up for props.

And, there is the whole tossing little gems like the following:

She was two steps outside of the front door standing there with her arms crossed, and her face all scrunched up like someone just squeezed a lemon up her butt. Those of you that have had unfortunate experience of having a lemon squeezed up your butt, know how uncomfortable that can be. I'm not saying that I have… I have a vivid imagination, leave me alone.

... that make one fall out of one's chair, laughing one's fool head off!!!

Most distressing, you toss them around like they are industrial diamonds, hardly even worth mentioning. God, I hate you.

Oh, why the Evil comment at the beginning? Because YOU ARE! You are EVIL, Ms. Langtree!!!

.... and addictive. Like Heroin! Grrrrr

(Love your stories. This, and the center, and the others I've read. Keep it up, Girl! You're great!)

Still brilliant!

I love the lawyer bits - especially the home room comparison between Mr. Head and Mr. Green.

Meanwhile, there's still one tutorial position to be filled, and two possible students vying for the slot.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Lisa is one of the candidates... just to add a bit more tension to the story.

As for Chloe's comment at the end - I don't think it was meant with malice - just a reminder that getting into that kind of relationship is a seriously bad idea while Casidhe still has a pygmy python...

Now I wonder if by the end of this series we'll have an "Appliances attached" episode (very cliché), or whether Casidhe somehow manages to remain celibate (anti-cliché)...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All (Part 3)

That redhead seems to be a trouble magnet, which is what's so much fun about the story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Go get'em!

I just love how Casidhe puts the teacher in his place!
And her conversation with Chloe had me gigling!

But Mark commenting on the "murder plot" just took the cake!

Uhoh

I think something just broke inside her.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna