Trey and Me: 3 - My Cousin Grace and the Bridesmaid Dress

Printer-friendly version

Author's note: This is the third story in the Trey and Me series.

I could sit and watch my cousin Grace for hours. She was my hero when I was little. It didn't seem to matter that she was nine years older than me. She was my babysitter. She didn't seem to mind me tagging along with her.

She called me her little shadow. It was hard on me when she went away to college. It seemed like she just got back when she announced to the world she was getting married.

I guess that's why I was excited when my mom said we were going to see her and Aunt Meg and Uncle Carl. And Trey Harrison, well he was a little pissed when I told him we were going away for the weekend.

So here I was, sitting on her bed, watching her do her hair and put on makeup.

"So what's he like?" I said while she toyed around with how she wanted her hair.

"What's who like, Shadow?" she said. She knew who I was talking about. She liked teasing me.

"You know...Bill, the groom," I said, faking like I was irritated. "I mean, how did you know he was the one?"

She laughed.

"Come here, Shadow, sit by me," she said, making room on her stool. She pulled out her lipstick and started putting it on my lips. She also pulled out the eyeliner.

"Hold still," she said, trying to be detailed as she could with her artwork. Oh yeah, did I tell you we've always had this makeup thing going, at least since I was five?

"Well, he's handsome and very sweet," she said as she did her best to doll me up. "We're very different. He's a tough guy, but he really likes to talk. How do I know he's the one? I don't know. I get this feeling in my stomach when I'm around him."

"So that's what it will be like for me?" I said. "I'll get a weird feeling in my stomach?"

"Maybe, Shadow," Grace said. "When the right girl ... or guy ... comes along, you'll know."

Right guy? I didn't say anything.

But I knew she found my confusing gender issues fascinating, in a good, supportive way.

"You know, Taylor, if you do fall in love with a guy, I think that's OK," she said. "You know, mom told me about your date with Trey. I think that's so cute."

"Boys, ewww!" I said, rolling my eyes. "Falling in love, ick!"

"One of these says, Taylor, you will fall in love," she said. "And I'll be reminding you of this conversation."

I was relieved when a knock at the door ended what to me seemed like an awkward conversation.

"Grace, honey, you've got to hurry or you'll be late for the fitting," my Aunt Meg said as she stuck her heard through the door.

"Be right down, mom," Grace said. "Mom, do you mind if Taylor comes with me to the fitting?"

"If his mother doesn't mind, it's OK with me," Aunt Meg said. "But I don't know if Taylor will like hanging around with you and your friends as they get fitted for bridesmaid dresses."

"Shadow just got back from cheerleading camp, mom," Grace said. "I'm sure he doesn't mind being around a bunch of girls."

I told Aunt Meg I didn't have a problem. I told her it would break up the boredom. Truth of the matter, I was really excited about going.

"Have a good time!" mom said as we told her where we were going as we hurried out the door on the way to Grace's car. She didn't seem to notice I was still wearing the lipstick and the eyeliner.

Grace's friends were waiting when we got to Julia's Bridal Shop. Chelsea was Grace's maid of honor. There was also Anna, Jasmine and Christina. They were Grace's sorority sisters from Tech. Grace tried to fill me in on them on the way to the shop, but it was a bit confusing.

I apparently didn't need an introduction. I think I heard "Shadow is so cute" about a thousand times.

The fun part was watching them get fitted for dresses. Grace's "signature" color was "lilac" and watching them model the dresses and get fitted for them was pretty fun. It was almost like being at a fashion show.

Then things got a little weird. I actually thought we were through when Christina was through being fitted for her dress. But I noticed Grace looking at me and having a brainstorming look on her face.

I wasn't the only one to notice. Her friends did too.

"The wheels are turning," Chelsea said. "What are you thinking about, Grace?"

"Ladies, I have an awesome idea," she said.

"We're waiting," Jasmine said.

Then I heard Grace whisper something to them. I heard the word "Shadow", but that was about all I could pick up. Grace then went up front, disappearing from my sight.

Julia, the shop owner, came back with a dress that matched her friends.

"Shadow, come with me," she said, leading me to a changing room. I was blushing the whole time, even more so when I stripped to my underwear and put the dress on.

Like Grace's friends, I walked out and modeled for them. And then I stood still as Julia took my measurements. I was a bit embarrassed when she said I must be a late bloomer, referring to my chest. But she also said I was old enough to be wearing a training bra.

Grace and her friends did their best to keep straight faces, but it didn't entirely work. I heard a few giggles.

"Shadow, you're going to look so beautiful," Grace said, trying to reassure me. Her friends agreed.

She whispered "I'll clear things with our mothers" when I returned wearing my street clothes. I was still pretty much in a state of shock. I tried to act reluctant, but I was really excited about being one of her bridesmaids.

Grace said Bill's cousin Tucker, who was 15, would be added to the groomsmen.

"I've got to tell you Shadow, he's really a hottie," she said as we drove away. "He's going to sweep you off your feet."

I rolled my eyes. I told her I thought that was icky.

"But wait until Trey finds out," I thought. "He's going to be really jealous."

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Fun Continues

Thanks for a new chapter of this delightful story.

Me and My SHadow

RAMI

Just read all 3 stories. I guess Grace, her friends and the Shadow will have great fun preparing for the wedding. Will Shadow be there at the bachelorette party, and will he find the chipendales hunky. Trey would really be upset about that.

RAMI

P.S. How about some flashbacks to the cheerleader camp.

RAMI

Torey, Again you us a another great chapter

l can't wait to see what gonna go down at the wedding! well shadow tell trey about this wedding ( only you know the answer ) and it would be interesting if taylor does go to the bachelorette's party

Cute Torey, Very Cute Chapter. :)

Trey And Me is a wonderfully sweet and sentimental story. And reading it is a pleasure.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine