The Flash - Fastest Woman Alive!

Printer-friendly version
The Flash
A story in Lilith Langtree's Comics Retcon Universe

by Freya

I was running. I did that a lot going all the back to High School when I wanted to clear my head. If I’m frustrated, or confused by a problem from the lab or from my personal life I ran and it helped me think straight. Sometimes when I ran a solution presented itself and I’d show up at the lab in a sweaty tank top and shorts under my lab coat and start working furiously. It got me teased but they didn’t object because they knew if I was doing that I’d have the answer and couldn’t wait or I might lose it again. It also keeps me in shape which my wife appreciates.

There was a new drug on the streets and it was killing people a lot faster than the old ones. It’s always bad when a new drug hits but this one made people briefly superhuman and then killed them after a few weeks of repeated use. This was in Phoenix, Arizona where I was a Police Chemist named Barry Allen.

We needed a test for it and a complete analysis so we could start the process of getting it made illegal. I was one of the guys working on the analysis. I was having trouble isolating one compound. It was seemingly at the core of the effect and so far any attempt at determining its structure caused it to break up. We knew what element went into it what we needed was the formula and the structure. After wrestling with it for several hours I decided I needed a run. I called home and told Iris I’d be working late. She was unsurprised and understanding, she’s always been the best wife a man could ask for and she had papers to grade for her English class anyway.

“Make sure you eat something Barry. Something that didn’t come from a vending machine,” she said over the phone. I smiled, hiding the Twinkies behind me as if she could see them, “Yes dear.”

I could hear her eyes rolling from here, “I’ll be by after I’m finished with these papers to bring you some food if you’re still there. Are you any closer to the answer?”

“I was just about to go running,” I said shrugging. She’d know what that meant. “Well maybe satori will strike while you are out making your feet flatter,” she replied, humor and affection in her voice. “I’ll see you later dear.”

“I love you Iris.”

“I love you too Barry.”
So I went running and by the time I came back I had an idea to try. I had to let myself in because everyone had gone home. It wasn’t like the precinct which has to be open 24/7; we worked odd hours and all of us with 5 years of seniority or more had keys. I was sort of used to working alone. All it meant to me was that I didn’t have to shower or change out of my running clothes; I could jump right in and try out my idea.

It worked too. Soon I had a flask full of the compound and a folder full of notes on how I did it. I grinned and punched the air, “Take that whoever you are! We’ll get this stuff catalogued and outlawed and then you’ll be in trouble. Nobody starts pushing this shit in my hometown.”

I started taking the flask and the folder to the evidence safe where it would be secure until I could come back and tell everyone. I would normally make photocopies and write up a report but it was 2 a.m. and my energy surge at solving the problem was fast receding. I’d lock everything up and do the rest tomorrow.

As I walked down the corridor from my lab to the safe I stopped and looked out at the night through the wall sized picture window. It was a nasty night out with lots of wind and rain and lightning flashing, I hoped Iris wasn’t worried. She was well familiar with my habits but... I decided to call her as soon as I put everything in the safe. Unfortunately I never made it. I don’t remember anything but bright light and pain but I found out what happened later. Lighting hit the glass as I turned away and then hit me. It should have killed me and would have but I as lay there flopping like a fish out of water the concentrated drug spilled into my blood through the cuts the glass made and together with the lightning it activated my metagene complex and instead of dying I changed. That night the Flash was born.

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hi!

I hope you like my contribution. I promise to add more soon.
Please comment!

Awesome!

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Fatalities

I sincerely hope the stuff that Barry's concocted is not as fatal as the original stuff.

That's all for now.
seems to be a very interesting start.
I'll follow it and see.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

The Flash

Interesting

FlashXX

Nice start. I think I'll be following this.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

The Flash

My biggest problem with a female Flash is..well...errr...how will she ever control the jiggle factor while running at super human speeds? I mean even if she is modestly endowed, I cannot imagine a sports bra strong enough to handle the problem, unless the deus ex machina of the power ring generated clothing will do it. Other than that it sounds quite exciting and I look forward to it with great anticipation. You have a great start that pays homage to the classic start fo Barry Allen as the Flash, yet is uniquely reimagined. Keep up the great work.

Ah those Green Rings..

Damn handy things, but I like Lilith's idea for using them a lot better than the old chestnut of 'unstable molecules'. There have been female speedsters in the DCU, however, like Jesse Quick, and this doesn't seem to be a problem for them. Of course, DC uses their own deus ex machina with the "speed force", which grants all sorts of secondary abilities to allow their speedsters to ignore the many problems of running at supersonic speed.

Until we get a better look at how Freya's Flash-Girl achieves her great speed, it's all speculation as to how she'll overcome the, ah, problems of 'jiggle-physics'.

For example, if she's actually a time warper, this won't really come up at all! But the main power of the Flash isn't the speed of movement; most flying heroes can move incredibly fast, and are less limited by terrain or obstacles. The main advantage is speed of thought and reaction time, allowing a speedster to quickly assess situations and make decisions like a supercomputer!

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

More Please

terrynaut's picture

I'll be watching for more. The Flash is one of my favorite superheroes so how could I not love Ms. Flash?

Thanks! I like it so far. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

too short!

aaak! dont leave us hanging there, keep going!

DogSig.png

Speed reading

erin's picture

You're saying it went by too fast? :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Well...

This one went too fast? But it's The Flash! Of course it's fast.

Now the costume thing could be interesting until she works the bugs out of things, don't you think?

Never mind, I'm having a train of evil thoughts here so I'll just go work on Spectre to get them out of my system.

Nice start, by the way.

Maggie

Thanks!

For the kind words Maggie!
I love your work with the Spectre and hope I make Flash as good.

Hi Freya!

I live in Tempe, right next to Phoenix. I didn't hear about the bad drugs in PHX, but I'm sure glad my girlfriend kicked all that stuff and is out of the drug scene. It will be cool to see some really fast womyn around here. I wonder if she'd get into bicycle racing! 8 )

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee