Sam & Jess - 22

Printer-friendly version
“You can have him. I already got the one I want.” I said and looked at Jess.

 

Sam & Jess
Chapter 22
©2010 - Andrea Ribeiro

 

“Good morning, mom.” I said entering the kitchen.

“Good morning, sweetie. Did you sleep well?”

“I guess so. I had a little trouble sleeping at first but when I did I slept well.”

“Feeling nervous about today?”

“A little, I keep wondering how people will react and treat me.”

“I think you will be fine, sweetie. You got a lot of people supporting you already.”

“True, but I still worry.”

“You will be fine, trust me. Also Adam will make sure nothing happens to you.”

“So you two are on first name basis already?”

“Huh? Yes, I guess so.” She said blushing.

“Mom, there is no reason for you to feel embarrassed. He is a nice guy and I hope things go well between the two of you. Dad would want you to be happy, and if Mr. Addams makes you happy I’m sure he would be too.”

“Thanks sweetie, I guess I needed to hear that.” She said hugging me with her eyes filled with tears.

“No crying mom, you’ll mess up your makeup.”

  

###


  

After breakfast I grabbed my backpack and as I exited the house Steph was just about to ring the doorbell.

“Good morning, Steph.”

“Good morning, Sam. Great timing, by the way.”

“Thanks. Hey what’s with the outfit? Aren’t you a little overdressed for school? Let me guess, you want to impress someone, right?”

“Huh? I don’t know what you are talking about.” She said and looked away.

“Come on Steph, I know you. Is it Joan’s brother?”

“Josh? Well…” She was sprouting a very nice shade of red by then.

“I knew it, you like him, don’t you?”

“I guess. It is a little early to tell, but he seems to be a nice guy. Also he seemed to accept you for who you are. I can’t date someone that doesn’t accept my ‘sister’.”

“Thanks for that, sis.” I told her with a smile.

“You are welcome, sis.”

  

###


  

When we arrived at Jess’ home she was already waiting for us. When she saw us she started running and gave me a big kiss, and what a kiss.

“Good morning.” She said after the kiss ended.

“Good morning, I see you are happy to see me.” I told her with a big smile.

“Of course I am.” She told me and gave me another quick kiss.

“Get a room you two.” Steph said.

“Oh. Good morning Steph. Sorry, I didn’t mean to ignore you.”

“I know. You only have eyes for my little sister here.”

“And such pretty eyes they are.” I added.

“Jess, aren’t you a little overdressed for school this morning?” Steph asked and we started to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” She asked looking a bit confused.

“That was exactly one of the first things I asked her this morning.” I told Jess.

“So, are you going to tell me or I’ll have to guess?”

“You’ll have to guess.” I told her.

“You want to impress Josh?”

“Was I that transparent yesterday?” Steph asked us.

“Pretty much.” We both said.

“You think he noticed?” She asked us.

“I’m pretty sure he didn’t, but I think his sisters did.” I said.

“You think so?”

“If we did, they sure did it too.” Jess said.

“Oh God. What will they think of me?” Steph asked looking a little worried.

“I think they will love you like we do when they get to know you better.” I told her.

“What about Josh? Do you think I have a chance with him?”

“I guess you might have, as long he doesn’t have a girlfriend.”

“The way he looked at Joan, I think he doesn’t have one yet.” Jess said.

“What?”

“I think he fancied you a little.” Jess said.

“Even with him knowing about me?”

“Even so.” Jess added.

“How do you feel about that Steph?” I asked her.

“Well, you do have a girlfriend already and he met you before me. So I call dibs on him.” She said and giggled.

“You can have him. I already got the one I want.” I said and looked at Jess.

“Come here.” She said and gave me another kiss.

  

###


  

When we got close to the school we saw a huge commotion happening close to the front doors.

“What is happening?” I asked.

“It seems something is happening, those are journalists.” Jess said.

“Oh no. You think they are looking for me?” I asked.

“How could they? You are just coming back to school today.” Steph added.

“Oh. I guess it’s about Joan.” I said.

“Why do you think that?” Jess asked.

“Remember what I told you yesterday? Miss Jenkins was fired yesterday for trying to attack her. She is a bigot and refused to change her records. She might have called the press and tell them that Joan is a boy in a dress.” I said.

“But Joan is a girl and she has the documents to prove that.” Steph said.

“Since when the press cares about the truth? You know how they portray transgendered people” I said.

“True, but in her case she is genetically a girl, I think they will get in a lot of trouble because of that.” Jess said.

“I sure hope so. Maybe that will draw the attention from me too.”

“I guess that might just happen.” Jess told us.

“Let’s go in and not say a word to them.” Steph said.

We walked toward the school and soon they were all trying to talk to us but we ignore them and soon we entered the building and able to relax.

We started to go to our classes and we met up with Mr. Addams going towards the front door.

“Hi, Mr. Addams.” I said. “Going to take care of the press outside the school?”

“Yes, Sam.” She said. “Do you know why they are here?”

“I think it’s about Joan, they were keeping asking about her, but we didn’t say anything to them. We just ignored them and came inside.” I told him.

“You did well, Sam. Thanks for the information.”

“Thanks Mr. Addams.”

“Now you girls go to your classes before you get late.”

“Yes, sir.” We all said.

  

###


  
“What’s wrong, Sam?” Jess asked me while we were walking to our homeroom class.

“I’m getting a bit nervous. With all the commotion earlier I didn’t think about it, but now I keep wondering how everyone will react to me.”

“Don’t worry about that Sam. We are here with you.” Steph told me and Jess grabbed and squeezed my hand reassuringly.

“Thanks, guys.” I told them.

As soon I entered our homeroom class everyone stopped to talk and looked at us, especially at me.

“SAM!!” Liz yelled and gave me a big hug. “Welcome back girl friend.”

“Thanks Liz.” I said and looked around. People started to whisper and some money exchanged hands around the class.

“What’s going on?” I whispered at Liz.

“It seems some people were betting if you were a boy or a girl for a long time and today they got the results.” She said and giggled. “Now let’s go to our seats and we can talk better later.” She added.

  

###


  

I sat on my usual desk and soon a bunch of girls came to talk to me, some asked me if I was really a girl and others kept saying why took me so long to get rid of the tomboy look and some even said they loved my hair and asked where I cut it. Of course I told them and even said the hair is pretty easy to care for in the mornings, but I plan on letting it grow. Even some of the boys came to talk to me and one even asked me on a date, can you believe that? I guess the rumor grapevine worked better than we hoped for. Not that I don’t expect everyone to accept me that easily. I still got some nasty looks from some people in my class.

The morning went pretty much like this, every time I entered a class people would come talk to me and ask me the same questions all over again and by lunch time I was already tired of all the attention I was getting.

During lunch, after I got my share of the grub they call food I sat down with Jess, Steph, Liz, Mandy and Karen, and not long after that Jenny, Joan and Mindy joined us. Josh escorted them to the table but didn’t sit with us. I can’t blame him. He would end up drowning in our ocean of estrogen. Before he left I noticed him and Steph exchanging glances. ’Hmmm… there is something definitely happening between them.’ I thought to myself.

“Hi guys.” Jenny said.

We all greeted them and soon we were all chatting.

“How is your first day going, Sam?” Joan asked me.

“Pretty good so far, but I sure could use a little less attention though.”

“I know what you are talking about. Yesterday everyone was curious about me.” She said. “Fortunately today things seemed to die down a little bit.”

“Just a little?”

“Yes, the press outside didn’t help.”

“What did they want?” Karen asked.

“I think Miss Jenkins told them that I am a boy in a dress. She doesn’t seem to be able to get that I am genetically a girl.”

“She is such a bigot.” Liz said. “I’m glad she got fired. Maybe now the bullies will have a harder time. I heard she used to cover for them.”

“I can’t understand how someone like her could ever get a job in a school with her attitude.” Mandy said.

“I don’t know, maybe she wasn’t like that when she started. I don’t like to judge people. Bigotry usually doesn’t come naturally, it is taught.” Joan said.

“That’s true.” Jess said.

“Hey, there is still a free spot for one more?” A new girl asked.

“Hi Kelly.” Joan said. “Have a seat.”

“Thanks.” She said.

“I want you to meet Sam, Mandy, Karen, Liz, Jess and Steph. I think you already know Mindy and my sister Jenny.”

“Nice to meet you guys.”

We all greeted her back.

“Oh Mandy, is there space for one more Saturday? Two more actually.” I asked her.

“Of course.” She said. “Who do you want to invite?”

“Kelly and my cousin Diana, she just moved into town and will start school tomorrow.”

“Invite me for what?” Kelly asked.

“For a Slumber party Saturday night, and an afternoon hanging out in the mall and introduce girl shopping to Joan and Sam.” Jess said.

“Oohhh that sounds like fun. I’ll have to ask my mom but I think there will be no problem. How many people are going?” She asked.

“Let me see.” Mandy said. “Me, Karen, Liz, Sam, Steph, Jess, Joan, Mindy, Jenny, You and Joan’s cousin Diana. Eleven people.”

“Wow, that is a big party. It is going to be so fun.” Kelly said. “I never went to a slumber party that big before.”

“I think none of us did.” Mindy said and giggled.

“And I can’t wait to see people’s reaction at the mall when 11 teenage girls start to raid the stores.” Jess said.

“That is something to see.” Karen said.

Too soon the lunch ended and we had to go back to our classes. I just hope things get a little less chaotic this afternoon.

  


  

To be continued....
up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sorry Sam! It don't look like it!

11 girls? Less chaos? Not too likely!
I'm glad to see this episode. I was worried, hadn't had my fix in a while. I had a feeling when I read Joan this morning that the controversy might affect Sam as well. I'm glad it wasn't much, at least so far.
Good story X2!

Wren

Less chaos?

I can't imagine a slumber party with eleven girls anything less than something truly chaotic.

And sorry for taking so long to post a new chapter. My muse kept trying to push me to work but depression can be a real bitch sometimes.

Ninja'ed!

It was my desire to comment on exactly this! :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Sam & Jess - 22

Will be interesting to see what the Press writes.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

dealing with attention

poor Joan, to have to deal with the press. And it could draw unwanted attention to Sam too. Hopefully, the slumber party will keep the girls positive.

DogSig.png

wisdom

Ahh the famous tv slumber parties. (I say TV slumber parties as I've never heard of one actually happening in RL).
I feel jealous of both Sam and Joan for this experience. Where I live it is rare to be able to befriend anyone. The upper middle class does not mix with the impoverished such as I am.

Indeed, you teach a very good point that many adults seem to miss out on. Bigotry IS a learned viewpoint and the constant advertising by the press (for OR against) does not make the issue any better despite any good intentions.

Christi_line_drawingcropped2.jpg
__-=Foxxe=-__

As with most of

what you've written it's highly entertaining. I've liked the story from the start and i'm kind of looking forward to the mall rush, it's kind of research for me. I'm going to agree with Foxxe though, girls that age don't have slumber parties anymore and they seem to be a T story thing. It still doesn't mean they're any less fun to write or read for that matter.

Bailey Summers