Somewhere Else Entirely -40-

Printer-friendly version

Garia learns something about her body's limitations as the days of rain continue. Rosilda introduces the bra to Anmar, Garia educates a Metalsmith about the economics of mass production and the Council learn about thermometers, barometers and fire tenders.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

40 - The Wrong Moon


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Garia leaned forward, her elbows on the windowsill, her chin in her hands, and looked out at the never-ending downpour. It was strange to think that just a week ago every morning was bright sunlight and balmy air, now it was perpetual rain and humidity that would do a sauna proud. The black storm clouds that had so disrupted the palace routine had merged and mellowed so that the sky was now a uniform dull gray, when it could be made out at all, that is.

The Brikants had departed, their procession of carriages and luggage wagons crunching out of the palace yard in a hailstorm, and Garia had initially breathed a sigh of relief. But once everything had settled down into its normal routine she realized just how much she had missed having visitors her own age around the place. Still, there were enough demands on her time, and so...

"Milady? Are we ready?"

"Uh, yes, Jenet. Just thinking about how quiet the palace is now that everyone has gone. And the absence of sunshine isn't helping much."

"As you say, milady. One's heart feels so much happier when the sun is in the sky, even when the day will become very hot. The dark days of rain will not last for long, though, and we are used to it. Once they are finished we will have the cool, crisp days of fall which are much sunnier if not so warm."

"I'm glad to hear it, Jenet. Let's go, then."

They breakfasted as normal in the household dining room. Joining them regularly now was Captain Merek, who was assuming more of the authority he would officially gain when the rains ended, for it would be then that Captain Bleskin properly retired.

"Milady Garia," he said at table, "I am impressed by the speed at which the men have picked up the Tai Chi. Even the dullest among them can pick up such simple movements. When I first watched you do the exercises it seemed you indulged in little more than a girl's dance, but it is now obvious that it is not so."

"Not you as well," rumbled Robanar. "The Queen is pestering me to involve myself in this ritual but I do not have the time."

Beside him Terys did no more than smile at Garia and Merek.

"Uh, Sire," Garia said, "I'm sure that we could come to some arrangement. There is no need for you to worry about it for a month or so, I am quite as busy as you right now."

"Indeed, milady, and I ought to insist that you take some rest," he said. "I have had many years to become accustomed to the load but you are still yet very young as these matters go."

"Sire, I have promised the Queen," who smiled fondly at her, "that I will only labor five days in every seven, but those two days seem to be when things happen to me. I'm hoping that the rains may give me a chance to relax a little more."

"As you say, my dear. But yet you do this exercise every morning."

"Sire, I do. I eat meals every day, too. And sleep every night. Tai Chi once learned is not a chore to do, and once done the rest of the day is available for work, rest or play."

"A good attitude, dear," Terys complimented. "What have you planned for today?"

"Merizel? Rosilda today, I think?"

"That's right, milady, after our nap this afternoon. Then, this evening, a meeting about printing."

"Oh. Okay."

When Garia, Keren and Merizel entered the Large Training Room they noticed at once that there were far more men standing around than there had been the previous few days. She was now teaching Tai Chi to the whole Quadrant first thing every morning, and to accommodate them they had to use the big room. Once finished, the men would do basic drilling or other training while she took her file into the Self Defense Training Room for their own specialized routines. Today there seemed to be nearly double the usual number present, and a lot of those were not wearing guard fatigues.

As they entered Bleskin came up to them and saluted.

"Highness, Milady, good morning! As you see we have inducted some new recruits today. They will not trouble you, they will stand against the walls while you conduct the Tai Chi."

"New recruits, captain?"

"Aye, milady. Since the file that you train will become instructors, their absence leaves other files short. There will no doubt be further instructors to come," she nodded agreement, "and you will of course require your own guard in time."

"Me? I understand the practical reasons, captain, but surely I'm not entitled to my own guard? I would have thought the palace guard would be enough to look after me."

"You are a Baroness in your own right, milady," he pointed out, "and therefore entitled to arrange your own protection. And though you currently reside in the palace, it may not always be so. We are only speaking of a small number of men, in any case. Would you not prefer to have around you those you know well and may trust with your life? The King assumes that you would pick from among his guard, with his full approval, and so we must replenish the ranks."

Garia groaned internally. Not only did she now have a secretary and maids but she would soon have eight or ten men-at-arms! Is this how it starts? I'll have all these people depending on me, and I'm not sure I can cope with it. These people know what they're doing, though, and there's always friendly faces to turn to when I need some help or advice.

"As you say, captain. Well, shall we begin?"

Everybody had begun to understand the Tai Chi by now, and though some were slower than others progress was being made each day. The men could be divided into two, those who 'got it' and a much smaller group who were doing the moves by rote. Discussing the situation afterwards with Bleskin and Merek - who had both started doing the exercises as well - they decided to complete the whole sequence before attempting some remedial work with those who didn't 'get it'.

"Who are all these men?" she asked at the end, pointing to the recruits. "What sort of man wants to join the Palace Guard these days?"

"A wide variety, milady," Merek replied. "There is prestige in being a guardsman, whether of the palace or the city, so there are always applicants when we recruit. Most of those in front of you will be second sons, sons of farmers or tradesmen or merchants from all over Palarand, although of course most are local. There are families whose men have been guardsmen for generations, others who have too many mouths to feed, one or two who have backgrounds they wish to leave behind. There is even the occasional adventurer from afar as you may have noticed. We accept many but we refuse more, and of those we initially accept, some will later be rejected for various reasons."

She became thoughtful. "Is this the sort of method a spy would use to get inside the palace?"

"A good question, milady, especially in view of recent circumstances. I assure you that since recent events we are determined to keep a closer watch on all our men until we can know that they are trustworthy. The men are billeted separately, and until fully trained and passed suitable they have little opportunity for mischief."

"Sounds just like our Army recruiting at home," she said. "Why now, though, just when the rains start?"

"Because, milady," Bleskin said, "there will be fewer distractions for them. They may spend two months training without the kind of interruption that occurs at other times of the year." He gave her a look which implied she was the cause of some recent distractions.

"As you say, captain," she said demurely. "I'll try to keep a low profile."

"I have no doubt, milady," he smiled back, "That you'll try."

She led her instructor trainees through into their room and they dispersed themselves over the mats, ready to watch what she would demonstrate to them with Keren before trying the moves out themselves.

"Teacher." Kerrak held up a hand.

"Yes, Kerrak?"

"I've been thinking." Several of the others gave mock groans which were ignored. "About what we tried yesterday. It seems to me that there is a way I might defeat that throw you showed us."

Garia nodded approval. "Good. That shows that you are thinking about what we are doing and figuring out why and how the moves work. Would you like to come and show me? It might be something I haven't shown you yet or it might be something I did wrong. I don't claim to be the expert on this form of fighting by any means. I quite expect you ten to surpass my own skills eventually and start working out your own fighting moves. That's the way it works on Earth, I don't see why it shouldn't work that way here."

The two squared up on a mat with the others in a ring around them.

"You explained that when you ducked under my arm, like so," Kerrak said, "then I would naturally attempt to compensate for your change of position by moving, and that would unbalance me."

"That's right. So then I could grab you here and here and lever you over."

"As you say, Teacher. But, I wondered if instead I were to step sideways like this."

Kerrak moved his leading foot by no more than a few inches, leaned forwards and grabbed Garia's tunic. Suddenly, it was she who sailed through the air to land on the mat. Instead of rolling smartly to her feet, however, she remained sprawled on her side.

Oh, no!

She looked up at the surrounding group with an expression of surprise and embarrassment.

"A problem, Teacher?" Keren asked. "You're not injured, are you?"

Her face flamed. "No, Keren, nothing so simple. I, ah, have discovered I have an upset stomach. Jenet?"

Oh, crap. Why now, of all times? And why wasn't there any warning?

Garia carefully levered herself to her feet, careful not to show anything or to let anything become visible that would normally be concealed by the extended hem of her tunic.

"Teacher?" Tord came to her rescue. "If you have need, there is a toilet at the back of the Small Training Room. It will not be as well appointed as those in your quarters, I have no doubt, but..." he shrugged, "it should suffice."

She gave him a grateful smile. "Oh, thank you, Tord!" She looked round at their faces. "I have to go. I think Keren can look after you all till I can get back."

Jenet wrapped Garia's skirt around her mistress's waist before leading her out of the room and back into the crowded outer room. Merek was now talking to a circle of the newcomers in a loud voice, attempting to be heard over the drumming of the rain on the high roof. They went quickly into the Small Training Room, Garia walking carefully but knowing it probably wasn't making a great deal of difference.

"Did you eat something you shouldn't, milady?" Jenet asked quietly as they crossed the smaller room.

"No, Jenet. It isn't that kind of upset stomach. It's the sort caused by Kalikan."

"But that means... oh. Milady, it is three days too early."

Now that she knew what was happening, the very mild sensations she had been feeling in her stomach that morning became familiar. Now that she thought about it, her breasts did feel just a touch more swollen than usual.

But why was this one so different than the last one? Will I have to put up with this every month, not knowing what's going to happen?

They went through a door at the rear of the room and found themselves in a corridor running the length of a lean-to behind the main building. Rooms off included a small kitchen, changing rooms including a primitive shower, and a toilet cubicle at the very end. Quickly, they entered and stripped off the skirt.

"Eew! I don't think I'll ever get used to this, Jenet."

"Normally, one has warning, milady, but this I do not understand. Hold still, let me..."

"Three days early, you said? Oh, I understand all right. Looks like I don't follow Kalikan but Earth's moon. Call it 'The Call of Luna', if you like. Earth's moon goes round in about twenty-eight days or so which makes the timing about right."

"As you say, milady. Would this be the normal time between calls on Earth, then? If so, we can mark the calendar with the dates. It will not be as easy - if you would lift your foot - not as easy as for women of Anmar but nothing we can't manage."

"It's not so simple, I'm afraid, Jenet. The number of days between... calls... on Earth is not as regular as I understand those here are. How am I going to get back to my suite, Jenet? I can't wear those tights again." Garia wrinkled her nose as the odor reached it.

"No-one will notice, milady. If you remember, your skirt was made longer than normal to conceal the fact you were wearing the tights. Let us talk of these matters later, milady. If you will excuse me, I must fetch some water from that kitchen."

Jenet walked along the corridor, then at a thought went to the entrance and opened it, finding Yasoon and Sardan standing guard outside. Hearing the noise they turned and grinned at her.

"Tord guessed what was going on and sent us to make sure you didn't get interrupted. Is the Baroness all right?"

"She is, thank you, although some cleaning up is required. We will be in here some little time, I'm afraid."

"Don't concern yourself about us, Jenet. We'll do anything for the Baroness, as would any of the men."

Jenet gave them a smile of thanks and closed the door.

Fortunately because Garia's period was just beginning it wasn't too difficult to clean up. Jenet had packed a panty and an emergency pad in her bag - as always - and these were quickly secured in position. With the ruined tights wrapped up inside a cloth and in the bag, they returned to the others, Garia feeling strange in bare legs. Keren's face held an anxious inquiry.

"Thank you all, just something unexpected, that's all. I won't be able to take part in any more training, but I should be able to supervise. So, what have you been doing while I was out?"

"Kerrak was explaining the throw he demonstrated with you, and I think he has a point," Keren said. "Someone with no training wouldn't do that, but anyone in this room would know how to avoid the throw. We've been trying to work out a suitable counter, and of course what happens when you meet someone who knows the counter, and so on."

She gave them all a broad smile. "That's great! That's exactly what I'd hoped you would all do. So, show me what you have, then."

The session continued until the appropriate bell and then everyone dispersed as usual, Keren escorting Garia and Jenet back to their suite.

"The Call of Kalikan, I take it?" he asked her softly.

"That obvious, was I?"

"Three or four got it, but nobody said anything. We all know what happens to a woman's body, after all."

"I wasn't expecting it at all, Keren. There was no warning, and then... there it was. Jenet reckons I'm three days early. If we had realized I would have come prepared."

"Is this due to your other world origins, do you think?"

"Oh, yes. The time gap ties in just about right for our moon, not yours." Garia looked thoughtful. "This implies that my body is made like an Earth-human one rather than a local one. I wonder what other differences there might be? At least I can eat the food, thank goodness, even though none of it is anything like food I know from home."

Keren considered. "It never occurred to me that your body might not be like ours, though of course now you've mentioned the idea we'll have to consider it. I can't say I've noticed anything different about you - physically, that is."

"Nor I anything different about anyone else here. Here we are. Look, I'm going to need a good wash before I can change, so don't wait for me, will you? See you at lunch."

~o~O~o~

"Garia, dear? I hear you had a little problem this morning."

"Yes, ma'am. It seems my body is not governed by Kalikan but by Earth's moon, which we sometimes call Luna. It was a surprise because there were no warning signs at all like I had the last time."

"That can happen, dear. You must also remember, you haven't been here long, perhaps it will be some months before your body properly settles down. After all, this is only your second call. What is happening to you now happens to most girls between the years of nine and twelve so you have some catching up to do."

"You're probably right, ma'am. Still, it was a shock when it happened." Garia grimaced. "And not pleasant at all."

Terys looked serene. "It is part of being a woman. There are some parts of our lives that we wish were otherwise but there are other parts we know are special to a woman, that we know a man will never enjoy. I doubt we may have one without the other."

"Into every life a little rain must fall," Garia quoted softly.

Terys smiled. "Quite so, dear. Then you do understand." She took one of Garia's hands into her own. "This will pass, dear, as it always does. And we always have our men to help us through the more difficult times."

"As you say, ma'am."

~o~O~o~

"Come in, Rosilda, do. Take a seat."

Garia looked a question at the small man who accompanied the seamstress.

"Milady," Rosilda said, "this is Master Fulvin, who is a metalsmith attached to the palace. He is normally employed looking after palace jewelry and items of state but also provides parts for our garments at need."

"Welcome, Master Fulvin. Please be seated."

Rosilda opened a bag and brought out a small white assembly of tapes and scraps of cloth. "Milady, I bring an example of a bra for you to inspect."

Garia looked the garment over, observing the careful cutting and the neat stitching.

"It looks quite good, Rosilda. What are these?"

"I decided against using the hooks and eyes you spoke of, milady, to begin with, as they seem awkward and insubstantial to my way of thinking. So instead, the two ends cross over and are brought round to the front and tied. Later on, perhaps, we can investigate other methods of securing the band in place."

Garia nodded. "That's fine. After all, I was describing something that probably involves a century of development and refinements in materials and methods. This isn't at all bad for your first attempt."

"Milady, it is not the first. It proved very difficult to design such small, carefully shaped pieces and then sew them together in such a way that they would provide the necessary strength. The actual shape of each piece is critical to make them all fit together and provide the support and appearance required. We have spent much time modeling the shapes on each other's bodies." Rosilda smiled. "Milady, I have been wearing a bra these past three days. It is certainly a different experience than our usual bodice."

Garia blinked and then examined Rosilda afresh. Yes, there was a difference about her upper body, since the normal bodice had a simple structure and no separate cups. It was not something a casual observer would immediately spot, though.

"So," she held up the bra. "Who is this one intended for?"

"Yourself, milady. I made it based on those measurements I took when we discussed this project before the festival. I would like you to try it for size and fit, please. I fully expect it to require alterations, so do not be alarmed if it is not quite right."

"Okay, I'll do that, in a moment. Master Fulvin is here because he made the links on the shoulder straps, I suppose."

The man cleared his throat. "That is correct, milady. This is not my usual field of work, but the pieces were judged fine enough to require my expert attentions. Do they meet with your approval, milady?"

Garia examined the links which connected the straps to the top of the cups and which enabled them to be adjusted. "What are these made of? Is this silver?"

"It is, milady. Did you wish gold instead? That would certainly be easy enough to do."

"Quite the opposite, master. I imagined the metal parts would be made out of iron or steel, alternatively brass. Probably stamped out of thin sheet."

Fulvin looked shocked. "But My Lady! Someone such as yourself cannot be adorned with such common materials!"

"Why not, Master Fulvin? No-one is going to see these things and you're going to be making rather a lot of them if bras become popular. I'm not sure the King's Treasury will want the expense of fittings of gold or even silver."

"But, milady! They are so small, how can they be expensive?"

"It's not just the value of the metal, you know. Look, how long does it take you to make a set of these? Every bra is going to require four, yes?"

"That is so, milady. Perhaps a bell and a half, perhaps two. It depends how much cutting, filing and polishing is required."

"Then you do the math. I'll probably be needing five or six bras, because I'll generally need a fresh one every day. That's twenty to twenty-four of these buckles. For me. Now multiply that by the number of women who work in the palace. Heck, if these become popular, every woman in Palarand is going to be wearing them. What's the population of Palarand?"

Fulvin's mouth became dry as he stared at Garia. To one side, Rosilda's mouth had twitched into a smile, but she smoothed her face immediately. She was familiar now with Garia and the consequences her ideas might trigger.

"But, milady, I never considered..." Fulvin licked his lips as he realized the size of the task she was describing. "So many of the garments?"

"Well, yes, Master Fulvin. Uh, are you married, by any chance?"

"I am, milady. Why?"

"Ask your wife, then. At or about the time of the Call of Kalikan, your wife will tell you that her breasts become swollen and tender. If she were to be wearing the same size of bra she wore the rest of the month, it would be uncomfortable."

Fulvin reddened and looked uncomfortable himself at the discussion of intimate details. Beside him, Rosilda frowned as she realized that she had not considered this point either. Finally, Fulvin managed a reply.

"You may be correct, milady. For myself, I could not say. As to the clasps, perhaps a different design? Something simpler to fashion? If as you mention these will not be visible then I agree something more functional may be more appropriate."

What can I say? I have no idea how these things actually work but to him I have to appear as if I know what I'm talking about. And I shouldn't embarrass the poor man any more if I can help it.

Garia shrugged. "As you say, Master Fulvin. Mistress Rosilda, what do you think?"

"I think the tiny buckle design you sketched for me, milady, and which Master Fulvin has made in silver, is about the simplest there could be," Rosilda replied. "I had not considered the huge numbers we would likely require, though. Or the fact that a woman will need bras of more than one size." She nodded. "That is something that can be decided in the future, milady. For now, the silver is acceptable?" Garia nodded. "Then, shall you try the sample on now?"

Garia rose. "If you will excuse us a moment or two, Master Fulvin."

She led the way into the dressing room where Jenet speedily unlaced her gown down to the waist, then removed the bodice which normally supported her breasts. In a low voice Garia had to tell her maid how to help her into the bra, and then the ends were brought round and tied off under her bust.

"What do you think, milady?"

I've never worn anything like this before. As a guy I didn't need to. Obviously. A bra was something exotic you enjoyed yourself removing from the girl. This feels comfortable, though, in a way the bodices aren't. It even works though I've just started my period. Does that mean I'm not as swollen as last time? I'll need something firmer for the training sessions but for a start this has worked out quite well.

She smiled at Rosilda. "You've done a great job, Rosilda. It fits quite well. Thank you."

She twisted her upper body from side to side to test out the control, then leaned forwards and back.

"It's about what I expected, I think, considering I only gave you a verbal description and a couple chalk sketches of what I had in mind. You said you've been wearing one for three days, now. What is your opinion?"

"I am impressed, milady. It holds you better and it just feels more comfortable. If you permit, I would like to continue wearing a bra. The other sewing ladies are also interested. With such small pieces of material required, these will not be expensive to make but may make a great difference, especially to those women who are more largely endowed."

Garia smiled again. "I'm not about to prevent you doing anything you want to, Rosilda! Go ahead, feel free to make as many as you like." She had a thought. "Ah, you wouldn't know, but the Queen may take an interest."

"Milady, I would be delighted to make some bras for the Queen."

"Uh, that's not what I meant. The Queen intends to fund me out of the inventions I'm bringing to Alaesia. She may want you to make a token payment for each one you make. This is what happens with the forks, did you know that?"

Rosilda looked confused. "But, but, milady, this would be from the palace wardrobe! The Queen would be paying herself."

Garia swept her hand in a dismissal. "Don't concern yourself about it, Rosilda. I'll discuss it tonight at the meeting we're holding after dinner."

"As you say, milady."

"Jenet, help me with this gown."

As Jenet laced Garia back into the gown the latter's eyes fell upon the satchel on a shelf at the back of the dressing room.

"Ah! You haven't seen the clothes I was wearing when I arrived in Alaesia, have you, Rosilda? And I bet Master Fulvin will be interested as well."

Rosilda's eyebrows rose as she wondered why a metalsmith would be interested in clothes but said nothing. The three walked back into Garia's sitting room, Jenet carrying the satchel.

"These are the clothes I had on when I arrived here," Garia said as Jenet pulled them out onto a table. "I warn you, you'll find them unusual compared to what we wear here. Feel free to examine them as closely as you like, both of you."

The dense cloud cover had made the rooms so dark that oil lamps were in use, even though it was only late afternoon. Rosilda and a puzzled Fulvin took garments over to the lamps to inspect them.

"What kind of seamstress can make stitching like this?" Rosilda asked suspiciously, holding up the jeans. "This whole piece is impossible."

"The stitches are made by machine, Rosilda." Fulvin's head came up sharply, and then he looked at the tee shirt more closely. "Those garments are produced by the tens of thousands, to fit all shapes and sizes. Master Fulvin, that tee shirt you hold was actually knitted by a machine, and the pieces fitted together and sewed on another machine. The socks on the table are entirely machine-made, and tights can be made the same way, of any thickness of thread from barely visible to thick wool."

Both Rosilda and Fulvin looked at Garia with amazement. Neither had expected anything like this when they had arrived at Garia's suite. They had both heard the stories but the reality of her clothes was entirely different.

"Why don't you swap over?" she suggested. "I'd particularly like Master Fulvin to look at the front of those jeans... uh, trousers, at the fixing below the big metal button."

Fulvin stared fascinated at the zipper slide, eventually summoning up the courage to give it a pull, and then was fascinated again by the action.

"This is incredible, milady," he breathed. "Who ever thought of such a thing?"

"That again is the end result of about a hundred years of improvement," she told him.

He pulled a glass lens out of his pouch and held it up, taking a close look at the construction of the zipper. He looked up at Garia again.

"Brass," he said. "I understand what you said before now, milady. There are so many of these..."

"Teeth."

"A good name, milady. There are so many of these teeth that they cannot have been made by hand, can they? Therefore, a machine must exist which made these, probably punched out of a sheet of brass as you described," his eyes narrowed, "and perhaps the same or another machine applied them to the ribbon. Fascinating!"

"Perhaps you should speak with Guildmaster Parrel," she told him. "In the world I came from there are many, many machines, and I suspect that there will soon be many machines here as well."

"As you say, milady." Fulvin frowned. "The craft of jewelry making and repair is a good one, it is true, especially for someone who is artistic like myself. But, I am also a chartered metalsmith, and what I have seen here today interests me... Tell me, milady, would it be your intention to pass on all the knowledge you have of such devices?"

"That's an interesting question, Master Fulvin. In general, yes, but you must remember I'm just a youngster and I don't know the exact details of how much of anything actually works. I can only tell people about what I have seen. Also, all the knowledge I pass on is going through the King, because as well as useful information some of it can be dangerous. So, I'm sorry, I'd like to tell you more but you'd better go through Master Parrel first."

Fulvin inclined his head. "As you say, milady. I will consult him at the earliest opportunity."

"He'll be here for a meeting after dinner tonight. Perhaps you might have a word then." She had a thought. "Jenet, the watch? We might as well let Master Fulvin see another wonder."

Jenet brought the watch, and Garia carefully unscrewed the backplate for Fulvin to see the workings.

"This is incredible, milady! This exceeds the finest jewelry that I know anyone is capable of making." He looked at Garia thoughtfully. "I suspect that this is not an especially rare and costly item, though?"

"No, master, it isn't. Again, these are made by the million. Most people wear one on their wrist to tell the time wherever they are. Machines make the parts, although I understand that they are probably assembled by hand."

"Can you tell me how such a small thing might work? The Great Clock of the palace has a weight which must be wound up daily. Obviously that is not the case here."

"I know very roughly how this watch might work, Master Fulvin, but not the detail. If I described it to you I would have to use words and concepts which haven't yet been discovered on Anmar, so I'm sorry, I'll have to disappoint you."

Fulvin merely nodded. "As I expected, milady." He rose to his feet. "I have seen enough, milady, to understand that when you speak you do so with knowledge. I will consult my superiors and consider how the garment buckles may best be produced." There was a pleading look on his face. "And may I come and inspect these items again, milady? To see work like this is to know that such things are possible, and that is half the battle." He gave her a wry smile. "I suspect the King might need to find another jeweler. My head is now filled with strange ideas and I would not be able to concentrate."

She gave him a grin. "I understand fully, Master Fulvin."

"Milady?" Rosilda asked, "There are some further details concerning the bras which I should ask you before dinner. While I, too, would like to inspect this clothing again I must regrettably attend to more immediate matters first."

"Then if I may have leave to depart, milady?" Fulvin asked. "While the devices you have shown me are of interest to me, I find that the clothing of women is less so, so that I should leave you both in peace."

"Of course, Master Fulvin. Before you go, though, I must point out that where I come from most clothing, especially women's underclothing," Fulvin reddened, "contains quantities of metal items for support and adjustment so someone is going to have to interest themselves sooner rather than later. If you look at those trousers, you'll see as well as the zipper there's a metal button at the waist and copper rivets at the corners of the pockets for strength. That's working clothing for a man, as it happens."

He nodded. "As you say, milady. I will consider carefully everything I have seen or heard here today. With your leave?"

Fulvin departed, and Garia and Rosilda talked about bra construction until it was time to change for dinner. With reluctance Garia removed the sample bra and returned it to Rosilda before changing completely into suitable evening wear. A knock at the door showed a smiling Keren, and he escorted her down to the dining room.

"Interesting afternoon?"

"Yes, thank you. It looks like I may have a new convert, Master Fulvin."

"Oh, the little court jeweler? Yes, your devices are just the kind of thing that might interest him. He has an excellent attention to detail."

"Yes, he got quite excited by the zipper in my jeans and by having a look inside my watch. He was less excited when we talked about bras, though."

"Bras, Garia? What are they?"

By the time they reached the dining room, Keren's face was flaming.

~o~O~o~

"The making of individual letters proved much more difficult than we first expected," Parrel told the assembled council. "We based our first designs on the engraving stamps we have previously used and, to a certain degree, the results are usable as you can see."

Everyone had a small pile of paper in front of them, the top sheet printed with the letters Parrel was describing now. Even though Garia still couldn't read, she could see that the text was crisp and clear but looked somehow awkward.

"I therefore consulted Master Pitchell here with regard to letter design," he continued, "and he has proposed several new versions which I understand Milady Garia to call typefaces. If you lift the sheet in front of you, you will see samples of these typefaces on the second sheet. You will note that we can mix typefaces on the same sheet, and even, as it happens, in the same sentence if that were required. We can also make these letters almost any size required, which means that people with poor sight may be able to read the larger sizes, while smaller sizes of course means we can fit more words onto a single page."

Garia had been consulted at the design stage and so the sample sheet contained both serif and sans-serif designs. Although the letters still looked like squiggles to her the numbers jumped out clearly, since they were those she had proposed to the council.

Parrel added, "It seems that the rules for the shapes and styles of lettering used for printing will be different than those Master Pitchell tells me the scribes teach for lettering by hand. That makes sense since the letters will not be made by the use of a reed pen. We have come to an agreement that these details will be decided between us in future."

Parrel turned to Robanar. "Sire, we have concluded that the activity of printing will best be served, at least to start with, with the creation of a new guild composed partly of Metalsmiths, partly of Carpenters and partly of Scribes. We desire your permission to found a new guild for the purpose, to be called the Guild of Printers." He looked at Garia with a smile. "We expect it to be the first of many new guilds which Baroness Garia's knowledge will require."

"I see no objection," Robanar said with hardly a pause. "Do any of you have anything to add?"

After a silence he nodded at Pitchell. "So noted, Master Scribe. Master Parrel, continue."

"The next sheet is the one we produced describing the new number system Milady has introduced. We tried several versions until we found one that could readily be understood by most literate persons in Palarand. Master Tanon helped us there, he offered the samples to several of his associates, and the response was almost entirely favorable. You will notice that we had some problems with the ink, which of course must be very different than what is normally used when writing with a pen. We believe that we have something suitable now, but Milady Garia tells us that it is possible that different inks may be needed from time to time. Have we your permission to begin printing and distributing this sheet throughout the land?"

Robanar inspected the third sheet carefully. "An excellent work, Master Parrel, Master Pitchell. What say the rest of you?"

There were murmurs of agreement from around the table and Robanar signaled assent. Margra cleared her throat.

"Sire, I wonder if I might ask for a similar document to be produced, on behalf of the healers. It would assist us considerably if our recipes and methods could be copied in this way and distributed to all corners of the kingdom. It will ensure that all are kept informed of the latest methods and ideas at the same time, and will save us time and laborious effort keeping everyone up to date."

Robanar gestured with a hand to Parrel. "That is what this new machinery is for, Margra. Ask them what they wish you to provide."

Parrel said to her, "What you ask will be more than a single sheet like this, Mistress Margra. Milady Garia has spoken to us of book-making, and perhaps yours may be the first we might produce using paper and printing. We will discuss the making of this book between ourselves, if the King agrees."

"You shouldn't need to come to me every time you wish to produce a book," Robanar said. "We are busy enough as it is. Proceed as you wish, the pair of you."

"Thank you, Sire."

"We'd better move on to other business," Robanar said. "I know there are some more matters to discuss since our last meeting. Parrel?"

"Sire. We have considered Milady Garia's words concerning lightning, and although we find it hard to understand how the remedy she gave us actually works, we are prepared to believe that it will work. Therefore, we are making preparations for the lightning rods, copper strips and earthing rods which will need to be produced. We will also make a survey of the city to identify all the highest buildings ready for us to install the metalwork. Of course we will have to wait until the rains to end before we may proceed. We do understand that this will not be a total solution, but anything which will reduce the constant damage to buildings must soon pay for itself."

Robanar nodded. "Agreed. Although most of the ideas and devices Milady Garia has given us should in time pay for themselves, we must be careful with our expenditure in these early days. Continue."

"Next, Sire, I have teams of men producing steam engines, larger versions of the model you saw demonstrated in Master Morlan's workshop. We intend one of these to provide power for our own workshop, and another will be given to the printers to help operate their machinery. One will be mounted on a wagon and made available for experiments by other guilds. We wondered if one should be built to operate the pumps at the base of the High Tower, Sire."

"Here in the palace? Well, why not? But Parrel, I don't want you to give such an engine any priority, you understand? And, with all respect to Milady Garia, I will suggest you find a way to provide one without removing the treadmill. If the engine should not function, we must have another means of pumping water."

"Sire," she said, "I would suggest the same thing myself. Only when everyone is familiar with the engines, and we have a secured fuel supply, only then should we consider removing the treadmill."

"As you say, milady."

"If I may add, Sire," she said thoughtfully, "If Master Parrel proposes mounting an engine on a wagon, perhaps he should consider using it to drive a water pump. It is what we did on Earth to start with, for use when tackling fires. Or, thinking about it, floods."

Parrel blinked. "Of course, milady. Why didn't I think of that? We shall definitely consider such an idea. Then, Sire," he resumed, "there is the matter of the coal. We have a large number of sacks part filling our courtyard from the wagon load which Duke Gilbanar ordered. I will send samples to the palace as soon as we have inspected them ourselves." He grimaced. "Sire, it is filthy stuff. It is only because it has been raining heavily that we have been able to keep the dust down."

Robanar looked at Garia. "This is what you expected, milady?"

"It is, Sire. It can be controlled, though, and you will be able to burn all of it, even the dust. Unfortunately, even the smoke is filthy. The small amount you'll be burning to start with probably won't cause problems, but it's something we'll have to consider for the future. On Earth, where whole cities of half a million people burned coal in every house for cooking and to keep warm, the air became so bad that many died because of it." She shrugged. "We can't ignore coal, Sire, even though there are better ways. Using coal is the only way you're going to be able to make steel in big enough quantities that the rest will work. "

"As you say, milady. There is no alternative?"

"Not really, Sire. There are ways of lessening the problem, and I'm working on the best way of introducing those to the council. I think I'm going to need to do some experiments of my own in the laboratory, Sire. For that, I would like to have the assistance of Master Tarvan if possible, seeing as he is based in the palace at the moment."

"Parrel? Are you willing to part with your assistant for a time?"

"Sire, if Milady Garia wishes assistance, and Tarvan has no objection, then neither do I. I shall so inform him as soon as I can."

"Master Tanon?"

"Sire, I have employed three scribes to convert my accounts to use the new numbering system, and they report that the new system is much to their liking. I have made my use of it known to some of the other merchants in the city but the printed sheets will perhaps explain more easily than I can. I have been commissioning wagons and barges to prepare for the extra traffic we expect Milady Garia's new inventions to cause, and I am investigating routes to allow the barges to approach the city." He gave everyone an apologetic grin. "Just now, of course, almost all roads to the city are under water, as is customary during the rains. It has occurred to me that the new canals may assist in draining the city, Sire."

Robanar looked startled. "Of course, Tanon! An excellent point."

"Further, Sire, we have ordered timber for the lines of semaphore towers which we shall begin erecting once the weather clears. I have been discussing exact routes with the two captains." he nodded at Bleskin and Merek. "Of course, as has been pointed out, we do not need to follow existing roads or even the river bank. With the use of telescopes any direction where visibility is clear is good enough."

Robanar grunted. "Good. Keep me informed about that project, will you? It has military implications which might become important if the conflict upriver changes."

"As you wish, Sire."

"The new semaphore system will require many telescopes to be provided, and both Master Hurdin, for the lenses, and Master Parrel, for the cases, are bringing those parts into production. I understand Master Hurdin is also producing other lenses for Master Gerdas's new sky-watching telescope."

"Master Hurdin?"

"That is correct, Sire. The large lens we are attempting to make is proving difficult to grind, though. We do have plenty of time to make this, since Master Gerdas cannot even begin to assemble the telescope until the end of the rains."

Robanar grunted. "It seems that the rains are hampering many of our projects."

"Sire," Hurdin agreed. "There are many other projects to occupy us, though, while the skies are gray. I would note the glass tubes which Milady Garia has asked me to produce. It seems there are many uses for glass tubes I had never imagined."

"Milady?"

Garia stood and moved towards the blackboard. Seeing her stand, Pitchell and his assistant put aside their notes and made fresh sheets of paper ready, since they knew there would be diagrams to record.

"Sire, Highness, Masters, Mistress. I'm going to tell you about two related phenomena which will help you understand the weather, amongst many other things."

She told them about materials expanding as they warmed, and from that described a thermometer. Next, she told them about the moisture in the air, and how it was affected by both temperature and pressure. The thermometer would give them temperature and a barometer could give them the pressure. Both, of course, could be used for other purposes. Thermometers could be used for anything from checking ill patients to cooking, washing and dyeing, through study of chemical processes and some metallurgy. Barometers could be used wherever any pressurized vessel needed to be monitored. Of course, some of these could not be accomplished by the use of liquids inside glass tubes, so she showed them other forms of both instrument.

Gerdas was rubbing his hands with joy when she finished. "Just think of all the new research these new tools will permit us to do! I thought that what I had already been shown was enough, but you have surpassed yourself again, milady!"

"Thank you, Master Gerdas."

Parrel was more thoughtful, however. "Your explanation of expansion is known to us, milady. It has proved a difficulty whenever we make large devices like clocks. To know that these effects are constant and predictable is good news, since we would normally consider them to be defects of manufacture."

Garia was surprised. "But, surely, you know about expansion? Don't you put iron rims on wagon wheels by heating them?"

"Of course, milady, but that was merely a thing discovered by experiment. To know there is a reliable way of predicting the expansion is another matter."

Of course. I must stop thinking in terms of my own society, where these things are well known. These people are working out the rules by trial and error and don't think the way I do.

"As you say, Master Parrel. I can assure you that it will be reliable, depending on the material. Each substance has it's own rate of expansion and by using a thermometer you will be able to measure them."

The meeting broke up shortly afterwards and Garia made her way back to her suite, escorted by Keren.

"You look tired."

"I know. It's the... call, mostly, but having to walk through these gloomy corridors isn't helping."

"Gloomy? I would consider these passages to be well-lit. Would they be much brighter on Earth?"

"I'd say so! We use a different kind of light which is very much brighter than these oil lamps you use here. I'm sorry, it's going to be years before we can get your lighting up to that level. Hmm. Even gas lighting is going to take some time. I'll just have to put up with it until then."

Keren shrugged. "It's what we're used to, so it doesn't look gloomy to me. Here we are. I'll see you in the morning."

"Yes, good night, Keren."

Garia followed Jenet through her sitting-room door, and, while she waited for Jenet to light some lamps, moved towards the window overlooking the balcony and courtyard.

It was still raining.

The dull roar of the downpour vibrated through the old wood of the palace buildings. Outside, it was now well after sunset and, with the cloud cover, of course there were no moons or stars to be seen. She looked out of the window at a blackness relieved only by a dim glow from a bedroom window on the opposite side of the courtyard. Her heart sank.

This really is it, isn't it? I wondered... perhaps it was a dream, or some kind of drug-fueled coma. I don't think so any longer. I'm really a girl, I'm here to stay, and I'm somewhere else entirely. I'm on a whole new planet in a whole new solar system in a galaxy far, far, away and I've no idea if I'm ever going to get home again. I'm in a kinda pre-Revolutionary society where people think nothing of sticking each other with knives and swords. Thank God they haven't chanced across gunpowder yet!

But I'm a girl, and thank God, perhaps, for that. I suspect my fate, had I arrived here as the boy I left behind, would have been somewhat different. Here, they at least look after their women, and I kind of appreciate that. I've found somewhere safe that I can use to build a base for myself and that can't be all bad, even if half the locals think I'm crazy and the other half worship my feet. What's that all about? Perhaps they're ready to advance and they just needed the spark, me, to set them going.

But I'm a girl, and I'm just beginning to recognize the limitations girls and women operate under, whether they live on Earth or Anmar. The Call of Kalikan - or Luna - is going to take up a big chunk of my time every month, and there's no getting round it. Not that I would deny the way my body operates, but from a boy's point of view - the Gary I used to be - it's a chore when I could be doing so much more.

Still, there are compensations... I thought the clothes were all fussy flummery but a lot is beginning to make sense now. I understand why we dress the way we do, although I'm sure there are improvements I can suggest. Being so short isn't quite the problem I thought it would be, either, because there's always someone willing to reach down things I can't get to. And then there's... Keren...

She flushed and a faint smile came to her lips.

I've gained a brother! And yet... we're not related, and we're still learning about each other, and we seem different than a brother and sister would. But he treats me in a way I'm just not used to, and I definitely like that. I never in a million years thought that I'd ever find a boy attractive but that was another place and time... I guess this body knows what it likes. Pity about Benith.

"Milady? What do you see?"

"Uh, oh, nothing, Jenet. My mind is wandering. Let's go to bed."

But later, in the darkness, a tear trickled down her face onto the pillow.

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The bad with the good

Garia has really taken her new life into herself, the pros and the cons, the bad and the good. She truly 'lives in interesting times'. Like a willow, she has to bend with the winds, yet at the same time she needs to stand tall and straight. Garia possesses an excellent mind, I wonder what would have become of Gary back on earth?

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

glad

glad to see a new chapter of this story. wonderful story. keep up the doos work.
robert

001.JPG

Good to see that various

LibraryGeek's picture

Good to see that various people are taking her ideas and running with them, expanding upon what she's provided; such innovation is what will make this theirs, not just a sterile grafting from Earth. Kerrak developing new throws and counters is a step towards organic growth.

A pleasure to read such a fine tale.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Developments

So it looks as though there'll soon be plenty of new recruits for Tai Chi and possibly martial arts; her current trainees are already starting to build on the knowledge to develop new techniques for themselves; Farvin's moving into the brasserie market with Rosilda (and going slightly goggle-eyed at the vast quantities of undergarments he'll be helping product - never mind his fascination with the construction of jeans!); Parrel's getting excited over the concept of moveable type; there's also Arabic numerals / lightning conductors / water pumps / fire engines / drainage canals / thermometers / barometers under consideration for development (no doubt rain gauges and weathervanes can be added to the meteorology toolkit from existing technology) while Garia herself is about to borrow Tarvan for some experiments with coal.

Then as if her life wasn't complicated enough, there's the call of Luna (which no doubt will prove to be just as irregular as menstruation can be for many Earth women!) and her deepening relationship with Keren (I wonder if either will officially announce they're an item - or if it's indeed possible to put their relationship on a more official footing without getting engaged).

Hopefully at some point Merizel will find enough time in Garia's diary to organise some lessons in the local written language (and vice-versa - it would be useful for a limited number of people to learn written English so Garia could write down some details that are hard to convey visually or orally in the language she's familiar with while learning the local language, while the limited selection of locals could learn to interpret them).

Not to mention it's already been established there's been at least one other visitor from Earth - if one happened to be clutching The Complete Works of Shakespeare and/or The God Delusion (may fit their society better than The Bible) as well as a luxury item... :)
(Bonus points to those who can name the tune said visitor would be humming :D)

 

Find me on Google+ | Examine EAFOAB Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Tune

"Torpid Bayou" or something along those lines? :-)

Xi

Re: Developments

Hopefully at some point Merizel will find enough time in Garia's diary to organise some lessons in the local written language (and vice-versa - it would be useful for a limited number of people to learn written English so Garia could write down some details that are hard to convey visually or orally in the language she's familiar with while learning the local language, while the limited selection of locals could learn to interpret them).

Written English, aside from being a scientific language (perhaps in time their local equivalent to our use of Latin), would on account of its rarity (like Navajo in WWII) come in handy there as a language of spies, whether passed in messages on paper or sent as shutter-over-lantern Morse from those semaphore towers.

[Added:] Oh, and police-whistle-Morse, even in their own language, can travel the length of a football field easily and is good for commanding troops in the field and coordinating street patrols at home.

Interesting revelation about her body

Which brings up the obvious question of bio-compatibility if she wishes to have children. Coal can be dealt with for now with some form of scrubbing or if she can invent it fast enough, an electrostatic precipitator to at least remove particulates. Given their materials a simple electrical generator can probably be made or barring that a huge battery stack to provide the large static voltage to do precipitation would do.

Oh, and of course there are low sulfur versus high sulfur coals and bituminous vs anthracite.

Kim

Coal

The big problem is, would Gary even know about that stuff? Have there been programs on the Discovery/Nat Geographic/Whatever channels which he might have remembered? Would he even have cared? In Small City USA his electricity comes out the wall. Why would he care about the exact details of generation?

Some of these questions may be answered in the story, but I think the locals are going to have to work out their own policies, based on the warnings Garia will give them about pollution.

Penny

There have been some

There have been some programs on it, but mostly they don't get into the details. She might be able to figure out how to make fiberglass filters (drawn glass fibers, matted together), but maybe not.

So, she'd knows that it _was_ done, but not exactly how. I'd expect to see cloth filters on the end of the vent pipes, at least to start (bags put on the ends after the air has cooled somewhat, maybe by forced ventilation). Emptying those filters would also provide almost pure carbon soot to be used for ink and a few other things.

Coking would be the best way to improve things for the city, and she's more likely to know the rough background behind that.

However, if she can get hydroelectric working, even just somewhat, that would significantly reduce the pollution (that, and insulation). What killed Europe wasn't 10 or 20 years of coal burning by everyone, it was 80+ years of every household burning coal, plus the industries. If you can confine coal burning to the industries to start, and introduce ways to reduce the need for fuel (franklin stoves, pot bellied stoves rather than open firepits), you can keep it manageable, especially with the regular rains that would wash things down every year. (but then, you want to avoid too much water pollution, although coal dust isn't particularly toxic)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Oh and don't forget that burned

... coal also leaves behind some concentrated and very nasty remains that have a high level of toxic metals. Mercury from coal burning is what is polluting lakes and stuff and making fresh water fish some of the highest levels of mercury in them of all the fish. Hydropower, asap.

Kim

That depends on the coal -

That depends on the coal - but if you cool the residue of any coal, you can end up with coal tar, sulphur compounds, and various other useful things.

Mercury is especially useful.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

She's just homesick!

She's just plain homesick!

What, with being a gazillion whatevers from Earth, her hormones and the call of Kalikan it's hardly surprising she feeling tearful.

We'll share a glass of Hiraeth when you come home aga---in to Earth!

I'm fascinated to see where the industrial revolution takes our heroine and the kingdom as her knowledge takes a hold in this pre-industrial society. And I wonder how Garia will address pollution etc.

Good chapter Penny.

XZXX

Bev.

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg

Got it in one, Bev

Expect a pretty terrible week for our heroine. I don't think I'm exactly giving a plot spoiler away here.

Coming home to Earth? Is that even possible?

I'm fascinated too, but that state will be years off. I don't know if I can keep writing that long! It's taking me a fortnight an episode just now when I should be doing one a week. And Christmas is here, joy. Let's hope things improve in the new year (as I say every year!).

Penny

Genetic Compatibility

joannebarbarella's picture

This chapter does indirectly raise the question of whether Garia shares the same DNA as her hosts. External similarity does not necessarily translate into an ability to interbreed, either at all or perhaps in a limited way such as with horses and donkeys.

All the animals referred to so far are entirely different from Earth species. Is there some kind of ape-analogue ancestor for the humans of Anmar? Or are they themselves an introduced species from somewhere else entirely? Perhaps even from Earth in an earlier age?

Probably these questions will be answered in part or completely in future chapters (hopeful hint).

In the meantime I shall continue to enjoy the saga for its technological and societal developments and plain good old-fashioned story-telling,

Joanne

Genetics

I can't comment right now, but things may become clearer as we progress.

A point to think about: we know that at least two people have been transferred from Earth to Anmar, why not more? Why not animals?

Penny

How about the other way

How about the other way around? Animals and people from Annar to earth. mythology, anyone?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Outstanding Story So Far!!!

I've just read from episodes 1 to 40 and... wow. A well written, well plotted story was my reward. Thank you for the treat! ^_^

Some questions for you Miss Penny:

1) Would it be okay for Garia to call His and Her Majesty Father and Mother. The Royals said that they've adopted her, and Garia's homesick enough that she might let such address slip in her melancholy.

2) I wonder, how did you choose upon the title of Baroness for Garia. I was half-expecting Garia to be en-titled 'princess-emeritus', that is princess by merit and due all privileges due a princess except those regarding sucession. (Where then she's be the highest noble not in-line for the crown). I suppose the reason is politics.

3) Do your dragons breathe fire? I remember a Discovery Channel special about dragons and what would make them work with out resorting to magic. Fire-breathing involved regurgitating acid-dissolved platinum from and exhaling hydrogen extracted from water. I ask because if Yod had killed a dragon, they may be able to reverse-engineer a mid-evil flame thrower.

4) I realize that Garia is busy, but I wonder about her education. She is a child, all be it an older child. So while math wouldn't be necessary, learning pollitcal science, history, law and jurisprudence and maybe even military science (if girls and boys are equal, then barons and baronesses should have equal responsibility to defend the throne) would be necessarily if she's going to be an actual Baroness. Learning to write would be another good thing. As would learning how to both sing and dance.

As an aside, Garia needs a hobby. She's all work and no play right now - Keren's right: she's going to burn herself out if she's not careful. (I also think Garia needs a pet too, but that's just me.)

Since it was mentioned in the chapter 10-20 section of the story, I'd like to see Garia talking to a Questor specializing in philosophy. And accidentally inventing mental health care and expanding the theories behind the concept of ontology.

5) Things to invent:
In no particular order:

Rubber, elastic, Velcro, the knee-length skirt/dress, the strapless cocktail/prom dress (and/or spaghetti-straps), the hoop skirt, bloomers, the corset, the cheongsam, the kimono, the leotard/swimsuit, high-healed shoes, knee-high boots/galoshes; (Well... Her Majesty did ask for Garia's take on what Terran women ware. The above is what I can think of that wouldn't cause riots shouting "indecent!")

Bakelite, synthetic diamonds (for tool edges), gas masks (for the coal miners, to prevent black lung. On a similar idea, canary cages. Poor canaries :-(. Necessary, though.), Process to extract aluminum from aluminun ore, seismographs (just in case);

Pneumatic/Hydrolic winch Crossbows (as an alternative to rifles, no gunpowder now, no TNT later), standardized trumpet/bagpipe calls, the Alaesian Olympiad... (anyone who says the Olympics are purely for peace needs to see the Olympics through the prism of international politics. The strength of the economy is the strength of the athlete, the strength of the athlete is the potential strength of the army. Take a good look at the USA vs USSR contests at the Olympics during the Cold War. Likewise, look at the USA vs. China in the 2008 Summer Games. There's a lot more going on than just the spirit of athleticism.)

Standard notation for music in both pitch and time; the piano/pipe-organ, trumpet/trombone, glass armonicca/musical wine glasses (as a mistake; Garia: it was supposed to be just a parlor trick <*blush*>)

free press & speech, the freedom to assemble, the right to privet property, right to a fair trial, right to a lawyer, the right to due process, prohibition of double jeopardy, right to an unbiased jury of your piers... basically, the bill of rights.

I could list a lot more, but this list is a lot already.

Keep up the good work! Hopfully I've a couple good ideas, feel free to ignore the bad ones.

Ian B. / wingnut2292

Welcome to Garia's world

I'm glad you have enjoyed the ride so far. Be assured that I fully intend the rest of the story to be the same or better!

Some brief answers to your notes:

(1) This is a King and Queen we're talking about here. Not something Gary would have been familiar with relating to on Earth at all. Although she quite likes the warm and motherly way the Queen handles her it's still not quite the same as her old Mom and Dad. She's only been there a couple months yet, after all.

(2) Baroness is the lowest grade of nobility, and one normally awarded to men. Robanar has had to be careful here. He wants to protect her, and one of the ways he is familiar with doing that is by making her a noble. On the other hand, she's new in the kingdom and there are powerful nobles who may resent a newcomer handed a title apparently at the King's whim. So, start off at Baroness and see how things go.

(3) Dragons... umm. Can't say much, really. You'll just have to wait like everyone else ;)

(4) In some sense this whole story is about the education Garia gets as she learns about the new world she finds herself in. There is definitely not gender equality here. At all. Anything she gets she does so by either hard work or natural charm.

Music? She can't stand the local music, which uses a scale different than that familiar to Western ears. Maybe in the future?

A hobby... well, in this period on Earth I guess few would have had actual hobbies, as such. Diversions, yes, we may have a few once the rains cease.

The Questors will appear later. It was sort of explained that they were scattered, and Gerdas did say that they wouldn't have a meeting of the Society until after the rains. Expect drama!

(5) Things to invent/introduce... yeah. Some of that is on my list, but you'll have to wait and see. Some things will be precluded by the current state of knowledge/ability/industrialization. We on Earth don't realise how far we've come from that level to the present day.

As for clothes, there are two main rules for women, which really limit what is possible: No visible knees and no bare shoulders. Garia's already decided that modern styles aren't going to cut it, so she'll be thinking back to what she remembers from old historical movies. To a certain extent, also, the materials available will define what clothes can be designed.

I'm glad you like it so far, and I'm pleased that it's given you a lot of food for thought. I hope I can continue the story in the same manner. Thank you for reading.

Penny

Suspicions

terrynaut's picture

I suspected she was homesick. I know I would be.

I have to wonder if or when Garia will introduce some popular foods. I'm hoping to see burgers, pasta and pizza at the very least.

Lo, and Garia created pizza, and it was good. :)

Thanks and kudos. Please keep up the good work!

- Terry

Burgers, pasta, pizza

Well, we already know from the festival day activities that they have some kind of fast food, although I haven't really given much consideration as to what varieties there might be. Think street stalls in Saigon, Shanghai, Bangkok perhaps.

What's available would probably not be as spicy as we are mostly used to, although there's certainly traffic in spices (one of Tanon's high-value commodities).

I suspect that what the locals eat is probably a great deal more healthy than what we eat, as well. We may get a better idea as the story progresses.

Penny

Meat pies

I would think that one of their "fast" foods would be meat pies. In many stories written about our own past in Northern Europe the meat pie is often mentioned as one of the many food offerings that you find from street vendors. Another example would be the Chinese eggroll and the Korean yakimandu and mandu (the first being deep fried and the second being steamed.)

Using european history as an

Using european history as an example, spice use would increase in the summer to disguise the meat becoming tainted due to putrefaction happening faster.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Spices

If you are taking europe as example, than there are many spices quite cheap, because they are home to Europe: Lavender, Cumin, Lemon Balm (Melissa Oficinalis), liqorice, chive, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, salt, bay laurel, Poppy seed (source of opium and latex) etc...
Then there are rare spices, mostly brought to Europe by Byzantine, Arabian, Venice and Genova merchants from Africa and Asia: Black and white Pepper, Ginger, Cinnamon, sweet pepper, Clove, wasabi, soja, tea, coffee, rice, caoutchouc from gum tree....
If you want then you can add spices from new world (america): Vanilla, cocoa bean, pimento. And you can also add other plants like potatoes and corn

Conclusions: what is available certainly could be very spicy and cheap at the same time, though at rich people tables you would find arab spices to addition to common spices.

Spices

I suspect that the role of spices in many cultures is more to cover the taste of spoiling meat than to just add flavor. I would think that the poorer people would use more spices since they may tend to buy the older meats to save money. The next question is how much of a meat eating society is it?

Huggles

Chelle_MM

Actually, its the other way

Actually, its the other way around.

Poor people _didn't eat meat_. What little meat they had was generally eggs, and the occasional fowl (duck, chicken, guinea, etc)

They might have goats, sheep, pigs, or an occasional cow, but those were more for milk and hair than meat. So, the people that had meat a lot were those higher up in the social ladder.

_Spices_, like were referred to in the middle ages, were those seeds and herbs that could cover the odor and flavour of tainted meat. (I've eaten tainted meat. It tastes bad long before it's truly dangerous.)

Perfumes were to cover up the fact that people 1) thought bathing was bad, and 2) lived in the same clothing for months at a time - often being sewn into them at the beginning of winter.

Keep in mind that Europe, on the whole, has been FREAKING COLD.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Somewhere Else Entirely -40-

Would she be able to use this world's version of "THE PILL"?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Pill

Assuming this world's healers have such a thing, then probably yes.

There are certain actions which need to be performed before any such Pill would be required, though, and given the current circumstances, I don't foresee any of those happening any time soon.

In the future, however...

Penny

- Oh! You mean as a means of moderating period phenomenon... you can be assured that Margra is on the case.

The Pill

Our American Indians used certain plants such as what many call Tansy Ragwort. I'm not sure if it was the leaves or the flowers or the root itself but anyway part of the plant was boiled and the Indian women would actually drink it either for stopping any chance of pregnancy or for abortions.

Bras

They were never discussed with the Queen that’s a good way to make money.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Catching fire

Jamie Lee's picture

It would seem the bra Garia described is a hit with at least one woman, and Garia herself finding what has been made, so far, comfortable and better than what's use now.

The ideas she gives seem to always light a fire under one or more in the council or the one she talks with.

They knew about expansion of metal used on wheels but not that each metal expands differently.

Her period seems to cause her to reflect her situation and the whys of her being there.

Others have feelings too.

One thing I noted...

Gary being an only child (and a boy at that) didn't know that most (not all by any means) women on Earth are regular enough to know that their period will come every so many days, and they can count those days and be close enough to be within a few hours, because it is my suspicion that there is a certain number of hours involved, rather than days, and as a day is a few moments longer than 24 hours things can seem to get off schedule...
But boy--not interested even avoided thinking about periods.