Pink? Why Pink? - Part 19

Printer-friendly version
"Oops?" It was all Jade said and MJ was rolling on the ground laughing.

  

Pink? Why Pink?
Part 19
 ©2012 - Andrea Ribeiro

  

I looked at my sister and she had a sad look on her face.

"What's wrong sis?"

"It's not fair. I was just starting to get to know the new you and now you are leaving. I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too sis." I said as i hugged her.

"Hey! What about me?" Asked pixie Sue with a pout.

"I'm going to miss you too, Sue. I just met you, but you already grew on me."

"Don't you mean shrank on you? Look at me, I'm tiny."

"I did ask for that one, didn't I?" My sister asked me.

"Bad choice of words of your part and even worse joke from hers. Yep, you asked for it."

"You know, I'll keep in touch, sis. And I'll go home whenever I can. We will have more fun together, okay?" I said.

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."

"And I promise to make sure that she keeps her promise." Sue added.

"And how do you plan on doing that?" I asked.

"Did you forget that I can talk to you inside your head? What would you think about me singing 'My Heart Will Go On' over and over?"

"The titanic theme song? You wouldn't. You can't be THAT cruel."

"Just try me."

"I worry for her sanity sometimes." I heard MJ say to my sister.

  

###

  

After what seemed like an eternity later, the teleporter guy arrived and it was time for MJ and I to say our goodbyes. It was a hard thing to do. It was just dawning on us what really meant for us what going to Whiteley meant. There were a lot of hugs and tears and promises to call them frequently. The biggest surprise was dad giving me a credit card saying he trusted me to not go crazy with it. My sister had this look of jealousy on her face that was priceless until dad gave her one too. My mom cried and didn't want to let go of me. And MJ's mother wasn't much better with her daughter either.

I always wondered about how would it feel to teleport from one point to another and I was disappointed. One second you are here and then you were there. It was like the change of scene in a TV show.

We were in front of a big brick building that I think probably was where the administration is located. We were led inside and stopped in front of a desk where a stern looking blond woman was seated. She looked at us and then to our escort with a scorn on her face.

"What do you have here, Flashpoint?"

"These two are the new students the headmistress asked me to pick up, Miss Hartford" He said with an annoyed voice.

"I don't see anything about it in my papers. This is highly irregular." She complained. "What are their names?" She asked ignoring the two of us.

"Melody Romsey and Mary Jean Sparx."

She got up and looked for something in a file cabinet before coming back. "I don't have their application forms here. Are you sure they are students?"

"Their application forms are with me Miss Hartford. I was expecting them. Send them in." I heard a voice come from an office nearby.

Miss Hartford got up without saying a word and led us to the office. Entering it we were promptly greeted by its occupant.

"Hello, I'm Elisabeth Carson and I am the headmistress of this school. It is regretful that circumstances forced you to come in early."

"I understand." I told her.

"Unfortunately the world is still a dangerous place for mutants, and for some like yourself, Miss Romsey, it can be even more dangerous."

"Because of my regen?"

"Yes, even though research with regen blood is banned that doesn't stop some people on doing so and some would do anything to put their hands on a regenerator."

"But they wouldn't be able to do anything. My blood disappear a few moments after leaving my body, even missing limbs seems to do that."

"It seems that your regen level was underestimated in your MID." She stated.

"Yes, the doctor that did my powers testing, said there was no safe way go test for regen beyond level 4."

"Luckily, you do have a higher level or you would be crippled for the rest of your life."

"I guess so."

"And what about you, Miss Sparx? You seem awfully quiet."

"I'm sorry, I can't believe I'm in front of Lady Astaire. I don't know what to say." She said nervously.

"This is the first time I saw that happen." I told the headmistress.

  

###

  

We talked a few more minutes before we heard a knock on the door and a small Japanese looking girl wearing jeans and a Hello Kitty top came in after the headmistress asked her in.

"Did you want to see me?

"Perfect timing, Jade. These are Melody and Mary Jean, I would like you to give them a tour of the campus. They are going to stay at Poe."

"I'd be glad to, headmistress."

The headmistress dismissed us and soon we were outside talking.

"So, are you guys changelings too?"

"Changelings?" MJ asked.

"Poe is the cottage for 'alternative sexuality' here at Whateley, everyone there is either gay, bi or changelings like me."

"You mean people that changed genders?" I asked.

"Bingo. Got it in one." She said happily.

"So you mean that you are like me?" I asked.

"If like you, you mean that I used to be a boy, yes."

"I do, and I'm still trying to get used to being a girl."

"I have always been a girl l, but I am bi and I'm Mel's girlfriend."

"That's kewl. So how long did it took you to change?"

"About 24 hours, I was a guy Wednesday and by Thursday I was a complete girl."

"That was fast. I know only one person that had a change faster than hours. Now about Poe, I said it was the alternative sexuality cottage here at Whateley, right? The thing is that only the cottage residents and the school staff knows that. For the rest of the student body, Poe has the reputation of being where the nutcases are."

"But why is that?" Asked MJ.

"Because unfortunately there still is too much homophobia and transphobia around, and here it can be even more dangerous than in a regular school. Poe is where we can be ourselves without fear."

"I can understand that. A super-powered homophobic attack. I can't even imagine the scale things could get or how ugly." I said sadly.

  

###

  

Jade then led us to a room in Schuster Hall called Homer Gallery where we were shown the picture of Lord Paramount contemplating the painting of the bust of Vlad the Impaler. Apparently every single student is obligated to be shown that picture within 24 hours of arriving at the campus. We also saw one of the Champion's uniforms and metric ton of 14 karat gold.

"Now that the boring par is over, what do you guys do? I'm a devisor and have the ghost of my dead sister living inside of me and I can cast her out into a body I built for her."

"Are you an avatar too?" I asked and she gave me a funny look. "Did I say something wrong?" I asked her when I noticed her expression.

"Sorry. It's just that I had an uncomfortable experience with an avatar. She tried to steal my sister away from me."

"Don't worry I would never do something like that. I already have my hands full with mine to want another one. Why would I want another anyway?"

"Avatars get more powerful if they can host multiple spirits. Some are always trying to become more powerful even if it means stealing another avatar's spirit."

"I am powerful enough as it is, thank you."

"She is a powerhouse, her powers are amazing. I'm just a devisor and a low level energizer. I can only build things and power them." MJ said.

"So what do you do?"

"I can create solid magical illusions."

"And that means?"

"Did you ever read Green Lantern?" MJ asked Jade who nodded. "Her powers look just like that, but everything she makes is pink."

"Seriously? You are like a pink lantern? Can you make anything you want?"

"I'm not a pink lantern, and yes as far as I know I can."

"That is so kewl. Can you show me something?"

'Show me! show me! Please.'

I let Sue out as a pixie again because it was much easier on me. As soon as she appeared she flew around Jade that looked delighted and said. "I like her, she is cute and I just love her Hello Kitty top."

"I know, I thought the same thing, Sue." MJ said agreeing with her.

"You can make it talk?"

"Jade, meet Sue, she is my avatar spirit and she is controlling that construct."

"Your avatar spirit is a pixie? She is so cute."

"No, that is just the construct shape. Sue was a mutant when she was alive."

"Why don't you give her a treat, Mel? Sue asked me.

"What do you mean?"

"Make something else. Even better, make a Hello Kitty appear."

"Can you really do that?" Jade asked with sparks of excitement in her eyes.

I couldn't resist. I made appear a 2 feet tall Pink Hello Kitty that ran to Jade, jumped into her arms and hugged her.

"Oh my gawd! She is so cute. How long will she last?" She said hugging it and letting it snuggle to her.

"Until I want to or get too tired to keep her."

"And that's when you get your pink lantern to recharge your powers?" She asked and started to giggle. Even worse, MJ and Sue were giggling with her.

"We have a pink lantern on campus? No way! I can't wait to tell the guys." I heard a boy say before running off at super speed.

"Shit! Now everyone will call me that."

"Oops?" It was all Jade said and MJ was rolling on the ground laughing.

  

###

  

We did the rest of the tour unfortunately couldn't get to see inside the Crystal Hall because it was being renovated. I got myself a few candy bars from the school store to eat while I waited for lunch and we went to Poe.

"Come to the common room after you two settle in. I'll introduce you to the rest of our year changelings." Jade said before she led us inside and we met Mrs Horton.

Mrs Horton is our house mother. She explained the rules of the cottage and showed us to our room. She said that usually they put changelings together but there wasn't anyone else available to room me with so she put us in the same room.

When we opened the room door we saw what probably was our luggage. We looked and our names were written on their tags, so we opened them and put our clothes in the closets.

There was a bunk bed in the room so I turned to MJ and asked. "Top or bottom?"

"What?" She asked me confused and with a dreamy look on her face.

"Do you want the top bed or the bottom one?" I asked her again.

"Oh, the top one, please. For a second I thought you asked something else." She said blushing and shook her head.

"MJ was having kinky thoughts. MJ was having kinky thoughts." Sue sang and MJ threw a pillow at her, but sue just flew out the door giggling.

A few seconds later I could hear a boy yell. "Nikki, did you let your pixies loose again?"

"No Hank, why? " Probably that Nikki girl answered.

"I could swear I saw a pink pixie fly by me giggling." The first voice said.

It's just me or they just made that sound like a normal occurrence around here?

  

###

  

We finished organizing our things and made a list of things to buy. Our list consisted almost entirely of food items and some bits and bobs. Sue got back right before we left the room and we made our way to our floor common room. There we saw Jade with a bunch of other people.

"Hey, you guys made it. Come meet the rest of the gang." Jade waved at us and said excitedly.

We went to the corner of the room where they were and when we got closer I heard the only boy in the group say "There it is. That's the pixie I saw." and everyone started to look at sue that just flew to them and said. "Hi everyone."

"The pixie's name is Sue and she is Melody's Avatar spirit that is controlling a solid magical illusion shaped as a pixie." Jade said proudly.

"How can an illusion be solid?" A girl with short spiked hair asked.

"All my illusions have a TK field embedded on them, giving them substance." I said.

"Let's do the introductions and then you can ask questions, Ayla." Jade said.

Everyone these are Melodie and Mary Jean... "Jade was saying when we heard Sue cough." and Sue. Melody is a changeling like us and MJ is her girlfriend. You don't mind me calling you MJ, do you?"

"No I don't."

"Mel, MJ, Sue, these are Hank, Ayla, Chou, Nikki, Toni and Billie and we are all changelings too."

"Nice to meet you everyone. I never thought this kind of thing happened so much."

"Neither did we before we came here." Hank said.

"You said Sue is your avatar spirit?" Nikki, a red haired elven beauty asked.

"Yes, she is controlling a temporary construct I made for her."

"How is that possible?" She asked.

"We discovered that the constructs are somehow linked at me at all times and that we can use that link to project our consciousness into the construct."

"So what do you do exactly?" Toni, a short haired black beauty asked.

"Mel, Mel, Mel. Can I do it? I came up with the perfect way to describe your powers." Jade asked me with puppy eyes.

"Damn not the puppy eyes" I heard Toni say and Jade added the fluttering eyelids to it. Oh gosh it looked so cute in her.

"Okay, I know I'm going to regret it but... you can do it."

"Yay! This is just a little something I prepared." She said and raised her hand making a fist in front of her and started reciting something that will give nightmares for years.

"In Glamest Day.
And By Neon lights.
No Nasty Skank shall escape my sight.
To those who give wedgies and pull on my tights.
Beware my glowiness!
Pink Lantern's Light!"

"NO FREAKING WAY! YOU ARE A PINK LANTERN?" Billie, a girl with a blue hair that seems to defy gravity yelled.

"There is a pink lantern on Poe? I can't wait to tell the girls." Someone said from the hallway.

"Oops? I did it again." Jade said.

My life is over. I'll never live that down.

  


  
To be continued….
  
My special thanks to Bailey Summers for his contribution, one that will be forever known as The Pink Lantern oath.

  
Hi everyone. You know the drill, right? Comment, press the kudos button, blah blah blah blah.

Seriously, I love to hear your opinions. Even if I don't answer every single one of the comments I DO read them all and they CAN give me ideas for the story too, so they DO have an impact of how the story develops. It might also keep me from going into a serious case of writer’s block.

Hugs,
Andrea.

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Agreed

Just too cute for words.

Fun read

Elsbeth's picture

Great chapter - keep em coming.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Pink Lantern Oath

So much awesome :)

This gets serious-

But I really love the humor and silliness of your girls!
hugs
Grover

regardless

of jade's oath they were going to be PL jokes as soon as she used her power.
very funny though.
great chapter, thanks

Confusion

I'm not that far ahead on the canon Whately stories so maybe I have missed that particular episode but I was under the impression that poor Jade had yet to transform into the girl she really is? I am delighted that her dream does come true though. I was also wondering where Sarah Waite is - doesn't she usually hang with Team Kimba?

Loved the Pink Lantern Oath - trust Bailey Summers to come out with something so sweet and silly. I doubt that Mirage Rose is ever going to live that name down.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Whately Canon

Your half right jade hasn't QUITE achieved her dream YET,but she is undergoing experimental surgeries that have the effect of slowly turning her into a girl. You'd have to go read the jade series to find out exactly what I mean as it's hard to describe.

ROFLMAO xD.

This cracked me up. A few seconds later I could hear a boy yell. "Nikki, did you let your pixies loose again?"

"No Hank, why? " Probably that Nikki girl answered.

"I could swear I saw a pink pixie fly by me giggling." The first voice said.

It's just me or they just made that sound like a normal occurrence around here?

Followed by baileys pink lantern oath.

Hilarious!

I love the Pink Lantern Oath! I woke up my wife laughing at it! I've got to put that on a poster of some sort! Wonderful episode, more, please!

It's my lucky day! "Whisper" and two chapters of Pink? Pure Whatley goodness!

Wren

Pink? Why Pink? - Part 19

Wait till they experience the RED RAGE of the PINK LANTERN.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh dear, oh dear... :)

Just in case anyone had the notion that Poe couldn't get any crazier, Jade composes poetry - continuing the "Pink Lantern" meme that will now rapidly spread around campus. I wonder how long it will be before Mel gets sick and tired of people asking where her lantern is? Ayla, your ability to influence campus networks may be needed soon, unless the campus quickly gets over the joke.

As to Jade's exact status: she's M2F TG with Regen 5. Hormones and conventional surgery wouldn't work, so she's had some experimental (and quick!) surgery to hide the unwanted bits inside her body cavity, so 'down below' she appears female. For reasons as yet unknown, her body stopped developing at the age of eleven, whereas she manifested three years later at the age of fourteen; but curiously from first appearance, Jinn's default form has been as a chronologically fourteen year old girl from day one, leading (IIRC) to speculation that Jinn's appearance may be derived from Jade's BIT, but whatever 'locked' her into her current form is preventing that from showing.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Ge ha ha ha ha ha

From the dullest days to the drabbest nights

No drollness can escape my sight

Let those who disdain Fashions might

Beware my power

Pink Lanterns Light

Paula

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

I have the feeling her pink lantern moniker is gonna stick

... whether she likes it or not.

Thing is, Melodie has a well rounded power set but by Whateley standards she is not particular strong in any one, aside from regen where I am guessing she is a regen 5 or 6. A regen 7 is like Tennyo who can regenerate nearly instantaneously.

Her TK shells can only withstand 5 tons of force so Hank can take her down if he sets his mind to it, for example. Training will be extremely important for her, consequently.

Her nickname will more than likely become Pinky and god knows if she gets involved with somebody who is genius level, well, you guessed it, they would be called Pinky and the Brain :)

Point is, lumbered she is with her pinkiness, she either figures out how to embrace the pink and make it something positive or she will be hobbled mentally and maybe get bullied for it as in Whateley, I do not believe you can show weakness else your rank on the mutant pecking order would be below Underdog status.

Kim

Pinky and the Brain

tmf's picture

If she gets involved with a genius. Can a devisor do the trick ?

tmf

MJ's supposed to be a devisor...

So yeah likely someone will hit them with Pinky and the Brain.

Bailey Summers

Mwah-ha-ha-ha...The Power of Pink compels you!

"Star Sapphire?"
"Nope She's the Pink Lantern."
"Seriously?"
"Yep, Seriously."
"Oh good god team Wonder Cute just got another heavy hitter."
.........................
*Great Big Hugs*

I can't wait for more:)
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

That reminds me. I've seen a

Brooke Erickson's picture

That reminds me. I've seen a few references in passing to Team Wondercute in the canon Whateley stuff. But no actual stuff about the team (other than Jade and some other folks I forget being on it).

Have I missed a story line or something?

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Now the really hard part begins.

Now the really hard part begins. With them at Whateley they will and already started to interact with several known characters and it is never easy to write them. There is also all the buildings, class schedules and a lot of other details to consider if I want the story to keep at least partially true to the timeline, even being a fan- fiction.

So, probably from now on I might not be able to post a chapter a day as I want to give all the wonderful characters of this universe the best treatment I can and hopefully make them a little justice.

Of course it also means that the chapters will more than probably be longer and hopefully better written.

Hugs everyone,
Andrea.

Jade *really* needs to be

Brooke Erickson's picture

Jade *really* needs to be more careful.

Also, somebody needs to suggest that Melody fake "needing" a "pink lantern" to recharge. I'd say Bunny would be a good choice to build it,

This'd give her a fake vulnerability to distract folks. Maybe she needs something like the original Green Lantern's vulnerability to wood, or the Silver Age Green Lantern's vulnerability to yellow.

Anything to make folks think they have an edge.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

That pink lantern oath is a

That pink lantern oath is a good weakness. Make people think she needs to recite it before she can attack or fight and she'll get a drop on the fools :D

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi