Somewhere Else Entirely -68-

Printer-friendly version

Keren is in a tight spot but there is help at hand... with the immediate danger over Garia begins to make plans for the future. And so do the people of Blackstone, much to everyone's surprise.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

68 - The Ptuvil's Claw


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Stay there! Stay where you are or I'll spit this little lordling!"

Garia wasted no time, pushing immediately between the men. Brydas put out a hand to restrain her, thinking to protect her, but when he saw the two swords and the expression on her face he stepped aside. She strode into the dormitory, her swords held out straight in front of her.

Keep moving. Don't let the situation stabilize because it will be harder to succeed from an entrenched position. Keep him off-balance.

The plaster-covered man saw her and turned, astonished by what he saw. Automatically, his sword-point moved as well to cover the new threat. Garia kept walking and the man was forced to back away into the room. As soon as he was able Keren slid away to join the others, now entering the doorway.

The man waved his point around in a circle and then suddenly thrust forward to test his new opponent. Garia immediately flicked her swords up into an X, trapping the man's blade and deflecting it to the left with a twist of her wrists. He pulled his blade back and tried an overhead cut, to be met the same way.

This isn't a training exercise, this is for real! I gotta be real careful here.

The man tried a cut from Garia's left, the expression on his face one of uncertainty. Garia met it with her X and then swept the blade down to her left. This freed her right-hand blade and she twisted her trunk while thrusting with the blade, scoring a hit on his left thigh. The man winced and then pulled back, staring at his opponent in fear.

He doesn't know what to do! He has no idea how to deal with a female opponent and my unconventional swords confuse him as well. He probably can't use a sword that well in any case. It's fine for looking macho and intimidating townspeople but...

The man tried another cut from the left but pulled his sword away as Garia swept it down, hoping to expose her right side but she was too quick for him. She moved forward a step, pushing him back around the room. He tried a cut from the right then, while Garia was still moving, using his longer reach to lean forward and prick her chest with his point before retreating. There was a gasp from the others but Garia merely moved another step forward, her blades out again, forcing him backward.

He tried an undercut, hoping to get his blade between her hilts but discovered why that wasn't a good idea. Garia slid a blade so that his was trapped in the curl of her cross-guard and twisted. With difficulty he pulled his own free and stepped back again. Desperately he lunged again and again she trapped his blade, freeing her right hand to thrust forward. He leaned back to avoid the point - and tripped on the pile of material he had dislodged when he fell through the ceiling. As he went backwards he automatically put down both hands to break his fall... and the sword came flying out of his hand and went spinning across the bare floor.

"I yield! I yield!"

The others rushed forward, blades at the ready, to ensure that the man stayed down. Brydas came to Garia.

"Milady, you are injured!"

"No, Master Brydas," she said, breathing heavily, "only my clothing. He didn't get deep enough to draw blood."

"But I saw - " He looked at the expression on her face. "Never mind."

Keren came forward with the man's sword, which he had retrieved, in his hand. He examined it briefly before sliding into his scabbard. Garia's eyes widened in disbelief.

"That was your sword?"

"Aye," he agreed, giving her an embarrassed smile. "We collided at the doorway and I dropped my sword as we both fell. It was my misfortune he discovered it first."

"Highness," Brydas said, "that was a rash move, but you already realize that."

"Aye, master smith." Another embarrassed smile. "Blame my youth and inexperience for that."

"Highness?" The man on the floor blurted. "You are the King's son?"

"Aye," Keren said shortly, turning to him. "What of it?"

"I did not know... we did not expect..." He shook his head. "This day has turned from disaster to calamity. Master Trogan is taken?"

"Yesterday, when we arrived. You did not know?"

"Highness, I was bringing the beasts in from pasture. I did not know what had happened. My fellows told me that we were hunted in the town by armed men, I knew not who."

"My presence here in Blackstone is circumstance. I am escorting the new Baroness of Blackstone to view her newly allotted lands."

The man's face drained until it was completely bloodless. He stared at Garia.

"She is... Highness, we were told nothing. We thought the Lord Gilbanar still ruled these lands."

"Trogan did not tell you? Surely there must have been letters announcing the change?"

"I know not, Highness. Only one or two besides Master Trogan can read. He tells us only what he wishes us to do."

Brydas asked, "You call him Master Trogan. Do you believe him to be legally appointed as Tax Assessor?"

"Why, yes, master smith." He looked at the faces surrounding him in horror. "You mean he is not?" His eyes fell. "I am a dead man."

"Almost certainly," Keren said, which made the man look up at him. "Can you stand? What of those who were here with you? How many?"

"Highness, we were three last night." His tone became bitter. "When I awoke this morning they had gone, taking my beast with them. I am left to face the consequences."

Keren stared at the man as Brydas and Brazan helped him to his feet. Blood trickled down the man's thigh but it did not look like a serious wound. He came to a decision.

"I may not prejudge your trial, but if the outcome be death, and you have told us what you can about this business, I will promise that it shall be quick and clean. What say you?"

"Highness, I will take whatever you offer. I must throw myself on your mercy, there is no other way."

"Your name?"

"Sethan, Highness."

Keren turned. "Let's go. We will complete our search of this building since we may not yet trust what this man tells us. Brazan, Dennard, take this man to join the others."

"Aye, Highness."

The two guardsmen took the man out, limping between them. Brydas turned to Garia.

"Milady, I was sure I saw him stick you. Are you sure there is no wound?"

She smiled at the smith.

"Brydas, you may know of the King's Armorer, a smith named Haflin." Brydas nodded in recognition. "Inside this tabard he hid plates of steel for just an event such as this, although he did not expect them to stop a sword thrust. I have a tear in the cloth which can easily be repaired, that's all."

Brydas came closer and searched the cloth, noting the bright glint through a small ragged tear. He also noticed her badges and his eyes widened in shock.

"Milady, you wear a guild badge! How is this possible?"

Garia tried and failed to hide a glow of pride. "Look closely, Master Smith, and read it."

"Guildmistress... number one! This is amazing! You are also a warrior... I cannot believe it of any woman, that such may be possible! Yet you are not even old enough to be a prentice. Tell me, milady, how this is done."

"There will be time for all this, master smith," Keren interrupted. "We have a building to clear. Hmmm. If that man speaks the truth, then the others have fled before us. Still, we must make sure that none remain lurking nearby. Come."

The front of the building held the men's dormitory and two smaller bedrooms, all bare. At the top of the stairs Garia sagged against Keren.

"You are injured, milady!" Brydas exclaimed.

"No, Master Brydas," Garia said as Keren put his arm around her. "Just coming down from the high of fighting, is all." She smiled at the smith. "That wasn't a long fight but it was my first with swords and it involved a great deal of concentration. It can be done but you pay for it afterward. I'll be okay in a moment or two."

Brydas stared at the young girl. Her first fight? With swords? Whatever else had she done?

Downstairs they entered the common room, which took up the whole width of the building apart from the carriage entrance. In one back corner was an empty cubicle where the inn-keeper usually sat. There was no furniture except a single broken bench. Garia turned to the smith.

"What happened here, Master Brydas?"

"Years ago, milady, the town was more prosperous from the sale of wool and this inn was built to accommodate merchants who came to buy. A disease of the foot reduced the flocks and the trade collapsed. This inn was too big to survive the loss of business. The Bell Inn, where you reside, barely manages with the tavern trade, milady. Without the wool we are no better than a poor mountain village."

"The owners gave up and went, then? So, who owns this property now?"

Brydas shrugged. "I know not, milady. I guess... it returns to the owner of the land, who is the Duke. Ah, perhaps that means that you own it now, milady. As you may know, all properties are held by title from the liege of the land and ultimately the King."

Garia turned to Keren. "What do you think, Keren? This building is vacant and available and we need somewhere to make a headquarters." Brydas frowned at the strange word but Keren nodded. "When Jaxen gets sent off to start a link to Tranidor we'll lose most of the accommodation up at the camp site so we'll need somewhere to put the men up and they can't all stay at the Bell. Why not here?"

"It's a good idea, Garia. This place is big enough it ought to be able to take everyone we brought with us, and we'll need somewhere in town until we return south. This room," he gestured, "is big enough for us to exercise in, to hold meetings, even perhaps to hold trials. There's plenty of room out back for our wagons and beasts. The only concern is the state of the building. Master Brydas, you walked the building with us, your professional opinion?"

The smith considered. "It's not all my specialty, Highness, but in such remote regions we must perforce learn of each other's trade. Let me see... We are mostly weather tight, there are broken windows and some woodwork needs repair. I know not of the roof." He grinned. "Of course there is a new hole in the ceiling of the women's dormitory to repair. There is also a complete lack of furniture to remedy. If you will permit, I will ask those of the proper trade to come to assess the work needed and bring a report to you and milady this evening at the Bell."

"As you wish, Master Smith. Consider this your authorization to begin immediately any works you deem urgent."

"Thank you, Highness."

When they regained the street they found groups of people waiting. A man came to them, bowing to Keren.

"Highness, we have searched the whole town and found no other living. The body has been taken and placed with those who died yesterday."

"Thank you. It seems that two have escaped with three beasts. We captured the third within."

Jaxen walked across the street from the Bell Inn, people making way for him.

"Highness, it seems the town is clear. I hear you flushed one yourself."

Keren gave a rueful grin. "Aye, Jaxen, I did, although I was almost spitted by my own sword for my trouble." Some in the crowd gasped. "Milady here took him on and bested him."

Jaxen grinned. "I would expect no less of milady." The grin faded. "Two here report food and fodder to be missing this morning, Highness."

"Aye. It seems that two got away with three frayen, leaving their fellow to his fate. No doubt they took provisions for their flight."

"What are your commands, Highness?"

"We must spread the search more widely, I think, though it will not involve all the townspeople. Most have their lives to resume, although a watch will need keeping in case those men return. As for yourself, I think milady has plans for you."

"Ah? Milady, at your service."

"Carry on this morning, Jaxen," Garia said. "We'll talk over and after lunch."

"Now," Keren added, his eyes hard, "we have to face those men. Garia, are you prepared?"

"As ever I'll be," she replied. "Let's do this."

"Master Smith, shall you join us?"

"Aye, Highness."

The three entered the watch office and made their way through to the back. Trogan was sitting in a cell while his men were in the other two.

"So, Trogan," Keren began, "you have some explaining to do."

"You are the son of the King?" Trogan said, not bothering to rise.

"I am," Keren replied evenly. "The question I ask is, are you a properly appointed Tax Assessor, and if so, who appointed you? By what right do you leech these people?"

"I have a letter of appointment, if you would permit me leave to show you."

"Anyone may wave a letter of appointment about," Keren countered, "especially if it was taken from its rightful owner. Or," he added as an afterthought, "taken from a messenger. Give me the name of he who appointed you."

"It was... I forget now, it was some time ago. Who is she? What manner of woman wears swords and kicks her elders and betters?"

"This is Milady Garia, Baroness Blackstone, come to inspect her lands."

Two of the men in the other cells jumped to their feet.

"You never told us about no baroness!" one accused Trogan hotly. The other added, "What else have you kept from us?"

"You didn't need to know that," Trogan said sulkily. "You just had to do what you were told. Besides, we only have this boy's word of who they are. We will be freed once the mistake is discovered."

"Trogan," Keren said, "you are a fool." He turned to the other men. "I am Prince Keren, son of King Robanar of Palarand. Beside me is the Baroness of Blackstone, created at this year's Harvest Festival. Since that day she has been liege over this town and all Blackstone Vale although it is only recently that we have been able to visit these lands. Whether Trogan is who he claims to be or no, let it be understood that he stands accused of opening without authority packets carried by the Valley Messenger Service, which crime carries an automatic death sentence for him and all associated with him." The two men abruptly sat down.

"In addition," Keren continued, "he will have to answer for his conduct in the office he assumed in this town. If he is who he claims to be then he will be transported to Palarand to answer for his conduct. If he is not, then the real Tax Assessor, should one have existed at all, must be dead and therefore he is guilty of murder. If no Tax Assessor did exist, then he is guilty of impersonating an appointed official. Do I make myself clear?"

"Aye, Highness," the first one said heavily.

Trogan curled his lip. "If you kill us you will have murder on your own hands."

Garia spoke. "Not so. You shall be brought to trial in the town, before all your accusers, and we shall find the truth of this matter. We will do this strictly by the book."

"Book? What means she?"

"She means," Keren explained, "that all will be according to the laws of Palarand. Her expressions are sometimes... unusual." His gaze hardened. "Do not be misled by this seeming young girl. You have time, ask Sethan how she handled those swords you see. And she does not need swords. In Castle Dekarran she killed a man with a single kick."

Trogan sneered, "Fanciful tales of the young!"

One of the men muttered, "She kicked you hard enough," which wiped the expression from Trogan's face.

"Will you tell me the name of he who appointed you?" Keren asked again.

Trogan gave Keren a sullen look but did not reply.

Keren turned. "Milady, Master Smith, we have wasted enough time here. Let us go somewhere less noxious."

In the outer office, with the internal door shut, Keren asked Brydas in a low voice, "Can we separate Trogan from those others? I begin to wonder if we may find out more were he not present to overawe them."

Brydas thought. "I think so, Highness. I will need to check the place, and the security of the doors and locks, before I name the place. Did you notice how one did not appear so surprised when milady's name was mentioned? The man Sethan would already know but the others should not."

Keren nodded. "A good thought. Perhaps we may split them all up? I am not versed in the ways of extracting information from criminals."

Brydas grinned. "Nor are any of us, Highness. Most hope never to need that knowledge. Is there anything else we need do this morning, Highness? It will not be long before lunch, and while we rude tradesmen may eat attired as we are, I do not doubt that milady will want to refresh herself."

Keren nodded. "Aye, Brydas, let us make ready for lunch. Afterward... Garia, you had some plan?"

"I think I want to get everyone who came with the caravan together afterward, Keren. We need to go over what happened yesterday and this morning while the events are still fresh. And I have plans for Jaxen, yes, and others." She smiled at the smith. "Master Brydas, can I leave you to organize the townspeople? I don't think there will be much danger from the two who escaped. We'll leave guards at the Sheriff's Office, of course."

"My Lady?"

"Uh, I mean the watch office. I'm sorry, where I come from we'd have a man called a Sheriff looking after the law in a town like this. I just forgot, is all."

"As you wish, milady."

Keren and Garia walked across the road into the common room of the Bell Inn. The place was busy, with servants already serving beer and food to some of the locals, no doubt hungry after scouring the town. Unlike the previous occasion there was no hush when they entered but rather a muted applause with everyone standing briefly before resuming their meals. Keren responded with a wave before guiding Garia out the rear entrance into the courtyard. They were followed by Jenet, Sukhana and Brazan.

"Oh! We forgot." Garia turned. "Sookie, would you mind going across the road and fetching Merry? She's still in that big building reading documents. We're back here to get ready for lunch."

Sukhana smiled. "As you wish, milady."

As she went back into the common room Keren looked at Garia with a raised eyebrow. "You are not, by any chance, about to gain another retainer, I take it?"

She smiled. "I don't think so. Sookie's too independant for the kind of life we lead." She looked around. "Jenet and I will leave you now, Keren. See you in a few moments. We won't be long."

She turned to go up the women's stairs but Keren caught her arm.

"Jenet, Brazan, will you let us speak in private a moment?"

He led Garia into the middle of the courtyard where they could be seen but not heard. She looked up at him with a question in her eyes.

"You took a big risk this morning," he said, "with both our lives. What made you decide to come straight in like that with your swords out? One or both of us could have been injured - or worse."

She shook her head. "No, Keren. On Earth we are taught how to deal with a position like that which would have turned into a hostage situation. The men all round the door had frozen which was the very last thing we needed so I had to go in by myself. If we had waited even a few breaths Sethan would have had time to think about his circumstances and make changes which would have made your release much more difficult. The idea is to keep moving, keep changing things, positions, so that the other guy has no time to think out what he wants to do to get the result he needs. I knew he would never have faced an armed woman before, knew he would never have even seen anyone using swords like mine. The worst that could have happened is that one of us might have gotten cut. You and I both know he was never getting out of that room, was he?"

"Aye." He nodded. "But, even so -"

"Keren," she added, "I could no more have stood by in that situation than I could have stopped breathing." My love. "You mean so much to me that I will do anything to fight by your side or for your life. There was no way I would have stopped outside that door with you in danger."

Keren stared down at Garia, his heart singing. Did she know how much her own impulses reflected his own? Probably. His arms twitched, he wanted to crush her to his body and kiss her - but this was not the time, not with chaperones watching.

Instead, he replied tenderly, "And I would do no less for you, as you know very well." He sighed. "Garia, what are we to do? My parents have set us a riddle I doubt can ever be resolved."

Her eyes flared. "There will be a way, Keren. We will find it." She paused, thoughtful. "I wonder, I do not think the Queen is as opposed as you might imagine. For that matter, I wonder if your father's objections are as much to do with what others might think rather than his own choice."

"Hmm. Rather like the riding of frayen in public, you mean?" He nodded slowly. "Perhaps you are right, but in truth we do not know. All we can be sure of is that we must resolve this by the time we return to the palace."

"Agreed. And now, if you don't mind, I have a pressing previous appointment in the bath house. Jenet!"

~o~O~o~

"Milady, you said you had plans," Jaxen said, reaching for his tankard.

"Yes, I did. I've been thinking about what needs doing and while it will take me some time to figure out the mess we've landed in, certain things are fairly straightforward. You see, Keren and I will have a lot of letters to write and I've no doubt there will be a whole lot of correspondance going back and fore while we're in Blackstone. Can you imagine what the King and the Duke are going to say when they find out what's happened?"

Jaxen grinned. "Oh, yes, milady. I already imagined that."

"I'm assuming you have some discretion from Master Tanon what you can do while you're out here with us?"

Jaxen shrugged. "I'm technically on contract to the Crown, milady, but these are your lands and the Prince is here anyway, so aye, whatever you need I'll consider."

"Then I want you to start up a shuttle service between here and Tranidor."

"Shuttle service..? Oh! Yes, I see! Very good, milady!"

"To begin with you'll just be the mailman, I guess, but this town is going to need lots of everything soon and they'll need a transport link to bring it from Tranidor. Can you do that?"

"Easy, milady. If I just run a wagon or two between here and Tranidor that will be two days each way..." Jaxen calculated, finally nodding. "Aye, I can do that. Blackstone ought to have been one of Master Tanon's routes in any case. We'll have to stop overnight, milady..."

"I was coming to that. Bezan, I want you to accompany Jaxen's wagons on the first trip."

"Milady." The mason sat up straighter.

"Stop at that campsite and do some survey work. I'll want the two burnt-out blocks rebuilt and you can draw up plans for a permanent road house there, with plenty of parking space for wagons. Aim to have accommodation for staff and guests and somewhere for messenger riders to get remounts. You can begin hiring whoever you need for the work once you reach Tranidor. Jaxen, you'll allow him time to survey the site?"

"Of course, milady. He may require my knowledge of such places in any event. We'll stay as long as he decides is necessary."

"Milady," Bezan said, "I understand the need to rebuild what was destroyed but a road house? Will there be the need?"

"I haven't finished yet, Bezan. Think about the future. I want you to start building, now, what I just described to you." Bezan nodded. "But also plan out the site so that it can be expanded as and when it becomes necessary. Say, in stages, up to maybe... two hundred wagons overnight."

"Milady! You are not serious!"

Garia grinned. "Ask your fellow guildsman just how much coal is up that mountain behind the town. How are we going to get it to the foundries?" She added, "It won't just be coal going down into Tranidor. There will be tools, materials, supplies, people and food coming the other way to support the mines we are going to have here by the end of next year. All that traffic will need somewhere to rest overnight. I've assumed a hundred wagons a day going each way, so plan on that basis once the work picks up."

"Milady, this sounds..."

She grinned again. "Crazy? I've barely begun, Bezan. Oh, and when you get to Tranidor, I'll want you to come back as soon as you can after finding people and contracting them for the construction work. We - or rather you - are going to have to look at exactly how this town runs and what might happen if another five thousand people suddenly turn up. I told the townspeople I wasn't going to let there be disorganized development and that means we - you - get to do the organizing."

Bezan looked stunned. "As you command, milady," he eventually said. "But, what you ask cannot be done without money."

"Don't worry about money just yet. One of the packets I received when we arrived at Tranidor was from the Queen, a letter of credit for four thousand crowns." She smiled. "I have no idea how much that is, but it should be enough to get you started?"

Bezan looked wilted. "As you say, milady," he agreed faintly. "It should."

"Oh! One final thing," she added. "When you get to the camp site, and you're wandering around laying out lines or whatever it is you do, keep an eye open for graves. I can't imagine that place was burned to the ground without somebody paying for it."

Bezan nodded as Jaxen stirred. "Milady, you raise an interesting point. I'll ask my men to do a search while we are there."

Yarling put his tankard down. "Milady, five thousand? How can you know how many might be needed?"

"Oh, that was just a figure I picked out of the air, Master Miner. You're the expert, after all. We might end up with..." she shrugged. "Two thousand, twenty thousand, who knows? All I do know is that it will be a heck of a lot more people than lives here now."

"As you say, milady. Any of those numbers might be right in time. And... do you have a task for me, milady?"

"Yes, I do, but it is not quite so urgent as those of Jaxen and Bezan. Have you talked to any of the townsfolk since you arrived?"

"No, milady. I was out with a search party this morning, that is all."

"Then see if you can find someone who knows the area and is willing to help you make up a small surveying party. I want to get an idea of what is around Blackstone and the end of Bray Vale at first. Don't bother with Blackstone Vale, we can do that later. Bring back samples of the different rocks you come across, with the emphasis on coal, naturally. Did you tell me you'd been here before?"

"Yes, milady. We found little of interest, but then we ignored coal completely. I still find it difficult to understand how it is used, milady."

"Two things, then. After lunch we are all going up to the caravan to have a talk with the whole crew. I'd like both of you to come, if you wouldn't mind. Once we are back down here, Master Yarling, go into the kitchen and you will see coal being used to cook your food and heat your water. That's the basic way that coal is used as a heating fuel."

Yarling nodded.

"Coal has another trick for us, though, and it is this trick the ironmasters will pay good money for. If you heat wood in an enclosed vessel you end up with charcoal, right? In the same way if you heat coal you end up with something called coke which can be used for ironmaking. It allows a hotter fire and a purer iron or steel, so I am told."

"If you say so, milady." Yarling looked sceptical.

Garia shrugged. "Write Guildmaster Parrel if you don't believe me. With coke providing better steel the guildmasters expect iron and steel production to increase greatly in the next few years."

"Increase production greatly?" Yarling echoed Garia's words cautiously. "How much do you anticipate, milady?"

"I'm thinking of..." She stopped and grinned. "You won't believe me if I tell you, Master Miner. Let's just suggest you think of the biggest quantity you possibly can, then multiply it by a hundred. A thousand. Ten thousand. But that level of output won't happen for fifty years or so, it will take Palarand that long to think up uses for all that steel."

"So much, milady? Why, most steel now is used for swords and armor. You cannot intend to arm and armor every man, woman and child in Alaesia, surely?"

"Master Yarling, we have not time to go into this now." She smiled to defuse her words. "Perhaps this evening, I may tell you what it's like where I came from and then you might understand."

Yarling stared at Garia, puzzled by both her knowledge and the apparent power she seemed to have. Why, even the Prince listened to her! He had been given certain instructions, it was true, but it seemed that those who issued those instructions failed to understand the nature of what was happening. Perhaps it would be best to wait and see what more this young woman had to say.

He looked at her, sitting across the dining table from him, saw her curious attire with the sash of office over a quilted tabard. She had removed the swords now so that she could eat, as they interfered with her comfort while seated. On the sash - his eyes narrowed - two badges, one he recognized as an indicator of baronial rank, the other -

"Milady, forgive me," he found himself saying. "I note that you bear two badges of rank on your sash. One I recognize as your mark of nobility, but how came you by the other? Surely that is not a Guild badge I see?"

He was not comforted by the smile on Bezan's face.

"It is a Guild badge, Master Miner. It was lawfully award to me by a convocation at the Hall of the Guilds in Palarand by Master Hurdin himself."

"But, but, how is this possible? You are a woman..."

Garia frowned. "How else did you think it got there, Yarling? Do you think I stole a lump of gold, hammered it into a sheet, cut out the shape, filed it down, polished it and then engraved it myself? I'll show you a document sent by Master Hurdin himself, if you wish, giving me the right to wear this badge."

Now Yarling was at a complete loss. "Milady, how is it you know so much about the jeweler's art? For one so young, and yet a woman, you cannot possibly have had time to learn of such matters!"

"Actually, there you are quite wrong, Master Miner. But - Keren, this will take too long, we have places to be, meetings to attend."

"As you say, Garia. Master Yarling, will you heed my words? Milady Garia is not from Alaesia but from somewhere else entirely. Her life until she arrived here has been completely different than you may imagine and she does, indeed know of what she speaks. If you will take my assurance, all will be answered - but not at this table, we are too busy."

"Highness, your words assure me. I look forward to learning more of this mystery."

"Then let us all rise. Brazan, shall you collect all who came with our caravan and conduct them up to the camp site? There are matters which need the attention of everyone."

"As you command, Highness. But what of the criminals? Who shall guard their cells?"

"We'll find some townspeople to guard them the bell or two necessary, I think. Go, find all the Baroness's men."

Keren led the party out onto the covered sidewalk in front of the inn where all stopped in astonishment. Across the road, people swarmed over the Ptuvil's Claw. There were two men on the roof, one hammering back loose tiles while the other crawled along the ridge with a pot in one hand and a brush in the other. On the balcony, one man was mending a damaged siding slat, another was removing a broken pane of glass while two more were trying to fix a twelve-foot pole so it hung out over the street. On the covered sidewalk in front of the inn the front doors were now open, two men examining the hinges of one door while a third, apparently a carpenter, was mending the other.

Their party was soon noticed and one of the men inspecting the front door turned towards them, waved and then came across the road. It was Brydas.

"Highness, Milady. Apart from the hole in the dormitory ceiling," he smiled, "the building is essentially sound. One or two of our tradesmen have thought to show their appreciation for your efforts by hastening the work needed to ready the building for your use. I trust this meets with your approval?"

When Garia had recovered she replied, "Uh, yes, Master Brydas. I didn't think that you would start work so quickly. I thought you were going to come by this evening with a report?"

He smiled and bowed. "Milady, after watching you fence that man, and after hearing of your fight yesterday which another witnessed, we soon realized that you were indeed the right person for this town, to do, what did you say? Your 'job'. We recognize your youth and inexperience but also your determination to serve your people - and your Prince. If you would permit us, we will make you one of our own, guide you in the decisions you must take on our behalf. We know that there are many in your party and that not all may be accommodated in the Bell so we decided to begin the necessary repairs as soon as we could, for your benefit." His expression grew hesitant. "I trust we do right?"

Garia was overcome. "Master Brydas, you just carry on. It was not absolutely necessary to begin right now but since you have begun, you'd better finish what you started. Is there anything you cannot fix?"

"Furniture, milady, to begin with. We can find enough to seat you all for meals, but bedding and other fixtures must await the turn of the days. It takes time to make such items. Paint, also. You can see by looking along the street how much we lack paint, since we were not able to send to Tranidor to replenish our supplies."

Jaxen stepped forward. "Paint I can arrange, Master Smith. Tell me what you need and I'll bring back a wagon-load."

"My thanks to you, Wagonmaster. Milady, there is also the matter of plates, utensils and such for eating and drinking. Oh, and for cooking, of course. The kitchen has been empty these two years."

"We can use what we brought with us," Keren said. "But of course the establishment will need to be set up anew. Perhaps we can ask Mistress Yanda to advise us."

Jaxen grinned. "Suddenly I'm beginning to see why milady spoke of so many wagons. I will do what I can in Tranidor, perhaps while Master Bezan meets his contacts." He thought. "Master Smith, do you think the building is sound enough for us to move in immediately? While we can manage up the street the shelter of a building is always preferable to a night under canvas."

"I do not see why not, Wagonmaster. Certainly you may bring your wagons and beasts to the stables. There are only four of the ladies, is that not so? Therefore, you should be able to use the smaller rooms, the dormitory is not yet fit for use. The men's dormitory is already available, although, as I said, there are yet no beds."

Keren turned to Garia. "What do you think? I hadn't thought we could use the building this soon, but if we can..."

"We'll stay over here for the time being, I think," she said after a little thought. "But there's no reason why the others shouldn't move down from the camp site. The nights are not as warm as they once were and I noticed we had the odd rain shower last night. Jaxen, if you want to move, you have my permission."

"As you wish, milady."

Garia turned to Brydas. "One thing that is puzzling me. What is that pole for?"

Brydas looked surprised that she should ask. "Why, for your standard, milady! Do you not yet have one? It will identify the building as your residence while you are with us."

"Actually, I do have a standard. I'm not sure where it is, but we'll dig it out. Hmm. That gives me an idea. Master Brydas, can you arrange to gather all the townspeople together in front of the Ptuvil's Claw tomorrow morning? Maybe send out runners to the nearby farms? I won't want to keep everybody for very long but perhaps I should formally introduce myself to... all my people."

Garia wasn't sure she should have phrased it quite that way but Brydas smiled broadly.

"As you command, My Lady! It is fitting that the person who released us from this evil should be properly displayed to her people. I know there are many in the town who have heard about you but not yet seen you and such a gathering as you propose will satisfy many unanswered questions." He thought, then nodded to himself. "Milady, if all gather perhaps a bell before lunch, that will allow time for those farmers you mentioned to arrive, then to return home while it is yet daylight."

"Whatever works best, Master Brydas. You'll organize that?"

"Aye, milady." He looked at the group of people outside the inn door properly for the first time. "My apologies, Highness, Milady. Were you about some business?"

Keren answered. "We were, Master Brydas, until we were arrested by the sight of so many working on yonder building. All who came with our caravan are going to have a meeting up at the camp site. Can you find some reliable men to stand guard over the watch office while we are away?"

"Aye, Highness, that will be easy. If you will permit, I shall go and find those men to allow your own to accompany you."

Brydas bowed, turned and walked back to the inn, going in through the carriage arch. They heard some shouting, then four men came out and went along the sidewalk to take the place of Garia's and Keren's men. Now assembled, the whole party walked up the slope to the camp site, where Keren asked them to form a circle as they had done before.

"Milady Garia has reminded me of a useful habit the palace guard and her own men have gotten into. This is something that we do as soon as possible after every incident while the details are still fresh. You all know that every person sees something different than his fellows and so only by everyone describing their own part can the whole picture be seen and all lessons learned. We call this process 'debriefing'. I don't know if you of the wagons have a similar custom but I commend it to you. Now, we shall first speak of the fight yesterday because few who took part saw what most others did. I certainly didn't see much and I would welcome the tale of how the other men were dispatched. After that, we may describe what happened earlier this morning at the Ptuvil's Claw." He flushed. "My own actions were questionable and I would welcome the advice of those more experienced in such matters."

"Highness?"

Keren looked embarrassed. "You'll all hear later. First let us deal with yesterday's fight."

Each member of the caravan, including the women, then described one by one where they were and what they saw and did during the encounter. For Keren and Garia, since they were the only two who experienced personal combat, the assistance of a guardsman or armsman was used to demonstrate exactly what had happened. Most of Jaxen's men had heard rumors of what those two were capable of but hearing it described and seeing it demonstrated merely made them wonder if they had ever understood the young woman at all.

The only really interesting description, from Garia's point of view, came from Stott.

"I knew something was going on, but I was the wrong side of the wagons to see all that happened. I was riding beside the first wagon, on the left. I could see that man come to stand in front of the dranakh with a crossbow but that was all. As I was out of sight I thought it best to stay that way, until something started, if you know what I mean. I looked at all the buildings on my side but there wasn't nobody threatening that I could see.

"Then I heard D'Kenik call out in some funny language. I know he's foreign, I guessed it was his own tongue. Anyhow I heard milady answer! I didn't know she spoke that foreign talk and I couldn't hear that clearly from where I was, I just knew it was her voice. I turned round in the saddle to see what was happening and there was D'Janik giving everybody hand signals! So I thought, what could I do, and I thought about the man in the front with the crossbow. I quietly pulled my bow out and looped the string, at the same time guiding my beast with my knees and legs to where I could take aim.

"Milady, I never realized just how much control those new saddles give the rider! I could get right up close to the side of the front wagon without being seen, all without using the reins. Milady, I'll apologize now for what I said when you first came to learn about frayen. I didn't know you could do things like that! Anyhow, I set my arrow and pulled back but the dranakh was in the way. If I moved away from the wagon to get a clear sight he'd-a seen me so I didn't know what to do. Then the dranakh moved to one side to give me a clear aim. When I heard the sounds of fighting he looked up, I let fly and got him in the chest. Once things settled down I dismounted and went to make sure he was dead."

"A fine piece of work, Stott," Keren told him warmly. "You have earned your place in the guard with that arrow. You thought quickly and carefully in an unexpected situation, you have my thanks."

"Thank you, Highness."

"That dranakh," Garia mused. "Do you think that was coincidence, Stott?"

"Milady, after some of what I've seen recently I'm not making any guesses at all about what happened." He thought briefly. "I do wonder, it seemed to happen just when I needed it to."

"I have a theory," she said. "It's a pretty wild theory, even for me, and I'll say no more about it today. Perhaps we'd better move on. Anyone anything to add to what we've all said?"

They all talked over the action to the point of diminishing returns and then moved on to what happened in the Ptuvil's Claw. First Keren and then Garia led them through the search and the fight in the dormitory, with Brazan acting the part of Sethan. There was a certain muttering among the guardsmen about young Princes who went off without sufficient cover which resolved Keren to be more careful in the future. Once that had been settled talk moved on to Garia's plans.

"I probably won't want Jaxen to leave tomorrow or possibly even the following day. It depends on how fast Keren and I can write the letters we need. Personally I have to write the King, the Queen, Duke Gilbanar and Guildmasters Hurdin and Parrel and I'd like to write some others as well. That being the case Master Brydas the local smith has suggested the wagons and your effects move down to occupy the Ptuvil's Claw. There's very little furniture yet but at least it will be a roof over your heads and there's a sizeable kitchen and bath house out back. The stables look in good condition too so the beasts and wagons will be out of the weather.

"While I'm in Blackstone Keren and I will make the Ptuvil's Claw our base of operations although for a day or two we'll still sleep at the Bell Inn. Tomorrow morning I've asked for all the townspeople to gather outside the Claw a bell before lunch so I can properly introduce myself to them and tell them what I expect will happen here in the future. One thing I can say is that it isn't going to stay a sleepy end-of-nowhere town for very much longer. I'll have to decide what to do with those who aren't going to like the changes. I've explained what Masters Bezan and Yarling are going to be doing so I guess, Jaxen, it's time to pack up the -"

Garia's last words were cut off as a huge head thrust itself into the circle, scattering those nearest.

Beth. Now how do I know that?

"Beth," she said to the dranakh, startling the wagoneers. "We're about to pack up camp and move to a big building at the lower end of town. Will you call your friends? We'll be moving the wagons. There's a stable where you can have some shelter and somewhere dry to sleep."

The dranakh gave a single bleat, turned and ambled off into the scrub behind the buildings.

"Milady," Jaxen asked her, "is there something you know of dranakh that we do not?"

"Not really," she replied. "Just a hunch, is all."

"Right," Jaxen said, turning and clapping his hands. "Let's get this camp packed up for the move. Come on, all of you! As you're all here, you can all help."

Just as everything was secure the four dranakh reappeared and backed themselves between the wagon shafts. The wagoneers fixed the harness and the procession rattled down the street to their new home. Garia led the way through the carriage arch into the courtyard.

"Let me see this kitchen you spoke of," Sukhana said. "Is that it?"

She strode off and Garia turned to Merizel. "Oh, dear. If you can remember what happened in Dekarran I know what's coming. That place hasn't been touched for two years or so."

"Oh, really?" Merizel said. She smiled. "I know where the soap is," she said, looking back for the chuck wagon.

Sukhana came out of the kitchen and went straight into the bath house before emerging again and walking across the courtyard to join them.

"Huh! At least this time I can't blame the conditions on ignorant warehouse managers. Still, it don't look too bad, with a little cleaning up -" She stared at Garia. "I don't suppose you'll have time to help, will you? You did good the other time but you're going to be too busy."

"Ah, I'm sorry, Sookie. Like I said, I have letters to write. Merry has some too, so she won't be able to help either. Why don't you go and find Master Brydas? I think he's in the common room at the moment. The townspeople seem eager to help right now, you might get some assistance from them."

"As you say, milady. There's another thing. How am I supposed to cook? I can use our pots and such but there's no wood for the fire, just a few bundles of kindling."

"You'll use coal like everyone else does, Sookie. Master Brydas will show you how that works as well."

"That filthy black stuff? Don't seem natural. Very well, milady, where did you say this Brydas was?"

~o~O~o~

Keren joined Garia at the foot of the women's stair just before they retired for the night.

"I was wrong," she said immediately. "What I did this morning was stupid. I could have gotten you killed."

"But you didn't," he replied, "and for all the reasons you said then. I don't think either of us was in any real danger once you entered the room. And... I love you all the more for it."

"Oh, Keren, this is crazy. It's just as well we are too busy to think about... that because I think I'd just go mad. I know what I want and I know what you want and the whole world is conspiring to keep us apart. How fair is that?"

"But we're not apart, are we?" he said softly. "We're stuck together and somehow that makes it seem worse. You are right but I can see no answer to our problem."

She put her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest. In the almost-darkness few could have made them out. At a respectful distance Jenet and Brazan stood, keeping watch on the pair but not interfering.

"I know what answer I'd like," she muttered.

"Tell me," he said, trying to change the subject, "what do you think of Blackstone now? It seems you have stolen their hearts as you have stolen those of the palace guard."

"It just gets worse and worse," she said. "It was hard enough to come to terms with having Jenet follow me everywhere but then there was Merizel and Bursila and now I have my own armsmen as well! I'm not sure I can cope with an entire town on top of that."

"Just think how I feel," he said. "In time I'll have a whole country to look after! It seems to me you adjust well to your new responsibilities. There are many who will not have started so well as you at such a task. You have the knack of command, milady."

"So you tell me. Well, I don't feel like I do. There's very little I feel certain about but one thing I am certain of is you."

She looked up at him and he naturally tilted his head down. Their lips met and they were once again lost. Eventually they broke apart.

"Oh, Keren. Whatever are we going to do?"

up
396 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

SEE...

YAH!! I've got my SEE fix!!! Thanks Penny!!

Definitely glad to see the

Definitely glad to see the next installment. It makes me wish that there was a way to give Penny more time to write :) (That way we could see more of State as well as Somewhere Else)

Thanks!

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

More time to write

I've spent the last week fighting to replace a failing disk - without losing the contents, of course. That's why things have been a little sluggish lately.

Now, with some kind of obscure religious festival approaching, my time might be taken with other things. I'll just have to plug away as and when I can.

Penny

I wish I could assist, but I

I wish I could assist, but I suspect the distance between us is such that shipping would be rather exorbitant.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Thanks, but

Thanks, but I have no problem doing the necessary on my own.

The big problems are firstly waiting for the courier to bring the new disks and secondly copying files tediously from one disk to another. 1TB takes a while, especially when half of it is on an error-spattered disk. (I have been using ddrescue.)

Penny

Having used DD (and it's

Having used DD (and it's sub-variants, such as ddrescue) in the past, I really do hope you have a second machine you can do the work on. Oh - if you have ice packs, that sometimes helps.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I hope they will keep

I hope they will keep steadfast in their need to be with each other. I would hope that in discovering they love each other they become strong enough to break from tradition.

I think if Keren were to tell his parents that he'd rather relinquish his right to the throne so he could be with Garia than rule with someone he doesn't love, they would rethink the rules. Technically Garia is originally from outside Polarand and surely that would make her eligible and if not the King surely has the power to make her eligible.

Did the King give her the Barony to get her away from the Prince or closer, I can't see him wanting Garia too far from Polarand central for too long as she brings too many important things to them. People either love Garia or hate her, more love than hate. So maybe if the people love her they won't object to her becoming Queen or may even encourage it.

Either way I love this story, I just wish new chapters were posted more often, thanks for sharing.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Eligibility

Theoretically she's not noble-born so she can't qualify. Robanar would rather have someone who can give him an alliance than someone who has no ties to a nearby country. At least, that's how it has always happened so far.

Needless to say, that might have to change soon.

Penny

Yeah

Yes, what will they do?
This keeps more and more interesting and I suppose that there is a huge reason why a certain character didn`t tell who sent him to Blackstone.

My Goodness!

I rarely read a story as capivating and emotionally involving as this one. There is the budding romance between the youngsters. All this is happening on a tableau that is scenic, mostly warm, and quite soggy at times.

I can hear the wedding bells now, and with great anticipation.

Mind reading draft animals? Wow !

After thinking about the days they have travelled, I would say that they can't be much more than 100 miles from the palace. It would be an easy flight if someone were able to tame and train some of the flying dragons? No, wait, this is not Pern. And, I am most certain this is not Pandora!

:) Just thinkin'

Gwendolyn

You know what they say

"Keep out of the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

About 100 miles or so, yes. Don't forget that pre-industrialization a traveler would be lucky to make 20 miles a day on Earth. My travelers journeys so far have been slightly more elastic than that because I'm too lazy to draw a proper map.

We haven't seen the last of ptuvils...

Penny

As I recall, a pre-industrial

As I recall, a pre-industrial army would make about 10 miles a day - a big chunk of the day is spent in setup and teardown. Your standard person on foot would be 20 a day. Wagoneers would likely split the difference, depending on the speed of the dranakhs. Horseback would be 40. It could be faster, but you'd wear your animals out quickly, so you wouldn't want to do for more than a day or so.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Journey Speeds

Just so. Those are about the rates I used, bearing in mind I made the roads a reasonable surface to travel on. They were also in no hurry, so why wear everybody out? So long as you can make the next town or the next overnight road house, everyone is happy.

The Messenger Riders would have stations to change mounts a la Pony Express. I've more or less hinted at that with Garia's instructions to Bezan.

Penny

Garia, as usual...

Has won over more people. Hopefully Keren's parents will see that she would make an outstanding queen. But that is to be decided later. She has already done wonders in Blackstone so that might help.

Maggie

Oh my...

It's going to rapidly become apparent to the entire town that Garia and Keren are a perfect match for each other - and given Garia's clearly from Somewhere Else Entirely, there's probably not much in the way of tradition standing between them. However, if they did get married, one thing's for certain: it would be unlike pretty much any other marriage in Alaesia!

Meanwhile, she's got a very grateful town, the best group of contractors anyone could wish for (you can bet they won't spend 3/4 of each Bell having a pel break, unlike many on Earth!), dranakh who can understand sequences of commands as well as unvocalised intentions (one of whom may even have communicated their name to Garia), frayen who also understand unvocalised intentions, oh, not forgetting the beginnings of a plan of action.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Contractors

I associate Contractors who take a coffee break every hour that lasts 3/4 of an hour to be Contractors on a Government building contract. Especially road and bridge work. When I worked as a framing carpenter we got one 15 minute break in the morning and one in the afternoon with a 30 minute lunch. And we were pretty diligent about that because while we got paid every week our Boss did not get paid until certain goals were attained and we all wanted him to make a profit because when he did we recieved the benefits as well :) Our Boss would also take us to breakfast at least once a week near whatever worksite we were at before we started work. He even took us to Okemo Mountain to go skiing once, rental and lift tickets on him.

Seeing Garia whup that

scoundrel has certainly given her the clout needed as Baroness of Blackstone as a Defender of her Realm. I doubt that any will doubt her abilities, now

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Telepathic Dranakh...

Well I never would have thought them to be the culprits of telepathy, I was rooting for the Dragons to be responsible, but in each life a little rain must fall (sigh). Now your really moving the story forward, and I for one sing your praise at the pace as well as the content of your writing, thank you Penny

Draflow

Dranakh...

I have had the suspicion that Dranakh were at least telepathic with each other since the first time they were described back in the beginning. This shows that they are telepathic with humans and probably with their cousins the Frayen. Not that I think that Frayen are also telepathic as well. I do think that they are more intelligent than the people of Anmar think.

hugggggggs

Just want you to know that i do enjoy your writing. My only problem is my fear that you won't continue this series and the fact i gotta wait another week for the next installment. Love your writing and hope that i get to enjoy it for many years to come. YOUR GREAT HON.
Brandie

We do not

give animals nearly enough credit that they deserve! Once an animal knows their master or rather their friends they will usually do anything they can to help or to protect us!

Anyway, I surely do hope that Garia and Keren do eventually marry. :} They are definitely mad for each other!

Vivien

Drunk at the bar

I'm like a drunk at the bar when he finishes a drink. I pant awaiting the next serving. Looking for the next installment is getting to be a hobby.

Dranakh remind me of a small elephant like creature...

in terms of their intelligence, perhaps even more. And if they have a level of telepathy?

WHOA MOMMA! With kind treatment Parland has an incredibly effective draft/guard animal at their service. Yet no one else ever suspected this? A HUGE advantage over rival kingdoms if humanly exploited.

As to Garia and Keren.

Let's see, beyond being the greatest agent for positive change in Parland's history she has now saved the crown price at the potential risk of her own life.

She is turning her minor barony in to a future economic powerhouse. A future that I suspect will come even sooner than Garia estimated.

AND they are madly besotted with each other, work together like a well oiled machine.

How does the saying go, "it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.."?

Once they have the mess in Blackstone well in hand and the necessary plans in place and underway to upgrade the roads, communication etc between Blackstone and the rest of Parland proper, I'd say they quietly ,marry but IN PUBLIC and she gets pregnant.

A visibly pregnant daughter-in-law, IE a possible heir to the prince *under construction*

-- snicker --

would be hard to ...dismiss.

-- grin --

I too see this trip as a test by the king and queen. To see if their love is so strong they would risk breaking convention AND a test to see if they can restrain themselves within reason.

Also it might be a ploy to buy time for Robinar, the queen and their most trusted advisors to find a suitable loophole in the accepted rules of succession and royal marriage.

There MUST be a way. The two would-be lovers are just shy of ripping each other's clothes off and *going at it* in the middle of the street at high noon on a parade float!

Her introducing herself to her *people* and at a time minimizing any inconvenience to the farmers and other working folks is bound to earn their respect. And once the out of towners learn what she has done to free them from tyranny AND they see how the crown prince and her look at each other....

You know, when she was asked what could Parland possibly need all that huge increase in steel production for.. I'd say one of the first priorities would be a steel wire telegraph line and a rail way, even a drankh pulled railway. And before that, mining tools, hinges/and other key parts of canal lock technology if a canal would be quicker and easier to build to get the coal to where it will be needed and later demanded.

That would ease the difficulties of shipping the coal and the supplies back and forth.

Gravity railways were quite common at one time and I assume the coal laden wagons would be much heavier but traveling down hill compared to the supply wagons returning.

I believe early telegraph wires were steel or was it steel with copper. Until copper can be electrically refined it is quite brittle and weak and cannot be strung a great distance without additional support. Steel is an inferior conductor but way stronger and ductile.

I loved how the grateful towns people are by taking Garia at her word and acting not just reacting to what she suggests. Their repairing the old inn on their own initiative shows they are industrious and talented.

She has the core of a solid workforce for the mines and numerous public works projects -- IE the inn, road side way house and so on.

Hum, could Blackstone not only be this coming industrial giant but perhaps among the first of Parkland's "technical and trade school" centers along with her similar reorganization and revitalization of the trades and trade guilds in the capitol and of the questors as the possible founders of a university system? Might also be a good place to start up universal education for children AND adults.

She tells Keren she is not ready/comfortable being a leader yet he recognized at once that is exactly what she is doing in Blackstone, leading, inspiring, directing the community to unleash it's potential. She is a born leader, fears or not. Her brave unhesitating defense of Keren in the dorm is proof of her decisiveness. If these are not the qualities of a queen ... what are? Hell she has the qualities to be a ruling empress!

Empress Garia the First?

Garia, Warrior Princess?

-- snicker --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

John, I like your analysis.

I think the Drankhs are far more important than anyone thinks.

Copper works better as an

Copper works better as an alloy. Pure copper isn't as ductile as you'd want. (I was looking at doing some casting, and found out that pure copper is very hard to work with)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Like the two mice in The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

The Drankh's are the 3 dimentional projection of vast pan dimentional beings?

-- snicker --

But I agree with other this insight to their nature will have a profound effect on the planet.

Hum, are they observors for the advanced alliens behind all this world hopping or what?

Sorry, my speculation lobe just exploded.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Vast, Pan-dimensional Beings

Sorry, those belong firmly to Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I knew a few would jump to that conclusion eventually, but alas it ain't so.

What's going on there may be explained at a later date.

Penny

Actually, Stephen Goldin has

Actually, Stephen Goldin has pan dimensional beings in his Jade Darcy books, and I've seen the concept of a five dimensional being in our four dimensional space being illustrated by a cross section in other stories. (Heck, even Buck Godot has mention of things like that)

(Yes, I did say four dimensions. Height, Width, Depth, and Time. We have four axis of motion. )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Somewhere Else........

I apologize for seldom commenting about your story. At least I hit the "good story" button when I read.

There are a number of stories here (including yours, by the way) that whenever I see them in the list I'm all over them like ants on honey. If time travel existed, I'd quickly rush to the future and download all your chapters of S.E.E. (I like that abbreviation - Thank you, Blossom) then sit back and peruse them to my heart's content. Garia just seems to get in deeper and deeper doesn't she? Fortunately she is up to the task. Especially when someone threatens her boyfriend.

Great story, Penny.

Anesidora

Telepathic Critters

terrynaut's picture

This is so cool and good and fun and wonderful.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Telepathy

Well, I'm not so sure it is telepathy. Certain evidence has been presented, sure, but there are a number of ways (some involving various forms of psi) which might explain the perceived results.

Penny

PSI would cover telepathy,

PSI would cover telepathy, but I'd be more inclinded to go for straight empathy (sensitivity to that sort of thing has been somewhat proven in how animals will go to people that aren't doing well/stressed), pheremones, and just plain being smarter than suspected. Maybe they're the dophins of Palarand. (Gods, that sounds like a Anne McCaffrey rip-off, but I think everyone will know what I mean)

Despite ptuvil being big, I'd bet that a dranakh could stomp one flat if it was caught on the ground.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Ptuvil vs Dranakh

God, can you just see it? Where's Arnie when you need him?

;)

The ptuvil has been analyzed by Garia after her first encounter. I'm not going to say much more here except that the body is seemingly about the same size as a dranakh but with longer neck and tail, plus wings.

The big difference is that a dranakh is strictly a herbivore who you're not going to like when it gets angry while a ptuvil is a predator with some seriously big, shiny teeth and claws.

No, I'm not going to call that contest.

No, I don't want to know how a ptuvil cleans it's teeth.

Penny

Lighter bones - square cube

Lighter bones - square cube does get involved during animal flight. So the dranakh would have an advantage of sheer bulk.

Large predators often have small birds that pick the teeth, much like the fish that do the same for ocean predators. (It's funny seeing a gator with a bird sitting in its mouth)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Miners

I fore see a conflict in the future. What happens when an influx of new people like the rough and tumble miners enter this sleepy village? A new sheriff needs to be elected in the nebulus future. The new people to come are they hired first or will they wander in looking for work? Housing? Garia's troop overwhelmed the towns capacity. The Claw isn't defenseable so a fort or castle needs to come about. Workers to build it all, sawmills, quarries. Eventually a full time council and mayor. Do you use a grid pattern as the open plains use or follow the hills for roads?

What a headache.

Huggles

Chelle_MM

Planning

That's why Bezan, the mason, and Yarling, the miner, were seconded by their guilds to assist. Garia has already stated that she isn't going to allow unrestricted development in the area.

As to the hiring/firing etc I'm not yet sure how this happens in Palarand. Don't worry too much about it. I'm sure most will be handled with some judicious hand-waving by the author :)

Penny

60% handwavium, 38% balonium,

60% handwavium, 38% balonium, with a 2% inspiratum binder. That's the best mix for a reliable aggregate solution.

I wouldn't be so worried about requiring a fortress, personally. They'd know about someone coming a long time ahead (hard to move an army through the hills); the only thing worth trying to steal would be money - and that's both movable and hideable. Sheep don't steal well, and could you see someone trying to run away with coal? (I expect that she'd be re-importing sheep, if at all possible. That's a food supply and cloth supply, and both will be needed - even if sheep are almost the dumbest animal on the face of the earth. I've known a sheep rancher, and they apparently sometimes just drop dead for no reason whatsoever. )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Yeah, but

What about an invasion? Isn't this coal area near the country's border. We already know there is some group trying to stop Garia. Let the mines get going, invade and kill everybody they can, including Garia if possible. Then set the coal mines on fire and leave. I remember reading that some coal mines in the Appalachians having been burning for decades. So Garia would need a defensible point to retreat to.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It's actually a bit harder to

It's actually a bit harder to just 'set fire' to a coal seam. That's why there's only been one known one.

Centralia, Pennsylvania

The two main theories for the fire both involve extremely hot stuff being put in close proximity to a seam near open air for a reasonably long period of time - in the town dump. (Both theories suggest that the clay barrier between the seam and the air wasn't properly maintained)

If it was _easy_, every time there was a mine explosion, you'd set fire to the entire mine.

For what it's worth, my mother is from West Virginia; we weren't a coal family, but knew coal families. I grew up with some stories about the area. I don't recall a single story about mine fires other than 'BOOM!'.

I can also tell you that stoking the furnace could be fun, but it was also FILTHY work. The coal truck came once a month, and dumped coal down the chute into the bin in the basement. (You didn't go in the basement for a while until the dust settled, even though the bin was behind a door). When you stoked the furnace, you popped open the furnace, moved things around (pulled out clinkers if necessary), closed the door, got a shovelful of coal, opened the door, and started tossing it in. You limited the amount of time you had the door open because of the draft. (I'm going off of 30 year old memories, because they replaced the coal furnace when I was... 11? 12? By age 14 it was gone)

I'm actually surprised that the coal is still going. I'd suspect, because there isn't much information in the article I read, that the sinkholes opening up is what keeps providing oxygen to re-stoke the burn.

Sounds like a great opportunity for geothermal energy! :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Borders

We're not far in Blackstone from the northern edge of the mountainous area in which the story is set. To the north, it has been mentioned, is a wide area of grassland across which one or two trade routes lead. It is not mentioned if those grasslands are heavily peopled but I would rather suspect not.

I would guess from the presence of trade routes at all that should there be a population, probably nomadic, they won't be too warlike.

Yod, incidentally, is far to the southwest, upriver along the Rift Valley which holds most of the more advanced countries within this part of Alaesia. They're not going to be pouring in hordes over the mountains around Blackstone.

Penny

Not sheep!

These people have Pakh, which are probably straight copies of Alpaca. These are basically sheep-like animals except they have (i) longer necks (ii) more brains and (iii) are much prettier. They give wool and meat much the same as sheep.

Penny

Much prettier? Man, I want

Much prettier? Man, I want some of what you're smoking :)

Sorry about the pakh vs sheep. I got sidetracked with the 'flocks' and 'wool'.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I wonder if the dranakh

... might be able to figure out if there is a Yod spy among the wagoneers from Dekarran? Or even one of the guildsmen.

Also I wonder what kind of coal is present in Blackstone. For metallurgy, anthracite I understand would be great.

Kim

When starting out, even

When starting out, even bituminous coal is fine. It'll take experimentation for them to determine what works best for them; if they put water filters into their smokestacks, they can even use a lot of the contaminants. (suphurous compounds are very useful. Vulcanisation, anyone? )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

the pain, oh the pain

I hate waiting for a new episode of my favorite story. It seems like months since the last installment and i know it is just over a week but who's counting, lol. Seriously i have read the last episode three times now. Can't wait. You are a really great writer. Huggggggggggs
Brandie

Yeah, I know

What can I say? I don't even have the excuse of a full-time job to account for the hours I ought to be writing.

Let's just say that there are other things happening here at chez Penny. Some are health-based, some are computer-related, some are seasonal.

I have... let's see... 4800 words written of chapter 69 as of this minute. This one isn't easy to write, unlike some of the more recent ones, because it doesn't just focus on a single event - like the caravan rolling into town and what happened to it - but covers a whole day during which a lot of little (but mostly significant) things occur.

Trying to mold that into shape requires some careful tweaking so that people end up where my muse needs them to be.

Chapter 70 is likely as bad: that will probably be The Trial. Since that obscure religious festival will be on us by that time, I don't expect to have that one out until the new year.

Penny

Vhat?

Ees not our Chreestmas Preesante?

....
It takes what it takes. From what little you've said, it might be easier to just sit down and write straight through - even the trial, if need be - and then go back and check the niggling details.

Besides, it might be fun for some of those niggling details to come out _in_ the trial itself.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Telepathy Is Redundant

joannebarbarella's picture

The dranakh just are intelligent enough to understand a combination of words, empathy and the intentions of sympathetic humans by a set of senses that are not necessarily exactly mirrored by human senses. If telepathy was the main ingredient they wouldn't need to go off and summon their kin to the wagons. They would just think them to the shafts without moving.

In our world dogs can do the same. It is also well-known that birds have magnetic senses that can allow them to migrate to specific places over long distances, so no surprise that Palarand fauna can do something similar albeit different, but Garia seems to be the first to recognise it as a useful and usable trait,

Joanne

Elevation

There has to be a way for them to be together.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Won their hearts

Jamie Lee's picture

Getting rid of the puke has won the hearts of the townspeople, something Garia needed to do if she was going to make changes.

That the townspeople are swarming over the new headquarters, repairing here and there, shows how much they appreciate what Garia and Keren have done.

The guildmen are having a hard time grasping the increase of people that will be coming and going from Blackstone. Even rebuilding that out of the way rest stop to handle the number Garia envision is hard to believe.

At the palace, raging hormones might have been the reason Garia and Keren were attracted to each other. But since they've been on the road it is now clear that hormones play no part in the love they have for each other. Yet they both know, or think they know, they can't be together according to what they've been told. But there is no law written in stone which says they can't be together, just tradition. And tradition has already started to be thrown out the window.

Others have feelings too.

Tradition

Is a wonderful guide, so long as you don't let it become a straight jacket!!!

Now you’ve done it

Fiddler on the Roof is now going through my head!

"Wake up Tevye! You're

"Wake up Tevye! You're having a nightmare!"

"It was your mother!"


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.