Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1971

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1971
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

It was Wednesday, and the departure for Danny’s trip drew ever closer. I’d packed his bag three times and finally decided I couldn’t get the life-raft or bicycle in and do the zip up.

I abandoned my self-imposed task leaving mounds of stuff on his bed. Then after feeding Cate I took myself off for a couple of hours, having agreed supervision of my smallest with Jacquie. I dumped my wellingtons in the boot of the car and drove up to the woodland the bank had so kindly purchased as a reserve. Once there I looked at the maps 1:25,000 Ordnance survey and the pictures I’d printed off from Google and spent some time orienting myself. Finally, I donned my boots and my rucksack checking that my camera was in there and charged up.

It was now eleven o’clock and time for me to trudge through the snow and see if my idea was feasible. It wasn’t quite as cold as it had been but the wind still blew from the north and I was glad I’d remembered my gloves.

The first thing I saw were tracks, deer slots, fox and badger together with smaller animal tracks–probably mice and a larger one that could have been weasel hunting them. There were loads of bird tracks as they foraged in the snow presumably for seeds or even small invertebrates.

I saw some movement in the trees and through binoculars watched a flock of assorted tits–yeah the feathered sort–working a small group of trees. Blue tits–well it was cold–great tits, coal tits and what I’m pretty sure were siskin–hmm–too small for greenfinch.

A pair of crows were squawking their heads off as I walked deeper into the wood. I checked my maps, not far now. The architect suggested a site for the study centre near a small pond, I wasn’t sure about it but I had to make a better argument than just not liking it there. The only good thing was that it wasn’t too far into the wood, although there were two lanes that ran through it, both of which would need a four wheel drive to access on most stretches.

I wondered what might be in the pond–possibly newts, frogs even some small fish perhaps as well as invertebrates–dragonfly larvae and so on. It could be useful for encouraging schoolkids to become interested in aquatic life–I used to love it in school growing all sorts of things from pond water with some grass left to soak in it, or from pond mud left to stand overnight in a warm place. I might do that with the girls sometime, Trish has one of those microscopes you can plug into a computer, which might make it easier to view than waiting for a turn to look down a microscope.

I took some photos in every direction noting which view was which. It could work, except they’d have to destroy so many trees, including an oak. I needed to come back when there was no snow around and check for dormouse signs. If there’s any they can’t build it here.

I walked on and found the site I thought would be more useful–no water here to start with–it was closer to the road, albeit a lane rather than the main road. I wondered how close the services were, water and electricity. Gas wouldn’t come near here and would cost a fortune to supply, though electricity would be more expensive to use. Would we need phones? I checked my Blackberry, I had a signal–so if necessary a mobile would work.

I took some photos and marked where I was on the map. It was pretty flat and I thought accessible. We’d need to submit plans and get an outline design done for the building. I suspected it would take at least a year to build, then there was the problem of vandalism and petty theft in a building which most nights could be empty. Security would need to be very good to protect the equipment, computers and so on–oh we’d need broadband for that, so landline phones would be worth installing. I’d go for fibre-optics if possible–it isn’t worth stealing for scrap value.

I stood and ate an apple when I heard a noise just a few yards away, a badger trundled across in front of me. I grabbed my camera but it was too late, it had moved behind some trees. I picked up my apple and began to eat again and a great spotted woodpecker flew past saw me and started squawking at me. Then a pair of jays took up the call and boy, can they make a noise?

Any pretensions I had about being able to move about woodland quietly were shattered as I was accompanied by the cacophony of bird alarm calls all the way back to the car. Don’t the stupid creatures realise I’m on their side? Obviously not. I was glad I’d worn my Barbour and a hat because the drips from the trees were a real nuisance and my coat was quite wet.

It was about one o’clock when I got back to the car and I’d enjoyed my walk in the woods. I stopped at a service station a mile or so down the road and bought a tuna salad roll and a coffee–that took care of lunch.

I listened to the radio–Classic fm, on my drive back feeling relaxed and warm as the air conditioning in the Jaguar brought the temperature up to the twenty two degrees I set for it. It was too good to last, isn’t it always?

When I happened on the scene, I found a group of people and several cars obviously attracted by something. A bicycle lay in the road and my tummy flipped. I had a first aid kit in the car plus some experience of helping in emergencies and not just ones I cause. I pulled up at the side of the road and grabbing the case with its bandages and Savlon cream, walked quickly to the incident.

A cyclist was sprawled in the gutter, there was some blood and two people trying to help him. A small group of bystanders just stood and watched. I walked up to the casualty, clad in rather torn lycra. The bike was a Trek, a race type with carbon frame–alas broken. I hoped the rider was less damaged.

“Anyone called an ambulance?” I asked.

“Can’t get a signal,” was the response I got. I checked my phone–it was in a flat spot and nothing registered for me either. “How bad is he hurt?”

“She–it’s a woman.”

Images of Billie came flooding back and I strove to push them from my mind–I needed to help here. I walked closer to the casualty. Someone had placed a travel rug over her. I knelt down alongside her–she looked very sick.

“Have you got a mobile?” I asked a man who was standing doing nothing.

“Yeah, can’t get a signal.”

“Which is your car?”

“The red Corsa.”

“Right, can you go and find help, ask for ambulance and police. What happened?”

“Someone in a Polo hit her off and drove off.”

“Right, I’ll stay with her, you get help–go now–she’s in severe shock.”

“Yeah–okay.” He reluctantly went back to his car and drove off not entirely happy with my taking control.

“Okay, sweetheart,” I addressed the casualty, “My name’s Cathy and I’m going to stay with you until the professionals arrive.” I picked up her grazed hand–she was getting cold. In the boot of my car, I’ve got a travel rug–can you bring it?” I asked a woman who was just watching.

“Where does it hurt?” I asked her.

“I can’t feel anything,” she said in very quiet voice. It confirmed my own suspicions, she’d broken her neck. Was the energy going to help her in front of so many witnesses? I’d soon find out.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It is amazing how many drivers

... consider bike riders subhuman. People who ride in cars are no better as some will throw things at you.

Hope she makes it.

Kim

Lawless People

"It is amazing how many drivers consider bike riders subhuman. People who ride in cars are no better as some will throw things at you."

There's more than enough poor behavior to go around among both automobile operators and bicyclists. The veneer of civilization is, sadly, quite thin.

Far to many bicyclists don't obey the vehicle and traffic code. They don't signal their turns, ignore stop signs/red lights, and fail to stay close to the road's edge.

As for a driver throwing objects at bicyclists, that's assault of some kind and needs punishment by the law courts. Leaving the scene of an accident, as described in the story, is highly illegal. I hope that driver gets caught and punished severely.

Let's all act like responsible adults, at least occasionally.

G/R

Sub-humans.

Sadly I must agree with guest reader about about SOME of his observations but I have to differ on others.

Guest Reader is correct to say that many cyclists don't obey traffic signals and don'y give enough signals but they are firstly putting themselves at risk and even when they break the lasws they usually don't endager motorists however they do endanger pedestrians but many pedestrians are voluntarily deaf by wearing stupid earphones. As to motorists well, much the same could be said about the lawlessness of many motorists. Just wait at a round-about in the UK and watch how many motorists fail to signal their intentions or knowingly choose the wrong approach lane hoping to 'jump the queue, because they have a more powerful car and can accelerate past the head of the queue, often endagering both cycles and motor-cycles who are ahead of them on the 'near-side' or in a cycle box.

Sub-humans are to be found all over.

As to staying close to the edge of the road; this can be almost an act of suicide in the UK. Road surfaces have deteriorated appalingly since the UK joined the third world and road-maintenance has gone beyond the fiscal reach of the nation. I cycle some two to four hundred miles per week (I'm retired now.) but I have to ride defensively, with the agility of a monkey and with the forsight of a Hebrew Prophet.

As to cycling near the edge of the road; consider these factors.

It is deadly to ride between the tyre ruts of superheavyweight goods vehicles and the edge of the road because the tarmac is invariably torn up and the drainage grids are all too frequently dislodged leaving huge pot-holes around them. Such square, sharp edged holes can trash a bike and kill a rider. Often the heavy cast drain covers have been stolen by scrap thieves leaving a fatal mantrap for bikes, motorbikes and horses.

No cyclist in his right mind, cycles close to the edge of the road unless he/she want's to become invisible and get side-swiped by any of the many careless, selfish drivers that have some how passed their driving tests. The other danger is the SMIDSY moron pulling out without looking properly down the edges of parked cars where approaching cylsists are too easily hidden if they ride close to the parked cars and not further out into the highway thus blocking cars trying to pass.

(SMIDSY) Stands for Sorry mate, I didn't see you. It has become a byword amongst cyclists in UK.

Personally (And many of my fellow cyclists will agree with this!) I believe every new motorists, on passing the driving test, should compulsarily be made to ride a bike for at least a year and complete at least 2500 miles as determined by a recognised cycle club membership. It would at least alert some of the considerate individuals to the vulnerability of and dangers to cyclists.
As to the sub-human individuals; well I'm afraid there's little that can be done about those whether they are on two wheels or four.

Still lovin' it.

Nice chapter Ang.

Sorry about the rant, just got back after an early-morning confrontation with a four-wheeled version of the sub-humans. It was the usual SMIDSY. (The sun was in my eyes,) You'll know exactly what I am talking about.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

cyclists

Maddy Bell's picture

should not ride 'in the side of the road'. That is the voice of a car driver, you should ride in the carriageway @ 1m from the edge, other traffic will then need to manouevre around you and you will not be making potentially dangerous moves to avoid potholes, drains etc that litter 'the side of the road'.

In the UK the law states the following priority on the road, pedestrians, horses, bicycles and lastly motorised traffic. The theory goes that the softer the target the more care other traffic should take. (clearly this doesn't apply if you are stupid enough to walk in front of a bus, run the lights etc. So if i, on a bike i hit a walker i'm at fault (theoretically)- the Germans have it right, if you are in collision with any lower group you are always at fault unless proved otherwise.

By the bike i'd guess this woman is a good rider and would have been riding sensibly, lets hope it isn't a bad prognosis after the blue light. Hmm wouldn't mind betting its one of our gold medal winning women - Ang you dare!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

cyclists

Maddy Bell's picture

should not ride 'in the side of the road'. That is the voice of a car driver, you should ride in the carriageway @ 1m from the edge, other traffic will then need to manouevre around you and you will not be making potentially dangerous moves to avoid potholes, drains etc that litter 'the side of the road'.

In the UK the law states the following priority on the road, pedestrians, horses, bicycles and lastly motorised traffic. The theory goes that the softer the target the more care other traffic should take. (clearly this doesn't apply if you are stupid enough to walk in front of a bus, run the lights etc. So if i, on a bike i hit a walker i'm at fault (theoretically)- the Germans have it right, if you are in collision with any lower group you are always at fault unless proved otherwise.

By the bike i'd guess this woman is a good rider and would have been riding sensibly, lets hope it isn't a bad prognosis after the blue light. Hmm wouldn't mind betting its one of our gold medal winning women - Ang you dare!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Lawless people"

"Far to many bicyclists don't obey the vehicle and traffic code. They don't signal their turns, ignore stop signs/red lights, and fail to stay close to the road's edge"

The bit about riding close to the edge has been covered. I am puzzled as to why you think they should. The Highway Code, in the UK, shows how a car should pass a cyclist, by moving to the other lane. Never happens.

The reply to the rest is a simple one: in the UK alone there are more car drivers who are uninsured, untaxed, unregistered and unlicensed than there are regular cyclists. One recent example from my own riding:

I was abused by a car driver for being in the middle of the road and not checking behind. At the time, I was turning right. In his world, I should move to my left, get off the bike and cross the road on foot. In his world, I should be riding "close to the road's edge" so that he could skim past me an inch from my elbow despite the oncoming traffic. In his world, he was perfectly justified in the way he passed me on my left, while shouting, by driving with two wheels on the footpath with his eyes turned to his right.

One incident. One day. Things like that happen to most cyclists every day.

Will the energy help?

I think so but Cathy is going to need to find a way to use it without those present knowing what she is doing and how she is doing it. I can see Cathy beginning the healing and then going with the young girl to the hospital. She can continue healing on the way and after arrival at the hospital. The next episode should be really interesting.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Not a story-line ...

... I'll savour - a bit too close to home for comfort. Without the blue light it's not much fun. Doesn't have to be a car - a cat is just as effective.

Robi

I don't know...

Didn't seem like Cathy told anyone where she was headed.. that can be "dangerous! (As the other lady on the road can attest.

I wonder where you're taking this one.

Thanks,
Annette

Will Cathy have a special

bond with the rider since both wer knocked off of their bikes? Who did it to the biker?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I hope Cathy can do something...

tragic when she can't help. Certanly tragic for the victim but Cathy has seen enough pain and suffering and so wants to help.

Nice if somehow the energy could be invisible. If the girl has a broken spine, need to get help to her right now.

And I was about to comment on the blue tits thing.

Checking out a bike ride.

Oh, joy, this just after I've gotten home from checking out a ride I want to make on the next sunny day; 9 miles one way, with about 900 feet elevation gain in the middle and a place about a mile long with no bike lane at all.

It gives me chills. Who wants to live forever?

Gwendolyn

Good luck Gwen.

I remember Skyping with you about it a couple of days ago.

Bevs X

bev_1.jpg

Every one

Heres hoping that the blue light can save this poor soul from death or permanent paralysis. This may be a chance that this may lead to catharsis for Catherine and the situation with her ability's.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Maybe it was the

energy that directed Cathy to the scene of the accident,Perhaps the woman injured has some part in the future plans of the blue light to play.... Hopefully all will be revealed later today, Because one thing is for certain without help from Cathy and the light her future is looking very bleak indeed.

Kirri

The blue light not only heals

sometimes it eases the pain and fear of dying.

It did for that old couple(?) she once helped and the young girl she tried to heal at a distance but failed. IE sometimes the blue light is a mercy killer.

So is she here to save the woman's life? If so as an influential para or even quadriplegic or to restore her to fully functionality? Or is she there so the woman can pass a critical message onto a loved one before dying?

Ang and Bonzi worked overtime on this one. Happy, mundane and sad/tragic all in one day.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa