Somewhere Else Entirely -86-

Printer-friendly version

Garia has a tricky family problem to sort out when Jasinet's father is found amongst the dead brigands. Then, her mother must be gently questioned to find out who these people were. Later, possible threats to Blackstone must be considered.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

86 - The Widow's Tale


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Garia turned, attempting to keep both Jasinet and her mother in view. Big problem! She had forgotten completely that both her junior maids would be standing there behind her. When Brydas had identified the body with the badly-damaged face as being that of the town's shoemaker, she had forgotten that he was also Jasinet's father.

And that her mother, the wife of the deceased, had beaten Jasinet so badly that Garia had been obliged to levy a stiff fine.

And that Jasinet wanted very little to do with her mother ever again.

The maid took one step forward, hesitantly, looking at Garia for guidance.

"Do what you must," Garia said. "We'll be here when you need us."

Jasinet ran as far as Garia's side and then stopped, because her mother was still facing Garia, Keren and Brydas with anger in her eyes.

"Mistress," Keren said firmly, "we have not traveled the road to Tranidor at all. Your husband likely did not either, whatever he may have told you. Nor did we have any part in his death, though for his part he tried very hard to cause the death of all in our party."

"What say you, Highness?" the woman demanded. "He is dead! How else can it be but by your hand? We sought only to better ourselves, as any must. Is this what Blackstone can expect under the new rule?"

Keren spread his hands wide. "Explain, mistress, if you will, what weapon caused the injury to your husband's face. It is certainly none that we carried with us. This calamity befell him by his own hand, mistress. Our camp was attacked by fourteen or fifteen, we were but twelve. They carried strange instruments with them none had seen before. One such instrument killed Guardsman Thoran outright and injured four others. The other instrument failed and killed those who held it. Your husband was one of those, mistress."

The first sign of uncertainty flickered over the woman's face. She turned her head to look at the ruined face of the man she had been married to.

"But I thought... wild animals, you said."

"While the attack was yet happening, a ptuvil decided to join in," Keren explained. "Strange as it may seem it is the only reason any of us are left alive. The ptuvil did not touch your husband, mistress, he was already dead when it came to us."

"This cannot have been my husband," she said, although there was uncertainty in her tone. "He told me that he was going to Tranidor, as I have related to you. There could be brigands along the road, it is true, but... what you describe is treason, Highness! A guardsman killed? Chorandar would never be party to such matters!"

Jasinet ran round her mother and knelt at the side of her father, examining what remained of his features. She bowed her head, resting her hands on his body. Her mother turned, perhaps to try and remove Jasinet, but thought better of it. Slowly, the full horror of her situation was beginning to unfold on her. She looked up at Garia and Keren.

"What of Perril? Where the father went, so did the son. Where is he? If he is dead, his body is not here."

"We were not able to recover all the bodies, mistress," Keren explained gently. "The ptuvil -"

The woman looked horrified and began to scream, but the scream was cut off as her eyes rolled into her head and she slumped to the ground. Jasinet scrambled up and went to her mother, cradling her head.

"Milady! What..."

"I think she's just fainted, Jasinet," Garia told her. "She'll be all right if we can get her somewhere quiet. What about you?"

Keren called for a healer and some hands to lift the woman.

A distraught Jasinet replied, "Milady, it is too much. Father is dead and Perril is gone." She began weeping over her mother's body.

Two of the men came and lifted Jasinet's mother, carrying her gently into the common room. Jasinet climbed unsteadily to her feet and was clasped by Garia in a gentle embrace. Garia felt that her natural reaction to do so was right, but it still felt odd consoling an older girl.

"Let's go into my office," she suggested. "That way we won't cause any problems when your mother revives. Lanilla, ask someone in the kitchen to make us some pel, please."

Garia led the way into her office and made a reluctant Jasinet sit down. Maids didn't sit down in the presence of their betters but the other girl obviously had more serious matters to worry about. Keren took a look from Garia and made himself scarce, so it was only women in the room to share Jasinet's tragedy and comfort her.

Garia, Merizel, Jenet, Lanilla and Sukhana stayed with Jasinet for nearly half a bell as the young maid began to accept what had happened to her family. Eventually she asked to see her father's body again.

"You are sure? We can delay if you need more time."

"I am sure, milady. I must make sure it is he."

"Did you want to go back to your family? There is only your mother now."

Jasinet gave Garia a brave smile. "I would not, milady. I am sworn to your service and I made my choice then. You are my family now."

Merizel scolded, "She won't go back to her mother, Garia! Not after the beatings she received. She knows that she is in better hands now."

"Even so, the situation has changed, hasn't it? I would release her from her oath if that was what she wanted."

"Milady," Jasinet said, "I could never return to my mother's care, not after how she treated me. An oath is an important thing to make and I intend to keep mine."

"Very well, but I have your mother to think about as well. Let's go outside."

The women gathered at the foot of the shoemaker's body and looked down at it. Jasinet carefully checked it over, recognizing the clothes and footwear but staying away from the ruined face.

"It is he," she said simply. "Milady, how did he die? Did you see it happen?"

"I didn't, I'm afraid," Garia said. "This band of men came down the hill and attacked our camp, but some of us weren't there at the time, we were down by the stream at the bottom. We hid, hoping they wouldn't see us, but that means we didn't properly see what happened. If you really insisted one of the men might have seen your father die and tell you but it was a strange thing, so strange they might not be able to describe it in a way you'd understand."

"As you say, milady. What of Perril? Did he die at the same time?"

"Well, those of us down at the stream were eventually seen and six men chased us along the stream bed. We saw some rocks we hoped to use for cover but they followed us up to them. Just as they charged, the ptuvil came down and flattened the whole lot of them. Some were killed immediately, others had their guts ripped out or had many broken bones. We left them for the ptuvil to finish off, because we wanted to get back to the camp, help the others."

"Ah, I understand, milady. So it is possible that Perril was one of those six, then."

"It's possible, though we didn't recognize anybody." Garia thought. "Do you know what your brother would likely have been wearing? Remember, as far as anyone in the town knew, he would have been traveling to Tranidor."

"I regret, milady, I do not. My mother would know, though."

The women turned as one to look at the door into the common room.

Garia said to Jasinet, "Do you want to come in with us? You can stay away if that would prevent any problems."

Jasinet hesitated. "I'll come, milady, but if I may have leave to depart..."

"Of course you may. Come on, then."

Inside the common room Jasinet's mother was slumped in a chair with arms that Bleskin usually sat in. Standing beside her were two of the healer women who Garia had seen earlier treating the men. They curtseyed as she approached.

"Milady, she is recovering well. We have given her something to quieten her, she has had a great shock." The healer noticed Jasinet and nodded. "Daughter, you have lost your father and brother. Do you wish anything to help you through this time?"

"Thank you no, Mistress Lendra. My Lady and her retinue have given me much comfort. If I have such need in time I will know where to come for it."

"When do you think we can speak to her?" Garia asked the women. "She may be the only person who can help us find out what happened."

"You had best wait until after the evening meal, milady. Such a cruel blow may take some time to accept." The woman eyed Garia. "Milady, I know she bears you no good will. Must you question her? She may be reluctant to offer anything to you."

"It appears that her husband and son were two of those who attacked our camp. We need to find out who sent those men and why at least two men from the town decided to join them. We did not kill either of them. I'm hoping that once she understands that she may be more co-operative."

The healer nodded. "An unpleasant business, milady. To know that there are those in the town who dislike you, that I cannot understand, though I knew that such existed. To take arms against you! It is not surprising that Mistress Sandara is so distraught, to be associated with any such."

"Yes," Garia agreed. "Her whole world has collapsed, hasn't it? Though we dislike each other I'm still responsible for her and for the town so I'll have to tread carefully. But we have to find out who is behind it all."

"As you say, milady. I would suggest that you let her rest for some bells more before speaking to her."

Garia thought. "That's fine. Perhaps I can go and get myself cleaned up while we wait." She turned. "Sookie?"

"Ah, milady." Sukhana looked embarrassed. "We were closeted with Jasinet, so His Highness decided not to waste the abundant hot water..."

"What! You're saying he snuck in before me?"

"Just so, milady. You must needs wait until he has completed his bath."

"Well..!" Garia resigned herself to the inevitable. "I guess he hasn't had a wash any sooner than I have, so I'll let him off this time. Come on, girls," she beckoned to her maids, "let's go upstairs and unpack the bags we took away."

Garia thanked the healers and then went upstairs to spend some time sorting out her clothes. She took the time to select something to wear after her bath, something different this time, something softer, more comfortable to wear while wandering around the Claw. Less than half a bell after reaching her rooms a servant girl came up to tell them that the bath house was now clear.

"Ah, good! Who's going to come in with me? I know Jenet wants to scrub off the dirt of the journey, how about you others?"

"If it please you, milady," Jasinet offered, "We bathed this morning, not knowing when you would return. We will enter with you if you wish, but it will soon be time to prepare for the evening meal so it may be better if we kept ourselves ready."

"Quite right, too. I'm being selfish again, aren't I, dragging you into the tub whether you need it or not. Jenet and I will go, then, by ourselves." Garia smiled. "After all, it's only what we did in the palace. Help us take off these filthy clothes, please."

Garia and Jenet scrubbed themselves clean and then returned to their room where the others helped them dress. Garia wore this time a more formal, long-length gown of her favorite green with wide elbow-length sleeves. The cleaning-up and the fresh clothes combined to lift her mood so that by the time they were ready to descend for the evening meal she was smiling again.

"I meant to ask you two," she said to her two younger maids as they walked down the stairs, "how did you manage to get house colors so quickly? I haven't seen anyone else in the town wearing these greens so I thought there wasn't any suitable cloth available."

"Milady, the reason the cloth was there was because few chose to have any clothes made of it. Now that it is known that these are your colors, no-one will wear these shades without your permission."

Merizel added, "And you saw our two boys this morning, Garia. Their tunics are the same cloth. The colors of the cloths are not exactly the same as that of the palace material but close enough, don't you think?"

"I think it's close enough, Merry, and it will give the local people some sense of ownership, don't you think? But these were paid for, weren't they?"

"No, milady," Jasinet said. "The townswomen consider it a privilege to provide uniforms, especially for those of your people who came from the town."

Garia shook her head. She still had difficulty understanding such a peculiar arrangement as these people seemed to have.

"All right," she said as they reached the yard. "I'll allow them to do that but we'll make sure we pay fairly for whatever else they provide for us. If it's for the town, fine. If it's for my retinue, we pay. Do you think we can make that stick, Merry?"

"I'm not sure, Garia," Merizel said. "The townspeople are very grateful for what you have already done for them and for what is to come. They wish to show you how much they value you. If you insist on paying they may take offence."

"Hmm. We have to find some middle way, I think."

At the entrance to the common room Keren was waiting, scrubbed clean and dressed in a fresh tunic. He smiled appreciatively as he saw how Garia and Merizel were dressed.

"My Ladies." He gave them a wide, florid bow. "If I may conduct you to your table."

Garia smiled. "You old smoothie, you." But she took the proffered arm.

As they entered the common room everybody stood and bowed or curtseyed. They remained standing until Keren, Garia and Merizel had taken their seats. Two remained standing at the far end of the room.

"Oh! I'd forgotten about -"

Garia came to a quick decision and beckoned.

"Captain! If you and your guest would join us at our table tonight."

Bleskin turned and spoke to his companion and then ushered the obviously unwilling shoemaker's wife to the top table. The servants quickly adjusted the settings to accommodate another diner as Bleskin held out a chair for the woman to sit down. Her face was stiff.

"Milady, I do not understand."

"You are here, mistress. We are about to eat. It would be insulting of us to make you leave and return to an empty house." She gestured. "Please. After the shock you had this afternoon there's no reason to make you feel any worse. We may not be friends but we aren't enemies either."

The woman's eyes flicked in Jasinet's direction but then she turned to Garia and nodded. "Thank you, milady. You are gracious. I did not expect -" She looked unhappy. "Milady, I do not understand you."

Garia waved a dismissive hand. "I'm not local, remember. I'm not even from Palarand, originally, although I now call it my home. The customs of the land where I was born are very different than those around here. Just enjoy the meal while you are here."

"Thank you, milady."

Bleskin added, "Milady, I talked with Mistress Sandara this afternoon when she recovered. We have shared, in certain ways, a similar loss and so, I believe, I may have been of some help to her."

Garia realized what Bleskin was telling her and felt grateful. Counselling the bereaved was a difficult task and Bleskin had indeed been there and done that. He probably also had, after many years of service, experience of speaking with families of men killed in action.

"Thank you, captain," she said. "Anything you need, just ask."

The meal was a strange affair. Garia wondered whether the men would be subdued after losing one of their number, but they seemed almost as cheerful as normal. At her own table there was a little small-talk but the topic everyone had in their forethoughts was carefully avoided, especially in front of the shoemaker's wife. Instead a purely artificial conversation was started concerning the rebuilt road house and what that might mean for Blackstone, who would doubtless supply the staff for it.

Garia noticed the absence of the smith. "What happened to Brydas? When did he disappear?"

"Milady," Bleskin replied, "Master Brydas received a message while you were closeted with your maid. He was required immediately at his furnace. I doubt not he will come here again as soon as he is able."

"Oh. Right. Yes, he did say something about steel making." She frowned. "Do you have any idea what he is doing, captain?"

Bleskin shook his head. "Not me, milady. I am not familiar with the arts of the smith." He showed his teeth. "Except, perhaps, where it concerns weapons of war. But I think this time Master Brydas is doing something clever with the coke he has made."

"Ah! That could be interesting."

At the end of the meal most of the men dispersed to their usual evening activities but Garia's table remained seated while the servants cleared away. Everybody knew what had to happen next.

"Mistress Sandara," Keren said across the table, "do you think that you would be able to answer some of our questions, or is it too soon for you? We bear you no ill will for the acts of your husband but we seek to understand what happened. We would know why your husband thought to do what he did, and we need to discover those who organized this plot."

Sandara licked her lips. "Your Highness, I will try and answer whatever you ask. I, too, seek to understand what my husband did -" She stopped and fought back the tears, "- but I do not know how much I can bear."

Keren was gentle. "Mistress, we shall not press you. If we see it is too much for you, then we will stop. But, the questions that must be asked will be asked at another time instead."

She nodded. "I understand, Highness."

"Then, if you would tell us what you know, and what you suspect."

"As you command, Highness. It was the fine, I think, that started it." She turned to Garia. "My Lady, the fine was too much for us to bear, though I cannot fault you for requiring it. But, even though Chorandar was a good shoemaker, there is not the trade in Blackstone for him to earn the kind of coin the fine demanded. We have some wealth, it is true, but only in jewelry and valuables, which meant that he must needs travel to Tranidor to sell something. My Lady, we doubted whether he had enough days to travel to the town, conduct what business he must and return in due time."

Garia nodded. "I did not know if you had that kind of money in your possession, mistress. I didn't set the fine, Master Jepp did. If you had come and made a case, we could probably have made some arrangement."

"As you say, My Lady, but we did not know that. A chance meeting with one of the men from the mining camp offered a way to pay what was owed by means of a loan. You must understand, My Lady, that as tradesmen we do not approve of taking loans ourselves, even as we offer them to customers from time to time. But time was short and we saw the gold in the man's hand. He only had ten crowns, he said, but he was leaving for Tranidor in the morning and could return with more if that would help us out."

Keren remarked, "One of the oldest tricks, I believe. Did he demand something in exchange, then?"

"Not then, Highness. At least nothing that Chorandar ever told me. I was not privy to all their conversations."

"So, what happened? Did this man return with more coin?"

"Aye, Highness. That was the day before yesterday, when he came back with his empty wagon from Tranidor. He produced the rest of the coin and I brought it right away to pay the fine. Master Jepp returned my necklace and even wrote out a receipt for me." She sighed. "But the lending needed to be repaid, so my husband said that he would take some valuables to Tranidor to sell. It seemed easier to do it then, since there was no longer any hurry to travel back. He could also bring back certain supplies needed for his business."

"When did he decide to make this trip?" Garia asked sharply. "Before or after he met this man from the miner's camp the second time?"

The woman's eyes lost focus for a moment. "Ah, My Lady, I did not think... it was afterwards! Is that important?"

"I think so, mistress. I am beginning to think that this man from the camp you speak of might have been the organizer of what happened. His wagon passed by the road house earlier that day and one of the men from there - a woodcutter - subsequently disappeared. So, you thought your husband was going to Tranidor? I assume he packed up as though he was going to do that. Do you remember anything that might have seemed odd?"

The woman shook her head. "No, My Lady. He had his usual traveling gear and his saddle-bags were packed as usual. That wouldn't have been the first time he rode to Tranidor like that, though once the new Tax Assessor came of course no-one left the town. No, everything seemed normal to me. We bade each other farewell and he and -"

She broke off with a sob, unable to continue. Bleskin put his arm round her and spoke to her quietly. A goblet of water was placed in front of her and the rest waited patiently while she recovered.

"Mistress?" Keren asked. "Do you wish to stop?"

"No, Highness. I am seeing how blind I was to what was happening. It is painful but I would continue a while."

"As you wish, mistress. You had remembered your son, I think."

"Aye, Highness."

"How do you think he fits this business, or is he an innocent, do you think?"

"I am no longer sure, Highness. I would like to believe he is innocent, but perhaps he is no more innocent than Chorandar was."

"I take your meaning, mistress." Keren leaned forward. "I believe that your husband harbored some resentment at the treatment he received from Lady Garia, and that your son was of like mind. Do you agree with that?"

"Aye, Highness," she replied miserably. "You have the right of it."

"But I also believe that he was duped into what he did, by a man who had words to convince him, to fan the flames of his resentment. And the son followed the father willingly. I do not believe that either of them really understood what they would be asked to do, but once they had passed a certain point there was no hope for them but that they must continue, with an enterprise that would almost certainly be considered treason."

"As you say, Highness."

She had begun to come to terms with the actions of husband and son, but to hear the blunt words spoken was still a shock. She grabbed the goblet and had another gulp. When she had recovered she looked at Keren.

"Highness, I have the body of my husband. Do you know what has happened to my son?"

Keren's expression was grim. "Mistress, if your son is not among those we brought back then he must have been taken by the ptuvil. We were chased by six of those who attacked and it was only by chance that we found the shelter of some rocks when the great beast descended. Some of our pursuers were killed outright, all were fatally injured. We did not stay to attend those yet alive, since the beast could have returned and finished us as well."

Garia added, "We didn't know anyone who attacked us, mistress. It was all too quick and we were busy defending ourselves. We don't know if any of those might have been your son, I'm sorry. Some of those who chased us were youngish, but..." She had an idea. "What was your son wearing? Did he have clothing we might recognize?"

""My Lady, when he departed he was wearing a dark blue tunic and gray tights, his normal traveling wear. I don't remember if he had his cloak on... the tunic, I recall, has a dark green border around the neck and hem."

Garia closed her eyes and tried to remember those few hectic moments of sheer panic and confusion. After a moment she opened her eyes and sighed.

"Yes. There was a young man, killed outright when the ptuvil came down. Had his head crushed, I remember." She looked at the shoemaker's wife. "He would have died instantly, mistress. I don't think any of those men knew the ptuvil was there at all. It was a complete surprise to everybody."

"My Lady, I thank you for your words. Even though I know he was engaged in evil, it is a comfort to know that he did not suffer." She paused, thinking. "And my husband? Did he suffer?"

Garia shook her head. "No, mistress. What happened to him was just as unexpected, a failure of the weapon he held. He would have died with any warning at all."

"My Lady, would you permit him a normal funeral? Must his actions be held against him?"

"I - I'm not sure of the customs of Blackstone, mistress. We will have to consult with the Assembly."

Sandara bowed her head. "I understand, My Lady." She lifted her head and looked at Garia, her eyes red-rimmed from her tears. "You are merciful, My Lady. After... what happened before, you need not have treated me this way."

"You've just lost your entire family, mistress. I was never a vindictive person and I don't intend to start now. You have enough to think about without me adding to your problems."

I wonder if she has realized yet. Not only has she lost her family, but she has lost her position in the town as well. She's not the wife of the town's shoemaker any longer. I wonder what the customs are regarding lone widows?

"I have no more questions, mistress," Keren told her.

"I have one," Garia put in. "Mistress, do you know the name of this wagoneer?"

"He would not tell us his name, milady, but I have heard others about the town refer to him as Sopo." She thought. "When he spoke to Chorandar, though, the first time, I overheard the very last part of their conversation. He said to name him Fikt. That seems a strange name, does it not, milady?"

"It does, mistress, and it explains a lot. We have heard that name before, but it shouldn't be any worry to you. I think we've heard enough, Keren."

"Aye, we certainly have," he agreed. He turned to Sandara. "Shall you return to your home? Do you need an escort?"

"I will escort her, Highness," Bleskin said, rising. "I will ensure that she has the company she needs," he smiled, "just as you and milady once did the same for me. We will manage this, death is ever part of our lives, as you are all aware."

"As you say," Keren said. "Thank you, captain."

Bleskin helped Sandara to her feet and the rest watched as they made their way out into the early evening. Keren turned to Garia, releasing a long breath.

"Whoo! That went better than I expected. Thank you for letting me do the talking, Garia. I judged that she would listen to me easier than to you."

"That's what I thought too," she agreed. "Of course, your higher status probably helped as well. Being questioned by a prince is undoubtedly more impressive than being questioned by a mere baroness."

Keren spluttered. "If there's one word that could never describe you, it would be mere. But I take your point. So, what do you think of her testimony? The name Fikt explains much, I think."

"Doesn't it! It looks like the same bunch of people are still after me, whoever they are. And with Durko keeping them informed wherever we went, it was only a matter of time before they had another try."

Yarling, who had sat at the top table but kept out of the questioning, had one now.

"Highness, Milady, you speak of Durko and Fikt. I know the wagoneer came with you from Dekarran, what of this man Fikt? It cannot be his real name, surely?"

"Oh, no!" Keren agreed. "There was an attack made within the castle at Dekarran, an attempt made to kidnap Garia. Four made the attempt, two escaped." Keren briefly described what had happened. "Afterward, when we were questioning the captured survivor, he told us that the one who had planned the attack said to name him Fikt. We thought he had run off back to his masters, but we were apparently wrong. With Durko in our camp he could remain nearby and find out where we might travel."

"Oh, no!" Garia said in a different tone, one of dismay. "Does this mean our whole attempt at sending a double back to the palace was for nothing? All that effort was wasted?"

"The situation is not so bad as you suggest, milady," Feteran put in. "Remember, that Durko would not have known that you traveled north until Jaxen's wagons met those of the Prince. Until then he would have thought you went south to the palace as any other might."

"That's right," Keren agreed. "And until we reached Tranidor he would not have had any opportunity to send a message south, and then several days must pass before his master could come north."

"If Fikt was posing as a wagoneer for the miners, and traveling regularly between Blackstone and Tranidor," Garia mused. "He would have had ample time to set something up." She thought back. "And if he bought our substitution at Dekarran, he may even have crossed the Sirrel and followed the King's party back as far as the city. He would have had to come all that way back, once Durko's message reached him."

"I have a question for you, Master Miner," Keren turned to Yarling. "We suspect that several from the miner's camp were involved. Do you think they may have been casual hires, much as the shoemaker and his son, or do you think they were brought to Blackstone specially to assist the attack?"

Yarling looked unhappy. "Highness, the entire business troubles me greatly. There is a suggestion that some miners are disloyal to the crown. We may be a grasping, independent lot who dislike being told how to do our jobs -" he smiled briefly at Garia, "- but the Guild of Miners is as loyal to Palarand and our King as any other guild might be. How and why some decided to follow this Fikt is unknown to me."

"I don't think we were suggesting that the miners were disloyal," Garia said. "I think what is more likely is that some of the men up at the camp weren't really miners or workmen at all, only pretending to be. Fikt would simply have made sure that his men were picked in Tranidor when the contract was announced. That way he could bring them here and nobody would suspect anything."

"In fact," Feteran added, "it is possible that honest men were chosen in Tranidor and substituted along the road somewhere. This Fikt has shown that he does not scruple to kill."

Yarling looked shocked at the idea of miners being murdered and their places taken by heavies.

"Aye," Keren said, "it is only our fortune that has saved us these several times."

"But, Highness! How can we prove any of this?"

"I do not know, Yarling. Perhaps we must speak with your gangmaster, and with the others at the miners' camp. Someone may know something, might have heard a tale that did not ring true."

"As you wish, Highness." Yarling's expression was grim. "The honor of the Miners' Guild is at stake, you shall have what assistance I can provide."

The street door opened and Brydas, Jepp and Fedren entered. They saw the group sitting at the far table and made their way to it, bowing when they arrived.

"Highness, Milady," Brydas greeted them. "I regret my absence this afternoon, there were matters at my forge that required immediate attention." He threw open his hands. "Then it was meal time. I beg your pardon for not returning sooner."

"Do not apologise, Master Smith," Keren said, gesturing at them to seat themselves, "we all have many demands on our time. You arrive at a suitable moment, we are about to discuss recent events and your counsel - indeed, the counsel of all of you - will be greatly appreciated."

"You are too kind, Highness." Brydas indicated the door. "As I walked down I noticed Captain Bleskin and Mistress Sandara walking up to her house. How... is she taking her loss?"

"As you may expect, Master Smith. In one week she has lost daughter, husband and son. And heard her husband named traitor. Not news that any would wish to hear, were they friend or foe of milady."

Brydas nodded. "Aye. A cruel blow for any to bear. The town will do whatever it can, but Mistress Sandara is not one of our more popular residents." He gestured at his companions, now adjusting their seats. "We have come to hear of your journey and of the attack, Highness. We must needs understand if there is any danger to the town."

"I do not think you need fear for the town, good masters," Keren replied. He considered. "Except, perhaps for the ptuvil and its mate. They have now tasted man-flesh and may return seeking more. Enough! You shall hear our tale told in the right order, masters, and then make your own conclusions."

So Keren, Garia, Feteran, Yarling and others told what had happened during their trip along Blackstone Vale. There was silence when they finished, as their listeners took in the unexpected violence that had happened and the sheer luck which had saved most of their company. Eventually Brydas spoke.

"Highness, Milady, after what happened the day you arrived in our town I had supposed life to settle down but this tale makes me wonder. I agree, it is unlikely that the town is threatened by such as those who attacked you, but what might we face in future? So many new faces will come among us and we know not whether they will be friend or foe."

Garia replied, "Master Brydas, the men who attacked our party were after me, specifically. Once we return to the south you should only have what normally happens in towns like these. Okay, you'll have miners and wagonmen but I'm guessing your biggest problem is likely to be drunkenness and petty pilfering. After Trogan and now this I suspect you'll be a lot more careful in future, won't you?"

Brydas gave her a wry look. "Aye, milady, it is a poor smith who touches the hot metal more than once. We shall be wary in future, I have no doubt. But, milady, you must arrange a strong and regular watch for the town before you leave. Before Trogan came to us there were but three, and those three had other, full time employment to pay for their needs."

Garia grinned at the smith. "What you're saying, in your roundabout way, is that you want me to pay for a Sheriff and deputies to police the town. I think I can do that."

"What is a... Sheriff, milady?"

"Oh!" She smiled at Brydas. "I'm sorry, that kinda slipped out. Um, let's see. On Earth, in the country where I was born there was a tradition in the older times where a small community like Blackstone would have certain peace officers appointed. The main one of these would be called a Sheriff and he would be responsible for seeing that law and order was maintained. He'd have some deputies who would assist him when required."

"Ah, I understand, milady. These would correspond with our Watchmen, I think. Is it your desire to call such persons by different titles, milady?"

Garia was momentarily thrown. "Um, I don't know. If you have customs and such like, then perhaps I shouldn't interfere."

Jepp said, "It is your town now, milady, and none would dispute that Blackstone will change greatly as time passes. Customs will also change. If it is your wish to give your... what did you call them? ...peace officers... another name then that is your right."

"Keren? What should I do? I don't want to make things difficult for everybody just because I can."

"As Master Jepp says, Blackstone will change and I don't think the old watchmen arrangement will work as it once did." He bent his head in thought a moment before addressing the whole table. "I think we have an opportunity here to prepare for the future, would you all not agree? I have heard from Garia how the cities and towns of her world have to manage the huge populations they hold and of the specialized forces they use to maintain order and seek out criminals. Perhaps Blackstone may be used as an experiment, a way to determine how we can adapt those ideas to our own needs. Yes, Garia, I believe that you should attempt this new method."

"If you say so, Keren." She scowled, sighed and then spoke to the three men. "Okay. What I'll need you to do is to select someone from the town who you think will be able to do this job full time. In Kansas the equivalent official would be elected, and by that I mean that everybody who is considered a resident adult of the town would be able to vote, both men and women. I don't think we can go that far this time but when his tenure is done we'll consider trying some kind of vote. He'll be your choice but I'll reserve the right to approve him or otherwise."

Fedren said, "Milady, he would become the Sheriff as his only employment? Is that what you intend?"

"That's right, Master Fedren. Once he's in place what happens is that he can choose as many deputies as he needs to handle the workload. Um, I'll allow the Town Assembly to approve or deny anyone he chooses, to make sure he doesn't just pick his own family, for example. I'll pay him a salary out of House Blackstone funds and there'll be an allowance based on... I dunno, probably the number of residents in the town and how bad the level of crime gets. That's what pays the deputies. We'll see how it goes."

"Sounds interesting, milady. You would like us to suggest a name before you depart, I would imagine."

"If you can, yes please. It will be much easier than arranging the whole thing using letters." Garia blinked. "How did we get on to this subject? We were talking about what happened up the vale."

"It does make sense, Garia," Keren said. "If Blackstone already had an officer such as you describe then perhaps this Fikt may not had been able to gather his band as he did. When we arrived here and threw out Trogan and his gang everyone relaxed because we all thought it was finished. What we forgot was that others might have their own likes and dislikes, much as the late Master Shoemaker did. A... Sheriff might have known who in Blackstone was likely to cause trouble and help prevent what happened."

Brydas added, "As His Highness says, milady. Everyone thought our troubles were ended when you and your party arrived." He suddenly looked embarrassed. "Uh, milady, I didn't mean to suggest that you are not capable of governing your town -"

Garia stopped him with a hand. "Relax, Master Brydas, I know what you mean, there's no need to apologize." She looked thoughtful. "You are partially right, you know. Neither His Highness nor myself has any experience of government, especially at this level. We began to fix the immediate problem but forgot about the rest." She nodded. "That's how it has to be, I think, out here in Blackstone. When we leave you'll have to run your own affairs as you did before we, I mean Trogan, arrived."

Bleskin pointed out, "Milady, you must appoint a Steward before you leave. He will be your eyes and ears in Blackstone while the Assembly manages the town."

Garia nodded. "I know, captain. It's on a very long list of things we have to do before we leave. Let's get back to what we were discussing. Can we hold the funerals tomorrow evening?"

Brydas nodded. "Aye, milady, if you are content to release the bodies. I have already asked several of the town to find wood for the pyres."

"That's good. It's not high summer but those bodies won't keep for ever."

"As you say, milady. Have you obtained all the information from them that you desire?"

"I think so. We haven't looked at any of their belongings yet, all there might be in their saddlebags, for example."

"Which reminds me, milady. You have gained a number of frayen by your adventure. By right of conquest you could appropriate those beasts, much as you did with Trogan's beasts."

"I don't think we'll keep all of them, Master Brydas, we already have more than enough for everyone to ride. Those that the miner's gangmaster has identified he can have back, and if we find the shoemaker's frayen or that of his son his widow can have those as well. I believe Sethan found two of those that Trogan's men used, we'll keep those for a while. Any others we'll donate to the town."

"You are gracious, milady."

Garia grinned. "Not really. If we hang onto those beasts then we have to feed them and look after them. The miner's mounts were essentially stolen anyhow, so I'll be happy to see them go back to the camp. As for the rest, well, Tedenis and Briswin will require mounts for when we leave and we'll need remounts as well. I think the numbers are about right."

Fedren asked, "You mention departing, milady. Must you leave so soon? We have barely come to know you."

"I'd like to stay a little longer, Master Fedren, I really would. But, His Highness and I will have to write a detailed report for the King and Queen about what happened here. What do you think they are likely to do when they read that report?"

Fedren opened his mouth and then closed it.

Bleskin said, "Milady, I cannot see but that the King will order you and the Prince to return immediately, under heavy escort."

"Just so," Keren agreed. "That is what we predict will happen. So, we will have about six to ten days before the order comes back, depending on how upset they are. We have those few days to prepare the town and make ready for our departure."

"It is possible, Highness," Bleskin said firmly. "There are good men in the town who can arrange whatever milady requires for her people. Allow them their experience in this matter and you shall be rewarded. I know these people."

"Thank you, captain," Garia said. "I don't see we will have much choice in the matter, actually."

"Milady," Jepp said, "What of the ptuvils who attacked you? Should they threaten the town?"

Garia shrugged. "Don't ask me, Master Jepp. I know nothing about them. Local knowledge is going to be more reliable here. Although... commander, it seemed to me the ptuvil flew away for a long time, didn't it?"

"Aye, milady," Feteran replied. "We had no means of noting the time but I would guess it was two bells or so ere it returned. I would deem they roosted far to the east, Master Jepp, and so would be less likely to annoy the town." He grimaced. "Your problem is more likely to be grakh. We saw them near the town, remember, when we went to investigate the Stone Sea."

"You are right, commander," Jepp agreed, "but the season for grakh is nearly past for this year. We may rest easy until spring returns, when the grakh will fly back from their wintering grounds."

Two of the serving girls brought pots of pel and mugs which distracted the meeting. When they had retired Feteran leaned forward and said quietly, "What of the guns, milady?"

Brydas added, "These are the new weapons of which you spoke, milady?"

"They are, gentlemen," Garia replied. "We'll have to leave examination of those until tomorrow morning." She sighed. "Along with much else, I'm afraid. I'm beginning to feel just a little tired, after what we faced the last couple days." She made a face. "Keren and I will have to write a detailed letter to Their Majesties, and I don't think either of us are looking forward to that."

"Milady," Feteran said, "there is much to plan if we must leave Blackstone. We are short a wagoneer and I do not think the wagons we have will take all our gear."

"You're right, commander. We used Jaxen's wagons ourselves and we borrowed the two that are here from Dekarran, didn't we? We don't actually own any of our own wagons at all," she smiled, "although we are beginning to collect some more frayen. Look, let's leave all this for the morning, when our brains at least will be fresher."

"As you say, milady."

~o~O~o~

"I can't stay out here long, Keren. I'm nearly asleep on my feet."

"I'm not surprised. I feel weary myself. We've had three days of incident and seen much death, been terrified by a ptuvil and threatened by men with guns. It's not what either of us is used to."

She looked up at his face. "We're not children any more, are we? We've been forced to grow up quicker than we would have liked. Still, I'm glad you were there. I'm not sure how I would have managed on my own."

"I'm glad I was there to look after you, Garia, though I doubt not you would have succeeded even without my help. I could but wish the return to Palarand to be a more peaceful journey, though."

"Don't we all! You think that has much chance of happening? I'm not so sure."

"Father and mother are going to insist on a strong escort for us, all the way. I'm sure the journey will be completely boring."

She chuckled. "Yeah, right! But we have a much better idea of what we face, don't we? We shouldn't be caught out like that again."

"No, I agree. But what other tricks might our enemy have to try us with? There will be something new the next time."

"Yeah," she said more soberly. "If they use guns again, they might not be so easy to deal with. Something else we have to think about."

"As you say. Well at least we have a good team looking after us here and looking after Blackstone. We should be safe until we depart."

"Yes. Everybody has rallied round, haven't they?" She stood on tip-toe. "Kiss me, Keren, before I fall asleep in your arms."

He grinned at her. "Wouldn't be the first time, would it?" He bent down to meet her lips.

up
382 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sorry for the wait, folks

This just took far too long to finish, regrettably. Partly it was Real Life, partly it was ill-health, partly it was... I don't know, some kind of strange reluctance to just sit down and write. This is despite having most of the chapter ready in my head.

I've had some strange health issues lately which I may blog about one day. I hope it isn't enough to keep me from writing the rest of this in a timely manner.

Also, I've been sidetracked by people with maps and people with story ideas... unfortunately, I am easily distracted these days. With any luck those pressures will ease soon and I can concentrate on the main task.

Penny

Take care of yourself....

D. Eden's picture

And the rest will follow.

Penny, I had a Master Chief in the Navy when I first received my commission who told me that if you take care of the men, the men will take care of the mission. My point here is that you need to take care of yourself, and the writing will follow. After all, if you haven't got your health......

Sorry - couldn't resist. I have always been a sucker for The Princess Bride.

Hopefully, once you have some guidelines established for the SEE universe, the pressure will let up there as well and that should make your life much, much easier. Unfortunately, you have created a monster by writing a very good, very popular story, and you have many fans dying to jump in with both feet. Unfortunately, creative writing is not a talent I possess, so although I love the story and your writing I will not be contributing. Although I have been approached to serve as a technical advisor - and that was very flattering, thank you Rich!

Anyway, know that we all care about you, and yes, I would love to see more - but your health comes first. If, in any way, I can render assistance - well, the offer is made and I but await your request.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The Widow's Tale

Now we know for sure who organised the attack. Finding the best Steward and Watchman will be fun to see.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

If wishes were frayen ...

... ah...some relief from my cravings for a new S E E

Fikt is an interesting character.
Back in #57, he was dressed as a Dekarran castle guard and knew his way quite intimately through the nether regions of the castle.
He seems able to travel widely, have access to funds with which to bribe people and can imitate a wagoneer as well.
Is he the (Yodian?) James Bond?

or is Fikt the name chosen by more than one ??????

This continues to be so good, Penny, and I thank you publicly.

As regards wishes, then here are some of the thoughts I have had .....

Bleskin as Steward (and has he just met the female companion for his autumn years? THAT would make the woman proud if she was the wife/consort of the Steward!!!!)

D'Jenik is recruited to Blackstone guard (Garia will have to solve the problem of his being barred from the Palace)

Merry and Terry

Jenet and Fet

Sookie and Brydas

Senidet and Ted

Ptuvil become trainable

and that Jaxen and his travellers always have a tail-wind assisting them!

There are a few more, but I need to go and do the household chores before getting to bed ....

Thanks again Penny.

All the best

Di

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

D'Jenik

D. Eden's picture

How about D'Jenik as Sherriff? It would be a good fit - he is knowledgable, he is a trained warrior, and his loyalty lies with Garia and the King.

Of course, the problem with that is that Garia asked the townspeople to nominate a Sherriff, and he is not a local so they will not think of him.

I agree though, somewhere along the story he needs to become a retainer. Maybe he becomes the Steward, and Bleskin becomes the Sherriff. That would work, and I agree about Bleskin and Sandara. That one follows easily from this chapter, but perhaps she becomes the Sherriff's wife instead?

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

D'Kenik!

It's easy to get the names of these foreigners confused ;)

It seems there is some confusion here, as well. D'Kenik is already a member of House Blackstone, since it was thought necessary to keep him safe after the bust-up with D'Janik during Garia's coming-of-age ceremony.

As you say, he wouldn't be chosen for Sheriff since he's not a local. Garia would naturally follow US tradition in appointing a lawman so a local is what is required here.

Penny

Gazetteer is updated

However, those of you wishing to learn the fate of Fikt will have to wait until Penny releases that information. I do not release spoilers even if I already know the info. I make it a point to only release information that can readily be found in each episode or the comments made by Penny in any public remarks.

New Sheriff

I can't wait to hear that the new sign says Sheriff on the Watch Office (Sheriff's Office).

Two fingers of sour mash whisky should put you right!

Best,

DJ

Despite the situation I'm

Despite the situation I'm glad things went okay with Mistress Sandara, I thought they handled it quite delicately.

I wonder what they will find among their attackers possessions, maybe a clue or two on how they were encouraged to commit treason and where those guns came from.

Great stuff, big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Of course my life would be close to complete

... if the Sheriff were black :D

Yes, Blazing Saddles have ruined Westerns for me.

At this rate I hope Garia's purse be pretty deep considering she is not collecting taxes. As such she should just graciously accept what the town is willing to give her. That is the social contract they are use to after all.

What I do look forward to is finding out who the remaining members of the attacking force were.

Kim

The Sheriff is a NiBOOOOOONG!!!!!!

I suspect that they would have to find a wanderer from the Kittrin Empire to be able to hire a black sheriff. In that case they would have a Black Japanese Sheriff :)

As I suspected...

Last time, I finished my comment with:

Meanwhile, a wagoneer using the alias 'Sopo' (a tiny rodent)... I wonder if he's the same chap that also uses the alias 'Fikt' (a small biting insect)...

Quel surprise, they're one and the same :)

Meanwhile, Sandara's opposition to Garia is diminishing, even though she's got two bereavements and an estranged daughter; Brydas has been having fun experimenting with coke and steel (no doubt more on that next time); Keren makes the most of the ladies being occupied by using the bathhouse first, and finally Blackstone's about to get its first Sherrif (yeee hah!) - although of course the outfit and star badge won't come with the job: the uniform (if there is one) more likely to be in House colours.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Sheriff's outfit

He'll probably be wearing house colors, true. I have been thinking about Garia awarding him a badge of a distinctive shape :)

Penny

Not just a badge

He will likely need a frayen of his own, miscellaneous supplies. He will likely get one of the frayen Garia hands back to the town.

Garia will have to be sure to carefully define the limits of this Sheriff's powers and make sure he understands them before accepting him so that will take a bit of time before she leaves. Ten days will be barely enough.

Kim

I figured Bleskin as the

I figured Bleskin as the Steward, with a side of training the watchmen and Sheriff (Shire Reeve).

Yup, hand the guy a badge. "Here. It's a shield. Sorry, we couldn't justify more than a pennysworth of metal, so you'll have to move your hands fast if something comes at you."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Certain Distinctive Shape

I certainly hope its made of Tin :D (In reference to most of the spaghetti westerns), however I tried to find a link to your typical "badges" to find out what they were made out of and failed. However I did find a lot of neat info.

Some of the "small towns" used a bottom of a tin can and just made stars out of em, or they cut bits off a large Spanish silver dollar (Mexican Ocho Reales) The badges came about simply so that strangers could easily identify a law man, even though the locals didn't need the badge tourists did. Lead is too soft, silver and gold would tempt the scoundrels just for the bit of shiny metal, steel probably too hard to actually work, so Tin :D

http://www.badgehistory.com/earlybadges.html

Some of those badges are amazing from that badge history page.
I doubt that Blackstone has a proper jewelers guild member, (I think I remember reading that in one of the chapters) so our local blacksmith will just have to make due with making something shiny and badgeish in shape. I was surprised that none of the star shaped ones have sharp points on the star tips, but having worn a stamped shield security guard badge myself, I can certainly tell you the number of times I leaned over something and got a decent bruise, so I would think those little rounded bits on the tips make so much sense. Ya learn something new every day, The Internet is such an awesome tool. I would have never looked up badges before.

Oval

Since as far as I know Palarand has no history attached to the star shape, an oval badge would probably be easier to fabricate.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Return to Paraland

It seems like a bad idea for Garia and company to even try to go back to Paraland without significant escort. I hope that they can get a message out to call for assistance.

Where is Blackstone on the new map?

G

Blackstone on the map

Blackstone will be on the third (?) map made by Di Wonder's fair hand. It is a long way north-west so will involve a lot of traveling.

I suspect that they are going to get a big escort whether they want one or not. There are going to be a lot of upset people down south, wondering what they were thinking of to let those two go off the way they did. Fun times!

Penny

Another great chapter in the

Another great chapter in the tales... I would suspect that the king will have an escort (maybe 20-30 guardsmen) deliver the message to ensure their prompt and safe return. :-)

When is Garia going to accept that everything she does is going to affect somebody. Hiring a sheriff is a good idea and should help to maintain the peace.

I also like the 'romance' you've woven into the story, with Gaia/Keren and Jenet/Feteran. I'm hoping that Merizel gets with Terinar as well (just a suggestion). It's your story so take it where ever you will, and I'll keep enjoying it. :D

Hugs,
Mark <3

The Watchmen

will need an office and perhaps holding cells for any malcontents. Will Garia now have a small, sturdy castle or fortress built for all of Blackstone's many needs as her Barony? What about building a stockade wall around the town?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sheriff's Office

Already exists, Stan. It is where the 'hostages' were held when Trogan ran the town.

It probably wouldn't be easy or practical to build a stockade around the town. This is the beginning of rapid industrialization, remember. Aside from the physical location halfway up the side of a hill there are going to be mines, workshops and warehouses all over the area. Combined with the likely introduction of firearms and any kind of wall or stockade is not going to be of much use.

Penny

A new Sheriff in

town. Oh yes, the first Sheriff lol.

Marshall Dillon? Festus? Just joking!

Great story as usall! :}

Garia and Keren are so deeply in love now that nothing is going to hold them back it seems!? At least I don't think so anyway.

Vivien

Another excellent chapter Penny.

And I'm thoroughly enjoying it. So much history, so much social science etc, etc, etc. I love it.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

More SEE Goodness

terrynaut's picture

This story is always worth the wait. I'm enjoying it all immensely. Thanks very much.

Thanks and kudos, as always.

- Terry

Great Stories

I Have been a long time lurker and got many an days; enjoyment from the stories here.
SEE is among the best. When I first found Tales of Anmar I couldn't put it down. I 'm compulsive, obsessed, and manic with whatever draws me into it. When I started Tales I read it straight through,seven books or 8 in one sitting. That is not to say I didn't sleep or eat but sometimes I did that at my computer. Being disabled allows me crazy schedules.

Not to derail this thread but if I wanted to ask a separate question do I do that through the blog function button at the top. I have hesitated to comment or ask questions not sure of the protocol used.

Thanks again for the wonderful stories and authors here.

Katelyn

Adding a comment

If you wish to make a seperate comment not associated to any other replies to a story then click on the Make new comment button at the bottom of the story. If you want to privately ask the author a question then you can click on sent author a message button.

Payter Eketta
Editor-in-Chief of the S.E.E. Gazetteer

Days

It will be an interesting week to see what happens in the next few days, things are going to get busy

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Some truths hard to accept

Jamie Lee's picture

Garia could have taken her anger out on the shoemaker's wife, after what he and his son did. But she treated the widow with an unexpected respect and kindness the widow didn't feel she deserved.

Her husband made a deal with the devil and paid for his decision. But then had the fine not been levied then he wouldn't have paniced in trying to find the needed money. Also, their attitude toward nobles kept him from coming to Garia to ask for more time or a reduction of the fine.

Their immediate concerns now are to dispose of the bodies, appoint a Steward, get ready to return south, and maybe see about helping the widow. All the while watching out for Fikt or others.

Others have feelings too.