Somewhere Else Entirely -92-

Printer-friendly version

Garia awakens to strange noises in the women's sleeping chamber and assumes the worst. However, it seems sufficient precautions have already been taken. She recognizes that the nature of their expedition has changed and makes a suggestion to Keren which has unexpected side effects. There is talk of containers, soils and the problems of trans-shipment before the company prepare to discover if Trosanar has laid plans for them at Tranidor.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

92 - Prince Keren Takes Charge


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



As is often the case, it was some time before Garia realized that the noises weren't part of her dream. As she swam back up into awareness, parts of her mind did what they usually did, trying to analyze the noises to fit them properly into the real world. Irregular. Scratchy. Perhaps. Metallic.

With a supreme effort she fought to prevent the adrenalin flooding her body from giving any sign that she had suddenly exploded to fully awakening. She controlled her breathing rigidly, maintaining the steady repetition of the unaware sleeper. Her body, briefly rigid, she forced to relax, to gain some time before whoever was in the room became aware that she knew they were present.

Behind. That means he can't see my face. Unless there is more than one, of course.

Very carefully she opened one slitted eye just enough to observe her surroundings. Gray, the light of pre-dawn. In her view was a recently-trimmed and caulked wall of sawn wood and she remembered where she was and just what might have happened.

Those men! We were idiots to trust them! Oh, crap!

What do I do? I can't turn over and leap out to attack, since I don't know where they would be standing. I can't see anyone this side, so I'll come out over here. That will put the bed between me and whoever, give me time to assess the situation.

Decision made, Garia moved. The covers were flung off in a convulsive move, directly at where she supposed the noises to come from. At the same time she rolled out of bed the other side onto her feet, spinning and coming into a ready stance, facing the apparent threat.

The servant girl shrieked, jumped a foot in the air and dropped the poker which clattered as it rolled on the bare floorboards.The combined noise was sufficient to rouse the other sleepers in the room, some barely awake, others alarmed by Garia's position and attitude.

"My Lady!" The girl stammered. "My apologies, I did not mean to waken you." She bent and scrambled after the hot iron, turning to give Garia a curtsey once she had picked it up. "I thought to warm your room this cold morning."

The girl turned and Garia could see the flames flickering in the stone fireplace in the corner of the sleeping chamber. A bucket of coal stood beside the grate alongside a bundle of kindling.

"Garia? What..." Merizel asked, sleepily.

Garia relaxed, embarrassed to have woken everybody up that way. She smiled at the servant girl.

"It is I who has to apologize," she said. "I think I must have been dreaming. I'm sorry I made you jump." She felt the faint chill in the air. "Please, carry on, a little warmth wouldn't go amiss." She turned to Merizel, but her words were directed at all the women, now rubbing sleep from their eyes. "I thought those men of Trosanar's had decided to do something," she explained. "You remember, something like this happened to me before."

"Oh, yes, Garia! But that was before I came to the palace, wasn't it?" Merizel reminded her. She frowned. "You didn't really imagine those men would try something, with all our own men here as well?"

"I don't know, Merry." Garia smiled. "But all's well that ends well, I guess. Now that I'm awake and up, I think I have to go across the road. Coming?"

Without waiting for an answer Garia moved to the wall and removed her traveling cloak from its peg and wrapped it around her. Merizel groaned, climbed out of bed and found her own cloak.

"Milady," Lanilla asked, "do you bathe now? Shall you require our presence?"

"I don't think so, Lanilla. The toilet is my immediate concern and there are only four cubicles. If you want to wait until we're done that's fine."

"Thank you, milady. My needs are not as urgent as yours, I deem."

"Jenet?"

"Coming, milady."

Garia led the way to the door at the end of the building but the servant girl stopped her.

"Milady, you cannot go out by that door. The way is blocked."

"Blocked?" The men must have done something to stop anyone getting in that way. "Uh, okay, we'll go round. We can go round, I take it?"

"Aye, milady, if you go through the eating area."

Garia led Merizel and Jenet out the other end of the dormitory and onto the covered walkway, turning left to enter the eating area. Two servants were there setting out the tables for breakfast but paid the women little attention. Garia walked between the tables and chairs, reaching the roadway to discover... six dranakh asleep, sprawled out over the roadway, one actually spread all over the steps leading to the end of the Women's Dormitory.

"Blocked is right," Merizel commented. "I don't think I'd care to go climbing over a sleeping dranakh, do you?"

"Dead right there," Garia agreed. "Looks like the situation was well in hand whether we wanted it to be or not! Come on, lets get moving else I'll be walking funny."

When they emerged from the bath house all the dranakh had gone, the roadway now empty except for a few men making their way to an early breakfast. The coal fire had made their sleeping chamber pleasantly warm and they spent some time organizing themselves while they waited for the others to take their turn in the cubicles. The servant girl, her fireplace and other duties complete, came and curtseyed before Garia.

"Will you wish to bathe this morning, milady? I have started the water boiling but it will need attention if so many of you wish to bathe." She gave Garia an apologetic smile. "It is the first time that women have used our roadhouse, milady, and I know a women's needs are different than those of the men who pass this way."

"What do you think, girls?" Garia asked. "We had a good dip last night but we've a long way to go. Whatever we do we'll be dirty again by the time we get to Tranidor, so it might be better to forgo a bath this morning to save some time." She remembered something and turned to Merizel. "You might need a dip, Merry. Is your Call finished?"

"Aye, Garia, it is about over but I think I will just take a wash before we leave. With your permission?"

"Of course! I've no problem with a wash but I don't think we all need to jump in the tub, is what I'm saying. The men would only complain if we did."

"The men always complain," Merizel responded. "It seems to be a man's part to complain about the length of time a woman takes with her cleanliness and appearance."

"And somehow it never rubs off, does it?" Garia grinned. "Come on, let's get dressed and get some food inside us. I'm starving."

Garia and her staff joined Keren at his table and for a time all concentrated on the business of breakfast. When they had finished she turned to him.

"I was surprised when you let Severel's men guard the blocks," she said. "Did you know the dranakhs would turn up like that?"

"No I didn't! I had no idea they would do such a thing. No, Feteran and I had a good, long talk with Severel last night after you retired. Firstly I told him that if he wanted a fight he'd have to take on all Tanon's men as well as our own men, which meant we outnumbered him significantly," Tanon, further along the table, nodded agreement. "And secondly," Keren continued, "I showed him the decree and told him his lord had received one just the same, so if he tried anything and either of us was adbucted, hurt, killed or even just delayed, he would be committing treason and nothing in the world would stop my father or Uncle Gil coming after all of them. I think he got the point."

Garia nodded. "Yes. That decree is kind of blood-curdling, isn't it? Simple but with the hint of naked violence under it."

Keren grinned. "Aye. Father's usually much more subtle but where his son and heir is concerned... That wasn't all we did, though. Without telling Severel we set up watches, three men in a spare room in the servant's block over there and three in the coal wagoneers' block at the far end. Two bell shifts and each party had a bugle. Any sign of trouble and the whole camp would be awake in moments."

"Well, thank you, Your Highness! I must say we all slept well last night."

"...Until you woke this morning and thought we had been invaded," Merizel corrected her. "Jumping out of bed that way just isn't natural."

"What's this?"

Merizel explained and Garia reddened at the description, but Keren merely flicked a hand.

"Crazy foreign girl, what do you expect? Perhaps in Kansas she has men climbing in and out her windows all night."

Garia stared at Keren with slitted eyes. "You will pay for that, barbarian! Wait until I get you on a mat again!"

"You and which army might that be?"

"Why, yours, of course! I'm not stupid, you know."

As they rose to get ready to leave Garia stopped Keren with a hand on his arm.

"Keren, I have a request, if I may."

"Oh?"

"Would you wear your headband today? I think it might be important."

"Headband?"

"You know, the gold one."

Recognition came to Keren's eyes but he raised an eyebrow to Garia.

"On our journey here," she explained, "it was basically my journey, to visit my lands. I thoroughly enjoyed doing it the way we did, especially as we were able to stay in the towns and see how the real people live. Okay there was a certain amount of sneaking about and pretending but we just rolled along like the other travelers, didn't we? Only going home isn't going to be like that at all, is it? We're going to travel from noble's house to noble's house, surrounded by numbers of men-at-arms and the journey is going to be completely different. We're going to be official, and that means that you're in charge because you have the highest rank of everybody we're ever going to meet. You need to be that rank, and your headband will help you do that. Would you do that for me?"

Keren stood and thought about what Garia had said, realizing that she was right, the nature of their procession had fundamentally changed. He was now an adult and fully entitled to the perquisites of his position - and, given the places they would likely be staying, that might make all the difference how they were treated.

He nodded. "Your counsel is wise, milady. I will do as you suggest, and gladly." He gave her a glance. "Are you expecting me to protect you? Is that it?"

She considered, then gave him a smile. "Yes and no, Keren." He poked out a tongue at her. "You know I don't quite think in those terms yet but sometimes a girl needs a big, strong man to look after her." She looked pensive. "If my Call is about due, you know how that can affect me. I'm beginning to understand that there's a reason the world works the way it does. And if Trosanar's a sample of what we might face, we need all the help we can get."

"Aye, Garia. Did I ever tell you that you were smart as well as pretty?"

The wagon train was swiftly reassembled and stood waiting for the riders to take their positions. Keren, Feteran and Jaxen did a swift count to make sure everybody was present. Frowning, Keren turned to Severel.

"Quadrant, where are the rest of your men?"

"Highness, all who came with me to Blackstone are here waiting."

"That was not what I asked. What of those you detached to remain at this roadhouse? I want them out here now, they are riding with us."

Severel looked unhappy. "Highness, Lord Trosanar gave me instructions to leave a small guard behind to protect this place. Since hearing of the banditry you encountered he feels that the roadhouse must have some trained men to provide reassurance to the staff."

Keren shook his head. "Quadrant, the roadhouses of Palarand are not the concern of you or your lord unless they are on your lord's lands. Bid your men collect their belongings and join their fellows."

"Highness, I must protest! I may not refuse the direct commands of my lord."

Keren said patiently, "This forest is a private hunting reserve, the property of Duke Gilbanar, my uncle. The writ of your lord does not run here. His men have no business here, except as we do, as travelers passing through along the highway. Bid your men collect their belongings and join us, else we shall gather their belongings... and add them to the pyres of your men."

Severel turned white. Behind her Garia heard men shifting in the saddle as they reached for sword or bow. Ahead she could see her own men eyeing up those in black and red.

Severel bowed in the saddle and replied, "As you command, Highness!"

He wheeled his frayen and chopped out commands, whereupon two men rode off to the far end of the site. They returned moments later, followed by six more who were leading their mounts, some still stuffing clothing into saddlebags. These men stood staring resentfully at Keren.

"The coin, if you would."

He held out a hand. The men looked at him nervously.

"What?" he asked. "Did you not think we spoke to any along the way? We knew you demanded coin from those who came to this camp, coin you had no business to ask." His face showed contempt. "I might still be young but I am not stupid. What did you call it? A protection fee? Guard retainer? Security services? Your lord holds no writ in this place and what you do is theft. The coin, if you would, before I have you tried as common thieves."

One of the men produced a small pouch from his saddlebag and handed it reluctantly to Keren.

"Prepare your animals and mount up," he instructed, sliding from his own saddle. "When I return we leave for Tranidor, where I shall have an interesting conversation with your lord about the laws of Palarand."

Garia glowed through this confrontation. Just putting on the thin gold fillet had changed Keren completely. Nobody could now deny that he was a Prince in fact as well as in name and she watched almost in awe as he strode off toward the kitchen. She noticed others take account of the change in his manner and even Feteran viewed him with a look of respect. Wow. The future King sure shines through, doesn't he? Soon he was back and pulling himself into the saddle, his expression serious as he surveyed their company.

"Ready? Garia? Feteran? Good. Let's go, Jaxen. We have wasted enough time here already."

Merizel was now mounted again and she rode beside Garia as they turned onto the road.

"It's funny how such a simple thing can make such a difference," she said. "My! He shows that he has the authority, doesn't he? You are very fortunate to be able to lay claim to him, Garia."

"Me? I'm not sure I had much say in the matter. What happened did so before I knew much about what was going on here. I'm not sure either of us really had much choice, considering the way we were thrown together." Garia smiled. "Do you see me complaining? Anyhow, I see you're riding again. Is your Call finished?"

Merizel sighed with relief. "I'm glad it's over," she remarked. "Riding a wagon is tolerable but I much prefer a saddle. Thank you, Garia, for showing our betters that their fears were unfounded."

"As you say, Merry. But I think this will be the last day Snep gets to carry me, I'm afraid. When we leave Tranidor tomorrow I'll be on a wagon myself."

"Milady?" Jenet asked from behind. "It is not time, surely? You are at least a day early."

Garia scowled. "Yes, I know. I don't know why it is happening now but there are definite signs. Perhaps my body is still settling down, or maybe it's something to do with the seasons." She shrugged. "This whole thing was a mystery to me before I came to Anmar, I have no clue what is happening now."

Merizel was ticking the days off on her fingers. "If I'm right, that would take you all the way to Dekarran, Garia. You'll be able to cross the Sirrel on Snep, though."

"Gee, thanks. Well maybe Senidet can ride Snep some of the way, assuming her aches and pains have eased up."

The road angled up the slope of the mountainside to their left and began to climb, heading towards the fork where it joined the trade route to Chaarn. The pace of the wagons slowed, those carrying the coal more so than the rest. When they reached the fork, at about the highest point of their route, they waited for the slower wagons to catch up. Tanon rode up to Garia as they watched.

"This is the biggest problem, milady, as no doubt you know. To carry such loads up such a gradient takes much time and effort."

"As you say, Master Tanon. There's nothing we can do about that for now but we're planning either a new road or, later, a railroad through the forest so the wagons won't have to make this climb."

"But that will not happen for a year or perhaps more," he said. "To commission a new road through country such as this forest will take time."

"That's what Master Bezan will be doing, now that we have laid out the town," she explained. "He'll be spending next spring and summer surveying the land and working out the best route. To begin with it will be just a road for the heavy traffic but the intent is to convert it into a railroad once we can get enough steel for the rails."

"I see, milady. And how far will the railroad go? To Tranidor?"

Garia shrugged. "To begin with, just far enough to get us past the forest and then we can set up a wharf on the river somewhere. If we can do Tranidor, fine, but I know this kind of project will take time and money."

Tanon frowned. "There are serious problems with trans-shipment, milady, that we had best discuss over lunch. But you need not worry about money, milady. Though we have to take this coal all the way to Central Palarand by wagon, barge and ship there is still profit in it for all of us. Our main concern, if I understand Master Parrel's plans correctly, is the time it will take to build these new blast furnaces of yours."

"I agree. I can speed up the process by so much but some of it will just take time. Of course, once we prove out the system we can build blast furnaces nearer the materials, which will save everybody time and money. But, coming back to these wagons I see approaching, I have an idea. What about a banker?"

"A banker, milady? I do not understand that term."

"Oh, I suppose you wouldn't. It's an old railroad term, as I recall. Look, the idea is you get, say, five or six extra dranakhs and keep them at the roadhouses either side of this hill. When a train of wagons comes along, you hitch them to the front of each wagon and double-team them up the slope. When you get to the other roadhouse you unhitch them and they're ready to help a wagon going the other way. Every wagon going to Blackstone has to come back so you won't get too out of balance with the numbers. What do you think?"

Tanon looked at Garia with respect. "Milady, once again you amaze me. Such a simple solution to the problem. I will make inquiries immediately we reach Tranidor." He eyed her. "Though, as I have reported, the demand for dranakh is greatly increased. The initial costs may be heavy."

Garia shrugged. "I don't see how we can do anything else in the short term, Master Tanon. Unless you know a way to make dranakh breed large numbers of offspring we're stuck with the supply there is, and if everybody wants them then they will get expensive. I only offered a possible answer to getting those heavy wagons up these hills."

"Your... railroad... would, of course, solve this problem by replacing dranakh with steam engines, as I understand the matter."

"That's right, Master Tanon. That's why I wanted to get a priority put on getting the railroad system started, before we ended up with other problems like a shortage of dranakhs."

"As you say, milady." The lead wagon reached them and Tanon turned away, thoughtful.

Within a short time the caravan had reassembled and they began the careful process of rolling the wagons down the other slope under careful control. Since the coal wagons were the heaviest they were put at the front of the train so that any incident wouldn't cause them to run into wagons in front. As on their previous day's travel, Severel and his men scouted ahead and behind, leaving their own troops and Tanon's men to guard the flanks of the procession.

It was lunch time when they reached the next roadhouse, one they had visited on the way out where Jaxen had first become wary of what might lay ahead. At this roadhouse, because of the location and altitude, the whole kitchen and eating area was enclosed. This time, there was no question in their minds about using the facilities and they all piled inside, leaving only some token guards around the wagons. The innkeeper was taken aback to have so many customers at once but found places for all to sit and eat, content with the likely profit from their visit. He appeared not to recognize them from their previous visit which Garia thought was probably just as well. The company soon cleaned themselves up and ordered food and drink.

"Milady," Tanon began, "You remember that you mentioned trans-shipment of your goods earlier. The situation is... complex."

"Oh?"

"Aye... the river Bray is large enough here to permit small barges to travel, probably at least as far upriver as this, though I know the river must be a mark away from the road by now. I had considered a wharf somewhere nearby which could take the coal from here to Haligo. You know, of course, that no boat or barge can pass the gorge and rapids at Haligo."

Garia nodded, the others looking on with interest. "Yes, of course. Oh, I see. That means that you would have to trans-ship here, then again above Haligo, truck the coal through Haligo on wagons then trans-ship it again the far side. You're saying it makes more sense to leave it in the wagons all the way to Haligo, then."

"Aye, milady, though that is only one way to view the problem. We would needs employ more men to lift the sacks in and out of the wagons and barges each time. There would thus be bunkhouses at each wharf for the men, stables for beasts and other expenses. I am not telling you it cannot be done, but the costs would certainly rise."

Keren put in, "Tanon, the alternative, surely, is to run wagons to Haligo as you do now. I'm thinking that you need more men as wagons and guards than you would on a fleet of barges. Do barges carry bigger loads than wagons do?"

"You are correct, Highness. The use of wagons over the whole distance means more wagons, more men, more dranakhs but this is an established method of carrying goods and the extra costs are not so great." He gave a wry smile. "Until we run out of wagons, men and dranakhs, of course. But establishments like these," he waved his hand at their surroundings, "are already positioned along our major routes and we may make use of them at advantageous rates."

"There might be a way," Garia said slowly. "On Earth there's a recent thing called containerization."

Tanon frowned with concentration. "You speak of containers, milady. I assume these would be all the same size and shape, able to take goods of different kinds?"

Garia nodded. "That's it exactly, Master Tanon! Now, the ones we use on Earth are monsters. You wouldn't be able to make anything like those here yet, since they are of course made out of steel. Let's see. Roughly, those are about three strides high and three strides wide, and made in certain lengths to stack easily, three, six, nine and twelve strides long."

Twelve strides is about forty feet, isn't it? If so, the short size doesn't sound right. It doesn't matter, just so's they understand how big those things can get.

"So big, milady? Many country folk live in dwellings not so large as that."

She waved a hand. "Those sizes aren't right but they give you an idea how big the ones we use are. The trick is how the containers are handled and for our coal traffic I thought of something much simpler but related. Suppose you build a wagon but with just a flat bed." Tanon nodded. "At the corners you have a rounded peg sticking up to stop the container slipping. The container itself is just a big box which locates over the pegs. It can have a roof or it might be open. When you get it to the wharf you can just crane it from the wagon bed into the barge, which is sized to fit the containers and has pegs to stop them moving about as well."

Tanon nodded slowly. "And your crane would have a steam engine to raise and lower the loads, milady. I see. It would require the wagons and barges to be specially made, of course, but since we are already building new -" He looked at Garia. "An excellent idea, milady. I will speak to the guildsmen about containers once we reach Palarand."

"Make a note, Merry," Garia instructed. "I want to make sure I tell the guildsmen all I remember about containers, because some of the details are important."

"As you wish, Garia," Merizel replied, pulling a sheet of paper from her bag.

Garia turned to Tanon again. "There's something about the pegs and sockets," she explained. "It's not important to explain today but they are key to the way the whole thing works. If we can get that right to begin with it will set a standard for many decades to come."

"I shall look forward to your explanations with interest, milady," Tanon replied. "As one of those who makes heavy use of wagons to carry Palarand's goods it is certainly a subject I should acquaint myself with."

"There's a possible bonus here, Master Tanon," Garia added. "If you do make something like that, you could just fill the container with coal without needing bags. Your men wouldn't need to handle it at all along the journey. At the far end you could drop the whole container into a special revolving frame which dumps the coal out in one go. Less handling, less mess, less loss of cargo, which are some of the reasons we developed containers on Earth."

Tanon looked at Garia shrewdly. "You make an interesting point, milady. Such containers could also be used for carrying grains, fruits, vegetables and other products, would they not?"

Garia smiled. "That's it exactly. If it will fit into a container, somebody somewhere will have used one to do just that. The containers we use can be locked and sealed so that what went in one end can be guaranteed to come out the other."

Tanon gave her another wry smile. "First you make me dig canals and build barges, milady, then I commission more wagons than the Valley has ever known, then there was the small matter of a stage coach, and now this. I can foresee many uses for these containers of yours." He thought, his expression changing. "But forgive me, I was explaining the problems with our present enterprise, milady. Besides what I have already described there are... political difficulties."

Keren sat up, his eyes intent. "Oh, Tanon? Explain."

"These forests, as you described this morning to our errant Quadrant yonder, belong to Duke Gilbanar. Once we ride beyond the forest the lands either side of the Bray are those of two barons. The lands on the further side of the Bray belong to Baron Werrel who is a vassal of Count Trosanar. He will do nothing without the permission of his lord, and it has been made clear to us that no such permission will ever be given.

"Those lands on this side of the Bray are those of Baron Charzon, who as far as I have been able to discover has never visited them. I understand the lands came with his wife many years ago. He lives in some splendor in a mansion in Palarand and has interests in the ocean trade. I know him well, but even our friendship will not allow him to permit me a wharf on the lands we will pass through. Though he is not Count Trosanar's vassal it seems he would not draw the attention of the count at any price."

Keren's eyes narrowed. "He applies pressure? Even though Charzon is not his vassal?"

Tanon spread his hands. "Highness, there are villages on his lands, and the only nearby access to goods and markets is Tranidor. I am told that Trosanar has made it plain that, should a wharf be build on Charzon's lands, the tolls for the local people to enter his town would rise."

"He directs this at the coal traffic deliberately, then?" Keren was angry. "Since the wagons have no need to enter and leave Tranidor by the same gate."

"As you say, Highness. There is no need, and with the bridge toll Trosanar demands, few wagons would wish to make the detour under normal circumstances."

"Wait a moment," Garia said. "You're saying that the locals have to pay the bridge toll every time they go to market? That's evil."

"That's life, Garia," Keren explained. "A toll will always be charged, though usually it would be much smaller for local folk, just going to and from their own market town. Most of the bridge revenues come from the long-distance caravans such as Tanon's."

"Aye, milady," Tanon confirmed, "and we are glad to pay those tolls, since they are used for the maintenance of the roads we travel. But I deem Count Trosanar becomes greedy of late."

"Milady," Yarling added. "Master Tanon puts his finger on it. The reason we miners dislike Lord Trosanar is his petty meanness. He seeks to obtain every soo for any object or person that passes his town. You may know that some of our workings are difficult and of less profit, Lord Trosanar does not understand these things but seeks only what coin our efforts may deliver him."

Garia put her head in her hands. "Oh, great. Now we have to deal with a tightwad as well." She looked up at Keren. "Are we sure that's all he is? Someone in love with other people's money?"

Keren smiled at Garia. "Interesting expressions you use, milady." The smile faded. "Perhaps. He dare not disobey the King's decree so I doubt our party will be troubled for a donation. But, it might be as well that we prepare ourselves against any plans he might lay against us. Yarling, you and Master Tanon would know this town best. Advise us, if you would."

~o~O~o~

The way became flatter, the forest richer, even the slopes to their left became more gentle and covered with rich vegetation. Eventually the forest ended and they were in the farmed lower region of Bray Vale. Garia remembered this region from their outward journey and, as earlier, studied the view with increased interest.

Most of the land had now been plowed ready for some kind of winter crop but some fields still had late summer crops growing in them. What they were she could not tell, never having been exposed to agriculture since she had arrived. There were still folk about in the fields, turning the soil or weeding, doing other inscrutable farming tasks.

Occasionally she would see small villages, some no better than hamlets, smoke rising from many of the houses even though the day was now warm. None of the villages was close to the trade route but lay some distance away, toward the river, accessed by narrow tracks between the fields. Her expression grew frustrated as she compared these fertile lands with the near-wastelands she had acquired the other side of the forest.

"Milady?"

"Hm? Oh, just wondering why these lands are so rich yet Blackstone's are so poor."

Feteran nodded. "It is a stark contrast, milady. Doubtless there is some power in the rocks which makes the soil so. Perhaps Master Yarling can answer you when we stop for our next break."

They pulled off the road mid-afternoon and the men soon had some water boiling for pel. Feteran remembered Garia's comment and directed Yarling to her side, where she stood talking to Keren.

"Highness, Milady. I trust I do not interrupt anything."

"There is nothing private about our words, Master Miner. Join us."

"Thank you, Highness. The commander has told me that milady pondered the difference in soils between this end of Bray Vale and her own."

"Aye, Master Yarling. I have noticed the same myself. Have you an answer for us?"

"Perhaps, Highness. Do you remember, on the journey out, we had to leave the road and make camp in that ruin by the river?"

"Aye, I do." Both Keren and Garia nodded.

"You remember, of course, the waterfall? It would seem to me that there is some kind of discontinuity in the rock there. On this side are the rocks which provide us miners with veins of ore and make these fields so valuable for food. On milady's side, maybe the rocks are of a different kind, carrying coal instead of metals and less able to grow much at all."

Keren's eyes narrowed in thought. "Then, Master Yarling, it would seem to me that this discontinuity you speak of is not restricted to Bray Vale, is it not so? We have seen that the Stone Sea is such a discontinuity, perhaps there are others which cross this part of Alaesia. Perhaps we must concentrate our search for coal to the regions north and east of the forest."

"I cannot disagree, Highness. There are thin seams to the west but none like we have discovered on milady's lands." Yarling smiled. "Although, perhaps, it is I who will be searching for signs of coal rather than yourself or milady."

Keren grinned. "I spoke of the project, not the people, Yarling. But, there is a point here. The trade route to Chaarn must pass through those regions we will be interested in. Should Palarand therefore attempt to incorporate those regions into the kingdom?"

"Highness, those are properly matters for your father, not myself. But, if you will leave the expedition in my hands, by the time the next rains arrive I should be able to tell you if the coal we have discovered extends to the east and perhaps how far. There would be little point obtaining those lands if they are, indeed, wastelands."

"As you say. Garia, does that all sound reasonable?"

"That's the way I would do it," she replied. "Where does Palarand's responsibility over the trade route end?"

"Legally at the ridge, milady, although we would maintain the road as far north as necessary to permit wagons to pass. We may learn more from Jaxen or, indeed, Master Tanon, though they would probably not have noticed coal seams as they passed."

Garia asked, "How long is the trade route, do you know?"

Yarling shrugged. "A long way, milady. I have ventured a day's travel beyond the ridge, no more. Maybe three weeks travel, maybe longer. And the route is a complicated one, climbing in and out of valleys all the time." He shuddered. "I would not like to bring coal out that way, milady."

"Okay," she said, ending the discussion with a chop of her hand. "We're only speculating here. We need to sit down, all of us, with a good map of the region and plan things out. Will we have time to do that in Tranidor?"

Keren shook his head. "Not this time, Garia. We know we'd be safe in Tranidor but my father was most specific. One night is all we may be permitted to stay."

"Do not concern yourself, milady," Yarling added. "I must return to Blackstone directly and then winter will be upon us. This matter will wait until spring, and by then we will have all the facts available to us."

Garia sighed. "You're right, Master Yarling. We'll have to do it that way, I guess."

~o~O~o~

It was late afternoon when the caravan approached Tranidor. At this time of day the sun was setting and their route lay almost directly into it, so Garia had to squint to see anything ahead of them. Shading her eyes she could see the dark mass of the mountain to her right, with the Bray close beneath it. Against the colors of sunset the castle stood out in silhouette, perched above the town on the slope of the mountain.

The caravan reached the road junction and Severel's leading file turned smartly towards the bridge over the Bray, where a fortified gate awaited them on the far side. The first four wagons carried on along the main route south causing a shout, and Severel wheeled his frayen about to come back beside Jaxen.

"Wagonmaster, why do your wagons go thusly? Should not all your party enter the town?"

Jaxen shrugged, hiding a smile as best as he could. "Why need they, Quadrant? They have no business in the town and there are no accommodations arranged for their party. They merely rode with us from Blackstone to take advantage of the extra protection we provided them."

Severel's expression was black as he asked Jaxen, "Will any others of your party be taking their leave, wagonmaster? I did not know which of you would accompany His Highness and the Baroness to the south."

Jaxen thought. "There are three wagons which brought goods to Blackstone," he admitted. "These will probably remain in Tranidor in order to take provisions back to the town. I do not know the plans of Master Yarling nor Master Tanon, although I suspect Master Tanon will likely accompany the Prince. The rest of us will be traveling south. Are you answered, Quadrant?"

"Aye, wagonmaster," Severel replied, fuming. He turned away, to cross the bridge and speak with the gate sentries.

Garia turned and watched the coal wagons disappear in the distance. About half a mark away she could see a pull-in where other wagons waited and she guessed that they would stop there for the night. There were one or two booths visible at the site and it was obvious why Trosanar was becoming upset, if none of this land was his.

"Garia, come on."

She turned and smiled to Keren, then followed the other across the bridge into the town. The wagons threaded their way through the narrow streets and halted at a junction. Tanon rode forward to join Jaxen at the front.

"I'll take Master Yarling to his hall," he said, "and then we'll go and find our accommodation in the Weaver's Arms. If we don't meet later tonight then send one of the boys to find me in the morning."

Jaxen saluted his employer. "As you wish, master."

Tanon turned to the lead wagon, where Yarling sat waiting.

"Are you ready?"

"Aye, Master Tanon. Lead the way."

The three wagons turned away from the castle and along some narrower streets, finally pulling up in front of the Miners' Hall. Yarling climbed carefully down.

"Shall you join me within, Master Tanon? This is as much your business as mine."

"Aye, Master Yarling, that I will. Your invitation is welcome. After so many marks in the saddle it will be a relief to stand for a change."

At the door they were challenged by two of the hall's servants. Yarling being recognized, he and his guest were shown within. The man who greeted them in the entrance hall was not who Yarling expected.

"Guildmaster Horran! We did not expect to find you here. What happened to Master Moriswin?"

Horran curled a lip. "That thief has been skimming guild funds. What I mean is, more than the usual slice. He's been demoted and sent up the Sufen." Horran eyed Yarling up and down. "What happened to you? Get tripped in a tavern somewhere?"

Yarling looked offended. "I had this wound defending His Highness and the Baroness from brigands, I'll have you know. A single shot from a new kind of weapon killed one of the Prince's men and wounded four others at the same time." He paused for dramatic effect. "That was before the ptuvil attacked us, of course."

"What? You mean that crazy story was true?"

"Aye, Guildmaster. Shall we find a room? There is much to tell you and, perhaps, not much time. What of Trosanar? Does he still weave his plans?"

"Aye." The Guildmaster nodded. "You have already had trouble, then? Come, let us sit in here and exchange news." Horran held out a hand. "Master Tanon, you are welcome in our halls. Wine! Bring wine for our guests!"

up
379 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It appears that greed and politics once again go hand in hand...

D. Eden's picture

But of course, humans remain the same no matter where they live, and that means that there will always be those more interested in improving their own lot than that of the people they serve. I foresee problems for Trosanar, for it must be remembered by all leaders, whether elected or not, that they truly serve at the sufferance of their people. As the saying goes, people will eventually get the type of governance which they desire.

It sounds as though the Miners Guid has much to tell about the goings on of Lord Trosanar - Garia would do well to mine that source for intelligence, especially since she seems to have won the loyalty of both Yarling and Tanon, as has the Prince. Apparently, there has been much going on in his lands that is not known to the rest of the kingdom.

One can only wonder how they will eventually solve the issue of a place to build a landing for river barges so that they can transload the freight coming and going from Blackstone. One can easily see how Garia and Keren's relationship could become more important to the Kingdom than some tradition regarding the Prince's marriage. This, taken into account with the desire of the people to see them together should hopefully solve their problem. Hopefully the King and Queen will recognize this and accede to them being together.

Very interesting how the Dranakh continue to protect Garia. Also very interesting how the entire planet appears to be pieced together from dissimilar portions of ground - reminds me somewhat of The Ring of Fire and how a small section of West Virginia was somehow transported to Europe intact. Apparently, the movement of people and animals form Earth has not been the only tampering going on.

I am really looking forward to the next chapter!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Yup.

It seems that folks are the same all over the galaxy.

This isn't the same scenario as the Ring of Fire. Everything I have described has at least some reasonable basis in fact. After all, if you don't like those facts, I have others... :)

There's nothing particularly special going on with Trosanar either, compared to other nobles in Palarand. He's just doing what the nobility have always done in the past - look out for No 1.

I had originally intended to add the arrival at the castle to the end of this chapter but it became so complex I had to split the chapter. This *does* mean I have a chunk of it written, however there are potential medical issues which may delay it. I'll write a blog when I have more details.

Thank you for reading.

Penny

"It appears that greed and politics. . ."

"Once again go hand in hand."

Aye, a story as old as time and as new as tomorrow's headlines. Remember, a politician's first priority is the preservation of their power. That's why the general public's blind acceptance of the conservative lies (covid 19 is a great example) baffles me. Mind you, the liberals have some corkers that need explaining, just not to the scale that conservatives have perpetrated over the last 10 years or longer. As the old saw goes: How can you tell a politician is lying? His lips are moving.

There are occasionally good politicians and leaders. The king seems one, as does Duke Gilbanar, and the prince. OTOH, Trosanar and the leaders of Yod show there are evil leaders widely available. It appears to be an immutable law of nature. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Otherwise, you can't win, you can't break even, and they won't let you out of the game.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Another great chapter, Penny.

Another great chapter, Penny. I have to agree with Dallas, Trosanar is in for a world of trouble if he doesn't immediately change his ways (worst case is being charged as a common thief and executed.

I look forward with great anticipation to your next chapter.

Hugs,

Mark <3

The Princess Within Me.

Yes, she leaps with joy when ever an episode of this story is delivered !

I know there will likely be incidents along the way returning to the palace. I hope that the party fares well. It is quite interesting that the animals are protective.

Very good then.

Gwendolyn

HUM? PLOT COMPLICATIONS AHEAD!

As to the coming likely shortage of draft animals.

I quote.

>>
Garia shrugged. "I don't see how we can do anything else in the short term, Master Tanon. Unless you know a way to make dranakh breed large numbers of offspring we're stuck with the supply there is, and if everybody wants them then they will get expensive. I only offered a possible answer to getting those heavy wagons up these hills."
>>

Perhaps a dranak *mixer*, with low lighting, soft romantic music and wine in the drinking troughs?

-- GRIN --

So the Lord/Count is at a minimum greedy and possibly worse?

Just collecting fees/tolls his men had no right to collect could be seen as treason or at least undermining the King's authority. And it looks like others were right, Trosanar was trying to take over the road house by leaving men to *protect* it.

Also we have an absentee ruler in one land and another trouble maker in another...IE the threat if a wharf were built in the one land by the neighboring ruler. Seems the further from the King the bolder and less loyal/greedier the rulers are.

Containerization is a time honored idea. Just Garia has given them the key to extend it to all kinds of shipping not just some specialized use. The peg/locking system, cranes and such are the only big difficulties to work out and standardize.

Standardization is the KEY period. Once you have set measures and standardized dimensions progress is so much faster than all that one off stuff.

The falls or rapids on the river...place fpr a series of locks? Or locks and a bypass cannal? Water ransport is so much ore efficent it might be worth the transhippinng if they use her idea of standardized shippinh containers.

Garia was also roght, time for the POrince to *comeout* as this is now an offical Royal expedition as it were.

Also agree hte borders of Parland and of the Barony of Blackstone may HAVE to be expanded due to the insight Gari had about the underliing roak formartions and what that implied about the possible location of other ore and coal reserves.

So what foul plots await and how much longer can she and Keren keep their hands off each other?

-- snicker --

One thing is for certain. If they are to remain celibate at least until the capitol ... no low lighting, soft romantic music and wine in the drinking troughs, um tankards for those two.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I wonder, did the dranaks lie where they did to help protect Garia and the ladies?

P.P.S. The station at the high point of the line where engines were banked on the opposite ends of a section of a railroad was often named Summit or Climax.

NO SNICKERING!

John in Wauwatosa

No Snickering

You do realize that by specifically stating this, that people are NOW snickering don't you? :)

Also, based on previous Garia/Dranakh encounters. Yes, they did this just for that reason. Don't forget that dranakh seem to be semi-intelligent and telepathic.

John, John!

Now there are several reasons your post could look the way it does:

- You really ought to replace that keyboard;
- You really ought to have your eyes checked again;
- That Scotch was a quart not a pint;
- Get that Parkinsons checked out!

;)

Yep, I bet the reproduction rate of a creature that size is pretty low. This is why Garia wants to get the railroad started. Containers are going to be a significant intermediate step in that process.

Locks at the waterfalls, no. Garia examined that idea before and they decided that the volumes of water wouldn't be enough for locks (for that level of traffic).

Garia and Keren will have to keep their hands to themselves, at least for a while, since they will be watched continuously and accommodated in different parts of their hosts' homes. Don't worry, their time will come.

AND FINALLY, it's the frayen wot does the snickering around here!

Penny

What continuous delight

I really like this story, it's such a treat to witness the emerging and evolving of a society, learning and adapting new ideas and ways.

The underlaying threat, the budding romance, coming of age, the unresolved mystery of how and why coming to Palarand.

All elements in a grandiose telling of a fantasy cum science fiction. Agh, I can't get enough. Lovely reading material.

Thank you, Jo-Anne.

Thank You, Penny.

Another wonderful chapter to this magnificent Epic ! Bless you,Penny Lane, for taking the trouble to write some more of this wonderful tale, that transends our universe yet resembles it in an uncanny way. Superb sub-plots abound, really sharp characterization of the various individuals, plenty of unique local colour - everything one gets from a classic author writing stories of such complexity and inner truth that even schools and colleges teaching Eng Lit make them required reading and set the students to analysing them and writing their appreciation to pass their exams.

Today was my 76th birthday, and this was an unexpected extra birthday present for me so thank you, thank you, thank you ! My two daughters clubbed together to present me with an electronic device, about the size of a man's traditional wallet, called a Kindle. I am going to have to spend some time trying to find out how to use it and what for, now ! I have never even SEEN such a thing until now. I feel as alien as poor Garia must, in a future world. My oldest grandson, now 26, promises to call round and show me how to get it working.

Briar

Count no count!

Trosanar may be angling for demotion if not outright dispossession! I view of the fact that a Guildmaster has been demoted for his crookedness, I foresee a cleanup coming once Garia and Keren submit their reports to the King.

DJ

MIght not be so easy.

There is BIG difference between guildsmen and nobles. Guildsmen are about effectivness, trade agreements and money. Nobles stick together to defend their rights - that is whatever they considered their right. And King is Noble of nobles. Even in middle ages, kings were either voted out by noble houses, or came from whatever noblehouse was strongest. King who alienate his nobles is short very lived. He has to be careful, how to treat one of them, because, what can be done to one, can be done to others. But King also can´t allow to appear being weak. I think, this calls for steel fist in silk glove type of solution.

Agreement

I'm in agreement with you up to a point. It doesn't seem that Palarand has a nobility set up exactly like we have seen here on earth though.

There are a few families related to Robanar but it doesn’t seem to include all the little subdivision of rule we see.

A Count, which Trosanar appears to be, is slotted between a Baron/Baroness and a Marquesses. His ‘rank’ certainly didn’t increase much over what Garia holds and appears to be substantially less as grubby as he is portrayed.

Best,

DJ

Umm.. I don't entirely agree

Guildsmen are first and foremost about their rights, and trade -or guild- secrets which empower their rights. You could say they are the 'poor men's' answer to nobility and their rights. 'Poor men' because they had to establish their rights after the nobility already was an established and inherent part of society, and thus anyone not of the blood was a commoner, or in other words of poor means.

But yes, nobility is about their rights. While in the earliest of emerging nobility a duke or baron, or even an earl was not much more than the more entrusted king's followers chosen from the general populace because they had distinghuised themselves in the ever present war and skirmishes, and/or in the governing of conquered lands. Only centuries of succession, and instilling the belief they were different, slowly established this belief as fact.

Of course I can't judge about the succession rules of Palarand, because as of yet I've not seen much evidence of a religion, anything but an exclamation about 'the maker'. Which, I might add, I find highly refreshing. But in general, for European kings, and emperors, they are chosen with God's aid and divine judgement, and normally once installed can't be simply 'voted out of office'. We are talking monarchy here, enlightend monarchy at best, but it's not a democracy.

So I think, the king might be quite capable of displacing said Trosanar as an influential noble. Take away his title, or force him to relinquish his claims to his successor. He IS the king after all.

Just saying. :)

Jo-Anne

Historical examples

My home country can offer several - after death of Wenceslaus III in Olomouc city, after death of Louis II. Jagiellon and lastly after death of Mathias Habsburg in 1618 and mess coming of that resulted in 30-years war. In all three cases, nobility had great in that who would be next king. From England, I think nice example would be War of Roses.
So yes, Kings are chosen by the god, but great say in that choosing had nobility and church itself.
As for what might happen if ruler makes noble a peasant, look at Robert Jordan Wheel of Time, on Colavaere Saighan http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Colavaere

Oh I gladly concede

Of course nobles can be, might have been, still are, highly influential in the determining of who is to be the king ( or queen in some conventions ). Mostly when there is no heir apparent, and a little less common when there's been a power struggle.

But ultimately the ruling monarch is considered to be an absolute. Lined with the mantle of divine approval and autocracy, s/he alone shall rule and be obeyed.

That's why 'It's good to be the king!' :D

But as I've said. Palarand may have very different customs, and maybe a king is only king as long as he has the support from a majority of the nobility.

Quoted from Wikiquote : Found here

King Arthur: I am your king.
Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Arthur: [grabs Dennis] Shut up! Will you shut up?!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
Arthur: [shakes Dennis] Shut up!
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody Peasant!
Dennis: Ooh, what a giveaway!

Jo-Anne

I Didn't Go To The Link

joannebarbarella's picture

But I knew as soon as I read it where it came from,

Joanne

Well I didn't vote for you ....

.... was the dead giveaway.
One of my favourite films, and startlingly clever in its connections and commentaries. The more one studies it, the more one discovers gems otherwise overlooked.
I can also tell you that they produced (this was before CDs and tapes) a vinyl LP upon which the very early words were something like:
"Congratulations on purchasing the EXECUTIVE version of this record. Made from the finest extruded Peruvian polyvinyl, the hole in the centre has been crafted to fit exacly over your centre spindle ......."

Of course, the cunning buggers made the hole 1 millimetre too small in diameter, and you had to physically force the thing down for the first few plays!

Brilliant stuff.

Cheers

Di

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Keep in mind that when you

Keep in mind that when you look at England, the only _successful_ usupers or successors to the throne were related to the previous holder(s) of the throne. Also, the nobles didn't just choose whomever - they chose from the pool of available heirs to the throne. Most of the time, those times the nobles 'got rid' of a previous ruler, they were doing it by backing another claimant. They didn't kill the king, then go off and find another one. They had another one ready, who THEN killed the current king. (or Queen)

("You are Mary, Queen of Scots?" 'I am'. *Bump thudda bump bang wham*. "I think she's dead" 'No, I'm not.')

Most of those kind of wars were caused by dueling claimants for the throne - often something like an older sister (the heir) and a younger brother (who thought women shouldn't rule). Nobles then lined up behind one or the other - usually for their own reasons - and other countries, such as France or Austria, or territories such as the Germanies (a collective of princedoms, rather than a country) joined in for some perceived benefit.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Nice job.

Interesting that the tale-tellers have split.
All agog to hear the interchange with Lord T.

I will start on a Tranidor map, I believe I saw a Palarandi version lying around in the wodge of documents.

I suspected old Greedy-guts was going to try to annexe the roadhouse. Good for K showing his princely qualities.

I wonder if Lord T has ANY inkling of the hornet's nest he just might stir up - in the next chapter.

For which we are all waiting with bated breath, dear Penny ----- hint, hint, hint.

As usual, up to the high standards we have come to expect.

Thanks, as ever

Di

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Excellent as usual!

Instead of Mead, More Story, more story lol!

Vivien

Another great chapter :D

Always good to read more about Garia's adventures in Anmar. There was one part I didn't get. What did Keren and Garia mean when they said this:

"You and which army might that be?"

"Why, yours, of course! I'm not stupid, you know."

I don't get what Keren is referring to here. Could someone enlighten me please?

Cheers,

Angarato

Which army might that be?"

"You and which army might that be?" is a variation on our retort to a threat to beat us senseless is "You and what army?" They were just verbally sparring childishly.

Best

DJ

Ah ok.

I get that part now, but then Garia's next comment doesn't make much sense. Oh well, it's just some random banter to set the mood so to speak. It's not like not understanding it exactly makes much difference for understanding the rest of the story.

Time to introduce another concept

Eminent Domain or maybe Federalism. There is no other way of introducing something like a railroad otherwise. Every podunk noble along the railway will start demanding their share of fees for crossing their land. In the US there are of course easements and stuff so a precedent needs to be established.

If Trosanar can be lured into committing treason then that would fix his little red wagon.

As it is, isn't it Duke Gilbanar to keep Trosanar in line also as I believe he is Trosanar's liege lord?

Kim

Unnecessary

In a kingdom, (feudalism) all property not owned by the church was owned through the sufferance of the monarch. _Mostly_, the monarch would provide recompense for taking away property, unless it was being levied as a punishment.

I wouldn't be concerned about the railroad needing permission of the land holders. It would be like asking if they wanted the trade road to run through. I would expect that the stations would be run by the various overlords, however. (restaurants, hostels, etc)

My biggest concern would be maintaining the water towers necessary for steam engines. (They had fold down, pivoting spouts, then you pulled a chain for the valve, just like outside pool showers, or emergency showers) During the rainy season, no problem, but during the dryer part, you'd have to pump from a well or a local watercourse.

(piston pumps are pretty simple things)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Railways in the UK

Were built with the consent of the landowner, but it wasn't unheard of for them to impose conditions, ranging from the trivial (slapping their coat of arms on the parapet of a bridge) to the expensive (tunnelling under his land because he didn't want to see the trains!). Those two specific incidents happened in Coventry (Coat of Arms Bridge Road) and Ravenscar (unfortunately the gradient of the tunnel was too steep and several trains got stuck - unsurprisingly the line was a target of the Beeching cuts. The station also didn't get much business because the planned resort didn't materialise).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

"What of Trosanar? Does he

"What of Trosanar? Does he still weave his plans?" That sounds ominous, are these plans to rip people off more. Severel seemed to need an awful lot of ordering before he complied with the PRINCE, Trosanar's orders mean nothing compared to Keren's or the Kings for that matter.

Severel was shown the kings decree, it should be obvious that Severel's orders mean nothing after reading that.

One thing is for sure, there can be no letting down their guard while on Trosanar's land. I'd be wary of food there and I'd block n guard the sleeping quarters.

Great story, big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Greedy nobles

Ho hum, one Nobles uses bridge tolls as a means to control the activities of his neighbour and tries to establish a protection racket in a roadhouse that's not even on his territory, while his neighbour takes a very 'hands-off' approach to managing the inland portions of his territory - presumably being a governor of those regions in name only. The wonders of personalities and politics...

Extorionate tolls are probably not against the law, but the protection racket almost certainly is (even if it's only because it's operating in someone else's territory). It'll be interesting to see how Nobles are reprimanded, since for obvious reasons they have to be dealt with differently from commoners...

Meanwhile, containerisation should make trans-shipments easier as they just need to deal with a standard sized box (which obviously can contain more than several sacks) and move it by crane. At first, the cranes would be anchored to the wharf, but it's certainly possible over time (decades, particularly with oceanic trade) to build moveable ones (perhaps on rails) for when boats become big enough to make it unfeasible to load / unload from a single point.

Presumably Trosinar's opposition to a wharf is two-fold: first, it might make the town on the other side of the river more self-sufficient, so they have less need to visit Tranisor, second, a wharf might enable the setting up of a ferry service in competition with his toll bridge. I wonder whose lands are on the opposite side of the Haligo rapids - with the increase in coal traffic there's going to be some development around there - maybe even it will develop into a town that could attract some residents from Charzon's territory...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Containerization

Introducing containers into an animal powered transportation system, especially with the materials for construction being bulky and heavy, is going to compicate the dranak shortage. Wagons will have to be teamed or even double teamed to move the goods.

DJ

Nah.

We're not talking monster metal boxes here. More like demountable wagon beds. They would weigh a little more than your basic wagon but not enough to offset the potential advantages.

Penny

Yeah!

Their materials will be wood and wood is quite heavy. Notice Garia is talking about stacking the containers so that means heavy corner posts and a reinforced bed. That's so the bed has something to hold it together, along with the walls and with the cargo added, it is going to be much heavier than you think. The "peg" you mentioned are actually cammed locking lugs. They keep the container from shifting or bouncing off the chassis completely when a pothole is hit.

Dang good tale though.

Best,

DJ

Obviously, you haven't done a

Obviously, you haven't done a lot of woodworking.

Most wood isn't that heavy. People are just used to MDF board, plywood and particle board. All tend to be heavier than an equal amount of board feet of lumber. I'm not saying they'll be light, but 1" thick (or even 1/2 inch) pine/softwood boards will work just fine, and they don't even have to be significantly finished. (oiling will make them last longer, however) The frame would be heavier; I'd expect them to be boxes with ribs around the outside.

I just built a set of shelves using solid wood. It's 7 feet tall, six feet wide, and two feet deep. Weight wise, if it weren't so awkward, I could pick it up myself. (it's still heavy, it's just not extreme). If I'd built it with MDF board, it would take two people to do anything with it at all.

The _containers_ don't need locking lugs. They just -use- locking lugs when putting them together in racks, or locking down to a frame trailer (sometimes even flatbeds). For something like this, pegs would work fine - they aren't looking at hitting potholes at 75 MPH.

If Penny wants exact pictures and descriptions, I'm currently sitting next to a yard with about.... 300? 400? containers of various lengths and types. One of the things that made containerization work is the trading of empty containers around between companies, and the balancing of trade to make sure you get your containers back :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Sleeping dranakhs

Melange's picture

Teasing, teasing, Penny! That was a finger-waggle at our paranoia if I ever saw one, with the opening bit :D

The part with the dranakh - basically a hippopotamus-dinosaur - sleeping by the front door made me laugh. It scene was cute, so thank you for that :)

A Dinopotamus....

I like that.

^ ^
=o=

Currently my fav serial!

I can't wait for each installment. I admit sometimes to checking more than once in a day, on the off-chance that you have posted.

One thing I am a tad confused about. Doesn't the roadhouse belong to Garia? Wasn't it built at her direction, on land ceded to her by the Duke?

If I have that right, then perhaps the Count's encroachment becomes a lever she can use in negotiating with him. Forgiving the attempted annexation in exchange for right of passage for the coal wains, etc.

Hugs and much appreciation!

Mischief

^ ^
=o=

Roadhouses

Or "service areas" or whatever...

would seem to be provided for the public good, for the use of travelers on the major highways of the Valley states (and beyond). The land itself still belongs to whichever noble rules over it. The custom seems to be that the landowner becomes responsible for fitting out and staffing the roadhouses, although as usual there would be any number of small businesses running booths or huts at the sites for a small fee.

The roadhouse which Garia had rebuilt replaced an earlier one which had probably been burned down by Trogan's men. The land itself is a forest which is a private hunting preserve of Duke Gilbanar, but it is likely he has never personally visited it, and as there are no towns, farms or mines it is probably just managed by a few foresters. Blackstone provides the staff and provisions since it is an essential stop on the way to their town and only their town.

Garia's only real involvement was to point out that, with the huge anticipated increase in traffic because of the coal, just replacing the old buildings wouldn't be enough. That's why she had Bezan work out a flexible design that could be expanded as time goes on. Keren had specific authority from Uncle Gil to permit Garia to commission the extended works.

The count's encroachment? Oh, yes, there will be an accounting for that.

Thank you for commenting.

Penny

I have an idea to make the accounting really hurt

This reminds me of the situation in New York State in the US where Robert Moses was given charge of putting in a whole new highway system. He would be especially rude by deliberately routing the roads as close to the front doors of those people he did not care for. It would be interesting to see the railroad run 100 feet of Trosanar's castle :)

Speaking of Trosanar, I doubt his standing in the eyes of his people will improve once Garia's generosity with her own people spreads.

Kim

Good

Good as usual.
Little reminder, in the end the amount of power of a noble is proportional to the size of his army.
Feudalism leads to lots of infighting if the central army is weak and all nobles plus their vassals have large armies. See Game of Thrones for an example in fiction.
This was why Toranaga disbanded the armies of the nobles, leaving a lot of samurai unemployed. Of course he could do this only because HIS army was bigger.

There was more infighting

There was more infighting between nobles. To stop it, the king would often summon up the levies, which required the nobles to provide a certain number of their fighting men/troops/knights to the King. That would bring their fight to a screeching halt. If they didn't cough up the people, the King could/would yank the nobles' titles -and land.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I just added a map of Tranidor

This is a closer-up view than the overview given by the Palar Valley map.

Not all streets are shown, of course.
The grey areas represent built-up areas, a mix of residential, warehousing, and light industrial.
The main roads are shown, along with the guard/tax posts and of course the bridges.
Some river traffic refuges/docks are shown. They are mostly (at the moment) used by fishermen.
The one to the east of the river, south east of Tranidor and therefore in the other Baron's land, is for the fishermen of that community there. It is small enough not to enrage Lord Trosanar.

Lord Trosanar's 'keep' is shown and the two baileys that surround it, with the fortified walls, and the major gates.
Your imagination will have to decide where any posterns might be.

There may be a map of the entire continent to come, but that is some way off.

Penny and I do not see any need, at this moment, for any further maps.

Any divergencies from that which Penny has described in her story are entirely my fault.

Enjoy!

Diana.

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Let Sleeping Dranakhs Lie

terrynaut's picture

I'm really, really liking the dranakhs. They sit just below Snep in my favorites list. If I were Garia, I would've gone up and stroked their necks in appreciation.

The greed had to pop up somewhere, sometime. Now that it's here, I hope to see it at least adequately controlled. Some people don't like regulations but there's a good reason for them. Greed needs to be contained. *sigh*

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

For readers' attention

I know some of you don't read blogs, or at least not my blog. However, I've just put a new one up and I would ask you all to take note of the content.

This does not mean that SEE will be abandoned, although I feel I may have to make some precautionary plans in case things do go horribly wrong. It just means there may be even longer delays betwen chapters, regrettably.

Thank you in advance for your forebearance.

Penny

PS I would ask you not to add to this comment but go to the blog instead, as commenting here would be sort of off-topic.

I can see that if Naughty

I can see that if Naughty Trosanar is full of greed and lust after the yellow stuff, then he's going to get his comeuppance and have his titled redacted.
If it was transferred to our Noble Heroine, 'Garia the Wonderful', then she may have enough kudos to be eligible to marry the Prince.
Duchess Garia and Prince Keren may then marry and wharf themselves into a frenzy.

Concerning the containers.
The bed of the wagons need not even be there. Just a central longitudinal bar and two cross trees with two axles/wheels beneath. The containers would have their own inherent rigidity. Clevis pins can be inserted through the pegs if there's a dislocation problem.
(The central bar could even be extendable for longer containers.)
This would allow empty wagons to be stacked for multiple empty transport (peg holes in the axle beneath) remove wheels and hang them on the bar.
Once the industrial revolution takes hold, the cartwheels which are rather bulky/heavy can be lightened somewhat and set on decent axles and hub bearings and steel leaf springs.

Hope your health problems are soon sorted.
Thank you for such a wonderful tale. It's better than Jean M Auel's 'Clan of the Cave-bear' trilogy.

Lord

That lord is going to cause trouble and so need a smack down by the king.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Mother nature's guards

Jamie Lee's picture

Severel is another stick in the mud when it comes to a woman's place. And it seems whatever plans he was given were thwarted by the plans Garia and Keren had their guards run.

Severel's men had no jurisdiction at the roadhouse but illegally collected coin on Garia's land. Maybe there should have been a pyre to drive the point home that illegal activities will not be tolerated. But they made the point when the purse was given to those in the roadhouse. Hope a certain noble has a soft pillow, he'll need it.

They have got to come up with something that either bypasses Trosanar completely, or kick him out of his office. A noble only interested in coin is useless to those in the land he is supposed to care for.

Severel sure was upset when the coal wagons didn't enter the city, might there have been a plan to somehow steal the coal?

Are they going to be safe in Trosanar's castle? That guy sound like a first class heel, one who needs taken to task by Robanar. In fact, all the nobles need taken to task, given the option to stand aside and not interfere with anything, or get replaced.

Others have feelings too.