Somewhere Else Entirely -94-

Printer-friendly version

The party's departure from Castle Tranidor does not go smoothly as there are interruptions, first from Kalikan and then from unexpected visitors. Garia finds time to explain a pivotal financial institution before the party finally leave for the south.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

94 - Money Matters


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Keren started awake, one hand reaching for the dagger beneath his pillow. As his eyes opened, he saw Denard near the chamber window, one hand raised to reassure the Prince.

It was barely daylight. Keren relaxed immediately and then sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. It was only then that he noticed the second man, in castle colors, crouched in the fireplace making up a pile of kindling ready to light.

"Uh... what time is it?"

"About a quarter after the dawn bell, Highness," Denard replied. "Our apologies for waking you, but I am told it is necessary to light fires in certain of the castle chambers every morning."

"Every morning?" Keren asked, still only half awake. "Even in the hot weather?"

The castle servant rose and bowed. "It is so, Highness," he explained. "If there is no draft made by means of these fires then the air can become very foul. We do not know the reason why."

"Oh. Thank you. Carry on."

"As you command, Highness."

As the servant resumed his task Keren switched his attention to Denard.

"Everything quiet last night?"

"Aye, Highness. I have not heard of anything you should have been told about."

"Good."

Keren swung his legs off the bed and sat on the side, considering his choices.

"I think I may as well rise, now that I am awake. I'll join the men outside for our Tai Chi session and breakfast will be ready by the time we finish."

The servant rose, flames flickering behind him in the grate.

"Highness, forgive me for asking, do you yet shave? I can bring hot water if you desire."

Keren rubbed a hand across the sparse stubble on his chin and grinned at the man.

"Aye, I am no bluebeard but there are bristles here to remove. Yes, bring me water, if you would."

* * *

When Keren strode into the dining chamber later that morning it was to find some diners already waiting, including Trosanar and Lasalenne. The count was dressed ready to travel, in well-used and comfortable riding gear while his wife wore a more formal day gown. Trosanar made a respectful bow to the Prince but Lasalenne's curtsey was more thoughtful.

"Your Highness," Trosanar began. "I observed you exercising with your men this fine morning. Is this a regular activity of the palace guard?"

Keren nodded. "It is, my lord. I regret that I have to tell you it is another of Milady Garia's ideas, and one we are in complete favor of. Although the exercises look simple they are of benefit to all both young and old. Many of our people in Blackstone have also taken up the practise."

"Do you expect all to follow your example, Highness?"

"I would not demand it, Trosanar, and there are circumstances when the exercises would not be possible, convenient or practical. But I would commend you to try. For such as we who can spend time in the saddle it prevents stiffness and many of the aches a rider can suffer. That is my own experience, in any event." Keren looked around. "I see our women are not yet arrived."

"Highness," Lasalenne said, "they but approach. I deem Lady Garia has had an awkward night."

Garia led the other women into the chamber and came towards the group. She was dressed for traveling in a palace tunic and circle skirt but it was plain that she would not be riding her frayen today. Her face was pale, with only spots of color on the point of each cheek. There were rings under her eyes. Keren couldn't bear to see her looking like that so stepped forward to take her in his arms and comfort her.

She recoiled.

"Easy," she muttered. "It is all too sensitive. Take it easy."

Gently, she approached him and wrapped her arms around his waist, sagging with a sigh as her head touched his chest. His arms went around her shoulders to support her.

"That bad, eh? Are you going to be able to travel today? Should we delay?"

"I'll be okay in a minute," she muttered. "Assuming I can get some food to stay down. The castle healers have been great, really."

Remembering where she was, she pushed away from Keren and attempted a curtsey to Trosanar, who waved a hand to excuse her.

"I am sorry to see you suffer so, my lady," he said. "Shall you join us at table? I would not wish to distress you further."

"I'll manage, my lord," she replied.

Trosanar regarded the pair carefully. He had had many of his preconceptions shattered since the arrival of the Prince and his party and he was still adjusting to the change. His original notion that they were a pair of young, inexperienced adolescents who had traveled into the wilder parts of the Kingdom for adventure had turned out to be very far from the truth. The Prince had shown a surprising maturity for one so young and he had never met anyone like the Baroness. Her blunt and confident descriptions of what Tranidor might be like in ten year's time had shaken the count considerably.

"If you are sure, milady," he said to Garia, "then perhaps it would be better were you seated. Come, let us take our places and food shall be put before us."

The group drifted toward the table to find their seats, all except Senidet who stood, uncertain.

"Senidet, my dear," Lasalenne said, "you shall eat with us today. It was discourteous to send you away last night, when you were of the Prince's party. I will apologize to you now for my husband's lack of manners. Here, you shall sit by me and tell me what you hope to do when you reach Palarand."

Senidet bobbed a curtsey. "Thank you, my lady."

As was often the case, the first warming mug of pel improved Garia's spirits and she even managed to eat some food. The conversation around the table was reasonable but everybody knew that Trosanar would be leaving with the Prince because he had overstepped his authority, so there was a certain reserve in the air. Lasalenne was astounded to find that Senidet was going to become a guildswoman.

"Why should we not do as the men may, milady?" Senidet argued. "There are many crafts and trades which do not rely on the brute strength of a man, where a woman's careful touch can be as good as that of a man. And I am told that there will be new trades and specialties where a woman's attention to detail may exceed that of any man."

"What manner of trades and specialties do you describe, my dear?"

"Well, I don't know, yet, milady, since I have not yet arrived. Lady Garia, perhaps you can explain?"

"Certainly, Senidet. In the future the new machines which will make everybody's lives easier will be both large and small. The larger items, of course, we'll leave to the men, but the smaller stuff can be made by men and women. There will be openings for many young men and women to invent and make the new devices and we'll need all the people we can get, because once everyone finds out about the new things they'll all want them." She waved her fork. "Like these, for example. Now, I don't know yet what you'll be doing when we get back to the palace but it might be mechanical or it might be electrical, or you might be making engineering drawings or instruction booklets or any of a thousand new things we're all going to need."

Trosanar raised an eyebrow. "Instruction booklets? The smith's daughter is no scribe, surely?"

"My lord, Lady Merizel is the daughter of a baron but she is to become a journeywoman scribe when we reach the city. Senidet herself has been helping her father with his forge work for many years and can read and interpret the drawings his guild sends him with no trouble." Garia smiled at the count. "We're not talking of Senidet scribing books, though. What we'll do in future is to write the books once and then print them off, many copies at a time, on the new printing presses. Don't you have some examples of printing here already, my lord?"

"Uhhh, Lady Garia, how can one tell if something is printed, as you call it? I do not understand what you mean."

Keren said, "Were you not given a sheet of paper describing the Garian numbers, my lord? I remember Duke Gilbanar handing them out when we met at Dekarran."

"Oh! Highness, I did! I was more interested in the material that was used, I did not pay much attention to what was written, I must confess. It was a busy meeting, as I recall. That was paper, was it not? Can printing only be done on paper, then?"

Garia replied, "You can print or write by hand on anything you wish, my lord. Paper, parchment, anything. For printing, it just has to be flat enough to go in the presses. But the whole point of printing is that, once you have the whole page set up ready, you can just keep printing fresh sheets from it. We are already producing booklets with diagrams and recipes for the healers and instruction manuals on how to make and run steam engines. I know that the tables needed to regulate the bells will also be printed in future since the letters are so much easier to read."

"And these sheets can be made in such numbers, then? Is that the secret of printing?"

"One of them, my lord," Keren explained. "A sheet can be printed in what, a hand of moments? Then, while it is hung up for the ink to dry, the printers are already laying out the next sheet ready to be printed. The other advantage is the reduction in mistakes. Once a page is made up, a sample is printed and checked thoroughly for errors. When it is approved printing can begin. If the same document were to be copied out by scribes, every single copy may have errors, a different set of errors for every copy perhaps. So printing ensures that what you read is as reliable as the original document."

"Highness, you amaze me. It seems there is much more to these new inventions than I had supposed. And I must confess, your own knowledge of such matters is impressive."

Keren shrugged. "I find some of the new processes to be of interest, my lord, and I was present when Lady Garia described them to the assembled guildsmen. But no-one will be obliged to learn anything new unless it will be required for their use by themselves. I would not ask you, for example, to learn how to print, since you will have your own staff to do that for you, but some of it you may find of interest for its own sake."

"As you say, Highness."

As the servants were clearing the breakfast dishes away the main chamber doors opened and two men entered, both dressed in Trosanar's colors. They approached the table and the older man saluted.

"Highness," Trosanar said, "this is First Quadrant Pargrum and File Leader Yorth who will accompany us south to Dekarran. Pargrum has served my father as well as myself and you may rely on him, he is an honorable man."

"Quadrant," Keren acknowledged with a nod.

"Highness." Pargrum turned to Trosanar. "My lord, all is about ready outside. The baggage of His Highness and his party have been loaded and the camp of their men is being struck. We may depart whenever you are ready, my lord."

"Give us a quarter bell or so, would you?" Trosanar instructed. "There are one or two minor matters to settle before we leave."

"As you command, my lord."

As Pargrum began to turn away Keren stopped him. "Quadrant, I must warn you, this journey will not be just a ceremonial ride." Pargrum's eyes flashed with resentment at the thought that he should act his master's jailer, but his expression changed as Keren continued, "There is a very small but real risk that we may be attacked along the road. There have already been a number of... incidents... in our journey so far and you and your men should be aware that there may be real work for them to do as we travel. I would not want your lord's safety to be risked because you did not know of the possible danger."

Pargrum saluted again. "Highness, I thank you for your warning. I will ensure that the men take their responsibilites seriously."

As Pargrum and Yorth made their way back outside they were passed by a servant, running in from the door. This man bowed to Keren and Trosanar before speaking to his master.

"My lord, there are some men at the door who insist on speaking with the Prince and Baroness. I told them that your party was about to leave but they asked that I brought word to you before you made to depart."

"Some men? Who are they? Do you know any?"

"My lord, one of them is a miner from the local guildhall." Trosanar scowled. "Another is the Master of the Town Watch, also the trader Tanon and another who I believe is a moneylender."

Trosanar looked at Keren, who decided, "It is not so urgent that we depart immediately, is it? These people did not know we had arrived in Tranidor and this will be their only opportunity to meet us. Let us spend a bell or two, perhaps, finding out what they want and we may satisfy their needs. There is yet time for us to travel a distance along the road once our work here is finished."

"As you say, Highness." Trosanar turned to the servant and said, "Bid them enter, then take a message to Pargrum and to the Prince's camp telling them of the delay. The men can find something to do while they await our coming."

The servant bowed and departed. Most of those who had been seated around the breakfast table stood and took their leave, making room for the newcomers. Trosanar requested fresh pel for his visitors. Shortly a small group of men were ushered into the room and made obeisance toward Keren and Trosanar before the Prince bid them join the others at table. Mugs were served and the servants withdrew.

Tanon made the introductions. "Highness, this is Jalmond, the Master of the Town Watch. I met him yesterday evening at my lodgings and it was then he discovered that you and Milady Garia had arrived in Tranidor. He mentioned sketches you had made during the trials held in Blackstone and wanted to give you and milady the latest news." Tanon gestured to the other man they didn't know. "This is my good friend Moshan, who provides coin and financial services for my operations in Tranidor. He is the person who is handling Milady's letters of credit, and he was particularly interested in some of the ideas she has mentioned in her letters to him. If it will not delay our departure too much, I thought that it would be useful for him to meet face to face so that she can satisfy his curiosity."

"You did right, Master Tanon." Keren addressed the men. "I am, as you can see, Prince Keren and this is Lady Garia, Baroness Blackstone. Beside her is her secretary, Lady Merizel."

The moneylender looked at Garia with surprise. "My lady, I had not expected you to be so young."

Garia forced a smile. "I hear that a lot." She turned to Keren. "Would you ask the questions, please? I'm still feeling a bit fragile."

To Moshan's questioning gaze, Keren replied, "Lady Garia endures the fate of all women under Kalikan this day. We will do what we may to ease her discomfort." He turned to Jalmond. "Watchmaster, I had all but forgotten those sketches. You have information for us?"

"Aye, Highness, I do, but perhaps you might tell me more of what lies behind them before I speak. I have read the report of the trials in Blackstone but they barely list the crimes of evil men and the sentences made upon them."

"As you will." Keren then described, briefly, what had happened when they had originally arrived in Blackstone and the events which followed. He explained that some of the men had traveled into Tranidor from time to time to dispose of stolen goods and animals.

"Ah." Jalmond nodded. "It is as I suspected, Highness. These men are known to us - were known, I should say - and I am glad they are no longer alive to continue their misdeeds. The names you give them are not those they used in Tranidor but that is not so surprising. We suspected that they preyed on lone travelers but could prove nothing. You say they may have hidden coin here in Tranidor, perhaps with a confederate? Now that we know what has happened, we will attempt to track down those whom they sold beasts and gear to and try and find out what happened to their profits."

Moshan looked embarrassed. "Highness, it may be that I am one of those who you seek. I can only assure you that if that was so then I did not know that any coin these men may have given me was obtained illegally."

"How could you?" Keren asked. "If a man comes to you and asks you to turn his coin into a letter of credit, then you are no judge, are you? You cannot assume that all who approach you are criminals."

"Indeed not, Highness. My clients are among the most respectable in the town and I endeavor to follow all the laws that apply to such matters."

Trosanar stirred. "I have used Master Moshan's services myself on occasion. But there are others who may not be so careful whom they deal with."

"As you say, my lord," Moshan agreed. "If you will give us leave, I will pursue this matter with Master Jalmond. Such dealings as you describe can only lower the reputation of all involved."

It was Trosanar's turn to look embarrassed. "Ah, you may proceed, Master Moshan, as you deem fit. I am departing for Dekarran immediately, leaving the governance of the town in the hands of the Countess. You may apply to her for any further assistance and information while I am away."

Moshan looked surprised again but kept his mouth shut. Jalmond said, "We already know the associates of these people, Highness, and the places where they used to meet. What shall you wish of us?"

Keren thought. "These would be people buying and selling the proceeds of robberies and possibly even of murder. Watchmaster, treat them as you would any criminal you find in the town."

"As you command, Highness."

Moshan could barely contain himself with curiosity. "Milady, I came to learn more of this idea you call a bank. It seems both similar to what I provide but different. The letters you wrote to me explain much, but I am missing some essential part."

Garia asked, "Master Moshan, I'm not sure exactly how you do what you do, but I'm assuming that you are just a one-man business, is that right?"

"Aye, milady, that is so, though I do have clerks and scribes working for me. You mean that I provide the coin to lend from my own coffers, do you not?"

"That's right. Well, I can only describe how a bank operates in my own lands, and I have to add that I didn't really make use of a bank myself, because I'm not yet old enough to do so. But the basic principle is fairly simple, I think. Think of a bank as a company of people who group together to borrow money from some people who have a surplus and then lend it to others. You lend money out at a slightly bigger rate than you borrow it and the bank lives on the difference."

Moshan nodded. "Aye, milady, that is how my business works." He frowned. "I can see the benefit of having more than one person, the company as you name it, running the business, but there is more to it than that, I believe."

"Oh, yes. The idea is that the bank looks after your money for you, rather than you having to keep it all in your own house where people can steal it or it can get mislaid. What you do is give most of your money to the bank for safe-keeping, except for a small amount you need for day-to-day expenses, and then the bank keeps a record of what they hold on your behalf. When you need more, to buy food say or to pay a tradesman, you can go to the bank and draw more out or you could instead give the other party a special letter of credit we call a check. This is a bit of... parchment or paper... with the date, your name, the payee's name and the sum owed on it. The other party then brings the check to the bank and one of three things can happen. He can take all of the money owed, as cash, I mean coin, just as he would do now, he can pay the check into his own account at the bank or he can take part payment."

Trosanar looked confused. "Lady Garia, this seems a complicated way of paying someone the coin they are owed. Why should I not just hand my tradesman a bag of coin as I do now?"

Garia's smile was genuine this time. "Because, my lord, it means that your tradesman has to walk through town with a bag of money in his hand, whereas a check is just a document which is useless except to the payer and payee. Much safer and easier to carry. There's another good reason why this works, as well, and that's because the coin, as you call it, is being used out in the town instead of sitting in a chest in your treasury. This way the actual bits of metal stay in circulation for others to use."

Horran grunted. "My lord, I agree with Lady Garia here. One of the local miners' complaints is that, while their customers are yet ready to buy their ores and services, there is no coin for them to pay with."

Jalmond nodded agreement. "My lord, it is so. You have much of the town's coin hidden away in your treasury where it is of no use to anyone else. Our businesses suffer for it."

Trosanar was bewildered. "But, the coin is the taxes that have been collected. I do not understand how I can keep the taxes yet not keep the coin."

Keren said, "This is the essential point, gentlemen, of a bank, and that is to separate the coin that we use from day to day from the wealth that it might represent. If such a bank as Lady Garia proposes holds your wealth for you, then the bank will keep an exact account of how much you may pay in or take out. Once you have paid the coin into the bank, it then becomes available for others to spend in the town."

"But..." Jalmond said slowly, "If I understand you correctly, milady, then logically the bank will hold most of the town's coin, will it not? Will this make such a business a target of thieves and robbers?"

Garia nodded. "Oh, yes, it will. Banks in my lands are usually very thick stone buildings with protected strong rooms. One reason is to keep the money safe and the other is to keep the records safe. Accounts will be written down and that makes them vulnerable to fire, of course."

Trosanar said, "Highness, let me see if I can understand how this bank would work for me. I would give -" he shuddered, "- all my coin to this company who would keep a record of it for me. Then, when I desire to pay someone, I would write a check to give to the tradesman who would take it to the bank and receive the coin he was owed. Is that right?"

Keren replied, "Aye, that is so."

Garia added, "You wouldn't send all your money to the bank, my lord. You'll still want to keep some ready cash here to pay people like your armsmen, for example. They'll be spending their pay in the town, in the markets and taverns, so there would be no point handing them a bit of parchment. When your funds look like they are getting low you write a check for cash to the bank and send some men to collect the coin. Same as when someone pays in their taxes, you send the coins to the bank and get a receipt for it from them, which will also tell you exactly how much they hold for you."

Trosanar muttered. "It all sounds complicated, milady. But you may be right, if the money is sitting, as you say, in chests in my treasury it is both a worry to me and an inconvenience to the town." He looked up at Garia. "Is there any profit in this for me? Will the bank pay me for the use of my coin?"

"Of course, my lord. It would not be a large sum but enough to make your use of the bank worth while."

Moshan added, "As milady says, my lord. You are essentially lending the bank money, for use by others, and the bank will pay you for the privilege." He turned to Garia. "Milady, your description implies that many may have accounts with such a bank. This would mean more scribes, more clerks."

Garia nodded. "Yes, probably more than you have now. But it won't be so bad, right at the start. Most people will still be using cash, er, coin, just as they do now. It's only the bigger sums of money that would be handled this way to begin with, say the replacement of a window or buying a frayen, that kind of thing. But the main point is it keeps the bulk of the coinage in circulation for others to use." She had a thought. "If he wanted, my lord Trosanar could become a partner in the bank rather than just a customer. He would advance part of his treasure as a stake to be used to lend to others and he'd get a bigger return than if he just opened an account. The same is true of anyone who had a spare sum of money to invest. There are always people who need to borrow money, for new projects, for example or to make repairs or settle sudden debts."

Trosanar suddenly looked thoughtful. "You give me much to consider, my lady."

Lasalenne spoke up for the first time. "Garia, dear, in the castle we keep separate accounts for different parts of the business. If all our coin goes to the bank, how would we know how much to allocate to say, food, or fodder, or building repairs?"

"There is no reason at all why you couldn't have separate accounts at the bank, my lady," Garia explained. "Or you could just keep your own reckoning here like you do now. If you do it at the bank you'd just have a different account number on the checks for each account."

Moshan burst out, "You are the one who has given us the Garian numbers! I did not make the connection until now. My Lady, all Alaesia owes you gratitude for this wonderful idea. I cannot tell you what a difference it has made to my business. Everything is so much easier to do now!"

"Uh, it really wasn't my idea, Master Moshan. We've used numbers like those for centuries. But it was something you really needed here to help you all face the future. The easy use of numbers for math is going to be essential, whether you are a nobleman, a banker or a builder of bridges."

Trosanar frowned. "Garian numbers? I remember now, that was what was on that sheet of paper we were given at Dekarran!" He shook his head. "I remember, I looked at it but saw many strange symbols I did not understand. We were busy, I put the document aside and forgot it in the press of other business. Highness, I apologize for my forgetfulness."

"Think nothing of it, my lord. Much happened while we were at Dekarran."

"Indeed, Highness. Perhaps I may receive instruction in these new numbers as we travel? I may not be as fond of accounting as Master Moshan here but my own holdings must be administered properly. If there is any means to ease my burden then I will gladly pursue it."

"Of course, my lord. Merry, have you any spare sheets of the number document with you? I would also leave a copy with the countess before we leave."

Merizel thought. "Highness, the spare paper will already have been packed. I have one copy in my document case for my own use, that I can leave with the countess. Once we reach our stop for tonight I can seek out any further copies for my lord's use."

"As you will, Merry. Master Moshan, you had a question?"

"Aye, Highness. I can see the usefulness of this check method Milady Garia describes but that still means that most people have to hold or carry heavy coin about with them. From mentions in her letters to me milady suggests that her own people do not do this any more. Surely, milady, you cannot conduct all business using checks?"

"Well, sort of, Master Moshan," Garia replied. "Alongside the checking system we have another similar system which works almost the opposite way. What we use is something like an anonymous letter of credit we call a Treasury Bill. These are printed on special paper, to protect against forgery, by the government and issued by the millions to everyone to use instead of gold and silver. They don't have anyone's name on them and they are for standard amounts people might want to use to buy and sell things. For very small purchases we still use coins, of course, but for larger amounts dollar bills are what everybody uses."

"Dollar bills?"

"Oh, a dollar is what we call our money, Master Moshan. One dollar is probably worth about... two feniks, I guess. I don't think you can really compare the values, though. We print dollar bills in ones, fives, tens, twenties, fifties and hundreds. You simply use them instead of coin."

"But... your money is entirely paper, then? Is there no gold to correspond with these... bills?"

"There is, and it's usually kept in special vaults in guarded... castles. But each bill guarantees that if you were to take it to the treasury, the government will give you the value in gold, if you insisted. Nobody does, of course. It's far easier to hold and carry dollar bills than it is a great heavy bag of gold coins."

A light dawned on Keren's face. "So that's what those were!"

Garia looked at him.

"In your wallet, when you first came to the palace, there were two sheets of paper we didn't understand. Now I realize, those must have been these dollar bills you describe!"

She nodded. "That's right. I had two ten dollar bills and some small change." She made a face. "Then Morlan went and stole the wallet. I got the wallet back but the money had gone. It's no use to anyone on Anmar, of course."

"As you say. And I agree, a handful of bills is easier for all to carry and use than a bag of coin would be. But it will take a long time for such a system to be introduced in Palarand, I deem."

"Oh, yes. To begin with, the quality of paper-making would have to improve greatly, and then the printing process has to develop so that you can end up with bills that can't be faked easily. But it is almost certain to come in time."

"You describe our future, milady," Trosanar observed.

"Sort of, my lord. All I can tell you is what happened to us in my own world. What happens here on Anmar is almost certainly going to be different to that both because your society is different than ours was and because I'm giving out hints where we went wrong."

Trosanar nodded. "As you say, milady. Much is now made plain that I did not pay attention to before."

Garia stood suddenly, causing everybody else to rise as well.

"Highness, my lord, I beg your leave. I am... indisposed."

"Of course, milady. Lasalenne, will you attend Milady Garia? We have taxed her enough with our questions."

Garia smiled as Lasalenne came to take her arm. "Thank you, my lady. Do you think your healers would let me have a little more of that green stuff? It seems to do the trick."

"Of course, my dear. Come, let us attend your needs."

Trosanar watched with the others as the women retired.

"Highness, it pains me when I see our women suffer so. How does milady travel this day? Surely, not in a saddle?"

"I don't think so, my lord. It is four days to Dekarran, she will likely spend them all on a wagon bench."

Trosanar winced. "A rough ride, Highness."

Keren shrugged. "It is what she did on our journey here. She even managed to ride the last day, though that was not so successful."

"Highness, if you will permit me, I shall offer a carriage for the use of milady and her maids." Trosanar gave a wry grimace. "I will be traveling the same journey, after all. The carriage can return to Tranidor with me or my remains, as the Lord Gilbanar determines."

Keren hesitated. The addition of another vehicle meant more drivers and animals, making their caravan even larger than the original intent. Finally he nodded.

"My lord, I thank you for your offer which I will accept. It will ease her journey, I have no doubt." He smiled at Trosanar. "I doubt not you will be judged fairly by Duke Gilbanar at your journey's end. I do not think you need fear a heavy fate."

"Thank you, Your Highness. With your permission?"

Keren nodded and Trosanar spun to a servant, ordering a carriage, four frayen and a driver to be made ready immediately.

After the interruption was concluded the men settled down at the table again to wait, fresh pel in front of them.

"She is a remarkable woman, is she not?" Trosanar remarked. "One so young, and yet so knowledgeable. This is why she is sought by others, I deem?"

"Aye, my lord. But she tells us that she is not remarkable in her own world, that all women have like qualities. We wonder if we have done our own fair folk a disservice by treating them as we have. What talents are we missing, simply because we dismiss them as a woman? Mistress Senidet here is proof of that."

"Highness, I begin to wonder what else we may have missed through custom and precedent. She is sure to change Palarand in the future by her example. It will be difficult for older folk as myself to accept such changes, we are too used to our present ways."

"I don't think you need worry too much, my lord. The King and Queen recognize what she brings us and will attempt to ensure that we obtain the benefits of her knowledge while we find our own ways to reduce the problems they may cause."

Horran said, "These early days will be expensive, my lord. We have an avian-and-the-egg problem where we must begin new construction in order to make the new materials to sell to pay for the construction itself. We are fortunate that milady funds the initial expansion of mines in Blackstone and steel-making elsewhere."

"She does? How is this possible? Did she bring treasure with her from wherever she came, then?"

"Only what was in her head, my lord," Keren explained. "But some of the ideas she brought are among the simplest, like forks, paper, and printing, and they have already paid rich rewards. The guildsmen fairly pay her the usual portion as her design right and it has made her a rich woman already. She funded the new roadhouse on the Blackstone road entirely out of her own earnings."

Trosanar looked startled. "So much coin, then? I did not realize..."

Moshan told him, "My lord, I have handled several letters of credit for milady, to provide funds for miner's contracts, wagon and dranakh purchase and materials for the roadhouse. All were countersigned by the Queen and I deem that Milady Garia has already spent twice the worth of your own holdings, if not three times as much."

Trosanar stared at the moneylender in disbelief.

Tanon gave a small smile. "My lord, there are other means of making money than by taxing people. Some of milady's coin comes my way and my business, and those of others like me, are better for it. By her gifts she enriches us all."

"Master Tanon, Highness, I am humbled. It seems the world turns and I did not know it. You have given me much to think about as we journey."

Keren replied, "My lord Trosanar, she has given us all much to think about.There will be much change to come to the Valley states and I deem we shall all see such changes in the next several years to come. The King has realized that Lady Garia was sent to us for this purpose and accepts that what is to come is inevitable. For myself, the hints of what could be are sufficient for me to desire what knowledge she offers us. I know that some would rather the world stayed as they have always known it but that doesn't really happen, does it? The world turns, men and women grow older, some die and more are born. All that Lady Garia brings to us are ideas which would happen eventually were she not here to guide us."

"As you say, Highness."

Keren turned. "Master Moshan, you look thoughtful."

"Aye, Highness. I deem the idea of a bank one worthy of serious consideration. Has the Baroness spoken of such to you? What I mean is, can you answer questions while we await her return?"

Keren nodded. "Some. Like Lady Garia, I am not fully familiar with the details of accounting." He grinned. "I leave that to the King and his treasury clerks, though I fear I shall not escape their clutches for too much longer. Ask, and I will answer what I can."

"Highness, it seems to me that a bank is a purely commercial enterprise, like that of Master Tanon here. Do you know if there would be one such bank in every town? Would each bank be a business to itself or could there be connections between those in separate towns?"

"From what she has told me there could be more than one in any place, just as Master Tanon is not the only merchant in Tranidor. She explained that competition between banks would help to keep the costs to customers down, just as one might find in any market. Again, just as for Master Tanon, there is no reason that a bank could not have what she calls branches in several or many towns. In a large town or in the capital, there could be small branches near to where the most business is done."

Tanon nodded. "Branches, I like that, and it is clear what they are and how they relate to the main office. It would be just like my own business. If these banks come to pass, Highness, you can be sure that I would be one of the earliest to take advantage of their presence."

Horran added, "Highness, it occurs to me that branches could be placed near mining settlements, the easier to pay the men, while the accounts are held in a nearby town such as Tranidor." He nodded agreement. "We, too, will consider using such a bank once Master Moshan agrees to open one here."

"Now, wait a moment!" Moshan looked surprised. "I have barely heard the word bank but a bell since and here you all want me to open one! I will promise you all that I intend to consult with the other moneylenders in Tranidor and see if we can discover how such a business can work in practice. It would be some months before we could set up such an enterprise, perhaps not until next spring."

"That will be soon enough, Master Moshan," Trosanar said. "The winter will be a time for talk, not for fresh projects. There will be plenty of time to find out how a bank should work to the benefit of all."

The men talked for a short time until Garia and the others returned. She looked much better, her expression less strained and with more color to her face. She curtseyed to the men, who rose at her approach.

"Highness, My Lord, I apologize for the interruption. I am now ready," she said.

"Then," Keren said, "If there is no more to be said, perhaps we should join our men and start our journey."

"Aye, Highness," Trosanar agreed. He turned to Garia. "My Lady, seeing your discomfort, I have ordered you a carriage to take you as far as Dekarran. You will find it much more comfortable than riding a wagon seat, I deem."

Garia was flustered. "My lord, I couldn't -"

"Think of it as part of my apology for mistreating you when you arrived, my lady. It seems you are more important to us than I realized, we must make sure you are suitably protected. Highness?"

"Aye. Lead the way, my lord. Garia, this is a sensible thing to do."

"As you wish, Highness."

Outside in the yard a gray coach awaited, harnessed to four frayen. A servant opened the door and Garia climbed in, followed by Jasinet and Lanilla. Jenet would ride beside Merizel and Senidet.

"Ooooh! I like this!" Jasinet exclaimed. "I've never been in a carriage this fancy before. These seats are really soft to sit on!"

"I've never been in a carriage before," Lanilla said. "Only on a wagon seat or inside, when it was wet."

"What, never? Oh, of course... Milady, do you have your own carriages? Will we ride like this when we get to Palarand?"

"Well, actually, since I live in the palace I just use the palace carriages, or sometimes the guildsmen send one for me. I don't own any wagons or carriages myself." Garia thought. "At least, not yet, anyway."

Trosanar stared at Garia as the servant closed the door. He had just noticed, for the first time, the scabbarded knife sewn to the outside of her right boot.

"Highness, milady carries a knife on her boot!"

"Aye, my lord. It seems that because of a woman's body shape it is not practical for her to wear a rider's knife from a belt as we do. Putting it on a boot is just as practical, indeed, I have thought of having the same for myself. For that reason also, and because she is so short, she wears her swords on her back when she rides."

"But... two swords? And so short... Is there some secret to their use? Might this be of benefit to our armsmen?"

Keren grinned. "They are intended for defense by women, should the fight become desperate. Come, let us mount, I have no doubt you shall discover the secret as we travel."

Trosanar bade his wife and children a tense farewell and then the party mounted their frayen. The carriage rolled through the inner gates to join the waiting caravan on the open space beyond. There was a buzz of activity as everyone saw them approaching and mounted up. The castle visitors, walking alongside the carriage, stopped to give their own farewells.

"Milady," Horran said, "I must remain in Tranidor to oversee guild matters until a replacement arrives from the south. I will write if there is news, the letters will await your coming to Dekarran."

"Thank you, Master Horran," she replied. "Your assistance in organizing the new mines has been appreciated."

"My Lady," Moshan said, "Thank you for entrusting your coin to me in Tranidor. I will write to you also, concerning this bank. I doubt not that when you next return to Tranidor in the spring you shall find us open for business."

"I'm impressed, Master Moshan. I'll look forward to your letters." Her eyes narrowed as she had a thought. "Moshan? Are you perhaps... a Jew?"

Moshan looked thunderstruck. "My Lady! I have not heard that name spoken in forty years or more! Do you tell me you know of the Jews? Aye, I am accounted one, by those who follow the fortunes of our families. It is true, then! You do come from the other world, as my people are said to have done. We do not make that claim any longer, ever since the Great Convocation, but a few of us still wonder if it could possibly be true."

Garia sighed. "I'm sorry, Master Moshan, I didn't realize sooner or we could have spoken more about it. Yes, there are Jews in the world I came from. Their history is a... controversial subject with some people. I guess that one or more of your ancestors came to Anmar many, many years ago the same way I did." She nodded. "When I return in the spring, I'll tell you all that I can remember, but I warn you that you may not like some of what I have to tell you."

"The old histories, My Lady, speak of war and exile and destruction. If you will tell us, then we shall bear it as before."

"Yes, I suppose you will."

The carriage jolted into motion. The procession formed up, led by Feteran carrying the ptuvil standard, then a squad of palace men, Keren riding with Trosanar one side and Tanon the other, Merizel with Senidet and Jenet either side, Garia's carriage, more armsmen and then a long line of wagons with more men making a rearguard.

Jasinet leaned out one of the windows to watch as they left the castle grounds and entered the town.

"What an amazing sight, milady! So many people, so many wagons! Is it always like this in the south?"

"I didn't see any caravan as big as this when we came up," Garia replied. "Oh! Except the one which brought the King from Palarand to Dekarran. There must have been more than two hundred people in that one. But that was different, of course. Normally the caravans are two, four or six wagons or so."

There were crowds lining the streets, cheering, as the procession made its way through the town. Once word had gotten round that their Prince was passing by everybody wanted to have a good look. There was a snarl-up passing through the market place when they met a wagon train coming the other way, obviously bound for the northern trade route, but Tanon's men were expert at such encounters and skilfully eased the wagons past one another. Then the procession turned toward the eastern gate and suddenly they were crossing the Bray and back on the open road.

Feteran rode back to consult with Jaxen, who was now riding beside Keren.

"Wagonmaster, how far should we go? Is there a suitable stopping place for a train this big?"

"On this road, commander, most stops will have room for many more wagons than we bring. I have been giving thought to where we can stop for tonight. Perhaps we shall ride for two bells and stop at the next lunch place. That will let me judge progress." Jaxen scratched his chin. "I know where I would stop were we but trading wagons, but we have extra men - and women - to consider." He nodded. "Let's get going. We have delayed long enough."

up
397 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank God!

Thank God you're back! I have been sweating bullets fearing you might have to abandon our intrepid couple halfway home and there is still so much mischief for them to get in to.

Hope you're well!

DJ

I second that.

Was getting worried as well. Good to see you're back again. I'll read this later tonight, when I have the time for it. Really looking forward to it actually.

P.S. I'm not sure what god has to do with it :P. Thank the Maker you mean :D.

Me 2

I was thinking about sending a PM to ask after your health as it took longer than I hoped for to find a new part of this story.

Thank the Maker? Don't you mean thank the Goddess? Oh, you try to keep true to Anmar ;)

Yours, Leontine

Secoond that

I was about ready to book passage on military transport to search for Penny and check that she is in fact well.

You are right, thank the Maker!

DJ

Hmmm it seems Trosanar can

Hmmm it seems Trosanar can learn and maybe he will join the Banking guild to gain more coin while lower taxes. I guess his people would see him in a very favorable light if he did that.

I wonder if by the time they reach Dekarran, Uncle Gil might not have to discipline him. Great story as always, I look forward to more.

Glad to see you posting :)

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Please do not over tax yourself.

I am thankful also that you have returned.

Why do I sense an attack coming? You hinted of it when it was said that the twin sword's purpose would yet become clear that day. This is quite a charming and imaginative tale, and I thank you for it.

You would think that the individuals that brought her to Anmar, would have been thoughtful enough to make her "times" less devastating than what she experiences. Here on earth most women are not so ill at these times, but others are quite incapacitated, sad actually.

I have been inducted into female culture in ways that are most surprising to me and I hear really shocking things at times.

Gwendolyn

Kalikan's effects

We know from the outset that this isn't Gary Campbells' original body. I don't think that anyone will be surprised if it was suggested that it hasn't existed for much longer than Garia has been on Anmar.

So she's had to adapt to the body and the body has had to try and adjust to the monthly cycles from scratch. Remember most girls adapt slowly to menstruation and at a much earlier age. It's only been 6-8 months so things are still stabilizing. Rest assured that we won't see much more of this.

Penny

Amazing

NoraAdrienne's picture

So no matter what universe we visit there will always manage to be some of the B'nei Yisroel. I can't wait to find out how long they've been on this world. If Moshan hasn't heard the word Jew in 40 years they must have been there a long time for it to fall out of use.

Could it be they are member of one of the lost tribes? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm only time will tell.

Jews on Anmar

Based on the limited talk she had with Moshan and his last words to her on parting. I am going to guess that his ancestor's ended up on Anmar when Babylon sent a sizable portion of Israel to Babylon.

SEE...

YEA! You're back!! I hope everything is going better for you these days Penny!! You've certainly been missed!!

I too-

am so very happy to see more of SEE, but I do hope you're not over doing it. Story good, health is better!
Thanks again for more of Garia and Keren.
hugs
Grover

In honor of your return.

Drums beat and Clarion calls.
Announcing her return
To one and all

With stores of whit written
By her pen
We are graced to read yet again

We give thanks for her return
So we are protected
from having our curiosity burn.

From some where else entirely
Our story unfolds
Again we hope in its entirety

Welcome back.
Sorry for the clumsy verse. It almost rhymes.
But it is good to see you again.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

I too have been away from my keyboard ...

... and I was a little concerned about the silence from your end. Another good chapter that gives rise to many questions as to what will happen in the future.
Most thought-provoking.

And, of course, highly entertaining.

Thank you.

Joolz.

P.S. Just a tiny little observation of a typo .....Garia nodded. "Oh, yes, it will. Banks in my lands are usually very thick stone buildings with protected strong rooms. One reason is to keep the money safe and the other is to keep the records safe. Accounts will be written down and that makes them vulneable to fire, of course."

An 'r' missing from 'vulnerable', I suspect.

J

A Thousand Thanks to YOU Penny Lane

What a wonderful surprise, to find a new episode of this Epic tale today when I looked it up.

Bless you, and thansks for this gift.

I love this story.

Briar

The surprises keep coming!

So we've had Garia, her Yod counterpart, Romans (Chivans), possibly Greeks (the Antikythera mechanism was Greek in origin but had been looted by the Romans and was en-route back to Italy when the ship sunk) and some Jews - so it's possible someone (or some group) gets lobbed over from Earth to Anmar every couple of centuries or so. As yet, of course, we don't know if anyone's lobbed in the reverse direction, or if there are transfers from other planets.

Meanwhile, the concept of banks seems to be proving popular just from the outline description of how they work - possibly along with paper money (banknotes - which will be legal tender). As with Earth, it will probably take them a few centuries to come up with the idea of financial derivatives, but with industrial development being geared towards sustainability from the start, there's a chance Anmar won't get caught up in the kind of financial bubbles which have caused problems at various times on 20th and 21st century Earth.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Encouragement

joannebarbarella's picture

I hope all your readers here make you feel better with their comments and kudos. You can tell you have been missed.

Ah, banks! An evil necessity. Perhaps some of their excesses of five years ago in our world are either a long way off in Palarand's future or can be avoided by the use of Garia's basic descriptions of how they work,

Joanne

Don't know how checks will work

... without a formal way of verifying identity.

No Drivers Licenses .... yet.

Still the concepts of a banking system will be useful. Things will get very complex when other banks come into being. BTW the use of Moshan's heritage is not a stereotype as it is the Jewish community that made banking what it is. Such a means of making capital move freely will really accelerate the economy. Time for some regulation too I think lest Goldmana Sachsa becomes too big to fail ;)

Kim

Verifying Identity

joannebarbarella's picture

In the stone age we didn't need Drivers Licences.

Simple signature comparison was the way it used to work. The bank keeps a sample of your signature (or thumbprint) when you open your account and then compares it with the signature (or thumbprint)on the cheque being presented for encashment.

Another form of cheque...probably obsolete now...was the traveller's cheque, which was purchased from the bank either with cash or debited against your account. You signed each one (which was for a fixed amount, say $100) at point of purchase and then you signed the cheque again at the bank where you withdrew the money so that they could compare your signature to the original. If it matched they gave you your $100 or however many multiples you required to be cashed.

Any of these ancient methods were capable of being forged of course, but so are all modern money transfers. It's just more sophisticated now.

Ah, you youngsters!

Joanne

Religion

Oh Penny, that is disappointing that you are now bringing in religion. Okay, if you keep one maker I suppose it's alright but once Garia starts explaining Judiasm she needs to talk about other religions for context. We have so many problems here due to religions that oppose one another I reaay don't want that to happen on Anmar.

Religion

I suspect that very little of the actual religious practices of Moshan's ancestor's has survived to the present Anmar period. As I mentioned above, I suspect that Moshan's family has been on Anmar since Babylon invaded Israel, and exciled a large portion of the population back to Babylon.

Religion

I must admit, religion was not foremost on my mind when I introduced Moshan. I find it interesting that many commenters think of the religious aspect first whereas I was more focused on the cultural and historical aspects. Moshan is a moneylender; this means that his ancestor(s) may have been transferred around the 15th-18th (Earth) centuries for him to keep up the tradition.

Of course, having blended into a new world many of the cultural specialties of each transferee may have been lost or diluted over time. I have no doubt that Moshan's family keeps some special recipies for whatever feast days they continue to celebrate.

Penny

Thanks

terrynaut's picture

Yay! Another chapter!

Please take care. I'll try to be patient for the next one.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

In the valley of the blind,

the one-eyed man is king.
And so it is for Garia.

So many lessons from this story, that's why I'm enjoying it.

Thanks,

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Thanks

It is so good to see you back, hope that your feeling better. I love this story and missed you so much. hugggggggssssss
Brandie

Another wonderful chapter

Thank you.

And what could be wrong with a discussion of the Jewish history and a remembrance of their contributions and their being persecuted?

As far as the introduction of banking. It is a necessary evil for economic progress.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Yep

Like it or not the availability of bankers made the Renaissance possible I believe.

Kim

OH no,

not another Wall Street coming I hope? Money markets, 401 K's and such, good grief!

Religion, now there's another problem coming up too but as long as it is kept within certain boundaries perhaps the arguments wont come, I hope!?

Great to see this story continuing. For a while I thought that all was lost.

Take care and please do continue this wonderful story.

Vivien

Nice chapter

Thanks Penny for a nice few surprises here.

Religion is debunked (the Great Convocation - mentioned in #29) so I have no fears about the Jewish question.

Banking is something else.
Already the concept of interest rates and preferential rates has been brought up. The tip of a dreaded wedge. I fear for Palarand (and probably Alaesia - eventually all Anmar).

As for the stopping places, then Tranidor to Holville is 23 marks. Assuming 32 marks a day (but it is downhill, so could be a little quicker) then a half-day's travel will get the caravan to just out of nose's range of Holville, 7 or so marks upvalley from there. Even at 40 marks a day, then Holville is just beyond reach (but probably within the stink range). Then they would make Haligo for the next night (which would be around 30 Marks - Trani to Haligo being 46), assuming no ambushes, abduction attempts, wagon breakdowns etc etc etc

Then a full day's travel to Teldor (just over 35 marks) followed by another full day to Dekarran (around 34 marks).

So I see a latish arrival at Uncle Gil's.

I await other surprises with eager anticipation.

Super job, as always.

Di.

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Thank you all!

Thank you for your kind comments.

I'm sorry it has taken so long to find time to reply but I have been VERY BUSY this week... and it hasn't finished yet. This afternoon I'm off to have CT scans done of chest and sinuses, so that the Renal folks have a baseline to compare future changes against, and then tomorrow I have to go back to have an MRI scan of my skull. (These trips basically wipe out a day.)

I will put up a blog at the weekend with current status. Assuming things calm down I'll also address some of the points raised in the comments above.

Penny

Glad to see you back

I wanted to say that right off. lt is good you're feeling better. As one of you other commenters said, story good but health much more important. So, please take it easy as you continue this tale.

That said, this story is one of the best I've read ... and not just on this site. I read a lot, and this story stands up better than some published works I have read.Even with the TG elements present, this is definitely mainstream work. The plot is solid and interesting(and unique), the characters fresh and fleshed out, the writing is detailed and tight ... in short, all has been well thought out.

Thank you for sharing this published novel quality work with us.

banking

I just hope they avoid some of the excesses we have suffered with

DogSig.png

Duke

Is guess the count does have some redeeming qualities. I wonder what the dukes reaction to everything will be.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Big realization

Jamie Lee's picture

Trosanar may have just realized how foolish he's been while listening to Garia explain about banking. But as he talked it became clear the taxes he collected weren't being used as they should have.

He talk about road construction and maintenance, but where was any of that in evidance when they traveled north or now going south. Just what good has he done with the taxes other than fill his coffers?

In the short time Garia spoke with the two men, she gain a respect Trosanar has never had from them. Her words were only about how they could improve things for themselves and others, and not what she could get in return, as was Trosanar's only concern. Wonder how things will have changed when Trosanar returns, if he does?

Is Fikt and his fellow morons stupid enough to make yet another try for Garia with so many witnesses? Thinking he has the upper hand with the unknown to be faulty shotguns, he might be stupid enough to try. Maybe he hasn't heard how protective the dranakh are of Garia? Maybe he'll get a first hand example.

Others have feelings too.