Somewhere Else Entirely -91-

Printer-friendly version

The final meeting of Blackstone's Town Assembly brings together all those in whose safekeeping Garia will leave her town. Once details have been finalized she hands out as gifts all those objects sent to her during her stay. Then comes the serious business of packing, and finally she and the others must make their farewells to the town she has come to know and love. The company take the road south and make their first night's stop at the new roadhouse.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

91 - On the Road Again


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The common room was empty except for those seated around the long table. At one end sat Garia, Baroness Blackstone, presiding over the meeting. At the other was her Steward in these lands, Captain Bleskin. Ranged either side were members of her Town Assembly: Selden, the new Agent for the Messenger Service; Fedren, keeper of the Bell Inn; Brydas, town smith; Torin, carpenter; Blandel, mason; Sinidar, the tanner.

At one side of Garia sat Jepp, the town scribe, who was making a formal record of the meeting. At the other sat Merizel, who was there only in her capacity as Garia's secretary, ready to take notes should they be necessary. Two others sat at the table, for these were new men who had just been co-opted to the Assembly by Garia. These were the mason Bezan and the miner Yarling.

"Does anybody have anything else to add?" Garia asked the attentive faces. "You've all seen the plan, is there something we've all missed?"

Bleskin answered her. "We are many differing points of view about your table, milady, as is preferable for such an assembly. If there is aught that is amiss, then you have provided us authority to take decisions in your name. The chance to plan a town such as ours is a rare circumstance and we will make certain of our arguments before we move a single stone. That you leave such decisions in our hands speaks well of your own judgement, milady."

The others nodded.

"Thank you, captain," she responded. "I'm glad you think so, because I know nothing about town planning! Besides, once I get back to the palace I'm not likely to have time to think about what's happening up here. I believe it's better to leave such decisions to those who have to live here."

"Milady!" Bezan protested, "You are too modest. Building zones, concrete, the Community Hall, the railroad, there is much you have suggested that would never have occurred to us. Though you have little experience in these arts you still have much to teach us."

"Aye, milady," Bleskin agreed. "You have a fresh point of view about such matters and knowledge of how such a town might develop over the years which we have not. Though we shall direct the development here we will always attend carefully to your words whenever you visit us."

It's true. Most towns on this world will have developed the old-fashioned way, I guess, with people just throwing up buildings and streets as they needed them. There's no tradition of founding new towns like we did in the West. Perhaps they have a point.

"I guess you are right, captain," she nodded. "Let's move on to the next bit of business, then. Brydas, has the badge for the Sheriff turned out okay?"

"Aye, milady. I have it here."

Brydas reached into his pouch and pulled out a small object wrapped in a square of thin leather. Opening it onto the table it revealed a badge which looked both familiar to Garia and yet appropriate for this world. A round metal disk bore the inscription "BLACKSTONE" around the top and "TOWN" around the bottom, while the word "SHERIFF" went across the middle in larger letters. Around the disk protruded six triangles, the points being well rounded so as not to catch in clothing. Garia picked it up and turned it over so they could see a spring-loaded pin to attach the badge to the holder's clothing.

"That's a fine piece of work, Brydas. How did you make this so detailed, if I might ask?"

Brydas considered, then remembered who he was talking to.

"Have you heard of a method of casting called 'Lost Wax', milady?"

"Yes, I have. You make a carving - um, there's no need to go into details, is there? This is your usual good work and I assume you can make more for the deputies when they are needed?"

"Aye, milady, and for this one if it is damaged or destroyed. I have the original carvings securely stored."

"So, all that remains," she smiled, "is for you to tell me who you have all chosen as Blackstone's first Sheriff."

"As you say, milady. We have had many discussions with interested parties and decided that someone who was familiar with all in town would serve the office best. We decided on Fedren."

Garia though briefly then nodded. "A good choice, I think. Fedren, you are happy to do this? What about the Bell? Will Yanda be able to run it without your help?"

"Aye, milady, she is content. You will recall, she ran the inn for some weeks when Kasinna and I were locked away by Trogan. Though the town is busier now, she maintains that she has all in hand, especially if the wagon men come over here to the Claw."

"And you would help out when the business of Sheriff is quiet, I assume?"

Fedren grinned. "Aye, milady, but I know where my first responsibility shall be. I shall not fail you."

"Then, if you'll stand and come round here, we'll ask you to swear an oath to accept you into your new office. Master Jepp?"

Fedren stood and spoke the words Garia, Jepp and Bleskin had agreed and then signed the document Jepp held forward. Garia pinned the badge - carefully - to his tunic and he returned to his seat.

"Master Jepp, are we done here?"

"I think so, milady. Has anyone else anything further we should mention?"

There was silence, so Garia spoke.

"Good. That's over, and I can happily leave Blackstone in your capable hands. I want to ask you to think of a couple of things, though, before I go. Firstly, almost all of the Assembly are guildsmen. There's only Fedren who isn't a guildsman at the moment. Now, I guess that's because you are the most educated in the town but it does mean that you don't have a really representative mix of the townsfolk here. I'd like you to think of adding others to the Assembly in time and of casting your nets wider. For instance, women make up half the population but there are none here except me - and Merizel, of course, but she isn't on the Assembly, she's here to take notes for me. Think about adding one or two women - perhaps you could start with a healer, say. They talk to people and they know what goes on."

The whole table of men looked at Garia in silence.

"But, milady -"

"But nothing, Brydas. You have myself and Merizel here as examples, and you are sending your own daughter off to be a guildswoman! You really need those different viewpoints if you want this assembly to work better. Don't you think that the townswomen already complain because a bunch of men tell them what's going to happen? Get one or two in here and they'll be able to say that they are helping make the decisions."

Eyes were downcast to the table but there was a muted rumble of, "Aye, milady."

"The other thing I wanted to mention is, beware of outsiders." She held up a hand. "I know, after your experiences with Trogan you won't make that mistake again! But this group of Trosanar's soldiers makes me wonder if he's up to mischief somehow. He has no rights here and he's not going to get any. There may be others turn up trying to make a quick... Solly. I know you are all tradesmen - even Fedren - that pride yourself on giving good service for money received, but there are others out there who won't care so much, so long as they can pocket your money."

Sinidar asked, "What of Trosanar's men, milady? I trust they will depart when you do."

"They had better, since the only reason they are here is to provide an escort." Garia smiled. "The Prince and I have one or two ideas about how to make sure they behave. Fedren, it will be up to you to make sure no other trouble-makers get a hold in town. If you need to, I'm thinking that Yarling can provide some tough bodies to help you make your point."

Yarling was grinning. "Aye, milady, that we will do, and thank you for your confidence in us."

She smiled back. "I'm glad we understand each other, Master Miner." She turned to Merizel. "Merry, anything else we ought to deal with here?"

"You were disposing of items received, Garia."

"Oh, yes, right! The gifts and gadgets we received are staying here. There's no point us taking any of them back and they will be of more use to the town. Brydas, you get the steam engine. I'm not taking it back and there's no point leaving it in the Claw. I'm sure we can find someone to help you get it back to your workshop."

"Thank you, milady. I have already considered how to construct my own, but the use of your model will be most helpful. The pity is that Senidet will not be there to run it, but doubtless my journeymen will learn the duties."

"Good. Jepp, you're getting the typewriter. It makes sense for you to have it, doesn't it?"

"As you say, milady. You have my thanks."

"Um," Merizel said, "It needs some minor repairs, Master Jepp. Best let Master Brydas look it over first. Some of the soldering is a little suspect."

Both Jepp and Brydas nodded. Garia continued, "And we'll leave you most of the spare paper, as well. I know you had a request to set up a school so that will help get it started. Fedren, I'd like you to have the mirror over there." She pointed to the silvered glass, mounted on the wall of the common room. "It doesn't make sense for it to be in here any longer, it ought to be somewhere public but out of the weather, so I thought you could put it in the Bell."

"Thank you, milady. It will certainly help to attract people to the Inn."

"As if they needed anything other than beer to make them come in! Yes, have the mirror, and I'm also giving you the big telescope as well as you are the new Sheriff. It will be your choice if you want to keep somebody on lookout on the cistern or not but I think that is the best place for the telescope."

Fedren nodded. "As you say, milady. I will consult with Captain Bleskin about the town's future needs."

"What else? Our exercise mats can stay here if anyone can find somewhere to store them. They'll probably end up in the Community Hall when it is built."

"Milady," Brydas asked, "What of the... guns?"

"They'll have to go with us, Master Brydas," she replied. "I know you're interested but they are too dangerous here. I don't think you'll face any more of them once we have left, do you?"

"As you say, milady."

"I want to get them back down south and set up a task force of guildsmen to evaluate what we have and start production of our own weapons," she explained. Noticing the puzzled expressions of those assemblymen who did not know of the weapons, she added, "Ask Master Brydas to explain about the guns once we've left. He knows as much as any of us do right now." Garia shrugged. "I'd like to say more but we're out of time. I'm done talking, I think. I'm off to have a muster of the men before we get down to the real business of packing."

The meeting dispersed. Garia and Merizel went out and into her office, where Sukhana appeared with a tray of drinks.

"Thanks, Sookie. Is your brother around yet?"

"Aye, milady. His men are waiting for His Highness and Feteran to come back down from the cistern."

"Ah, right. We'll see them come in the yard from here."

They had time to finish their drinks before Keren and Feteran came through the carriage entrance accompanied by Jaxen. Garia and Merizel walked outside to meet them.

"All set? Did you find something for them to do?"

"Aye," Keren replied. "I sent a strong patrol up the back to investigate the Stone Sea, of which Severel had heard but knew little about." He smirked. "I may have overlooked mentioning the occasional appearance of grakh, now I think on it. Some others are on the cistern mounting a lookout and the rest are guarding their own camp. I don't think they'll cause any problems, Garia."

"Good. It's only for today, in any event." She turned to Jaxen. "All set?"

"Aye, milady. We're in position."

"Then let's get upstairs before anyone comes to interrupt us."

Garia led the way up the men's stair as Jaxen's men fanned out across the yard and around the entrances to guard the Claw while her muster was held. Inside the Men's Dormitory they found, as on the day she had explained the guns, every member of their company. This time, Jaxen accompanied them, raising an eyebrow when he saw the crowd.

"All right," she called them to attention. "Keren has some words for us."

"Men, and women of course," he began. "We'll set off for Tranidor immediately after breakfast tomorrow morning. That means we have today to pack our gear and put most of it on the wagons. The wagon train will be more than just our own five wagons, at least as far as Tranidor. Jaxen?"

"Aye, Highness. I'm taking back three that brought goods for the town and there will be four from the mine, laden with sacks of coal. That means our forces will have to cover twelve wagons."

"As you say. Now none of this would be anything unusual but for this detachment of Trosanar's men. I'll tell you now bluntly I don't trust them. Fortunately I don't think their Quadrant knows anything but ceremonial work so I don't believe he will set upon us along the way, or something foolish like that. We are too many for them, I deem. But this may not be all his number, and he may play a part for us to relax our suspicions. Now, all Jaxen's men have traveled with us on the journey north so are known to all of you. We trust them and they trust that we know what we are doing. We can't ignore Trosanar's men but we can make sure they are never in any position to make mischief.

"So that we may all be recognized I propose that we travel this first part of the journey, until we depart Tranidor, attired in our Palace Guard uniforms. I know that you all have them, even you Blackstone men, since we would normally change to those colors once we cross the Sirrel. If we appear to Trosanar and his men as one united party he may think again of any scheme he may have brewed against us. I believe he has underestimated our numbers and the sight of so many of the King's uniform may give him pause."

The men murmured among themselves at this request. Some rolled eyes and there were some exasperated looks together with nods of agreement. For some, it would mean repacking their gear.

"Highness," Brazan asked, "Are you sure that we all have palace colors? What about Tedenis and Briswin?"

Tedenis spoke up. "Sir, the townswomen have made us tunics and hose in the King's colors. We are well provided for our journey south." He added, "They may not be as fine as those made for the King's men, perhaps, but they are of a like color and style."

"Well I don't own any, Highness," a voice came. All turned to Jarrin, who added, "I was concerned that my own colors, those of Duke Gilbanar, might stand out along the road. I thought to ask if I could ride in traveler garb as Jaxen's men will do."

Keren nodded. "Aye, that would be acceptable, Jarrin. I would not expect Jaxen's men to wear the King's colors," he smiled, "though it seems that several of them once did so."

"Thoran," Chinnar said. "There is a spare tunic in Thoran's gear, Highness, if any might need it."

"Well said, Chinnar. We will remember that, should it become necessary. Any more questions?"

"What about the women, Highness?" Jaxen asked. "I know Milady Garia and Milady Merizel have such gear for I have seen them wearing it. What of the others?"

"Garia?"

"Jenet, Lanilla and Jasinet have servant's dresses in palace colors, since they would need to change as we do once over the Sirrel. They have no riding gear in colors, and Lanilla and Jasinet don't even ride yet. I don't think Senidet has anything useful, she just has the usual traveling clothes."

Jaxen waved a hand. "Milady, I don't think you need worry about women riding the wagons. All would be expected to wear traveling clothes. I thought more of those of you who would be riding frayen and of what might be needed when we arrive in Tranidor."

"Ah, yes! I hadn't thought that far, Jaxen." She frowned. "You think we might have trouble when we arrive, then?"

The wagonmaster shrugged. "Milady, I have no idea, but that is where I deem Lord Trosanar would make his move, rather than along the road. These troops he has sent here as your escort are not his only men at arms."

Garia looked at Keren. "Are we making too much of this? Or are we not taking it seriously enough?"

"All we can do is what we can think of and keep alert. Once we are back on the road we'll get a better feel for the conditions as we travel. For now, Trosanar is our first potential obstruction."

"Speaking of obstructions," Garia said, "Master Yarling is traveling with us to Tranidor. If you remember, the Guildmaster there had some schemes of his own and Yarling wants to make sure the situation is not misunderstood."

Keren nodded. "His assistance will be useful, I think. Can he yet ride? I did not think his arm was mended."

"He says he can get on a frayen but it isn't comfortable to ride yet. He is content to ride on a wagon."

"Good. Any other business? Your gear is all clean and ready for action? Then we'd better end this meeting and start packing those wagons."

~o~O~o~

That day held one final surprise for Garia. After her nap a servant girl came to tell her that there was a deputation of townswomen waiting to see them. Puzzled but half-expecting something of the sort she had them shown up to the Women's Dormitory, at this point just an empty room but large enough to hold everybody while keeping their meeting private.

"Milady Garia, Milady Merizel," the seamstress called Jorine began, "we have some small gifts for you, that you might remember your town when you are far away. We thought to provide you and your girls with practical items which might keep you warm as you travel through our lands."

Garia, Merizel, Jenet, Lanilla and Jasinet were each presented with a long-sleeved shirt of woven pakh-wool, fitting close enough to lie comfortably under their day clothes or riding tunics. These were accompanied by woolen gloves and scarves. All items were undyed, which meant that they would tone gracefully with either Blackstone or Palace colors. Garia thanked the women profusely.

Senidet had been roped into the meeting and received gifts of her own. These were a riding skirt and a matching pair of breeches. Since there was no time to obtain or cut leather for the patches, a double layer of canvas had been used instead. She also received a shirt, scarf and gloves.

The next item to be presented was a pennant, which the women said was for her men to fit to a lance while riding. It had the two Blackstone greens, lighter above, with a red ptuvil embroidered on top, and was almost a stride long.

"You and your men have survived a meeting with a ptuvil, milady," Patilla told her, "It is customary to mark such an encounter with a token to show the luck of the bearer."

"I don't know what to say," Garia replied. "I do know that the men will carry this with pride. I can't thank you all enough for your thoughtful gifts. We will treasure all these items."

The women all curtseyed but made no move to go. At Garia's questioned glance Patilla brought out a cloth package and opened it.

"We were not sure about this, milady," she said, "but we decided that you could not go to your marriage bed with nothing of your lands beside you. We would not care to make you a wedding gown, that we know is for those more talented than ourselves to sew, but perhaps we can offer you this, to be worn on your wedding night."

Patilla held up a nightgown of finest pakh wool, woven in such a way that it looked almost like smoke. There was delicate embroidery on the yoke but otherwise it was completely white. Garia was speechless.

Oh, God! What do I tell these people? They obviously believe I am going to marry Keren.

Garia chickened out by stammering a kind of acceptance and took the parcel, carefully re-wrapped to preserve the contents until the appointed day. Her face was red and she found it difficult to face the women, knowing what they assumed and what the truth was.

I just wish it were so, and so does Keren! But there are bigger stakes to play for than our personal happiness. We're just digging a hole for ourselves and everybody is helping us dig. A lot of people are going to be upset whatever happens.

The townswomen departed, seemingly satisfied with their efforts, and Garia was left looking at her staff, who returned her stare.

"What? I don't want to disappoint these people, I really don't. They have all done so much for us. We would have had a much harder time without all the help we have been given, and that goes for you three as well." Garia indicated the three town-born girls. "So, now we know what we're all wearing tomorrow, let's get the other chests packed and ready for the men to load."

~o~O~o~

The mornings were definitely chilly now, and Garia was glad of the extra layer under her riding gear. She knew that Snep would help keep her warm from below but head and arms could still feel the cold, especially once they moved into open countryside. The pakh cloth was so soft, she wondered whether there was a market for quality fabric but then remembered that in a few years there would be no room for pakh, at least not in her valleys.

The yard was full of men, women, frayen and dranakh, their breath steaming, and there was the usual apparent confusion as everybody prepared their animals or made sure that loads were secured and covered. There wasn't enough room in the yard for all the men, animals and wagons so two of the wagons were already waiting in the street. Feteran stood at one side doing a head count while Keren was in front of the kitchen talking to Sukhana and Brydas, whose arm was around Sukhana's waist. Senidet stood by her father's side, knowing that once she left with the company she might not see him again for at least six months.

"Milady."

Garia turned. "Brazan?"

"A fresh waterskin for your journey, milady."

"Oh, thanks."

Garia secured the skin behind her saddle as Varno blew a soft toot on the bugle. All turned to where he stood beside Feteran.

"The women of the town have made us a talisman," Feteran said to the crowd. "A token of our encounter with the ptuvil." He held up his lance with the pennant attached, holding the tip with his other hand so that the embroidery was clearly visible. "Men! Whether you are sworn to the King or to Baroness Garia, know that those of you in this company shall feel proud to ride behind such a device. I know that not all of you were there that day but you also know we all share the battle-bond. This is ours, men, and none shall take it from us."

There was a round of applause at his announcement. He continued, "Is everybody ready? Then, with His Highness and Milady's permission, we should mount up."

Garia indicated assent by hauling herself into her own saddle. Sukhana curtseyed and Brydas bowed to Keren, and he made for his frayen while Senidet gave her father one last hug. Soon everybody was waiting and Feteran gave the signal to move out. For practical reasons the frayen moved out first and the wagons used the freed space to manoever out of the yard into the street.

Both sides of the street were lined with townspeople, waiting to see them off. On the balcony of the Ptuvil's Claw two of her men pulled her standard in before hurrying to join the caravan. Garia twisted to see a line of wagons carefully descending the street behind them, pausing when they reached her own company. Jaxen's men came from the carriage entrance to the Bell, their wagons were already lower down the street. He came to join Garia and Keren.

"All set, Highness, Milady?"

"I think so, Jaxen," she replied. "Where are Trosanar's men?"

"Right at the back, at the moment, milady. Once we get free of the town eight will ride ahead as advance guard and six will remain behind." He snorted derision. "Not that we needed any of them, of course."

Down the street came Severel, halting beside Keren and saluting. "Highness, we are -"

He stared in shock at Garia, Merizel and Jenet, all in their palace riding gear mounted on frayen. His eyes followed down to their feet and widened at the unusual brass stirrups and placement. His attention then went to the other riders, realizing that they were all dressed in the same colors.

"Highness," he choked, "Forgive me. I did not realize..."

"What, Quadrant?" Keren responded. "Did you think our journey here an afternoon's light exercise? Our party is well provided against whatever we may face on the road. What troubles you? Surely you have seen a woman astride a frayen before?"

"It is true, Highness, yet... I did not expect... Milady, I have seen women riding before but rarely."

"Well, I guess you're going to see more of us in the future," Garia replied. "Lord Trosanar saw us riding at Dekarran, were you there with him?"

"Alas, milady, I did not accompany him that time, there was only limited room as you know."

"So, Quadrant," Keren asked, "Are your men ready to start? We await but a single rider."

"Aye, Highness, that is what I came to report."

Tanon came out of the Bell astride a frayen, joining them.

"A loose strap, Jaxen. Good morning, Your Highness, My Lady. My apologies for keeping the caravan waiting."

"Not a problem, Master Tanon," Keren told him. "We awaited those camped at the top end of town, they have now joined us. Jaxen? You are wagonmaster today. Direct us, if you please."

The long string of wagons, surrounded by armed men, rumbled into life and they were away. The townspeople waved and cheered until they had crossed the bridge and then they were in open country, the sunlight of a fresh fall morning raising their spirits.

Damn! I do like doing this, Garia thought. Chugging down the valley on the railroad will be nowhere as much fun.

True to his word eight of Severel's men rode past the caravan and took up position some distance ahead. Their own men rode on the grass verges either side of their wagons while Jaxen's riders took station beside their wagons and those loaded with coal. Initially Garia rode beside Keren and they talked of light matters for a while, then Tanon came alongside and started a long discussion with the Prince. Garia listened for a while but then hung back and found the wagon with Merizel aboard.

"Are you doing this deliberately, knowing I can't ride today?" Her friend asked plaintively.

"I came to keep you company," Garia replied, smiling. "If you like, I can go ride beside Keren again."

Merizel gave a mock scowl. "You wait, milady, your time will come."

"Aye, I know it," Garia said. "Just today?"

"Just today, then I may ride again, I think," Merizel confirmed. "Still, it has meant that Senidet has a chance to ride Topik while I may not. She is not so enthusiastic as some I might mention but the beasts respond well to her touch. You were right to suggest it to her, Garia."

"I wasn't sure, Merry. She seems to like machinery more than she likes animals but if we can get her riding it must make her future easier. She'll have a level of independance few other girls will have experienced. She'll need it if she wants to become an engineer."

"Aye, Garia. Sometimes I feel so stupid beside all these clever women."

"Don't undersell yourself, Merry. I may know a lot but I'm not really clever, and you can organize way better than I ever could."

"Aye, I cannot disagree with that!"

The caravan continued on its sedate way south, through the open countryside which made up this part of Bray Vale. Garia now knew that these were her lands, so took more interest in the landscape, wondering how far south the inevitable industrial sprawl would reach. She wondered if the botanist had found any more suitable plants for crops and how many years it would take to prove how useful they would be.

They stopped mid-morning for the inevitable brew-up at a flat, basic pull-in that showed signs of heavy use. Garia frowned as they returned from the obligatory latrine visit.

It's not just the roadhouse, is it? We'll have to improve all these stopping places if the volume of traffic is going to grow like crazy.

"How are you doing, Senidet?"

The smith's daughter pulled a face. "Milady, it is hard work riding, is it not? I have aches in places I did not know that I could ache." She rubbed a hand in the small of her back.

Garia smiled encouragement. "That's because you are having to balance in the saddle as you ride along, and you're using muscles you don't normally use. Your body has to adapt to the new position and movement. It will all get better in time, I can assure you." She had a thought. "I don't know how much exercise you used to do, Senidet. That will make a difference. You're probably not used to much heavy labor, are you? I would think that few girls of your age and station would be."

Senidet smiled. "I have been attending the Tai Chi sessions, milady. I have noticed the difference they have made to my own fitness and flexibility. I wonder... might I learn some of your own exercises, milady? I am no warrior but I can see how they may improve my strength and reactions."

Garia was startled then thoughtful. "Well, I don't see why not! But you'll have to wait until we get back to the palace. We won't have time for any of that on the road, and I don't want to do any while we're guests of any of the nobles, it will just cause delay and confusion."

"Milady," Senidet said with a grin, "I saw the confusion on Severel's face. Is it like this wherever you go?"

Garia grinned back. "Pretty much, yes. I might be the first but I sure am not going to be the last! Welcome to my crazy world, Senidet. I hope you'll find it fun."

"As you say, milady. It catches my interest in a way I find difficult to resist."

Garia decided that the air had warmed up enough to remove her pea-coat, so Jenet carefully folded it and secured it behind Garia's saddle, replacing it with her tabard - and swords. It was not long before an overwhelmed Severel spotted her and approached.

"Milady, I have never seen a woman bearing swords before!"

"Quadrant, I won't put you out of a job," Garia said, careful not to laugh. "We'll need men-at-arms to protect us for some time to come, I believe. But the King and Duke Gilbanar both train women for their household troops now. Has your lord not told you what he learned in Dekarran?"

"Milady, he has mentioned in passing of his visit there but he would not speak of what he learned to any mere man-at-arms as myself. We are not considered of high enough status to know the business of Kings and Dukes, milady."

Severel reddened as he realized who he was speaking to. Garia just nodded.

"I understand, Quadrant. I keep forgetting how this society works sometimes. Trust me, the meetings can be as boring as you probably think they are." She smiled. "Shall we get back on the road?"

Another ten marks or so, another camp site, this time for lunch. There was another train of four wagons already parked, headed for Blackstone. Jaxen wandered off to exchange news while the rest ate the usual traveler's fare and drank pel. Back on the road Severel found Feteran and rode beside him.

"Commander, your liege confuses me. She rides as though she has done so all her life and bears arms, something I have never seen a woman do before, let alone one so young! Tell me, what manner of person is she? She is young to be a Baroness. What happened to her parents, to make her head her house so young?"

Feteran shook his head. "We do not know if her parents are alive or dead, Quadrant," he replied. "She is not Palarandi born but comes from a distant land beyond Alaesia called Kansas. She knows not how she came to our lands or how she might return. The King has given her sanctuary and she has pledged herself to him, offering knowledge of all that the lands of her birth might reveal. In return the King has granted her Blackstone."

"Ah. I did not think that Blackstone was a barony before."

"As you say. I believe the lands were Duke Gilbanar's before the grant. The King intended them as little more than a token, to provide her with armsmen and a basic income to support her." Feteran kept a straight face as he added, "It was chance that we discovered the coal which will make the production of steel so much easier. Even your own lord will share in the increased wealth which will flow in these lands."

"My lord Trosanar wonders about the coal, commander. He is irritated that the traffic passes his gates and pays no tolls to the town. But, my question! Is the land whence she comes so different that the women ride frayen and wear swords as men do?"

Feteran chuckled then. "No, indeed, Quadrant! Her people ride beasts much larger than frayen, a creature called a horse not known in Alaesia. And they do not use swords any longer either, preferring weapons much more dangerous and lethal. No, the folk of her lands learn the use of swords for fun. But do not mistake me, Quadrant, the Baroness is indeed a warrior. She has taught us two new ways of fighting and knows more. Despite her size and apparent age, she is not to be trifled with. While we were in Dekarran she killed a man with a single kick."

Severel's eyes were wide. "Do you tell me? How is this possible?"

"A long story, Quadrant." Feteran craned his neck and looked up and down the length of the caravan. "All seems in order, I have time to tell you the tale. It was like this. Milady was in her chambers..."

~o~O~o~

The clumps of trees increased gradually in size and number so that it was soon impossible to see very far across the valley. Eventually a point came when it was indistinguishable from forest. The caravan continued at the steady pace of the dranakhs but the outriders paid more attention to the terrain either side. It was unlikely that their large caravan would be attacked by 'normal' bandits but the attack at the head of Blackstone Vale had been unlikely, too. Nobody was taking any chances.

As they moved on Garia noticed that the trees became taller and more numerous. There were still ditches either side of the roadway but nowhere near the size of those nearer Blackstone. In fact, in some places there was no separation between forest and road at all. The trees now overhung the road and provided welcome shade from the sun. She recognized the road from their initial journey and wondered what the new roadhouse would look like.

Soon came a brightening of the light and a clearing appeared to their right, the ground leveled and paved with crushed rock. Beyond the pull-in were two large buildings with a wide road leading between them, all new. Of the original buildings there was no sign. The first block showed only windows to the road but the other had several doors showing at the rear of the inevitable covered walkway. To Garia's surprise the caravan turned and went along the new road between the two buildings.

There were more buildings, confusing to the eye, but all the other travelers had been here before so knew what to do. The wagons were led between two other blocks, then another two, then pulled to the left. The dranakhs were released and promptly went back to the access road and continued left toward the forest. Their frayen, once unsaddled, were led to covered stalls between the buildings on the other side of the road. Garia, Merizel, Senidet and their maids were standing beside their gear, wondering what to do, when Jaxen approached with a smile.

"Milady, what do you think? This arrangement, although unusual, is well-suited for the traffic that will pass through here. Master Bezan has a good eye for detail."

"I'm not sure, Jaxen," Garia replied. "This looks different than the last plan I saw, and it always looks different on a sheet of paper than the real thing. What am I looking at?"

"As you say, milady. Ah, the buildings this side of the road are the men's dormitories, excepting the first block we passed on the way in, which is the kitchen, and the next block, which is the women's dormitory. Wagons are parked between the blocks, as you can see, and any frayen put across the road like those."

"I see. So what are those blocks over there?"

"Those are the bath houses for each block this side, milady. You can see we have a walkway down the outside of both rows of blocks to give access during the rains so that servants can start boiling the water easily."

"So we have to cross the road to have a bath or use the toilet?"

"Aye, milady. There is a robing room to permit you to pass while wearing a cloak or, indeed, while fully clothed. I have not found the experience to be uncomfortable so far, though we have not suffered much bad weather since the site was rebuilt."

Garia looked around. At the outside edge of each row of buildings a covered walkway connected them, so that people could walk to and from the kitchen area without getting wet. There was a rudimentary wall of slats on the outside but the inside was open. The space between the blocks was partly covered so that their wagons would be sheltered, but getting from the dormitories to the bath houses meant crossing an open space - and a heavily used road.

She looked up, realizing that though the trees had been cleared around the site to 'a bowshot' Bezan had left trees that stood inside the site. This meant that the whole area was well shaded and sheltered. She nodded appreciation.

"If you and your party would bring your gear, milady," Jaxen suggested, "we can get you settled before the evening meal. You'll most likely have the women's dormitory to yourselves."

"Thank you, Jaxen."

With the help of some of their men their gear was soon installed in the women's dormitory, which consisted of two large rooms and four smaller chambers. Garia opted for them all to take one of the larger rooms. These were made from sawn timber, caulked with clay, much like pioneer cabins from the Old West, and Garia felt comfortably at home. The wood was all recently-felled which meant that there was a strong smell of wood sap in the building, powerful but very pleasant.

A girl entered while they were checking through the contents of the single chest each girl had brought into their chamber. She located Garia and curtseyed.

"Milady, there is hot water if you and your attendants wish to bathe before eating."

"That's a good idea! We'll have to cross over to use the toilets anyway, what do you girls think?"

There were nods of agreement and each selected a gown to wear for the evening meal, carrying them over an arm as the servant led them through the block and out a door at the far end. They crossed the access road and entered the bath house. The servant showed them where to hang their gowns while they used the toilet cubicles. There were four of these nearest the road, then two large chambers with tubs sunk in the floor, linen stores and finally a boiler room before the walkway on the further side of the site.

The tubs were big enough that all six could sink into the water and all promptly did so.

"Ooooh! That's nice," Merizel remarked, luxuriating in the steaming water. "I do like to ride but it makes the muscles stiff. Don't you find that, Garia?"

"It depends, but this time I agree with you, Merry. Senidet, I guess you'll appreciate this dip, won't you?"

"Aye, milady, parts of me are very sore! This water is a boon after such a ride." The young girl gave a shy smile. "I will not venture a saddle tomorrow, milady, if it please you. Though I find riding to be a pleasing activity my body does not. I will ride a wagon tomorrow and perhaps chance a saddle another day."

"That's no problem, Senidet. You practise riding at your own pace." Garia grinned. "Besides, I think that tomorrow Merry will want her own ride back."

Senidet was unused to communal bathing but reluctantly participated, relaxing as it soon became apparent that the others made no distinctions of rank at all, soaping and rinsing each other as circumstances required. Soon, they were all wrapped in towels, seated around the tub drying off.

"How did that girl know I was the Baroness?" Garia asked.

"Your hair, silly," Merizel replied. "They must have been warned we were all coming by an outrider who would have been sure to describe yourself and the Prince."

Garia palmed her forehead. "Duh! I forgot about the hair. And that's why all this hot water was ready, of course."

"Aye. I think this routine must be fairly standard with such places as these. What do you think of these buildings?"

"It's... different, I guess, but the traffic through here is not like that on the other routes, is it? And the location is such that almost everybody going between Blackstone and Tranidor is going to stop here overnight. I'm impressed how much they have done in the time."

"So am I. But the timber they needed was just outside. Bezan and his men have worked hard to build so much in the time."

"Considering the numbers of wagons already on the route they had little choice! Are we all dry, girls? Let's get dressed and see what the kitchens have to offer."

The space between their dormitory block and the kitchen block had been covered with awnings and floored with more sawn timber. Groups of tables, chairs and benches had been provided and by the time they had all prepared themselves the evening meal was ready to be served. When the girls arrived most of the men were already there, including a group of miners headed the other way. Garia waved an arm to prevent everybody rising at their appearance and led the others to a table where Keren, Feteran, Tanon, Yarling and Jaxen were waiting.

Keren smiled as they found seats. "Lots of hot water to sooth aching muscles?"

"Oh, yes." Garia smiled back. "Bezan and his friends did a good job here, didn't they?"

"They did. I'm sure that this design, or variations of it, will appear in other parts of Palarand soon," he added. Garia looked surprised. "Remember, the coal traffic will go at least as far south as Teldor just for the metal working. Once coal begins to be used in Central Palarand almost every stopping place will need to be made bigger."

"You knew that this would happen, milady," Tanon said. "The increased traffic can only be good for all of us."

The serving staff appeared and everyone decided what they were eating. To make life simpler the food was placed on the table and they all took what they needed, thus saving the serving staff from having to bring individual meals to each diner. There was wine, beer, fruit juices, pel and water to drink and Garia found herself beginning to doze as the meal came to an end. It had been a long day.

Severel appeared as the servants were clearing the table. He bowed to Keren.

"Highness, with your permission I will set my men to guard the Women's Dormitory during the night. This will permit your own men, and those of the Baroness, to have an uninterrupted night of sleep."

Keren frowned as he thought of possible problems or catches but he could find none. He nodded. "As you wish, Quadrant. Tomorrow's ride is the longer part so we must make sure that we do not delay our departure."

Severel bowed again. "As you say, Highness. We will be ready whenever you wish to leave."

In their dormitory the girls found that the roadhouse staff had prepared their beds and made everything ready. The girls sat on their beds for a while, talking in low voices, before the effect of their meals began to make them feel sleepy. As most of them climbed under the sheets Jenet walked around extinguishing all of the lanterns except one before she, too, slipped into bed. It was not long before all were sleeping soundly.

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm not sure I trust Quadrant Severel

I'm not sure I trust Quadrant Severel's men to guard the women's dormitory overnight. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Sounds like another

Sounds like another kidnapping plan. "Sure, you guys sleep. We'll 'stand guard' for you"


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I agree.

That is suspicious. I hope Keren has set a watch of his own, just to make sure things stay as they are. Oh, well. We'll find out in the next chapter won't we?

What, us? No, we're guarding. Just guarding.

Melange's picture

Not suspicious at all, that, right? :)

Though, it will be a good test on how trustworthy the Tranidor envoy (and lord) really is - and how well they paid attention when being told just what had happened during any previous attempts.

"And then we, acting as guards, lure her away and kidnap her! It's a perfect plan!"
"Son, look. She killed the last man who tried that, with her feet."

Ptuval device

As a U.S. Army combat veteran and a Clansman of Clan MacKinnon of Scotland I highly approve of this device.

I also concur with the poster above me about the night-time guard for the Women's Block. We still do not know how deep the cancer caused by Fikt is and who in Tranidor is affected by this. We all know that even members of the King's Guard and Duke Gil's Guard were affected so it stands to reason that Fikt would have attempted to suborn members of Trosanar's Guard as it is likely that Fikt did spend quite a bit of time in that town.

Not another kidnapping attempt, surely?

Turning sleepy quickly might not be because of it being a long day... And why accepting untrusted men as night guard for the most important person in the land right now? That sounds silly, she should ALWAYS be guarded by her own men, or possibly Keren's (Though that is not good practice in general). Glad to see them on the road again, I want to see more of the effects her revelations have brought to the world.

Eh. The best way to have

Eh. The best way to have drugged her would have been in the waterskin provided by Brazan, but I think that was a red herring. Riding for a day, then a full meal, would make them tired no matter what - they've been pushing hard, and are seeing the 'end' of the 'trial'.

So, I wouldn't look too hard at the 'sleepy' part.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Kidnapped, again !

I hope that her own guard are wary enough to anticipate any fowl play that may be hatched. It would seem that the promise of danger lies round every bend.

What is Garia thinking? She sounds very much as if she does not expect to be wed to her love. Sigh !

Surely her swords are close?

Gwendolyn

Cue the scary music.

I fear that there is to many ways for this to go wrong. I am afraid that the food may have been drugged making it easier for a grab and bag to happen to our Barroness. I am very surprise that the prince would allow this.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to

I wouldn't be surprised to find at least two guards (one Keren, one Garia) set far outside to watch the Count's guards, and be ready to raise the alarm.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I wouldn't be surprised

My thoughts exactly. Put sleeper guards out at a distance and wait for whatever is to happen.

DJ

A good commander would not allow this to pass.

D. Eden's picture

First, I would never allow a force of which I was unsure to guard the Baroness - that's pretty basic.

Second, no one finds it the least bit coincidental that the women were all falling asleep shortly after the meal?

Third, the obvious comment about the wagons passing without paying a toll should have raised an alarm.

I could go on ad infinitum, but the point here is that there is obviously skulduggery afoot. I can only wonder just exactly how it will happen, what will happen to Garia and the other girls, and how Keren will react. Perhaps we'll find out that Keren and Feteran have a plan of their own in place already, or perhaps this will result in a cross country chase, or a long journey searching for Garia.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see! Another wonderful addition to the story!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Blandel, the mason

I note that Blandel, the town mason, is in play again without any mention of how or when he regained his health after being at death's door from Trogan's acts.

DJ

Another super chapter

Well done Penny,

that's got us readers wondering......

However, I would like to say to my fellow commentators that there was a small interlude in this last chapter, where K and G called all the guard to them and stated that Lord T's lot aren't to be trusted. I do not believe for one moment that everyone would forget this meeting so quickly - and therefore I suspect that Severel's suggestion was accepted at face level only. Both Feteran and Keren are probably leaving him enough rope .......

And if nothing happens, then Lord T's men have passed one of many tests before they gain the trust of the others.

I think young Penny is playing with our emotions.

Have a good evening all

Julia

I Think You are Correct

We've already learned the don't trust the other guy's guards lesson. In addition, while Trosanar may want to gain some advantage, a direct move against Garia (treason) or even having her "apparently" taken from his care (failure to accomplish an ordered duty from his King) is likely a heads off move. Of course, it's possible that Trosanar is extremely stupid.

Our authoress is likely using mis-direction on us. We'll find out (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Bearing in mind ...

Bearing in mind that Trosanar's men are suspect, I think Garia and the prince might be setting a trap for Trosanar's men with Garia as the bait.

bev_1.jpg

The journey begins...

It appears as though the women of Blackstone fully expect Garia and Keren to tie the knot - traditions be dammed! :D

As for Severel, he may be up to something, but then again he may be as clueless about Garia as he's appeared - and the story of what happened during the last kidnap attempt may act as a further disincentive, not to mention the dorms they're in appear to be near the rear of the complex, so any unscheduled departures would be sure to wake up light sleepers; and if caught (there'd be no doubt as to his guilt given the number of people who've seen him and know his position) he'd face certain execution (probably alongside anyone caught directly aiding and abetting) and Trosanar (as his effective employer) would be rather disgraced as well (especially since the orders they are supposed to be following originate from Robinar). It wouldn't surprise me if Penny's choice of name turns out to be misdirection - just as with a chap with a similar name in the Potterverse.

Besides which, when they eventually reach town, it's quite possible Garia may be able to negotiate some kind of deal - either direct tolling or shadow tolls (i.e. a lump sum paid on the basis of the expected traffic) to cover the costs of road maintenance and use of communal facilities.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I have questions...

about several developments here. While the townspeople of Blackstone seem to take it for granted that Keren and Garia will wed, Garia seems rather uncertain all of a sudden. Perhaps she is realizing that nobles in this society often wed for reasons other than love. We shall see.

As for drugging Garia (ano the other women), the waterskin was provided by Brazan who has never shown a sign of treachery. Mayb e that's the point; of course, someone else could have FILLED the skin and given it to Braan "for mi'lady."

As to the food being drugged, look at the paragraph on how the table was set; that would seem to make drugging one or a few individuals tricky. Of course we haven't heard if (1) the Guardsmen of our party are suddenly sleeply and (2)whether the suspect guards ate with them.

I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

Dong a great job keeping us engaged, Penny.

Styx

I seriously doubt

that Keren and Feteran are taking Several at face value. They will be posting their own guards secretly to protect Garia and the others. I'll bet that Garia's swords are also handy.

Tune in next week, same Bat time and same Bat channel. Something is about to happen.

Much Love,

Valerie R

I bet that

Garia is playing possum. I hope lol!

Great chapter as always. :}

Vivien

Too Good to Be True

terrynaut's picture

The trip has been too easy. Something is going to happen. We'll see next chapter.

I'm imagining Snep comes to the rescue but I know that's not going to happen. I'm sure Keren and Feteran will post men, assuming they haven't all been drugged. If they are all drugged, that would only leave Snep... and the dranakh I suppose. Just sayin'.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Historical note

Brooke Erickson's picture

Sheriff was originally "shire reeve". A reeve was originally the highest Crown officer in an area. So the shire reeve was the head honcho in a shire.

Over time it ran together into "sheriff".(a few pronunciation changes helped).

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Oh Ye Of Little Faith

joannebarbarella's picture

Keren and Feteran (and Garia) are awake to the possibility of treachery. This is a trap for Severel....anyway, he's just not bright enough,

Joanne

I hope that the door has been

I hope that the door has been locked and maybe blocked by a trunk or two, I do not trust Severel and his men. Great story thanks for sharing.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Hm.... Considering the

Hm....

Considering the Dranakh have already come to her/their rescue once - without prompting - what might happen here, or in town? I mean, what sort of wall or gate is _really_ going to stop four to eight hippo sized animals if they really don't want to stop?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

An Author Replies

Heh, heh, heh.

I didn't expect quite so much suspicion, paranoia or conspiracy as I read above... put it down to the times we live in, I guess.

I must apologize to my readers. I was not sufficiently alert to the possibilities when I posted this... perhaps if I had been, then I might have rewritten certain parts. Hey ho! What we have is fun enough, and some of you have made suggestions as to how this might be resolved. Me? I'm saying nothin'. You'll have to wait until it arrives.

I've been struggling lately, partly with health and partly with Real Life distractions. This is holding me up somewhat and making writing difficult. This is extremely frustrating when I know that, once I sit at the keyboard, I have enough in the brainbox to let it pour out almost without pause. Aaargh!

I've written this as the only comment I shall make to this chapter. If I were tempted to reply to individual comments it would probably blow the plot wide open, so I'm keeping this as a simple acknowledgment. I have read all your comments and I can tell you that I appreciate every single one of them. Thank you for caring about my meager scribblings, it encourages me to press on, whatever the obstacles ahead.

Penny

All the hugs!

Melange's picture

We also appreciate every chapter you provide us with, Penny-person! With as tangled a web as this story is, can you blame us for seeing plots and conspiracies everywhere? Everywhere?
I swear, we'll have a Dranakh uprising before long!

Well, you're now alert to the

Well, you're now alert to the possibilities, and I'm sure your brain is churning away at *warning, this is a plot complication* *warning, this is a plot complication* ways to deal with the problems - real or otherwise.

As for paranoia and conspiracies... WHY WOULDN'T WE!? So far, we've seen bunches and bunches of them, from the small scale (Yolda) to the large (Yod).

I mean, we have disgruntled guilds, we have at least one, if not more, Questers that no longer have their stipend from the king, we have greedy fools (Trosanar/Moroskin), we have criminals (Trogan and his lot - do we get to find out who the person was who had his papers stolen?), we could have people in trade upset because _they_ aren't being the ones taking advantage of Garia's ideas over ..(Just forgot the name? Jaxon's boss), woman haters among the nobles, nobles who want _their_ sons to marry Garia, or cousins/daughters to marry Keren... and we haven't even left the country. What will Keren's sisters say, or their spouses?

Heck - the tanners might be upset that they'll have to come up with cleaner ways to deal with their products? (there are ways to do it without arsenic compounds. Tanning will always be smelly, but it doesn't have to be toxic. Also, if the pakh are moved - which I recommend they do to the other side of the river - the tanners and tanneries would follow. You do your processing as close as you can to the source of the hides. Frayen, Dranahk, or pakh. (or other animals). Mining country would be terrible for it, but if you left the other side for agriculture, at least until the coal was exhausted on _this_ side, you could keep the two completely separated without making other nobles too angry. "See, there's nothing being done on that side to make money. They're just raising food and clothing. No threats there".

It would also allow you to have cesspools for the tanning effluvia to be drained off into (you line the pools with thick clay and/or concrete), and then you allow evaporation to reduce the drainage to minerals. As I recall, and my memory isn't that good, once you got rid of the heavy metals, like arsenic, the effluvia was pretty much fertilizer.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I'd coment on this chapter but my keybiard would explode

As to all that may or may not happen, plots, conspiracies, ambushes, I prefer Occam's Razor, think it is called.

IE the one that says the simplest explanation for something is likely the truth.

I suspect that officer is as naive as some suspect or has been given bad orders.

The local lord would be a fool to disobey the King.

He will likely try and wield some advantaged from it but why hurt Garia or the Prince?

What would he gain?

People act and react for emotional and monetary reasons.

Why attack Garia?

Yod, yes to protect their lock on improved tech.

Ludite types, perhaps yes too.

But rivals within Parland? Unless he has a huge base of secret support, holding either for ransom would be a death sentence.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

That is my thought too

To do anything against either would bring huge hammer down on him.

But, 'accidents' can happen and that would be the only possible way Trosanar can do away with it and possibly weasel his way into annexing Garia's barony afterwards as I believe it adjoins his.

Kim

Trosanar's gain ....

I need to go back and check, but I believe that somewhere there was a worry that rival miners could set up on the other side of the Bray to Blackstone, up at the Valley Head.
In order to head (*groan*) this off, Keren whipped out his instant border changer, and ceded the lands to Garia, acting as the agent for Duke Gil.....

This suggests to me that rivers form borders of lands.

When I was drawing up the maps, I was very strongly aware that Tranidor is entirely on the west bank of the Bray. In fact the trade route needs a turn off to get to the bridge into Tranidor.
I therefore suspect that Lord T's lands don't actually cross the river.
In which case, all the traffic on that route would not be in his control and he would be receiving no tribute from it.
I think he's trying to expand his desmesne across the waters in order to chisel more coin out of the populace.
He probably wants to casually leave his six-man squad at the roadhouse and then after the winter months, claim it as his due to longevity of occupation.
We also know from the beginning of the Trogan chapter, that it is traditional to charge a fee for crossing a bridge that leads into towns. If memory serves (always doubtful at my age) Helen refuted Trogan's claim that there is a charge for EVERY bridge, just those leading into important places.

I suspect that Lord T just wants to charge something for the traffic that passes Tranidor without crossing the river. It probably wasn't that important as the Chaarn traffic is/was so slight. But now there threatens to be a positive flood of wagons that are in effect flaunting their presence without contributing to his coffers, so old Lord 'Mr. Pinbrain' T is grabbing for greed, without thinking things through.

There have been enough hints throughout the main story, and in a Julina Chronicle or two, that Lord T is more than a little insensitive.

What really intrigues me though is just how the conversation between Yarling and Moroskin is going to go. You may remember that Morisikin sent Yarling to Blackstone to fleece as much coin as possible ....

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

He'd have a hard time seizing

He'd have a hard time seizing the road house. It's well within Garia's lands. Also, there's going to be that nature preserve (I'm assuming that Keren probably already wrote it up as part of one of the letters to Gilbanar)

Heh. I'm suspecting that Gilbanar, after finding out about Trogan, has been setting fire to his clerks to figure out which tax assessor is dead, and why he hadn't found out about it earlier. He's probably also trying to find out why Holeville is so bad without being reported (stewards of the land and all that)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Jurisdisction

Hi bibliophage.

With the very greatest of respect, the roadhouse is NOT in Garia's lands. The roadhouse is deep in the forest. Garia's lands do not even stretch as far as the start of the forest.

The nature reserve has not actually been allocated just yet, I believe. Keren just said he would do it. I THINK,(can't be bothered to go hunt for it) but Keren was going to recommend it to Uncle Gil to get formal permission.

But I can say with absolute certainty that the roadhouse is not within Garia's desmesne.

Cheers

Di.

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Hm... Okay - I was reading it

Hm...

Okay - I was reading it as there were _two_ Roadhouses between Tranidor and Blackstone. The first being the one that they found suspicious (and completely out of Blackstone's range, and hinted to be out of Trosanar's), the second being burned down. There are two ways to look at roadhouse distances. One would be that the road houses are one days travel apart, the other that they are one _half_ a days travel apart (for a fully loaded wagon). For a horse and wagon, the best you can generally hope for is 20 miles of travel a day, and probably closer to 10 in hilly regions.

So, I assumed that a roadhouse that was 10 miles from the town would be _in_ the Barony itself, especially when it was being built by Garia, with very little input from Keren.

(I'm not going back and re-reading that section right this minute, so bear with me)

They stopped well short of the burned out camp, moved to the old Chivan lodge area, then passed the burned out section. Less than half a days travel, they then hit a 'stopping' section just outside the town to have lunch and discuss what was going on.

_Now_ do you see where I get the idea that the roadhouse is in her demensne without it being a huge distance away?

If Trosanar wanted to make a land grab, he would have to grab every bit of land between _both_ road houses - and I think the Duke would be a bit upset to hear about that.

It looks like, in France, the size of a barony after the 1780's was roughly determined to be the distance one man could ride in a day. Otherwise, it could range from a few acres with a manor house to thousands of people and be huge. One recommended source (not by me, but another site) is Suzi Yee's 'A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe' which contains a good breakdown of fedual structures (explanations designed for gaming, of course)

A Count (to me, again) would be in charge of a major area. Large town, water confluences, trade center, etc. A duke would be in charge of a City (as his 'home base') Then, of course, there's a March. (Let's not go there)

Considering the Stone Sea, and the construction of a Vale (traveled a LOT in West Virginia to visit family), the forest _would be in the Vale_. Or rather, the opening of the Vale would be extremely forested. So, the "whole of Blackstone Vale" would _have_ to include a chunk of forest - and I assumed the road house was at the beginning/edge of that chunk. (Of course, I'm also assuming - a lot of assumptions - that the Vale is using the definition of a narrow valley with a river or stream running down the middle. )

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Very close ...

... but a factor you might be missing is that of the tree line - it is entirely plausible that the BS area is above the tree line. I think if you have a quick look at the maps that Di produced, then a lot might come clearer!

I understand your thoughts, I'm not saying that anything is right or wrong. Penny has a declared policy of letting the reader do the imagining for themselves.

Have a good Sunday

J

Di's right - Garia's lands

Hi Bibliophage,

I can confirm that Di is correct. The roadhouse is indeed deep in the forest.

Here is what Penny told us about Garia's lands .....

"I don't think that will prove so great a problem, Master Yarling," Keren responded. "Duke Gilbanar has given me specific authority to vary the Baroness's grant if it should become necessary. You all understand that the original grant was but a token to provide Lady Garia with her title. From what I have seen and heard these last weeks since I have resided here it is clear that the whole valley must be considered as part of the same plan. Therefore I am minded to extend her grant to include the whole width of the valley and from the border set by the Stone Sea all the way as far as the forest."

So we can see immediately that the forest is not in Garia's lands.

I don't mean this confrontationally, but just to correct an impression that others may have gleaned from your words. It would be amiss of me not to make this small correction when I have certain knowledge of it. I would hate others to get a false impression and assume that Garia 'rules' over a far larger area than she does.

The roadhouse is relatively far from Garia's lands, although it is staffed by people who probably come originally from Blackstone, that still being the nearest town.

The whole point of all the faffing around with the boundaries of the land was that the original grant was of a very tiny piece, to include the town, the east bank of the Bray one mark above and below the confluence and the whole of Blackstone Vale. Large enough to be termed a Barony, but so small as to fail to alarm other nobles.

Personally, I think Duke G should grant her all the lands of the Bray Valley down to the confluence of the Bray with the Palar at Tranidor, and also include the east bank of the Palar further downstream, certainly to include Holville. I would like to see it extend to Haligo, that would put Lord T's nose severely out of joint. But that might start costing the Duke a large loss of income.

I'm sure Penny has a few more surprises in store for us - and I for one can't wait.

Hopefully, I have a few surprises for you all too. Julina's next will open a few eyes and raise a few eyebrows, I'm sure.

Yours most respectfully

Joolz

As I've pointed out above, if

As I've pointed out above, if you've travelled in the mountains (especially old mountains, which these appear to be), valleys (and vales, which have watercourses) slope down into central flat areas. Those are heavily forested. The forests start _up_ the valley, then spread out in the large flat areas. (more protected for the trees. That's why tops of mountains are often pretty bald. Too exposed). If an entire valley is used (The whole of Blackstone Vale) then a chunk of forest will get laid claim to.

Send me a PM if you want, and I'll dig up the Google Maps satellite photo of where my mother's family is from. There were only two main directions. Up, and down. :)

I'm not objecting to Penny saying that the roadhouse _isn't_ in Garia's land. (Although then you have to wonder who should be staffing/paying for it) I'm simply saying that from the descriptions, general definitions, and my experience with that kind of terrain, I assumed that the closest roadhouse was at the edge of the area known as "Blackstone Vale".


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Quadrant Severel

Elsbeth's picture

Yay another chapter, well Quadrant yes dont really trust him either but then again he might just be trying to get on Garia & Keren good side as well. Its all politics :)

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Tixi's Thoughts

When are we to be treated to more frayen thoughts or conversations? It's good for a brief change up.

Best,

DJ

Trouble

I wonder if the guards are going to pull something

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Heads up

Jamie Lee's picture

One thing that has happened since Garia arrived is the guilds working together to make many of the items now in existance. That corporation has yet to filter to all of the cities in the north.

That applies to the little nobles who seem to care more for coin than what's best for everyone. Because a lot of things are at the Kings' decree, if they have problems with not collecting tolls then they should apply to the King with their complaints.

The fox guarding the hen house? Really? When they smell a dirty sock within the clean clothes? Perhaps the hound should station a few of his own to watch the fox just in case their suspecsions are true.

Others have feelings too.