Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2302

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2302
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I spoke with Stephanie immediately after dinner. “I thought she promised you no more suicide attempts?”

I blushed, how come she could remember this and I couldn’t? “Now you mention it, she did.”

“Well then, call her on it.”

“Is that wise, it’s all been rather traumatic today.”

“I hope you tell her as well that she won’t get any more pills until the end of the month and then you’ll dole them out one at a time. It’s not a guaranteed way to top yourself anyway.”

“None of them had dissolved through the enteric coating.”

“Got you all running round like headless chickens.”

“Meaning ?”

“It was a parasuicide. She registered her displeasure.”

“Oh,” I thought about the way she’d stage managed it all. Yes she’d taken pills, but then I can’t remember how many we saw and how dangerous they’d actually be. She acted as if she’d taken something which was affecting her more than the pills would have done. There can’t have been more than half a dozen so Stephanie could well be right. I’m rather glad we made her drink the salt water, serve her right.

“What’s for dinner tomorrow?”

“I don’t know, but I could tell David we have an extra.”

“You drive a hard bargain,” she threw at me.

“Danielle has soccer practice after school.”

“Fine, I’ve patients all afternoon, so I’ll pick up Emily and we’ll be over sometime after six.”

“Thanks, Stephanie.”

“It had better be a good dinner.”

“I’ll get him to kill the fatted cat.”

“Cat? Shouldn’t that be calf?”

“Good lord, no. Wouldn’t get one of those in the oven.”

“Right, cat it is then.” She said with no enthusiasm at all. Perhaps I’d gone too far. One day I will.

I found Danielle doing her homework but she was on her own, so I sat opposite her in the dining room. “I thought we had an understanding, young lady.”

She looked up with a frown, “What d’you mean?”

“You promised me you wouldn’t try to harm yourself again.”

“You told me I would always be able to play soccer.”

“I’ve kept my word.”

“But you wouldn’t sign the forms.”

“I have signed the forms.”

“Oh, but you wouldn’t earlier.”

“That was before I spoke with Jason.”

“You’ve spoken with him.”

“Yes.”

“So I can play tomorrow?”

“If it’s a training session, you might not play very much.”

“Okay, but you know what I mean.”

“I can still tear up the forms.”

“But you said you’d signed them.”

“You told me you wouldn’t take any further overdoses or other forms of self harm.”

“I was upset.”

“So was I, but I didn’t try to hurt myself. Now unless you promise me that you won’t try anything like that again, you can kiss your soccer career goodbye now.”

“I promise.”

“That’s not good enough. I’m going to draw up an agreement which we’ll both sign. If you mess me about again, like you did tonight, I’ll withdraw my agreement for you to play football again and make you join the netball team.”

“But I’m crap at netball...”

“All the better.”

“That’s not fair.”

“Neither is worrying Auntie Stella and I to death.”

“I’m sorry, Mummy.”

“Save the crocodile tears, just remember, if you don’t keep your word there will be consequences and I’ll make sure you don’t enjoy them.”

She nodded. I left her to finish her homework and went off to my study after leaving David a note on the fridge door. I felt angry with Danni but knew that I couldn’t show it without setting her off to do something more likely to cause herself harm. I couldn’t win this without showing a restrained but firm, tough love. Despite all the accusations she made, Danni knew jolly well that we all love her. In fact she played on it, as teenagers will. She’ll now learn there are consequences.

That night I watched her go to bed without making it obvious. She is still a bit of a powder keg, so needs some careful watching and guiding. After she put her light out I went and did some research on the internet for tomorrow. That went quite well.

In bed alone, I had an awful dream in which I went to get her up and found her cold and stiff in bed. I think I felt physically sick when I woke up in a cold sweat. I went to the loo but wasn’t sick. I did however, check on Danielle and she was fast asleep. It took me ages to get back off again. When I opened a bleary eye after the alarm went off I knew it wasn’t likely to be a good day. I struggled out of bed and roused the others, making sure that Danni was both alive and well.

She it seems had slept quite well and got up and dashed into the shower before I could get the others under the warm stream of water. She was positively zinging along as she contemplated the evening’s game or practice session. I felt like piece of wet rag and I suspect I might have looked the part too.

Somehow, I got them all to school and then nipped home and did some more survey work before trundling to the hairdresser’s for a tidy up. When I got home and sorted the little one, I sat down with a cuppa and fell asleep in the chair, little Lizzie cooing and yelping in my lap.

At the training session I watched her with the other girls and it was obvious she had something special. Even a non-footballer like me could see it. I spoke with the secretary of the team and told her I wasn’t prepared to sign the original contract so had got my lawyer to drawup a fresh one. That clearly impressed her and she took the contract and slipped off to see the chairman.

He came back looking very suspiciously at me with the contract still in his hand. “What was wrong with our original?” he asked.

“It was rubbish and gave you all the advantages.”

“A team is more than just one player.”

“I accept the premise but in practice, it is about one or two players and Danielle is the best player there, which of course you already know.”

“We’re looking to develop them all.”

“You forgot to cross your fingers, now you’ll have to turn round three times while saying some hail Marys.”

“I beg your pardon, Mrs—um—Cameron.”

“You told a lie.”

“Now look here.”

“Wheesht.” I demanded holding up my finger. “Just keep quiet.” I insisted. I then explained that I’d watched his side train earlier and they had all the talent of a bottle of rancid beer compared to my daughter.

“You forget a team isn’t about just one player.”

“Tell that to George Best because Manchester United were built around him and Dennis Law.”

“You look a bit young to know about such things.”

“My dad was a football nut.”

“I see. Okay, we’ll accept your redraft but I want her to sign for two years.”

“And what will the retainer be?”

“Retainer? This is a school girl we’re talking about, who might well get herself pregnant and leave anyway once she’d fifteen.”

“She’s the best player you have, she just doesn’t know it quite yet. Once she does, you’ll be hard pressed to keep her for a fee, because other clubs will offer something more substantial.”

“We’ll offer her twenty pounds a week if she turns up for training and matches.”

“Done.” I said and offered my hand which he took and shook very gingerly.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Soft beds ...

and hard bargains, sounds like a marriage made in .... 'Law perhaps?'

Kid's hardly in her teens and already the bottom feeders are gathering. She's going to need a lot of support; caring, friendly, parental support that is. Look what happened to George Best!!!

Nice chapter Ang.

Still lovin' it.

xx

bev_1.jpg

20 quid a week?! Is a steal

20 quid a week?! Is a steal really. But of course it's the women's, or rather the girl's league, not the testosterone fueled one.

In there they are going after 9 to 10 yr olds, internationally scouting all over the world. Some go as far as offer signing money, year's wages, and housing for the whole family, just for the mere change the little talent will pan out as the next Messi, Ronaldo, or Bale ( if you're want to keep it closer to home country UK ).

Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Male sports are so dominant in ratings and attracting the big(ger) money. Granted, there are a few countries with a fairly decent women's football league where players are earning respectable wages, but nowhere near as in male football.

I am glad to see Dani getting a little push back for all the shenanigans she has pulled. Otoh, she's had a trying time all in all. Let's not forget the trauma which comes with rape. Suicide attempt(s). Gender confusion. DIY surgery. Peer pressure, and/or induced anxiety. Environment change -having to switch schools- Gender outlook irreversibility.

It is said that children are remarkably resilient, and that may be true, but there is an end to any tether I think. I hope there is some sun to shine for Dani in her -immediate- future, and on. Anyway, I so enjoy your writings Angharad, do go on for a long long time :)

Jo-Anne

That chairman was kidding right?

Everything is open to negotiation.

When it comes to things like football in Europe, getting significant talent is always a hard fought thing I would imagine.

$20 pounds a week for a 15

$20 pounds a week for a 15 year old girl I guess is okay; but once the team owner/s, manager and other players watch Danni closely; and discover she is going to be one of, if not the, star player in the league, then I would say all bets are off and the financial negotiations are one big time. I would also have Jason already preparing a contract with all the stipulations built into it to protect Danni, as she is a minor, and by law can't legally sign any form of legal documents. Unless that is, the UK is different than the US laws in regards to age.
Somehow I sense this chairman, even tho he said "Mrs." Cameron, does not really know who Cathy actually is, so he just might find himself in some serious hot water down the road if he tries to "play her".

Burn off some of that energy.

Perhaps the footie will be enough distraction to keep her more centered.

G

Teen brains

Podracer's picture

Not wired up into a proper social condition. Kids are naturally self centred until the years when it all goes mad, I can't really feel what must go on in Danni's head dropping all that trauma into the middle of it as well. Like Gwen I hope the footie is a lifeline. Maybe cycling as a cross training might help. It's somewhere to think, in the saddle, and maybe relate to Mum.

"Reach for the sun."

Last night the incredibly insightful comment I typed was lost

when I hit the preview button and got a "site offline" screen so I'll try to recreate but we all know that the inspiration of the moment is lost.....

Was impressed by Stephanie's analysis of Danni's "suicide". Liked her request for dinner menu before agreeing to visit. They pay her too don't they? It's not just food.

The tough love was a good move and I like the idea of a contract. Sad that Cathy had to suffer with a nightmare like she had but that's the life of a mom.

I liked her negotiating with the club chairman but I really don't think the 20 per week is a very good deal. Should have added a performance bonus.

Oh myyy...

You know, I'm wondering if Danni would "benefit" from the experience my daughter had, when she had "suicidal" thoughts... Never again was her reaction... (Admitted to a psych ward for observation and testing. Very traumatic experience in so many ways.)

Sad that Danni does such to manipulate the environment, and effectively gets away with it. *sighs* Growing up, I suspect I'd have been grounded a long time and lost that opportunity (however nice)... as well. But then, I don't think I'd have gotten there either. By Danni's age, I'd already "learned" how important it was to "blend in" and not "make waves".

As to the Contracts... Far to often, it is as bad, or worse than described. Some of the things I've been asked to sign for customers have been amazing in what they actually say/imply.

Thanks,
Annette