When tales come true Chapter 01

Printer-friendly version

This is a very short teaser to see if people want more of this story. If you do please comment and let me know.

When tales come true.

Chapter 1

The Mirror

Jenny and I were talking at school. I was telling her tales of the Grand Hall of Crystalis. She was lapping it up. She loved my stories. I was fond of telling them and always had a never ending notebook of them. She would ask questions and I would have answers ready for all of them.

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Eric Vine. I am a 14 year old guy who lives in a small town in Washington state. I am not that much to look at 5 foot even and 100 lbs plain as the day is long. I am the totally invisible type. If it was not for my knack at telling tales no one would notice me at all. Jenny Fay on the other hand is 5 foot 2 inches 105 lbs of pure loveliness. She has red hair that looked like a artist painted it with the colors of a sunset. Well back to the story.

This time I was telling her how the mages got to the hall. I described the way to pass through a full size mirror by magic. We were in the class room where she was making a dress for class. I was just hanging out and telling tales to keep her company. Jenny stopped me for a moment with a question. "You said that only those bearing the Rose Crest can pass through the mirror?" she asked. "Yep you have to have the ring to get in." I replied. She asked me to describe the ring again. I did and she got this sly look in her eye. "Sounds just like the ring you wear on your finger." Darn it she caught me. I grinned and held up my hand. "Well what do you know I guess you are right." I tried to joke it off. She took my hand I thought she was going to look at the ring, I was wrong. When she slipped the ring off my finger I was stunned so did not react. She quickly stepped over to the big mirror in the back of the room. She tapped the four corners then knocked in the center three times calling out the name of the Great Hall of Crystalis. I moved to her side when the mirror clouded over. I grabbed her hand as she was pulled in.

The passage was quick like passing between rooms. It did disorient a person though. Jenny fell to the floor pulling me down with her. It could be fun but this was not the time for playing around. I stood back up and sighed. Well one secret was out, at least how I got some of my stories. Jenny was looking at me for answers. Dang it, now that she was here I would have to tell her at least part of the truth. I just hope Darla was not in the Hall right now or it all will come out.

I helped Jenny up and said "Welcome to the Great Hall of Crystalis!" I could see she had a million questions but just then a voice came from deeper in the Hall called out "Ember is that you?" Dang my luck is just not with me today, Darla was home. Before I could think of how to answer without giving another of my secrets away Darla came in the mirror room. Seeing Jenny surprised her. When her eyes fell on me I could tell she was mad. Jenny took a half step behind me not knowing what to do.

"Introductions are in order don't you think?" Darla glared at me as she said this. I sighed and stated "Lady Darla Del La Rose I would like to introduce Jenny Fay. Jenny this is Lady Darla Del La Rose current Head of The Great Hall of Crystalis." I guess I did all right because Darla did not scold me. Darla Inclined her head to Jenny and Jenny curtsied. That was just the right thing for both to do. They looked over each other and seemed satisfied. Darla turned to me and frowned "Why are you wearing that, you know the rules! Get changed now!" Her scowl told me she meant NOW! I guess here goes another secret. I whispered to Jenny "Don't freak please." I closed my eyes and started the change. My hips stretched a bit outward and my breast grew three cup sizes. My skin paled, softened and body hair disappeared. My head hair lengthened and lips plumped. My nails became jewels. My pants and shirt turned into a dress that mirrored Darla's except mine was silver where hers was rose colored. After all this I looked like a pretty young lady. When I opened my eyes Jenny just stared and then giggled.

Jenny asked "Eric what's going on I don't understand?" I sighed "Out in the world I am Eric Vine but here I am know as Ember Rose Del La Silver a mage of this Hall." Jenny giggled again "Are you saying out there you are a boy and here you are a girl? Is that what you are telling me?" Darla decided to chime in at that point with "Only women can be mages here so when he tested as being born with strong magic something had to change. What changed was him into her it has worked out real well so far." I huffed "It was not all that easy. I don't live here full time so I live two lives. When I finish high school I will decide where and who I will live as."

up
273 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good start

to your story GypsyWoman , I for one would love to read a lot more of Eric/Embers back story, Seems to me you have a lot of scope for stories both looking back at how Eric arrived in this new world , And equally looking forward to the decision that will have to be taken soon , Although i would have to say given a choice between being a magic user or not , The choice for me would be easy ...

Having said that it does seem likely that there will be downsides to living in this new world , Quite what they are remains to be seen but you can be pretty certain there would a few things you would rather not meet ...

Kirri

Yeah, I'll bite !@

This is an intriguing start, unique enough to follow it's own path or with minor copies of previous works. Yeah, . . . on with it , . . Please ~!~ jjc

johncorc1

More please

This is my favorite type of storyline. I for one would def like to know the back story but I'm sure the back story could be filled in during the current one.

BitStream

Waiting

Waiting for the next chapter to see where you are going with this story ,but I'm on board so please more chapters

Bravo

Dahlia's picture

Please, more. Bravo and an excellent start to a great series. Thanks

Dahlia

"I live two lives"

a lot of us did that at one point or another.

DogSig.png

Short teaser indeed

Tas's picture

If there were another chapter I would be reading it right now. I would certainly count among those who would be interested in seeing more of this story :)

-Tas

Encore

Bravo! Definitely needs an encore.

Good Start

Daphne Xu's picture

I hope we find out more of that world behind the mirror.

"Only women can be mages here so when he tested as being born with strong magic something had to change." Unfair sex discrimination! Apparently, Eric was born in that world, but with a strong magic ability. Can't that rule be repealed?

My guess: Eric's parents sent him (back?) to this world to be educated -- perhaps the way many 19th-Century elite Americans sent their offspring back to Europe to be educated.

Maybe this is all symbolic: living in the real world vs. living in the online WWW world. The protagonist is a GIRL (or G.I.R.L.).

-- Daphne Xu