When tales come true Chapter 04

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 4

The Talk

When we got back to the classroom Jenny seemed to have everything in hand. Looks are deceiving. Tara wanted to know where The Great Hall was located and other questions Jenny could not answer. The questions came fast and from all the girls as soon as I entered the room. I answered what I could but a lot of answers were "You will find out in time." This is not what I wanted I wanted to settle things with Angel.

Angel did not talk during the questions. She let me field all of them. This was really annoying to me. After all this was her world we were talking about. In a lull of questions I turned to Angel "You know you can answer some of these it is your world after all!" Angel got this stubborn look on her face "NO! I will not inform outsiders about my world!" At that moment I understood. I knew why the Queen sent the princess away. I also knew why the Princess was so angry. The Princess is a Bigot!

I sighed "Your going have to loose the attitude if your going to make it here for a year.
You are not a Princess here, Angel. You are a schoolgirl like any other. You will need to depend on others to get you up to speed and there will be no slack given. The people around you right now are your only resource for knowledge and training. So suck it up and let's work together!" I sighed again at her look. She was not going to give in easy.

Just then a part of the mirror fogged over. After a moment a package came through and landed on the floor. On the top was a scroll. I picked it up and read the name inscribed there. It read Eric Vine, my name in this world. I checked the seal and found it was from the Queen. I broke the seal and read the letter.

Eric Vine,

I regret to inform you of your banishment from The Great Hall of Crystslis for the period of one earth year. This goes for all in your service and as well as the former Princess now going by the name of Angel Flower. This decision was a difficult one and I hope it does not anger you. It is the way it has to be.

Queen Aslina Delnora Del La Skyflower

Well that is that. We can't go back so I am glad I grabbed my stores before leaving. I will need to find a place to practice my magic and a place to be Ember if I can. I looked up at the Princess and decided. I handed her the scroll. She looked at it for a moment then dropped it and walked to the other side of the room. I picked up the package wile the girls checked out the scroll.

Inside the package was a bag of holding containing all my Ember stuff. That made it complete, I was kicked out. I wanted to cry but it was not right for Eric. If I was Ember I would not think of it I would just cry away but not as Eric. In the package was also four books, starter books of magic. Well Jenny and the girls were set to start learning. Then I thought the Queen only banished us from The Great Hall. There are other places that the mirror portal could take us. I smiled I would need to think on this.

It was time for lunch so we headed out. Jenny asked "What you going to do now?" I smiled "I am not stopped yet." Jenny looked at me funny as we went into the cafeteria. Angel sat with us after getting her lunch by copying the others. I knew it would be a shift in thinking for her but I could not help that. Lunch passed with little talking.

I had my bag in the classroom so I could start to work on my alterative. Before The Great Hall of Crystalis there was another place that mages gathered to live and learn. This place had many names but most called it Sanctuary. It is forgotten by all but the storytellers now. Here is where my hobby comes in handy again. Now if I can only make a key to get there. The girls and I headed for the classroom after lunch. I was going over all the story's for hints of the portal address. So I was not watching Angel that hard. As soon as got back she walked up to the mirror took out a ring and tried to open a portal. It did not work and she stated to get really upset. That brought me out of my thoughts. I walked over and said "It won't work. They blocked the rings from the other side. You might as well put that ring away for the next year." At that she swung on me. She was not a fighter so I avoided the swing easy. There was tears in her eyes. I did not know what to do so I took hold of her firmly but gently and let her cry it out! I did not need this but she did so I did it.

When Angel calmed down I decided to tell the other's my plan. Hopefully Sanctuary would be our new home and training ground. I first retold the stories about Sanctuary and the exile of the mages. This helped me get my mind in tune with the purpose I had in mind. Then I told them I could make a portal ring that would take us there. While I was doing this I was working on some silver and a sapphire. The crest on the ring was like the pendant I wore, a sword and blue rose. It had fine detail all over that I really pushed myself to do well. This was the crest of my house so I put my all into it. It took me most of what was left of the day to make the ring. I would have to do the enchantments on Sunday.

The girls loved the tales and watched my hands making the ring. When I held it up they all clapped even Angel. I told them that I would set the enchantments on the ring wile they were in church tomorrow. That got a Aww but I needed the alone time for that. It was going to be hard without going into Ember mode. Seven layers of enchantments is not easy to do in one day. So I held fast on what I asked.

Making the ring took all the way till dinner. We headed out and soon were chowing down wile Angel asked some questions about my tales. Since she cried Angel has been more in the group and moment. It was nice to see. Maybe she could change a bit. After dinner we split to go to our dorms for the night.

Sunday was a bright day that held a lot o promise. After breakfast I headed to the classroom to begin the enchantments. The first two layers were easy then I had to use some guesswork to keep going. I took a break at lunch to keep my strength up. The girls were not there but I was focused to get the job done so did not notice. With my belly full and my mind sharp I returned to the classroom. At four o'clock I was at the last two layers. This would be make it or break it time. At five o'clock I was at the last layer, the layer with the address within it. If this one fails the whole ring is a right off! At seven thirty I leaned back, I was done.

I was heading across the quad to my dorm when Ms. Teller hailed me. She was my councilor so I stopped and waited for her to catch up. She was talking as soon as we were together. "Eric you are the contact for Angel Flower. May I ask what your relationship is?" she said. I looked at her "Her Mother asked me to look after her. Is there a problem?" She sighed "Yes I am afraid there is. She is sick I no one can find out why!" I sighed "take me to her!"

We ran to the office block and the closer we got the worse my fears got. We turned into the nurses office and all the girls were there. I slowed and looked her over with a healers eye. I held my hands above her I could feel the poison pulsing through her veins. I stepped back to think. Wounds I could heal ills of the body no poison maybe. This would take my full power, that means Ember. I looked at Jenny and she went and closed the door. I told the girls to form a circle around the bed. Ms. Teller stepped back. I looked at her "Please don't reveal what you are about to see." The I shifted into Ember mode. I stepped into the circle and began to heal Angel with all I had. Two and a half hours later Angels eyes opened. I was able to heal her.

She looked at me and began to cry. I reached out and held her for a bit till she calmed down. I turned her over to Jenny and turned to Ms. Teller "Now you know a few of my secrets will you keep them?" She smiled "I was asked to look after you and her by Lady Darla but to see with my own eyes what you can do, I am honored." I shook my head Darla again watching out for me.

I shifted back and took a chair, I was beat. I looked at Angel and said "Talk, I want to know why? This is your one and only chance!" Angel paled then she sighed "You know why I did it. I can't stand what my Mother did to me! I am nothing now and you know it!" She had practically yelled the last line. Well there is no use now. I pushed myself up and walked up to a mirror on the wall. I drew a circle and tapped three times. The mirror fogged and resolved into Darla's face. Darla scowled "Do you know what time it is? This had better be good!" I sighed "Early today Angel tried to kill herself. I need to speak to the Queen." She said "tried" I replied "I healed her. It was close." Darla looked at me for a moment then said "Keep the link open." Her face went away. I stayed where I was.

Twenty minuets later a new face appeared on the mirror, it was the Queen! I bowed then filled her in on the events of the day. I put it as plainly and strait as I could. She nodded and said "She is young and she needs to learn to take setbacks or she will never make it as Queen. You have our permission to punish her for this." The Queen's face went away and Darla's came back. I said goodbye and closed the link.

I went and sat to think for a bit. I did not know what to do? I was not the punishment type, harming others was not my way. I sighed "Get well we have a lot of work to do before next weekend." I held up the ring to show I finished it. "Take away everything to be sure she wont try this again. I am exhausted so I will be back tomorrow to check on her. Call me if you need me." I left at that point so I could go to my dorm and sleep.

I don't know why everything was up to me? I was just a artist and I was just looking for a good time. Why do they want to push me into leading all this? Well that is for tomorrow I am for sleep tonight.

The next morning I went to see Angel before breakfast. The woman with her was one I did not know and was quite a prude not leaving us alone for a moment. Well I could still tell Angel was healing well at this time. So I headed off to get my day started. The girls were subdued during breakfast. What happened had hit them hard. It was a eventful weekend.

What can I say about classes, they went on. By lunch the girls seemed to be back into the swing of things. They asked me for any tales of Sanctuary I had yet to tell them. They also wished to see the ring I made again and again. At least they were into it. The rest of the week went well. Angel got stronger and the girls read their starter magic books. I prepared for the weekend with gusto. On Thursday Angel was allowed to go back to the dorm for good.

On Friday we gathered ready to try the ring for the first time. I stepped up to the mirror and kissed the ring for luck. I touched the four corners then tapped the center three times and called out Sanctuary. Almost before I completed the word the mirror fogged and I could feel the connection was made. This was a good sign to be sure. We all picked up our packs and grasped hands. With a little blessing going through my mind I stepped though.

First thing I noted was how dark it was. The small glimmer from the portal did not push back the darkness at all. My hand dipped into my cloak pocket and withdrew my light globe. As I held it up I could see about ten yards. The room we were in was a mirror room just like in The Great Hall. There must have been thirty mirrors stuffed in this round room. We took stock then headed out the irregular doorway to Sanctuary itself. The cavern we entered was beyond any I have ever been in before. It must have been 1/2 mile across and 1/4 mile high. On the near side was a waterfall from what I assumed was a underground river falling into a shimmering lake. In the center of the roof was a large globe that lit in response to my light globe. Soon the whole cavern was lit by a light like gentle candle light. We could now see that along the shoreline of the lake were a row of small houses made of stone. This must be where the Mages lived. We decided to go down and check out the houses.

It took a bit to get to the first house. It was bigger than I first thought two stories and a wraparound porch. It took some time to make this house. I checked for wards but found none, strange. Just then the door opened and Darla came out. She grinned "What took you so long?" Dang it she is always two steps ahead of me. I flashed her a grin back "School you know how it is. Have to keep the grades up." She nodded "Come on in lunch is almost ready." We all filed in dropping our packs and hanging our cloaks up then following Darla into the kitchen.

We all sat around the table and had a good lunch. Darla asked about school and what we were planning but nothing that really mattered just chit-chat. After we ate and drank I caught the shift in Darla's mood and knew we were about to get into the heart of the matter. She looked at me "You know we wanted you to come here for a long time but needed you to come here by your own hand. I could not help you get here." I sighed, I seem to be doing that a lot lately "Yes I figured that out. I guess play time is over and it is time to work." She nodded "All here are meant to be here. We the Queen an I want you six to remake Sanctuary and run it. There are those that don't fit in the Great Hall so we will send them here. This summer we will see if you have what it takes to run this place well." I looked at the others then spoke "It is a lot to dump on a bunch of kids but we will do what we can provided some understanding comes with the job!

To be continued next time
As always comments are always welcome.
up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A most

...interesting task at hand.

Joanna

Secrets

Tas's picture

Again, Eric seems to want to keep his existence as Ember a secret, but just kind of lets someone see him change without trying to get her out of the room or anything. I'm also not sure why he didn't change to be Ember when creating the ring, he would have just had to lock his door and draw the blinds right?

It seems the queen trusts Ember a lot though, considering her daughter tried to kill herself and she just told Ember to punish her instead of wanting her to come back.

Sanctuary as a place for those who don't fit in huh? Hopefully the queen sends them slowly and after a little bit of time so things can adjust.

-Tas

One Thing...

…I'm wondering about. I've been getting the impression in the past chapter or two that the queen and princess aren't magic-users. Is that correct?

Eric

Darla

Daphne Xu's picture

Eric: that's probably your job to find out. You might find the job easier as Ember, though. :-)

Seems as if Darla is more intimately involved in things than we heretofore imagined. The same might be true for the school as a whole. Eric's a Storyteller -- should it be a title with a capital T? He/she has a special place in the world?

-- Daphne Xu