When tales come true Chapter 06

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 6

Queen's gambit

The week went quickly. Schoolwork is the same whether you are waiting for the end of the world or not. We prepped what we could and waited. Darla did not contact me until Thursday evening. The meet was set for Saturday at noon. It will be held at the trading post of Crossways. Dang it, that is one I have not been to! Each would bring four people, no more. That was all that was set.

Friday afternoon we all met up to go trough the mirror. I handed the girls their rings and instructed them in how to open a portal. Then I made them all open the portal one at a time then pass trough so I could see the rings worked. Just in case they had a way out. That was about all I could do to protect them on so short of notice.

Darla was trying to play it neutral to pass messages back and forth. If she was part of my house this would be imposable. I had never got around to joining her house so She was just listed as being my magic teacher. That is as neutral as it gets around here. At least she did not count as part of our four.

The four to go were Angel, me, Ben and Byron. Ben and Byron as knights will take care of the physical, I will take care of the magical and that left Angel to take care of the political. The boys needed to join my house so I took care of that on Friday. I spent Friday evening teaching Angel as much Defensive magic as I could. I was not taking any chances.

Saturday morning Ben set his men, the ones that were staying, in place to guard the vital spots. The girls were busy getting Angel ready. That reminded me I had not given Angel her crown yet. I headed to where they were to give it to her. I smiled when I walked in to the hen party. Angel was in a sapphire gown that set off her blonde hair nicely. "I have what would complete your look your Majesty." I said as I unwrapped the crystal crown. Angel bowed her head with a broad smile. She lowered herself into a chair before a mirror. I stepped behind her and with solemn dignity I placed the crown upon her head. Everyone in the room curtsied to the new Queen of Sanctuary.

We were ready. in an hour we will head out to face the first real test of our new lives. Sanctuary would live or die depending on what we do today! Darla had set up a mirror so we could port right there. Just before I opened a peephole link in the mirror to make sure it went where it was meant to go. It did so I closed the link and opened a portal. We sent the boys in first then I went. When We felt it was safe Angel came through.

The two Queens stood assessing each other across the room. As her adviser I stood on our Queens right hand. The knights stood a little apart on both sides ready for anything. Being forced to deal with us on a political level instead of a mother dealing with a daughter definitely was getting to their Queen. We won a point coming in looking good lets see if we can keep it. It was Angel's show now. I hope she can live up to her breeding. Just for added push I had wove a enchantment into the crown. It was a glamour to make Angel look older more in control. Looking at her now she did not need it.

Angel proved over the next six hours that I was right to pick her. She was masterful and brilliant in standing up to her Mother without flinching. Not giving up a point unless it got her a bigger point. Angel knew the game and played it well. Slowly Queen Aslina came to see the change of houses was not a slap in the face but a bold political move to save face on both sides. Her rage subsided and her pride in her daughter grew. It took dealing with Queen Angel not Princess Alita to bring the fires under control and peace be restored. After six hours we withdrew flushed with success. Sanctuary was safe for now.

After all the preparation we did and all the fear we went through it was almost Anticlimactic. Everything went as planned and no one made a fuss. Still I sighed with relief when we got back. I looked at Angel she looked every inch the prim and proper Queen even after six hours of political fighting. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe I did choose right and I can fade into the background now. My magic is what is important to me let Angel lead for now.

I asked Darla to rent a room and place the mirror there so we could come back and do some shopping on Sunday. I spent Saturday evening gathering small trade goods for the shopping trip. The others were partying but I knew this was just the first of many hurtles to come. Let them party my place was in the background watching and planning. A classic mage to the end.

Sunday morning I went down to find Zoe at the stove with my tea ready. I planned to leave early to shop. I guess it was not too early for my maid. I was thinking that the Queen should be the one with the maid but till the other houses were stocked I will leave things the way they are. Everyone eats here anyways.

At that point Angel came in. She was dressed down so I decided to only nod. I went back to sorting the trade goods for the trip. I had divided the cash into six envelopes for the six homes. I would give them to Angel to give out since I will be gone pretty quickly for my day of shopping. The girls now had their rings so I did not need to lead them in and out.

Angel looked at me and asked "How do you think this Queen thing should work? Am I in charge around here or not? Where do you fit in the whole power structure?

I looked at her "You are in charge. I am your Mage. I will teach magic and advise you as needed. I am planning a Great Hall and Throne room to be finished by the end of summer. It is where your home will be. You only have to put up with the home you have now till it is finished. I just stay in the background and help out where I can.

Angel looked at me and smiled. "In other words you pull the strings and play the tune." She laughed. "I can live with that. What do you advise me to do now?"

I smiled "You can see that the others get their part of the cash and trade goods so they can stock their homes. I am heading out to crossroads to see what they have. I will be back in a few hours."

She looked thoughtful "You should take a knight with you. Those posts can be ruff. I think Ben would be a good match for you. We need more knights to watch this place. Maids would be good too. See if you can find any at the hiring hall there."

At that point I felt a jingle in the wards. Darla was back. Alone this time. I told Angel. I went to meet her at the door. Darla was sporting two big leather bags and a great big grin. "Queen Aslina was impressed with you Angel. She sent this to help establish your great hall." She handed one of the bags to Angel. "She also liked what you did Ember so this is for you to hire more staff for Sanctuary." she handed me the other bag. In both bags were many gold and silver coins.

Well this will help out greatly. Hiring maids and knights will cost a few coin each. I figure five more maids and six more knights. If I can find all of them that's a lot of mouths to feed. I better get my bag of holding to carry the food. This is going to take longer than I planned. I raced upstairs to get my bag then told the others I was heading out. I quickly made my way to the bunkhouse to find Ben.

Ben was up for the trip so we set out for Crossroads. We ported to the mirror in the hired room. I opened the door to find we were at the back of a busy tavern. I smiled taverns were a good place to get information. I strode up to the bar and singled to the bartender. When he looked me over I Asked "Is there a hiring hall around?" When he just nodded I placed a silver coin on the bar. "And where would that be?"

He smiled and the coin vanished. "Two streets west three houses down can't miss it."

I thanked him and we headed out. The hall was as easy to find as he said. It was not the best looking place I have seen but this is only a trading post. I went up to the desk were a tired looking woman sat shuffling papers. She did not look up. I cleared my throat. She still did not look up. "Sign in take a seat no work right now." Even her voice was tired.

"I am not here to get hired I am here to do some hiring." I smiled as her head snapped up when I said that. "I am looking for maids and apprentice knights. Five maids and six knights for hiring today. It is a live in position so must be ready to leave at once. Only the best mind you." I kept my eyes on her face while I told her this.

"Yes my lady right away. Any preference in ages of the maids or knights? The more I know the better fit I can help you find." She was smiling now.

I listed the needs for the maids and Ben spoke of what he thought would be good for the knights. I said "We will be back in one hour. Have the candates ready for inspection then." I held up three gold coins so she could see. Her eyes went big. I was sure they would be there. I turned to leave.

She asked "My lady may I know your name?" Her voice trembled a little at that.

Ben answered her "This is the Lady Ember Grand Mage of Sanctuary."

I smiled over my shoulder "One hour no more." Then walked out of the hall. I looked at Ben. He just smiled back at me. I walked to the open air market I had seen on the way to the hall. We had a good time shopping till it was time to go back to the hiring hall. Walking back I took a deep breath and readied myself for this trial. Ben held the door for me and I entered to find total bedlam!

The woman was running around trying to get the fifteen or so girls to line up. The boys were leaning around the walls trying to look important. Well this will not do at all. I looked at Ben "Take the boys outside. See if you can find any worth taking to Sanctuary." He nodded and left my side. I caught the eye of the woman. She rushed over looking scared. When Ben got the boys out of the hall I glided along the line of girls. These were typical small town girls. I picked seven and sent the rest home. That was that I had the maids I wanted. Ben came back in looking sour. "Any you can use?"

Ben sighed "Five are worth it one maybe." Man of few words.

"Hire them." I can play the few words game too. He nodded and headed outside. I turned to the seven girls. "You are hired we leave right away." I placed a gold coin in each girls hand then placed the three gold in the woman's hand. They all curtsied then grabbed their bags ready to leave. Smiles on all their faces. The woman smiled and went back to her desk.

The trip to the tavern did not take long. We all passed into the hire room and through the mirror portal. When through Ben took the boys off to the bunkhouse Bowing to me first. I took the girls to my home. I was hoping the others were hanging out there as they always did.

Darla and Angel were sitting on porch chatting. Angel had her crown on so was in Queen mode. I curtsied and said "Your Majesty, I have hired the maids you requested. There is seven so one for everyone of the six then the rest work for you." Angel stood and looked over the girls. The maids curtsied.

Angel smiled "Well done! Did you also get the knights?" I nodded. "Good, We will soon have this place set up right!" I could see she was pleased.

Soon I had all the maids set into all their homes and doled out the food I got in town so the homes were semi-stocked. Angel was nice and let me keep Zoe as my maid. By the time all was set and everyone was settled in it was time for us to go back to school. So we all headed for the mirror room. I shifted as I went through the portal so on the other side Eric was back for the week.

Being back as Eric was annoying but it was needed for school. I lived for weekends so I could be Ember. This summer I will be Ember full time and loving it. But for now I have to be the invisible storyteller. At least the girls talk to me when we are alone. That and my books keep me from going nuts. The week is a week. Schoolwork keeps me writing and not thinking.

On Wednesday I was called out of my last class to the office. I wondered what was up when I was told I had a phone call. Well there is a first time for everything. I answered the call "Hello Eric speaking."

A voice spoke that I had not heard for three years. "Hello Eric, it's your Mother. I am going to be by the school on Friday to see you. I know it has been a long time. We have a lot to talk about. I have to go now see you on Friday." That was it she had hung up. The first time I have heard from her since I came to this school and it lasted less than a twenty seconds. Dang it, I did not need this. I was in a funk as I headed to a meeting with Angel and the girls about the Great Hall of Sanctuary. This was going to put me behind in so many ways.

I reached the classroom to find the girls already there and sketching versions of the hall they liked. I entered and closed the door. I went over to the mirror and opened the portal. There is only one way to get through this with my sanity intact. That means make major Magic! I passed through the portal. I closed it right behind me. I shifted while passing through the portal so I was in Ember mode. I strode passed the knights on duty. I went to the far side of the cavern. I took a moment to center myself. I began to weave the spell to draw all the crystal from the rocks around me. As it came out I wove it into a Grand Hall like no other. Made completely out of crystal The Hall shown brilliant even in the low light of this part of the cavern. I strode in to the main room and started to shape it into a Throne room fit for the Queen of Sanctuary!

It took me four hours to make the outside and another three hours to finish the Throne room. I staggered back to the mirror room and opened the portal to the school. I shifted as I passed through and headed for my dorm to sleep it off.

In the morning at Breakfast Angel came up to me. "Are you OK? What happened yesterday?" The concern was written all over her face. But this was not the place to speak about it.

I gave her a grim smile. "I will tell you after school. Heavy stuff happened yesterday." I tried to eat without saying what it was. I could see she was not happy about being put off. I just did not have the strength to go into it right then. Maybe I should ask to talk to Ms. Teller, after all that is what she is there for and she knows about me. Angel was glaring at me. I knew she would not last till after school. I decided to take a chance.

After breakfast I took Angel by the hand and headed to the office. I knocked on Ms Teller's door. She said come in. When she looked up from her paperwork there was a look of worry on her face.

"After hearing about your phone call yesterday I thought I would see you Eric but What is Angel doing here?" Ms. Teller said.

"We need someplace safe to talk. How much did Darla tell you about me? About what I am doing?" I glanced around as we talked. I noticed a large full length mirror in the corner. A strange Idea came to me.

She looked at me "Are you asking if I know about Sanctuary the answer is yes. If you are asking if I know who the two of you are there again yes."

I smiled a grim smile "Lock the door we are going to test that!" When she had locked the door and turned I walked up to the mirror. I opened the portal taking her hand I stepped through shifting as I did. Angel came through right behind us. I turned to Ms. Teller and said "Welcome to Sanctuary." Her eyes were wide. I led them to the far side of the cavern and said "Your Majesty your new Great Hall. This way to the Throne room." I led them to the Throne room. I seen that Angel had changed her outfit into a sapphire blue gown. She even had on her crown. I spread my arms rising them slowly. As I did the light globes lit one by one till the Throne room was well lit. Well that was showing off a bit but I could not help myself. Angel and Ms. Teller was looking around in awe.

Angel asked "You did this all last night? You truly are The Grand Mage of Sanctuary!" She smiled and took a seat on the Throne. She looked quite regal sitting there. Just then Cryss came gliding in and settled on my shoulder. I smiled and scratched her between the wings. Ms. Teller fainted at that point.

I sent Cryss with a note summoning Zoe and the Queens Maids. We made Ms. Teller as comfortable as possible and waited for the maids. I took the time to tell Angel about my Mothers call and the emotion it brought up. "I used that emotion to fuel my magic to make the Hall. I had three years of pain to use so this is what came out." She just shook her head and placed her hand on mine. It helped a lot. Maybe I can get through Friday.

To be Continued
Thanks for the life giving comments please keep them coming.
up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

oh my

Alecia Snowfall's picture

without a doubt I'm certain that hall is stunning. Please do keep us riveted with this story!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

We Don't Know...

…at this point, what the big deal is about Eric's mother. The only things we know are:

-- that Eric considered her "distant" -- it's literally the only thing he mentioned about her up to now.

-- that Eric was turned over to his grandmother for one summer four years ago -- presumably his mom's mother, since Eric says the grandmother "didn't think much of" Eric's father -- learning to function as a mage and to present as Ember.

-- that Eric's at a boarding school which is presumably being paid for my someone, and his mom knows that he's there. (Darla hired Eric's counselor to keep an eye on him, telling her everything, but I don't believe she could be paying his way there, not openly at least.)

It certainly seems that there's a lot for our author to fill in here, and from Eric's reaction some of it must be traumatic.

Apparently I was mistaken about the rose crest ring meaning that Ember is a member of Darla Del La Rose's house, and that therefore everyone wearing Ember's crest -- the rest of the Earth girls, plus Zoe the maid -- is under Darla's aegis as well as Ember's and now Angel's. If Angel had been wearing the same crest as Darla, Darla couldn't have been officially designated as neutral in the negotiation.

Anyway, it doesn't really seem as though Eric's mother's visit ought to be more than an inconvenience. If she tries to reclaim him and pull him out of the school, Ember simply goes to Sanctuary to live full time -- somebody ought to be there during the week, anyway, besides the maids and knights. If Mom were a mage of game-changing ability, I can't see how this situation could have arisen in the first place; she'd have shut things down already.

Eric

I'm wondering does Eric think

I'm wondering does Eric think mom will nt approve of him being Ember.

Magic

Tas's picture

So Angel is indeed the highest authority in Sanctuary, and her training as princess seems to be paying off rather well.

It's interesting that magic can be fueled by emotion, it's the source of that emotion that worries me. Does Ember's mother know about her?

I'm also wondering why Ember took the teacher lady along to see the throne room. Was it just to give us an impression of how awesome this place is?

Anyway, looking forward to the next :)

-Tas

Hmm...

Daphne Xu's picture

Things are still being set up, for some unknown purpose. Eric's mom has called for less than a minute, after three years of no contact. I've probably forgotten plenty of details. It appears that Eric made good use of the spontaneous release of built-up pain and bitterness about his mom, to create the Grand Hall.

So Mom's going to appear Friday, and probably disrupt things.

-- Daphne Xu

On a second read

...I wish I could give them a kudos again

Joanna