The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.02 - Restrictions

Printer-friendly version
           ....I pulled him towards me and kissed him, seeking comfort in his embrace.

"Oh yuk, you two get a room." said Ceri, in his usual forthright manner.

"Which one Ceri?" I asked.

The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.2 - Restrictions

by Alys


Part 2
 

I sat in the reception area looking at the photos, on the wall nearest me, of the sporting success of pupils at school. As I waited for my meeting with Mrs Williams the headteacher, I read the captions under the photos :- 'Jodie Jones - Women's Judo for Wales - 2001', 'Malcolm Evans - Under 18 Rugby for Wales - 2002' and another twenty or so similar records of sporting achievement with a photo of a different me, 'Celyn Morus - Under 16 Football for Wales - 2005', being the most recent.

I straightened my skirt and adjusted my bra to try and get a slightly better fit on my unusually sensitive breasts. I wondered if I might be experiencing a growth spurt in the boob department, after seeing little change in the last few months.

There was the sound of a quiet buzzer behind the desk of the receptionist, Miss Nyree Thomas, who picked up the phone.

She listened for a few seconds and then responded, "Yes, Mrs Williams, I'll send her in straight away."

I had stood up and was walking toward the door of the headteacher's office before she looked up and said," OK Celyn Mrs Williams will see you now"

I opened the door to a room almost as big as some of the classrooms in the school. One half of the room was taken by a large conference table and chairs. Mrs Serena Williams, headteacher of Cwm Wysg school sat in an imposing leather chair behind a large desk in the other half. Sunlight streaming through the window on this fine, almost Indian Summer like, late September morning formed a semi halo around Mrs William's face, making her seem more imposing andauthoritative than normal.

"Sit down, Celyn," she said in a friendly manner, indicating the chairs opposite her on the other side of the desk.

"How are you getting on?" she asked, after I had selected a chair and sat down.

"Fine thank you Mrs Williams." I replied.

"Good, I am glad to hear that. I was a little unsure about the whole thing, as I told you and your parents back in August. I am very pleased that everything seems to be working out. But I don't believe that it will be plain sailing all the way so you must remember to tell me or your teachers if there are any problems." She stated.

"Of course I will." I responded while wondering if I should tell her about Elfed's comment at football training. I decided that I would see if it was more than an isolated incident before involving Mrs Williams.

She held up a report sheet filled with short comments by teachers

"All of your are teachers very positive about you and your work, all except for Mr Franklin your biology teacher, he says that he doesn't think that you have made every effort to integrate with the rest of the class. Any thoughts on that?" She asked.

"I'm surprised that he should make such a remark to be honest Mrs Williams. I am good friends with a number in that class and I think I get on with everyone." I responded while silently fuming at the slur by 'Franklinstein'.

"Well I'm sure this is only a temporary issue and I have confidence that you will do everything you can to resolve whatever perceptions, false or otherwise that have arisen. We have great hopes for you in the next two years academically, Celyn"

"Thank you Mrs Williams"

She smiled at me and then paused for a moment before continuing in a more serious tone.

"However I do have a little problem to share with you at the moment. I have spoken to the games department and both Mrs Simons and Mr Jones are happy with your progress in netball and football"

"I'm pleased to hear that"

"However there is an issue with the rules of participating in the teams. Obviously your gender situation is pretty unusual and no-one has ever thought to provide guidelines......."

"I have given this some thought," I interjected.

"Oh yes, please tell me what you think," Mrs Williams responded.

I explained the legal situation regarding transsexuals being accepted by the IOC and netball being an Olympic sport. I also mentioned the Football Association of Wales ruling that girls could play in under 16 boys' teams where no appropriate girls' teams existed. She noted the information and then realising that she was late for an appointment in County Hall she ushered me out promising to discuss this further as soon as possible.

I walked over to the sixth form common room in a pensive mood almost bumping into a small boy from one of the lower years.

"Hey look where you're going!" I said to him, a little harshly.

"Sorry Celyn," he responded before scurrying off.

I opened the door to the common room and noticed to my surprise that the little boy had stopped at the end of the corridor and was looking at me. 'The wonder of fame or notoriety' I thought to myself as I walked into the half empty room full of easy chairs and sofas. The film and music posters dominated the atmosphere and distracted from the general untidiness of the place.

"Hey Siá´n," I said to my lover sitting in the corner on the sofa with Ceri and Sioned.

"Hey yourself," responded Siá´n.

I exchanged greetings with Ceri and Sioned and a few others I knew and squeezed next to Siá´n, who put his arm around me. I pulled him towards me and kissed him, seeking comfort in his embrace.

"Oh yuk, you two get a room." said Ceri, in his usual forthright manner.

"Which one Ceri?" I asked.

"I think Geography and Maths are the only departments that haven't been baptised," continued Siá´n, following my lead and referring to our, no doubt erroneous, perceptions of where in the school previous generations of sixth formers had been intimate.

"Shall we toss?" I said in a mock serious tone, taking a pound coin out of my jacket pocket.

"OK heads for Geography, tails for Maths," responded Siá´n.

I tossed the coin, the face of our beloved monarch stared up at us.

"Oh, great, I won't have to lie back and only think of England now with all the posters on the Geography wall." I said trying my best to suppress my giggles.

"Stop it you two!" said Sioned laughing.

Siá´n and I joined Sioned until we were both aching. Ceri poked his tongue out at us. Eventually Siá´n regained some composure.

"How did it go with Williams?" He asked.

I related the details of my interview with the headteacher. The others expressed their sympathy at the difficulties in carrying on being involved in sports teams and their anger at 'Franklinstein'. We chatted a bit longer about how our weekends had gone. Ceri had had a boring weekend working in his parents' shop while Sioned had been to North Wales to see her grandparents. I told them about having to be a "footballer's wife", watching Siá´n playing for his club side.

The bell went for the next lessons, Sioned and myself hurried for our Biology class, we met Meryl on the way there and chatted briefly until we reached the lab. Mr Franklin, as often, was just returning the latest small mammal corpse to the fridge and cleaning his dissection kit as we, along with another ten pupils walked in. He had been known as 'Franklinstein' to many generations of pupils for his obvious delight in the dark arts of cutting animals into smaller pieces.

We settled down and he took the register.

"Well class," he addressed us, standing at the front of the lab, a tall thin man in his early 50's, "as you are aware this term's unit is focused on human biology and so far we have looked at respiration and the energy cycle in the body. Today I want to start the lesson with a question."

He paused while he typed something on his computer to bring up a PowerPoint presentation on the screen.

'What is the most important factor affecting the life experiences of human beings?'

For some reason I felt a little uneasy with this question.

Some suggestions were offered.

"Racial Origins?" asked Sioned.

"Lifestyle?" asked Siá´n.

"Income of family?" suggested Meryl.

"Age of parents?" asked Brian, one of the football team members.

"These are all good points," responded the teacher," but there is one overarching division that affects everything."

He paused and I guessed where he was going with this discussion, I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach.

"The question that affects every aspects of our lives is - were you born Male or Female?" he stated, before bringing the same question up on the screen.

"We are all ONE gender or THE OTHER," he continued, letting his gaze fall on me for a second. There were a few titters from a couple of boys who I did not know.

"What about transsexual and intersex individuals?" I asked looking directly at him.

"I am talking about NORMAL people here, Celyn, not fre.....sorry people who refuse to fit in," he replied giving a knowing look to the rest of the class, a few of whom suppressed giggles while most looked shocked.

I felt like I had been kicked hard in the stomach, I felt sick at the humiliation, I stood up and oblivious to everyone slowly walked out of the classroom. There was silence for a moment and then Mr Franklin spoke.

"Mr..sorry Miss Morus where are you going?"

I opened the door without replying and slowly made my way down the corridor, my shoulders hunched, staring at the floor.


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part Two

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Short Chapter

Sorry for the brevity of this chapter, have been ill for the past few days, nothing serious, and writing has been a struggle.

Hugs/Cofleidiau.

Alys

He's Gonna Get His

joannebarbarella's picture

Teachers can't do that to their pupils,
Outraged Of Hartlepool,
Joanne

yes it may be short, but

yes it may be short, but it had a strong message........ I like it Alys Can't wait to see the next chapter........ please don't make me wait too long.

A.A.

So, Mister Franklin Is A Problem!!!

It is too bad that Celyn has to face such a burden, but then again, we know that all T.G. face obstacles in real life everyday. Thank you for a bold new look at the plight of being T.G.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

ERGH!

That STUPID teacher I hope he GETS his, even gets FIRED, how dare he say that? Not to mention his reference to intersexed individuals, what a prick!

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Hmm...

Its not big and clever to disparage minorities of any persuasion. However if you shot everyone who disagreed with you the place would get full of corpses fast.

It is okay to feel that someone who holds different views to yourself is wrong. The whole freedom of expression, freedom of speech thing makes sure of that.

I can only ope that there is a way through the issue, without resorting to sacking someone for a first offense. Because for all that this teacher was wrong in this instance, he might be otherwise an excellent teacher who genuinely feels that people like Celyn is wrong.

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Sorry the world does not work that way

There are first offenses and then there are first offenses.

I remember a certain weatherman named Tex Antoine on Channel 7, WABC in NYC. Somewhere around 1974 to 1977 if I remember correctly who got himself into trouble by commenting after a rape story, that went along the lines of - if you cannot avoid it ( being raped ) you might as well just lay back and enjoy it.

I do not believe he had a second chance after that story at least with WABC.

The teacher in this story is in a position of public trust and he has no right to spread his stupidity and prejudices. Aside from that, he is violating his own respect for science by spreading lies about something he does not understand and has not been subjected to scientific rigor. Feelings should have nothing to do with it.

Kim

Premeditated & malicious

Not all first offenses are created equal - Franklin's attack was premeditated, planned for the sole purpose of humiliating Celyn, a member of a minority against which this particular teacher is bigoted. He should be tossed out the door unceremoniously, although the legality of the situation would require procedures be followed. Someone like that should never be allowed to work with young students again, although I'm sure he'll find some way to do so...

I hope the headmaster is truly on Celyn's side in this matter, but I'm sure there will be a great deal of politics involved with the situation, and therefore no quick and dirty solution.

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Perhaps...

Someone ought to remind Celyn of the old adage:

Don't get mad get even.

Because even I know that there are very strong rules (and laws) that say you cannot single out someone like that. And I know of at least two British teachers that have fallen foul of these rules. Though admittedly both were due to homophobia more than any stated dislike of the trans gendered.

While making an official complaint about the behaviour might cause repercussions outside of one teacher, particularly in light of the so far apparent support by the school and other pupils, I would imagine that some solution could be found before the official route is taken.

IMO just drop Biology... its an awful subject. ;)

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

sorry

Getting even would just get the poor girl in trouble. The teacher is being extremely insensitive, I never said anything about killing him, however intersex is a VALID physical medical condition, to say that someone is not normal simply because of how they were born, is not a valid opinion to be discussing in front of students. I don't care if he is the star biology teacher, to single out and torment one single student, is NOT acceptable behaviour. For instance, if he told me that my girlfriend wasn't right simply because of how she was born intersex, I'd have the ACLU on his butt faster than you can say hi ho aderio. And I wouldn't shed a tear if he was never allowed to work in that field again. Next time be more sensitive to your student's feelings. A teachers place is not to judge, but to teach. Hence the name teacher.

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Justice

Well, whatever happens, this isn't going to devolve into a "he said, she said" situation, not with a roomful of witnesses. The smug and ignorant bastard has been very foolish, indeed. Good! It might be a bit more humiliating to be tormented in public, but it will likely involve a much shorter and more determinate resolution. Oh what fun a tort lawyer could have in front of a jury with Celyn's history of cancer! Very foolish, indeed, and any school with access to counsel wouldn't dare to not cut their losses immediately.

Hoping we get to see the teacher's neck get dissected by a dull and dirty guillotine blade,

Pippa
~~~~~

Sadly...

...Teachers like Franklinstein teach so much more than their assigned subject matter. And many kids (& adults) pick up that kind of "training" without realizing they're doing it... And begin spouting the evile themselves.

Stories like this make me wish more adults knew how to talk to kids (and give them the time they need), and even more that the kids were willing to share more with said adults.

I'm so glad that the way you're writing this she has such a good support element. I'd hate to see how this worked out, if she was alone...

Neanderthal Alert !

Egad ! It's an Ape in a human suit ! eek!

Having not been "out" as a teen, I can not comment on the plausability of the situation. Surely he must have been present at the assembly where all was explained. Or, is this a new school. One would think that all the teachers would have been briefed on Celywin's situation.

Nothing short of firing the BASTARD would be adequate.

Of course, there is the idea that adults who confront children like that are generally pussys. I have to stop. I am feeling most unlady like at the moment.

Gwen

No

Great story, but people can be very hurt about things they don't understand or fear. I look forward to the next chapter.

OMG! This is a teacher who

OMG! This is a teacher who is violating his trust with children and allowing his personal views to invade his classroom. At the very least, He should be immediately suspended from his position and be REQUIRED to take sensitivity training. If this does not "cure" the problem then he needs to be terminated. Celyn does not need this, nor does she need the other kids in the class laughing and snickering at her because of the teacher's actions and uncaring, unfeeling, and ignorant comments. This WILL get around the school rapidly to other students. Janice Lynn

This is against the law.

Angharad's picture

Most councils in the UK have anti discrimination laws, this would include schools and colleges. So the man should be disciplined. Besides the story of the cancer would have gone around the staff room in a matter of minutes, so all but the most ignorant would have at least some sympathy for the poor kid, and off all subjects one would have thought biology would be most understanding. This now needs to be complained about, if not by Celyn, then by some of her friends.

Strong story-line Alys, da iawn.

cofleidiau,

Angharad

Angharad

Yes, but ...

Against the Law, and enforced as being against the Law are two different things.
Here in the US we have the recent example of the Duke lacrosse (Uni) rape hoax at what is hopefully the extreme end of the bad end. http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/2007/12/glossary.html

That said, in this instance if a large part of the class walked out and accompanied our heroine to the offices in order to complain, it would be pretty hard for the headmaster to refute or sweep under the rug what happened. as I said before the medical requirement of most of the surgeries (you have never said, which is wise, but at a guess they would have involved a full removal of the testes and prostate at a minimum; and quite possibly some part of the erectile tissue as well to have medically inflicted the consequences we have seen)

Love this series, please

Love this series, please keep the chapters coming!

Just One really serious error in this chapter:
"Oh, great, I won't have to lie back and only think of England now with all the posters on the Geography wall."

surely this should be

"Oh, great, I won't have to lie back and only think of Wales now with all the posters on the Geography wall."

Yours truly

SG

SG

Just a few facts and thoughts

Firstly in UK law the latest incarnation of the sex discrimination act makes the behaviour of this teacher illegal. You cannot discriminate or persecute by words or action on the grounds of sex/gender in the matters of employment or education. This includes people who have undergone GRS. In fact, you have to be respected for the gender that you wish to appear as or be recognised as. THIS IS THE LAW!
Secondly as a biology teacher, if he has bothered to keep up to date, he should know that both intersex and transexual conditions are medical conditions and there is not a choice in the matter. It is not a case of not conforming, or choosing to be different, you are physically different from birth. (Note in the UK government's guidelines to treatment it states categorically that "Gender Dysphoria et al is NOT A MENTAL CONDITION.) {et al means : including all other names that the condition is known by, gender identity disorder, transexuality or even Harry benjamin Syndrome} In the instance of this story the insult is further compounded by the fact that the gender reassignment had to be undertaken as result of cancer treatment. (Incidentally, if anyone has any doubts about this, there are at least 2 cancer conditions for which the treatment has a severe feminizing effect.)
Finally the saying is "Lie back and think of England" It does not matter whether you are in England, Wales, Scotland or anywhere else for that matter the saying remains the same. You can thank an Irishman for this, by the way.
Love and cuddles
Janice Elizabeth

Celyn & the next confrontation

Celyn needs Janice Elizabeth to help her out with some research so that the next time Franlkestein attacks, she can hit him with both barrels, quoting chapter and verse (okay, that's a mixed metaphor, but I was on a roll).

He's obviously not very intelligent, considering the argument he put forward, but he may be clever - however, he's still no match for Celyn!

Happiness and success are neither necessarily contemporaneous nor connected.
~ Gordon Sumner, quote from a radio interview I heard around 1990

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

hey teacher leave those kids alone

laika's picture

Galling that a teacher would spew such vile ignorant stuff, but I guess it happens. It's been a while since I attended school, but I seem to recall instances of my instructors interjecting some very cracked personal opinions into their lessons; bugs-up-their-ass of a political or racial nature that they would bring into the classroom, saying stuff that stood out as wrong + offensive to me even by the less sensitive & circumscribed standards of speech in the early sixties (Mr. Couvre---a veteran of the war in the Pacific---had been a guest of the Japanese for the latter half of WWII & had some interesting thing to say about Asians in general...). The school can't monitor every single thing a teacher says, and some bigots are really good at presenting a reasonable front, knowing right where that line is, the failsafe zone that they can backpedal out of if need be. And while there is less leeway for hate speech nowadays in what we call public schools in the US (I guess the terms are reversed in the UK), it seems our private (religious) schools can teach just about anything they want, institutions where venomous views like Frankenstein's would be part of the official curriculem cericulim lesson plan. But anyway I hope they nail the bastard. On to next chapter.
~~~hugs, Laika

That was about the stupidest

That was about the stupidest thing I've read anywhere.

"I am talking about NORMAL people here, Celyn, not fre.....sorry people who refuse to fit in,"

It's most often those that refuse to fit in that moves society forward.
So f*k those bigots

(ah, that should be read as that 'teacher' and his likes:)

Life is a learning experience. Not a wall.
Even though it can be a steep curve learning at times.
People thinking like that though do represent a wall.

Just get over them and move on.
That's my view.

Yoron.

Ho hum...

A bigoted biology teacher. So that's what he meant by Celyn not fitting in...

Hopefully Celyn's walking in the general direction of the office - Mr. Franklin's comments have been heard by about a dozen students (sixth form classes tend to be smaller than main school), so he'll have a hard time denying what he's just done.

Onwards to Chapter 2, let's see what actually happened...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!