The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.08 - Y Gamp Lawn - Grand Slam!

Printer-friendly version
price_to_pay.jpg
          
"It doesn't matter, lucky for you at least someone is prepared to answer the phone in the house. Listen guess what?" Taran asked mysteriously.

"Dunno, you're pregnant or something?"

The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.08 - Y Gamp Lawn - Grand Slam!

by Alys


An annoying buzzing sound penetrated my semi-consciousness. I sleepily flapped a hand in the general direction of the noise hoping to waft away whatever creature or object, was responsible for disturbing my slumber. The sound stopped. I snuggled back down under the blankets and concentrated on returning to dreamland.

The buzz came back, I half opened an eye to try and locate the source of the irritation. I noticed a small pink rectangular object buzzing and vibrating insanely on my side table. I reached out, fumbled and then grasped my mobile phone. I looked at the time on the cover. The little screen showed ten minutes to eight. Ten minutes to eight! Since this was at least an hour before my regular getting up time I responded to the phone call in the only way possible.

The smack of the phone hitting the arm of the armchair was a satisfying sound to my semi awake mental state.

"That'll teach you for trying to wake me up," I scolded the phone, and closed my eye again and reached out to Morpheus's arms.

I looked down at Franklinstein tied down on the dissecting table. I pulled the meat carver out of the block of super sharp knives.

"Let's see if you have a heart then," I said to my victim, with an evil grin.

I sharpened the knife, enjoying my tormenting teacher's fear as he anticipated his demise. He tried to talk but that only made the duct tape on his mouth grip tighter. I prepared for the first incision. There was a distracting sound from the door. Banging and shouting, words that were a little indistinct. I chose to ignore this interruption and pressed the knife tip into the skin of the evil educator, a little drop of blood appeared.

A strong hand shook my shoulder, I tried to push it off, words penetrated my semi awareness, Franklinstein faded away as I opened my eyes to see my Mother standing over me.

"Celyn, it's your sister on the phone," she said as she held the cord less handset near to me.

"Alright, alright, you know what time it is?" I asked a bit groggily.

"Time to get up anyway, young lady," my Mum said, as she thrust the phone into my hand.

"Hello what you want?" I spoke venomously into the black plastic object of my displeasure.

"Hi Sis and good morning to you too," replied my dark clothed sister.

"Taran do you know what time it is?" I asked.

"It's ten minutes after the last time I tried to phone you on your mobile, which was after I had sent you five text messages. Is your phone switched off?" she inquired.

"Well sort of," I replied a little guiltily.

"It doesn't matter, lucky for you at least someone is prepared to answer the phone in the house. Listen guess what?" Taran asked mysteriously.

"Dunno, you're pregnant or something?"

There was a loud guffaw, "you must be joking," Taran responded," I'll give you a clue, what day is it today?"

"Saturday," I responded.

"A good start, but what date?" she continued.

"Dunno, March something," I replied, tiring rapidly of my sister's Mastermind game.

"You're hopeless, it's March 15th, and what is special about today?"

"Dunno..um..yes I do it's Saint Celyn's day, the patron saint of sixteen year olds who want to go back to sleep, now get lost and let me catch up on my missing hours"

"Listen you mindless school girl," Taran said, sarcastically," I don't know which secluded retreat you are living in but for almost every else in Wales it's the day of THE MATCH!"

"Oh the Rugby, why didn't you say that in the first place, so what about it?"

"I've got tickets!" she said triumphantly.

"You've got tickets!" I responded excited at the idea.

"Yes I've got tickets!" she repeated.

"You've got tickets!" I responded again.

"Celyn," Taran said after a slight pause..

"Yes?"

"Are you a parrot?" she asked.

"Pretty Polly, pretty polly, pretty polly....." I replied in my best parrot voice.

"Shut up, you and listen," Taran said, laughing," I've not only got tickets I've got spare tickets for you to come too"

"Wow! To see the match?" I responded, feeling excited at the prospect of being able to attend one of the great sporting occasions, "how?"

Taran explained how her girlfriend, Gini, had got them from her father, whose company had decided to upgrade to a hospitality box and therefore had some spare tickets for the grandstand. I arranged to meet her in Caerdydd in a couple of hours.

I phoned Siá´n and after a similar difficulty in getting him to re-engage his brain, that my sister had had with me, he agreed with alacrity to come down to the big smoke with me for the game.

The five minutes to eleven from Y Fenni pulled into the train station in Caerdydd, only fifteen minutes later than scheduled as each stop on the way had had to be extended while rugby supporters squeezed into every possible space on the three carriages of the local South Wales service. With relief Siá´n and I exited the confined space that had been our joyous travel experience for the last twenty minutes and resumed the normal practice of being able to breathe independently instead of in turns.

The human tide of rugby shirted Welsh people, of all ages, genders and sizes, flowed through the station and out into the gray, wet March morning. We were carried with the waves of excited, noisy, slightly inebriated people until we reached the concourse and saw Taran and Gini, arm in arm.

"Hey Taran! Hey Gini!" I shouted as made my way through the scrum of people and I hugged my Goth sister.

"Hi Sis," said Taran, hugging me back," nice top, looks a bit tight though," she continued, smiling.

We pulled apart and Taran introduced Gini to me and Siá´n, while I introduced Siá´n to them.

Gini was a taller, bigger version of my sister with similar engothedness, but both of them had made concessions to the occasion by wearing rugby scarves. Siá´n and I were wearing the rugby shirts that we had bought nine months ago for the rugby world cup. His was a little short, as he had grown a couple of inches since then, mine was a little tight in the chest area, due to some changes I had experienced there.

"What now Taran?" I asked, "kick off's not for another five hours or so"

"We look for a nice bar to hang out," she replied.

"They all look a bit crowded here," I commented, surveying the pubs in the vicinity already overflowing with people.

"No problem Celyn, " said Gini, " the union building isn't far away"

"The students union do you mean Gini?" asked Siá´n.

"Yes, it won't be as full as the pubs here," she replied.

"But we're not students, how can we get in?" I asked.

"It's not a problem, you both look old enough and they don't check ID there", my sister reassured.

Some quarter of an hour later we reached the anonymous concrete block of the University Student Union building of Prifysgol Caerdydd, opposite the magnificent, imposing National Museum. We found a corner of the open spaced student bar and sat down on some comfortable, leather sofas.

Gini and Taran went off for some refreshments while Siá´n and I relaxed, sat next to each other. My phone buzzed. I flicked it open and read the message.

Remember to wave at the camera xx Mum

I smiled and briefly replied.

kk xx Cel

"I'm really looking forward to this," said Siá´n," I haven't been in the Millennium Stadium before"

"Nor me, it looks amazing on the tele," I replied.

My sister and her friend returned with sandwiches and soft drinks for us and beer for them. We chatted while we ate our food. Gini and Taran entertained Siá´n and myself with tales of uni and living in the big city. Our events in school and town seemed trivial by comparison.

"Uni sounds such a great experience I can't wait to go," I said after listening to the tale of another late night party.

Taran laughed, " It's not fun a lot of he time, there are lectures, work, washing, cooking and other boring stuff. I really miss Mum sometimes, especially when I have a bag full of dirty clothes"

The next couple of hours went quickly between chatting, joking and the odd game of pool. Soon it was time to cheer Ireland on the TV, in their attempt to beat the old enemy, England. Unfortunately our cheers were not enough and soon the Irish team were heading for a heavy defeat. We decided to head off early for the stadium hoping that the omens of defeat for our celtic cousins in Scotland and Ireland didn't auger a similar outcome for our team.

Soon we were sitting in our seats, half way up the middle seating area of the stadium, in a great position to see the whole of the pitch. The stadium rapidly filled. Around us were collecting people of all genders and ages, wearing mostly Wales supporting clothes but with a sprinkling of French outfits. A French couple in their thirties sat down next to us. They took out a plastic drinking bottle from a ruck-sac but instead of the soft drink they poured out some red wine! An ingenious way of getting through the bottle search at the entrance.

The attractive, dark headed woman turned to me, gesturing with the bottle.

"voulez vous du vin ?"

I took a little sip, thanked her and passed it back.

Soon we were all conversing in broken French and English while nearby a French jazz band played a variety of jolly tunes, competing with the rather more formal military brass band on the field. Parts of the crowd started singing along to the band, and soon the volume of sound increased and echoed around the stadium with its closed roof.

"Rhowch Groeso, Please Welcome," came the voice over the tannoy, "Tá®m Cymru - The Welsh Team!"

The crowd went crazy cheering at the entry of the team, led by the daughters of one of the Welsh heroes from a previous generation who had died prematurely the year before. The level of excitement went up until almost a relief the game started.

The next hour of play was one of almost continuous tension as both sets of players gave everything to the struggle for superiority. The fearsome tackling of both sides, the crunch of bodies hurtling into each other was at times breathtaking. At 60 minutes the score was level with the result in doubt and then a flash of genius. In eight seconds of wizardry the smallest player on the pitch had scored and transformed the game. The mood became more and more relaxed as Wales took control and extended their lead. By the last few minutes the whole crowd was singing the unofficial national anthem.

"And we were singing
hymns and arias
land of my fathers
ar hyd y nos"

Suddenly the referee blew his whistle.

"Buddugoliaeth i Gymru! Victory to Wales!"

Not a Welsh person left the stadium for an hour as the team was presented with the trophy that no one had ever believed they could win. Eventually after all the ceremonies and victory laps were completed we joined the slow huddle out of the stadium, still in a euphoric state at the result.

We walked out into the drizzle of the gray evening and Taran started off the chorus of the well known song by Catatonia

"Everyday when I wake up"
We all joined in the next line.

"I thank the lord I'm Welsh!"

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sadly...

I didn't get to see the game live but I watched it on TV and I have to say after the extreme lack lustre performances of my own team (England), I was expecting a day of at best okay Rugby but what a day...

I missed the Scotland game sadly, England vs Ireland was real rugby for a change...

And the Wales game was awesome, the spirit in that stadium must have been amazing. :) It made me proud to be British even if that is my only real connection to Wales.

Got to ask did you right an episode where they lost too? ;)

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Nice one, Alys

What a splendid chapter. I'm so glad Wales got the Grand Slam. Sadly our lads from Scotland were robbed at the last minute, but at least we avoided the wooden spoon.

Hugs

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Great Win But

Too bad Celyn and Sion weren't playing.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You Welsh

joannebarbarella's picture

You're really milking this, but I can't say I blame you,
Joanne

a little context

Our Grand Slam victory was relegated to page four of the rugby section in many of the national Sunday newspapers - pages one to three being reserved for the new wunderkind in the England team, a veritable saviour of the sport, who had played only one complete game in the tournament and has yet to make a convincing tackle in international rugby! If we don't make a noise about our triumphs there's a danger no one will :)

On a more personal note, my mother let slip last night that my brother had tickets for the match and gave the other to his wife's uncle (by marriage). This after I had found us tickets for the Ospreys / Scarlets Christmas derby match three years in a row. That's one less card I'll have to buy this Christmas!!!!

Tickets

Ceri

Sorry you missed out on the ticket. I only watched it on tele too, for once the Welsh language commentary was a bit disappointing, no doubt, missing the presence of Ray Gravell. There was a beautiful tribute to him, though, throughout the game. RIP Ray, never forgotten.

Hugs

Alys

there's been a rapproachment - almost

My brother's phoned to say he was afraid I'd jinx it... the last time the Western Mail printed a list of Wales's ten worst defeats, I'd been at seven of them. This would be fair enough I suppose, if he hadn't been at six of them himself (he missed Canada in 1993)!

I couldn't help but wonder on Saturday night what it would have been like if Grav had been there... I can just imagine him grabbing Shaun Edwards in a bear hug. It's a day that'll stay with his daughters forever, though it's small consolation for losing their father so young. Gerald Davies's euology is on YouTube, and I can't watch it without choking up.

On a lighter note the French press have been effusive in their praise. I don't read French at all well so I've been running them through BabelFish... 'scrum half' is 'un demi de melee' which it translates as 'half a fight' - best description of Mike Phillips I think I've heard :)

Rugby

I know nothing about rugby other than it evolved from football, similar to the way that American football did. BUT I do enjoy hearing about the game described in the stories of late and can feel the pride that my Welsh friends are feeling. not that it counts much, but my family immagrated from Wales many, many, many years ago.

Anyway, it was a nice re-cap, Alys.

Looking forward to more of Celyn.

A.A.

That eight man shove

Angharad's picture

was awesome and the turning point of the game. After being driven back in that scrum, the French knew they'd lost it.

It's a long time since I've been to a Wales match, but I was there to see John Dawes Barbarians beat the All Blacks. That was a magical game. I was hoarse for a week. Crikey, I was a student in those days!

Nice one Alys, can't think why Celyn's shirt doesn't fit her! 8)

Angharad

Angharad

All this fuss

Over a sports event? You are all stark raving mad!

Sheesh!

Around here a Grand Slam is a breakfast. I thought maybe they were going out to eat. ;)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

About...

Any other sport I'd agree 100%, in fact for most of rugby I'm totally ambivalent to. Just World Cup and Six Nations have my attention and even then only if I can remember to watch them.

But the feeling that you get when a part of your nation does so well, especially over France the who are a former enemy, in any sport but especially a sport you enjoy watching is amazing...

If you could bottle that feeling there'd be no more wars. (Or anything we'd all just sit round grinning like fools.) :)

The other thing I like about rugby especially over soccer is the almost total lack of violence in the crowd, you frequently saw as he camera paned over the crowd that there were Welsh and French Supporters sitting together... a true Gentleman's sport. :D

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Why Fight?

... when there's already so much violence going on on the field? :)

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

I hope you continue with your story.

Congratulations on your countrys success in Rugby.I can understand your pride in your countrys sports teams.Great writing and keep up the good work.Amy

Love the story,

In the words of the great Bard Max Boyce, "I was there".
Shame our Football team is so poor even with great players.
Jo xxxx

Jo xxxx