The Final Wish Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

The Final Wish

by Theresa Black


Copyright 2019


Chapter 16

Jamie was galvanised into action. She hurried to the shower and afterwards spent precious minutes deciding on what to wear. Presumably, Donny had told Ronnie that she was one of his 'girls', so the last thing she wanted was to look like a drag queen. She finally decided on a grey pencil skirt and white silk blouse, tan stockings and three-inch heels. She styled her hair and put on her makeup and after dressing, examined herself critically in the mirror. Yes, she looked feminine and sophisticated, Ronnie's customers would never know the truth about her. She really needed this job, not just for the money, but to restore her self-confidence.

Jamie rang a taxi and as it was driving her to the club she suddenly realised that she hadn't decided on what to sing. Presumably, there would be a pianist on hand who would be familiar with all the jazz classics. How about 'Love for Sale', a favourite at Lewey's? No, that would not be right at all. Then she had an inspiration; one of her favourite records was Ella Fitzgerald singing 'April in Paris', yes that would be perfect.

The taxi dropped her off outside the club and she paid the fare and added the obligatory tip. The club was in a basement and she carefully negotiated the steps,, thankful that she had rejected the idea of six-inch heels. She pushed open the door to the club and walked into the semi-gloom inside, wondering why night clubs always seemed to economise on electricity in the daytime. A young woman came out of a door and Jamie told her why she was there and asked to speak to 'Mr Irish', saying she had an appointment. If the young woman had been told about her, she gave no indication.

“Sure honey, come this way,” she said, leading Jamie to the main clubroom. It was not unlike Lewey's, with square tables and chairs in the main area, and a stage where a small band consisting of piano, bass, drums and tenor saxophone was playing an upbeat jazz version of 'Tea for Two'. In front of the stage, a man was sitting at a table, tapping his foot in time to the beat. The young woman walked up and whispered in his ear. He looked up, smiled and Jamie and indicated that she should take a seat, which she did, crossing her legs and being careful not to let her skirt ride up too much. She certainly didn't want to give the impression that she was prepared to do anything to get the job.

The band finished, and Ronnie leaned over and said “I'm Ronnie, and I'm guessing you are Jamie? Donny told me all about you. I understand you are a good singer; what would you like to perform for us?”

“Could I sing 'April in Paris'?” asked Jamie.

“Sure,” said Ronnie. “Hey boys, Jamie here wants to sing 'April in Paris' Can you accompany her?”

The man sitting at the piano laughed. “Sure, Ronnie, I think we remember that one.”

Jamie blushed at his remark, but stood and walked the couple of steps onto the stage and stood in front of the microphone.

“What key would you like?” said the pianist.

“C major please,” said Jamie. The pianist nodded to the other band members and played an introduction. Jamie began to sing and suddenly realised that the nerves had left her. When the song came to an end, Ronnie applauded.

“Not bad, not bad at all. Now, how about something more upbeat? You heard the boys playing 'Tea for Two' when you came in, can you do that for us?”

Jamie couldn't believe her luck. She had sung that very song along with Anita O'Day's recording from the Newport Jazz Festival in 1958 many times; it was one of her favourite records.

“I'd be happy to give it a try, Mr Irish,” she said.

The band looked at each other and started to play at a furious pace. Jamie realised what was happening, they were trying her out to see if she could keep up with them. She nearly missed her entry but after that everything was fine and when the number finished, they actually applauded her.

When she came down off the stage, Ronnie said.

“That wasn't at all bad. Why don't you come to the club this evening and see if you like it? About nine o'clock?”

“Thank you, Mr Irish, I'll do that, and thank you for taking the time to hear me.”

“My pleasure Jamie, I'll see you this evening.”

As Jamie returned to the flat, she dared to hope that she would get the job. She realised that the invitation to the club that evening was part of the audition. Ronnie wanted to see how she 'glammed up'.

When she arrived home Frankie was still out, so she went to her room, opened her wardrobe door and looked through her evening gowns. Finally, she selected one in pale yellow silk with threads of gold running through it which she knew would shimmer in the club lighting. She laid it on the bed and then opened her underwear drawers and chose a lingerie set in white silk with generous French lace on the bra and panties. No-one else would see it of course, but it made her feel glamorous and feminine. The final choices were fifteen denier stockings and shoes with six-inch heels that matched the colour of the gown.

After a sandwich for tea, she had a bath and then styled her hair into a chignon. She took extra care with her makeup, before getting dressed. When she had finished she looked at herself critically in the mirror. If Ronnie didn't like what he saw, well it wasn't her fault, she'd done her best.

She picked up her clutch bag and walked out of her bedroom. Frankie was seated on the couch.

“Wow, girl, you look amazing. What's the occasion?”

Jamie smiled for the first time in weeks. “Ronnie Irish heard me sing this morning and invited me to visit the club this evening. I think I have a real chance of getting a job there if I don't blow it.”

“Well, you'll knock him out looking like that,” said Frankie with a smile.

Jamie smiled in return. “I certainly hope so.”

She checked the clock. It was already eight o'clock; she hadn't realised she'd spent so much time getting ready.

“I'll ring for a cab, I want him to know that I'm punctual.”

She arrived at the club at ten minutes to nine. There was a queue outside the door, always a good sign. Jamie walked straight up to the doorman and introduced herself.

“My name is Jamie Brown and Mr Irish has requested that I come tonight.”

It was fairly obvious from the way she was dressed that she wasn't a typical jazz club patron. The man consulted his clipboard and smiled.

“Yes, Miss Brown. Please go inside, you'll find Mr Irish at a table near the stage.”

Jamie smiled at him and entered the club. Just like Lewy's, the “Blue Note' looked a lot better at night, with subdued lighting which gave an intimate feel. She could hear music coming from the door leading into the main club area, and she opened it and stepped inside. As she walked between the tables to where she could see Ronnie Irish sitting at a table by himself, she could feel other patrons' eyes on her. In fact, it would be fair to say a lot of the men were oogling this tall willowy blonde in the striking dress and heels, and more than once received a swift kick under the table from his unimpressed partner or wife!

The band finished their bracket as she neared the table and there was applause as they walked offstage for a break. Ronnie looked up as she arrived at his table, and then stood up. From the look on his face she could see that he was impressed.

“Good evening, Jamie, please take a seat.” He pulled out a chair for her. “Can I get you a drink?”

Jamie glanced at the drink before him and decided to follow suit. “Thank you, I'll have a gin and tonic.”

Ronnie signalled to one of the waitresses and ordered the drink. When it arrived, Jamie took a small sip, she didn't want to look like a heavy drinker.

“I must say you look amazing tonight. In fact, I've just had an idea; when the band comes back, how would you feel about singing those two numbers you sang this morning?”

This was not entirely unexpected and Jamie agreed “Although I'd prefer it if they took 'Tea for Two' a little slower.” she smiled.

Ronnie smiled. “Yes, they were trying you out but you kept up very well. I'll have a word with them. In fact I might just get my horn and sit in with them for the next bracket. Let's go backstage; I'll introduce you and tell them what we're going to do.

Jamie resisted the temptation to take another sip of her drink before following Ronnie to the door leading behind the stage. The band were sitting in their rest area and all stood up when she arrived with Ronnie. She realised that they hadn't immediately recognised her as the young woman from the morning. Ronnie introduced her and told them what he proposed to do. “And guys, take 'Tea for Two' a little slower, o.k.? I'm going to do a solo and I don't want to get left behind.” They laughed and agreed to do what the boss ordered.

He let them walk onto the stage first, and as the applause died down, walked on himself, carrying his trumpet. The applause immediately increased in anticipation of him playing.

“Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. As you know, Cleo, my wife is currently taking leave after presenting me with a bouncing baby boy.” There was cheering at this announcement. “However, I have a treat for you, a singer making her first appearance at the 'Blue Note'. Please give a warm welcome to Miss Jamie Brown.”

There was applause and a few wolf whistles as Jamie walked on stage. She stood in front of the microphone, her heart pounding. Ronnie stood to one side and signalled to the band who played the introduction to 'April in Paris' and Jamie started to sing. She sang it in the style of Ella Fitzgerald, one of the all-time great women jazz singers. As arranged, Ronnie played a solo halfway through, and when the song ended there was cheering and applause. Some of those present even stood. Jamie smiled, partly with relief but there was no time to think about what she had just done, the band was already playing the introduction to 'Tea for Two', and yes, they were taking it more slowly.

Again. Ronnie played a solo part-way through the song, to great applause, and when it was finally finished, they received a standing ovation and cries for an encore. Over the applause, Ronnie said in Jamie's ear “They want more, can you suggest anything?”

“Maybe 'Sweet Georgia Brown'? I sang that at the other club and it went down well. I've sung it to an Anita O'Day recording at Newport.”

“The boys will know that one,” said Ronnie and he walked over and spoke to them, and a few seconds later the drummer started the beat in the Newport recording, Jamie gave it a few seconds and then started to sing. This time Ronnie didn't do a solo, he just let her go, and at the conclusion of the song, the crowd went wild. This time Jamie wasn't prepared for anything more and after many bows, she walked offstage and took her seat at the table once more.

Ronnie walked up to the microphone. “What did I tell you? This young lady is going places, but before she does, I hope she'll be spending some time at the 'Blue Note'.”

There were more cheers and Jamie felt obliged to stand and bow once more. Then the band continued with their bracket and the crowd settled down

Ronnie grinned “That was the best impersonation of Anita O'Day that I ever heard.”

Jamie blushed slightly. “I'll never be as good as her of course, but I tried my best.”

“Well Jamie, your best is good enough for me. Would you like to come in tomorrow morning at ten and rehearse some numbers with the band? Then, if you're ready you can do your first set tomorrow night.”

Jamie was shocked, she expected 'We'll let you know', but it seemed she had a job.

“Yes, and thank you Mr Irish,”

“Call me Ronnie, everyone else does. Now, can I get you another drink? The ice has melted in that one.”

To be continued

Next time: The house singer

up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Heh

TheCropredyKid's picture

The band looked at each other and started to play at a furious pace. Jamie realised what was happening, they were trying her out to see if she could keep up with them. She nearly missed her entry but after that everything was fine and when the number finished, they actually applauded her.

Here i am again, triggered to spout more irrelevant trivia, this time about Fairport Convention, whose annual music festival in Oxfordshire gives me my name:

When founder Ashley Hutchings left Fairport to pursue a more traditional folk direction than FC was playing at the time, they needed a new bass player. The late Dave Swarbrick who was not yet an official member of the band but had been fiddling with them for quite a while, mentioned that he had a buddy from Birmingham, Dave Pegg who might suit.

Richard {Thompson} and Simon {Nicol, after whose family's house in London's Muswell Hill the band was named, since they originally hung out and rehearsed there} were not very hopeful, and when Peggy came in they tried to get rid of him by pulling the same stunt the band does on Jamie. When John Wood, their then manager, came in an hour or so later, they were still happily jamming and never even considered any other bass player...

{Peggy went on to be FC's "longest serving member" - i think they did nine albums before they did two in a row with the same lineup, and both Richard and Simon quite later, though Simon came back.}

Which brings us to 1970 at The Troubador: Fairport were opening for Rick Nelson, both doing two sets a night. Nelson was feeling a bit off and had been passing up his midnight set most nights, so Fairport were doing three sets most nights.

Linda Ronstadt was hanging out at the club, and generally made it a point to be down front during Fairport's sets.

One night they had played a particularly long set and run out of songs ... and they pulled Ronstadt up on stage with them, asking her to sing. She protested she didn't know any of their songs well enough to do them justice.

"That's all right - we know all of yours," was the reply. "Do you still do the same version of 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles' as on the album?" She allowed as how she did.

"Start it off - we'll follow."

Apparently a little trepidatiously, she started it off with the three a capella notes ... and the band crashed in, exactly on key and on the beat.

And they did another whole set of HER music.

I wish the mobile had been there to catch that set...

 
 
 
x