Right to Life - Brain Donor: Part 3.

Printer-friendly version

Right to Life: The Brain Donor

Chapter 3 - Progress.

After another couple months, my progress had reached the point where I was moved out of the hospital, and to a rehabilitation and recovery house. I could type now, not like 60WPM, or anything, but well enough that I could use a computer with speech software to communicate. My upper body was getting stronger. I could lift myself into a wheel chair, and into bed… Although both were rather difficult to do. The plus side of that though was that I no longer needed the colostomy bag and the catheter. I was on soft foods, and feeling stronger. I was still trying to adjust. Peeing sitting down was a difficult thing for me to master, at first.

I sat on the couch, my wheelchair next to it. Heidi was coming over soon for my physical therapy. Speech therapy was difficult, I could make noises, but I was nowhere near being able to talk. A typical session would be me laying down on the floor, as Heidi worked with my legs, stretching them and bending them. It wouldn’t help me at all if the muscles tightened or atrophied. As she manipulated my legs, I ran through a vocal exercise meant to keep my vocal cords limber.

With time left in our session, we headed out to the park. Sometimes Heidi would push my chair, but more and more she made me wheel myself. It was sunny and warm, as August had just arrived. I had on a light tee, and to my dismay, a training bra. I hadn’t started puberty, but Heidi thought that it was a good idea to get me accustomed to wearing one. The very thought of what faced me scared the ever living crap out of me. To think that in a year, maybe two, I’d have tits starting, and I’d be bleeding out of an opening I shouldn’t have. That caused me some night terrors. In addition to my physical therapy, they had me attending regular meetings with a psychiatrist. I accepted that I was given a second chance, but the fact that I was having to live as a pre-teen girl was still causing me emotional issues.

I often woke up crying, and these new emotions were more intense. The doctors explained that since I had a female body now, my hormone levels were those of a girl, and I could expect to feel things in a stronger way.

After wheeling myself around the park a couple times, I was tired. These little girl arms weren’t all that muscular, and even though I didn’t weigh much, the effort exhausted me. Heidi took me home, and we concentrated on sensory observation. I would close my eyes, and she would gently poke a toe, or my arch. Sometimes she would hit my knee with a reflex hammer. After therapy, she took me into the bathroom and helped me with a bath. It was relaxing, and I had to admit, I was getting used to baths. As a guy, I had been more of a quick shower sort. Get in, get done, get out. But there was something relaxing and peaceful about a long soak in the tub, I really couldn’t explain it.

October came, and saw me able to walk with crutches. Admittedly, not for very long, or for very far. Still, it was progress. My speech therapy was also progressing. I was able to speak a little, though I sounded like someone with cerebral palsy, and speaking was hard. I had to be slow and deliberate, or I would be totally unintelligible. Still, all things being equal it was better than being dead.

I did get a rather unexpected surprise. It was Halloween, and I hadn’t been expecting anything. I sat in my room, the on-call nurse had just been by with my medications. There was a knock on the door, and it was Heidi. She wasn’t expected, but she came.
With a twinkle in her eye, and minimal explanation, I found myself in a makeshift Halloween costume. My chair was done up like one of those Dr. Who aliens, the Daleks. With my costume on, I was ushered into a van and taken to the children’s ward back at the hospital. A wonderful time was had. I joined the children as movies were shown, and candy given out. I had to stick to the softer candies, of course. Still it was an awesome time.

After the party, I sat in the dark and thought long and hard. Heidi had gone as a sexy witch. Her cleavage was visible, but still acceptable. The short dress accented her legs. If I had been the old me, I would have had my own ‘magic wand’ rather prominent. But as it is, nothing. I had thought about this on occasion, but now it was really hammered home. I had lost my sex drive and had to wonder. Would I get it back? Would I be a straight girl? Would I become a lesbian? The thought of some dude sticking his dick in me did nothing for me but give me a nauseous feeling. I sighed and re-focused on the party.

Thanksgiving came and went, with nobody to celebrate with. I sat in my room and watched football alone. By then though I was more mobile. I was walking on my own, needing just a cane. My speech was coming along too, I was mostly understandable, although I had a heavy lisp. Heidi and I were working on my expected transition out of the therapy house, prioritizing my language skills and working on writing. Although I had use of my hands, my penmanship was terrible. I had tremors that caused my hands to shake, meaning my writing was very sloppy.

Christmas saw me invited home by Heidi. We sat in her apartment and enjoyed a modest meal that she had cooked herself. Apparently she had no close family or friends, and usually worked on the Holidays. After dinner, we sat on the couch together and listened to carols. It was different, but nice. I was due to be released just after New Years, but there were complications. Legally, I was a nobody. I had no assets, no home, no name. I was a non-person in the eyes of the law. Worse yet, I was a minor AND a non-entity, from a legal standpoint.

I sat in the darkness of my room, it was the day after Christmas. I was walking, talking doing everything expected. I couldn’t run, and I was still having some slight troubles with speaking and writing, but I was okay. I got up and walked to the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, I saw that same face. The petite girl with the black hair and the sparkling blue eyes. Me. That was me now. A me that didn’t exist to the world.

I knew that the original plan had been for me to quietly be set up in an apartment that was paid for by the Hospital and several other organizations, but apparently that plan had been nixed by the lawyers. Of course it was the lawyers. Probably the same reason that there hadn’t been any news conferences to show me off and to talk about the operation. I couldn’t see somewhere as prestigious as the Mayo Clinic doing something shady and underhanded, but surely there was a reason for all the hush-hush, sweeping under the carpet of the whole affair.

I was resolved to ask Heidi when I saw her next, but other thoughts loomed large. I was out of here in a matter of days. To be thrown out into the Minnesota winter was all but a death sentence. I had less than a week to figure something out.

The day came, and I was out the door. All I had was a sweatsuit and some old sneakers. This was it. It was cold. There was snow falling, and the wind was howling. I walked slowly out the door, facing my second brush with cold and death. I was resigned to my fate, when suddenly I felt a tug on my sweatshirt.

I turned around and was face to face with Heidi. She handed me a key, and told me a cab was on its way. I stood there stunned.

“Whath going on?” I asked, my lisp coming out as I stood there tearing up.

Heidi looked at me and smiled. “You are going to my apartment. I won’t abandon you to the streets.”

I cried and bit at my lower lip as the cab pulled up. Heidi helped me into the back seat and handed me money to pay for the cab. She went over to the driver’s window and gave the address, and I was off.

I sat in the apartment, in a daze. It seemed like hours until Heidi came home. I heard her keys jangle as she came in.

“Thomas? You in here?”, she called. I looked up from the couch and waved her over. We sat there in silence for what seemed like hours, but was probably only a few minutes.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words could come out. Heidi spoke instead. “I know things are tough, but I’m not going to abandon you. I could never do that. I’m off tomorrow, and I’m going to call a friend of mine. She’s a lawyer. We will figure out how to help you.”

I slept in Heidi’s bed that night. She took the couch. I had offered to take the couch, but she had refused rather adamantly. I fell asleep quickly that night, surrounded by warmth and optimism.

I sat on the couch in an over-sized tee that draped like a dress on my small frame. I finished my cheerios and turned suddenly at the knocking on the door. Heidi bolted up and ran over, peering through the keyhole. With a relieved sigh, she undid the chain bolt and opened the door.

A tall woman entered, perhaps close to 6 foot. She was wearing a black trench coat and fedora, and carried a briefcase. There was a large bag slung over her shoulder. She put her bag and briefcase down and leaned in and kissed Heidi on the cheek. There was an intimacy and closeness there that I picked up on right away.

Heidi turned toward me and nodded her head at me. “Thomas, meet Rebecca Erikson. Becca, this is Thomas.”

Rebecca looked me over and nodded. “Hello, Heidi told me all about you, and I did some digging. Unfortunately any assets you had have been liquidated, and the money was donated to charity. As for legal status, that’s another sticky wicket. Officially, you are dead. Thomas Kinkaid died that night in the operating room. Furthermore, the records of your body’s identity have been sealed by a judge, and she also is legally dead.”

I sighed and slumped over. “Tho thath’s it. I’m a nobody, and I’m doomed.”

Rebecca looked at me sympathetically, “There is still an option, though you might not want to hear it.”

“I’m lithening”, I said.

“We do have your redacted medical history. With that, we can legally generate a new identity for you, but obviously it would be as a female minor.”, Rebecca said looking at me.

“Meaning I’d be thtuck in the juvenile thysthtem.”, I said with tears starting to form.

Heidi came over and wrapped her arm around my shoulders and drew me into a hug. “Not if someone were to legally adopt you. Of course, you would be considered a minor, so that person would need to assume total guardianship over you and make sure you are provided for. Make sure you go to school, and take care of your emotional and physical well-being. Since I’ve been doing that already, why not make it permanent?”

I looked at her and hugged her tightly. “You would do that for me?” I said, tears still flowing. Ugh… these damn girl hormones.

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

why the secrecy ?

I cant believe they would spend so much time and energy helping her get better and then throw her out onto the streets. I hope that doesnt mean Heidi is not sincere

DogSig.png

Lawyers.

It comes down to lawyers... "you did this thing, it was amazing, but we didn't realize certain issues that could come up"

Had Trouble With That Too...

One, how could they justify all the time and money spent rehabbing her -- even if they weren't going to admit how she got there -- if the end plan (or lack of one) was to abandon her? Easier on everyone to claim that they took her in off the streets as a Jane Doe who'd clearly suffered a disabling injury, failed to identify her any further and eventually had to turn her over to the civil authorities after rehabbing her to the point where she could survive.

And it's no more expensive to do that than it is to abandon her, especially since I doubt that they can hide everything about her existence since moving her to the rehab facility. They might even get the state to reimburse them for the therapy expense.

Granting that it's better for the lawyers if she dies of exposure, outside of the fact that not all corporate attorneys are eager to become accessories to homicide, it's not all THAT likely. If she finds temporary shelter somewhere, the last part of her story -- abandonment by a major, wealthy medical institution -- is probably enough for her to find a lawyer who'd take a chance on coming out of it with a big settlement. (I doubt that either side would want it to go to trial.) After all, she's not a clueless preteen. mentally, but an adult mind with full Internet capability -- and the institution's lawyers know it.

Eric

I'm having a lot of trouble with

her legal status, at the very least the courts would appoint a legal representative to insure her legal and financial rights were respected. Other wise in about 10 years there is going to be a huge lawsuit. You can not just strip someone of their legal identity like that.

Sigh...the inevitable secrecy

Sigh...the inevitable secrecy and abandonment these stories almost always seem to have.
At least it was well written and there was no attempt toexplain the mess reasons for the secrecy, and it does lead to Thomas presenting as a young girl which sounds like a great story.

I Like This Story.

This is a general comment; no offense intended. This has been sort of bugging me for a long time.

I keep reading stories like this where a guy's body, for some reason, becomes female. (morphs universe and many others). This one is novel and quite interesting, but they all ignore the gender dysphoria. We are a TG site and I guess many of us suffer / have suffered from gender dysphoria. We also know that GD can lead to depression, addictive drugs, self harm and suicide.

These stories take someone with cis gender identity and switch their bodies sex. They are now TG. I can't imagine how most people, under these circumstances, could avoid GD.

> in a year, maybe two, I’d have tits starting, and I’d be bleeding out of an opening I shouldn’t have <

What to do? Treat Thomas like any other F2M. Put er on blockers with T ASAP! If E doesn't have much GD now, the onset of puberty will worsen it big time.

F2Ms aren't something to be avoided or hidden; they are our mirror image and have very similar problems to our own. If a story plot causes a transperson it's only right to treat er as we would wish to be treated.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ordinarily that might be a possibility.

I'd be concerned about adding another med on top of the anti-rejection meds and all the other meds that Thomas might be on.

I believe it's not as simple as that

First thing you have to remember is that 95% (the other 5% are religious nutcases) of the anti-LGBT community are the way they are because they fear their own homosexual thoughts and dark fantasies. Seriously if you are sure of your own masculinity, femininity or heterosexuality what do you care about what someone else does in the privacy of their own bedroom? You don't! It's only those that are insecure that care.

"Oh my god if I'm seen talking to that gay/lesbian/transgendered person people will think I'm gay/lesbian/transgendered!"

Yes Tom could possibly be a guy who is so scared of losing his masculinity that he would suffer GD after the transplant, but not all men are like that. There are some that are so sure of their inner self that it would not bother them as much as you might think. I think for the most part people are pretty adaptable and a higher percentage of people in this situation would adapt to the new gender. Yes there are those that would think "I'm a guy and I can't live as a girl!" But I believe that most would eventually look at the bright side, "I'm alive! I'm young again!" Personally I think if I were in her shoes, I would be much more worried about getting the fine motor control back, rather than 'do I sit or stand to pee'

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Yes and no

Such fics also make me think - "how would I react?"
Well, being gender swapped is better than dead.
But I'd be be the butchiest dyke in town.
A boobjob for that delightfull flat chest is on the books, same going for surgery involving ovaries, cervixes and stuff ...

This struck me as funny

Nyssa's picture

"Peeing sitting down was a difficult thing for me to master, at first." Seriously? How hard can it be? It seems to me like peeing standing up is the method that requires some skill. Not that many guys exhibit any skill at it, or cleaning up after it.

Keep in mind ...

that She's dealing with relearning how to operate a whole new body with new tendencies.

No, I got that...

Nyssa's picture

As I commented in an earlier chapter, it’s not a simple matter of the brain just being hooked up to new nerves and organs. The new brain would have no systems nor interfaces, nor control for the new body.

It just struck me as a funny phrase.

Ease up, people.

I never did understand how some people can nit pick the silliest of things when dealing with a FICTION SITE. A place where magic, fantasy, sci-fi and other forms of fiction rule.

btw, I also agree with your viewpoint upon standing to pee (and aiming and clean up) being a skill (that as you mentioned, many have not acquired yet).

Procedure that shouldn't have been done?

Jamie Lee's picture

How cold can those slime bags be? The hospital wants to do what's right in providing support and the like, and all the lawyers can see is dollar signs from some legal action. Or is that the whole reason?

Nothing has been said publically about the brain transplant and the people who did all this are being told to throw Thomas to the wolves. Distance themselves from her, wash their hands of her. Why?

The only reason the lawyers have told the hospital to dump Thomas is that the procedure was unauthorized. It went against medical ethics, it violated Thomas' rights because he couldn't give or resend the right to do the procedure.

Or, an untried medical procedure had not been cleared by the medical board. In short, the hospital set themselves up for not only a huge lawsuit from Thomas but loss of licenses by the medical board and possibly legal action by State and Federal agencies.

While their intentions were valid in trying to keep Thomas alive, though in a different body, they already committed a crime in washing their hands of the very person they helped continue living. They violated their oaths of do no harm, and were going to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Others have feelings too.

Suspension of belief...

Honestly a procedure such as this is far beyond current medical abilities so the question of "if" doctors would preform it or a hospital would even allow it to be preformed in their facilities is a moot point. That's why it's called suspension of belief, we know this could not happen, but we choose to ignore the facts because the story is entertaining.

What I find more difficult to believe in this story and at least other "brain transplant" story I've read here, is that the operation is done in a regular hospital in complete secrecy without any information about it leaking to the media. Let's face it, the first successful brain transplant in real life would be world news and the doctors that preformed the operation would be celebrities.

Now back in our story universe, it seems from the way the hospital lawyers are acting that the hospital administration is not very happy with the doctors and the operation they preformed. Which means they are also not very happy with and probably ready to blackball the doctor that preformed the world's first successful brain transplant!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the doctor's best move is to save his career..."Hello, channel 9 news, yes I'd like to talk to you about the world's first successful brain transplant. Why yes I'm available to come down to tape an interview..."

The doctor would be smart enough (after all he did just preform the world's first brain transplant) not to say the hospital was for or against the procedure or talk about how the hospital reacted after the fact. And focus on the procedure and patient recovery while of course stating that the patient's name cannot be released due to patient confidentiality. The hospital would want in on all the publicity the interview would generate, so they would fall in behind the doctor in support.

Once the press begins feeding on the story, they would of course do their best to find out the name of the patient. The original parents of the girl, not subject to HIPAA laws, could make a fortune interviewing with reporters that are dying to learn the identity of patient X. And while they may not know what new name the girl goes by now, they will have plenty of pictures.

the hospital, knowing the press would eventually find out who she is and fearing what the girl might eventually say to the press would bend over backwards to help her in all ways possible so that when she was eventually found and interviewed, she would paint the hospital in a favorable light.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.