Pen Pals : 11

Printer-friendly version

Pen Pals
by Kaleigh Way
of the Pen Pal Continuum

Well! I feel a lot better now that everyone's introduced themselves. Like I said, my school counselor thought I could "benefit" from contact with people from outside this area, and I think I will. Maybe not the benefit that *she* thought, but I'm sure I'll benefit.

What I'm saying is that I was a bit nervous about writing. I assumed that I'd be the youngest one here, but I also assumed I was the only one who wasn't completely happy with their situation in life.

I sure didn't expect to not be the only one living in the middle of a very hot nowhere. We've been topping 100 degrees lately.

For you UK-sians, we've been going well over 38 degrees every day. Usually this time of year there are no clouds at all, but because of the wildfires it's quite hazy. The air quality is bad, and even though it doesn't bother me, my parents won't let me ride my bike. One of my parents' friends (one of the few I like) has to stay in ONE room in her house, hunkered down with her air purifier. She even has breathing problems on good days.

Luckily, all the fires are far away from us, so we're not worried about getting burned out. And no jackasses started any fires on the Fourth, so we're good.

So...

I was also interested to see that I'm not the only one who isn't 100% comfortable with their name. Stormy, I think your name is fine. It is a mouthful, but it's not bad. I mean, if you called yourself Lady Melisande Agatha Decker-Williston (of the Sheffield's Crossing Decker-Willistons), I don't think anyone would think twice about it.

Which, now that I say it... well, no, it doesn't sound pretentious. It's just long by American standards.

My own name, in the Spanish style (and this will show you why I don't like MY name) is:

Lindsay Felisa Maria Solidad Nieves Lindsay

Because your last two names are your father's last name and your mother's last name. My mother — knowing full well the wrong and the damage she was doing — gave me Lindsay as my first name EVEN THOUGH it was already there in my last name.

We've fought about this many times... Oh, man! And I didn't want to get into this, but what the hell...

I'm Puertorican, and proud of the fact, but unfortunately, I look just like my mother, with pale skin and blond hair, so everyone thinks I'm white.

I'm not.

And my mother has ALWAYS assumed that I want to live in the Anglo world, as if my Boriken (Puertorican) heritage didn't matter.

And so, you know — well, maybe you won't know, so I'll tell you — but just reading about the rest of you so far gives me hope that I can get away from all this: this hot little town, my stupid name, and some parts of my family.

But, sorry! Don't mean to complain. Now that I've whined so much, I have to find something nice to end with.

Okay: here are a few things.

For the Fourth of July, the winds blew all the haze away, so we had nice, clean air for the holiday weekend. My friend Lewis got one firework: one HUGE thing like a rocket, and he lit it off from my backyard.

It took off into the air, at least twice as high as any of the houses around, and we got SO SCARED that it was going to come down and set something on fire. It didn't seem like a stupid idea until it was hanging up there in the air. Because, you know, all the plants and houses and everything on the ground is as dry as old matchboxes.

Obviously, we weren't supposed to do it.

It exploded with a tremendous BAM!, and this big bright fountain of blue, red, and white, opened up like a flower.

At first we were astonished and happy (and tremendously relieved that we hadn't started a wildfire). Then we heard neighbors yelling, so my friends and I all ran into my house and hid for half an hour with the lights off, laughing our heads off.

My mean neighbor, Mr. Curry, asked me if I knew anything about it the next day, and I feigned innocence, so he was disgusted and walked off, which added some quality to the event.

Another nice thing: on Saturday, I was walking with my friend by the river, and we saw a family of deer. They were only maybe ten yards away, but they were upwind of us, so we stood still and they couldn't see us. We watched them for a while but then Denise had to cough, which scared them off.

One last thing, also very nature-y: Last week, a cow and a sheep turned up in my neighbor's front yard. This is VERY unusual, since the ranches are not that close to us. Anyway, there was a group of animals being taken somewhere (who cares where) and these two got away. My neighbor, again, Mr. Curry (who is not a nice man), had just put in sod in his front yard, and the two animals walked all over it, leaving these deep, deep hoof-prints. They ripped huge pieces of sod out of place, and took big bites out of it.

And even better: they didn't mess with anyone else's yard but his.

Oh, my God, it was so funny! I don't know if you've ever seen someone try to shoo a cow away, but it's a riot. He's there, waving his arms, going "Shoo! Shoo, Bossy! Shoo, shoo!" and of course the cow just chews away, staring at him like he's an idiot.

It was only after he ran in the house to call animal control that the two animals left, and no one knew where they'd gone. I guess they're on the lam. (ha ha)

Plus, in the sod, there were these teeny tiny frogs, less than an inch long, and now they are everywhere. Super cute. My little sister Bibi loves them.

Oh, dear God, what am I telling you!?

Yes, people! Things can get so desperately boring that you laugh at cows.

Laters,


Snowy

up
27 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ICR: from Stormy

I never said I didn't LIKE my name. I love my name. It says so much about me, and that's only added to when you add in my nickname. My parents will ONLY call me Stormy, though, as if calling me by my actual name would be condoning my life, such as it is.

They've not really... approved... of me or anything I've done since I was 15, and they most definitely didn't want me coming back to Sheffield's Crossing to "embarrass" them after I got my degree and teaching certificate.

But I think that's what parents are there for... to be disappointed in us for our accomplishments.
Stormy

ICR: from Ginanna ... Winds light to variable

Stormy, I mean Snowy,

Jeeze, I feel like I’m writing to the NOAA weather site.

St George Utah? Back in the 1950’s it wouldn’t be smoke from fires but radioactive fallout from the Atomic Proving Grounds you’d have to dodge. Sorry, I have a minor in US History, Twentieth Century. What can I say, I LOVE technology.

Be proud of your heritage, being Puerto Rican is cool.

P.S. Not all people of Latin or Hispanic decent have dark skin and hair. There are even blond Italians, Sophia Loren’s mom won a Great Garbo look-a-like contest back in the 1930s. I’m a trivia nut too, forgot to mention it. And yes, I like Japanese ani … ane … cartoons.

Do me a BIG favor, Snowy, Hon. Please stay away from fireworks. I’m an organic chemist and I know the danger of these things. At least you had the sense to be afraid of it … that is VERY SMART on your part. I did this synthesis of tetra nitrocellulose once for a lab assignment. It was plastic discovered in the late 1800s and used for early motion picture film. Something went wrong. To be honest a fellow student got cocky and tried to make hex nitrocellulose AKA gun cotton instead; it’s reputation for being unstable is justified. … We lost a lab bench and a couple windows. If people had been in the lab, it makes me sick to think. And that was mere ounces of it at most.

The stuff they use in fireworks is not technically high explosives but an aerial shell like you describe would take your hand off in an accident. Please be careful.

With love,

Ginanna Sachs

John in Wauwatosa

ICR: from George

laika's picture

Well Snowy, that IS a pretty long name but I've heard longer hispanic names. I guess it goes back to the Spaniards themselves. A town 50 miles up the road from here was called El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reyna de los Angeles de Porcincula, if I spelled all that right, till us Gringos shortened it to L.A. My sister-in-law is a Maria Soledad, slightly different spelling. I don't have a problem with my own name. Three sylables (not counting the middle name I just dont use)and pretty dull and anonymous. which is fine with me.

When I was a kid I loved fireworks, now as the 4th rolls around it's: "What moron is going to start a huge fire this time? I thought it was just me getting old, glad to see others worry about it. Capo Valley has changed though since our house went up. THere's a lot more neighborhoods between us and the start of the brush. We still see coyotes, but theyre urban coyotes now. The other day one was doing gang signs at me. (My wife said I should pull the stick out of m tell a joke so that was it).

George