Pen Pals : 8

Printer-friendly version

Pen Pals
by Angharad
of the Pen Pal Continuum

Hiya,

My name is Paige Turner, I’m 19 and live in Cardiff, the capital of Wales. I doubt you ‘mericans have ever heard of it, although at one time most of the coal used in the world was exported through it.

I’m a student doing my first year pre-clinical studies, which means in about a million years, I could be a doctor, medical one in case you didn’t get that. It’s hard work and I don’t have a lot of time for much else–I’m not the cleverest in my year, so I take longer to do most things.

Why am I doing this course? I think because I could do it at my own pace and because it’s very different from the biochem and physics they are trying to force into my crowded little brain at my formal university.

Not much else to say at the moment, I live at home, which means I get to eat regularly and my mother does most of my laundry–I’m an only child, so I suppose I get spoilt, just a little. My dad is a physiotherapist, so I suspect, I’m getting his medical degree by proxy–he always wanted to be a doctor. My mother is a social worker–you know, takes children off harmless parents and puts them in care for their own good. You know the difference between a rottweiler and a social worker? The rottweiler eventually gives the baby back–yeah, okay it isn’t that funny, but then like most girls, I can’t tell jokes.

I really am going now, I have an assignment to complete, it’s only a week late.

Bye,

Paige 8)

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ICR: from Danny


Hi Paige,

Looks like you're the closest to me geographically, although it's not really that close, so don't worry, I shan't be popping in for tea!

Nice to know that I'm not the only person from the UK taking this course.

Welcome aboard!

Danny

ICR: from Ginanna

Paige,

I hate to break it to you but your parents were either a bit dim or had a weird sense of humor. Paige Turner = page turner, you know? I have a sore spot when it comes to parents and cutesy or ill-considered names. Did the kids in school call you strange nicknames in school?

I’m impressed by your hard work but is medicine what you really want for yourself? All that math and all is a strong background for any technical field. But you hinted your dad is pushing this, that he’s living HIS fantasy of being a doctor out though you. What you imply about your mother disturbed me a lot. You don’t think much of the social welfare system or of your Mom’s place in it. Why be part of a system you are uncomfortable with?

So why, if you are struggling and are low in your class ranking, are you doing this? Not to say those who finish last can’t become successful later on, look as America’s General US Grant. He did terrible at WestPoint, left the army due to loneliness and drunkenness and later led the biggest army the nation ever had until the WWI. Maybe you will make a fine doctor. I do realize the first year in college, and particularly so for professions such as medicine or engineering, are deliberately set up to weed out those who aren’t serious or capable of succeeding in the field they picked. You sound unhappy to me.

I’m not saying quit. Finish out your current year’s courses as intended but think in the meantime, ‘is this what I want for ME?’ It may be tradition to honor you parents but entering their field of work but if it makes you miserable, why do it as you will fail and hurt them and yourself. What are you good at? What do you like? These are important questions.

Maybe I’m totally wrong here. All I’m saying is, choose what YOU want/desire, not what others want for you. You live at home and have alot of suport, food, rent, washing from your parents. This frees up a lot of time for you yet you are falling way behind in your classwork early in the term. Something doesn't add up.

Ginanna Agatha Sachs

John in Wauwatosa

ICR : from George

laika's picture

Hello Paige. Everybody.
I had heard of Cardiff, but it's about the only city in Wales I'm familiar with. We have a Cardiff on our coast. Seems like most city names in America are either mispronounciations of old Indian words or copied from someplace else ....... I don't get why Paige Turner is supposed to be such a funny name. How would someone read a book if they didn't turn the pages? (Or is that a new slang term? My wife had to explain to me what a "pillow biter" was when we heard it on television. I can't say what I was more shocked by, the vulgarity or her knowing what it meant!)

I guess the one thing we all have in common is that we're going for a degree of some sort. Medicine sounds like a good field to go into. There will always be sick people, and looking ahead I don't think many patients will want to put their trust in a computer to fix them any time soon. My own college goals are nowhere that ambitious. A general studies degree. Partly something to do with my retirement. Partly I guess vanity, wanting to show up my brother Phil who does have a degree and really looks down his nose at me. A dumb reason, but it's one of them. And some of my classes like Geology I'm just interested in. Anyway good to meet you, Paige.

George