Curtain Call

Printer-friendly version


Curtain Call


By E.M. Pisek

This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 Unported License.
________________________________________

The curtain lowered, slower when compared to the many others over the course of its lifetime. A far less speeder deliverance from those early heydays while sharing the stage with an unseen spotlight. Both once bright and colorfully new. Now worn and dim.

Gone were the multitudes who once graced its stage with the opening and closing act. Years of performances brought about different reactions as the actor took center stage to perform endless plays, scenes, all before various crowds. Without fail the curtain rose and lowered when needed as the spotlight pointed to whom the star was holding many captivated with his performance. The world danced around him and he around it.

Once, both had been fresh and bright, sparkling new, now worn, and faded from where many others shared center stage with its principle star. Scuff marks clearly visible from the once pristine days as wood splintered and cracked even after countless remolding’s. Sections sagged from where heavy burdens sat upon it leaving deep grooves and heavy stains. Edges lay uneven due to imperfections from distorted placements. Parts quickly mended over lay imperfect yet never replaced from when first built.

Every day the star showed, sick or bothered, alone or partnered, joined if only momentarily with the light always focused over the star. Casts and crew moved to some unheard music even as the numbers flowed to a trickle as the music grew distant and silent. Many members faded away even as he held true to the rise and fall of the curtain. Never had there been a dress rehearsal nor a possible retake. Every mistake and achievement played out before living spectators who mingled passed his stage hearing many fumbled lines or seeing the missteps. No more would there be a need to worry about such concerns as the start took center stage one final time.

Gone were the cast and spectators that had once filed by to watch his performances. All gone or denied entrance. Members that once supported him let go save him as the spotlight faded, and the tattered curtain lowered. Softly did the light try to continue its somber glow upon him even as its light dwindled. He needed no reminder of where the casting director desired him to be for this one final performance.

His once spotless curtain now aged; tattered, faded, and worn as he. Never again to rise with its slow descent. With one final glance the star dared look with uncertainty. Would it be wrong of him to bid adieu to his once grateful audience? Then passed knowing it mattered not for he would only find resounding silence.

Turning away, he pushed aside the curtain one final time, giving what he hoped to be a bit of flourish thanks towards the light now gone leaving behind an empty stage once filled with laughter, anger, sadness, dismay, and gratitude. A stage once bright now forever dark as the actor traveled to some unseen audience sight unseen—now dismissed.

First and last was he, the star, to enter and exit this stage as the curtain closed behind him.

The last curtain call.

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time Passes By

Daphne Xu's picture

... and all good things must come to an end. I'm a bit teary-eyed.

-- Daphne Xu

A very good piece...

... and sometimes things look like an end, but actually aren't.

As long as the star is still breathing, he will be that star - and the show will go on. :)

Melancholy

joannebarbarella's picture

The passing of an age, but old players never die.

An era ends

Jamie Lee's picture

When age takes its toll, when it's a repeat of previous works, when the audience dwindles to the point where it's impossible to make good repairs, it's time to realize that an era has come to an end. And it's time to move on to something new.

Unless the person is so infatuated with their own past they become stuck in that era.

Others have feelings too.