The Witch of the West, Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 13: Out of Darkness

I’d been shot and was dying. Still, I was not afraid. I saw mother first, then father and David. They said nothing, but I could feel their welcoming love. Behind them were the Sergeant, Agnes, and a tunnel of light, which beckoned me. I was moving toward it when mother, without saying anything, said that my task was not complete. I must go back. Reluctantly, I agreed. As they faded away, I knew that I would never be alone.

When I awoke, Anne and the children sighed with relief. Sandy hugged me so hard I could not breathe. My hair was matted with blood and bound with strips torn my petticoat. My head ached terribly. Turning, I saw a man’s body by the entrance with my Sheffield still in his back.

“What happened?”

“You were shot in the head and then choked. Luckily the shot only grazed your skull – Peggy threw a rock that spoiled his aim. I’m afraid I tore more strips from your petticoat to bind your head – it was ruined already. I hope you do not mind.”

“Mind? No, I am grateful to you! … The children have escaped unharmed?”

“Yes,” said Sandy, “we escaped. Peggy and I were playing with her jumping rope behind the mansion when we heard a crash and shooting. Mrs. O’Grady came running out and shouted for us to run. That man,” he said pointing to the body, “came out and shot her down. We hid in the berry thicket, but he was beating the bushes with a stick, looking for us. I remembered what you said. So I grabbed Peggy’s arm, and we ran for the cave.”

“We lit a candle and sat quietly,” Peggy continued. “After a while we heard crunching and branches breaking.”

“I took Peggy and all the candles and hid over there – where you showed me.”

“Yes, and I blew our candle out,” Peggy added. “Then we saw him come in. We both stayed real still – even when we heard mother calling.”

“He lit matches looking for us, but they burned out before he found us.”

“When he heard mother calling, he went back to the entrance. We could see him holding his gun.”

“We didn’t know what to do. Peggy got a rock to throw at him. When I saw you coming in, I shouted, and Peggy threw her stone. When it hit him, his gun went off. We thought you were shot dead.” He started crying.

“Then he bent down, and started to choke you. I got another rock, but before I could throw it, mother came in and stuck a knife in him – and kept sticking him until he fell over and did not get up.”

“You were both very brave and smart. I’m proud of you,” I croaked, then passed out.

We spent the night in the cave. I slept while Anne kept watch. At first light she woke me.

“What shall we do with him?” she said, indicating the villain.

“We could leave him here to rot, or throw him into the river.”

“Ick! Don’t leave him here, he’ll stink up the whole cave. Throw him away like trash!” said Sandy.

I agreed. A killer would defile Agnes’s cave. Anne was indifferent. I retrieved my Sheffield, wiped it on his waistcoat, and offered it to her, but she would not touch it. I put it in my bag. Searching him, we found a second, discharged, derringer in his pocket. His shoulder bag contained caps, powder and ball; chewing tobacco; and an envelope with five $20.00 banknotes and a plan of the mansion. An arrow pointed to the nursery.

I offered Anne his pistols, which she accepted. I charged them for her, and suggested she put one in her purse and the other in her stocking.

We dragged him to the cave mouth and shoved him. He rolled down the bluff, catching here and there, but ending in the water. The current carried him away.

Anne helped me up the bluff, as I was still dizzy. Avoiding the house, we found Becky, hitched her to the trap, and left Yonkers.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

See Chapter 14

joannebarbarella's picture

Muxed-ip.

Yep

Yep

Just desserts for the guilty

Jamie Lee's picture

If Leyden keeps spending money like water, his stipend will soon be spent. And all he's getting for his money is dead underlings.

Others have feelings too.