The Witch of the West, Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 11: Forewarned

Since I was dressed like a man, Karl insisted that we all discuss my report over brandy. This time I received a full snifter, rather than a taste. I recounted my encounter with the man on the train. When I told of bringing him into the dream world, they seemed incredulous. "I assure you, I am telling the unvarnished truth."

"I believe you are speaking in earnest," said Karl. "Give me a moment to think. ... I recall reading something that may be related to your ‘dream world.’ Franz Mesmer, a German physician, did something like it. He called it ‘animal magnetism.’ More recently, James Braid, a Scot, called what Mesmer did ‘hypnosis.’ Nancy, I wonder if you might demonstrate it for us?”

“On whom?”

“On Constance, or perhaps Alexander?”

Thinking of her romp with the blacksmith’s apprentice and delicate condition, I said, “I would not want to intrude on Constance’s privacy. Alexander would be better.” This might be an opportunity to disclose her feminine constitution.

Shortly, Constance brought Alexander to the library.

"You're a man again, Miss ... Sir? ... with a moustache and beard!"

"It is just a bit of witchery. ... I will be a woman again later."

“Alexander, dear, I wonder if we could try a little experiment on you.”

“‘Experiment’?”

“Yes, a trial. I promise it will not hurt. When it is over, you will feel quite nice.”

“If you think it best, Miss.”

He entered the dream world faster than anyone before. I asked him about his experiences with Miss Grundel. They were far more extensive and brutal than he had told me.

Hearing of them enraged Karl. The account of van der Leyden’s betrayal of Emily and subsequent behavior toward Alexander raised his anger to high peak. I could see the veins in his forehead clearly as they stood out. It was a terrible countenance -- one that made me imagine him at war.

I gave him a moment to compose himself. Then said, “Karl, I want to show you one more thing – something Alexander would be loathe saying awake. … Alexander, remember last Friday on our way to town – you told me what kind of soul you have. What kind is it, dear?”

“A girl’s soul, Miss.”

“And what kind of boy are you, dear?”

“A tom boy, miss.”

“What name do you prefer?”

“Alexandria.”

“What happened at the dry goods, Alexandria?”

“We looked at Peterson’s Magazine, and I showed you the kinds of dresses I like. You said you would make two for me. I picked out organdy and calico for them.”

“And did that make you happy?”

“Very, miss.”

“Ok, shortly you will wake up and not remember what we talked about, but you will feel lovely and loved …”

“I need some moments to calm myself and reflect,” said Karl.

I took the occasion to put Sandy to bed.

When I returned, Karl said, “I am not surprised to learn that that Alex … Alexandria has a girl’s soul, and, as I told you, I leave it to you to rear him as seems best -- I know nothing of raising children.”

The Sergeant seemed very agitated by this. “It just isn’t right to put a boy that age in a dress.”

“Even if his mother dressed him so?”

“Well, women don’t always know …”

“Perhaps,” said Karl, “but, as Alexandria said, she has a girl’s soul. Even you must admit to that, Sergeant?”

“I s’pose … Yeah, he don’t act like any boy I seen. … Still, it don’t seem fittin’.”

“It is the hand we’ve been dealt. So, it is the hand we shall play. … Nancy, how did you come to learn about your ‘dream world’?”

I told him of my training under Agnes.

“You are indeed a gem, Nancy. Your actions on the train may well buy us time. Obviously, providence has sent you to aid us in our hour of need.”

I could only blush.

“We have learned much tonight of our continuing danger. We should sleep upon this news before making further plans; however, Sergeant, I want you to keep your Colt ready to hand, not in the entry hall. The same goes for you, Nancy.”

I withdrew my pistol from my shoulder bag to show Karl I was prepared.

“Good! Let us finish our brandy and retire.”

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

I really enjoy this story

Thank you

I put a lot of time and research into it, so I am gratified.

Andra

Interesting that Karl.......

D. Eden's picture

Would know of Mesmer and Braid, but then again you had already described him as a being well read and intelligent. The Sergeant’s reaction is expected, and he actually took it better than one would normally think would happen.

But then again, he seems to enjoy Nancy playing at gender bending.

I fully expect that both Nancy and the Sergeant will find use for their revolvers soon.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Self-Education

Self-education used to be a major American value, with everyone from presidents to mechanics seeing its value.

The time is coming.

Okay

joannebarbarella's picture

Nancy has revealed her "witchcraft" and I'm guessing it will soon be time for her to move west in order to protect Alexandria.

:)

Indeed

Fore warned to be fore armed

Jamie Lee's picture

Knowing Leyden is sending men after Alexander gives Karl, Nancy, and Sergeant a leg up to be prepared in keeping Alexander safe.

Maybe Leyden needs a taste of his own medicine. Maybe a nice mugging, where he loses all his valuables.

Others have feelings too.