Pas de Deux Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version
ballet duet8.jpg
Pas de Deux

A novel by Bronwen Welsh
A Sequel to 'Antonette's Story'


Copyright 2021
 


Chapter 10   Kate and Ben's Wedding

The day came when the Whites arrived at Heathrow. Fortunately, the flight landed in the morning, and Jack, Ben and I picked them up in two cars and took them to their parents' house. Ben was rather naughty and drove past the theatre where Jack and I were performing, to point out our names on the billboards, and I had to explain where the name 'du Pré' came from. It seemed that all the women were looking forward to attending a performance on Friday night. Kate hadn't said anything about us performing at her wedding as that was to be a surprise.

Friday night was a great success. Kate, Marjorie White, her daughter-in-law Wendy, my Mummy and sister Jeanette and Jack and Ben's mother, were in attendance, and at supper afterwards, where Jack was the only male present, they were all very complimentary about our performances.

--ooOoo--

The wedding day arrived. Kate stayed overnight at my parents' place where she and I would be getting ready, assisted by my Mummy and Jeanette. Jack went to Kate and Ben's flat to get ready with him. Kate and I agreed that we would not employ professional hair and makeup artists. I have seen their work before and while it is very glamorous, sometimes the bride just doesn't look like her normal self. We were up early and after a light breakfast, everyone got to work. I must say that I think the final results were very satisfactory; Kate looked amazing and I don't think I looked too bad either. We were dressed in our bridal and Matron of Honour gowns fifteen minutes before the photographer arrived. Ken is the boyfriend of Martin, one of the dancers at the ballet. He is a professional and I had seen some of his work before, so I had no hesitation in recommending him. Jumping forwards I can confirm that the pictures he produced were wonderful. After he had recorded an incredible number of images, we were taken to the school in a Jaguar that my Daddy had borrowed from a friend for the occasion. Jeanette drove Mummy separately to the school. I must mention that they all looked very smart. Both Mummy and Jeanette had bought new dresses for the occasion, and Daddy wore his best suit and had a carnation in his buttonhole.

The ceremony would take place on the stage of the school hall before the assembled guests. Since it was used for assemblies, school concerts, plays and occasional film shows, the hall was set up with very good quality sound and lighting systems. One of the maintenance staff was present to control the systems, accompanied by his daughter Hannah Britton, who was in Year 11 at the school, and whom he had told me was very interested in theatre stage management. Miss Nightingale had told him about my position with the ballet and he asked me if there was any chance of Hannah doing work experience at the theatre. I'm happy to report that I did manage to get her some work there where her enthusiasm and eagerness to learn was well received, which made her even more determined that that was what she wanted to do as a career.

Like so many weddings, the number of guests had crept up to about fifty, with Kate and Ben's friends and workmates.as well as the family members. A civil celebrant had been engaged to perform the ceremony; she came highly recommended. The stage was beautifully decorated with flowers and a flowered archway for the bridal couple to stand in. At the appointed time, Ben and Jack stood on the stage with the celebrant, the guests stood, and then to a recording of Mendelssohn's 'Wedding March', Kate and her father followed by me as Matron of Honour, walked down the central aisle between the seats and up a short flight of stairs onto the stage. The lights in the hall dimmed slightly as soft spotlights picked out Kate and Ben as they stood together clasping hands. The ceremony was lovely, and I'm sure more than one tear was shed by the assembled women, me amongst them. I was so happy for them as I knew that this time it was a marriage of two people who were madly in love with each other. At the conclusion of the ceremony and after the register had been signed and witnessed, Kate and Ben walked down the steps to the floor of the hall and greeted their family and friends. We didn't use confetti – it makes such a mess to clean up.

Now the Women's Institute ladies took over, placing tables and chairs in the hall, leaving a space for dancing at the front near the stage, where the bridal table was located.. The piano was wheeled onto the stage and .an all-female quartet of pianist, vocalist, bass and drums set up and began to play as some WI ladies acting as waitresses circulated with drinks and canapés for the guests.

It's scarcely necessary for me to describe the wedding reception which followed the time-honoured routine. I must say that Jack gave an excellent Best Man speech. I've heard a few shockers, but his was one of the best. I think the fact that he, like me, is used to performing in front of a much bigger crowd that was present that day, means that he is very relaxed, even if he doesn't speak while dancing.

The meal provided by the W I ladies was excellent, but Jack and I only ate the entree, and at one point when the speeches and cake cutting was completed and dancing began, we slipped away to a room where we had stored our costumes for the surprise that Kate and Ben had arranged. When we were ready, we gave a signal to Daddy who had been waiting and when the current bracket of music for dancing was concluded, he re-entered the hall took the microphone and asked the guests to be seated.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I have a special surprise for you today. Some of you know that Ben's brother Jack and his wife Antonette, who just happens to be my daughter, are principals at the Imperial Ballet Company. By special request of Kate and Ben, they will perform for you today, and the piece they have chosen in the 'balcony pas-de-deux' from the ballet 'Romeo and Juliet, with music by Prokofiev. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Antonette and Jack.”

With that we entered the hall to applause, and the music began to play. It runs for about seven minutes, not too long for those who don't appreciate ballet, and features some spectacular lifts which showed off Jack's strength and agility as he spun around with me over his shoulders to spontaneous applause. I know the opinion some men have of male ballet dancers, and we wanted to show that whether they are straight or gay, they are still tremendous athletes. We actually kissed during it, which I always enjoy. At the conclusion we had a standing ovation and I noticed that some of the ladies were dabbing their eyes. Well, it is a very romantic piece.

At the conclusion, Daddy came onto the dance floor and thanked us both. “I should mention that Antonette and Jack are both currently performing in 'The Firebird' with Antonette in the title rôle and Jack as the Prince, if you'd like to see them dance again in a very different ballet, this time you'll have to buy tickets!” There was general laughter, but I believe that some of the guests did go to see us perform.

Before we left the hall, I had a very short speech to say. “Ladies and gentlemen, I don't suppose you've ever heard a ballerina speak before, but there's a first time for everything. Let me say how happy we were to agree to Kate and Ben's request to dance at their wedding. The balcony pas-de-deux from Romeo and Juliet is one of the most romantic in all ballet, so we thought it would be most appropriate. It also gives Jack a chance to show that all those weight-lifting sessions weren't for nothing We do wish Kate and Ben a long and happy life together. Thank you.” More applause as we left the hall to change out of our costumes.

Then we went to the kitchen to ask the ladies for our main courses which they had kept warm for us, since it's not practical to dance on a full stomach. They were all fairly elderly ladies, and one of them told us to go back to our table and she would bring in the meals, which she did a few minutes later.

“Thank you so much for the ballet,” she said quietly to me. “I haven't seen any for years and I had no idea that you were professionals. I hope you don't mind that when I heard the music start to play, I recognised it and I slipped into the hall to watch you?”

“Not at all, Mrs, err” I said.

“Harper, Esme Harper,” she said. “When my Fred was alive he took me to the ballet about twice a year. I don't think he was all that keen, but he knew that I enjoyed it so much. That's one of the things I loved about him.”

“I'm so sorry, Mrs Harper,” I said. Then I had an idea. “You may have heard my Daddy mention that Jack and I are performing in Stravinsky's 'The Firebird' at present. Would you like tickets for you and a friend to come along to a performance, my treat?”

“Oh, Mrs French, that is so kind of you. Norah, my next door neighbour would love to come. Any performance would be fine, I don't go out much nowadays,” she said, so I dived into my handbag and wrote my phone number of a piece of paper.

“Please ring me next Sunday and I'll let you know about the tickets,” I said.

After thanking me again, she went back to the kitchen and left Jack and me to our meals. Afterwards we had a chat wih Kate and Ben, and also joined in the dancing, which is very different to ballet, but I think once you are good at one type of dancing, you have no problem doing other types.

At the end of the evening, we all gathered in a circle to say goodnight to the newly-weds as they left for their honeymoon, but more on that later.

On the following Sunday I was able to tell Mrs Harper that I had organised two tickets for the following Friday evening and would leave them at the box office for her. What I didn't tell her was that they were very good seats, a few rows back in the front stalls. After discussion with Jack, I added a note inviting them to have supper with us, so I asked them to wait in the foyer after the performance while we changed.

When we came out to meet them, they were just ecstatic about the performance but initially said they couldn't possibly impose on us for supper. However, after I told them I had already reserved a table for us in a small restaurant around the corner from the theatre, they agreed to come. It was a lovely way to conclude the evening for them and it turned out that Esme Harper was a real balletomane and had even seen Dame Margot Fonteyn, the Prima Ballerina Assoluta of the Royal Ballet dance with Rudolph Nureyev.

“Oh dear!” I said in mock alarm. “I didn't realised we would be compared with the very best dancers ever!”

“Oh no, my dear, you were both excellent and I can't remember when I've enjoyed an evening at the ballet so much,” replied Esme.

This is not quite the end of the story. I was thinking that I would offer Esme and Norah some more tickets, when about two months later, a letter arrived for me care of the ballet. I shall reproduce it exactly as it was written:

Dear Miss Du Pre,

I am writing to inform you that my neighbour Esme Harper has gone to join her late husband Fred. What you did not know was that when she worked with the WI at your sister's wedding, she already knew that she had terminal cancer and not long to live but it did not stop her from keeping busy. She had a good sense of humour and said 'Why should I stop now, you're a long time dead'.

I spent quite a bit of time sitting with her in the last weeks and we talked of many things including seeing you and your husband dance at the wedding and the theatre. Esme knew it was the last ballet she would ever see which made her enjoy it all the more. She asked me to thank you once again for a magical evening, and she said to tell you that although nobody could dance better than Margot Fontaine and Rudi Nureyev, you and your hubby came a very close second.

God bless you both,

Norah Savage.

I cried when I read the letter, and even Jack had a lump in his throat.

“So you didn't know she was sick when you invited her to see the ballet?” he asked

“No, I had no idea. She looked pale but I just thought it was because she was elderly,” I replied.

A few weeks later I contacted Norah Savage to find out where Esme and Fred were buried, and I took some flowers to their grave, and I confess they were watered by my tears. I should mention that the only reason I recorded this is to say that sometimes things we do have effects on other people's lives which we have no idea about at the time we do them. Therefore it's our responsibility to always try to do good in this world.

To be continued

Next time: La Bayardère

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another belter

Christina H's picture

Well Bron you certainly excelled yourself with this episode it had love, sly planning the milk of
human kindness with the tickets to the ballet then a storm of dust erupted and my eyes were watering
at the end.

Nice job

Christina

Wonderful Wedding!

Lucy Perkins's picture

As Christina has said, that chapter really had it all.
Antonette really is a wonderful person, not only arranging work experience for young Hannah as a lightning technician and then, oh my, arranging those ballet tickets for Mrs Harper.
Norah's letter tugged hard on my heartstrings too, and I was in tears as I read it.
That aside, it really was a lovely Wedding. Beautiful bride and graceful Matron of Honour, charming Best Man, Groom who was waiting for the woman he loved to be free of an abusive husband...perfect!
Lucy

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

I Shed Tears

joannebarbarella's picture

For Esme Harper and for the wedding.

Cancer claimed my wife seven years ago and when it was clear that no amount of treatment would save her she opted for us to go on a cruise so that she could enjoy her last months rather than suffer through yet more chemo. It worked; she had fun and died six weeks later, so I can totally empathise with Esme.

And who doesn't cry at a good wedding?

Thank you

Thank you for your wonderful story. It has been a wonderful read. Thanks again. Robyn Adaire

Robyn Adaire