Carl's Summer School Uniform

Printer-friendly version

Carl's Summer School Uniform

There have been a few reports during the recent hot weather of boys, objecting to wearing heavy warm trousers and not being allowed to wear shorts, taking to wearing a skirt to school as a protest. How far could this be taken?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The last few days had been exceptionally warm, and uncomfortable. Many of the boys asked to be allowed to wear shorts, proper dress shorts, not sportswear, as they envied the comfort that the girls seemed to be enjoying in their light skirts.

A few friends were sitting with me, Carl Duggan, on the bank around the football pitch ogling a group of girls and admiring the view of their cool bare legs.

“You know what,” I said to my best friend Sam Turner,” It’s not fair. in Winter when it is cold the girls are allowed to wear trousers instead of their normal uniform skirts which are much cooler for them in the summer months, We have to wear our heavy long trousers all year round. I can’t understand why we are not allowed to wear shorts, they would be much more comfortable.”

“ It has been argued before Carl, the headmistress just quotes the school dress code at us, saying pupils are only allowed to wear plain grey or navy trousers or the uniform yellow tartan skirt” replied Sam.

“ It’s a pity that us boys are not allowed to wear skirts too, they would be much cooler and more comfortable.”

Sam thought for a while before suddenly smiling. “ From what I remember, there is nothing that says boys can’t wear the uniform skirt too, it is just expected that none of us would want to.”

“ Just for a laugh and as a protest, does anyone else fancy borrowing a skirt and wearing it tomorrow, I’m up for it if anyone else will?”

In the end, nobody else was interested, either they did not want to look stupid, were worried about how others would react to it, or had no sisters to borrow one from.

“ You are a bunch of miserable wimps,” I turned on the group, “even if none of you will join me I am going to borrow a skirt from my sister and wear it tomorrow, it might embarrass the Head into changing the rules.”

“ Good luck with that, I will believe you when I see you do it, just don’t expect us to support you” sneered one of the others as they all left.

When I got home later, iIwent to Cassie’s room, knocked on the door and went straight in to find her in a light flimsy summer dress looking cool and comfortable, whereas I was feeling hot and sweaty from my walk home from school.

“Cassie, this may sound strange but have you a spare uniform skirt I can borrow?”

“ What on earth for, you are not going weird on me are you?”

“ I just want to make a protest at school tomorrow. It is not fair that you can be comfortable in the heat, wearing a skirt, while we boys have to suffer in heavy long trousers. I want to wear a skirt to school to try to embarrass the Head to change the rules.”

“ Sounds a bit daft to me, I hope you are prepared for all the name-calling and insults that you will get. You know what happened when Iain Cummings was caught wearing panties under his trousers, he had so much bother that he had to change school and I have seen him around town, he now dresses as a girl and calls himself Iona. I wouldn’t want that to happen to you.”

“ No way, that is going to happen to me. There were always rumours about him anyway, everyone thought he was a bit gay, it was only a matter of time before it all came out. Can I borrow a skirt or not, I’m determined to go through with this?”

‘If you are so sure, help yourself, the ones at the end of the wardrobe rail don’t fit me anymore, being 2 years younger than me, you have not had your growth spurt yet so you should find one to fit you. There is no choice really of which one to go for, they are all just pleated tartan standard uniform kilt types, find one you like.”

There was a collection of different sizes and lengths that Cassie had worn as she grew taller and more shapely as she got older. After trying on three, which Cassie rejected as either too long, too short, or too tight, we found one she was happy with.

“ You do know don’t you, that there are strict rules about what we can wear under the skirt? A few years ago a couple of the senior girls were caught wearing thongs and lacy high-cut panties. the rules were changed and only plain navy or white briefs are allowed. If you are going to wear the skirt to school you need to get some of your own, I am not letting you wear mine. Put some trousers back on and we’ll go down to the market to pick up a few cheap pairs for you.”

“ I can’t go rummaging through shelves of knickers with you, what if anyone sees me?”

“Don’t be silly, they are not much different from the boys’ briefs you normally wear, and besides you will be wearing them under your skirt tomorrow. If you are going to school in a skirt I’m sure it won’t be long before someonef licks up ythe hem and sees you wearing them, so just get used to it.”

While she was browsing though the underwear on the market shelves, she kept showing some to me, asking my opinion as to whether I liked the, causing me to get some funny looks from the sales assistant. We went home with three packs of three as Cassie insisted that, unless it was to be a one-day wonder before the headmaster caved in or I got fed up of the name-calling, i would need a fresh pair every day.

“ I take it that you are only going to wear the skirt and that you do not need your hair styled or make-up or anything,” Cassie almost burst out laughing, she was really enjoying this.

“ That’s a daft idea, the whole point of this is that I am a boy protesting against stupid school dress codes. I am not trying to present myself as a girl.”

“ Pity, it would be fun to try that.”

The next morning, after showering and drying off I pulled up a pair of my new knickers, and was surprised at the softness of the material and the snug fit. They were soon followed by my shirt and tie before stepping into the skirt and positioning it around my waist. Rather than leaving my shirt outside the waist of the skirt as I normally did with my trousers, Cassie had told me to tuck it in , lift up the hem of the skirt and pull the shirt down snugly. I put on my socks and shoes and went to see Cassie to make sure I looked ok.

“ Not too bad Sis, but you can’t wear those shoes and socks, they look stupid alongside the skirt. I have some flats you can borrow if they fit you ok, put these on and let me have another look at you. Another thing, us girls think wearing a tie is stupid so we tie ours a lot shorter than the boys, more like a cravat”

Now satisfied, we went downstairs for breakfast and found Mum in the kitchen. When she saw me she nearly dropped the plate she was drying.

“ What on earth are you doing dressed like that Carl?. I suppose this is your stupid idea Cassie?”

“ No, not this time, he thought this all up himself, I have just given him a bit of help, that’s all.”

“ Tell me why you are doing this, Carl, or maybe I should call you Carla when you are dressed like that.”

“ Long trousers are far too hot in this weather, the Head will not let us wear shorts, but the rules do not say that only girls can wear skirts, so I am wearing one of Cassie’s to make a protest.”

“ I think that it is a stupid idea but, if you are determined, go ahead. I just hope that you manage to get through the day without too much bother.”

Before we left, Cassie, gave me a small shoulder bag to hold my wallet, keys, phone and such like. “You haven’t got any pockets in that skirt and if you just threw everything into your school bag it would just get lost at the bottom, this will keep it all together.”

I was beginning to lose my nerve as we approached the school gates and almost turned back, but we met Lily, a friend of Cassie’s who insisted I tell her what I was playing at. I gave her the full story before she quickly flicked up my skirt. “I see you are even wearing regulation knickers, good for you Carla, I hope it works. Come on, I will walk in with you and Cassie, it might save you from some of the neanderthals that we have here.”

I got lots of strange looks as I made my way into school and to my homeroom, and when I walked in there was a lot of laughing and shrieking and lewd comments, before my teacher came in to see what all the noise was about.

“ What is all this about Carl, I know you are a bit of the class rebel and clown, but this is going too far. Come with me now, we are going to see the Head! Class, behave yourselves, and finish off the homework you should have done last night. I will be back soon.”

She marched me along the corridors to the Head’s study and walked straight in with me.

What do you mean barging in like that?”

“ Sorry, but this is serious, Carl here has come to school wearing a skirt and it is totally disrupting the class.”

“ Ok go back to your class and leave him with me.”

“ Why, Carl?”

“It’s a protest against your stupid policy of not allowing us boys to wear shorts in the hot weather. The dress code does not stipulate that only girls can wear skirts, so I decided that I would be more comfortable if I wore one too, until you changed the rules.”

“ So this is not a one-off then, you intend to continue to dress in the girls’ uniform until I change my mind.”

“ Yes. that sums it up, I am determined to continue my protest until the code changes.”

“ I have not intention of changing the rules. at least until the governors meeting at the end of the month, so it looks like you will be dressing as a girl until then.”

“ Fine, i can live with that.”

“ In that case, I would expect to see you presenting yourself properly as a girl, but there is a lot more to it than just wearing a skirt. Go to your sister’s class and bring her back here please and be quick about it, I haven’t really got time for this nonsense.

I was not popular with Cassie’s teacher when I walked into her class, causing an outburst of noisy chatter and taking my sister away.”

“ Cassie, Carl has told me that he intends to wear a skirt until at least the end of the month. In that case he will be attending all the classes as Carla, as a girl. At the moment he looks like neither a boy nor a girl, he needs to present properly as one or the other. Wearing a skirt is not the only part of the dress code. Go home at lunchtime and sort it out, and this afternoon I want to see Carl, or if he still insists on this protest, Carla, and that is how she will be addressed by everyone, properly appropriately dressed, and with her hair styled as best you can. If she is going to do this, she has to do it properly. you know what needs to be done. Meanwhile go back to your classes for the rest of the morning.”

As we were walking back to classes, Cassie stopped me with a worried look on her face. “Are you sure that you want to do this, wearing a skirt for a protest is one thing, but being treated as a girl for the rest of the month will be a lot harder. Did you notice that she was calling you ‘Carla’ and ‘she’ and ‘her’. If you keep up with this you will have to get used to that.”

“ I’m not going to let the system win, if I have to accept that to make my point, I am totally prepared for it.”

For the rest of the morning I was the butt of a lot of jokes and lewd comments and was ‘accidentally’ pushed as I walked between classes. I was glad to leave with Cassie at lunchtime as we made our way home, and up to her room.

“ What did the head meanly ‘properly dressed’ ?”

“The rules about the skirt and the knickers are only part of the uniform code. You will have to change your shirt and tie for one of my blouses and cravats for a start.”

“That’s easy, no problem.”

“ You are not going to like this, but the rules say that all girls thirteen or over have to wear a bra, whether they have developed or not, having your boobs swinging free is considered too much of a distraction for the boys.”

“ But I don’t have breasts, what is the point of wearing a bra?”

“ Many girls your age have not fully developed breasts yet and use enhancers, small shaped packs of silicone gel, otherwise known as chicken fillets, to give them a bit of a figure, so that people do not notice their lack of growth. I needed some a few years ago before I started growing my own, I will dig them out for you.”

I will see what I can do with your hair in a minute, but first, if you want to appear normal as a girl, you need to shave your arms and legs. You are not too fuzzy, but there is too much and you need to clean up.”

“ Do I have to, the hairs are really just starting to grow, I was beginning to be quite proud of them.

“ It will be expected of you, get in the bathroom and sort yourself out.”

Realising that she would keep on at me until I did what she wanted, I soon came out of the bathroom smooth-skinned everywhere I could reach.

“Luckily, you are in desperate need of a haircut, I think if I brush it differently and fill it out a bit with my styling brush that I could make it into a fairly feminine pixie cut, sit still while I play with it.”

We arrived back at school just in time for class, and this time, unlike this morning, I did not stand out so much and most people just accepted me at first glance as another girl.

My first class of the afternoon was craft, which this term was carpentry basics where I was just about to start making a storage box for tools, but I was stopped at the doorway by my teacher.”

“ I’ve been told by the head that your schedule has changed, Carla. Please go down the corridor to the girls’ craft class with Miss Carter.

“ This is getting silly.”, I thought to myself, “ but if that is the way the head wants to play it, I’ll go along with it.”

To be continued

up
291 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Harassment

joannebarbarella's picture

If Carl is so inclined I think he could mount a case for being forced into something which is not covered in the dress code.

A case to answer for harassment

You are probably right Joanne, it seems that you can sue for everything nowadays. However, Carl was given every opportunity to back down, but he stubbornly refused and was determined to take on the system. Even his sister and mother told him he should back down. Let's just see how it all goes.

Gill xx

Bucking the system

BarbieLee's picture

There are unwritten rules everyone in society is not only expected to conform to but woe to those who don't. At a young age Carl has blundered straight into some of those rules. He-she will either be broken and taught to join the collective or will grow into a great scientist, leader, and join the ranks of greats who thought and worked outside the box.
Great beginning to a story which may go many different ways.
Hugs Gillian, the usual exceptional story telling I have come to expect of your talents.
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Bucking the system

It takes someone with stubborn determination to think outside the box sometimes, Freethinkers are often criticised and derided as fantasists. Carl is ploughing his own furrow here.

This is not to be a long novel, only a six chapter story, but will be wide open for a sequel if it goes well.

Many thanks for the lovely comments.

Gill xx

If it doesn't say in the

If it doesn't say in the rules that skirts are specifically for girls I don't see how the head has a leg to stand on in forcing him to wear all of the things the girls are required to wear since he is a boy. She's just opening herself up to be sued.

The rules

Regardless of the legal niceties and even the school dress code rules Carl was asked "do you intend to continue to dress in the girls’ uniform until I change my mind.”, to which he replied“ Yes. that sums it up, I am determined to continue my protest until the code changes.”

The dress code says girls over 13 have to wear a bra,

Carl was asked " so it looks like you will be dressing as a girl until then.” to which he replied. " Fine, I can live with that."

I am not a lawyer, but it seems that he agreed to comply with the girls' dress code. The phrase "hoist with his own petard" springs to mind as a defence by the school.

Gill xx

If then...

Jamie Lee's picture

Without reading the dress code for girls, it's not possible to say if there is an 'if then' statement pertaining to wearing a skirt.

If it says when skirts are worn then 'these' other items must be worn, Carl is out of luck. And yet, when it pertains to a bra, if it specifically says 'girl will' wear a bra, then Carl has a case for being forced to wear something because he is not a girl.

Nonsense? The headmistress called what Carl is doing nonsense? Compassion isn't part of her makeup.

Instead of dismissing it as nonsense she should have set Carl down and explained about asking the governors at the end of the month meeting. And asking him to be patient.

Others have feelings too.

Nonsense

We all have experience of people in authority standing on ceremony and being pedantic and dismissive to anyone who challenges them. As far as the Head is concerned Carl is being cheeky and deserves to be put in his place.

Gill xx

Please go to the girls craft class with Miss Carter

Lucy Perkins's picture

..as a child that would have been music to my ears..sitting in a nice warm classroom learning useful skills like how to use a sewing machine ( I had to teach myself that) and how to cook (ditto) rather than standing up at a greasy bench, filing a piece of metal for an hour and a half.
I suspect that Carl won't enjoy the experience as much as I would have done, but goodness he is stubborn, and I can see him learning a lot.
A lovely start to a story, Gill, as always. Did I imagine it, or did you really say yellow tartan skirts for the Uniform? That's some uniform! Ours were just plain grey, so not as fun to wear.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Go to the girls' craft class

Carl is very determined that he is not going to fail in his protest and give the Head the satisfaction of beating him. He seems willing to try anything if it will help his cause.

One of our local schools uses the Clan Macleod of Lewis of Lewis tartan which is primarily yellow and always looks bright and fresh https://www.scotclans.com/scottish-clans/clan-macleod-of-lew...

Gill xx

I Wonder...

...whether Iona is going to figure in the story.

Eric

What?!

What in the world time period is this, that poor girl. Iona deserves better. I'm glad she got away from these backward hillbilly hicks. I hope she found a nice progressive school where she can blossom as the girl she is ♥

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Iona deserves better.

Unfortunately, even in this day and age, where institutional policy statements about diversity and equality are ten-a-penny, there is still a strong undercurrent of personal prejudice by many on the basis of racial, cultural sexuality and gender issues. It is wrong but it is a fact of life. Please enjoy the main themes of the story and do net get too carried away with side issues.

Gill xx

Technically he would not be

KateElizabethSuhr13's picture

Technically he would not be required to dress as female. If the skirt in the rule book did not specify as girls only then he could say he isn't required to dress as a girl because no where does the rulebook say if wearing a skirt you are dressing as a girl and have to fully dress as a girl.