The Bottle at the Back of the Fridge

Printer-friendly version

The Bottle at the Back of the Fridge
Copyright 2021 by Heather Rose Brown

This is a short vignette about a parent who's coping with changes in family relationships while transitioning, and struggling to not give into easing the pain of loss in an unhealthy way. While there's a bit of sadness in this story, there's also hope as well. I hope you enjoy it.

=-=-=

I leaned against the edge of the sink, and studied the chilled bottle in my hand. A drop of condensation slid down the dark brown glass. I could almost smell the earthy hops when I imagined popping off the cap.

I stretched out my arm, and said, "Today ... I choose to not drink from this b--"

My grip slipped when someone knocked at the door. I caught the bottle before it shattered, shoved it into the back of the fridge, and tossed the opener at the counter. I peeked out the window, then covered my mouth to stop a screech of surprise.

I dragged my fingers through my bed hair, then retied the sash of my robe. My slippers slapped against my heels as I ran the ten feet to the other end of the apartment. A few snowflakes drifted across the threshold when I opened the door.

"Peter!" I said while wrapping my robe more tightly against the cold. "It's so nice to see you!"

He gave me a small smile, then said, "Hey Willa."

There used to be a time when he'd call me Dad. Willa was definitely better, but not quite what I'd always wished he'd call me.

I swallowed my heartache, smiled back, and stepped out of the doorway. "Come on in, before you freeze to death."

While he stomped muddy snow off his boots, I said, "Does your mother know you're here early?"

Peter frowned as he walked through the doorway. "I'm twelve years old."

"Not until tomorrow," I said as I closed the door.

"Whatever," he said while rolling his eyes. "I'm still old enough to not be asking permission for every tiny thing."

I did my best to not giggle at the way my little boy squared his shoulders, and jutted out his chin. "Would you like some hot cocoa, or coffee, or ..." I thought about the contents of my fridge, ignored the one drinkable item, and said, "... water?"

"Nah," he said as he held up a hand. "I'll only be here a minute. I just wanted to let you know, Dan got here a day early, and has to leave first thing tomorrow, so ..."

My heart dropped into my stomach. "You won't be able to come over this afternoon?"

Peter lowered his head and said, "Ma wants me to get to know him better."

"Listen," I said while lifting his chin, "it's okay to like him."

"But he's not--"

"Shhh," I said as I pressed a finger to his lips. "Don't worry about what he is or isn't. Just have a wonderful birthday with him and your mother."

He chewed on his bottom lip, then said, "Speaking of my birthday ..."

I thought of the wrapped package under my bed, and said, "Oh! Wait right here."

He grabbed my arm as I turned, then said, "Could it wait for tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?"

"On my real birthday."

"How can I give it to you then?"

"I could ... y'know ... come over."

"You want to spend your birthday ... with me?" I gasped when he nodded, then said, "Nothing could make me happier!"

I gasped again when he hugged me. It took me a second before I thought to hug back. He grinned at me when he let go, then opened the door and said, "See you tomorrow ... Mom."

When the door closed, I spent a long time staring at it. Eventually, I lifted my jaw from the floor, then shuffled over to the fridge. I could barely see through my tears when I pulled at the handle. I groped around the back of the fridge until I felt a cool, familiar shape.

I grabbed the opener from the counter, then pried the cap off the bottle in my hand. The sweet, tantalizing aroma called to me. For a moment, I considered taking a final, goodbye sip.

Just one.

"No," I whispered as I wiped my cheeks with the fuzzy sleeve of my robe.

The bottle glugged when I tilted it. Amber liquid poured into the sink, and gurgled down the drain. I waited for the last drop to fall. The bottle made a hollow clink when I placed it on the counter. I looked out the window, and watched a distant figure trudging through a snow flurry.

I took in a deep breath, then said in a firm, clear voice, "Today ... I choose ... my son."

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very well done

thank you for sharing it

DogSig.png

Thank you!

I always look forward to your comments on my stories. :)

::sob::

RobertaME's picture

I wasn't expecting "Mom"! That's what my boys call me!

Heartrending, (I hate when parents tell their kids "He's not going to replace your father." and such, then try and get them to accept them as a new parent... like that isn't replacing the old one?) but at the same time, beautiful! Now my only problem is to stop crying so I can go sort the laundry!

Hugs!

*hugging tight*

Sorry this story made you cry. I didn't have anyone say, "He's not going to replace your father," when my parents broke up, but I was told, "I don't want you to hate your father, but ..." and then I was told something about my father. I don't know what I would have done if my parents had tried to get me to accept someone new as a parent. I'm glad you were okay with this story, even though it was sad.

It wasn't sad

RobertaME's picture

I wasn't crying in sadness! I was crying because it was a beautiful moment and I'm a crazy lady whose boys are getting close to moving out (probably by the end of the year) and is suffering from severe "empty nest" syndrome!

So you didn't make me cry in sadness... you made me cry in a thousand happy memories!

When my parents divorced, I blamed myself. I was a 'problem' and thought that it was the stress of having to deal with 'the effeminate boy' that broke them up. What can I say? I was ten! (it didn't help that my sister agreed with me at the time... but she took it back later, so...) Anyway, when she started dating this guy with two kids of his own, she handed me that line of "He's not going to replace your father.", then as soon as they were married she turned right around and started pushing me to call him 'Dad', that I had to obey his every word, and visitation with Daddy dropped to two weekends a month, timed so that he had Guard Drill on one of them every time so he couldn't take us.

Most unfortunately though, he was a bully who was determined to make a man out of me using his belt. (this was back when spanking with a belt was perfectly legal... my Great Aunt even had a 1"x1" board with all the kids' names written on it for the task) The very idea that I would call a person like him 'Dad' and that he could replace the man who is my father, a man who still to this day nearly four decades later has never even dated another woman because he never stopped loving my mother, is repugnant.

Sorry. I just react very negatively anytime I hear words like, "[Mom] wants me to get to know him better." Every time I'm right back to being 11 again and suffering under that tyrant's iron thumb again. (not your fault... it's just the way my memory works)

So don't be sorry, OK? You should never be sorry for what you write in a story! No one made me read it, and it was much more uplifting than it was depressing... so... net positive!

Hugs!

*hugging back*

I'm glad that it wasn't my story that had made you sad. *hugging some more*

Shows the angst

that many of us go through on a daily basis.
Thanks for posting this.

Samantha

The angst ...

... related to being transgender can be tough. I'm not sure how I would have handled things, if I had ever wound up being a parent too. From what I've heard from others, it can be rewarding, but there can be some really serious issues too.

Today ... I choose ... my son."

Lucy Perkins's picture

That is just beautiful.
Thank you.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Thank you!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this story! :)

This was nice

Erisian's picture

This was very nice, thanks for posting it! :)

Yaaaay!

I'm so glad you liked my story! :D

Very sweet!

Rose's picture

Very, very sweet!

I enjoyed this a lot!

Thanks!

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Thank you!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

{{{hugging back}}}

Choices, choices, which one?

Thank you for this beautiful piece of introspection. Loved that our heroine made the right choice. I'm sure I'm not alone in overusing that legal drug called alcohol because it dulls the pain of feelings we have inside.
The "Mom" at the end really makes the heart melt in this story. So well done.

>>> Kay

Sometimes ...

... making the right choice can be hard. For Willa, choosing not to numb the pain she was going through was a hard choice, but choosing to be there for her son was easy. I'm really glad you enjoyed this story! :)

Still brings a tear to the eye

erin's picture

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I hope ...

... this story didn't make you sad. Even though it can be rough for everyone when parents divorce, I hope there's enough of a promise of happiness in the future to make you smile as well.

{{{hugs}}}

Heather :)