Mother and Daughter, part 18

Printer-friendly version

“It’s okay to be a little nervous,” the nurse said as Janet fidgeted in her bed, trying to get comfortable. “The surgeons know what they’re doing, and they’ve done it countless times already. You’ll be back up on your feet before you know it.”

“Yeah, I know,” Janet said, taking several deep breaths to try to steady her nerves. “And God knows it’s not like I haven’t dreamed about this every day of my life since- heh, probably since before you were born!”

“Well, I was born in 1994, so maybe,” the nurse said, making Janet chuckle.

“Thanks for making me feel old AND nervous!” the 45-year-old woman said. “I can guarantee you that yes, I have been dreaming about this since before 1994.”

“Well, in a few hours, you won’t need to dream anymore!” the nurse said with a warm smile. “Just relax, get comfortable, the anaesthetist will be here in a bit. Though I think you have some visitors first!”

Janet squeaked excitedly as the nurse opened the door to her private room to reveal the faces of four young women- young women that had become parts of her life that Janet simply couldn't live without. Only one of them was her biological child, but the other three girls were almost as important to Janet- not the least because while Lindsay may have viewed her as her father, the other three girls viewed her as a mother.

“Hi girls!” Janet said with a happy giggle as the four teenagers each gave her a gentle hug, before dropping carrier bags of cards and presents on her nightstand. “Oh- you really shouldn’t have gone to so much trouble, really!”

“Oh, like we weren’t going to make a fuss?” Ellie snorted, straightening her short, tight skirt as she sat down at Janet’s bedside. “Especially after all you’ve done for all of us.”

“Well- thanks,” Janet chuckled. “Though I haven’t actually gone in for the operation yet, heh.”

“Yeah, but still, though,” Ellie said, before taking a deep breath to calm her nerves. “Are you- are you nervous?”

“…A little,” Janet confessed. “But I’ve got the best doctors looking after me, they’ve done the procedure countless times- I’ll be fine, really. So will you two, when it’s your turn.” Janet smiled warmly as Ellie and Jade both blushed.

“…I’m still a LONG way away from that,” Ellie mumbled.

“I’m not even eighteen yet,” Jade chuckled. “Hell, I’m not even SEVENteen yet.”

“But you will be before you know it,” Janet said. “And I’ll be on hand to support you- both of you- with anything you need.” Janet’s smile widened as the two sisters’ eyes began to well up.

“Yeah, well,” Ellie chuckled emotionally. “That’s just more of a reason for us to spoil you, isn’t it?”

“Well- okay, fine if you insist,” Janet chuckled. “And if you also insist on spending your hard-earned summer holidays stuck in a room with a middle-aged woman, too!”

“Oh, we have plans today, don’t worry about that!” Lindsay chuckled. “But we were never going to not check in on you, you know? And yes, I’ll stop in on you every day while you’re in here.”

“Oh- really, that isn’t necessary,” Janet said. “I know I said earlier that you'd be helping me a lot when I get home, but I do still want you to enjoy your summer! It’s the first summer that you’re an adult, for god’s sake, you should enjoy yourself.”

“And like I said, I intend to,” Lindsay retorted. “But it’s not like I’m going to neglect you, I mean-“ Lindsay paused as she reached into Janet’s gift basket and handed her a fancy red envelope. “You are my dad.”

Janet smiled and blinked back tears as she looked at the envelope, and the simple word written on the front- ‘Dad’. Janet had yearned her whole life to be a woman, to shed herself of everything male and be only the woman she truly was on the inside, but the one aspect of masculinity she couldn’t, and wouldn’t let go of was fatherhood. All throughout her years as ‘John’, the biggest source of happiness that she was able to rely on was the love shown to her by her son and daughter. When Ethan and Lindsay had originally rejected Janet, it had devastated her to the point that she longer wished to be alive, and even though Janet eventually regained their love, the impact of the initial rejection still lingered in her mind. However, she knew that no matter what, she would always be their father, and no one could take that away from her- and the card was written proof of that.

“Thank you,” Janet whispered as she carefully opened the envelope and studied the card within. On the front was a drawing of a slender woman dressed in an elegant skirt suit, not unlike the suits that Janet wore to work every day. And at the top was a simple message- 'get well soon dad'. “It’s beautiful, thank you.” Janet beamed with pride as she placed the card on her nightstand, trying her hardest not to giggle as her daughter wiped a tear from her eye.

“It’s nothing, really,” Lindsay mumbled.

“No, it’s definitely something,” Janet retorted, giggling as her daughter rolled her eyes. “Though I’m guessing by the design that it was a custom-made thing?”

“Well- yeah,” Lindsay mumbled, fidgeting uncomfortably. “Doubt even Hallmark covers this- well, ‘this’, heh.”

“Maybe they should start,” Janet said with a shrug that made all of her young friends smile, even though inside, she hoped that any father who transitioned wouldn't have as difficult a time as she did.

“It’d be nice to think,” Sade said. “I remember last year on Valentine’s Day, I was still going out with Leanne, and you wouldn’t believe the trouble I had finding a card with two girls on it. And- umm, well, I don’t, you know, mean this disrespectfully, but- umm, but-“

“But lesbian relationships are more commonplace than fathers who have a sex change?” Janet asked, smiling sympathetically as Sade nodded. “It’s okay, I can’t deny that’s true, heh. Though I am now eager to see what other cards you’ve got me!” Janet beamed excitedly as she reached back into the bag and withdrew another card.

“Mine’s kinda generic, I’m afraid,” Jade said with a nervous giggle as Janet carefully opened the envelope that had her handwriting on it.

“Doesn’t make it any less beautiful,” Janet replied with a smile as she placed the card bearing the image of a basket of flowers next to Lindsay’s. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Jade mumbled bashfully as she blushed.

"Yours is beautiful too, Sade," Janet said as she opened the card- a plain pink card with the words 'get well soon' written on the front in bold purple text. "Just one left, heh!"

Janet felt herself freeze as a wave of emotions flooded her as she pulled Ellie’s card out of her bag. The envelope was lilac, and as plain as the other three she had opened, but on the front was a three-letter word that brought tears to her eyes- ‘Mum’.

Despite the many, many challenges she had had to endure, Janet considered herself uniquely privileged in her life to have been both a father to Ethan and Lindsay and a mother to Ellie. When Janet and Ellie had been at their lowest, when neither of them had anyone to turn to, they found in each other not just friendship, but a genuine feeling of family, and of acceptance. Both women knew that no matter how many people would try to put them down, they would always have a true supporter in each other. Janet had come to see and love Ellie as though she were her own daughter, and if Janet ever needed any proof that Ellie felt the same way, it was written on the envelope in black and white.

“Thank you, thank you so much!” Janet whispered emotionally as she tore open the envelope and examined the card. It was a plain card with the image of a middle-aged woman on the front, but the front of the card meant nothing to Janet when compared to the three-letter word on the envelope. ”Really, you don’t know just how much this means to me, all of it- not just the card, but you being here right now- everything.” Janet blinked back tears as the four young women all blushed and nodded.

“Are- are you expecting any other visitors today?” Ellie asked, frowning as Janet started fidgeting uncomfortably- a sure sign that she wasn't going to like the older woman's answer to that particular question.

“I think my old friends from when I worked as Tesco will be dropping by,” Janet replied, her voice trailing off into a mumble. “And, umm, and Ethan…”

“Okay,” Ellie whispered, desperately trying to control her own emotions as Janet said the name of her son. While she didn’t begrudge Janet the right to speak to her son, the mere mention of his name, the memory of what he did to her made Ellie shudder. Even though Janet had been able to convince her of his remorse for what he had done, the psychological and physical scars of his attack were still fresh for Ellie. However, the young woman was prepared to make the effort to be happy for Janet repairing her relationship with her son- it was the least she could do after all the help and love Janet had shown her over the years.

For her part, Janet could easily understand Ellie’s hatred of Ethan. Under ordinary circumstances, what he did to her would be unforgivable. However, the circumstances were far from ordinary. As far as Janet was concerned, both Ellie and Ethan were her children, despite the unusual circumstances of the former and the initial rejection of the latter. She was not prepared to simply condemn and discard Ethan the way she believed Ellie wanted her to. And while she disapproved of Lindsay’s actions in trying to reunite both herself and Ellie with Ethan, ultimately Janet had to grudgingly admit that without it, she'd likely never have spoken to her son again.

“He won’t be here until after lunch,” Janet explained, smiling sympathetically at the look of relief on Ellie’s face. “Which is where you should all be heading soon. Well, those of you who got up before 11am, anyway!” Janet smirked as the four teenagers all blushed, confirming her suspicions about their sleeping patterns. “It’s okay, I remember being your age. Well, just about, heh! I definitely remember the fun, though. So, let me repeat myself one final time: Have. Fun. Today. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.”

“Well- okay,” Lindsay said, before leaning in to give her father another tight, loving hug.

“And for what it’s worth,” Janet continued, “I think all four of you will make great mothers someday. And don’t tell me that you can’t be mothers because of- well, ‘because’. All you need to be a great mother is to be a woman with love in her heart. And you four all have that in spades.” And you above everyone else taught me what it means to be a mother, Ellie, Janet thought to herself as her young friends all smiled appreciatively.

The four young women stayed with Janet for another half an hour, catching her up on their lives and their plans for the summer break before leaving for lunch. After the four girls had left, Janet relaxed back onto her bed, musing on how blessed she was to have such a large family- and not just a biological family, but a family of choice. What she was most happy about, though, was that the four young women all had each other to rely on whenever they needed it.

Even though Janet had only known Sade for a few months, she could immediately tell that she was a girl who had a strong sense of morality and believed in loyalty to her friends above all else. Like Ellie, she hadn’t been shown any loyalty from her family after she came out, but like Ellie, she had made true friends- her own family of choice, just as the four girls had been for Janet. Ellie and Sade had quickly become close friends, if not best friends, and Janet knew it was a friendship that would endure long after both girls graduated from university. Janet had initially been concerned when Ellie had moved out of her house- just as any parent would be when their child first chooses to live independently- but Janet was confident that Ellie couldn't have found a better flatmate than Sade.

Janet knew, though, that no matter how close Ellie and Sade became, it would pale into insignificance compared to the bond Ellie shared with her younger sister. Janet had noticed how, even before she came out, Jade seemed to hang on Ellie’s every word like a puppy, and when Jade did come out, it hadn’t come as a total surprise to Janet. Janet was even less surprised by how close the two sisters quickly became after both were allowed to live their lives the way they wanted, especially after they were both finally accepted by their parents. Sure, they still fell out from time to time, as all siblings do- especially teenagers. Janet knew, though, that Jade couldn’t have asked for a better older sister than Ellie, and Ellie couldn’t have wished for a better younger sister than Jade.

Although, with that being said, Janet was forced to acknowledge the overwhelmingly positive effect that Lindsay had had on Ellie’s life, and vice versa. Sure, they argued from time to time, and Lindsay’s actions concerning her brother had threatened to permanently end the friendship, but the bond they had had proved more than strong enough to overcome it, like true friends- or rather, like true sisters. Janet had always secretly wished that Lindsay had had a younger sister, and while the wish didn’t come true in the strictest sense of the word, Janet considered the bond between Ellie and Lindsay to be her wish granted. Janet smiled with pride as she relaxed back onto her bed, thinking about how lucky she was to have two daughters such as Ellie and Lindsay.

Janet’s rest was interrupted half an hour later when a knock came from her door, followed by a young man poking his head into the room.

“H- hi,” the young man said nervously. “Can- can I come in?”

“Of course you can,” Janet replied with a warm smile. “Please, sit down, Ethan.”

“Thanks,” the twenty-year-old man said, sitting down in the seat that had recently been vacated by Ellie while trying his hardest not to fidget. “How- how are you, umm… Dad?” Janet tried her hardest to keep her smile on her face as her son tripped over his words. She knew how much of a struggle it was to see her as his father- or rather, to see his father as the woman she had become. However, like Lindsay had done several months earlier, Ethan was at least making the effort, and Janet was determined to make sure her son knew how much she appreciated it- and how much she appreciated him.

“I’m fine, really,” Janet replied. “My operation isn’t until this evening; I’m just resting up on doctor’s orders.”

“Okay,” Ethan whispered.

“Does- does your mother know you’re here?” Janet asked, also fidgeting uncomfortably.

“…Yeah,” Ethan replied. “She- she wasn’t exactly happy, but, well, she kinda understood, you know?”

“Yeah,” Janet whispered. “Ethan, I- I get that this is uncomfortable for you. Not just, well, the operation, but- you have to understand that I never wanted to force you to choose between me and your mother, and I have to believe that your mother didn’t want that either.”

“I know,” Ethan mumbled. “She kinda said the same thing, like, now that I’m an adult, well, yeah.”

“Well, she is right, you are your own man,” Janet said, hesitating slightly as she chose her words. “And as such, you can make your own choices. And while those choices haven’t always been good ones, they are yours to make nonetheless, and neither your mother nor I can change that.”

“Yeah,” Ethan mumbled.

“Though on a personal note,” Janet continued, “I am glad that you’ve chosen to speak to me again.”

“Yeah, me too,” Ethan chuckled quietly. “I- I did miss you, dad. I really did but I- I kinda get it, now. I understand why you had to do what you did.”

“If I had any say in the matter, I-“ Janet said, before pausing and sighing. “…I dunno. It’s hard to describe for people who don’t, well, ‘share’ this experience, but it- it’s kinda like having a giant thorn in your side all your life, and when you can finally be who you really are inside, the thorn is removed and- well, yeah.”

“You’re no longer in pain?” Ethan asked.

“Not that kind of pain, not anymore,” Janet replied. “But it was like, whatever I did, I was doomed to lose. If I kept being ‘John’, that thorn would never go away. Ever. But finally becoming the real me cost me my family, which was almost as bad.”

“Is that why you- you, umm, you did what you did?” Ethan asked, sending a shiver down Janet's spine.

As unbearable as the pain of living life as 'John' had become, the pain of losing her family had been just as bad for Janet. And just like the pain of living life as 'John', it was a pain Janet believed would never go away- at least, not until she herself did. Whilst she had immediately regretted her attempt on her own life, in the brief seconds before she dialled 999, Janet had wondered whether Ethan- and, for that matter Lindsay- would have preferred having a dead father to a transgender father- or whether or not they'd even have cared if she'd died.

“Don’t- don’t worry about that,” Janet said. “Nothing like THAT will ever happen again. Not while I have you and Lindsay, and not while I can be the person I really am.”

“Yeah,” Ethan whispered.

“I know it must be difficult,” Janet said softly. “For a boy to lo- well, to not have his father around anymore. But just because my- well, circumstances have changed, it doesn’t make you any less my son, and it certainly doesn’t mean I love you any less.”

“Thanks,” Ethan mumbled, his cheeks starting to flush with embarrassment. “I, um, I- I lo-“

“I know,” Janet interrupted, sparing the young man’s blushes. “Do you have anything planned for today, or for the weekend?”

“Not really,” Ethan shrugged. “Just work, a bit of pre-reading for my Open University course, that’s it.”

“What, you’re not hanging out with your friends at any point?” Janet teased. “It’s the middle of summer and a weekend, surely you have more planned?”

“Yeah, well, I might do if I had any friends,” Ethan sighed. “What I- well, what happened with Ellie, it- most of my friends kinda didn’t want anything to do with me anymore, heh. And those that did, well, I- I didn’t really want anything to do with them. So I’ve sort-of, you know, been keeping to myself, if I need to chat to someone I can always talk to Lindsay, but because she hangs out with Ellie a lot- well, yeah.”

“Yeah,” Janet said. “And I know I should be sympathetic, but- well…”

“I know, I only have myself to blame,” Ethan said with a long sigh. “I’m reminded of that every second of every day. I mean, I’d had a lot of beers when I- well, when I did what I did, but I still remember it clearly, and I- if I could go back in time and undo it, I would in a heartbeat. Not just because of what happened to me, but- ugh. I- and I’m just, you know, being sincere here, I’m not trying to- umm…”

“Go on,” Janet said softly.

“I really did think Ellie was cute,” Ethan confessed. “I mean, before she told me- well, what she told me, I really could’ve seen myself getting together with her. And if I did, I’d have reconnected with you, and- ugh. It’s stupid, fantasizing about what could’ve been.”

“Not if it helps you learn from your mistakes,” Janet said. “That’s about as far from stupid as it’s possible to get.”

“Thanks,” Ethan mumbled, before grimacing and staring at his shoes. “I, umm, I- I have something I want to tell you.”

“Okay…?” Janet asked.

“Last week, I- I bought a dress,” Ethan confessed. “Off of Amazon, I had it shipped to one of those locker things so I could pick it up without mum noticing, then I, you know, took it home, tried it on…” Janet bit her lip as Ethan’s voice trailed off, his cheeks burning bright red with shame.

“Take your time,” Janet said softly, trying desperately to keep her emotions under control as she could tell that her son was close to tears.

“I- I just wanted to see what it was like,” Ethan said. “Why- why you liked it so much.”

“And… Did you- did you like it?” Janet asked hesitantly, conscious about not further disturbing the boy’s emotions.

“…Not really,” Ethan confessed. Janet allowed herself a moment’s disappointment- a tiny part of her had hoped that maybe her son could have experienced the same feeling she had of finally becoming their own person, what she'd heard people refer to as 'gender euphoria'. However, she quickly realised that regardless of her feelings, Ethan had to be his own person- and if that meant he was cisgender, then so be it. Janet would love him nonetheless. “It was just, you know, like a longer t-shirt. The fabric was softer, but- ugh, I dunno. I thought that maybe, if I wore the clothes, I- I’d maybe understand you a little better, you know?”

“You don’t need to wear a dress to understand better,” Janet confessed. “It- it’s just clothes, you’re not wrong when you say a dress is just like a longer t-shirt.”

“…Then why do you like wearing them so much?” Ethan asked.

“Because they’re an external representation of who I am inside,” Janet replied as she mused on how she wasn't being entirely truthful. Janet remembered vividly the first time that she'd had an inkling of who she truly was- it was the early 1980s and she was at primary school, playing with her friends in her regulation shirt, jumper and trousers and wishing that she could be one of the girls with their stiff pleated skirts, knee-length socks or cardigans. Janet would've given anything to be able to wear a skirt to school, and even as she grew older and began her transition, the mere act of stepping into a skirt continued to excite her. However, as she came to terms with why the clothes excited her so much, she began to realise that she didn't need them to be who she truly was on the inside- but that didn't mean she was going to give them up.

“I mean," Janet continued, "sure, there are lots of women who don’t wear dresses or skirts, and- well, I could transition and still wear the same clothes I wore before, never touch a scrap of make-up, but- but that wouldn’t be who I really am. I don’t want to hide, I want the world to know that this is who I really am. I suppose it’s easier to get the message across wearing a dress than a pair of trousers, heh.”

“But- but what about the people who say that, you know, you- you can never be a ‘real’ woman?” Ethan asked.

“All I have to do is say ‘yes I can’ one more time than they say ‘no you can’t’,” Janet replied with a defiant smile.

“…You’re a lot braver than I am,” Ethan mumbled. “heh, when I was growing up, you- you used to be my hero, you know? Then- well…”

“Yeah,” Janet whispered.

“But now that- now that I, well, know,” Ethan said, “you- you’re pretty much my hero again.” Despite her best efforts, tears began to trickle down Janet’s cheeks as she opened her arms for a hug that her son was only too happy to give.

Ethan left the hospital a short while later, but not before wordlessly reassuring Janet that no matter what, she was still his father. Sure, she might not have been as much of a role model, or even 'hero' as she was before, but she was the boy's father nonetheless, and that was more than enough for her.

Eventually, morning made way for afternoon, though that didn’t mean that Janet’s day was going to get any quieter, as was proved when yet another knock came from her door. The sound of loud chatter coming from behind the door made Janet smile, as she knew it could only be one person, but it was a different sound that made Janet smile the widest- the sound of the gurgling, sleeping baby in the stroller that was pushed by the taller and younger of her two friends from her former place of work.

“Hi you two- sorry, you three, hehe!” Janet said with a giggle as her latest guests entered the room.

“Hi,” Meredith replied cautiously. “We’re not intruding, are we? Only the doctor said that you needed to rest so we couldn’t stay long, but she said we could go in and talk to you if we wanted to, but-“

“It’s okay, come in, please!” Janet chuckled. “Especially you, little man!”

“Heh,” Shannon chuckled tiredly as she positioned her stroller next to her seat and gently stroked her days-old son’s head. “How he’s still sleeping I have no idea, but I’m not complaining! If only he could do this during the night, heh.”

“I’m sure he will,” Janet reassured the new parent. “After several months, anyway!” Janet giggled as Shannon sighed and shook her head, before letting out a tired giggle of her own.

“I’m sure it’ll be worth it,” the blonde woman said.

“Take it from someone with experience,” Janet said reassuringly. “It definitely will, hehe! And… I hope the same can be said for me, heh.”

“Well, you wouldn’t be here if you weren’t certain, would you?” Meredith asked. Janet paused as she waited for her motormouthed friend to continue, before giggling as the two women stared at her expectantly.

“…No, no I wouldn’t,” Janet chuckled. “But it is going to be a big change, a lot of getting used to- a lot of recovery time, too. But it’s something I’ve dreamed about for literally as long as I can remember. It’s weird to think that this dream is actually about to come true, heh.”

“Well, no one can say you haven’t worked hard for it,” Meredith said. “Hopefully once everything is, you know, done, you won’t, you know, have the same kind of, like, difficulties that you had before, I mean, you won’t be as, you know, targeted, if that’s the right word…”

“I- I don’t think that’s ever not going to happen,” Janet sighed. “I mean, there’s only so much ‘reshaping’ the surgeons can do. And you won’t even be able to tell externally, I mean, it’s not like I went around everywhere naked before, right?”

“Well, I suppose,” Meredith replied. “but- if, you know, you don’t mind me asking and all that, but- umm, why did- why-“

“Why would I want to have it done if not to ‘shove in people’s faces’?” Janet asked, smirking as her friend nodded. “I’m having it done for me, just for me. Hell, I’m 45, odds are no one else will even, well, ‘see it in context’ if that makes any sense. It’s not like I’m a catch, heh.”

“Don’t say that!” Shannon chastised her older friend. “You’re a great friend, you’re kind, you’re supportive, you're generous… I reckon you’d make a great wife to someone. God knows- ugh, this’ll sound silly…”

“No, go on,” Janet said. “I won’t be offended, I promise.”

“You- you’re kinda my role model,” Shannon mumbled. “I mean, for being a mother. Like, the way you looked after Ellie, under difficult circumstances… not many people could have done that.”

“Yeah, well,” Janet replied, her eyes welling up yet again. “Ellie was easier than a new-born as she was a teenager. The trouble was getting her to wake up, not getting her to fall asleep!”

“Yeah, but still, though,” Shannon said. “It’s a lot of responsibility, surely?”

“…Yes and no,” Janet replied with a smile. “Ellie, she- she was as much a help to me as I was to her. Maybe even more so. God knows where I’d be now if it wasn’t for her, heh.”

“Well, I suppose if she was sixteen, she would be able to help out a lot around the house,” Meredith mused.

“Yeah, but- that’s not what I’m referring to,” Janet said. “Ellie helped me out of a really, really dark place without even realising she was doing it. Just by being there, on the same path as me... You don't know the value of simply knowing that you're not alone. Ellie did more for me than she'll ever know. As did the two of you, whether you know it or not.”

“Well- thanks, and you’re welcome, I suppose,” Meredith mumbled bashfully.

“It really hasn’t been the same without you at work,” Shannon said with a sad chuckle, before flinching as her friend turned to her with an incredulous look on her face.

“Imagine how I’m gonna feel with you on maternity leave for another nine months!” Meredith retorted, before chuckling. “Heh, though it’s not like I can blame you. Either of you, really, with your new families…”

“You will find someone, honestly,” Janet said with a reassuring smile. “If you want a family, I have a feeling the world will make it happen somehow!”

“Yeah, well, the world hasn’t for the first thirty-eight years of my life,” Meredith snorted, before chuckling tiredly again. “But it’s okay. I’ve got my sister and her kids. And I’ve got, you know, a family of choice, right? And that’s always better, ‘cause I’ve had boyfriends before, but I didn’t, you know ‘love’ any of them the way I’d, you know, love a best friend, like your friends, the Angels, ‘cause I look at Jamie-Lee Burke and Charlotte Hutchinson and the friendship they have, and even though they’re both married, you can tell that they both absolutely couldn’t live without each other, and- well, I- I kinda feel the same way about you guys. I- I genuinely love you both.”

“…I feel the same way,” Janet whispered softly.

“So do I,” Shannon said, wiping a solitary tear from her eye. “In fact, that- umm, Janet, if you- I-“

“It’s okay, Shannon,” Janet reassured her emotional friend. “Whatever it is you want to tell me, you can just say it, you know you can.”

“Would you- would you agree to be godmother for him?” Shannon asked, making Janet’s jaw drop. “If- if you wouldn’t mind, of course…”

“Of course I wouldn’t mind!” Janet squeaked excitedly. “I would truly be honoured to be his godmother. Assuming, of course, your church agrees to the whole ‘mother’ part when it comes to me, heh.”

“I don’t see why they shouldn’t,” Shannon retorted. “I mean, like I just said, I do, right?”

“…Thank you,” Janet whispered. “Again. For- for everything. God knows how I’d have got through life at the supermarket without you, heh!”

“I’ve a feeling you’d have been okay,” Shannon chuckled. “Oh, and by the way, Kelly sends her love too, she’s not able to come herself as she’s getting ready for the big move.”

“Move?” Janet asked.

“Oh, didn’t we tell you?” Meredith replied. “Kelly’s been promoted, she’s going to be an area manager so she’s going to be moving closer to the centre of London. We’ve got a new manager starting in a couple of weeks, Appleton I think her name is.”

“Ahh, that’s cool,” Janet chuckled. “I’m sure this new boss will be as good as Kelly, though.”

“Yeah, but it’s just more change to get used to,” Meredith shrugged. “Still though, as long as it’s a change for the better, right?”

“Absolutely,” Janet replied. “And when you’re the driving force behind your change, it almost always is for the better.”

Janet’s friends and former colleagues stayed with her for another twenty minutes, before the tiny baby began to grow restless, prompting their departure. Janet wasn’t alone with her thoughts for long, though, before yet another knock came from her door. When the door opened, however, it was a face that Janet wasn’t expecting- a face that she hadn’t seen in almost a quarter of a century.

“M- Matt?” Janet asked, gobsmacked by the appearance of the middle-aged man. “Matt Hawkes?”

“Janet Cole!” The man replied in a thick East Yorkshire accent. “Now then, it’s been a few years, hasn’t it?”

“At least twenty!” Janet chuckled as her old friend leaned in for a hug. “What- how did- how did you even find out about this?”

“The miracle of Facebook and Twitter,” Matt replied with a playful giggle as he sat down at Janet’s bedside. “You’re in the old uni group too, remember? I spotted the name ‘Janet Cole’ on the group and thought ‘huh, I don’t remember a Janet Cole in our year’, and then yes, oh yes, I did remember!”

“Yeah,” Janet chuckled. “Some of those times we had, they- they were pretty unforgettable, heh!”

“That’s certainly one word for them!” Matt giggled. “Anyway, as I was saying, from Facebook it wasn’t too hard to trace ‘Janet Cole’ on Twitter, and I- I actually started following you, like, months ago. Though you’ve got so many followers you probably didn’t notice my little old name in there, heh!”

“I’ve only got about 3000 followers,” Janet mumbled as she tried not to blush.

“Which is still about 2950 more than me,” Matt retorted. “You tweeted that today was your operation, so I, well, made a few calls, heh. I’d wanted to get back in touch with you since I found you online, I just thought, well…”

“Better do it now in case I croak on the operating table?” Janet asked, chuckling as her friend rolled his eyes.

“I don’t mean it like THAT,” Matt chastised his friend. “But, well, you will be off your feet for a bit once it’s, well, ‘done’, right?”

“Oh- for weeks,” Janet sighed. “I’m NOT looking forward to the recovery. But I am very, very much looking forward to being able to be- well, me. Post-recovery, I mean.”

“I can- heh, well, I can’t imagine what it must be like,” Matt chuckled tiredly as he sat down. “But I do have some experience at least of, well, needing to be the ‘real’ me. Openly, I mean.”

“Yeah,” Janet whispered. “So, are- are you seeing anyone?”

“Been married for six years,” Matt replied, holding up his left hand to show the two rings on his third finger- the plain gold wedding band and the sparkly diamond ring above it. “His name’s Gavin, we met at work and, well, the rest is history, heh. You?”

“Married for eighteen years, divorced for three,” Janet replied with a sad sigh. “And yes, the reason for the divorce is the, well, obvious one.”

“Idiot woman,” Matt snorted. “Oh- your ex-wife, not you!”

“Yeah, I kinda guessed,” Janet giggled. “Still, I kinda knew it was gonna happen… It still hurt, though. Especially as it took years for my kids to forgive me as well.”

“Aww, you have kids too?” Matt asked with a warm, friendly smile.

“Yep!” Janet replied. “A son, Ethan, who’s twenty, and a daughter, Lindsay, who’s eighteen and off to uni in September.”

“Now that IS cool,” Matt gushed. “I’ll bet you were a great father, heh. And ARE a great mother, too!”

“Well, I- I did my best,” Janet chuckled bashfully. “How about you? Did you, you know, you and your husband never think about adopting, or having a child via a surrogate?”

“Nah,” Matt whispered. “I mean, we talked about it, but it- it didn’t seem fair, somehow. To the kid, I mean. I mean, when we were kids, can you imagine what it’d have been like if it were found out that someone in our school had two gay dads?”

“Or a transgender parent,” Janet mused. “Still though, it’s been thirty years since either of us was at school, things have to have improved since then?”

“Well, you’d like to hope,” Matt shrugged. “And it was closer to twenty-five years, especially if you count university!”

“Which I always will,” Janet said teasingly.

“And I suppose you’re right that things have improved in a way,” Matt mused. “Think back to the mid-nineties and who did we have on TV who was LGBT? Julian Clary, Lily Savage and if we were very lucky, Eddie Izzard. I mean sure, there were more, but all closeted, you know? Like Barrymore for example. Nowadays, sure, we’ve still got, like, camp gay celebrities like John Barrowman, or Tom Allen- who, don’t get me wrong, I think is an absolute delight. But you’ve also got, like, Scott Mills, or that guy who hosted Never Mind the Buzzcocks. And last, but by no means least, your best pals!”

“…My friends?” Janet asked, before rolling her eyes as she realised what her old friend implied. “Oh, right, the Angels, which you of course know because I-“

“Because you put your employer in your Twitter profile,” Matt interrupted. “And yes, I think Jamie, Kelly and all their friends are absolute delights as well. As is their HR manager.”

“…Thanks,” Janet mumbled, her cheeks blushing bright red. “And thank you for coming to see me, really. Hopefully, it won’t take twenty-five years next time, heh!”

“Well, let’s hope not,” Matt chuckled. “Even if we can’t quite get up to the same shenanigans we used to now that we’re both the wrong side of forty-five, heh!”

“No, but I think we had enough ‘shenanigans’ back then to last us a lifetime, hehe!” Janet giggled.

“Well- that’s definitely true!” Matt said. “Though even if nowadays our ‘shenanigans’ consist of a cup of coffee and a scone, it’ll still be great to catch up.”

“Definitely,” Janet said with a nod.

“Right, well, as much as I’d love to stay here and chat all afternoon, I do have shopping to get,” Matt said as he rose from his chair. “Though one advantage 2019 does have over 1994 is that 1994 didn’t have social media. Not unless you count telephones that are actually plugged into the wall, anyway.”

“Which anyone under the age of thirty wouldn’t,” Janet chuckled. “I’ll add you on Facebook and Twitter first chance I get. It was really great seeing you again, Matt.”

“Likewise,” Matt said, before giggling and leaning in for another hug with his old friend. “Let me know when you’re back on your feet and we can get that ‘shenanigans coffee’, heh. I’ll make sure to introduce you to Gavin as well.”

“I will,” Janet said, smiling happily as Matt closed the door behind him.

The sudden reappearance of her old friend had been a surprise to Janet, but not an unwelcome one, and the memories that he stirred up were also ones Janet looked back on with great fondness. When Janet started university in 1992, it had been the first time she’d ever lived away from home, which brought with it previously unknown freedoms- most importantly, the freedom to be ‘Janet’ whenever and wherever she wanted, albeit in private. Not all of Janet’s housemates at university had been as open-minded as Matt had been, causing Janet to live in constant fear that her 'secret' clothes would be discovered, but ultimately, thanks to Matt’s influence- along with several other friends- the roots of the woman that Janet would become were sown.

When Janet left university, she reluctantly left behind the happiest days of her life- not just the ability to be who she truly was on the inside, but the friends she had made as well. Nothing made Janet happier than to know that not only would the day bring with it the culmination of a lifelong dream, but it would also reintroduce her to one of the best friends she’d ever had.

However, shortly after Matt’s departure, yet another knock came from Janet’s door that reminded her that not only did she have her old friends, but she also had several newer friends who loved her just as much- even though their schedules were undoubtedly busier than Matt's.

“Hi!” The unmistakable and world-famous voice of Stephanie Abbott said with a giggle as she entered the room, followed by one of the most famous, if not THE most famous transgender woman in the UK.

“Hi Steph, hi Jamie!” Janet said, smiling as the two women exchanged gentle hugs with her. “You two didn’t have to come today, surely you have better things to do with your time?”

“Better than supporting our friend on her big day?” Jamie asked with a smug smirk. “I can’t think of anything, can you, Steph?”

“Not a thing,” Stephanie replied with a warm grin.

“Well- I’m glad you’re here, but it’s felt a bit like Piccadilly Circus today with the number of visitors I’ve had!” Janet chuckled.

“And I should hope so, too!” Jamie giggled, before smiling sympathetically. “Nervous?”

“Just a bit, yeah!” Janet laughed. “I mean, I had 45 years in the same body, now I’m going to have to, like, learn everything all over again…”

“Yeah, well think of it this way,” Stephanie mused. “It was 45 years in the WRONG body. Now you can finally be the REAL you.”

“Well… I’ve been the ‘REAL’ me for the last three years,” Janet chuckled, earning supportive smiles from her two young friends. “On the inside, at least. It’s a pity that the outside is all that people can see. It’s also a pity that’s all that most people care about, heh.”

“Oh- I agree totally,” Jamie said, earning a frown from her two friends. “People are far too focussed on stuff that’s only skin-deep.”

“…You’re a model,” Stephanie reminded the blonde woman, before giggling and sighing. “Though you’re definitely not wrong. What we have- or even what we don’t have- in our pants is absolutely no one’s business but our own.”

“Amen, sister!” Jamie giggled. “We are women, plain and simple, and anyone who can’t see that should’ve gone to Specsavers.”

“Yeah, well, I’m kinda gonna have to agree with Steph on this,” Janet sighed. “It’s a lot easier for someone who’s 5’ 5” and, what, a size 10?”

“…Size 8,” Jamie mumbled. “And yeah, I kinda get your point, but it shouldn’t be about whether or not we ‘pass’. We are who we are, we’re not hurting anyone, so what does it matter if you wear a dress, or have- well…”

“A vagina?” Janet asked with a smile. “I couldn’t agree more. Me being a woman doesn’t erase or invalidate other- well, cisgender women, you know?”

“Not even remotely,” Stephanie replied, before sighing. “I could tell you a few stories on similar lines about me and Kayla have been called, like, ‘not proper lesbians’ just because I’m trans.”

“Nikki and Sarah have said the same thing,” Jamie sighed. “I think Alexa and Jenny have, as well.”

“Yep,” Stephanie said with a tired nod. “And the worst part of it is, I’ll bet you anything that our experiences of homophobia have been almost identical to those so-called ‘real’ lesbians. It’s a bit like saying, you know, Lewis Hamilton has never experienced real racism because his mother’s white. But I bet his experiences of bigotry will be a lot more like, you know, Adeola or Abbey-Gayle than you or me.”

“Couldn’t agree more,” Janet sighed. “But the real question is, what do we do about it?”

“We carry on doing what we’re already doing,” Jamie shrugged. “Being gorgeous, feminine, successful women. Bigots are basically just bullies, they get off on trying to make people feel ashamed to be who they are. But we should be so, so proud to be the women that we are.”

“Amen,” Janet said with a smile. “Though it’s important to remember that SRS doesn’t make a woman a woman- it IS what’s on the inside it counts.” Janet smiled supportively as Stephanie nodded and tried not to blush- she knew that the young singer had been feeling stressed out recently about her own gender confirmation surgery- or rather, the decision whether or not to have it at all.

“Thanks,” Stephanie mumbled. “I’m still kinda, you know, on the fence about it. Not that I’m at- well, ‘attached’ is one word, but you know what I mean when I say ‘I’m not attached to my dick’, heh.”

“Yeah,” Jamie whispered. “Well, even though we’ve had, well, ‘history’ in the past, if you ever need to chat, I’m only ever a Facebook message away.”

“As am I,” Janet said warmly. “I mean, you’ve helped me so much, it’s the least I could do, right?”

“I think we’ve kinda helped each other over the years, heh,” Stephanie chuckled.

“Well- that’s definitely true, heh!” Janet chuckled, relaxing back in her bed as she and her two famous friends gossiped away.

By the time Jamie and Stephanie left, late afternoon had given way to early evening, and even though the sun would still be up for hours to come, Janet began to feel tired from the attention she had been shown throughout the day. As she tried to relax, Janet mused on how when she’d first come out, she’d had no one to support her- no friends, no family, no one at all. But right before the biggest step yet on her journey, Janet had so many friends that she barely had any time to be by herself. Janet intended to follow Jamie’s advice and be proud to be the woman she truly was, both on the inside and soon to be outside as well. However, she was to receive one final visitor that day who would shake her confidence- and it was the last person she expected to see.

“L- Lisa?” Janet asked, her jaw dropping and her body tensing up as her ex-wife stood in her doorway.

“Hello Jo- Ja-“ the middle-aged woman stammered, making her ex-spouse frown.

“Janet,” the middle-aged woman said firmly. “My name is Janet. That’s what it says on my driving licence, that’s what it says on my passport. It’s only two syllables, it’s not THAT hard, surely?”

“…Janet,” Lisa said in a voice barely louder than a whisper.

“What- what are you even doing here?” Janet asked, stunned by her ex-partner’s sudden appearance.

“My son told me you were here,” Lisa replied bluntly.

“OUR son,” Janet said firmly, biting her lip to retain her composure as Lisa frowned.

“…Ethan said that he came to visit you earlier today,” Lisa continued. “He told me that you were expecting an operation later today.”

“Well, THE operation, but yes,” Janet said, before remembering the confession that her son had made during his visit. “Did- did he tell you anything else?”

“Only that you were looking well,” Lisa replied. “And happier than you’ve looked in a long time.”

“I am happier,” Janet said. “Though I don’t expect you to understand, but that’s okay.”

“Well, no, I don’t understand,” Lisa scoffed. “I will never be able to understand why you threw away everything we had, nearly twenty years of marriage for- for this!”

“I’m not the one who gave it up!” Janet retorted, trying desperately to keep her anger in check. “I never stopped loving you, Lisa. But I- I just couldn’t go on the way I was, it was eating away at me constantly.”

“And being my husband and the children’s father wasn’t enough for you?” Lisa asked.

“It was only delaying the inevitable,” Janet replied. “If I could’ve pushed a button to get rid of the feelings, to get rid of the depression, the anxiety and stress, don’t you think I would have? But I couldn’t. My only options were to transition or spiral down into depression and death. And no, that is not an exaggeration, as you damn well know!”

“So, you put your needs before the needs of your family?” Lisa asked.

“Just like you did when you kicked me out without even giving me the chance to explain,” Janet retorted, frowning as Lisa scoffed.

“I never stopped loving y- John,” Lisa said. “Not- not this- person that you’ve become.”

“I am the same person,” Janet said. “I have been all along. Unless your love for ‘John’ was only ever skin deep?” Janet frowned as Lisa clenched her jaw tight shut, unable to respond to her accusation. “I think it’d be best if you left now. Unless you’re here to drop off a card?” Janet tried to smile as she gestured to the many greetings cards on her nightstand, but frowned as one of them caused her ex-wife to roll her eyes.

“’To mum’?” Lisa snorted. “You make the children call you that, now? Take away the one thing that’s still mine?”

“No, of course I don’t,” Janet replied. “My being a woman will never change the fact that you are Ethan and Lindsay’s mother, just as it won’t change the fact that I’m still their- parent. That card’s from Ellie.”

“…Oh,” Lisa said, triggering an awkward silence between the two women.

“…I’m not trying to take anything away from you,” Janet said softly. “This- my transition- it was never about trying to hurt you. I held out for as long as I did because I desperately wanted not to hurt you or the kids. But by doing so, I was hurting myself so, so much. It’s a minor miracle I lasted as long as I did.”

“What- what hurts the most was that you never trusted me enough to tell me about this all before it became an issue,” Lisa said, making Janet frown. “We were married for eighteen years, and not once did you even hint about anything like this.”

“Given how you reacted when I came out, can you blame me?” Janet asked, silencing her ex-wife. “Ugh, Lisa, we- we shouldn’t talk like this. I mean, we shouldn’t talk if all we’re going to do is argue.”

“Do you regret marrying me?” Lisa asked.

“Never,” Janet replied without hesitation. “Do- do you regret marrying me?”

“…Without you, Ethan and Lindsay wouldn’t exist,” Lisa replied. “So no, no I don’t. And… I don’t regret divorcing you, either.”

“Nor do I,” Janet whispered. “Especially not after how you treated Lindsay when she told you she’d been seeing me.” Janet bit her lip as her ex-wife’s cheeks reddened- though Janet couldn’t tell if it was through anger or shame.

“…I was angry,” Lisa said by way of explanation. “Though more at you than at her.”

“She didn’t see it that way,” Janet retorted.

“What- what exactly are you trying to say?” Lisa sneered.

“That if you’re going to accuse someone of being selfish,” Janet replied, “you maybe should take a look in the mirror first.”

“…I think we can both take some of the blame here,” Lisa conceded, though this still caused Janet's blood pressure to rise- it was clear from her tone of voice that Lisa believed that Janet shouldered more of the blame than her. However, in the interests of peace, for their children if not for themselves, Janet wasn’t going to argue any further.

“And we both need to accept that the children- well, they aren’t children anymore,” Janet said. “They’re both adults, at least in a legal sense, and we should allow them to make their own choices. Even if we don’t necessarily agree with them.”

“You’re right,” Lisa mumbled. “Though we should still support them.”

“Always,” Janet replied. “And love them. Even if- even if we don’t love each other anymore.”

“…Agreed,” Lisa mumbled, before sighing. “I- I have to go now, I only stopped in to see- to see how you are, after what Ethan- yeah.”

“Okay,” Janet said quietly. “Are you- are you meeting up with anyone?”

“Just a friend from work,” Lisa replied. “To answer what you were really asking, no, I’m not seeing anyone at the moment.”

“…Okay,” Janet mumbled. “Well- you take care of yourself. And if you do need- or even, you know, want to talk, you know where I am.”

“Okay,” Lisa whispered. “Goodbye, Janet. And- and good luck.”

“Thank you,” Janet whispered, before letting out a long, frustrated sigh as Lisa closed the door behind her. While Janet had long since abandoned any hope of reconciling with her ex-wife, Lisa’s departure felt to her like it had an extra layer of finality to it. It wouldn’t have surprised Janet if she’d never seen Lisa again, though it would have upset her- especially for the children’s sake. However, she was ultimately forced to concede that Lisa was a part of her past, and her focus should really be on her future- especially as the next person to walk through Janet’s door was her surgeon…

“So, there we all are,” Ellie said as she sat around a table in a coffee shop with all of her best friends that she'd made over her three years at college and university. “Our first lesson in the adult dance class. Three of us are stood there in leggings, sports bras and trainers. The other one of us, though, is wearing the full costume. Black leotard, pink tights, hair in a bun with a net over it, dance slippers tied to her feet with shiny ribbons.”

“…So I wanted to make a good impression,” Sade shrugged, her cheeks flushing as her friends all had a good-natured giggle at her expense.

“In all the times I’ve known you, I think I’ve maybe seen you wear a skirt twice,” Jade said. “Even today, when it’s, like, a million degrees, you’re wearing jeans.”

“I’m just more comfortable in jeans,” Sade shrugged. “Not everyone can be as uber-feminine as you, Jade!”

“Except maybe your sister!” Kacey teased the two blonde girls, who both giggled appreciatively.

“You do realise we’re taking that as a compliment, right?” Ellie asked.

“Well, duh?” Sade replied. “It was meant as a compliment? Besides which, didn’t you get a package in the post yesterday with ‘discount dance supplies’ written on it?” Ellie blushed and bit her lip to keep herself from giggling as her friend’s good-natured jeers turned in her direction.

“…Well, it was either that or steal one of your leotards,” Ellie said with a smug grin. “Though I’m drawing the line at pink tights.”

“For now, anyway,” Jade interjected, giggling as her sister gave her a gentle elbow in her ribs. “Ah, but it is SO much fun, though. Even if the teacher is a bit strict sometimes.”

“Yeah, I think I’ll pass,” Jodie chuckled. “Had enough of ‘school’ for one lifetime, hehe!”

“Where are you working now, Jode?” Monique asked.

“Still doing interviews,” Jodie sighed. “I mean, I was tempted by uni, but- nah. Not for me. I’d rather be earning money.”

“And be stuck indoors every day during summer?” Keira teased her friend, who rolled her eyes in reply.

“Are you definitely going to uni then, Keira?" Kacey asked her old school friend.

“Yep!” Keira replied with a grin. “Been accepted into Nottingham to study sports science."

“Ah, no way!” Monique squeaked. “I’m at Nottingham too!”

“Ah, cool!” Keira squeaked. “I’ve got someone to hang out with up there, hehe!”

“I’ll introduce you to the girls first chance I get,” Monique giggled. “Umm, no offence to you six, like, but-“

“You need friends when you’re up north at uni, I get it,” Ellie shrugged. “We can be, like, your London gang.”

“And up north, you can be, like, I dunno, Robin Hood and the merry women?” Jade shrugged. “Robyn with a Y, obviously, ‘cause, like, Nottingham?”

“Yeah, I get it,” Monique giggled. “And you four would be, what, the four danceketeers or something?”

“Four danceketETTES, thank you very much,” Sade retorted. “And we’re definitely going to have to make a trip up north if both of you are going to be there next year!”

“ALL of us,” Kacey said. “Especially us two cool ones, right Jodie?”

“Hell yeah!” Jodie giggled. “You can never have too many friends, right?”

“Yeah!” The eight young women all cheered, before relaxing back into their seats- though Ellie and Lindsay’s relaxation was short-lived when their phones both pinged to inform them of an incoming text message.

“Is- is that-?” Jade asked as her sister and her friend examined their phones.

“Yep,” Ellie replied. “Janet’s out of surgery, she’s awake… According to her, everything went perfectly.”

“She is in a lot of pain, though,” Lindsay said quietly. “But she knows it’ll pass.”

“More importantly,” Ellie said, “the worse pain she’s been in for, like, 45 years is over.”

“And you’ll be next,” Jade whispered, giving her sister’s hand a supportive squeeze. “And you won’t have to go through it alone, just like Janet didn’t.” Ellie smiled as she squeezed her sister’s hand back. When she’d first come out to her family, Ellie had had nothing. She’d lost her parents, her sibling, most of her friends, even a roof over her head. Three years on, however, and she had more than she’d ever dreamed of- a family who genuinely cared for her, a loving boyfriend, a younger sister- something that Ellie would never have dreamed was possible- and more friends than she’d ever had in her life. She was studying at university to get the career of her dreams, and she counted as a friend and a confidante one of the most famous singers in the whole of the UK. And she had Janet. A woman who was in as much distress as she was, but who opened up her home and her heart to a moody sixteen-year-old girl and helped mould her into the woman that Ellie had become. Ellie would always be grateful for what Janet had done and would always view her as her surrogate mother- just as Janet viewed her as her surrogate daughter.

Ellie knew that she was lucky to have the life she had. She knew that there were many transgender people who didn’t have the love and support that she had, and that at first, Janet had been one of those people- as had Ellie herself. Together with help from their ever-expanding pool of friends, they had been able to rebuild their lives, to be the women they were always destined to become. And while Ellie was envious of Janet’s operation, she wasn’t resentful like the ‘old Ellie’ would’ve been, because she knew that her time would come soon, and when it did, she would have all the support that Janet had had- and no one would support her more than Janet herself.

Nine days later, Ellie, Lindsay and all of their friends, along with Meredith, Shannon, Stephanie, Jamie and many more from Heavenly Talent were on hand to welcome Janet as she gingerly stepped out of the taxi outside her home.

“Welcome home!” Lindsay squeaked as she and Ellie helped the middle-aged woman walk up the path to the front door. “How are you feeling?”

“Still a little sore,” Janet replied. “But I’ll be fine. I’ve got all my exercises that I need to do, all my- well, all my ‘self-care’ items as well. I’m definitely feeling a lot better just from seeing all of you here today!”

“Glad to hear it,” Stephanie chuckled. “Though did you expect us to NOT be here?”

“Well… not really,” Janet chuckled. “And I do appreciate it, I really do, and I do genuinely love all of you.”

“We love you too,” Ellie whispered with an emotional smile. “…Mum.” Janet smiled and bit her lip to prevent the tears from flowing as she was escorted into her home, and her new life. She thought about how wonderful it was that modern medicine could allow two women such as her and Ellie to improve the bodies into which they were born to match who they truly were on the inside, and that they could live the lives they way they wished, as two independent, beautiful women. And not just women- as mother and daughter.

__________

SEVEN YEARS LATER

__________

“Relax, for god’s sake!” Janet chastised her daughter as she fiddled with her dress. “You look perfect, honestly.”

“Yes, yes, I know,” Lindsay grunted. “It’s just this damned corset…”

“It’s for one afternoon only, you’ll live,” Ellie said, smirking as Lindsay rolled her eyes. “Besides which, it’s your wedding day! Got to endure a little discomfort to be the most beautiful bride ever, don’t you?”

“Well- I guess,” Lindsay replied with a nervous giggle. “And it’s not like I don’t have competition there, hehe!” Janet stood back and smiled as the two young women teased each other, just as they’d seemingly done every day for the previous seven years.

Janet’s recovery from her surgery had been slow but steady, and by the time September had rolled around, she was back on her feet and back behind her desk, marvelling at how the mere act of sitting down had changed, especially in her fitted skirt suits. Over time, the sensation of having a vagina between her legs had become so ordinary to Janet that there were days that she forgot she’d ever been anything other than a woman, even as she celebrated her fiftieth birthday surrounded by all of her friends and family- even her ex-wife.

While there was still a certain coldness to their relationship, for the children's sake, Janet and Lisa had agreed to try to put the past behind them and become civil toward each other, if not friendly. However, the love that they once shared proved to be gone for good- and even though she had long since become 'anatomically correct', Janet had had no sexual partners in the seven years since her operation. This didn't disappoint the middle-aged woman, though- after all, the whole point of the operation was that it was for her and her alone, not anyone else, and certainly not any hypothetical lovers, male or female.

While Janet was content to keep to herself, though, the same could not have been said about the young women she called both her friends and her family. Even though the coronavirus pandemic of 2020 and 2021 had put a crimp in their lifestyles, both Ellie and Lindsay had had active love lives, especially the former. Ellie and Oli had remained joined at the hip during the occasions they weren’t in lockdown, and the young man had spent all of his free time caring for Ellie following her SRS in summer 2021. Which made it all the less surprising when he proposed to Ellie mere weeks later- a proposal the blonde girl didn’t hesitate to accept. The wedding two years later had been a spectacular affair. Janet had wept buckets on that day, not least because Lindsay had looked almost as beautiful as Ellie in her bridesmaid’s dress- as had Jade, despite having only had her own SRS two months earlier. It came as no surprise to Janet that after Lindsay’s boyfriend proposed to her, she immediately chose the two sisters to be her bridesmaids, with Ellie fulfilling the role of maid of honour, as while Lindsay had no biological sisters, she, Ellie and Jade were sisters in all the ways that mattered. What did surprise Janet, however (though in hindsight, she realised there was no other choice), was who Lindsay chose to walk her down the aisle.

“Okay,” the twenty-five-year-old woman said, taking a deep breath as she lowered the veil of her elaborate white dress. “I’m ready as I’ll ever be, heh!”

“Good luck,” Jade whispered, giving the bride’s hand a gentle supportive squeeze. “And just think of it this way- all you have to do is get through today, then you’ll have two weeks’ honeymoon in Portugal to look forward to!”

“Yep, hehe!” Lindsay squeaked excitedly.

“While we’ll all be back at work on Monday,” Ellie said with a heavy sigh.

“I hope you’re not implying that you don’t like working for Stuart in his studios?” Janet asked the young blonde woman, who sighed and rolled her eyes.

“No, mum, you know I love it,” Ellie said, before giggling. “Though don’t tell him that, heh!”

“My lips are sealed,” Janet said, her heart warming as Ellie called her ‘mum’ despite the many thousands of times it had happened before . “Okay, let’s go.” Janet smiled as she extended the crook of her arm for Lindsay to take. Despite being a woman, she was still Lindsay’s father, and as such was only too happy to play the role of father of the bride- even if her suit was comprised of a smart pencil skirt and low-heeled court shoes instead of the usual father of the bride ensemble.

Janet’s life hadn’t been easy, and nor had Ellie's, but they had both found true happiness together as mother and daughter. And, as Janet mused as she walked Lindsay toward her future husband, maybe she would soon be a grandfather- or even also a grandmother…

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Family

Janet and Ellie's journey is complete for now- though as always, that's not to say we'll never see them again in other Jamieverse stories. :-) I will admit, for two characters who appeared in almost throwaway scenes in chapters of 'Stephanie', they've certainly grown on me. :-) Many thanks as always to Holly Snow for her help with editing this chapter.

I've even toyed with the idea of other spin-offs of this story- I started developing one to continue the story but with Jade as the protagonist, but I wasn't able to come up with a story that didn't diminish this one, so 'happily ever after' will have to be Janet and Ellie (and their friends)'s fate, I'm afraid. ;-) Though I did introduce the 'Matt' character as a possible in to a prequel story set in 1994 featuring a 20-year-old Janet... That one's still a possibility. :-)

And speaking of other stories, normally at this point I'd link to this page on the wiki to advise you of upcoming chapters, but that's not applicable today, as I've just ended three stories (three spin-offs, come to think of it), but I have plenty more in the pipeline- chapter one of which will be the next chapter I upload here, with brand new characters to get to know and (hopefully) love. :-)

Debs xxxx

I am glad

They had a happy ending. I really did enjoy this story.

Thanks So Much Debbie

I really enjoyed this series. I appreciate that you've given your characters who are decent caring people happy endings.

They've grown on me too.

gillian1968's picture

I especially enjoyed this one of your stories although it took me a while to catch up with it.

Gillian Cairns