The Voyage of the Visund -56-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula and Tyra are in a fix and it is not certain when or how any rescue might be mounted. Down at the port, certain strange goings-on finally cause suspicions to be raised, but how are the Norse to find their companions? And what is the significance of that odd word which Ursula had overheard?

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

56 - Taken


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2022 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Mistress?"

Ursula's eyes moved to view Tyra, though her head did not move. "I have just learned something very odd and I am trying to think what it might mean," she answered.

"Oh. Do you want me to keep quiet?"

She let out a small sigh. "That will not be necessary, Tyra. Whatever it is, there is not much I can do about it while we are still in here. Besides," she added as a thought struck her, "it might even be dangerous for you to know."

The maid's eyes became round. "How do you mean, Mistress?"

She shook her head. "I cannot even give you a clue, Tyra. It might mean your death and mine."

The response was short and frightened. "Oh."

"It should not happen," Ursula tried to reassure her, "we have been dragged in here because we are wearing the wrong dresses, that is all. Soon enough, Eriana and the boys will be along and put this right. Either that or these men will give up and let us go."

"Well, I'm not wearing those things!" Tyra jabbed a finger at the heap of clothing.

"I agree. Still, I am sure we can work out something. Just be patient for now. We can do nothing else, after all."

"As you wish, Mistress."

* * *

The old man was surprised when his dranakh did not stop in the village square but plowed straight through between the stalls, causing some of the customers to scatter.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!"

The man dipped his head in apology. "I ask your pardon, Master. He does what he desires today. I do not know what has gotten into him!"

The cart rattled on down the slope to the port, the dranakh stopping only when it reached the barrier into the port proper. It bleated at the gate guard.

"Hey, now. What are you doing here? Oh, morning, Master Tarak, did Fenn get away from you?"

The old man slowed to a halt beside the gate, puffing from the chase. "Kobin, good day to you." He took a few deep breaths before adding, "I have no idea what is happening. He has been acting strangely this morning."

He decided not to mention the incident with the two women. The Wardens could be an awkward group if they felt like it. Besides, it seemed trivial.

"Ah? It happens sometimes, even with dranakh. Who are you delivering that lot to?"

"What? Oh, these, the rushes? They're not for any barge that I know of, they were supposed to be for the basket-maker on Two-mast Lane. I have no idea why Fenn decided to come down here."

The guard looked at the dranakh, who returned the gaze before facing the river once more.

"He wants something down there, I guess. Do you think he knows a mate might be down there? That's the only thing I can think of."

Tarak was doubtful. "He is old enough not to be bothered with that nonsense, I deem, though of course I know as much about it as you do. Will you let us through? You know us both well, we are not going to steal anything or cause damage."

Kobin eyed the dranakh. "Well you might not be strong enough to damage anything but Fenn is. Still, it will take more than the two of us to change his mind now."

"As you say."

Kobin raised the simple bar that marked the boundary of the port area and Fenn walked straight through. As Tarak followed him the gate guard called after him, "Tell me what you find, will you?"

"I'll do that."

Instead of stopping at the head of either of the two pontoons as would be usual Fenn made for the slipway at the upstream end. He stood there patiently until Tarak arrived, and then began wiggling his hind quarters. Tarak came to stand in front of him with his hands on his hips.

"What is it you want, Fenn? There is nothing here."

The dranakh looked directly at him, bleated a complex sentence and then wiggled his rear end again.

Tarak's shoulders dropped and he sighed. "Fenn, I am getting too old for these games now. You want to be unhitched? It seems I have little choice."

He walked to the shafts of the cart and unbuckled the straps holding Fenn's harness to the cart. Once the second buckle had been undone, Fenn immediately walked down the long slipway and into the water. He headed straight out into the Sirrel and then turned abruptly right once he had cleared the end of the nearest pontoon string.

"Maker!"

Having made sure that his cart was safe enough, Tarak walked back as fast as he could to the head of the pontoons and climbed the ramp to the first one. There were several barges moored up along with a number of the fishing boats who would go out after dark. It was not possible to see much in the water, so he hurried along to the end of the pontoon string, reaching the end as his legs began to burn. As he did so Fenn came past him, swimming away from the land and back out into the Sirrel. The dranakh went around the end of the other pontoon string and vanished.

"Maker, I am too old for this," he muttered as he staggered back along the pontoon string. "Whatever you are doing, it had better be worth all this trouble."

- - -

Fenn rounded the second corner and saw a vessel which looked something like the strange shape he had seen in the woman's mind. He swam alongside it, noticing for the first time that it was not like most of the other human vessels at all. However, to make sure he swam all the way down the outside of the other pontoon, sizing up all the other craft and mentally discarding them.

It was that vessel, the one he had first seen, and it was bigger than he had expected. Perhaps the woman with the odd colored hair was supposed to be on board? He came to a halt opposite the wooden thing and back-paddled so that he could see all of it. There were several humans on board, doing some of their incomprehensible work, or so he supposed.

One of them was a female, but surely she could not be the one? She was seated so he could not judge the height, but his other senses told him she was a juvenile... and perhaps not a female at all, despite appearances. The others were obviously male and they had on coverings of an unusual color for the area.

This was frustrating! Perhaps he had misunderstood the message? After all, his kind misunderstood much of what their owners tried to tell them - although the visions of that one had been particularly clear. He swam nearer to the vessel, lifted his mouth clear of the water and spoke.

- - -

«Hey, Tor! Look, there is a dranakh in the water and it has taken interest in us!»

«Where?» Tor stood up and saw the beast. «I see it. What does it want with us, I wonder?»

«Who knows?» Ormund responded. «What is it doing in the water? Why did it not walk along the floating dock?»

Tor answered, «The floating docks are too narrow for such a beast and the weight would probably sink them.»

«Sorry, Captain, I should have realized that.»

Brodgar added, «But that still does not tell us what it is doing here.»

He stood up, went to the hull and said, «Greetings, beast of the water. What is it you want with us?»

He was rewarded by a repeat of the same bleat as before.

«I am sorry, we do not understand what you want.»

"There you are!"

The men turned to see an old man staggering along the pontoon towards them. He reached the Visund, gasping, and leaned for support against one of the poles which restrained the pontoons. Tor jumped up off the deck to meet him.

"Can I help? Is that your beast in water?"

"Yes, he is named Fenn and I have no idea why he is here. What is he doing?"

"He floats there and makes a noise. We do not understand."

Tarak managed a weak smile. "Neither do I, Master. He has been behaving strangely all morning."

There was a girl in the strange-looking ship wearing a green dress. She suggested, "I think he might be looking for someone, Captain."

"What? How do you know that?"

Kaldara looked confused. "I do not know, Captain. The idea just came."

Tor looked at Tarak and shrugged. "We could try."

He turned to his men and said, «If he is looking for somebody we could see if it is one of us. Each of you go and stand by the hull facing it. The others keep to this side.»

Each of the sailors stood up and moved nearest the Dranakh while the others moved away, an awkward maneuver with the yard partly lowered. Each man received the same bleat, one which grew in volume each time. Tor remembered that he had not presented himself, so jumped down and faced the beast as the last man. The blast which was returned nearly knocked him over.

He called up to Tarak. "It is not us. Perhaps we have the wrong idea."

Then Kaldara stood. "Captain, maybe it is me! Can I try?"

"Why not? Try, Kaldara."

She moved to the hull and received a different response to the one the men had gotten. However, it was clear that it was also a rejection.

"I wonder." Tarak had now recovered somewhat and moved away from the pole, bowing to those in the ship. "I am forgetting my manners. I am Tarak Reedcutter and that is my dranakh Fenn."

Tor stood and returned the bow. "I am Tor son of Magnus, Captain of this ship the Visund. You have an idea?"

"Fenn gave a different answer to your girl. It seems plain to me that he seeks a female and that your girl is not the one. Do you carry other women on such a strange vessel as this?"

Tor gave a big smile which took Tarak by surprise. "We have many women, Master. All are busy in the hostel or town."

"Many women?" Tarak pointed. "On this open vessel?"

Tor pointed at the barge behind Tarak. "Also use that barge, more comfortable for women. But have carried women to sea in past."

"You sail this vessel out to the sea?" Tarak was amazed. "Never mind. I can see you are foreigners, you even speak a different tongue. Can you bring your women here, to see what Fenn says?"

"Yah. I will go and fetch. Maybe not all in hostel, I will bring as many as I find."

"Captain!" Tor turned at Kaldara's voice. "I should go, they may be upstairs."

He nodded understanding. If any man went they would not be permitted into the Women's Quarter. "Go. Bring them all."

Kaldara jumped up onto the pontoon and began running along it, her skirts flying. Tor watched her with a frown that Tarak noticed.

"Master? You do not look happy. Is the girl all right?"

"Yah, she is fine. We have not asked question, why beast wants woman."

Kaldara ran along the chain of pontoons and across the cobbled hardstanding to the port entrance, ducking under the gate pole. She crossed the narrow street outside and went into the courtyard of the hostel. It was filled with the Norsemen who were enjoying themselves with exercises and mock combat, several swords ringing in the morning air.

Watching them with amazement and more than a little apprehension were some of the other guests and many of the staff, who stood on the surrounding walkways viewing the apparent mayhem. Also gathered on a separate walkway were the five rescued women, who stood with Semma as their immediate escort. All now knew that they had nothing to fear from the Norsemen but there were others in the courtyard and so they kept their distance.

«Ha!»

Lars lowered his sword. «Highness, if you keep doing that you will ruin the edge of your sword. It is not a practice sword you may mangle and have the smith hammer out.»

Eriana put up her sword, intending to agree, but Kaldara's appearance stopped her.

"What is it?"

"Highness, something strange has happened. A dranakh is in the water by the ship and it seeks something. Captain Tor thinks it might be a woman."

"What?" Eriana tried to understand the news. "A dranakh? Whose?"

"There is an old man, I think it might be his."

"If it wanted one of us, why did it not come here?" She shook her head. "Never mind. You say it is by the ship. How?"

"It is swimming in the water, Highness. It swam around the other boats and then came back to the ship. I think it might have been specially looking for the Visund. Captain Tor thought it might have wanted one of the men but it seems not. Then I tried and the answer was no but different."

Eriana shook her head again. "I do not understand. Mayhap it wants Ursula, they have been interested in her before, but she is not here, she has gone to the market." She came to a decision. "If it wants a woman we should all go." She turned to Lars. «Collect the men. I cannot think but there may be trouble.»

«Yah. Will you need us down there?»

«I do not think so. They should grab their weapons and be ready when we return. Something is wrong.»

Without waiting for an answer she strode off to the walkway where the women were watching. "If you would all come with me, Semma as well. Something strange has happened at the ship and you may be needed. If not, you will be safer there than in the hostel."

The women looked alarmed but made ready to follow Eriana.

"Where is Bennett? Ah, Bennett, if you would join us. Something strange is happening at the Visund and Kaldara tells me that for some reason women are required."

Bennett wiped the sweat from her face and momentarily came to attention. "Of course, Highness."

Eriana remembered that there were other men involved now. She looked around, conscious that she had forgotten them. "Where are Baros and the bargemen?"

"Highness," Bennett replied, "they are probably in the market. Yesterday they required fresh attire and were having some made. Knowing we would leave tomorrow, they made haste to see what was ready."

"Ah. Then they are safely out of the way for now. Kaldara, if you would lead us back to the ship."

The girl led the group back down to the port gate, where one look at them by the guard caused the pole to be raised. Soon they had reached the Visund revealing a startled Tarak.

"If I may ask, who are you?"

The old man bowed. "Mistress, I am Tarak Reedcutter, owner of Fenn, my dranakh. I do not know what he is doing here."

"I am... let us not confuse you. I am Captain Eriana, owner of the Visund here. I have with me most of the women who sail with me and my men. What is going on?"

Tor called up, «Captain, each of us has presented himself to the dranakh, who is there,» he pointed, «but it is apparent that we are not who it wants. It gave a different answer to Kaldara and, though it rejected her as it did us, I thought it may seek a particular woman among the company.»

«Then let me test this first. What must I do?»

«Simply stand in the hull facing the beast, Captain. We will know by its reply.»

Eriana did not need to stand by the hull to know that Fenn had found the right person. Immediately he caught sight of her he thrashed in the water and let out a volley of bleats. He then surprised everyone by swimming out towards the river and disappearing.

Eriana turned and put her hands on her hips. "What is going on?"

"Captain," Tarak replied, "he entered the water by the slipway, which is beyond the other line of pontoons. I deem he will wait for you there."

Eriana was thoroughly confused by now, but dealt with immediate matters. She jumped back onto the pontoon.

"Ladies, if I must ask you to go aboard the Green Ptuvil and stay there for now. Tor and his men will watch over you, as will Semma. Tor, guard the women and hold this end of the pontoons if necessary."

"Yah, Highness." He only had six sailors with him but it would have to do.

Eriana turned and gazed into the distance where the dranakh presumably waited. "What does it want with me?" she muttered.

Tarak suggested, "Captain, he has been acting strangely this morning. I do not know why."

"Did anything happen this morning, anything at all, when this began? A sudden noise, perhaps? People running past?"

"No, Captain -"

"Excuse us, sir," Semma asked him, "if we may pass."

"Of course, Mistress." He bowed and moved to one side to let the women reach the barge.

"Wait! I recall, now, something that seemed trivial then, but they were dressed in the same attire as the mistress there."

"They?" Eriana asked, intent. "Who? When?"

"On the way here. Captain, you should know that in Tserikon there are self-appointed wardens, so-called, who wander the village ensuring that all behave in a way that satisfies them. As Fenn and I came down the street I saw a group of the ruffians, for that is what they really are, accost two women who were unseemly dressed, just as that woman there is. Not wishing to draw attention to myself, I ignored the disturbance but Fenn took an interest, calling to the women."

"Ah... perhaps! Did either of them reply?"

"Not that I noticed, Captain. Then we passed by and carried on our way, but from that moment on, it now occurs to me, Fenn's only thought was to come here to the port."

Semma, who had stopped to listen to the explanation, said, "Two women, wearing ship dresses... Mistress Ursula! Did she not intend to go to the market with Tyra this morning?"

"Aye! Thank you, Semma, you have discovered the truth, I deem." Now anxious, Eriana turned to Tarak. "So these ruffians have them, then. Where might they be taken, do you know?"

"Captain, I do not. I try to avoid having anything to do with them."

"But your beast may know, it seems."

Tarak threw his arms wide. "Captain, if Fenn knows where they may be, I would not know how he could find them."

"Enough. Let us go. Master Tarak, if you would accompany us? We will protect you should these guardians of virtue object to our presence."

"But what can you do? There are but two of you, women with swords, and I have never seen such a thing before."

Eriana smiled. "My men are all at the hostel, Master Tarak. You will be safe with us."

She spun. "Kaldara! Stay here with Tor. We could face a battle above. Tor, you know what to do."

Shortening her pace to permit Tarak to keep up, Eriana led the way back to the hardstanding and from there to Tarak's cart, where Fenn stood waiting. The Princess reached him and put her hand on his head, hoping to get a reaction, but there was none. Releasing him, she said, "Fenn, you have summoned me, here I am. Find my friends for me!"

Fenn immediately trotted up to the port gate and stood waiting. When Eriana, Tarak and Bennet joined him Kobin looked at Tarak with interest.

"My friend," Tarak replied, "it is still a mystery. The beast sought a woman, this Captain, and it appears that those Wardens have seized two women who travel with her."

"The Wardens!" Kobin spat and stared at Eriana's sword. "Captain, I hope you know how to use that sword."

"I do," she replied, "and so do all my men who have been practising in the courtyard yonder."

"Then I wish you and your men good luck, Captain. The Wardens are a pestilence in Tserikon."

He opened the gate and Fenn trotted off along the street back towards the market place.

"Stop! Wait there, Fenn."

The dranakh stopped and turned, plainly impatient. Eriana gestured at the hostel where Lars stood at the courtyard entrance waiting.

«Lars, it is Ursula and Tyra!» she called. «Some self appointed guardians of virtue have taken them.»

«We come. Boys! Ursula is in trouble!»

Tarak was surprised by the men who poured out of the hostel courtyard. "Captain, I see what you mean. Fenn, carry on."

Behind them came Kalmenar and Hashim.

"My Lord, go you to the Visund immediately. Hashim, go with him. I fear that laws are about to be broken and I would not have you accused. I would rather you were elsewhere ready to rectify our mistakes."

Kalmenar replied with a smile, "As you command, Captain."

When the mob of heavily armed men reached the market there were shouts and even one scream. Everyone scrambled out of the way as Fenn plowed through again on a reverse course. Ignoring those in the market, Eriana and her men pressed on, entering the street where Ursula and Tyra had ventured. Soon Fenn reached the point where the women had been stopped and he waited for the company to catch up.

"It was about here, Captain," Tarak explained. "We came out of that alley and the group were standing over there."

"How many?"

Tarak frowned. "I took little notice, Captain, once I saw who it was. Four, maybe five. And the two women, of course."

"Which way do you think they would go, Master Tarak?"

"As I said, Captain, I try to avoid them. I do know that they have a... meeting hall, I suppose you could call it, where they are said to gather, but it is two streets that way."

"Would they have dragged two women that distance through the streets without being noticed?"

"Captain, I do not think so, but if anyone should say anything, I could not say."

Eriana was frustrated. "Fenn! Which way should we go?"

The dranakh looked at her and bleated. It then began changing direction, as though searching, but soon turned and faced her again.

«Captain,» Lars suggested, «there may be another way.»

He reached down into his tee-shirt top and pulled out a lanyard with his whistle on the end.

«That may work. It will depend on how far away they are and if they can hear it.»

«I know. They may be inside somewhere. But it is worth a try.»

«Do it.»

He put the whistle to his lips and blew four short blasts. Tarak jumped and covered his ears. Everybody went quiet as they listened for any response.

«Nothing. Maybe they cannot reply. Do it again, Lars.»

He blew the signal again and they all listened. Faintly a reply came from somewhere across the road.

«Quickly! That alley over there!»

The men ran across and looked along the alley, seeing the men facing them in the space beyond the houses, ready with sticks - or were they swords?

«Could this be a trick?» Lars asked. «There are many buildings here, where would they be?»

«Find out!» Eriana ordered, her anxiety mounting. «Blow again.»

* * *

In the outbuilding Ursula heard the door being released and jumped to her feet. It opened and the 'boss' man came in. Several others were visible outside, all with stride-long sticks. In one hand he had a plate with chunks of rough bread and in the other a jug of water. Small mugs hung from two fingers.

"I do not know why we are feeding you but it is getting hot again so you will need water. Why have you not put on those clothes?"

He put the food and water down on the floor as Ursula replied, "We are not putting those filthy things on. They are dirty and we saw lice walking over them."

He looked at her with a sneer. "So? You'll stay here until you change your minds. I will not have any woman walking our streets looking as you do."

A call from outside. "Boss?"

He turned. "What?"

"I think you'd better come out here. Quickly."

He took the two steps needed to go outside and slammed the door. They could hear the latch drop. As before, Ursula moved to the door to try and catch the conversation but what she heard was something different.

"Tyra! Quick! I need you to whistle, as loud as you can! Four short blasts!"

"Mistress?"

"I just heard what I thought was a whistle from outside."

"Our men!"

She put her fingers into her mouth and blew. In the confined space, Ursula flinched and then covered her ears. Surprisingly, there was no apparent reaction from the men outside.

For a short while nothing happened except the sound of movement outside and then the signal repeated once more. It sounded a little closer this time.

"Do it again, Tyra!" Ursula said and covered her ears.

Then there were shouts, followed by the distinct sound of blade on blade.

Ursula moved away from the door. "Let us stand out of the way. I don't like the sound of this."

Somebody bounced off the side of the outbuilding with a sharp cry of pain. The sounds of fighting died down and then the building shook violently. Three, four, five times something pounded at the door, making Ursula wonder if the whole thing was about to collapse. Then they heard a familiar voice.

"Fenn, that's enough. We can do this now."

A different hammering then, as if someone was using an ax on the door. It flew open, pulled by the welcome figure of Lars, an ax in his free hand. Eriana rushed in, her sword bloody.

"Thank the Gods! You are safe!"

She grabbed Ursula in a passionate embrace and kissed her full on the lips.

* * *

I do not know what to do.

Ursula lay flat on her back in their chamber at the hostel. It was late afternoon and Tyra lay beside her, her breathing regular as she napped, but Ursula had been unable to drop off, the day's incidents churning repeatedly through her brain.

I do not know what to do!

The day's first surprise seemed like child's play to solve compared to the second, but the first was simply a question that required some investigation to answer. The second, though, threatened to complicate her entire life.

Am I reading too much into this or am I not reading enough? What have I missed?

Eriana's immediate reaction had been shocked, flustered, embarrassed. She had pushed away from Ursula and turned, without a further word, to run out of the outbuilding, leaving Ursula gazing into the questioning eyes of Lars.

She had given a surprised shake of the head in reply and then seen the bodies outside. Her training had taken over and she moved to the doorway.

"Is it safe, Lars?"

"Yah, Mistress."

"Then," she pointed, "I have work to do." She turned. "Tyra, come on."

Outside she collected her basket and the bag, neither of which had been touched during the short fight. Around her were five bodies, three of which were undeniably dead, one almost decapitated. One of the other two was holding a rag to his upper arm while the other had a gashed scalp and a chest wound. All were locals. Nearby, two Norse were winding bandages around each other's arms, she couldn't see the details. Other Norse were standing around, bloody swords at the ready, guarding the site. Also watching the activity was Eriana who stood next to a dranakh. She could not meet Ursula's eyes.

She squatted down to the most heavily wounded man, who made a sound and tried to back away from her.

"Don't be stupid, man!"

His voice was hoarse. "But you - You're a -"

"I am a healer and I need to look at your wounds." She was furious at the senseless response. "Did you make special plans to die today?"

He grimaced but relaxed. "No. Mistress."

"Trust me. I do know what I am doing, which is more than I could say for you or your friends."

The first thing was the chest wound, which looked worse than it was. He had taken a sword blow that had cut the flesh deeply but somehow bounced off a rib, which was clearly visible.

"Tyra! Fetch me out that jug of water, please."

"Here, Mistress."

Ursula sloshed water into the cut to clean it, then picked a numbing salve to fill the wound before fishing out her sewing kit. She stitched the cut together and bandaged it before turning to the head wound. That also needed stitches and a bandage.

"I should tell you that you should rest and let these heal properly, but that is not what will happen, is it?"

The man looked at her with a confused expression. "No, Mistress. Probably not. Why do you do this? Who are you and what are these men to you?"

"We arrived three days ago on a ship, heading upriver. We are all foreigners from remote lands. The men serve the Princess there, standing by that dranakh."

That sharpened his gaze. "She is a real Princess?"

"Oh, yes! And, as you probably found out, deadly with a sword."

"I did not know such things were possible." He looked embarrassed. "Thank you for your attention, Mistress. It is more than I deserve."

"I would not disagree. Now, If you would excuse me, I have to see to your friend, who does not know how to treat a wound to his arm."

Ursula was just tying off the last bandage to a Norse arm as Bennett appeared in the alley mouth, leading four members of the village watch, identifiable by their white neckerchiefs. They were reluctant to thread their way through the Norse but were shooed in to stand facing Eriana.

"If I must ask your intentions, gentlemen."

"What are you to these men? Are you in charge?"

"I am Captain Eriana of the ship Visund, presently in your port. These are my men and they are all sworn to me. The women you see here are also of my crew. Two of them were accosted and kidnapped, held captive in that shed there. We came to rescue them but those men decided to fight." She smiled nastily, which made the leader back away. "It was not a good choice. Two survive, three did not. One or two others may have run away."

The leader turned and studied the bodies. "Oh, the Wardens." He looked nervous as he turned back to Eriana. "Which are those who were taken?"

"Those two there." Eriana pointed to Ursula and Tyra, now repacking the basket and bag.

"What, the -" He stopped and gulped. "Yet they minister to those who took them?"

"Ursula is a healer of some skill. Her duty does not let her choose who to attend to and who to ignore."

"I struggle to understand her dedication, Captain, but I cannot condemn her for it. What is it you intend here?"

"It is I who must needs ask you that question. You are?"

"Gorath Tilesetter, Senior Watchman of Tserikon, Captain." He stared up at Eriana but thought better of making any further comment. "To kidnap as they did was unlawful, that is true, and your men are within their rights to recover the women. As we are a port we do sometimes get fights between visitors and local folk but usually there is little to concern us. However, today there are deaths. I can see - How many are dead or injured, Captain?"

"Three of them are dead, Master Gorath, those two sitting down are the injured. Two of my men were injured enough to require treatment, several others have small cuts they will deal with themselves. If you would tell me, what are these Wardens? Do they enjoy any legal status?"

"Captain, they have no legal standing in Tserikon or anywhere else. Only we four of the Watch and some few of the port have such offices. Of course, we also have a village committee which keeps general order." Gorath's expression was bitter. "But the Wardens appointed themselves to tell us how to attire ourselves and what we should or should not do. There are more of them than we four, they interfere, it has been difficult for us to do our duty."

By this time Ursula and Tyra had joined the small group, overhearing the last words.

Ursula said, "Did you know that these men are followers of the Ascendancy?"

"Mistress? The Ascendancy is no more... but I could believe what you say. What proof have you?"

She pointed. "That shed has many holes in the walls and I listened to some conversations. One of these men, I do not know which, was called a Commissioner by another. Is that a rank used only by the Ascendancy?"

"Mistress, it is, and your news confirms what we have privately believed for some time." His fellows murmured agreement and nodded. "This changes what I must needs do, I think, but the principle remains. Since we have deaths here I must needs ask an Arbiter to come from Wadek. Captain, Mistress, I do not think you will be in any danger from his questions. Where the Overlords are concerned it is easy to see that you defended yourselves as you must. These slain, in my view, only improve Tserikon by their deaths."

Eriana asked, "Who is this Arbiter? What is his purpose? We intended to depart tomorrow, how long would this delay us?"

"Captain, our Arbiters are what you could name... a kind of rural judge, I suppose. He travels around the villages of this district settling whatever ills have happened since his last visit. Of course, for anything serious those involved must needs go to Wadek. As for any delay, Wadek is only a few marks, a morning's ride for any man. If I send now, he could be here sometime tomorrow morning."

She nodded. "So, an extra day, perhaps two. We have no strict dates on which to be anywhere but I am concerned by the days that slip by. Master Gorath, we have recently come from Bakhrad, which had been held by a group of renegade Yodan soldiers. We freed Bakhrad and Bakhzorum but the delay has cost us four days."

Gorath's eyebrows shot up. "Renegade Yodan soldiers? How many?"

"I am not certain. We killed many but captured more. Maybe seventy."

"Seventy? Maker! And yet you survived."

"It was not a pitched battle, Master Gorath. We met them split into parties everywhere except at their main base, a remote farmhouse which we attacked at night. They had hostages which we freed, men and women, in such a poor state that we must needs bring them with us until they recover. But that is a different tale, I deem. What will you do with these two men?"

"We have a lockup... is that man fit to walk?"

Ursula answered, "He has a deep chest wound but it is not serious. He can walk a short distance but if your lockup is much further it would not be a good idea."

"I shall ask for a cart, then. Captain, are you and your men returning to the port hostel?"

"We will, but we can stay and offer you escort if you so desire."

"Captain, I do, and I thank you for the offer. These Wardens numbered fifteen or so and the others must know what has happened by now. The presence of your men should dissuade them from attempting anything stupid."

"They have already done that!"

Gorath sighed. "As you say, Captain. If I may ask, your attire and that of all your folk seems strange to my eye. Is this a uniform of some kind?"

"For myself, and for Bennett there, we wear the uniform of His Majesty's Palace Guard."

"His Majesty? Do you mean Palarand?"

"I do. My men wear lightweight summer attire devised for us in Joth."

"Ah, I see. But these other two women were the cause of the disturbance and their attire is also unusual."

"As you say. That was also designed by those of Joth for summer wear," Eriana explained with a straight face. "The style has become very popular almost everywhere we have landed."

"Except for Yod, I would guess. Are we so different from others you have met along the Valley, then?"

"I could not say, Master Gorath. Those below Yod, certainly, but we have yet to venture further."

Lars joined the group then.

«Ah, Lars. If you would find some men and escort Ursula and Tyra back to the hostel. Master Gorath of the Watch here desires us to provide an escort for him to take those two men to his lockup.»

«Yah, Captain.»

So Ursula and Tyra left the scene with Lars. Eriana had not once looked directly at Ursula.

- - -

"Mistress?"

Ursula yawned. "Tyra. You slept well, I guess? It sounded as if you did."

"As you say, Mistress, but I guess that you did not."

"No. I have had a lot to think about."

Tyra was unsure what to say. "About what Her Highness did, Mistress?"

Ursula smiled faintly. "Yes, Tyra, among other matters. You saw it. Tell me what you saw."

"I am not sure, Mistress. It looked like Lars pulled the door open, she ran in and grabbed you, then kissed you. Then she realized what she had done and ran away. Is that right?"

"That is exactly right, Tyra. Now, my problem is that, aside from the personal aspects of what happened, I do not know the customs of such matters in the Great Valley - and, I think, neither does she."

"The personal - Oh. As you say, Mistress. Um." Tyra thought hard then gave a timid smile. "I thought that I knew we of Joth well enough but mayhap I do not, Mistress. I do know that there are men who would rather acquaint themselves with other men than with women but two women together? Mistress, I do not know how such would be received in Joth. Of course, there are many women who are nothing more than friends together but that is not what you mean, is it?"

"No, it is not. Do you know what a crush is?"

"Of course, Mistress! Many a young girl or boy has crushes at times, it is what happens when we are growing up. Like what Lord Mathenar had, I deem. Do you tell me that Her Highness has a crush on you?"

"I begin to wonder. There have been moments during the weeks we have been together that I can now see in a different way, Tyra. It may be just an interest in an exotic foreigner like me or the care shown by a noble for someone who travels with her. Some of the questions she has asked now make me think otherwise." She mused, "A crush is one thing but I wonder if it is anything more."

"Mistress? If it is more, then I must ask, if you are willing, for your own feelings."

Ursula sighed. "It is very difficult for me, Tyra. Remember that until about three months ago I had the body of a man and little prospect of that changing soon. As such I thought that I would be interested in men but I knew they would not like what I was, an imitation of a woman. Now that I am here, and a real woman, I should be interested in men but I also know that my past may lead me to make a different choice. Would that cause you a problem?"

"Me, Mistress? If course not! Whoever you choose, you will still need someone like me beside you."

Ursula smiled warmly. "Thank you for your support, Tyra." The smile faded. "Eriana intrigues me, true, but I have never considered that she might -" She shook her head. "The idea is interesting, but it is really too soon for me to make such choices. However, Eriana is Eriana and we both know she can be an unstoppable force. We will just have to wait and see what happens."

"As you say, Mistress."

"There is one thing, though. She will not look at me right now because she thinks she has done something she should not have. This evening I must fix that otherwise the next few weeks could be impossible for both of us."

"After today, Mistress, I can only agree."

* * *

Eriana emerged from the washroom and sighed. Her stomach twisted as she remembered yet again the stupid thing she had done earlier that day. One single moment and she had broken the trust of the most important member of the company.

She climbed the rear stairs, wondering how much sleep she was about to get. As she climbed she raised her eyes - to see Ursula leaning on the railings of the landing, her attention elsewhere, and Tyra waiting, watching her. As she climbed another step Tyra bobbed a curtsey and disappeared into the building.

She reached the landing. Her smile was twisted.

"I might have known." She paused, gathering courage to say the difficult thing. "Ursula, I am very sorry about what happened this -"

"Highness, there is nothing to apologize for." Ursula turned to face her.

"There is, Ursula." Just saying the name cut deeply. "I should not have done -"

"Highness. There is no need to apologize."

The strong response took Eriana aback. "What do you mean? Surely..."

"Highness. Listen to me, for I am speaking to you now as a healer. Your healer tonight. My job is not just to sew people up and feed them potions, it is to mend their whole body and mind if I can. What happened today was completely unexpected for both of us. I could see it in your eyes, you did not know it was coming any more than I did.

"But what I could see is that it was from your heart, Eriana, and there is no blame for that. It came truly and you saw what your heart already knew and it frightened you. For me it was shock as well but more because it was something I had not expected at all. It has made me consider many questions about matters I did not think I would need to think about for many months.

"Firstly, let me make it plain to you that I do not reject what you did today. I must also add that I cannot fully accept it either. I have been on Anmar such a short time that I do not know what my preferences might be or when I will become interested in such things - or with whom. I have woman's body, I do not know if I will be attracted to men or to women... or to both or neither.

"There are other concerns. Neither of us has any idea what customs of Great Valley are if relationship is not between one man and one woman. On Earth such things can be permitted but it varies from place to place and time to time. Here I have no idea.

"The thought to me is not displeasing but we cannot explore more yet." Ursula paused to choose her words. "Do you understand what I mean if I say, 'You are pushing at door which is open'?"

Eriana nodded mutely.

"Then consider, this time door is not open yet but neither is it locked shut. Highness, we do not have time or place for this complication, there are more urgent things we have to think about before we depart. We both need time to think about what happened and decide if more might be possible - or advisable. For now we must be friends, nothing more. Perhaps when we arrive at Bibek we may know better."

Eriana bowed her head. "Ursula, your words are wise. I did not know before what would happen and I thought I had gravely offended you. Thank you. But what do you mean, there are other things to we have do now? Surely, once those men have been dealt with we can be on our way again?"

"I would agree, but when we were in that shed I overheard some conversations. The one who led that band spoke of a Leader, an Old Leader, and it sounded as if he wanted to take me to him as I appeared to be a knowledgeable healer. I can understand that, old people often have ailments. But the word he used was not leader in the local tongue, it was Führer, a word in an Earth language that I can speak. To me that suggests that the Old Leader is another transferee from Earth, and that he came to Anmar a long time ago, maybe sixty-five years ago - Earth years, I have not tried to count Anmar years."

"Another from Earth? But if he is so old then why are you interested? Just because he is of Earth? Surely, after all this time, anything he has told to those of Yod will be of little meaning today."

"But the language he used is important, Highness. He is probably German, or German speaking, and in that time on Earth, when he lived there, the German nation tried to conquer all the countries around them. They mostly succeeded for a short time. Führer is the name they gave to the leader of that madness. It is not used anywhere else because of that. Those of Germany of that time were taught that they were superior to everybody else, that the rest were lower kinds of human. Does that remind you of anyone?"

"Those of Yod!" she hissed. "The Ascendancy! Do you tell me this Old Leader may be the source of all that is wrong in this land?"

Ursula shook her head. "Not all of it, Highness. From what I have heard Yod has been like this for a long time. But this man may have started the most recent rise, he may even have created the Ascendancy itself."

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They dont need anyone's approval

Anyone who says otherwise can meet Eriana in the ring of honor... and get patched up by Ursula later.

So fascism

Wendy Jean's picture

Has come to the land of Yod. It is rarely good no matter where it comes.

Ursula is wise

they both need time to settle some things before exploring a relationship

DogSig.png

true but at the end of the

true but at the end of the day, she only needs be concerned with 2 people approving of such a relationship, and she's one of them.

Not so

What if that kind of relationship is illegal in all or part of the Great Valley? That is one reason why Ursula does not want to explore further. Neither of them has the faintest idea of the local laws concerning such matters. They need to learn more before they even think of doing anything.

Everything we have seen so

Everything we have seen so far suggests its likely a matter of custom, like property ownership, outside of perhaps Yod there are likely no laws forbidding it, yes they should check, to see if anything needs changed, but in these matters at least in Paraland only 4 people outrank Eriana, and at least one (though currently somewhere else entirely) would not only support it but see it as an opportunity to move things along.

Old Leader

I get the feeling that it is not THE leader brought from earth, because in the 65 Anmar years he would have pushed for weapons. Instead they had to wait for a young French lad. That is not to say someone hasn't arrived with the similar plans for domination.

look at the strategy Yod used

look at the strategy Yod used, this is likely someone from before Normandy, and possibly even Kursk or they'd caution against overstretched supply lines

You're assuming it was

You're assuming it was someone in the upper echelon of the officer corps. Those would have been much older men, and dead by now. Lieutenants and even younger Captains would know very little of what was going on outside of their small domains. Remember, these weren't West Point graduates, but mostly raised from the ranks.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

true, though if they were

true, though if they were involved in the eastern campaign, or post Normandy they would have felt the pressure of over strained supply lines. Only when the war actually got hot (end of "phoney war") did Blitzkrieg actually work that well, in part due to failure of French leadership. in later campaigns they were frequently running out of fuel and supplies,

If he was the Fuerher he may

If he was the Fuerher he may have wanted weapons, but it doesn't mean he was smart enough to know how to build them.

But then neither did Yves.

Yves also did not really know how to build guns, only the principles. This leads to possibly interesting directions of the story.

I love it when an author resolves and raises several new directions at the same time.

Wonderful writing, Penny.

Much Love,

Valerie R

he knew enough to give them

he knew enough to give them faulty info and the ingredients for black powder

Presumably

joannebarbarella's picture

This Fuhrer was a female back on earth and has been transformed as have the other transferees. So we must look for a woman Nazi with the necessary charisma who has been transplanted to Yod.

Nobody immediately springs to mind. I could have it back to front, of course.

Not necessarily

Hi there,

Garia was/is the first transferee to be able to communicate with the Beings. She reported to them that her gender had in fact been changed and this was the first time that they even had an inkling of gender.

As a result, the Beings did a small experiment with Maralin and tried deliberately to change the gender. This was a valuable lesson to them.

Not everyone is changed (Yves as a current example) so this Nazi-influenced person from 60-odd years ago might not have been changed and could be anyone if you think about it. We do not know, maybe even never will know, this Leader's age. But that person will have been on Anmar for over 50 Anmarian years already (I can't be bothered to do the maths to give an accurate figure here.)

Back in 1945 there were many Germans on the point of death, from Nazi Leaders all the way down to the Hitler Youth. The Russian armies were pouring in from the east and killing indiscriminately. The Western allies were also storming in from the South and the West.

If this person was an older Nazi, then I feel sure that old age would have got them by now, so I tend towards thinking that this is a soldier or a youth - after all they issued weapons to 14 year olds and gave them no training, in an attempt to stem the attacking hordes.

For more on this subject see https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hitler-Youth

So for my money, this Old Leader was someone under 30 who had been a soldier or indoctrinated in the Hitler Youth programme. Maybe it was a soldier killed in Holland or France or Belgium or on the Eastern Front which was imploding as the war came to an end.

That's my guess anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Cheers, Joolz.

that would explain the Yoddan

that would explain the Yoddan strategy without needing someone from early on the war, Youth would explain unfamiliarity with the ingredients of basic gunpowder, and eventually spreading the superiority complex to those who found him.

I have a Youth Group flag

I have a Youth Group flag somewhere, that I picked up as a collectible. It's definitely post-WWII, because it's either silk or a synthetic, and I'm leaning towards synthetic. I suspect it's from Brazil or similar.

Never really found anyone to pass it on to. I'm not a fan of destroying history.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Got a bit sidetracked

... but the Appendices are now updated.

Reading too much into the kiss

BarbieLee's picture

Women normally don't kiss each other but these are not normal times. And how attached is Eriana to Ursula as a friend? So glad to find she hadn't been killed to lose normal inhibitions? She had certainly set her sights on Kreem before getting pushed away by a certain girl who already snagged him. Ms. Lane might have tossed all of us a fake pass. Remember Eriana and crew have been fighting their way upstream almost at every bend in the river. It certainly isn't the easy colorful exploration trip anyone thought it would be when they were assigned the task.
Hugs Penny, great chapter
Barb
Life is a gift, don't waste it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Oh dear - have I missed someone?

You mention Kreem here.

Who is he and where does he come from? I have no entry for him in the Index. Have I screwed up somehow?

Panic!

Joolz

Kreem

It's been a while, Julia. Keren was first mentioned in 2010 and we're all a little bit older since that happened.

I'm making no comments at all about age. Or getting older.

Penny

Careful, I can see your

Careful, I can see your tongue starting to come out that left cheek...


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.