Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 5 Our Wedding Day

Friday 10th January 1812
Now that the Christmas celebrations are concluded, we are concentrating on my forthcoming wedding. Papa has sent out invitations which I wrote myself, and he was kind enough to say that they look very fine, both in design and the wording which reads:


Professor Sir Robert and Lady Margaret Bolton have great pleasure in inviting
Name of the person or persons invited
to the wedding of their eldest daughter
LEONORA ELIZABETH BOLTON
to RICHARD CHARLES D'ANGLAIS,
son of Sir John and Lady Elizabeth d'Anglais
to be celebrated at St Nicholas Church, Marston, Oxford
on Saturday 15th February at 10am
and afterwards to a wedding breakfast celebration
at Northbridge House, Oxford.
R.S.V.P.

I confess I was surprised to learn that the number of guests is confined to family members and some close friends, totalling only twenty-six people. I had expected that as members of the ton, we would have had rather more people in attendance, but since I do not remember attending any weddings previously, I had nothing to compare it against.

The minister, Rev Henry Irvine has already been approached to book the date and will be reading the banns for the three preceding Sundays. We have known him for many years and were pleased to hear that he and his wife will accept our invitation to attend the wedding breakfast.

Wednesday 15th January
Today, Mama, Emma and I travelled to Oxford again, stopping at Marston House to take Lucy and Sarah with us in the coach. Our intention was to make decisions on the gowns which we would wear for the wedding. Emma's dress is white to symbolise purity and her task as flower girl is to scatter flower petals and herbs before me as I walk into the church. My gown is cream silk decorated with flowers and Lucy and Sarah are to wear identical gowns of pale blue muslin decorated with flowers. We will return to the dress shop next week to check that they fit well. In addition to the dress, I will be carrying a bouquet of flowers and wear flowers in my hair and a veil hanging behind my head.

Upon returning home, Papa informed me that everyone has accepted our wedding invitations. Some of the people who will be present I have never met before, or else before my sickness, and Papa has taken care to inform them about my loss of memory so that they are not offended if I fail to recognise them.

Sunday 19th January.
We, together with the d'Anglais family were at church today to hear our banns read for the first time. I know it sounds foolish, but I caught my breath in the few seconds of silence after they were read for fear of someone calling out an objection, which didn't happen of course.

At the conclusion of the service, some members of the congregation who were unaware of our engagement offered their congratulations which of course made me blush and smile with pleasure.

Monday 20th January
Mama invited me to attend her discussion with our cook, Mrs Chambers regarding the wedding breakfast which will take place about noon. Importantly, there has to be a cake which will be ritually cut by Richard and I, and pieces distributed to all present. The main courses will consist of soup, hot and cold meats including beef, tongue and chicken, a variety of breads, toast, various fruits, chocolate and cheeses.

Wednesday 22nd January
Today Papa said he wished to see me on some important matters related to my marriage. With some trepidation I knocked at the door of his study at the appointed time. As usual he stood and bowed to me and I in turn curtsied to him.,

He invited me to take a seat and began as follows. “Leonora, you may not realise but marriage has its legal requirements, called marriage settlements, including a dowry to be settled upon you, and also provision for you and your children. Since I am in possession of a large fortune and only have two daughters, I wish to settle on you the sum of two thousand pounds.”

I think I may have gasped. This is an enormous sum of money.

“You may think this is a large sum,” Papa continued. “But in the event that you may find yourself alone at some stage, the interest from the dowry will enable you to maintain yourself in the lifestyle to which you have become accustomed.”

It was kind for Papa to express it this way. I realise that in most marriages the wife outlives the husband, assuming she survives childbirth, maybe on many occasions. However, this is not something to contemplate when one is on the cusp of getting married. It is human nature to always hope for the best.

Monday 27th January
Today I was discussing with Mama what clothes I would be taking with me on my honeymoon.

“Has Richard discussed where you will be visiting yet?”

“Yes Mama, he wishes to visit two aunts who live in Chelsea in London, so I have begged a visit to the British Museum in view of my interest in the antiquities of Egypt, of which the museum has a significant collection, and I'm glad to say he has agreed. There is also talk of visiting his Grandmama who lives in the family mansion in Grasmere in the Lake District.”

“I'm sure you will have a most enjoyable time,” said Mama. “You must certainly take warm cloaks and pelisses; you do not want to catch a chill. You will be taking your maid Marie of course. You cannot be expected to attend to your dressing and hair on your own. I imagine Richard will take his valet too.”

I confess I had not thought of this, but of course Mama was right. As members of the ton, it would not do to have to attend to personal matters ourselves. This evening I spoke to Marie as she was preparing me for bed, and it seems she took it for granted that she would be coming with us on our honeymoon.

“I believe that Mr d'Anglais will be taking his personal valet too. Do you know him?” I asked. I did not fail to notice that a faint blush reddened Marie's cheeks.

“Yes Miss Bolton, I believe his name is Robert,” she replied. It seems she had met him, and I wonder if there is any attraction between them, but that is not my business, so long as they both perform their duties as expected.

Monday 3rd February.
Yesterday our banns were read for the third and final time, again with no objection I'm pleased to say. The days are rushing by, and our wedding is less than two weeks away. Some packing of my clothes has already been accomplished and it seems that two very large trunks will be enough for them. Thank goodness we do not have to carry them ourselves.

Richard calls on us most days. Today he told me that he had a special wedding present for me and handed me a gift box. When I opened it I saw a magnificent silver necklace with a large pendant emerald surrounded by tiny diamonds, and matching pendant earrings. For a moment I felt totally lost for words.

“Oh Richard! It is so beautiful!” I finally managed to exclaim.

“No; you are beautiful. This is merely to add adornment to that beauty,” he replied. “May I?”

“Of course,” I replied, and taking the necklace he stood behind me and carefully draped it around my neck. I could not avoid examining myself in the mirror and was so pleased with what I saw. I attached the earrings, and of course I would be wearing them to my wedding, but then a thought struck me, and my eyes filled with tears.

“Richard, you are so generous, but I have nothing to give you in return!”

“On the contrary, my dear, you are giving me yourself and that is worth more to me than any jewellery. You are a pearl beyond price.”
.
“Oh Richard!” I gasped, and in a moment, we were kissing

“I can hardly wait to be yours,” I whispered in his ear as our lips parted.

I confess I love him so much that the days drag until our wedding day, although the thought of it also frightens me to a degree. Despite her promise, Mama has not told me what to expect on our wedding night except in the vaguest of terms like 'as a wife you have to submit to your husband' which tells me nothing. However, I have a plan.

Tuesday 4th February.
This evening, while Marie was helping me prepare for bed, I decided to ask her what she knew of married life. To my surprise she blushed and asked me how I knew.

“Knew what?” I asked her greatly puzzled.

“About my marriage,” she replied looking greatly confused. Then the secret came out. It seems that she had been married for a short while, years before coming to work for my parents as my personal maid. Sadly, her husband who was a stone mason, was working on the repair of one of the university colleges, when he fell, badly injuring his head. He lingered for some days and then unfortunately died. She had not confessed that she was a widow when she applied for the position with our family, fearing that having been married might spoil her chances of securing the position as maid to me. I did not think that this would be so, but in any case, I promised to respect her secret.

From my point of view, the important thing was that she could tell me all I wanted to know from her personal experience, and this she proceeded to do, answering all my questions frankly. I confess that in some ways it appeared a little frightening, but Marie assured me that when my turn came I would find it most gratifying. I'm sure she is right, after all the Lord God would hardly make such intimacy between husband and wife something to be feared or disgusted by.

Monday 17th February.
Two days ago was our wedding day, and this is my first opportunity to record the events of that wonderful day.. Marie aroused me early so that I could have a light breakfast of my favourite honey cake, plum cake and hot chocolate which would sustain me until the wedding breakfast which was to take place after mid day. After this, I bathed and then Marie started to dress me. Meanwhile, in other parts of the house, Mama, Papa, John and Emma, were also breakfasting and dressing. I confess that my heart was already beating faster in anticipation of what was to come.

When I descended the staircase to where Papa and John were waiting below, Papa's face broke out into a beaming smile.

“Dear Leonora, I have never seen you look more beautiful. Richard is indeed a very lucky man to have you,” he said, and I was all blushes and smiles as you can imagine. Mama likewise showered me with compliments, and pretty little Emma who looked lovely in her flower girl dress stood there open-mouthed when she saw me. I stooped to kiss her and said, “One day you will get married too, Emma, and I hope to be your Matron of Honour.”

“Oh, yes please!” she replied.

I travelled to the church in the family coach with Papa, while Mama, John and Emma followed in a hired coach. It was a beautiful sunny day with a cloudless blue sky. The air was crisp but not unpleasant as I wore a cloak on the way to the church to keep warm. When we arrived there, we were met by the Reverend Mr Irvine at the church door, who assured me that Richard and his Best Man, an old school friend called Archie were already waiting in the vestry. My attendant bridemaids Lucy and Sarah were also waiting there, both looking very pretty in their blue muslin dresses. I could hear the organ playing, and a glance through the windows of the church doors revealed that there were a large number of parishioners present which did surprise me. I did not realise that our wedding was creating such interest.

All being ready, Mr Irvine walked around to the vestry door to alert Richard and Archie that the ceremony was about to start. The three of them walked out into the chancel and at a signal to the organist, he began to play Jeremiah Clarke's 'Prince of Denmark's March”. Emma led the procession scattering rose petals and herbs from the basket that she carried. I was very proud of her. Papa and I followed, with me on his arm, and we were followed by Lucy and Sarah. Pappa escorted me to Richard's left side where he gallantly kissed my hand and placed it in that of Richard. He then stood back to join Mama in the front pew, whom I later found out was grasping smelling salts for fear of being overcome by emotion.

I am sure Richard could feel through my hand that I was trembling, as he turned to me and smiled. Suddenly all my fears were as naught.

Mr Irvine began the wedding service “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here...” the words of which are so familiar. When the ritual was completed, and I had received a ring from Richard, we were truly married. We then both took communion and signed the church register. The church organ struck up again and we walked down the aisle to receive the congratulations, first of Mama and Papa and then Sir John and Lady d'Anglais, to each of whom Richard bowed and I curtsied, then passed the assembled guests and congregation, receiving their congratulations. I could scarcely believe it, I was now Mrs d'Anglais.

Regency wedding.jpg

To be continued

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a joy to daily share Lenora's...

Moments up to her wedding. As you said, we've often become familiar but it becomes different when we're fortunate to share as one of the participants. Especially, Laura, it was like hearing her heart. I enjoyed her learning from her maid what to expect.
Richard is quite the romantic, what a blessing.
Thanks so much, Bronwen; you are writing a lovely story.
Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Weddings always make me cry

Lucy Perkins's picture

That was beautiful..really beautiful. Thank you Bronwen. So many lovely parts to this chapter ( I love that Marie was the one who had to have " the talk" with Leonora, who, even as Leonard, from memory, would have not encountered what she is now about to )
I love that little Emma was scattering flowers and herbs.
I love that mother was was grasping smelling salts for fear of being overcome by emotion.
Oh yes, and a lovely picture of the new Mr and Mrs D' Anglais. A lovely Regency couple. Just look at the way that he is looking at his wife..the look of love indeed...
Perfect ...
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Just Lie Back

joannebarbarella's picture

Spread your legs and think of England. Actually I hope Leonora got better advice than that!

Lovely Wedding

terrynaut's picture

I continue to enjoy this nice little story. The wedding was lovely.

Thanks and kudos (number 35).

- Terry

Leonora and Richard tie the knot

Julia Miller's picture

Congratulations are in order for the happy couple. I hope Leonora received all the advice in order to have a happy wedding night with Richard. I do wonder about Leonard becoming Leonora. We really don't have any way of knowing, but is he slowly losing his old personality and memories, or do they still remain in place. Leonora is certainly having an exciting time, and I guess that Leonard/Leonora doesn't want to jeopardize this by admitting anything that would make people think she is crazy. Since telling people you were once a man and your conscience traveled into the past where you became this amazing woman, would probably not go down well with anyone else.