Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 12 A visit to the Wordsworths


Friday 20th March

Today is the last day that Anna will act as my maid, since Marie and Robert are due back this afternoon. I have been very satisfied with her; she is intelligent and a quick learner.

During our time together I have had the opportunity to learn something of her background. She is an orphan, being the only survivor of a house fire which sadly claimed her parents and three siblings, and she was brought up by an elderly aunt who died last year, so she has no living relatives. I have an idea which I will discuss with Richard, Marie and Mrs Owens before speaking to Anna about it, but I did ask her how she had enjoyed her short time as my maid.

“Oh! Very much ma'am! I hope you will not be offended if I say that I could almost wish Marie to be away a little longer.” Then she blushed deeply, thinking that she might have said too much. I smiled to reassure her.

“I have enjoyed having you as my maid too. Here are two shillings as an expression of my thanks for all your hard work.”

Anna curtseyed again and seemed almost lost for words, finally coming out with “Thank you again ma'am, but I did my duty and was paid for it, so your gift, while very kind, is not really necessary.”

“I know that, which is why I gave it to you,” I replied. I must admit her naïvety amuses me – she is very young.

This afternoon, while we were taking tea in the drawing room, my rather acute hearing picked up the sounds of carriage wheels and a single horse. It did not stop at the front door but continued to the servants' entrance around the side of the house. I knew that it was most likely Marie and Robert returning, and looked forward to seeing them., but I could not appear to be in a hurry for the reunion.

Later in the afternoon, when I returned to my room, it was to find Marie there busy as ever.

“Marie! How was your honeymoon?”

Marie curtseyed and a faint blush suffused her cheeks “Very pleasant, ma'am, thank you. I must thank Mr d'Anglais for suggesting we go to Windermere; it is an excellent place for an holiday. May I ask which of the maids served you while I was gone? She seems to have done a good enough job.”

“It was Anna,” I replied.

“Anna?” she echoed me.

“Yes. I know she is young and inexperienced, but everyone must start somewhere, so I thought to give her a chance, and I was quite pleased with her response. Of course she isn't you, but I came to no harm in five days. In fact, having learned that she has no family here, I have it in mind to offer to take her back to Oxford with us. You need not fear for your position, but I thought that she could act as an assistant and apprentice to you. I shall be quite busy there, being mistress of the house and there will be much to do.”

To my relief, Marie smiled: “That is so kind of you, ma'am. I had been wondering if there was any way to improve her chances in life, knowing that she is an orphan, and I think this would work very well. As you know I have already made friends with her.”

“Excellent! But not a word to her yet. I must consult Mr d'Anglais and Mrs Owens and then as a courtesy, Sir John, to see if they are in agreement. I would not like to be accused of being a poacher!” I said and smiled.

I consulted Richard this evening just before we retired to bed, and he said that I was welcome to make the arrangements if that is what I wanted. He said he would support me, but I realised that this was something of a test for me. When I am mistress of the house in Oxford, I will have to make decisions for myself instead of relying on Richard to always make them. He will have enough to do himself.

Saturday 21st March
After Marie had assisted me to dress, and I must admit it was good to be in her hands again, I asked her to pass the word to Mrs Owens that I wished to see her in my dressing room, and for Anna not to be in evidence during our interview.

I confess that my heart was beating a little faster than normal when there was a knock on my dressing room door and Mrs Owens entered. She gave me the usual formal curtsey.

“Good morning, madam, you wished to see me?”

“Yes, Mrs Owens, it's about Anna.”

“Was she unsatisfactory? I can discipline her if you wish.”

“Not at all; she was very satisfactory, thanks to your training,” I said. A little flattery never goes astray, even with someone as stern as Mrs Owens.

“I am pleased to hear it,“ she said.

“In fact I have a proposal to make her even more effective. As you know, Mr d'Anglais and I will soon be returning to Oxford, where I will assume my position as mistress of Marston House; so I am thinking, with your concurrence of course, to take Anna back with us if she wishes, to act as an assistant and apprentice to Marie, my maid. That is if you can spare her of course?”

“Oh!” she said, obviously surprised. “Well, if that is what you wish madam, I'm sure we can replace her, especially if she can be of assistance to you.”

“Thank you, Mrs Owens, I really appreciate your support,” I said, feeling very relieved. While I will of course mention it to Sir John, that is purely as a courtesy, he does not get himself involved with the staff, provided that they do their duties as requested.

Later in the morning I knocked on his study door and with his acquiescence entered. Ever the gentleman, he rose from his desk and bowed when he saw me and I responded with a curtsey.

“Is there something I can do for you, my dear?” he said.

“Yes, Sir John, I have come to make a request of you. I am proposing to offer one of the junior maids an opportunity to come back to Oxford with me to train as a lady's maid under my personal maid Marie. I have spoken to Mrs Owens who has agreed to my proposal, so if you have no objection, then I will make the offer to her.”

“Is that all?” he said, smiling. “I am sure I can count upon your good sense, especially as upon returning to Oxford you will be taking over as mistress of Marston House, so of course you have my approval.”

“Thank you very much, Sir John,” I said. “I will not intrude upon your time any longer.” With another curtsey, I left the room.

After conveying Sir John's approval to Mrs Owens, I requested that Anna attend me in my dressing room, in order to break the news to her.

A few minutes later I heard a timid knock on the door, and upon calling out 'Enter', Anna appeared looking a little frightened when she curtseyed. I smiled so that she would have no fear and explained to her my proposal. I think I have never seen such a look of joy on anyone's face.

“Oh madam, that is more than I could ever dare hope for!” she cried.

“I believe you deserve a chance,” I replied. “And Marie will be a very good teacher. Take care to remember everything she tells you. In the meantime, until we leave which may be next week, remember that you are still under the supervision of Mrs Owens, so I suggest you thank her sincerely for permitting you to come with us. I will give you several days’ notice of our departure so that you have time to pack your belongings.”

I thought to myself that Anna probably had very few personal items apart from her clothes, so it would not take her long to pack. When Richard and I were alone this evening, I told him of my success in organising Anna's transfer and he complimented me on it. It has occurred to me that in some ways I have passed a test. I know there will be many more in future. When I told him that I had approached Sir John to gain his approval, he smiled and said he did not think it really necessary, since Sir John probably had no idea who Anna was, but nonetheless it was an act of politeness and a courtesy on my part.

Monday 23rd March

A letter arrived today from Mr Wordsworth saying that he, his wife and sister would be pleased to receive us at the Old Rectory on Tuesday afternoon, or any other day which was convenient to us. Richard has agreed that we will visit them on Tuesday since we have no other commitments.

Tuesday 24th March
This afternoon we took the barouche to the village and arrived at the Old Rectory about two o'clock. Upon knocking at the door, a maid opened it and ushered us into the house. It is certainly a draughty old place and feels damp. I would not wish to live there. She showed us into the parlour where a fire had been lit which to a degree ameliorated the deficiencies of the atmosphere. We were greeted by Mr Wordsworth who introduced his wife Mary and his sister Dora.

“It is indeed a privilege to meet you Mr Wordsworth,” I said. “I did not realise you lived so close by or I would have requested a visit earlier. I have a small volume of your poems, which I received as a gift before my first visit to the Lake District, so I feel that in some ways I already knew it, particularly after reading 'I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud'. It came to my mind again recently when walking beside the lake and coming upon Spring daffodils in bloom.”

Mr Wordsworth smiled. “I wrote that when we were living at Dove Cottage. Indeed, I wish we were still there but it became too small for our growing family. Perhaps you did not know that we have five small children? This house really does not suit us at all and we are seeking to rent another one. I recently viewed one called Rydal Mount which appears most satisfactory, and we intend to move there as soon as the present tenant vacates it.”

“I'm sure you will be very happy there,” I said.

“Are you familiar with the house?” asked Mrs Wordsworth.

“No, ma'am; but I have seen it from the road, and our coachman told me its name. The circumstances of its placement seem to me to be greatly superior to this house.”

“Indeed, they could hardly be worse,” murmured Miss Dora. Then changing the subject, she said: “So this is your second visit to the Lake District, Mrs d'Anglais. How do you find it?”

“Very pleasant indeed,” I replied. “It will always have a special place in my heart since I met Mr d'Anglais by chance while visiting the old Druid Circle on the hills above Keswick.” In response to her questioning look I continued: “He came to my aid when I felt faint from the heat. While I am no writer, I do very much enjoy drawing and painting, and on this visit, I have been busy making sketches in order to aid my memory, just as I was doing on that day, so that I can make some completed drawings and water colour paintings when I have the time, but that will probably not be until we return to Oxford. Spring here is very beautiful with the young lambs gambolling in the fields, and of course the daffodils that I mentioned seeing. I plan to paint a water colour of them beside the lake, inspired by your poem, Mr Wordsworth.

“If we have the honour of a visit from you on a future occasion, I hope you will be kind enough to show us some of your work,” said Mrs Wordsworth.

I could feel myself blushing “I fear they are very much the efforts of an amateur,” I said. “But I will be pleased to show you some. I'm sure we will be returning to Grasmere on a number of occasions to visit Sir John and Lady d'Anglais.”

There is an old Latin saying ‘Carpe diem’ – seize the day. Sometimes an opportunity arises but once, and if we do not take hold of it, it is lost forever. Such an opportunity was now. I could feel myself blushing, but I determined not to lose this chance.

“Mr Wordsworth, I hope you will not think me forward, but it would be a rare privilege to hear you recite ‘I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud’. To hear it from the poet’s own lips would be something I would remember for ever.”

Mr Wordsworth smiled. “I wonder if I can remember it? I can but try.” At this point he stood up and spoke those wonderful words:

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.”

Daffodils-by-lake2.jpg

There was a moment’s silence when he had finished and then all present applauded. I confess I shed a tear at hearing such beauty. My host and hostesses kindly overlooked my emotional response, indeed I think they took it as a compliment. I suspect that in years to come, this will be the poem for which Mr Wordsworth will be most remembered.

At this point a maid entered with the tea things, and the conversation continued. I asked Mr Wordsworth if he was currently composing any particular new works, and he mentioned an autobiographical poem called 'The Recluse', which he intends to compose over a number of years. He also kindly told me that a few years back he had published a compendium of his work called 'Poems in Two Volumes'.

“If you do not possess it, perhaps you would accept the gift of a copy?” he said.

“I would be delighted to accept it,” I replied, and after he left the room and returned with a copy, I asked him if he would be kind enough to write a dedication to me on the title page, which he proceeded to do. I shall certainly treasure it.

I asked if I might be permitted to see their children, and Mrs Wordsworth was kind enough to accede to my request, indeed I think she was pleased with my interest, and arranged for their nurse to bring them into the parlour. There are five children; John, who is nearly nine, Dora, seven, Thomas, five, Catherine, three, and William, two. The two elder boys bowed to us, and Dora performed a pretty curtsey. The two youngest merely stood and stared at the strangers, but that is to be expected. They are very well behaved, and I complimented Mrs Wordsworth on them. I couldn't help noticing that Catherine is very pale and has a chronic cough and I do hope she is not suffering from consumption. I am sure that the unhealthy atmosphere of the house is not helping her, and I hope that their removal to Rydal Mount will be soon. I did take care not to come too close to the children and I hope it was not noticeable.

When our visit concluded, we accepted an invitation to visit the family when we are next at Grasmere, and I hope to find them at the new location.

As we travelled back to the Hall, Richard asked me how I had enjoyed my visit.

“Very much indeed, and it was so kind of Mr Wordsworth to recite and make me a gift of his poems. I will treasure it,” I replied. “However, I fear for his children, particularly the younger ones, living in that unhealthy atmosphere. I do hope they remove to their new home soon.

To be continued

up
74 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Daffodils

Lucy Perkins's picture

I fear that I share with Leonora a love of the poem, as it evokes Spring in Cumbria, which is my favourite time of year in one of my favourite places.
In fact the thought of Wordsworth reciting the poem to Richard and Leonora brought tears to my eyes. To stand in Dora's field beneath Rydal Mount and watch the daffodils dance in the breeze is a wonderful thing.
Talking of which, well done to Leonora for giving Anna a start in life.
This was another lovely chapter, Bronwen. Many thanks
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

I Always Wait

joannebarbarella's picture

With bated breath, for the latest chapter of this beautifully told story.

I'm never disappointed, except for how long I must wait.

foresight

Can be a curse as well as a blessing.